Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #301
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannamaria View Post
Hi Clackey,
I was just looking for it!
I tunes - if is free!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joannamaria
WOE: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Start Date: Atkins 72 February 2010/Optimal Diet April 2011
Thanks Clackey!

I'm going to write something from the Optimal Nutrition book and see what you guys think he means.

He is talking about "pasture eater's".

from the book:

"People on the 'poor pasture' diet are mostly obese and have puffy bellies. Soon after going on the optimal diet, the eater's weight should start falling. When this happens, weight loss can be accelerated by cutting down on the amount of fat eaten; 1.5 grams of fat are enough per 1 gram of protein when there is rapid weight loss, and 2 grams of fat when the body is having trouble getting it's own fats moving into the blood stream resulting in slower weight loss."

To me that sounds like if I am having trouble losing my fat I should eat 2 grams of fat her 1 gram of protein.

If my weight is coming off easily I lower my fat to 1.5 per 1 gram of protein.

Is that how you guys interpret that?
Joannamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannamaria View Post
Thanks Clackey!

I'm going to write something from the Optimal Nutrition book and see what you guys think he means.

He is talking about "pasture eater's".

from the book:

"People on the 'poor pasture' diet are mostly obese and have puffy bellies. Soon after going on the optimal diet, the eater's weight should start falling. When this happens, weight loss can be accelerated by cutting down on the amount of fat eaten; 1.5 grams of fat are enough per 1 gram of protein when there is rapid weight loss, and 2 grams of fat when the body is having trouble getting it's own fats moving into the blood stream resulting in slower weight loss."

To me that sounds like if I am having trouble losing my fat I should eat 2 grams of fat her 1 gram of protein.

If my weight is coming off easily I lower my fat to 1.5 per 1 gram of protein.

Is that how you guys interpret that?
Hmm, it could be interpreted various ways.

Here is my take. If a body is having trouble metabolizing fat (not losing weight), eat more fat. If you can't access your own fat stores, you are going to be darn tired if you don't eat something (and it shouldn't be more protein or more carbs).

I hope that is correct.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joannamaria
WOE: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Start Date: Atkins 72 February 2010/Optimal Diet April 2011
Yes you're right, that makes perfect sense.
Joannamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Hi everybody.
The Whole30 has gone well except for a glitch that is turning out to be pretty big; Since I've increased my coconut milk consumption, I've had too many cold sores.
I make my own so there's no additive.

This happened when I was eating 3-4 T CO for over 1 1/2 yr. I went crazy giving up this and that before finally taking off my blinders and getting rid of CO. It was a sad day.

I can eat coconut products and now use CO for cooking (I use other fats as well), but can't consume it all on a daily basis.

It's not so bad just makes for an even cleaner paleo plan but I also look forward to adding back just for more variety. I don't know if I will complete the entire 30 days as this point, just playing it by ear.

It has been worth it, though. The things I initially missed the most (wine..) have lost their appeal and I do not know how much I will consume in the future.
I was drinking chai w coconut milk which was good but w/o the coconut milk, it is not as appealing. I've been drinking it more cold throughout the day.
Yep, I'll be drinking coffee again.

I agree, soup rocks and is a great way to consume potato.
About the carbs; I think it started off being straight up carbs but can't remember if it was ever changed. I'll see if I can find it.

I also made the pancake w cream cheese and added 1-1/2 t coconut flour (per egg) and about 1/4 t baking powder. I was yum.

KT, I am also interested in the hormone issues and will dig around Lita Lee's site a bit more.
Peat will be on blog radio at 5 pm eastern. You can link to it from the forum you subscribed to......
He can be hard to follow so we'll see.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jem51,

Good to hear from you! That is so cool on the Whole30, you've been at it a good while, I would love to be that cool. Sorry to hear about the glitch...

Hmph, on the coconut milk - you know, if I put coconut oil on my skin, it dries it up pretty severely. I seem to react to it if I get too much as well. I know it is supposed to be an anti-viral/anti-bacterial substance. I wonder if it is trying to "kill" me too sometimes, LOL. I may end up dropping it, or reducing it, but gosh, I want that boost in metabolism!!! Ugh.

I am on day 3 of giving up coffee. This is try #3. Somehow, it is not hard this time! I wonder if it is all the magnesium (Epsom Salt baths) and the Kwasniewski diet that is so helpful? I also am cautiously applying progesterone cream. This estrogen dominance concern, the more I read about it, the more I realize this is my issue. Hence, goodbye to the coffee!

On Peat broadcasts - heh, yes, I did go back and listen to an older show. He is a bit hard to follow. Still, I can't wait to hear more! I did learn Peats likes milk over eggs because milk is more complete due to the calcium - he said eggs would be complete if the shell is eaten!!! I tried blending an egg shell in some water in my vitamix, oh my gosh, it made sand!!! No way I could drink it that way. That was prob. a silly thing to do anyway.

I'll post Auntie Em's magnesium tip shortly.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-27-2011 at 08:03 PM..
Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is part of Auntie Em's post on another magnesium thread. She noted she has read it is more easily absorbed if sipped in smaller doses throughout the day rather than in one or two large doses and does not cause her side effects this way:
Here is a recipe for making magnesium water out of Milk of Magnesia and seltzer water.

http://www.afibbers.org/Wallerwater.pdf

It has more bioavailability than some supplements, and doesn't cost much.
OH, and she says it can be used as deodorant. This is important information for a hive sufferer!!!

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-27-2011 at 08:25 PM..
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #308
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
"..........I tried blending an egg shell in some water in my vitamix, oh my gosh, it made sand!!! No way I could drink it that way.........."

Hi, Keytones! Just thought I'd stop in and read here awhile as I know you're exploring some interesting health concerns, possibilities, theories, ways of eating, etc.

As to preparing the egg shells for consumption, you will need a morter and pestle, which will be enough to get the shells ground into powder. You have to let the shells sit out long enough for the insides to get completely dry. Break the shell into tiny bits in the morter bowl by tamping on it with the pestle, then continue by grinding the shell bits into powder. Don't try to process a batch that is too big. A little at a time is easiest to work with.

Mix the powder into your drink. You might be left with a tiny bid of gritty stuff in the bottom of your glass, but you will have consumed most of it.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SoHappy,

Good to see you here!!!

Wow, thank you for the egg shell tip. I will definitely do this!!! Sand drinking is not my thing, heh. Powder, that makes sense!

Oh my gosh, there is so much wisdom here! So much to learn, so little time!

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-27-2011 at 08:27 PM..
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
SoHappy,

Good to see you here!!!

Wow, thank you for the egg shell tip. I will definitely do this!!! Sand drinking is not my thing, heh. Powder, that makes sense!

Oh my gosh, there is so much wisdom here! So much to learn, so little time!
Lots of people do the eggshell thing for calcium. Although I think it was done more in times past.

I did it a few times but ended up thinking it was far too much trouble to bother with.

Just make sure your egg shells are clean. I always used the shells I peeled off of hard boiled eggs. Figured they'd be pretty clean after that cooking.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Lots of people do the eggshell thing for calcium. Although I think it was done more in times past.

I did it a few times but ended up thinking it was far too much trouble to bother with.

Just make sure your egg shells are clean. I always used the shells I peeled off of hard boiled eggs. Figured they'd be pretty clean after that cooking.
Yes, I know what you mean on cleanliness! I have thought about where they've been scraped, and rolled by Heh.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
A former neighbor of mine suffered from severe health issues and took all her food in liquid form. I remember her caretakers used to drop boiled eggs --with the shells on!--into her smoothies.

Using with a straw sometimes helps with gritty drinks--you can swallow without feeling the grit swishing around in your mouth, and since you're drinking from the bottom, you're sucking it up first rather than getting it all at the end.

Also, you know that science trick of soaking HBEs in vinegar so that the shell softens and you can bounce them? Adding a bit of extra vinegar when boiling the eggs could make the shells easier to grind up...as long as that wouldn't leach away too much of the calcium you're trying to get?

Almost any oil can dry your skin; oil is not actually a humectant, but a barrier. So if your skin is already moist (just out of the shower, for example), applying oil can help trap the moisture. But if your skin is dry when you apply oil, then you're effectively sealing it off from any moisture it might absorb from the air.

I've experimented with many oils (for my hair as well as skin) and have found coconut to be one of the "heaviest" & least easily-absorbed. Avocado oil is one of the lightest--my hair just drinks it up, and there is no greasiness the next day! Apricot seed oil is good too, and I've started experimenting with grapeseed oil.

Coconut oil is supposed to have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial qualities, so it might be helpful for troubled skin. I've heard it's a good underarm deodorant, too!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
That eggshell thing sounds like something my mother would've done. Thank goodness she didn't think of it.

My skin was really dry and cracked c CO and Jenny's right; it just stays on the surface.
It would be rubbed off by my clothes.
I did like the glow, though, so not I use a little on my face and neck after putting on my usual cream.

Lita Lee says use gelatin as protein powder since most others have too much tryptophan(sp).
There are so many 'experts' that say trypt is a good thing. It is hard to know what to believe.

But back to the gelatin......I was thinking that using 1 T, letting it soften in liquid, then adding whatever other ingred (cream cheese, yogurt, coconut milk), including an egg...
Maybe I'll give it a try today.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jem51 & PirateJenny -

Hmm, I've been trying to come up with another smoothie. I will have to mull it over. I've been drinking gelatin in lemon water. I suppose I could add the egg shell powder. And drink with a straw!!!

RE: the conflicting recommendations. I can only hope to target my particular needs and deficiencies, yet I do think there seem to be some broad "fits all" recommendations that are putting people in the ditch! I think weird things happen like the heavy exercisers (or the heavy sugar eaters or the _____ fill in the blank) become deficient in something and then wave the flag when they take it and feel better, you know?

RE: humuctant- my favorite is to just rub honey on and rinse!

RE: coconut oil - I don't know, I've tried more than once, it's like *crazy* flaky dry, not the rebound dry from using oil/cream effect. I've read it gives some people ezema. Im a pretty unique case of reactions to everything. Ugh, what don't I react to...

RE: avocado oil for hair - gasp! That sounds cool! Expensive though - maybe I'll put mashed avocado on. My hair is too dark to look green. I think. Hmm...maybe it would have green highlights!!! Hee. Where do you get avocado oil?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
ha ha...avocado oil hasn't turned my hair green!
I use the "NOW Foods" avocado oil...available from Netrition or your friendly neighborhood health food store! I know some people make salad dressings & mayonnaise with it...that would get too expensive for me...using it for skin/hair care isn't bad, one 4oz/$5 bottle lasts me several months. Fresh avocados are usually $1.49 around here--almost too expensive for eating, let alone mashing them up for my hair!!!

Just an idea for the egg shell powder--instead of coming up with another smoothie, how about some sort of blended veggie/avocado soup? I was doing green smoothies for a while (pre-LC) and psychologically had a hard time with some of the ingredients. But when I thought of it as a "soup", I could leave out the fruit & add in garlic, parsley/cilantro, lime/lemon, onion, avocado etc & enjoy it as a chilled soup/gazpacho (which I sometimes like to drink with a straw). There are lots of great recipes for raw food soups which are pretty LC and easily converted to cooked soups; since you have a Vitamix, you can make a hot soup right in the blender!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so silly, avocado oil lights up as a netrition item! Heh. I just put in an order yesterday for my chocolate 100% no sugar ghiradelli. Next time!

Oh, I totally eat the avocado as a raw soup. The broth is heated, but avo just room temp, I'm fine with that.

Hmm, not a bad idea, actually, it might suspend the powder pretty well.

You know, the vitamix is cool, but I would never be able to take the noise while a soup heats up! That thing is crazy loud. My cat bolts when I turn it on, up the stairs, like a dash for her life! Poor thing.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-28-2011 at 11:03 AM..
Old 04-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
KT, I don't know if this would appeal to you. Baker's unsweetened baking chocolate has no sugar. It's only chocolate, and costs much less than Ghiradelli. Baking aisle at the grocery store.

Thanks for the noise warning on the Vitamix. Odd that the motor is so loud.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
KT, I don't know if this would appeal to you. Baker's unsweetened baking chocolate has no sugar. It's only chocolate, and costs much less than Ghiradelli. Baking aisle at the grocery store.

Thanks for the noise warning on the Vitamix. Odd that the motor is so loud.
I gnaw on that occasionally too, Auntie Em. Once you get used to it, it is very pleasant in a strange way.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

SoHappy, I tried it, as Leo41 posted that she liked it occasionally. I found out I was allergic to chocolate! It does taste pleasant, I agree, after adusting to its differentness. It's a good source of stearic acid.

After I found out I couldn't eat it, I gave mine away, and am back to using cream and yoghurt made from cream as my indulgences.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
SoHappy, I tried it, as Leo41 posted that she liked it occasionally. I found out I was allergic to chocolate! It does taste pleasant, I agree, after adusting to its differentness. It's a good source of stearic acid.

After I found out I couldn't eat it, I gave mine away, and am back to using cream and yoghurt made from cream as my indulgences.
Most of us have to face something that won't work for us, but it's good to be able to rely on something that can be our yummy indulgence. Sorry chocolate doesn't work for you though. But maybe I'm just imagining myself in that position.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

SoHappy, thanks. I don't miss it, as I hadn't eaten it in decades. I'm glad that others can eat it without troubles. I tried so many different foods when I was young, that I don't feel as though I ought to eat this or that treat now.

My "vice" is tea, so still have my indulgences. And homemade yoghurt, from cream, is the nicest thing.

Have been re-reading Peter Dobromylskyj's posts and comments on Dr. Kwasniewski's recommendations. Always good food for thought.

The internet is great for reading about nutrition.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
Stats: 325/293.8/150
WOE: low carb
Hi all, still here. I have been absorbing all of the great info posted here. I have been eating mostly eggs, butter, cream, bone broth and fatty meat or meat with added fat. Plus a few seeds and veggies thrown in. Over the past few days, I have only eaten after 4 pm, except for my coffee with cream in the morning. The weight has been coming off nicely, even despite hormones and TOM. I may continue this if I can sustain it. I have been eating during a 2 hour window, and then just liquids the rest of the day. Calories range between 1000-1600. Have a great evening!

Kim
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm on day 4 with no coffee. I'm still having the chocolate squares in hot water, I think mostly as a vehicle for cream! I wonder if the magnesium has killed my coffee/chocolate craving. Hmph.

Auntie Em - I will check out the baking chocolate! I do like that pretty gold foil sitting out on my desk. It looks cool and so appealing, but no one wants any when they find out it has no sugar! I would like to cut my expenses, though, and have the baking chocolate for home.

Your yoghurt sounds devine! You are the cool

SoHappy - I know what you mean on the unsweetened chocolate tasting, I think it must be like the folks that like black coffee--an acquired taste! I like to take a bite once in a while, straight up.

Kimmarie - I'm so glad this is working well for you!

You are doing something pretty similar to my approach. I eat fat during the day (chocolate square, avocado for lunch), and lemon juice in my water (2 lemons, usually), and the rest comes with dinner.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-28-2011 at 04:56 PM..
Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

KT, hot water with CO and/or cream tastes grand. A little tyrosine will nourish the brain and make it easy to stay off the things full of caffeine and theobromine, such as coffee, tea, and chocolate. Magnesium, tyrosine, and animal fat are key components in my plan.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #325
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Auntie Em,

The more I read what you do, the more I realize how wise you are.

Wow, check this article out from Stephen Guyenet. Perhaps chocolate, sugar-free as it is, could be an issue. I'm not saying I'm ready to give it up...Don't ask me how many boxes of chocolate I orderd this week! Heh.

I said I wouldn't hide from problems, though

They are rats, but something to think about

= = = = =

Whole Health Source: Food Reward: a Dominant Factor in Obesity, Part I

Thursday, April 28, 2011Food Reward: a Dominant Factor in Obesity, Part I
A Curious Finding

It all started with one little sentence buried in a paper about obese rats. I was reading about how rats become obese when they're given chocolate Ensure, the "meal replacement drink", when I came across this:

...neither [obesity-prone] nor [obesity-resistant] rats will overeat on either vanilla- or strawberry-flavored Ensure.
The only meaningful difference between chocolate, vanilla and strawberry Ensure is the flavor, yet rats eating the chocolate variety overate, rapidly gained fat and became metabolically ill, while rats eating the other flavors didn't (1). Furthermore, the study suggested that the food's flavor determined, in part, what amount of fatness the rats' bodies "defended."

As I explained in previous posts, the human (and rodent) brain regulates the amount of fat the body carries, in a manner similar to how the brain regulates blood pressure, body temperature, blood oxygenation and blood pH (2). That fact, in addition to several other lines of evidence, suggests that obesity probably results from a change in this regulatory system. I refer to the amount of body fat that the brain defends as the "body fat setpoint", however it's clear that the setpoint is dependent on diet and lifestyle factors. The implication of this paper that I could not escape is that a food's flavor influences body fatness and probably the body fat setpoint.

An Introduction to Food Reward

The brain contains a sophisticated system that assigns a value judgment to everything we experience, integrating a vast amount of information into a one-dimensional rating system that labels things from awesome to terrible. This is the system that decides whether we should seek out a particular experience, or avoid it. For example, if you burn yourself each time you touch the burner on your stove, your brain will label that action as bad and it will discourage you from touching it again. On the other hand, if you feel good every time you're cold and put on a sweater, your brain will encourage that behavior. In the psychology literature, this phenomenon is called "reward," and it's critical to survival.

The brain assigns reward to, and seeks out, experiences that it perceives as positive, and discourages behaviors that it views as threatening. Drugs of abuse plug directly into reward pathways, bypassing the external routes that would typically trigger reward. Although this system has been studied most in the context of drug addiction, it evolved to deal with natural environmental stimuli, not drugs.

As food is one of the most important elements of survival, the brain's reward system is highly attuned to food's rewarding properties. The brain uses input from smell, taste, touch, social cues, and numerous signals from the digestive tract* to assign a reward value to foods. Experiments in rats and humans have outlined some of the qualities of food that are inherently rewarding:

Fat
Starch
Sugar
Salt
Meatiness (glutamate)
The absence of bitterness

Certain textures (e.g., soft or liquid calories, crunchy foods)
Certain aromas (e.g., esters found in many fruits)
Calorie density ("heavy" food)

We are generally born liking the qualities listed above. In addition, aromas and flavors that are associated with these qualities can become rewarding over time. For example, beer tastes terrible the first time you drink it because it's bitter, but after you drink it a few times and your brain catches wind that there are calories and a drug in there, it often begins tasting good. The same applies to many vegetables. Children are generally not fond of vegetables, but if you serve them spinach smothered in butter enough times, they'll learn to like it by the time they're adults.

The human brain evolved to deal with a certain range of rewarding experiences. It didn't evolve to constructively manage strong drugs of abuse such as heroin and crack cocaine, which overstimulate reward pathways, leading to the pathological drug seeking behaviors we call addiction. These drugs are "superstimuli" that exceed our reward system's normal operating parameters. Over the next few posts, I'll try to convince you that in a similar manner, industrially processed food, which has been professionally crafted to maximize its rewarding properties, is a superstimulus that exceeds the brain's normal operating parameters, leading to an increase in the body fat setpoint and other negative consequences.

* Nerves measure stomach distension. A number of of gut-derived paracrine and endocrine signals, including CCK, PYY, ghrelin, GLP-1 and many others potentially participate in food reward sensing, some by acting directly on the brain via the circulation, and others by signaling indirectly via the vagus nerve. More on this later.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-29-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

KT, thanks for your kind thoughts. Having allergies and feeling "crummy" led me to eating very cleanly. It has taken much reading, and I now have a wonderful food plan.

Stephan's series on this will be interesting. His note at the bottom about distension is important.

Dr. Richard Bernstein has said that anything that causes distension raises blood sugar in diabetics. I am interested to see how much of the chemistry Stephan will explain. I hope it will be very thorough.

Dr. Bernstein's plan, with Dr. Harris' recommendations, with Dr. Kwasniewski's offal and recommending only fats containing cholesterol and animal enzymes, and Dr. Deans' common sense about micronutrients for the brain, with a few supplements key for women getting older, well, it all helps tremendously! (Dr. K said that coconut oil is okay, just not for the main source of fats.) This comment has stayed with me:

But yes, offal, eggs, bone broth, marrow and some added fat is probably pretty complete. I add wild salmon, mackerel/herring/sardines and a few herbs to that list. Beef muscle meat tastes good, and I like it. It helps the food plan, so that the aforementioned foods are treats and not tedium.

Chocolate seems to be fine for some people. It's just not for everyone. Chocolate has stearic acid, which is great. It just has some things that are troublesome for some folks.

I don't eat nightshades or spinach, and am currently avoiding FODMAP vegetables. (I eat cream, which has lactose, which is a FODMAP. A few FODMAPs seem to sit all right, just have to be sparing in their use, and of course, avoidng the non-evolutionary, and too-sweet ones.)

Staying off the PUFAs helps with satiety and feeling better.

Following Dr. B's 6-12-12 and constant protein amounts is, to me, a plan which allows miracles to happen! (30 is indulgent compared to the VLC of under 20. I drink half-and-half sometimes. )

Drinking purified water, not tap water. I like my stainless steel Berkey.

Growing herbs and a few vegetables in containers. Nothing as good as home-grown.

I get most of my carbs from liver, egg yolks, brains, cream, and unsweetened coconut. Dr. Bernstein recommends vegetable for the micronutrients, not for the carbs.

I posted a link to a video of a talk by Dr. B, at the end of this thread.

There's my three-cents for today. Hope they help someone.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 04-29-2011 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: corrected error
Old 04-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #327

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
WOW you girls are busy, the coconut oil does work as deodorant since the surgery I cant wear deodorant so I have been rubbing the oil on my scars, I swear by that stuff I think it works better than the pure cocoa butter I got for the scars!

WOW eating eggshells, ughg I guess it is doable, you know how when you make egg salad or something and get a piece of shell, uggh I hate that!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Auntie Em,

Thank you so kindly for writing up your plan. I have been concerned about nightshades, it is so interesting you mentioned this. I am studying your plan. I do have a bloating issue that is perplexing, so I know I have a ways to go to get the diet figured out.

Oh my gosh, I do remember Bernstein talking about the effect of over-eating even on "freebie" seemingly harmless watery LC vegetables causing an insulin release due to the pressure in the digestive tract. Yes, I need to take this to heart, I like the feeling of putting a lot of warm liquid down after eating dinner to create a fullness effect. Hmm...

I am going to read the thread you linked this weekend, thank you again.

Bejewelme,

Good to see you! Heh, I tried to sterilize some egg shells in some stock broth, and I forgot they were in there! They sunk to the bottom and started disintegrating! Ugh, I fished them out but missed some, I'll have to strain this batch because crunching an egg shell unexpectedly, I hate that too!

I am lazy, I may not really do this more than once, but I want to try the powdered egg shells! It seems in nature animals would chomp down the whole egg, shells and all, I like the idea of it.

Thanks for telling us about the coconut oil deodorant working. That is so cool!

My powdered liver tablets are still not here!!!

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-29-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

KT, I think that some of us who have disruptions in the ability to metabolize carbohydrates have disruptions other places, too. The Failsafe diet, the low FODMAPs diet, low-histamine diet, help to pinpoint things which can cause trouble. Elimination diets are great. They cost nothing and one can find ways to feel better, under one's very own control.

Did you order liver tablets because you don't like the taste of liver?

Dr. Bernstein talks specifically about things that are as key as the basics which Dr. Harris pulls no punches on, and just as crucial. Dr. B talks about them so succinctly and matter-of-factly, that it can be easy to miss how important the point is. He's obviously been stating many of the same things for 60 years, so he states these facts with a calmness and in such a friendly way, that it can take several readings or hearings to say, "Aha! That is vital".

I have realized that the overeating, of anything, is as much self-sabotage, as eating too much CHO or PRO. I don't know why Dr. Kwasniewski doesn't talk more specifically about things. I wonder if it is due to cultural differences, nuances in language, or that he only talks specifics with specific patients. Several have made comments at Peter's blog about Dr. K's vagueness and lack of specificity, but that his recommendations hold up under scrutiny.

Am hoping Stephan G. addresses a good deal in this series of posts.

What is in eggshells that one can not get in egg yolks, offal and seaweeds?

Last edited by Auntie Em; 04-30-2011 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Auntie Em,

Oh my gosh, I have done the elimination diet, I know I am OK on chicken and bland cooked vegetables. Adding to this is the tricky part, and yes, like you say, too much of anything becomes a problem. I think also eliminating things from the diet too long creates an inability to digest it.

I think I have seen the FODMAPs list before, this is very good information. I tend to think of things in categories (too high in sorbitol, too high in salicylates if not ripe, too high in amines if too ripe, avoid phytic acid, etc.).

I am not going to buy potatoes (night shades) this week and see if I feel better.

I should re-read Bernstein, he is genius. I do forget important points.

Kwasniewski is bizzare!!! His religious ramblings are odd, indeed. I think he doesn't completely understand why his formula works, but he knows it has been successful in his clinical experience as well as in his animal feeding experiments. I wouldn't have purchased the books but for my confidence in Kurt Harris endorsing Kwasniewski for the most part.

Oh, yes, I did order the tablets because I can't endure the taste of liver.

And, yep, the egg shell experiments is just that. It isn't necessary.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-30-2011 at 09:55 AM..