Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #661
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, all.

Interesting nutshell history of food, from a Paleo diet perspective. Nicely done chart.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-11-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #662
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Hi, all.

Interesting nutshell history of food, from a Paleo diet perspective. Nicely done chart.
Glad I stopped in and didn't miss this. Auntie Em, great and interesting chart. Glad I got to it before it disappeared back to the next page of this thread. Everything moves fast here. LOL I'll be pouring over this chart for awhile yet after company leaves, but looks very interesting.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #663

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Hi, all.

Thanks for posting this link, Auntie Em.Great graphic, most of us are so visual, it would be an awesome thing to give to people to explain why we eat the way we eat.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #664
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
Thanks Auntie Em.

I traipse around to most of the sites you link to, but I usually am too lazy to do it regularly and end up following your links.

You are a treasure and I very much appreciate you.
CalRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #665
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hi CalRon!

Nice chart, Auntie Em. Thank you for posting!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #666
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Hi CalRon!

Nice chart, Auntie Em. Thank you for posting!
Ditto!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #667
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, all. Thanks very much for your kind thoughts.

Ron, it's nice to have you post in this thread.

I thought that chart was worth a look, even if he, or she, did leave out quite a few important books.

Found something interesting yesterday about glucose metabolism in the frontal lobe, and OCD hoarding.

International OCD Foundation (IOCDF) - Hoarding Center

I am wondering how much a low carb, ancestral/evolutionary/paleo diet would remedy such things. Dr. Emily Deans is the only doctor I know of who blogs about the chemical pathways in the brain, nutrient deficiencies and their behavioral consequences, and how eating real food helps. Here is her latest on Fat Loss, Mood and Cognition, part I.

Hope you all are having a lovely morning.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #668

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Auntie Em, excellent links, as always! I am very interested in brain function and behavioral psychology, and Dr. Deans' article was extremely interesting.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #669
Major LCF Poster!

Tom Naughton, has, as usual, some useful food for thought at his blog. I enjoy it that he can expose lies and tell the truth with such good humor and aplomb. His blog is called Fathead-Movie. Can't post a link to it, as he has a couple of things for sale on his blog.

ETA: Dr. Deans has an article on Magnesium at her blog at Psychology Today.

In case anyone missed the Milk of Magnesia-Seltzer water recipe for magnesium, as a way to get more bioavailability (is that a word?) out of the magnesium, here is the recipe at the afibbers site:

Recipe for Magnesium/Bicarbonate Water

Natural mineral waters with high concentrations of magnesium and bicarbonate ions have long
been prized for their health promoting qualities. The famous Apollinaris water contains 104 mg/L
of magnesium, but unfortunately is also fairly high in sodium and calcium. Mendocino water
contains 130 mg/L of magnesium, but again has fairly high calcium and sodium levels. A more
ideal water is Noah’s spring water bottled from the Adobe Springs in California. Noah’s California
Spring Water contains 110 mg/L of magnesium, but only 3 mg/L of calcium and 5 mg/L of
sodium. It also contains 529 mg/L of bicarbonate ions and has a pH of 8.3.

Magnesium-rich mineral waters are easily absorbed and have many health benefits due not only
to their magnesium content, but also because of their content of bicarbonate ions that help
neutralize the carbonic acid formed in the body during metabolic processes. Several studies
have shown that an increased intake of bicarbonate may help prevent muscle wasting and bone
loss[1-3].

A manufactured magnesium/bicarbonate water, “Unique Water”, has recently been developed in
Australia. It contains 120 mg of magnesium and 650 mg of bicarbonate per liter and has a pH of

Erling Waller, a former afibber, and Jackie Burgess, both frequent contributors to the Bulletin
Board, collaborated to develop a recipe for homemade magnesium/bicarbonate water that, in its
composition, is very close to both Noah’s California Spring Water and Unique Water. The recipe
is based on the reaction of magnesium hydroxide (in milk of magnesia) with plain carbonated
water according to the formula Mg(OH)2 + 2CO2 ---> Mg(HCO3)2.

Plain Milk of Magnesia (MoM) should be used in the recipe. The “active” ingredient should only
be magnesium hydroxide [Mg (OH)2], 400 mg per teaspoon (5 ml), and the “inactive” ingredient
should only be purified water. 41.7% by weight of magnesium hydroxide is magnesium (Mg), so 5
ml of MoM has 167 mg of Mg, and 1 tablespoon has 500 mg of Mg (1 tablespoon = 15 ml).

To prepare the water follow these steps:

1. Chill completely to refrigerator temperature a 1-liter bottle of fully carbonated water.
Carbonated waters such as Canada Dry Seltzer, which consist of only water and carbon
dioxide (CO2), are suitable. Club sodas such as Schweppes Club Soda are also suitable;
they are carbonated water with a small amount of added sodium.

2. Shake well the bottle of MoM, then measure out as accurately as possible 3 tablespoons
(45 ml) and have it ready. The plastic measuring cup that comes with the MoM is
accurate and ideal for the purpose.

3. Remove the bottle of carbonated water from the refrigerator without agitating it. Open it
slowly and carefully to minimize the loss of CO2. As soon as the initial fizzing settles
down, slowly add the pre-measured MoM. Promptly replace the cap on the water bottle
and shake it vigorously for 30 seconds or so, making the liquid cloudy. After ½ hour or so
the liquid will have cleared, and any un-dissolved magnesium hydroxide will have settled
to the bottom of the bottle. Again shake the bottle vigorously for 30 seconds or so,
making the liquid cloudy again. When the liquid again clears all of the magnesium
hydroxide in the MoM should have reacted with all of the CO2 to become dissolved
(ionized) magnesium and bicarbonate. However, if a small amount of un-dissolved
magnesium hydroxide still remains in the bottom of the bottle as a sediment it may be
ignored. This 1 liter of concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water will have
approximately 1500 mg of magnesium and approximately 7500 mg of bicarbonate. It
should be kept in the refrigerator. You may note that the sides of the bottle “cave in”
when the liquid clears. This is a sign that the reaction is complete.

4. To make 4 liters of magnesium bicarbonate drinking water with approximately 125 mg of
magnesium and approximately 625 mg of bicarbonate per liter and a pH of
approximately 8+ measure and transfer 1/3 liter of the concentrate (333 ml) into a 4-liter
container. Fill the container with 3 2/3 liters of plain or purified water, as desired.

Magnesium dissolved in water (ionized) is considerably more bioavailable than is magnesium in
solid tablets or capsules. About 50% of the magnesium contained in magnesium/bicarbonate
water is absorbed[4,5]. This is 12 times better than the absorption rate for magnesium oxide. So
drinking 1 liter of magnesium/bicarbonate water per day would correspond to taking five 500 mg
magnesium oxide tablets daily.

The alkaline magnesium/bicarbonate water should be consumed throughout the day. It can be
consumed with a meal, but not in such quantities that it results in dilution of stomach acid.
Anyone not in the habit of drinking water should begin by consuming small daily amounts, and
should take at least a month to reach a consumption of 1 to 2 liters per day.

A survey of afibbers who have tried the magnesium/bicarbonate water concluded that 7 out of 12
found it beneficial. The effect on episode frequency was inconsistent with four participants
experiencing fewer episodes, six experiencing more episodes and two observing no change.
Similarly with episode duration. Five participants experienced a shortening, five a lengthening
and two saw no change in episode duration. It would seem that that the effect of the water on
episode severity is highly variable and that each individual afibber need to determine whether it
works for him or her through individual experimentation.

I really enjoy sipping the MoM water throughout the day.

Best wishes to all for a very nice day.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-13-2011 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #670
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/166.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
I've got a question, people here seem to know some much about different things maybe someone will be able to help me. My hair seems to be thinning. Is there anything that I can take to help?

Here is some back ground. I'm almost 49, I've been hypothyroid for 15 years. A couple of years ago my hair started to thin. I had my labs done and the Dr added Cytomel to my Synthyroid. When you first start taking Cytomel your hair can fall out for awhile. I've been on it now for 20 months. I also have started taking in the last month, cal/mag, B complex and Vit D3. I eat mostly low carb. I have a beer probably 3-4 times a week. I'll have popcorn maybe 1 time every 3 months. I sometimes will have a low carb muffin that I make myself. It has gluten and oat flour in it.

Thanks to any and all replys
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #671
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Auntie Em, the main reason I've never bothered w the recipe is due to the plastic bottle.
What's your take on it?

Interesting info. That is what Bejewelme was referring to when she said Dr Dukan recommends mineral water.

I bought the Apollinaris in glass at Big Lots for 1.50. Have not seen the Noah brand at all.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #672
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Goose. I'm sorry. That's beyond my ken. Perhaps one of the thyroid experts will look in here. Only things that come to mind are that Biotin and Knox gelatine help some folks.

Jem, I put the seltzer water in a glass jar in the fridge to cool, and then add the MoM. The thing I don't care for is that I don't have one of those CO2 contraptions to make my own seltzer water from purified water and have been buying seltzer water in plastic bottles. It means the water quality isn't as good, and the plastic bottles outgas into the seltzer water. I do find the MoM-water "sits" better than the NOW brand Magnesium Citrate I last bought. I will probably use the MoM-water until I can afford a much better supplement. If I find out anything useful, I'll post.

Am growing garden purslane, and Swiss chard, which have more magnesium than some other vegetables. Chard is high in oxalates, so I may not plant it next year. The purslane is said to be a perennial, we'll see.

Hope you are doing well.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-13-2011 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: added veg sentence
Old 06-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #673
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1 View Post
I've got a question, people here seem to know some much about different things maybe someone will be able to help me. My hair seems to be thinning. Is there anything that I can take to help?

Thanks to any and all replys
I have hair down past my tailbone, so I'm gonna take this one...

I never used to be able to grow my hair much past my shoulder blades until a couple years ago when I started taking biotin. I just take a really cheap one, 5000mcg (5mg) once a day. Since taking it, I've been able to add over a foot in length. Even if you're not interested in length, it usually helps with thickness. If you're not taking biotin already, it may take 30-60 days before you notice a change. So start taking it ASAP! A very small percentage of people get headaches from biotin.

This is the main thing that keeps my hair on my head. However, I still lose several strands a day, unless I take something called diatomaceous earth.
This stops my hair fall almost COMPLETELY. Like, I'll only get 4-5 strands in my brush instead of a handful.

I shared this "secret" on a hair care board, only to have lots of people freak out on me. Other people tried it and had their age spots & asthma disappear! Diatomaceous earth is a form of silica; silica supplements are a more conventional approach that works for many people.

Another more conventional supplement that many people take for hair growth is MSM. If you have any joint pain, you may want to take a glucosamine/chondroiton/MSM complex instead of just the MSM on its own. I let myself run out of it a while ago when I got laid off from a job that was causing me a lot of back pain, but I do think it helped as well.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #674
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/166.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
Thank you Aunt Em and Jenny. I'll pick up some Biotin and Silica and give it a try. I don't think I'm losing much at the moment. The problem is it just didn't come back after getting my Thyroid in balance.
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #675

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
So that is why magnesium is beneficial and he recommends it for the diet!

OMG the hoarding!! I so have ADD, and I am a hoarder and it started in my mid 20's, my son is already showing signs of being a hoarder too. It is so hard for me to part with stuff, and I have the metabolism of a slug, interesting articles, I think I need a lobotomy-better start over!!! LOL
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #676
Major LCF Poster!

Bejewelme, is it possible you mean cluttering?

Here is an official definition from clutterless.org, so folks don't think things about you which might not be true. (Can't post a link as they sell books at their site.):

Hoarding And Cluttering Defined

Most clutterers call themselves hoarders, but fortunately, only a very small percentage of clutterers are truly hoarders. Media stories often focus on hoarding, since hoarding makes better copy than cluttering. According to psychiatrists and psychologists I have interviewed, less than 1% of the population hoards. While hoarding is a serious psychological condition that can only be diagnosed by a psychiatrist, here is a brief discussion of the differences between hoarders and clutterers. The psychology of cluttering and hoarding are very different.

A hoarder cannot make rational decisions about what is useful and what is not. Thus, the hoarder often saves garbage or soiled items. If you don't you probably aren't. You are probably "just" a clutterer, like the rest of us. I have worked with hoarders in my consulting capacity and it is a very sad and difficult task to help hoarders.

A hoarder obsesses about her stuff and is compelled to collect it. A clutterer just lets it pile up. We don't give it much thought. It seems to flow into our lives without any effort on our part.

A hoarder is usually unaware of anything being wrong. If you are concerned about your clutter, you are in good shape.

A clutterer becomes overwhelmed by her stuff and has emotional attachments to her possessions but does not save garbage. A clutterer often has some of the following symptoms: low self-esteem, difficulty in making decisions, fear of loss and failure, mild depression, belief that she doesn’t deserve any better. A clutterer holds onto items and relationships that do not server her because of these beliefs.

If it is a family member's clutter that is overwhelming you, then you should consider the differences before labeling her. As always, professional help can be a big boost in recovery, but unless a person is willing to make changes, odds are she won't.

Hoarding needs to be treated by a psychiatrist and medications are often prescribed.

I, too, thought the article about possible biological causes was interesting. Hope you are doing well.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #677

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
A clutterer becomes overwhelmed by her stuff and has emotional attachments to her possessions but does not save garbage. A clutterer often has some of the following symptoms: low self-esteem, difficulty in making decisions, fear of loss and failure, mild depression, belief that she doesn’t deserve any better. A clutterer holds onto items and relationships that do not server her because of these beliefs.

OMG that was me to a T!!!! You know as I am losing weight and I think changing in some ways it has been easy to let go, when I was in my bad marriage and so depressed my son called the UPS truck the HSN truck, I would just collect, and collect and collect stuff and objects hoping to make me happy, funny now I pack up the clothes, and out the go, I never realized how much everything ties together!!! I never thought I was good enough and deserved my unhappy marriage! Change is a good thing, and funny I am so nuts about cleanliness, like I have tons of crap but it is all put away in bulging cupboards and closets, but not out where you can see it, open a drawer or closet, run for your life, LOL
Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #678
Major LCF Poster!

Bejewelme, , I'm glad you are taking good care of yourself now. Some life experiences take many steps to recover from. Am sending you lots of good thoughts.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #679
Chatty Cathy

Auntie Em - thank you for the link to Dr. Deans article on magnesium deficiency. Very interesting!!! I was aware of a bit of the information but there was a much bigger bit that I didn't know.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #680
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Gosh I love this thread. Everything interests me!

I take 1500mg of magnesium. I need something for my horribly thinning hair (thanks Piratejenny ) - I'll try the biotin and silica too! I'm the opposite of a hoarder - I constantly throw stuff out only to regret it and rebuy it a few months later when a need for it arises. All this stuff is just so helpful and useful. Thanks everyone for sharing.

I'm tweaking my high fat diet down to lower fat levels to try to prevent some severe reflux and heartburn issues that have gotten much worse with the higher fat levels. Now my blood glucose levels are worse and I'm hungry. Grrr. I thought I had found my correct diet but what works to stabilize my bg my stomach doesn't like. I'm taking tums and Zantac and trying to quiet this and heal my burnt esophagus but my bgs are protesting and I want to stay off insulin as long as possible. Any wisdom?

Last edited by shunsweets; 06-13-2011 at 04:57 PM..
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #681
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
shunsweets, my BGs fell into place nicely when cutting fat. But, since fat slows digestion, I ate smaller amts more frequently....and I actually ended up w the best readings ever.

I had a low fat experience yesterday that surprised me; I'm working on my rental property and have the usual canned fish, chicken, etc in the car. Popped a can of white meat chicken in water w sea salt. Thinking it would be somewhat dense and dry, I wished for mayo but none materialized. So I ate it plain and it was delic. I waited for the acid burn but it never came.
I figured i'd get a little something but I guess I'm so used to eating some fat that it never occured to me that NO fat would relieve the sx completely.

I don't know if I could go w no fat but I may experiment a little more to see what really brings the acid under control.

I think I may've strayed far from Dr K.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #682
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Auntie Em,

Excellent magnesium post, thank you so much!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #683
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, I'm sorry about the troubles. Wish I had something else to post.

Jem, I'm a strayer, too. Dr. K's "eat egg yolks and offal" is a mainstay for me. But, the 2.5-3.5F to 1P for maintaining weight is too much fat for me. Dr. B's constant amounts, law of small numbers, no fruit, no grain, etc., is miracle-working, IMO.

KT, thanks for your kind thoughts. Nice to have you post.

Peter has another post up at Hyperlipid. The comments are, as is usually the case, as fascinating as Peter's insights and exposés.

Hyperlipid: When is a high carbohydrate diet not a high carbohydrate diet? Ask a vegan?

Has anyone here kept his/her PUFA intake to 4% of total calories, or below, for more than two years, in addition to avoiding excess fructose, as well as grains, legumes, frankenfoods, etc.? If so, can you report on any marked improvements?

Hope you all are having a lovely day.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-14-2011 at 07:17 AM..
Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #684
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The high fat was a godsend to get my digestive issues under control. I feel so much better now! I am now dropping my fat to attempt to get back to weight loss, I can't seem to lose anything further on high fat, so I am now roughly going for 50 carbs, 100 grams of protein, and 50 grams of fat. I was eating 80 grams of protein, but since dropping the fat, I need more.

I am sticking with the egg-based diet, bone-broth soups, and seafood (I still haven't been able to do the organ meats) as well as yogurt for the live cultures and whey because it is so easy on the tummy.

I wish I have been off PUFAs for years! I didn't know about this until recently, I have eaten a lot of salad dressing in restaurants. I order cobb salads now and eat them bare.

Shunsweets - have you looked into low stomach acid? It sounds weird but the symptoms of low stomach acid and high stomach acid can be similar, I don't know if you have checked that out, of course I can't know which you really have.

I have read it can be low stomach acid that is the problem and antacids make it worse. Zinc is a precurser to making more stomach acid, something we don't do as well as we get older. That sounds counter-intuitive, I know, it might be worth looking into. Oysters are rich in minerals and especially high in zinc. I have to say that stomach acid has not been my problem, so I am not speaking from experience.

I came across this on Danny Roddy's Blog:

Is Stomach Acid The Missing*Link? - The Danny Roddy Weblog - Animal-Based Nutrition For Hair & Health

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #685
Major LCF Poster!

Dr Berstein's diet works the best for me for blood sugar control. The constant amounts of protein and carbs(6-12-12) are crucial in maintaining bg control for me. It's the fat levels I'm struggling with. I, too, am going to have to stray far from Dr K's levels of fat. I don't gain weight on the high levels but my digestion just can't handle it.

Jem - thanks for sharing. I often eat only twice a day. I have never tried small, frequent meals (would be hard on work days as I don't eat at work- too hard in that environment and much too germy and dirty) but I may give it a try the next time I have 2 days off in a row and see if I notice a difference.

AuntieEm - you are always so thoughtful, caring, and supportive of everyone's personal choices. We are so lucky to have you here with us. Thank you.

I'll figure this out. I'm still way ahead of where I was 2 years ago when dx with diabetes and very thin, weak, and sickly. I just need to fine tune things a bit.

Key Tones - are you still following Dr K?

Happiness and a great day to all.

Last edited by shunsweets; 06-14-2011 at 09:03 AM..
Old 06-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #686
Major LCF Poster!

Oops Keytones we were posting at the same time. I have wondered about low stomach acid and it does seem to have gotten worse with the Zantac and tums. May have to research this a bit. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #687
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Shunsweets, I'm sorry about the troubles. Wish I had something else to post.

Jem, I'm a strayer, too. Dr. K's "eat egg yolks and offal" is a mainstay for me. But, the 2.5-3.5F to 1P for maintaining weight is too much fat for me. Dr. B's constant amounts, law of small numbers, no fruit, no grain, etc., is miracle-working, IMO.

KT, thanks for your kind thoughts. Nice to have you post.

Peter has another post up at Hyperlipid. The comments are, as is usually the case, as fascinating as Peter's insights and exposés.

Hyperlipid: When is a high carbohydrate diet not a high carbohydrate diet? Ask a vegan?

Has anyone here kept his/her PUFA intake to 4% of total calories, or below, for more than two years, in addition to avoiding excess fructose, as well as grains, legumes, frankenfoods, etc.? If so, can you report on any marked improvements?

Hope you all are having a lovely day.

Auntie Em, thanks for the link to Peter's most recent blog. As usual, I don't understand everything (maybe very little :blush but I wanted to ask about the reference made to Stephan Guyenet. I wonder if this is in response to a recent podcast in which he talks about his theory on 'food reward'?

I felt totally 'underwhelmed' by Stephan's references to a particular study to back up his hypothesis which I thought was irrelevant as it was never repeated (although done in the 70's or perhaps earlier - he didn't know for sure), he had only a vague idea of what the food substance was comprised of. It was a pretty poor example of 'science'.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #688
Chatty Cathy

I can 'speak to personal experience' with acid reflux. I have been suffering with it for years and taking Zantac once a day and Tums for the balance of the day - really unpleasant and worrisome.

One piece of very pertinent advice came from a long time poster (Misty) about a year ago and that was to stop taking the medicines as they were likely further exacerbating the problem. As usual I asked my p.c.p. and he advised to continue with the meds.

Months later, I decided I had to try going without the meds and seeing if with my much improved diet, things would improve and low and behold, they did. It did take some time but at this point, I rarely have any acid reflux and I am so relieved. It was a bit of a 'gamble' but I have begun to have faith in the healing powers of good nutrition - finally!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #689
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, thanks for your kind thoughts.

Cathy, I skipped over the part about Stephan Guyenet. I don't listen to podcasts very often. I find folks rarely get to the point in podcasts. Dr. Bernstein is the only one I enjoy listening to. He goes straight to the point. Simple Q&A, no chitchat, no baloney. I think others who broadcast could learn a great deal from him.

When I read Peter's posts, I look at the title, read the first couple of lines and go straight to the end where he usually summarizes the point in a way I can understand. If it is of sufficient interest to me, I go back and work my way through his exposé. I understand little of the science. Sooner or later, someone in the comments will ask the questions I think of, and usually Peter answers them. Peter is, by far, my favorite blogger.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #690
Chatty Cathy

I am brand new to the world of podcasts and am learning which are worthwhile and which are not. I have hit on some pretty useless ones recently. I do better when I am being guided (where are you K.T.??!!)

I do like to try to understand the science but usually it well over my head. I agree that the comments are very useful and interesting. Thank you for your invaluable insights once again!