Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #571
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Magnesium lotion, gel, or oil.
Did I mention that before? Maybe on another thread.
Sometimes I use the gel that I have at night, helps me relax & sleep.

I cut my Natural Calm dose down to 1/2 tsp day before yesterday and...had to leave a picnic early yesterday The PortaJohn was up a hill...disaster!!!
I guess I could try taking 1/4 tsp. I only started taking it again about 2 weeks ago, had been using my gel before that.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
I take magnesium citrate powder in water, and sip it all day in tiny bits, to avoid that special effect.

Milk of Magnesia for underarm deodorant hopefully adds a bit of magnesium.

The milk of magnesia and seltzer water recipe from the afibbers site seems to have less special effect than some other ways of taking magnesium. I quite like drinking it.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-23-2011 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: corrected error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #573
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Both of these (coffee & soda) have caffeine & cause calcium leaching.
I think the acidity of these has a lot to do with leaching, too.

That is, unless there are studies showing that JUST caffeine itself, not in a beverage (no coffee, no soda, no sugar, no AS), causes leaching. Most of the studies/articles I have seen use caffeinated beverages as an agent, not caffeine pills or extract.

But, if you are familiar with the alkaline WOE, you may know that even decaf coffee and soda are on the "acid" lists...as well as the dairy, sugar, and artificial sweeteners that may be in them. The calcium and other minerals are leached out of the bones to neutralize the acid.

Ugh, every time I think about pH balance I kick myself for not giving up
coffee! I ran out of Dandy Blend and have been drinking decaf almost every day--because I love the cream, mostly!

"Excess acidity is a condition that weakens all body systems. The kidneys, lungs and skin must work overtime to balance body pH toward the alkaline. They do so by borrowing alkaline minerals (calcium, magnesium, potassium) from bone and tissue.

Muscle is also broken down to obtain alkalizing amino acids (i.e., glutamine). Over the long haul, bones weaken and muscles waste away to compensate, and aging is accelerated. Osteoporosis, muscle loss, kidney stone formation, joint and back problems are among the conditions associated with even a slightly acidic state. "
natural-health-remedies-and-more.com
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 05-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #574
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Leptin - used to think it was my friend but now, I am not so sure. Remember Looweewoo (or Bill in r.l.)? He posted a link to 'Marks Daily Apple' on an article about leptin. The following article is a good read as well (More adventures with leptin). Would love to hear any one of your opinion on the subject of leptin!!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #575
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, thanks for posting that. I would like to know about the chemistry of leptin, leptin receptors, etc., too.

There is some to-and-fro discussion about insulin, leptin, weight loss, etc., in the comments after Peter Dobromylskyj's lastest blog post.

Nothing to write home about yet....

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-24-2011 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: corrected error
Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #576
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Most of the ph balance stuff written is just vegetarian dogma.
In fact, there is rampant osteoporosis in the aging boomer, vegan population....maybe because of the grain/starch causing acidity....or maybe it's due to protein starvation, or...?

Maybe the caffiene problem is related to quantity but comparing it to soda is like apples and oranges.
Soda contains so many substances that would throw minerals off balance (soda=sodium).

If I remember correctly nearly all (maybe ALL) the populations w the most longevity drink some type of caffiene, and mostly coffee.

If you review some of Buettner's work it will become apparent.

I say, drink good coffee in moderation!!
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #577
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's what I meant, blaming calcium leaching on caffeine might not be the whole picture...

I don't plan to ever give up coffee entirely, but I used to only drink it once or twice a week, and lately it's become a daily habit. I don't think it's detrimental when used with a balanced diet and low-stress lifestyle, but I feel & sleep better when I remember to "counteract" the acidity with some chlorophyll, magnesium, or even baking soda.

In fact, the first thing I try when I have a headache, sore muscles, or just feel groggy is take a bit of baking soda in water. It usually is quicker and more effective than taking a painkiller, or just drinking water.

I think calling it "vegetarian dogma" is a bit harsh. A person can incorporate alkaline foods/supplements into any diet--take a shot of wheatgrass, eat some green veggies & raw foods, put some lemon in your water, get the "um" minerals. Much less complicated and less expensive than many diets and supplement regimens.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #578
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jenny, I am hard on vegetarian myth since I was in that camp for nearly 20 yrs. AND it was my mantra.

My question; is supplementing w anything really necessary unless you are eating SAD or a diet void of protein like vegetarian?
Old 05-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #579
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Jem. I am, too, as being a vegetarian for 35 years really damaged my health. Hope you are doing well.

I think supplementation depends on a person's needs as well as the food plan. A great many things changed for me in my fifties, including supplement needs, which I had previously thought were unnecessary. My diet changed from being vanity-oriented to being health-oriented, with a decided emphasis on being free of pain.

I smile a lot more due to CLO and fish.
I feel stronger due to eating liver, brains, muscle meat, egg yolks and a multi-vit/min.
I am calmer and friendlier due to magnesium and a pinch of tyrosine, and my bits of cheese and hwc.
My bones creak and squeak less due to EPO, Vit E. and Biotin, and my exercises.
I have fewer allergic reactions and skin problems due to zinc and selenium.

I have tried other things and these are the supplements which make a difference in how I feel. I really notice it when I don't take them. I have tried eliminating them one at a time, for months, and kept records. And making notes when adding them back in, one at a time.

I am interested to see what changes appear after that two-year mark of keeping PUFAs below 4% of total calories. I also have a strong hunch it takes diligence to recover from the effects of vegetarianism, even a version free of sugar and prepared/refined/packaged foods.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-24-2011 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: corrected error
Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #580
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jem51--

I'm saying that the pH "stuff" is NOT exclusively a vegetarian thing
and it doesn't require ANY supplements, just fresh foods.

I was just trying to suggest some strategies that might keep calcium in your bones where it belongs! And I was talking about coffee, not vegetarianism!

Shall we get back to talking about bacon and gelatin and bone marrow, now, please?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #581
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aunti Em, I was referring to supplementing for ph balance whether it's wheat grass juice or a pill.

I try to minimize my supplements but have had obvious effect from at least one; iodine.
I started a couple drops daily of lugols to see if it would improve my stamina and it improved my digestion.

I take vitamin D to keep my levels adequate but I don't feel it.

I take a liquid multi just in case and fish oil when I feel that I can tolerate the repeating.

I figure that I did so much damage in the past that I better take some precaution, although the iodine is the only thing I'd keep if given an ultimatum.

I take Natural Calm but am interested in the gel/oil formulas. I need to take mg for my cardiac issues.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #582
Major LCF Poster!

Jem, thanks. I was wondering if you were referring to something specific about supplements.

I tried to post earlier and it disappeared, so will try again.

I used Dr. Ron's Ultra-Pure Iodine Complex for about a year for a special health project, which helped. I now eat seaweed for the iodine and minerals, but would not hesitate to use Dr. Ron's iodine again, if it seemed the thing to do.

I have seen recipes posted, around the web, for magnesium gel, but don't have any bookmarked.

Have you had a chance to try the Milk of Magnesia and seltzer water recipe from the afibbers site? I quite like it. It feels different than the magnesium supplements I've tried.

Hope that was all I had in my missing post.

Best wishes to all for a lovely start today.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 AM   #583
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, all. If anyone is interested in listening to Dr. Bernstein's broadcast from yesterday evening, it is still online here.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #584
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Auntie Em!

Is there an archive for his older broadcasts?

When I go to your link, it says "April 27th" "next webcast May 25th", so I'm not sure how to get to the 5/25 one, or if that's what I'm listening to and the graphics aren't updated yet. ???
Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #585
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh thanks Auntie Em. I'll listen sometime today.

The iodine I use is just an inexpensive 2% Lugols and it works fine. Just proves that starting anything at the smallest dose the adjusting is the way to go.
I started w a daily dose of 3 drops and got some tachy episodes so went to 2.
Then I was doing 2 drops every other last summer but in fall I did better w a daily dose.
A 2 oz bottle lasts forever.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #586
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow!! Great seminar. Dr B is the man.
The mention of dietary fat/ketones is exactly what we've been learning on the lc forums.
The discussion on Avandia....Dr being sued if the pt dies of anything while using a drug.
Coffee/caffiene, interesting.

One of the things I've always loved about Dr B is that we don't need to plow through food politics.
We can spend our spare time on other sites if we desire this info. But he is straight up, BG control for good health, and if has certainly worked.

It is so important to take responsibility for ones own health.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #587
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hello all,

I am behind on reading, I've been working long hours off-site this week.

I just want to pop in to let Clackley-Cathy know I spotted a news story of another Gary Taubes appearance on Sean Croxton's healthypowertv, episode one.

There is no clue on the site in the description that he is in the episode.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #588
Major LCF Poster!

Jenny, as far as I know, the monthly broadcasts tend to be left online for 24-48 hours after airing. I was able to listen to last month's yesterday afternoon, which surprised me. But, it has been taken off now.

The archives are only available if one subscribes to the Bernstein Connection, which costs $120 per year.

Here is the link I have bookmarked:

http://www.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=19381665

I have it playing now. I don't know why it didn't come up on your computer.

Jem, I agree. I like his just-get-your-blood-sugars-in-order approach. No detours, no baloney. I think he's great. If I lived in NY, I'd go see him.

There is a very nice audio interview of Dr. B at diabetesdaily, by David Edelman, from March 23, 2010. I can't post a link due to the ads on that site.

Here is a short bit at youtube, entitled "".

He is , in response to a question about Dr. Davis' statement that butter raises insulin and thus makes people fat. Dr. B tells the truth in his usual matter of fact, charming way.

Here is an . Part one of four parts; There is hideously loud, obnoxious intro and exit "music" at the beginning and end of each part. You might want to keep your fingers on the volume control at the beginning and end of each part.

There is also a brilliant lecture by Dr. William Lands on youtube, given to a military audience, for NIH, on cardiovascular health, Omega 6 and Omega 3. Here is part one of four parts:
KT, hope you get some time for yourself. Hope you are doing well.

ETA: Oops, I didn't realize the videos would show up like that. I apologize for the disjointed sentences.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-26-2011 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: added apology for disjointed sentence spacing
Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #589
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Just finished listening to Dr B. Thanks for the link Auntie Em. I love how down to earth he is and just quietly competant with no self importance, never condescending. Never knew glaucoma was a possible complication of diabetes and I was just recently dx with glaucoma as well as mild retinopathy. Always learn something from Dr B. I'm hopeful that if I can get bgs down to normal levels and maintain them for a few years some of these problems may resolve but so far diet and metformin have not got me to the levels DrB reccomends.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, I, too, find I always learn something from listening to Dr. B. Even if I've heard the talk two or three times before. He has a new edition of Diabetes Solution coming out this fall. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Hope you can get some good help for reversing the glaucoma and retinopathy.

ETA: Does anyone have good information on caffeine depleting folic acid? I've read comments on a couple of forums, but can't find any sound science on it. Thanks.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-26-2011 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: typing error
Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #591
Major LCF Poster!

Thought I'd post some interesting things while I have internet time:

An interesting article, from 1953, on the success of Dr. Alfred Pennington's diet. I really enjoy reading about him and his work. I love the pioneers.

Dr. Benjamin Sandler's book, Diet Prevents Polio, from 1951. This is one of my favorites.

Also, by Dr. Sandler, from 1941, on ulcers, in the pdf file, he states that unpleasant pyschic states, acute and chronic, disrupt carbohydrate metabolism.

A letter to Time magazine from 1956, by Dr. Sandler:

The Hoo-Ha Hours
Sir:
Concerning your Aug. 27 review of Jean Dutourd's Five AM.: both T.S. Eliot and Jean Dutourd describe subjective and objective symptoms which they have experienced in the early morning hours, such as sweating, fear, fright, and a depressing and pessimistic outlook on life. Your review rightfully states "a man's lifetime is invariably more than the sum of what he thinks and feels in the small, black hour of the hoo-ha's."

May I offer an explanation for these depressing feelings that can come to anyone's mind during the early morning hours from 4 to 6 a.m.? My own research has shown that these thoughts coincide with a fall in the blood sugar level to the lowest point of the day, an abnormal physiologic state known as hypoglycemia. During this state, the entire body suffers a reduced oxygen consumption, and the organ most vulnerable is the brain. It is caused by faulty diet, namely, eating too much sugar (and foods containing sugar) and starchy foods during the night and day preceding.
Hypoglycemia may be chronic and may thus explain why some authors and philosophers have had consistently pessimistic outlooks.
BENJAMIN P. SANDLER, M.D. Oteen, N.C.

Read more: LETTERS: Letters, Sep. 17, 1956 - TIME

Another medical journal article by Dr. Sandler, from 1950, Treatment of Tuberculosis with a Low Carbohydrate High Protein Diet.

Dr. Sandler is on that list of doctors from days gone by whom I would very much like to have known. (Dr. Richard MacKarness and Dr. Blake Donaldson are also on that list. )

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-26-2011 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: added date
Old 05-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #592
Chatty Cathy

Auntie Em, thank you for the links and videos. I will be getting a chance to check them out today and tomorrow!

Someone posted a link to Hypelipid's most recent blog on the main board. I get frustrated with the conversation always being steered back to 'calories in/calories out' as the solution. From my understanding for his article, he was actually talking about that but more importantly, the role of leptin....

Hyperlipid: Fasting insulin and weight loss on a water fast

Would love to hear anyone's take on this!

K.T., thank you for the link to that G.T. interview! I only wish it had been longer!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 05-27-2011 at 05:58 AM..
Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #593
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, I hadn't posted that current post from Hyperlipid here, because no one has said anything definitive about leptin, and the comments are all things that have been posted before, mostly by the usual commenters. Most of the commenters there are men, and what they have posted of their experiences and their views are thing I find inapplicable to older women, or perhaps inapplicable to most women...???

The only reports I've read about leptin were suspect due to the political agenda of the researchers or the funding, or the way something was set up, and they were only observational reports, not the kind of clinical trials that have defined parameters, control groups, etc.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #594
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Cathy, I hadn't posted that current post from Hyperlipid here, because no one has said anything definitive about leptin, and the comments are all things that have been posted before, mostly by the usual commenters. Most of the commenters there are men, and what they have posted of their experiences and their views are thing I find inapplicable to older women, or perhaps inapplicable to most women...???

The only reports I've read about leptin were suspect due to the political agenda of the researchers or the funding, or the way something was set up, and they were only observational reports, not the kind of clinical trials that have defined parameters, control groups, etc.
Thanks for your response. I know that you have read a lot more of Peter's blogs than I have. However, despite the problems you describe, it is interesting to consider. There is quite a bit of information about leptin and it's role in weight regulation. I wonder about the whole gut/brain axis and in particular the brain's ability to 'receive' leptin. It all plays into my current theories.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #595
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, I keep hoping Dr. Emily Deans will write about leptin, and the gut-brain axis. I somehow think that she is the likely one to post on it. She recently wrote about fructose malabsorption and depression.

She does post on things folks ask her, too, sometimes. I don't know enough about leptin to know how to ask a question that will get an answer that I can apply to my own choices.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #596
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think the Dr Rosedale focuses on leptin.
I haven't read his stuff to any great degree but sometimes run across his writing.
Maybe I have him confused w someone else....
Old 05-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #597
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
All--I’m popping in to explain I have some distractions. My husband had another incident and ended up in the emergency room – a coworker took him there from work. So, we have had an upset, and I am busy reading about congestive heart failure. Right now I’m reading CHFpatients.com, I think it looks pretty good and promising for good information.

I’m also ordering up some items on stress management, I think I heard Chris Kresser mention them. I think they might help my husband as well. He is more embarrassed I think at this point than anything. It is odd the things that can happen from heart problems. He is becoming resistant to medications, he has diuretic resistance. This caused uncontrolled swelling in the legs, which caused his legs to break open in sores and expose varicose veins. Then he didn’t feel well, which killed his appetite and he hasn't been eating much. If you don’t eat, your meds become out of balance, so his INR went too high (blood thinners became too effective), and so he had this terrible bleeding event from his exposed varicose veins at work that scared everyone. Terrible domino effect.

Don't worry, I think this will resolve soon. This has been going on for a while, it's just this is the first emergency room incident and the drama was too high since it happened at work. He is having that varicose vein procedure to remove them from the legs, first one in about a week and a half. They will only do one leg at a time.

So, anyway, my reading is all about congestive heart failure at the moment. I don’t mean to not post much, I just have distractions going on.

I will say I have been making my own magnesium gel. That stuff is expensive! I just take a handful of Epsom salts and dissolve in a small amount of warm water in a little sprayer bottle. I don't have a recipe, I was making a small amount just in the palm of my hand, but it is better to put it in a little bottle and shake it so it isn't gritty.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 05-28-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #598
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my goodness, sorry to hear about your husband!
You seem to take in stride pretty well, but the idea of "breaking open in sores" sounds pretty traumatic to me!!!

Wishing him successful surgery & quick healing, and lots of serenity to you both!
Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #599
Major LCF Poster!

KT, I'm sorry about your DH. Hope he is recovering well.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #600
Major LCF Poster!

A bit on leptin at webmd, mostly excerpts by Dr. Lustig:

"Leptin is not our obesity hormone. Leptin is our starvation hormone," says Robert H. Lustig, MD, professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco and a member of the Endocrine Society's Obesity Task Force.

Leptin is a protein that's made in the fat cells, circulates in the bloodstream, and goes to the brain. "Leptin is the way your fat cells tell your brain that your energy thermostat is set right," Lustig says.

"Leptin tells your brain that you have enough energy stored in your fat cells to engage in normal, relatively expensive metabolic processes," he says. "In other words, when leptin levels are at a certain threshold -- for each person, it's probably genetically set -- when your leptin level is above that threshold, your brain senses that you have energy sufficiency, which means you can burn energy at a normal rate, eat food at a normal amount, engage in exercise at a normal rate, and you can engage in expensive processes, like puberty and pregnancy".

But when people diet, they eat less and their fat cells lose some fat, which then decreases the amount of leptin produced.

"Let's say you starve, let's say you have decreased energy intake, let's say you lose weight," Lustig says. "Now your leptin level goes below your personal leptin threshold. When it does that, your brain senses starvation. That can occur at any leptin level, depending on what your leptin threshold is."

"Your brain senses that and says, ‘Hey, I don't have the energy onboard that I used to. I am now in a starvation state,'" Lustig says.

Then several processes begin within the body to drive leptin levels back up. One includes stimulation of the vagus nerve, which runs between the brain and the abdomen.

"The vagus nerve is your energy storage nerve," Lustig says. "Now the vagus nerve is turned on, so you get hungrier. Every single thing the vagus nerve does…[is] designed to make you take up extra energy and store it in your fat. Why? To generate more leptin so that your leptin can re-establish its personal leptin threshold... It causes you to eat and it causes you to get your leptin back to where it belongs."

Q. How does leptin affect weight

"Here's the question: If this thing works like a thermostat -- an adipostat -- why do we keep gaining weight?" Lustig says.

Q. How does leptin affect weight continued...

The problem is that overweight people have large amounts of leptin, but their brains aren't getting the important signal to stop eating.

"How come the brain doesn't get it? That phenomenon is called ‘leptin resistance,'" says Lustig, who has done research on the subject. Leptin resistance is similar to insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes, in which the pancreas produces large amounts of insulin, but the body doesn't respond to it properly.

Leptin levels can keep going higher as people get fatter. "We all have a leptin floor; the problem is, we don't have a leptin ceiling," Lustig says.

"In leptin resistance, your leptin is high, which means you're fat, but your brain can't see it. In other words, your brain is starved, while your body is obese. And that's what obesity is: it's brain starvation."

Not only is leptin part of the hunger system, it's also part of the reward system, Lustig says. "When your leptin levels are low, food is even more rewarding. When your leptin levels are high, that's supposed to extinguish the reward system so that you don't need to eat so much, and food doesn't look nearly as good."

But in leptin-resistant people, the reward system doesn't cue a person to stop eating when leptin levels rise, Lustig says. "The leptin is being made by the fat cells, the fat cells are trying to tell the brain, ‘Hey, I don't need to eat so much,' but the brain can't get the signal. You feel hungrier and the reward doesn't get extinguished. It only gets fostered, and so you eat more and you keep going and it becomes a vicious cycle. If your brain can't see the leptin signal, you're going to get obese."

... “Insulin resistance generates leptin resistance. The practical advice is: Get your insulin down,” Lustig says. “How do you get insulin down? The best way is don’t let it go up. Sugar makes insulin go up. We are overdosed on sugar in this country. I think that if we got the sugar down, our insulin resistance would improve and that would help with the weight loss.”

Reducing high triglyceride levels helps, too, Lustig says. Too much triglyceride interferes with leptin’s journey from the blood to the brain via a leptin transporter that allows the hormone into the brain.

“When you’re insulin-resistant, you have high triglyceride [levels]. That’s one of the hallmarks,” Lustig says. “Triglyceride seems to block leptin transport into the brain. In order to make your leptin work, you have to let the signaling occur. The only way to let the signaling occur is to get your triglyceride down.”

The article goes on, but I don't know how large an excerpt is permitted.

There are some good discussions on hunger, weight, being an older woman and having the usual LC methods not work, etc., at a carnivore forum.

Best wishes to all for a lovely week-end.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-28-2011 at 05:17 PM..