Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #631
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Isn't the attack phase protein...and some dairy. Are you saying the carbs in ff dairy are that high?
I think the 1.5 T oatbran is maybe 6 carbs.

I mentioned early on that I thought that the reduction in fat is the reason Whole 30 is such a success.
We LC'ers are brain washed into thinking high fat is the only way.....obviously not!!

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #632
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Auntie Em, I can relate to your comments and am finding my own journey to be similar. I too love reading and learning about nutrition. I think that is why I love this thread so much! And the fact that everyone is so 'non-judgmental'. That is such an important thing!

I finally got around to listening to the Chris Kresser with guest Stephan Guyenet. He was on last year and spoke about the brain/gut axis and this is his thing but he now is speaking on the food reward theory. I am resistant to the theory on a couple of points but am still mulling it over. None the less, a very interesting podcast.

Hey Bejewelme, good luck with the Dukan diet! I am sure you will do well and I must say, I think it is a really good thing to 'change things up' once in a while. I too, must get out of my comfort zone and change up some of my foods. Just not sure what direction to go in yet.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #633
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I am shocked, lost 1.5 pounds overnight, mainly water I am sure, but considering I had 72 carbs from skim milk and Greek yogurt and the oat bran I was pleasantly surprised, I am not so starving today I guess I am getting used to it. One thing I wanted to share with you ladies, he suggests drinking 1.5 quarts of mineral water, like Evian or Fiji, I drink over a gallon of water a day and have for months since I re started the LC, but I thought to really tests this I am going to do as he says and I spent a ton of $$ on bottled fancy water, well I am wondering if in fact it is magical, he says the minerals help break down the uric acid that all the protein excretes? I am urinating even more frequently than with regular water. I do squats every time I go to the bathroom while I dry my hands, I am thinking my thighs are going to be killing me til this is over, lOL

SO for yesterday I was at 1289 calories
32 grams of fats
72 carbs
191 Protein- that is a crap load, I wasn't getting that on LC when I was adding all those whey shakes
so I ended up at about 23% fat. 55% protein and 22% carbs
I cant find a ratio in his book, but I figure since this is an experiment of sorts I will track everything, I agree sometimes you gotta mix it up or do something to trick the old bod!
The yogurt and skim milk were fun additions for me, I love milk and even skim is better than nothing, although I am missing the half and half, this skim milk in coffee is for the birds, yuck! I drink too much coffee anyway so this is slowing down my consumption
Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #634
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy, it is interesting to listen/read everyone's theory but fortunately we don't have to agree.

I used to love reading everything science but now I am a little too full of information and there is so much contradiction....

I stick articles/studies in my faves to read later and sometimes they sit there so long that I don't even know why I saved it to begin with.

I also think that some of this is just being repeated by all our LC gurus, maybe w different words and I just don't need to hear the same infor over and over.

My interest in diabetes research remains keen, though.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #635
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi B.
Be careful about counting everything. I don't think DD does that...as long as you eat w/in the guidelines, no counting.
Some peop completely sab themselves by counting.

Interesting about the mineral water. Someone recommended Perrier in the past but I can't remember who.
I may have to look into that.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #636
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Amber - on mineral water, this is all I have from a quick search that basically says carbonated water has beneficial effects on cholesterol, but it is not the "carbonation" directly that does it, it is the mineral content. If the link doesn't make it, it is Dr. Briffa

The health benefits of drinking sparkling (yes, SPARKLING) water | Dr Briffa's Blog - A Good Look at Good Health

I prefer plain water unfortunately, and I'm not keen on buying bottled water in plastic. I've seen some mineral water in glass but it was carbonated. I read a chemist talking about the BPA scare, he thinks it is just marketing, all the plastics have similar chemical composition.

Cathy - on food reward, it works on me to stimulate overeating. I think eating only bland foods along with making it inconvenient would have an impact on most people.

I gave up drinking diet soda regularly several months ago, and I notice now I am not able to drink two XL drinks (I used to do it all the time) when I do have it because it is now too much liquid. I suspect my stomach volume has decreased since I have stopped stretching it out with so much liquid. I hope benefits continue.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 06-07-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #637
Chatty Cathy

I go on 'benders' when it comes to info seeking. I am probably at the height of the brain/gut axis - I just find it makes so much sense and is fascinating to me. The issue I have (so far) with the 'food reward' theory is that it seems to imply overeating and if this is the case, it does not apply to me. I am still considering it though because he may be saying the intense flavour is doing something physiological to the brain - I am guessing through taste receptors? I need to listen to it again.

I have heard the suggestion that mineral water is a good way to go because of the possible depletion of minerals from the soil from which our food comes. Makes sense to me. But like you KT, I resist plastic due to BPA. I have enough challenges as it is!

Great work on the D.D. Jewel. Love you 'can do' attitude!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #638
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/166.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
Hi again everyone! I got back from my European vacation a couple of weeks ago. Had a great time! Gained 5.5lbs

I've been really busy with life for the last couple of weeks. I haven't gotten fully back to my diet. I've spent the last couple of days catching up on all the info here.

Auntie Em, I've been very interested to read your posts on fat. Before I left on vacation I had started to question 'how much fat?'. I read in a few places that while we are trying to shed weight we don't need as much fat. It's something that I really didn't want to hear. I love eating a higher fat diet, but it hasn't been working very well for me. When I think about a time that I had the most success at dieting it would have to be when I started with Somersizing. You eat carbs without fat or have a protein/fat meal. When I had the pro/fat meals they were never very heavy on the fat and they had a lot of veggies. I started getting into trouble with this diet when I added the junk foods(Atkins bars). I can't bring myself to get back to this diet though, I don't think I could sit down to a bowl of cereal and fat free milk anymore.

Lately my meals have been fairly high fat. Lots of cream, cheese and fatty meats. While I love the food the weight is not coming off. I don't really want to do this and I've tried everything to avoid it, but I think I've got to cut the fat and start watching calories. I'll get back to it tomorrow, I've got to look up a few of my old recipes that don't have cream and cheese in them.
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #639
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I prefer plain water unfortunately, and I'm not keen on buying bottled water in plastic. I've seen some mineral water in glass but it was carbonated. I read a chemist talking about the BPA scare, he thinks it is just marketing, all the plastics have similar chemical composition.
I wonder if tissue salts/cell salts would be a good (and cheaper) substitute?

I have wonderful water at my house (from a well) and I don't like to spend money on other beverages, or lug them home in plastic bottles, and then have to drive them to the recycling center!!!

I started Metformin a week ago (low dose, 500mg/day) and although my bg hasn't gone down much I noticed I am running to the bathroom less frequently. And I think I'm less hungry. Eating only twice a day, between 3-4pm & 8-9pm. Last night, I couldn't fall asleep until almost 5am and the last time I ate was around 8pm. I sometimes end up eating around 1am (yogurt) if I can't fall asleep. I may have lost a couple of pounds but it's TOM. I sort of have to give every change a month before I can be sure what's going on!

Congratulations, Bejewelme!
I am so stubborn about not using reduced fat dairy!!!
I would almost rather not eat dairy at all than eat the fat-free stuff...
maybe I'd live off avocados instead!

I hope everyone is staying cool & uneaten by mosquitoes!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #640

Jenny I was on metformin 850 twice a day, then I lost so much weight she cut me back to 500mg/ 2 pills at once and that is when the weight loss started slowing down, she checks my blood work every 6 months and she wants me to stop it I think it helped me lose weight, so I am resisting and trying to stock pile it, LOL I had the worst big D forever when I first started, now I can never go it seems, I do think it helps with cravings and hunger, I eat way less than some of the girls and still dont lose weight so I am so torn about what to do!

I agree fat free dairy is rather vile, LOL And I feel like I am having an affair behind Atkins back, LOL I guess I just want to do this for one week and see what happens!

I will be curious to see how you feel on the Metformin, she gave it to me for IR.
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #641
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Jem, I smiled at your post on bookmarking things for later and then wondering about them. I do that, too. I, too, find the diabetes research fascinating.

Cathy, yes, I, too, like the inclusive aspect of this thread. It's interesting to read what subjects folks have been looking into.

Goose, I just found the higher fat levels made me fatter and feeling slow. Some seem to excel on it, but wasn't the best thing for me.

Here are my current food amounts:

Tea w/ a couple of drops of hwc
B: usu. 3.5 oz. meat or eggs/meat, bit of green plant matter, and ca. 1 t. animal fat
Decaf coffee w/ a few drops of hwc (1/2 t. instant Folgers per 8-ounce cup)

L: usu. 3.5 - 4 oz. meat or eggs/meat, bit of plant matter, and perhaps ca. 1-2 T. hwc yoghurt or hwc custard, or bit of cheese
Decaf....

S: usu. 3-3.5 oz. meat...., bit of plant matter, and perhaps ca. 1-2 T. hwc yoghurt....

I sometimes drink fresh lemon juice in water: 2 t. lemon juice in 12 oz. water

In addition to the no nightshades, no sweet fruits, I am also doing low FODMAP and feel much better for it.

Best wishes to all.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-08-2011 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: added link
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #642
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, again.

Here is a report on sleep and weight loss, at the Journal of Obesity, in case it is of interest. Free access is to abstract only.

Access : Longer sleep duration associates with lower adiposity gain in adult short sleepers : International Journal of Obesity
Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #643
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting article, thank you!

I definitely eat when I am sleepy, I have to take care not to stay up all night reading, it is not good for the diet.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #644

I get up at 5 and I am lucky if I get to bed at 10 there is so much to do and I cant sleep longer in this Dukan book he says to get 8 hours as that is when you burn fat,I better start going to bed at 5:30 LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #645
Chatty Cathy

I was intrigued with Kwasniewski's O.D. because of the 'restorative or healing' bent. I had come to the conclusion that my long lasting stall had something to do with a need to 'readjust or heal'.

So while I don't follow the eating plan per say, I have followed some of the information in terms of choices of foods and supplements. I have had some rather dramatic results - just not any further weight loss.

I am no longer plagued with acid reflux - 99.9% gone. Secondly, I have weaned off both my b.p. meds completely and a pretty great b.p. unmedicated (about 115/80). I have been monitoring it closely for over 3 wks. now!! Maybe weight loss will come soon? At any rate, I have clear evidence that I am healthier.

All of this is really to say 'thank you all' for sharing such great info. I wouldn't have found it on my own and I would still be suffering pain, popping pills and getting no better. How great is that?!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #646
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, those are great health results. I wish you further successes.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #647
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Cathy, those are great health results. I wish you further successes.
Thank you Auntie Em. I am pretty surprised because these changes are not the result of weight loss, which I always attributed as the 'cause' before.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #648

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi Everyone,

It was the end of the school year and I was busy busy busy, and I have missed stopping by and reading all the wonderful and informative posts here. Hope everyone is doing great!
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #649

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I was intrigued with Kwasniewski's O.D. because of the 'restorative or healing' bent. I had come to the conclusion that my long lasting stall had something to do with a need to 'readjust or heal'.

So while I don't follow the eating plan per say, I have followed some of the information in terms of choices of foods and supplements. I have had some rather dramatic results - just not any further weight loss.

I am no longer plagued with acid reflux - 99.9% gone. Secondly, I have weaned off both my b.p. meds completely and a pretty great b.p. unmedicated (about 115/80). I have been monitoring it closely for over 3 wks. now!! Maybe weight loss will come soon? At any rate, I have clear evidence that I am healthier.

All of this is really to say 'thank you all' for sharing such great info. I wouldn't have found it on my own and I would still be suffering pain, popping pills and getting no better. How great is that?!!!
This is wonderful, Cathy!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #650
Chatty Cathy

Eliza, I have wondered where you were. So glad to see you back!!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #651

Quote:
Eliza, I have wondered where you were. So glad to see you back!!
Thanks for thinking of me, Cathy, I missed being here. Being away from the board and constantly keeping health and WL in mind caused a slip in vigilance and an indulgence in some bad stuff. No weight gain, but I got into some grain foods and that was not good. I had cake twice and a bowl of pasta once. Back on track now. I know better and should do better.

I was at a new chiropractor yesterday for treatment of some back pain and when he saw I was overweight, he immediately tried to enroll me into his WL advice club. What was the advice? Eat more whole grains I told him I was insulin resistant and avoid grains altogether in addition to some other foods. He didn't get it.

I think when I go to a chiropractor to get help with my skeletal system, I should not be getting dietary advice. I was venting on my other thread that I have pretty much nailed down what works for me diet-wise and I would appreciate it much if well-meaning but misguided people stop pushing diet advice on me just because I am overweight.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #652
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
[QUOTE=clackley;14727364I am pretty surprised because these changes are not the result of weight loss, which I always attributed as the 'cause' before.[/QUOTE]

Just goes to show that it is SUGAR which causes a lot of health problems (through inflammation, perhaps?), including overweight; not just the weight itself!

So happy that your acid reflux and bp have improved!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #653

Clackley- when the scale stalls you need to look at other benefits as you did, and what a success, I think improved health and longevity is really all our goals!! Good job, I am hoping that scale moves for you soon!

Chiropractors- dont get me started, I did find one that offered great success, in treating the numbness I had in my foot, from a pinched nerve, but he offered Ideal Protein as well as my plastic surgeon, loaded with soy, chemicals and crap and the stuff is horrid tasting. I agree that low carb is not for everyone, but for those of us that are sensitive to grains and sugar it is the best plan, I think everyone's body is different and everyone will find the thing that works for them, but indeed when youa re overweight you know you are overweight, and do not need the unsolicited advice from strangers!!! I hated that, especially this one, look at me I am so think just eat like me?????????? I did that once to shut my Mom up, ate everything she ate, carbs and sugary yogurt and gained 4 pounds!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Clackley- when the scale stalls you need to look at other benefits as you did, and what a success, I think improved health and longevity is really all our goals!! Good job, I am hoping that scale moves for you soon!

Chiropractors- dont get me started, I did find one that offered great success, in treating the numbness I had in my foot, from a pinched nerve, but he offered Ideal Protein as well as my plastic surgeon, loaded with soy, chemicals and crap and the stuff is horrid tasting. I agree that low carb is not for everyone, but for those of us that are sensitive to grains and sugar it is the best plan, I think everyone's body is different and everyone will find the thing that works for them, but indeed when youa re overweight you know you are overweight, and do not need the unsolicited advice from strangers!!! I hated that, especially this one, look at me I am so think just eat like me?????????? I did that once to shut my Mom up, ate everything she ate, carbs and sugary yogurt and gained 4 pounds!!!!
Bejewelme, You have had such great success with WL, I need to pick your brain as to what you did to be so successful...If you don't mind, that is!

I wish we could eat what some of our slim friends and relatives can. Not that I consider it a healthy way of eating, but at least they are slim. My mom (65 now) has never been over 132 lbs. She loves her cereal for breakfast, jams, chocolates, and deserts, and bread! She can eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce. Not that she overeats, but doesn't deny herself any of these, either. Me, on the other hand, sharing half of her DNA (my dad is skinny, too) ...180 degrees from that. She could never understand why I simply wouldn't eat less and lose. One time I was on the watermelon diet with her blessing, eating only watermelon for a week. Can you say killed metabolism?

As for the chiropractor, I just felt like when he saw I was overweight he got a sparkle in his eye thinking how many WL products he can sell me. He even tried to sell me a gallbladder herbal and a different multivitamin on my first visit! I was there for one thing and one thing only - back aches and pains.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #655

Hun I feel your pain, my mom was a size 4 very petite, umm hello I am a horse, LOL It is very frustrating, my Mom just turned 65 last week, she lives on carbs, I just didnt get her body type, as you didnt get your Mom's, it sucks, my fiancee and his whole family look like they live in a concentration camp, they are all so underweight he is trying to gain weight, and his daughter is so skinny, we just got skipped in the good metabolism line, and now we have to deal with it. Somehow we have to accept our bodies and give them what they want to lose, it sucks, trust me I know, I am 42 it took me this long to figure it out!!!! I dont know how old you are, but do it now it only gets harder as we age!!!

I am in a frustrating place now, I have been hovering around 220-225 not losing, exercising like mad, now I am trying the Dukan diet, I am torn like should I keep with low carb or keep at this, I have lost 5.5 pounds in 4 days, but its not really satisfying.

I wish I had easy answers hun, but it is a battle of epic proportions finding what works, sticking to it through all the social occasions, working out when we are tired, it is just an evil we have to deal with, and it wont get easier to maintain it, I still blow right up if I eat something carby even with all the exercise.

But I can tell you do it, and keep doing it and it will come off, maybe not as fast as you want but the name of the game is patience and consistency!!!!You just got under 300 pounds that is a huge milestone now look at one decade at a time, 289 next, and so on and before you know it you will be at goal, I am so close yet so far from 200 its like come on!!! LOL

I ate low carb at induction levels, I never exercised, in January I joined the gym I go 6 days/week, I also started the couch to 5K running program I want to get fit enough o run a 5K for my B-day, running sucks!!! I wish I would have joined the gym sooner that is a big piece of this IMO. So although the scale doesn't move my 16's I just bought are getting big so the inches and firming is happening!!!!

Hugs!!!!
Amber

Last edited by Bejewelme; 06-10-2011 at 03:04 PM..
Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #656
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy/Clackley - Wow, I can't tell you how happy I am to hear about your improved health!!! Seriously, acid reflux, I have had family members with that, it is distressing, I'm so glad this has really improved. Blood pressure is such an important measure of health, this is very exciting news, seriously!!!

Eliza - good to hear from you! I feel your pain, my mom was extremely beautiful and thin and young looking her whole life (she looked a lot like J-Lo), no celluite even in her senior years (she could and did wear hot pants in her 60s, and looked good!), she was perplexed about what happened to me! She never ate anything though, no sweets, no treats, no seconds, never. I don't have her kind of control. The scary thing is she had diabetes anyway in her 60s, so I am scared, I got it in my 30s, I can't let down (she did eat mostly carbohydrates, and I know she was malnourished as a child and had a terrible childhood she never talked about, I think this worked against her mental and physical health). Diabetes is on my father's side too, I can't say that side of the family is thin,I take after them, and genetics are of great concern to me with the diabetes.

Amber/Bejewelme - Chiropractors - I found one I thought I liked, he is on the paleo diet! (so is my internist, but I am not talking about him, I can't believe my chiropractor and my doc are paleo dieters, this was completely random). He talked up a storm about how good the paleo diet is for you, then he tried to sell me whey powder, and he kept after me about it! They want to make a buck first.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #657

Amber, thanks so much for the advice and the encouragement. You have done so great, just keep at it. Look how far you've come, size 16, wooohooo! You are right, each person must find what works for them personally. I want to exercise, but my huge weight combined with back and neck aches and pains have kept me pretty sedentary. Can't wait to be able to start exercising seriously, I used to enjoy it once. I have a treadmill and an exercise bike at home, plus a gym membership and the gym has a pool and water aerobics. Considering turning my couch potato lifestyle into a more active one. Thanks again!

Katherine, wow, diabetes runs on both sides of your family? I am so sorry On the bright side, we have discovered a WOE that is productive and we keep finding more and more things that help combat and even permanently eliminate the issue. I, too, am insulin resistant and really need to watch it, I feel that nauseating feeling after eating carbs almost right away, so I know I need to stay away. This is why I was so upset when the chiropractor started giving me dietary advice and how I need to consume the right fuel for my body in the form of complex carbohydrates .... I've already been down the low fat/complex carb road and it made me fatter and more depressed.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 06-11-2011 at 05:43 AM..
Old 06-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #658
Chatty Cathy

Just wanted to say that the last time I saw my p.c.p. (last month) he offered to give me a prescription for some 'fat blocking' drug. He knows I do Atkins - we had just talked about it! It was hard to keep my feelings in check.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #659

Quote:
Just wanted to say that the last time I saw my p.c.p. (last month) he offered to give me a prescription for some 'fat blocking' drug. He knows I do Atkins - we had just talked about it! It was hard to keep my feelings in check.
Cathy, that is frustrating , physicians do not even get dietary training, and if they do, it's based on the same old, same old perpetuated anti-fat fallacies. I know they are trying to help, but their advice is useless... I think Robb Wolf has a list of Paleo approving physicians somewhere on his website...haven't checked it out yet, but am planning to...
Old 06-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #660
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Cathy, that is frustrating , physicians do not even get dietary training, and if they do, it's based on the same old, same old perpetuated anti-fat fallacies. I know they are trying to help, but their advice is useless... I think Robb Wolf has a list of Paleo approving physicians somewhere on his website...haven't checked it out yet, but am planning to...
Ya, it is pretty amazing that nutrition training is so lacking for physicians. I have had the same doctor for 25 yrs and love him. He is very accomplished and so good in many, many ways but nutrition and weight loss - not so much. I am very tempted to give him Gary Taubes' 'Why We Get Fat', but am afraid of offending him....

My sister gave a copy to her p.c.p. and said I don't want anyone treating me who doesn't 'get it'. She is a nurse and has no problem explaining things to physicians!!