Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #541
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
hee hee, now I can dislike Doc Fuhrman some more!
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #542
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
Cathy, SCD has a huge autism following. In fact it is a larger group than those healing the gut, I think.

So I listened to about 45 min of episode 9. I don't know how long it last.
Can someone summarize the rest?

I went through about a year of lacto fermenting, which Chris seems to recommend. I was making buttermilk at the time so used the whey.
I never really saw any amazing results and the products were so-so.

As far as probiotic supplements are concerned; SCD states that they are bound in proteins when consumed as yogurt, etc, so are not destroyed by the high acidity in the upper gut/stomach.
That makes sense to me since I never got the positive results from supplements that I do w yogurt.

Have a good day.
You would have reached almost the end at 45 mins. and I think the balance was questions and answers on specific personal issues.

I must say I am intrigued by the gut/brain 'axis' and the suggested remedies for some common complaints such as the fermented foods and yogurt. When shopping yesterday, I tried to find an 'appropriate' yogurt but they were are super low in fat (the highest was 3.5) so I didn't get any. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

I did get a jar of sauerkraut - it is says 'barrel style' so I am assuming this means fermented?

KT I will be checking out those links today! Thank you.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #543
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Cathy, check the yogurts in the natural food section; Brown Cow, Stoneyfield, and whatever's local/regional, as well. (We have Nancy's out here).
Greek Gods has a full fat. I have never seen Fage full fat and the O is tasteless....obviously for peop who don't like yogurt.
If you can find Dannon in whole milk, plain, it is known for being a good quality and makes a great starter, (always check the dates on any kind).
Mountain high makes a whole milk and it also makes a good starter, meaning plenty of live bacteria.

If you want to try making your own; 1/2 & 1/2, a heating pad, jars and cooler is all you need....Really yum!
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #544
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
Cathy, check the yogurts in the natural food section; Brown Cow, Stoneyfield, and whatever's local/regional, as well. (We have Nancy's out here).
Greek Gods has a full fat. I have never seen Fage full fat and the O is tasteless....obviously for peop who don't like yogurt.
If you can find Dannon in whole milk, plain, it is known for being a good quality and makes a great starter, (always check the dates on any kind).
Mountain high makes a whole milk and it also makes a good starter, meaning plenty of live bacteria.

If you want to try making your own; 1/2 & 1/2, a heating pad, jars and cooler is all you need....Really yum!
Thanks for the info. I guess I was looking for something with 10% B.F. and there was nothing close to it. Years ago, we used to make our own using 10% cream - had a little machine which is long gone. I am going to investigate this idea some more and likely make my own. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #545
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Clackley - Cathy, the Greek Gods is really good. It is the yogurt that comes in blue, green, or yellow containers with the greek letters all over. They have a plain that is full fat, it actually has added cream if I remember correctly. It is a little too good, I have a hard for me to stay out of it! I use it for sour cream in my sweet potato, it tastes like sour cream!

I love Nancy's! Trader Joe's has their own brand, but I don't like it as much.

I don't worry about buying low fat or even fat free yogurt (although fat free is weird and hard to swallow). You can always add some sour cream to it, or eat something buttered with it, or have some coffee with cream on the side! I like the idea of getting the fat from the Kerrygold butter since it is grass-fed. I haven't seen any grass-fed yogurt anyway.

A nice treat is half a sweet potato with kerrygold butter topped with a scoop of greek yogurt!

I have seen a pretty good selection at QFC and Fred Meyers, if you have those. Costco has only the 0% Fage here.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #546
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Clackley--

if you want the enzymes in sauerkraut, you have to make sure it's not pasteurized.
it might say something like "raw" or "live" on it.

yogurt can be made from pasteurized milk but still have live enzymes in it, because it's pasteurized before the process.

but most sauerkraut is pasteurized when it's packaged.

LJGuitar has some great instructions on making yogurt.
We sort of jacked this thread:
If you eat yogurt, what kinds and how much/often?

My grocery store recently started carrying full-fat Fage; I really love it! But I might try making my own in a crock pot.
New lows, 2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/13 277.2
Old 05-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #547
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
To add another testimony to what Jem51 posted about women, high fat, not losing weight, etc.:

I keep Bernstein levels of carbs and find at Dr. K's ratios of fat to protein of 2.5-3.5 that I gain weight. If I eat in the 1.5-2 Fat to Protein range I stay slender. I don't eat grains, nightshades, sweet fruits or pork, so my food content is not Dr. K's Polish cuisine. Dr. B doesn't seem to say much about saturated fats except not to avoid them. My health and well being have improved tremendously since avoiding the NADs and increasing animal fats, cholesterol, and taking CLO, eating salmon, sardines, etc. But, at Dr. K's fat-to-protein ratios, I gained weight! And this at 20-30g/CHO/d.

I really, really like my very low carb intake. Whether it is ketones, GABA, or what, I don't know, but it suits me. I think Dr. K is on to something vital with the healing power of fat, cholesterol, etc. Veal brains, liver, wild salmon, sardines, egg yolks, cream, all have something in them that seems like long-lost nourishment. I just have to limit my cream intake and keep total fats in the weight loss range to stay slender. I do wonder if Dr. K's fat ratios are aimed at having folks at higher weights for some health reason, and that for many of us, vanity weights are preferable. The all-cause mortality weight charts are based on the SAD. Dr. K himself is not slender. So many puzzle pieces.

Don't know if anyone has posted some of Dr. Benjamin Sandler's work. His diet for preventing polio pointed to some of the key things about nutrient-dense foods, low carb. I always enjoy reading what I can find of his.

Best wishes to all for a restful night

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-21-2011 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: corrected error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #548
Chatty Cathy

Oh, thank god, I think the sauerkraut is not the right kind and I can toss it! I thought I might 'develop' a taste for it but it is just nasty in my world. I am going to a Korean grocery and get some kimche instead.

Thanks for the info on yogurt. I will check it out when at a difference grocery.

Auntie Em, great info. I really need to figure out how to do the percentages. I have resisted so far as it 'feels like' calorie counting which I have a great hate of. I do occasionally track my menu in fit day to 'size up' things so I guess I could use it to do the ratios as well. Btw, what does NAD stand for?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #549
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

whoa, you don't like sauerkraut but you do like kimchi?
i can't say which one i hate more...

are most kimchis not pasteurized?
at the health food store where I worked, i think the kimchi we carried was Sunja brand. knowing my boss, i don't think she would have sold a pasteurized product if a live one was available, so that might be a good one to look for.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #550
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Cathy- the only "raw" sauerkraut being sold in commercial format is Bubbie's. It is not totally never heated in processing (as they explain quite well on their website) because of something to do with the jars leaking on the shelf (kraut continues to ferment the longer it sits). But they affirm that it is not heated over some specific temperature that allows it to retain all the probiotic features, etc of "raw" or "unpasteurized" kraut. I get it at the health food store in the refrigerator section. It really is good straight out of the jar and is not too strong. I try to add a big spoonful (1/4 cup) with my dinner meal most days. The only way to get truly raw, unpasteruized is to make it yourself- which isn't very hard- i'm just too lazy. I really don't eat much veges and i believe that the sauerkraut (and coconut oil) have my intestinal situation moving smoothly-without the need for psyllium or miralax or extra magnesium or such... I haven't tried to find any kimchi that is truly not heated (or without some sugar to balance the salt and peppers in preparation) but it would be great to switch up sometimes. Please let us know if you identify some...
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #551
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joyy
Subscribing! I love this diet, will be following it from today!
Joyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #552
Chatty Cathy

Welcome Joyy!

My brand is not bubbie and it makes no claim of being unpasteurized so it is in the compost. I have to wait for my dd to accompany me to Korea town to help me find the right kind of kimchea. She lived in Korea for a year (taught English) so she will be able to decipher what is what. I have had it in restaurants and liked it. Robyn tells me the most important thing is to find a brand in a jar that can be sealed tight due to the 'intense' smell!!! This should be fun.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #553
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, NADs stands for Neolithic Agents of Disease, a phrase coined by Dr. Kurt Harris. (Excess fructose, grains, PUFAs, also frankenfoods, junk, etc.).

On keeping ratios, in case someone is new to this: I know fairly well how many grams of CHO are in what I eat, so keeping g/CHO/d where I want is easy now. Some find the calorie reckoning formulas outdated, but I don't know of any other way to track. CHO x 4 = kCals.

Protein grams are also 4 calories each. General standard of measurement, in Dr. B's book: For each 6g/PRO in one ounce of high quality protein food. Red meat has more protein per ounce. A portion of meat equal to the size of a deck of cards is 3 ounces, red meat at 3.7 ounces. Nine ounces of high quality protein food x 6 grams per ounce = 54g/PRO. Let's say a person chooses to eat 70g/PRO/d. That's 280 kCals.

35g/CHO/d x 4 calories per gram = 140kCals. (That's .5 CHO to 1 PRO.)

FAT to PRO at 2:1 = 140g/FAT/d. Fat grams are nine calories each (some of those are used in metabolizing the fat). 140 grams x 9 = 1260 kCals.

Calories: 1260 FAT + 280 PRO + 140 CHO = 1680 kCals.

I don't track grams of fat. I keep a watch on the carbs, of course, and eat the portions of meat/eggs/cheese that fit my protein intake level, and eat fat as I choose. I say "choose" deliberately, and not "as I please" or "as I like", because I could put oodles of butter on this and that, or drink glasses of HWC, or add beef fat to most anything. If my clothes start getting tight, I must deliberately use less cream, butter and beef fat.

I tracked percentages for each macronutrient category off and on, but always found it similar to counting calories in that arbitrary way that leads to feeling deprived and that eating out of reaction to feeling deprived. I find it easier to just eat the very low carb foods, eat my portions of meat/eggs/cheese, and then eat less cream, cheese and beef fat when I need to. Anything that feels as though I am arbitrarily following some system sets up that "feeling deprived of life" and triggers many reactions. My food choices have to really fit for me, in every way possible.

To do this, I utilize the usual methods: drinking more water, choosing to do something nice for myself or take care of something that needs doing, rather than using food for comfort. T'ain't always easy to choose, but that's what it comes down to for me.

I'm one who finds that calories do matter. I have taken everything out of my food plan which I am willing to remove. I limit my tea intake, but am not willing to give it up. Same for cream. The food plan and amounts have helped my health and well being immeasurably.

There are so many questions about optimal health and optimal food plans. And older women are not the focus of research except to be often used as examples of having metabolisms that don't fit the researchers' parameters of interest or success.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Sending you all best wishes for a lovely Sunday.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #554
Chatty Cathy

Auntie Em, this does help - quite a lot. I have quite a history with low carbing but don't believe I have found the optimal diet as yet. I am constantly searching out more information. You are a wonderful source and I appreciate your willingness to share.

Like you, I have eliminated many things from my woe but it has to make sense to me before I am willing to try. Most recently I tried eliminating a.s. but only did 4 days - not long enough really. The problem is that it doesn't really make any sense. I have researched and not found any creditable reason why they would hold me back from weight loss. Not only that, I used them freely years ago and arrived at my goal without too much trouble.....

The whole calories in/calories out theory doesn't cut it for me but I have tracked and done I.F. (which quite effectively cuts calories) for weeks and still no results. I have never in my life been so 'weight stable'.

All of this brings me to the conclusion that the trouble must lie in the quality of foods and nutrients I am getting and perhaps lacking. I guess this is what drew me to this thread to begin with (not to mention all the very smart and kind folks here).

The other thing that occurs to me is that it just might be a case of time. I have no intention of ever going back to eating higher carb and I continue to enjoy how I feel and the fabulous foods I have to select from. All this to say I am not suffering - quite the opposite. I am in it for the long haul whether or not I am ever successful in losing the next 40 or 50lbs. Learning about nutrition has become a passion for me.

I do wish there was more study around the post menopausal and metabolically 'challenged'. I think there is a lot to learn there!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #555
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, thanks for your kind thoughts. I agree about the AS not being a major factor, as Dr. B recommends using them. The insulin secretion they trigger must be minimal or there would be too much challenge in keeping blood sugars normal and stable, which is Dr. B's main focus. The excitotoxin factor in AS is a different issue, IMO, from the weight-insulin-blood glucose area.

I have yet to read anything that makes really good sense to me about leptin. I keep hoping Peter Dobromylskyj will post about leptin.

I have read posts at a couple of forums of folks who were clinically obese and then lost weight, about the reduced-obese having lower metabolic rates than those who are still obese and lower than those who have never been obese. I think the clinical criterion for that was 30% body fat for women. I haven't read any scientific things on this that explain how this occurs. There were just several posts by women at forums.

It seems to me that genetic make-up, brain chemistry, and unknown nutrient needs, need to be addressed by serious scientists. Also, those of us who have different metabolisms than the self-proclaimed "diet experts" have found solutions for, are most likely the largest part of the population.

I, too, keep reading and trying out things, as I would like to have a food plan, and supplements, that require less keen attention. Perhaps I expect something which is not possible for those of us whose bodies need nutrients above and beyond an ancestral, VLC food plan. I hope that Dr. Emily Deans will address this further. She has emphasized:

- good sleep habits
- wise use of electric lighting (timing)
- magnesium supplementation
- Vit D supplements perhaps disturbing intestinal flora
- getting sunshine and exercise
- not having dairy with every meal
- skipping a meal now and then, being really hungry when one eats, etc.
- CLO/fish/seaweed
- eating 1500 kCals/d rather than 1000-1200

I am hoping that when I get to the two-year mark of having reduced overall PUFA intake to 4% or less of total calories, that I will see improvement in health and also easier weight maintenance.

I have also read anecdotal reports of a two or two-and-a-half year mark of being VLC, for better appetite regulation, keto-adaptation, and various health improvements.

If I think of something else, I will post. I have combed, what I have, of Dr. MacKarness', Dr. Donaldson's, and Dr. Sandler's writings for clues which would help those of us who have metabolisms which do not match the easy-success stories.

So many questions yet to be answered....

Hope you all are having a lovely Sunday.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-22-2011 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: corrected error
Old 05-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #556
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Robyn tells me the most important thing is to find a brand in a jar that can be sealed tight due to the 'intense' smell!!!
Well, you can always bring it home and put it in a better jar!

What I do with stinky stuff (garlic usually) is put the jar (actual jar, not the contents) in a produce bag and close with twist-tie. Ziplock would work too but I find the twist-tie quicker. The bag also helps contain any spillage.

If there is a mishap...wadded-up newspaper absorbs odors in fridge really well!

I am re-reading a book called "The Gabriel Method" and I really recommend it. If anyone here hasn't read it, see if you can get it from your library. He has some great & simple suggestions...it's really helping me after all the complicated scientific books & articles I've been reading lately, to get back to a few simple concepts.

For example, he recommends a lot of visualization/positive thinking exercises, as well as eating something raw/live with every meal, and taking digestive enzymes with every meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
All of this brings me to the conclusion that the trouble must lie in the quality of foods and nutrients I am getting and perhaps lacking.
You could be getting the nutrients you need, but not getting the full advantage of them; one of the chapters is titled, "It Doesn't Count Unless it Enters Your Cells". Eating live/raw/fermented foods, as well as taking digestive enzymes, helps the nutrients actually get into your cells! Without that process, we stay hungry and tired no matter how much good food we eat.

For months I've been fascinated by the leptin issue. I just listened to this yesterday:

ETA: "The Rosedale Diet" book that I mentioned recently is all about increasing leptin sensitivity.

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-22-2011 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: ETA
Old 05-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #557
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't have much to add here, but I have been following the discussion. Auntie Em, excellent summary, and much appreciated.

I do something similar with food tracking, I count carbs and just do an "eyeball check" of protein (which has now become more of an egg check!). I only know my true ratios if I type it all in to ******, and I only seem to do this when I am over-eating (for the kick in the pants) and under-eating (because it is curious when it happens, it doesn't last long).

I have been attempting to drop the fat, it is perplexing, I find myself eating more protein. I will be drinking more tea this week, I think it will help!

The Emily Deans list is great advice!!! I keep forgetting to be sure to eat the seaweed, I understand it has iodine which helps the thyroid and metabolism. And chock full of minerals too. I have stock piles of it, I really love it.

On getting older - sigh, yes, I would like some info about that as well. I like one of Danny Roddy's posts that talked about how as we get older we make less stomach acid, yet docs are putting folks on Prilosac making their condition worse (and it follows people would become more malnourished!). I think taking stomach acid boosters might be more economical than taking a lot of supplements, but some supplementation is necessary.

On artificial sweeteners - I find it difficult to separate the effect of drinking coffee or diet soda from AS. I've greatly reduced my intake by cutting out coffee. I'm not off of them, so I can't really say.

I have noticed Dr. Bernstein allows for sweeteners. It is curious, too, that he treats patients off-label with low-dose naltrexone (the drug to help people with alcoholism or drugs) to help people with weight loss. It seems that Bernstein understands there is a food-reward element going on, but he doesn't tie it to sweeteners.

Speaking of natrexone, Chris Kressler (the Healthy Skeptic) posted this on facebook:

Wow. First double-blind trail of low-dose naltrexone for Crohn's disease has remarkable results: 78% had large improvement (vs. 40% placebo) and 33% went into full remission (vs. 8% placebo).

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0519101242.htm

Last edited by Key Tones; 05-22-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #558
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Joyy!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #559
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, KT, thanks for the kind thoughts. The Emily Deans list is simply the things I've been able to compile from all her blog posts that seem to apply to eating and basic supplements, in addition to Dr. Harris' 12 Steps.

I, too, find that cutting fat intake means I eat more protein. I don't know what the optimal balance is. I often wonder if we each should eat according to our specific genetic heritage, as best we can.

Here are the search results at Dr. Emily Deans' blog for naltrexone. Looks as though it helps many people.

KT, I didn't follow what you meant about differentiating the effects of coffee, diet sodas and AS. Could you elaborate please? I find the whole area of caffeine, theobromine, alkaloids, taste of sweet, etc., very interesting.

Dr. Deans posts about the chemical pathways for things rather than merely stating that some food, drink, or substance has a reward effect. Dr. B has said that some have a genetic craving for sweets. Dr. Deans has stated that the mother's diet determines the brain chemistry and pathways in certain things in a baby. The traditional foods folks (Price, Pottenger, et al, say that the father's diet has a strong effect, too.) Dr. Blake Donaldson said that we inherit shock tissue which determines what we react to, allergies, etc. He said that we are what our grandparents ate.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 05-22-2011 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 05-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #560
Junior LCF Member

Thank you my friends for the kind welcome! I'm reading your thread still!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #561
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
He said that we are what our grandparents ate.
Then I am refried beans and LARD!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #562
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Auntie Em, on AS, I just meant that most of my AS intake has occurred with coffee or diet soda. I haven't had diet soda in ages (except as a treat at work parties). I've given up coffee weeks ago. Both of these have caffeine cause calcium leaching. If any benefit shows up, I won't know what to attribute it to.

I haven't given up artificial sweeteners, but my intake is now down 80% by taking coffee out of the picture.

Interesting on genetic influence. Funny, my mother always said I eat just like my father did. That was not a good thing! It does appear each generation on the flour, sugar, industrial oils is deteriorating, very sad, esp. the flour, high-fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oil that the most recent generation has grown up on.

Jonny Bowden posted a link on magensium on facebook. I just friended him on FB recently; I don't know much about him. I'll paste the article since there are supplement ads there.

= = = =

This Inexpensive Supplement Can Reduce the Risk of Diabetes

Daily supplements of magnesium may improve insulin sensitivity and help reduce the risk of diabetes in overweight people, a new German study suggests.

In the randomized controlled trial, 52 overweight, non-diabetic participants received magnesium supplements at a dose of 365 mg per day or placebo for six months (1).

In order to study the effect of oral magnesium supplementation on diabetes risk, researchers looked at several important markers for insulin sensitivity, such blood glucose levels, blood insulin levels, blood pressure and overall lipid profile.

The study results showed that two out of three measures of insulin sensitivity (blood glucose and insulin levels) improved significantly following magnesium supplementation, and there was also a trend towards an improvement in blood pressure as well..

The scientists concluded that the study provides significant evidence that magnesium supplementation ameliorates insulin resistance and subsequently type-2 diabetes in obese people.

Magnesium supplementation was effective even in people who had “normal” blood levels of magnesium to begin with!

According to the researchers, several mechanisms may be responsible for the beneficial effect of magnesium on insulin resistance, including direct effects of magnesium on the insulin receptor and its signaling processes.

In 2007, the results from a meta-analysis of observational including 286,668 participants had shown that, for every 100 mg increase in magnesium intake, the risk of developing type-2 diabetes decreased by 15 percent (2).

Magnesium is one of my seven basic “can’t-do-without” supplements. I recommend magnesium for everyone. It’s required for over 300 metabolic operations, nearly no one gets enough of it, it helps support strong bones, it’s relaxing, and it lowers blood pressure, all in addition to its positive effect on insulin resistance and diabetes risk.

REFERENCES:

1. Mooren F. C. et al. Oral magnesium supplementation reduces insulin resistance in non- diabetic subjects – a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. 2011.

2. Larsson S. C. and Wolk A. Magnesium intake and risk of type-2 diabetes: a meta-analysis. J Intern Med. 2007; 262(2):208–214.

Last edited by Key Tones; 05-22-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Clackley - Cathy - I'm enjoying the Robb Wolf podcasts, thank you for bringing these to my attention! Great to listen to while exercising!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #564
Major LCF Poster!

Joy, hope you are doing well.

Jenny, thanks for the chuckle. Hooray for lard! I've been thinking more about your post on affirmations and visualization. I find this vital. For me, taking time for prayer, quietly thinking through things until I am at peace in the way I think, and am thinking in a universally kind way, about each and every thing that appears in my thinking, is key to how I make food choices, and seems to be key to how my body handles what I eat. Mental/emotional equipoise is the crux of health for me. I find that area of living requires more conscious thought, and tender loving care, than the nutrition/food area, as the mental frame of reference encompasses all my choices, reactions, etc. Thanks very much for posting about it.

KT, yes to magnesium. I find it a great help.

Best wishes to all for a lovely morning.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:31 AM   #565
Major LCF Poster!

KT, thanks for explaining about the AS.

Once I got away from it, I found I didn't miss it at all.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #566
Chatty Cathy

That's fantastic information on magnesium supplementation. Thank you - I had been slacking off lately with my supplements and the reminder of it's importance was excellent!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #567
Junior LCF Member

I am doing well, just eating a small potato on the evening, eggs, cheese, fat and some kind of meat during the day.

I see that you are not sharing your menus regularly here. It will be so much helpful!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #568
Major LCF Poster!

Joyy, there is a separate thread for posting Optimal Diet menus. It keeps this thread from getting cluttered.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #569
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joannamaria
WOE: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Start Date: Atkins 72 February 2010/Optimal Diet April 2011
Hi Everyone! I just lost my post and don't have time to re-type it, will post again later.

Welcome Joyy!

Thanks for all the info. This thread is a wealth of info.
Joannamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #570
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Auntie Em, on AS, I just meant that most of my AS intake has occurred with coffee or diet soda. I haven't had diet soda in ages (except as a treat at work parties). I've given up coffee weeks ago. Both of these have caffeine cause calcium leaching. If any benefit shows up, I won't know what to attribute it to.

I haven't given up artificial sweeteners, but my intake is now down 80% by taking coffee out of the picture.

Interesting on genetic influence. Funny, my mother always said I eat just like my father did. That was not a good thing! It does appear each generation on the flour, sugar, industrial oils is deteriorating, very sad, esp. the flour, high-fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oil that the most recent generation has grown up on.

Jonny Bowden posted a link on magensium on facebook. I just friended him on FB recently; I don't know much about him. I'll paste the article since there are supplement ads there.

= = = =

This Inexpensive Supplement Can Reduce the Risk of Diabetes

Daily supplements of magnesium may improve insulin sensitivity and help reduce the risk of diabetes in overweight people, a new German study suggests.

In the randomized controlled trial, 52 overweight, non-diabetic participants received magnesium supplements at a dose of 365 mg per day or placebo for six months (1).

In order to study the effect of oral magnesium supplementation on diabetes risk, researchers looked at several important markers for insulin sensitivity, such blood glucose levels, blood insulin levels, blood pressure and overall lipid profile.

The study results showed that two out of three measures of insulin sensitivity (blood glucose and insulin levels) improved significantly following magnesium supplementation, and there was also a trend towards an improvement in blood pressure as well..

The scientists concluded that the study provides significant evidence that magnesium supplementation ameliorates insulin resistance and subsequently type-2 diabetes in obese people.

Magnesium supplementation was effective even in people who had “normal” blood levels of magnesium to begin with!

According to the researchers, several mechanisms may be responsible for the beneficial effect of magnesium on insulin resistance, including direct effects of magnesium on the insulin receptor and its signaling processes.

In 2007, the results from a meta-analysis of observational including 286,668 participants had shown that, for every 100 mg increase in magnesium intake, the risk of developing type-2 diabetes decreased by 15 percent (2).

Magnesium is one of my seven basic “can’t-do-without” supplements. I recommend magnesium for everyone. It’s required for over 300 metabolic operations, nearly no one gets enough of it, it helps support strong bones, it’s relaxing, and it lowers blood pressure, all in addition to its positive effect on insulin resistance and diabetes risk.

REFERENCES:

1. Mooren F. C. et al. Oral magnesium supplementation reduces insulin resistance in non- diabetic subjects – a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. 2011.

2. Larsson S. C. and Wolk A. Magnesium intake and risk of type-2 diabetes: a meta-analysis. J Intern Med. 2007; 262(2):208–214.
Thanks for the article. I am supplementing with mag as well but have found that taking between .5 - 1 tsp. (natural calm) has an unwanted 'loosening' effect on my gut. I have been supplementing for about a month now. Wondering if there is some way to avoid this other than taking espom salt baths...?