Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #601
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/229/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Thank you. Yes, I take the husband's health in stride as best I can. His issues have been going on for years, and frankly, at one critical point 10 years ago, the docs thought he had maybe only 5 years to live. Well, what do they know? He is still only considered "moderate" in his heart/lung condition(s) in severity even now and is functional.

So, I have learned, I can only deal with what is in front of me right now. I can't deal with the what ifs or scary thoughts about the future, because what can you do about it anyway? Not much more than make yourself miserable.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #602
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
K.T. wanted to send you hugs and let you know you have been missed. Hope all is better by now.

Auntie Em, thank you for providing the links to youtube and Dr. Bernstein. I watched all 6 and thought them to be of great value. Despite the fact that I am not diabetic or even pre-diabetic, I first started a low carb diet to try to prevent diabetes. My Mother had died the year prior due to complications of type 2. I feel pretty sure that I would be diabetic now if not for my woe. His book is now on my reading list.

Thank you also, for the article on leptin. Here is another one that I like because of the hyperlinks to further info....

Leptin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hopefully everyone is have a great holiday weekend! And for those like me (in Canada) just a good 'normal' weekend!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #603
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Cathy, I'm glad you liked the Dr. B videos. I read his book because of diabetics in my family and Dr. Harris' recommending it so highly. Reading Dr. B's book got me to think about how exactly to live as best I could to prevent diabetes. Hope your library has a copy. He is publishing a new edition of Diabetes Solution this fall. His book gave me the courage to eat VLC, more protein, and give up sweet fruits. I make good use of lemons, cucumbers and olives now.

Thanks for the leptin link and for your kind thoughts.

I'm very sorry about your mother. I'm glad you are taking really good care of yourself.

ETA: forgot to add that Peter has several new blog posts up.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-29-2011 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: corrected error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #604
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Cathy, I'm glad you liked the Dr. B videos. I read his book because of diabetics in my family and Dr. Harris' recommending it so highly. Reading Dr. B's book got me to think about how exactly to live as best I could to prevent diabetes. Hope your library has a copy. He is publishing a new edition of Diabetes Solution this fall. His book gave me the courage to eat VLC, more protein, and give up sweet fruits. I make good use of lemons, cucumbers and olives now.

Thanks for the leptin link and for your kind thoughts.

I'm very sorry about your mother. I'm glad you are taking really good care of yourself.

ETA: forgot to add that Peter has several new blog posts up.
I have become quite enamored with my ipod - love podcasts and most recently, tried an book (Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything"). I am hoping to find Bernstein's book on the itunes store! I listen while I am walking - which is now an awesome exercise for both body and mind!!

Thanks for the kind comment on my Mother. She has been gone for 13 yrs. now - you never quite recover. On the 2 yr. anniversary of her passing, I took up Atkins thinking I just needed to lose weight. I also remember thinking that I didn't want to get to a point and not be able to eat what ever I wanted. Talk about a lack of understanding!! I was basing this on my Mother's dietary restrictions as she become ill with renal failure and consequent dialysis etc. Obviously I had a lot to learn!!

Thanks for the head's up on Peter's blog!!

A quick question: Dr. Bernstein makes a quick comment about people complaining that they can't lose weight on a low carb diet and he investigates what they are eating and discovers it is nuts. He didn't explain what the problem is with that and I wonder if anyone knows what exactly he is getting at? Are nuts not allowed on the Bernstein diet?

Last edited by clackley; 05-29-2011 at 08:24 AM..
Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #605
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Thanks again Auntie Em and Clackey for sharing the blogs and posts. I read them all and I love the reinforcement that the way I'm eating is healthy when so many people (even family members!) think I am nuts. I, myself, am just thankful that I found Dr B and from there went to some paleo sites and Hyperlipid and learned what I now believe is the best way to fuel my body - diabetes included. Clackey my mom is in a nursing home with dementia probably caused by vascular damage from years of uncontrolled high bgs. Makes me particularly interested in the studies of LC and coconut oil/MCT in preventing cognitive damage.

KT hope your DH is better. It is hard to deal with a partner with a chronic health condition. Mine has cancer and we struggle between depression and hope every day. He's in remission right now and we are thankful for each day.

Happy Memorial Day everyone and thank you to any veterans among us.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #606
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shunsweets, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Sometimes I wish I could step back in time before such weight was on my shoulders. I can barely remember those times now. We can only live today, though, as best we can.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #607
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
So sorry about your spouses.

KT, can you do some things to put the CHF in remission or cure it such as mg, fish oil and diet?
I've had many pt w h/o CHF but resolved. That's not to say they weren't ailing from something else. I am, after all, a hospice RN.

But he may be able to turn his health quite a bit and have many happy years.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #608
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jem51 - thank you for the magnesium tip! I found some articles and studies on the magnesium helping with heart failure, and I sent those to him (crossing fingers). I have been trying to get him to take mg. I am certain he is low, his back is bent a little like someone w/osteoporosis, his teeth are terrible, obviously from mineral depletion from diuretics. He is on potassium, I wish the docs would pay attention to magnesium.

He has only started LC since Christmas. I have given him articles on heart improvements on ketogenic diet, I think this helped (but he isn't ketogenic, I think he eats 100 carbs per day, it is a start).

He has secondary pulmonary hypertention, that is what is causing the congestive heart failure. Radiation treatments for Hodgkins Disease in 1980 caused damage to his lungs and calcified heart valves (atrial and mitral, both replaced 2001, St. Judes, not bovine). The heart failure is not likely to reverse since he has multiple causes; however, I think there is a lot he can do to improve it anyway. He is obese (needs to lose 50-60 pounds).

I have tried but can't get him to stop taking the statin, but he agreed to talk to the doc and they reduced it to the smallest dose anyway. I convinced him take the COQ10 (with articles to support the need).

I got him to take krill oil, but he will take only one per day. This interacts with his INR, he would have to involve his coagulation clinic to up it and he does not feel like it, this is what I am up against. He never eats the salmon I make.

Oh my gosh, I could go on and on.

I have tried everything, and I keep trying. It is hard to influence him, very difficult, he is extremely bright (engineer).

I am sure it is not emotionally easy for him to deal with it.

Thank you again!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #609
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, I am sorry about your husband and mother. Am sending you lots of good thoughts.

Cathy, Dr. B says in his book that few people can limit the number of nuts they eat, so it is easier to recommend avoiding the nuts. I don't remember if the explanation is in Diabetes Solution or if it was in one or more of his talks. He says, somewhere, that if someone can keep the number of nuts to just a few, it is not a problem to eat them. One would just have to choose the ones lowest in carbs. He talks about the difference between eating peanuts and peanut butter. Peanut butter raises the blood sugar more quickly. I think his plan is brilliant.

KT, am sending you lots of good thoughts, too. Hope you can keep finding things which help.

Dr. Emily Deans' latest blog post is good, about overall mental health and diet/lifestyle/sleep, etc.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-30-2011 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #610
Chatty Cathy

Thanks for that clarification on nuts Auntie Em. I cannot have peanuts in the house for the very issue of portion control but mac nuts and pistachios, I have not problems with and like to have occasionally.

KT, I am hoping things are improving for your husband's health. I wonder if he is taking a B complex and vit. D suppliment? I think this is important when it comes to osteoporosis. Sending you 'good vibes' for you and your husband.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joannamaria
WOE: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Start Date: Atkins 72 February 2010/Optimal Diet April 2011
Shunsweets and KT I am so sorry to hear about your spouses. I will keep you all in my prayers.

I just wanted to stop and say hi. I hope everyone had a great weekend.

I went and looked at Dr. B's book to also try to find the info about nuts. Very true about portion control.
Joannamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #612
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. We just treasure each day and hope this remission lasts a lifetime.
Off to read Dr Deans blog. Thanks for the link Auntie Em.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #613
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, I, too, find I think a great deal about my diet and health due to the problems caused by misguided food choices in previous generations. I realized what you posted about your mother and the consequences of high blood sugars reminded me of how much we have to overcome the challenges our parents weren't able to. It is a large challenge for some of us. (Especially reading more about how our genetic heritage/make-up and the diet of parents and grandparents having such immense effect.) It is hard to watch those we love suffer due to following poor guidance, or watching them suffer due to unhealthy choices/habits, etc. I also find it very hard that the truth about LC and its great benefits to health has been around for so many decades, and yet suppressed. That is part of why finding the writings of Drs. Benjamin Sandler, Blake Donaldson, Alfred Pennington, and Richard MacKarness means so very, very much to me.

I'm very interested to see what the new edition of Dr. B's book will have in it. Perhaps he will mention a few things in his upcoming telecasts.

ETA: Here is an interesting blog post by Dr. Arya M. Sharma on leptin: Why is it so hard to maintain a reduced body weight?

Best wishes to all for a very lovely day.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-31-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #614
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Well, this goes back to protein and fat; I found it interesting that Pennington/Donaldson did not include eggs in their dietary recommendations.
Looks like 3;1, meat:fat (unlimited) w one mentioning some carbs but the other only as the pt improves.
Funny the talk about wine. So many opinions. I think it was consumed more in days gone by probably the same as many other countries today.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #615
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Clackley/Cathy - yes, I do have him take B complex and vitamin D as well. He doesn't argue on these anyway!

Thank you everyone for your kindness.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #616
Major LCF Poster!

On eggs: Dr. Michael Eades wrote in his blog that eggs are just fetal meat. I do well with yolks only.

So many people have allergic reactions to the egg whites and/or the yolks, that I can understand not including them in a diet that needs to do the most good for the most people. I found Dr. Donaldson's words on inherited shock tissue and allergic reactions fascinating.

KT, am sending you and your DH lots of good thoughts.

Best wishes to all for a very nice day.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #617
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I like to check in with you smart girls to see what you are finding to read, my goodness so disheartening to hear of all these troubles with family, keeping you all in my prayers!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #618
Chatty Cathy

Wow Bejewelme, look at you! You are looking so good. How are your arms healing?

I'm currently reading something off topic but I am hoping to read Dr. Bernstein's book when I am done with what I have going now.

I hope everyone is keeping well.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #619

Clackley:
The scale is not moving any place fast, but the exercise I am kicking up, still at the gym 6 days a week, about 30 minutes of cardio in 3 minute intervals on a higher resistance and 60 of strength training and ab work, ughghg now I started the couch to 5K, I am hating running but I am hoping that moves the scale!

My arms are great, the scars are healing slowly, but you know I don't care!! I feel so much better and now you can start to see my muscles I am working so hard on! I love my arms and I am so glad I had the surgery, I am trying to get as much muscle in my stomach built so when I have the tummy tuck I will be in good shape someday!

Here is a pic from last Saturday, for the first time in like 35 years I felt pretty that night,

I have been shopping at this cheap store called Dots, they make stuff that really shows the curves, so thanks to them and Victoria Secret's extreme pushup, I fit into a large dress, it is a little tight, but still, I am in shock, I look at this stuff and cant believe I can wear it.

I am more determined than ever to get below 200 I am trying to focus on good protein, whey shakes, and exercise, the wedding is 126 days away!!!!! My mind is not really catching up to the weight loss, like people are all of a sudden making such a fuss, and my brain just hasn't wrapped around the full 130 pounds that I lost yet, I just think I have so far to go, but I am trying to enjoy each new experience.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #620
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, ladies. Just a quick post to say that Peter posted a comment on the fasting, insulin and weigh loss post:

Hyperlipid: Fasting insulin and weight loss on a water fast

And Dr. Emily Dean's has a fascinating new post about insulin resistance, blood sugar, AGEs and Alzheimer's:

http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogsp...s-disease.html

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-02-2011 at 06:54 AM..
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #621
Senior LCF Member

Wow Bejewelme you are beautiful!

Thanks for the links Auntie Em!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #622
Senior LCF Member

I just read Peter's blog.

I can relate to the "short overweight women" in the responses. I would be happy with 30 pounds loss but according to the BMI I should lose 50.

I wish wish wish they could figure out what is stalling us!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #623
Major LCF Poster!

Bejewelme - you are gorgeous. Love yourself and feel proud of what you have accomplished!

thanks for the links AuntieEm. Off to read.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #624
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning. Dr. Deans' latest post, and the comments are well worth looking at. Food rewards, obesity, etc. Some very interesting points in the comments.

Evolutionary Psychiatry: New Podcast Interview, and My Thoughts on "Food Reward"

Best wishes to all for a lovely Sunday.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #625
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great articles and podcast, Auntie Em!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #626
Chatty Cathy

Thank you for the link Auntie Em. I quite enjoyed Dr. Dean's talk. I am working my way through the food reward article. All very interesting. What do you think of the food reward idea?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #627
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't listened to the podcast, but very much enjoy Dr. Deans' posts and the comments.

A few thoughts that come to mind, as I type, on food rewards: how something tastes symbolizes different things to each of us. I have found that my tastes in food have gone through stages over the decades. I tried so many things when I was younger, tasting the cuisine of many cultures. I'm glad I did, as I don't feel as though I've missed out on anything. I enjoy simplicity now, in shopping, cooking, cleaning up, and in the eating. I have never really enjoyed food with sauces with many different flavors, although I enjoyed the adventure of travel and trying things. I don't like my food "covered up". For some folks, food is part of how they entertain themselves, or a fashion statement, social status, belonging to a particular part of a culture, or...the list goes on. For some, the taste, the indulgence, the splurging, is top priority. To me, that is part of youth, exploring, finding out, experimenting, all mixed with socializing.

I think there are many body types and tastes. Genetic make-up might determine many of our tastes and values. It's an area I'd like to know more about. I think there is a great deal to some of the body type theories, what kinds of foods each types are attracted to/allergic to, but I don't agree with the dietary recommendations in all of the theories.

What is comforting, rewarding in taste, texture, and sensation to one, might be very unappealing to someone else. For example, I really like the taste of beef fat. Some find it "icky", or worse. Some like lots of strong chilis, lots of herbs, many spices and flavors in a multi-textured sauce or dish. That doesn't appeal to me at all. I think there is very little that can be said to be "reward or comfort" food, in general.

The "I can't live without "X" food" is often part of an allergy or food intolerance. I'm grateful for hwc yoghurt, for example. Drinking hwc is a trigger/intolerance food for me, due to the lactose. It's better if I just put a smidgen in my tea or decaf, and use hwc mostly as yoghurt, very well incubated to reduce most or all of the lactose.

Others could cite examples with wheat or something else. I have found that when I am actually ready, inside, to do something, I just do it. The struggle is then gone. There are things I have found very easy to stop eating, and things that have taken decades to find a solution for that I am at peace with.

I really enjoy the simplicity of VLC and following Dr. B's plan. His plan took a burden off my shoulders. The constant amounts of CHO and PRO from day to day, the freedom to leave out things that don't help. I am most thankful for that there is the evidence of so many people being greatly helped by his plan. I have a confidence in the amounts I eat, which is such a relief. Dr. Harris' blog gave me confidence in what I eat and what I don't eat, and Dr. B in how much.

Goodness, I don't care to read long posts, and now I've written one. Sorry, it happens sometimes.

Best wishes to all for a restful night.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-05-2011 at 06:00 PM..
Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #628
Chatty Cathy

Thank you for your thoughts Auntie Em. You are logical and sensible. I enjoy reading your take on things and leave me with lots to think about and hopeful for my own situation.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #629
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, thank you for your kind thoughts. I really enjoy the topics you post about. They help me to think through choices and read more about nutrition and metabolism.

I remember when I was first reading Dr. Harris' blog, I wept out of relief at finally finding something which actually made sense and had the ring of truth. I had already been following several of his recommendations, and found it easy to leave out the oats, corn, and PUFAs, and eat more meat, which was about all that was left to change. His recommendation to read Dr. B's book was compelling.

I tried to follow Dr. K's maintenance ratios, as Peter D. writes so convincingly of Dr. K, and Dr. H has much respect for Dr. K. All the fat didn't work for me. I gained weight. I don't even try to eat much extra fat anymore. I just put a bit of butter or beef fat in the skillet or crockpot to cook, have tiny bits of hwc in tea or decaf. Though I drink decaf black quite often. And I make hwc into yoghurt and sometimes custard, but eat tiny amounts, one or two ounces at most. I eat a bit of cheese, but limit it to 1 or 1 1/2 ounces per day, and don't eat cheese every day.

I read all of Dr. B's book and slowly implemented his law of small numbers, no sweet fruits, keeping constant amounts of CHO and PRO from day to day, and found it so stabilizing and easy that the tears of thankfulness and relief appeared again. It is a wondrous thing to know there are thousands of people eating this way, and finding their blood sugars normalizing, their health continually improving, and damage from previous, misguided food plans reversing.

It took so many decades to find what Dr. H and Dr. B recommend. My health and well being improve daily. There is no way I would intentionally jeopardize what their work has given me, by eating things not in the plan. Finding the amounts that sit right, are satiating, don't cause appetite trigger, and feel strong and nourishing is the most amazing thing. I am one of the ones Dr. Richard MacKarness called, "Mr. Fatten Easily", and just going LC or VLC wasn't enough. Here is a copy of his book, "Eat Fat and Grow Slim" online. It's the first English edition.

It took so much work and reading, and experimenting, note taking, elimination trials, etc. At the moment, I have a rest from all that and am enjoying a bit of calm about the food plan. It works well for me at this time. And I know that getting older requires constant adjustments.

Sending you all best wishes for a very nice day.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #630

OK smartest girls of the board, I told KT, so now I am sharing with you girls, I started the Dukan diet today, basically low carb, low fat high protein, higher carb due to non fat diary items, I am giving the attack phase an honest go for a week to see if that darn scale budges!!!! I have been bouncing around the same 4 pounds for weeks, and exercising even more, 6 days at the gym, plus running the couch to 5K, did a spin class, like I can hardly do more, I am old, LOL So I want to see if the low fat really makes a difference, I will say this i am hungry and cranky and watching the carb counts approach triple digits is making me nuts, but other than that, fine, LOL
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote