Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jadelee
Anyone try Dukan diet?

It looked very interesting on the news programs this morning. Similiar to Atkins but during maintenance you can eat whatever you want six days a week and on the 7th just protein. It's supposed to be the biggest thing in France and wondered if anyone had any success?
jadelee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I haven't heard of it. I'm now sure how well it would work, eating anything you want I mean like twinkies, hoho's, cakes, cookies, stuff like that 6 days a week? That's how I ended up in my original situation to begin with?
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
I think if you look under "other diets" section on here you'll find some threads on it. I haven't read about anybody have any amazing or long-term success on it yet though (at least on this site!)
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Yes, it's been around for a while and there are websites.
The first phases are esentially no fat but high protein. I think the attack is all protein.
Maintainers follow what you described but I'm sure he is not talking about full on binging...and, in general, the French eat so differently from Americans,
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
The first phases are esentially no fat but high protein. I think the attack is all protein.
Maintainers follow what you described but I'm sure he is not talking about full on binging...and, in general, the French eat so differently from Americans,
I heard they used too....but as fast food is moving in, obesity and diabetes is moving in too! Just heard that on the TV the other day.
Lucky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
any way of eating that involves "eat anything you want" at any point is going to be problematic for people with lousy insulin metabolisms and carb addiction. as always, those with only a few pounds to lose have more options, because "eating what they wanted" didn't end them up weighing 250 or 350 lb.

Most "diets" are primarily aimed at people trying to lose a little bit and just assume they would work for the obese as well. Too bad they didn't read Gary Taubes, but then that wouldn't be the way to make money with a diet book, would it? *s*

Last edited by ravenrose; 03-18-2011 at 10:50 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alligatorpie
Stats: 6'4" 304/189/<195
WOE: One high carb meal a day
Start Date: July 15 2010
please tell me that is a misprint or misunderstanding. "eat anything you want for 6 days" as long as you only eat protein on the 7th. this is the greatest diet in the world.....once you get to maintenance. if it worked, i have a feeling everybody would eat this way and be fit and trim. maybe im missing something....YIKES!
alligatorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
I'm gonna call it how I see it so far as presented....

B.S.

That is unless of course:

"Want" is defined by the diet as a desire for food and beverages in a caloric amount and of a quality and composition, that will keep your body composed of body fat % somewhere between 10-15 % (for men), trigger minimal insulin responses, and provide all other necessary vitamins and minerals.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vancouverbarb
Stats: 171.5/135.5/?
WOE: Atkins all the way!
My friend who live in London England has done it with great success. We chatted about it vs Atkins and it's very similar. It's a 4 step process like Atkins however you plug in your particulars on his website and it spits out how you should spend your 4 steps. For me for example, it said I only needed the first step for 4 days and it's kind of like induction. Then you move on etc. His book is coming out in English here in Canada in April so I imagine in the US the same time. He's a French physician who designed the program for himself and others. He has a huge following in France and other French-speaking countries.
Don't knock it until you read it right?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sTaRiA
Stats: 68/60/55kg
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: March 2011
My dad ha been on the durkan diet for 8 months and is now in the maitenence stage. He has lost 30 pounds over all and hasn't been this slim since college! He sings the praises of it all the time. I still prefer my own style of low carb though.
sTaRiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
WOE: A 72 Induction (Hard Core!)
Sounds great, sign me up!

Seriously though I know with out a doubt it would not work for me. In six days of eating whatever I want my body can gain 15 lbs. Don't ask me how I know this but one day of protein is not going to negate the damage I did during those six free days.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
WOW!!!!!!!! Just remember, people called Dr. Atkins a liar and a charelton due to Low carb.So, you never know.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bflogurl
I havent done the diet but have read quite a bit about it. You really need to google it and read all the steps to it, it is NOT an "eat everything you want but Thursday diet". There are phases, much like Atkins and I think the point of it is to change your way of eating BEFORE you reach that last phase.
bflogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CaptainNapalm
I don't think it lets you eat whatever you want for six days. Someone correct my if I'm wrong, but it looks like you get a list of "free foods" from which you can eat without reservation.
CaptainNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
whats with all the oat bran in the first phase with the protein---just read about this on my news page---
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Interesting on-line article about it has a lot of info (it's not an eat-everything-in-sight plan).
The Dukan Diet: Put your fat cells on a revolutionary weight-loss plan | Mail Online
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
You know, there's always someone coming along trying to build their own name on Atkins and they always do it with a backhanded compliment..."low carb is good but unlimited fats is bad"...and nowhere did Atkins say it was ok to eat unlimited fats.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and he sure has a lot of 'imitators'.

My mother-in-law picked up Dukan's book while in France visiting her sisters last year and thinks it's much healthier than Atkins because it's low fat. However, it's also much higher carb in the beginning. Dukan's diet says you can "eat as much as you want of nonfatty, protein rich foods, including oat bran" and he considers oat bran a key component. At 25gm of carbs for 1 cup of cooked oat bran, that's a lot of carbs.

At any rate, whatever works for you. Some do well on South Beach, others on Carb Addicts, etc. In the end, we have to find the WOE we can stick to for life because if we can't, then it doesn't matter what 'diet' we're on.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #18
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Just glancing at the article I linked, I get the feeling the oat bran is included as a fiber because constipation is mentioned during the all-protein "attack phase"?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Oat bran is included in all phases, in measured amts. Tablespoons. And in the attack phase, I think it is 1 1/2 T.
I said it before, I don't think the Dr was thinking of binge eaters when he discussed the maintain phase.....eating a normal (not binging) diet except for meat Thursday, or something like that.

There was no need for him to give Atkins kudos, really. LC eating has been around forever. I followed it the first time in '69-70....no book.
But what the heck, peop keep comparing any LC plan that comes along to Atkins. Fat to Skinny also gives Atkins praise....not a terrible thing.

Maybe these plans are so successful because instead of burning dietary fat, they go right to the fat cells!! What a concept.
You never know if something works until you try it. Peop who've never achieved adequate weight loss by following high fat/LC may actually lose.....I don't know. But I will keep an open mind.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: McMonkey
Stats: 185.4/173.7/152
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 2/21/2009
I just downloaded the ebook on my kindle. As soon as i finish the bag of bacon bits and pounds of swiss cheese i bought, i may give it a whirl
McMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jadelee
I heard it's what Jennifer Lopez uses so it's worth checking out! I'll read the book in May when it's due out in English.
jadelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Feelin'Great!
How Does the Dukan Diet Work?
Like the Atkins diet, the Dukan diet is divided into 4 stages, each stage have a specific purpose to help achieve your weight loss goals. The stages are:

1. Attack Phase: This is a protein only diet, just like the Atkins Induction phase. You can eat meat, fish and eggs and should drink plenty of fluids, ideally just water. The aim is to halt sugar burning and start fat burning, i.e. you make your body change its metabolism to burn fat. Protein helps to prevent hunger and also ensures that lean muscle tissue is not wasted, as it often is in a low calorie diet. This phase should last for 2 – 7 days.
2. Cruising Phase: During the cruising phase you alternate protein only days with protein and carb days to keep fat burning rates as high as possible while also eating a healthier diet. You stay in the cruising phase until you lose all the weight that you want to lose. Expect to lose about 2 pounds per week.
3. Consolidation Phase: This third phase is designed to ensure that you do not put back all the weight you lost. Often when people diet to lose weight, as soon as the diet stops they return to the old eating habits that got them fat in the first place. This phase stops that happening. For 2 days a week you can be more relaxed with the diet and have some treats, such as bread, chocolate and alcohol. So for 2 meals each week you can treat yourself. This also helps you to learn to eat moderately the rest of the time. This phase should last for 5 days for every pound lost. So if you lost 20 pounds then you follow this rule for 100 days.
4. Stabilization: This is the continuous ongoing phase that you should follow for the rest of your life. Like the Atkins Maintenance phase. For 1 day a week you have to eat the protein only Attack Phase of the diet, call them Attack Days. For the remainder of the week you aim to eat a more normal and balanced diet, but with fewer calories overall. This rule carries on forever.
This is really just another spin of the Atkins Diet Revolution. There is little real difference, the only difference is the way it is described and that there is no carb counting.

Last edited by Feelin'Great!; 03-20-2011 at 02:57 PM..
Feelin'Great! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: McMonkey
Stats: 185.4/173.7/152
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 2/21/2009
I think this a diet I can do. I like the idea of alternating days.
Calculator on Dukan site says I only need 3 attack days and if I stay with it ,I should be at my desired wt 5/23.
Hello bathing suit!
McMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Krissen
WOE: good question..
I like the idea of carb cycling..
Krissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MissMelodie
Stats: 292/283/GW1:160/GW2: 140, 5'6.5 tall
WOE: low carb, under 20 g/day
Start Date: Jan 2, 2011
This diet was recently attacked in the "news" media, lol. I just started a thread on it, here is the article: British Royal Wedding Blogs - Yahoo! Shine

I think it sounds like a good sound plan however it is not really low carb as they allow oats and bread in some phases of the plan. It's more moderate carb, or controlled carb. It seems to allow a vast variety, yet they are still bashing it probably because it doesn't involve GM cereal, low fat icecream and twinkies!!
MissMelodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
like i always say...

if it works for u...do it!!! Love & Profits:FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jillo
Stats: 247/197/175 5'7"
WOE: MEDI on my own
Start Date: March 2013
So many plans!

I'm going to try this plan if/when I get tired of how I'm LC-ing now.
Jillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bflogurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin'Great! View Post
There is little real difference, the only difference is the way it is described and that there is no carb counting.
I disagree. The Dukan Diet involves low to no-fat. VERY different from Atkins IMHO!
bflogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: msgirl
Stats: 164/147.6/145 -- 5'8.5"
WOE: Stillman's again
Start Date: This time around...October 6, 2014
Funny you should post this...I just happen to be reading about it last night.

It sounds good except the oat bran, then if you are like me.....if I let carbs in the door they tend to take over. I am such an all or nothing person. If I could live with moderation then maybe I could eat "normal" six days a week and protein only on the seventh.

I would like to hear testimonies, etc. Is this something that really works long term?

I am always interested in new things but I have to be super careful if I let any carbs creep in!
msgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #30
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I hope this helps answer your questions.

DUKAN EATING PLAN FYI
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote