Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ptireland
Stats: 291/270/170
WOE: Atkins/Master Cleanse
Start Date: 1/15/2011
Master Cleanse Detox

I did the Master Cleanse Detox last year for 21 days. I call it a detox plan because it's not a long term weight loss plan. You clean your body of toxins, give your liver and kidneys time to rest and repair any damage caused to them, and you eliminate cravings for unhealthy foods or other habits like cigarettes, drinking, drugs, etc.

I didn't really have any of those bad habits other than a junk food habit, but this was really great for me. It was halfway sort of a personal spiritual journey. It was a personal challenge to see if I could do it. It was great.

I made videos along the way and shared them with people on youtube. If you want to check them out, just go to youtube and search for ptireland.

Anyway, my weight eventually crept back up to nearly what it was before I did the master cleanse, and my job started a weight loss contest from January 14th, 2011 to April 15th, 2011. I signed up and my plan is to low carb for the first 2 months and then to do a 30 day master cleanse for the last 30 days of the contest.

I will try to do a modified version of the master cleanse because you're not supposed to exercise while doing it. I will drink 2-3 more glasses of the lemonade per day so I can continue to exercise. This way I won't lose a lot of lean muscle mass and when I stop the cleanse, my basal metabolism will be higher and I'll be able to prevent gaining nearly all of my weight back.

I believe by doing it this way, I will be able to retain a lot of the weight-loss from the cleanse.

Any thoughts? Questions about the Master Cleanse? I'd be more than happy to discuss it with those who are unfamiliar, or those who are familiar to see how they feel about my modified version?
ptireland is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
I hadn't heard of the Master Cleanse but looking it up it looks like water with lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper?

The main problem I see there is the lack of protein (and fats). Without protein coming in so the body can build and repair tissues, the only way it can get the required amino acids is to break down tissue. I don't think taking in additional glasses of the cleanse will help limit muscle loss on the plan. It might give more energy to exercise because of the carbohydrate, but without protein (and the right fats) coming in there is still a problem.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I believe grade B maple syrup has all the macronutrients you need, but lemon pulp probably had a little protein and perhaps the cayenne pepper I would continue taking aminos but this would defeat the cleansing effect which is the goal.

I'll give this some thought.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Medical professionals are in agreement that the various "cleanses" are just a lot of nonsense--and this one is particularly unhealthy because you don't get sufficient protein to maintain your muscle mass!

Any "weight" that's lost is similar to that lost during colonscopy prep--it comes right back as soon as you're sufficiently hydrated, since it's mainly water.

The body is self cleansing. You don't need to rid yourself of 'toxins'--all you need to do is opt for clean eating of whole foods (avoid processed), and your body will repair itself in any way necessary.

You are doing your body harm, not good, with this type of extreme 'cleanse.'
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

That is all completely false. Cleansing works. That's a irrefutable fact and I speak from personal experience. Claiming that someone isn't adequately hydrated when they are on an all liquid diet is laughable.

Your body is self-cleansing but when you put lots of toxins through your liver, kidneys, etc. they never have a chance to rest and eventually you have reduced function. By giving them a rest, they can heal and restore full function.

I felt great on the master cleanse. This is why I'm doing it again. If I could figure out a way to ingest more protein without eating, I'd do it. Even if I don't, by exercising during the program, I'll lose minimal muscle mass, and I'll hit it hard when the cleanse is over.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It's sad that you believe this marketing.

The function of the liver in our bodies is to filter toxins. My liver is healthy, so I am assuming that it's doing its job, and I don't have to help it out.

I haven't been ill (not even a cold) in the past several years, something I attribute to healthy eating and exercising--I'm 69 years old. I think that's pretty good for someone who, according to you, must be 'full of toxins' from never having done a 'cleanse.'
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I believe in how I felt, and I never felt better. Some people take in more toxins than others. I make no assumptions about you. I know I've lived off of junk food for the last 25 years so I need detox more than some others.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I'm thinking that exercising while on the Master Cleanse would result in more muscle mass loss than not exercising on the plan, just because building and maintaining muscle and tissue requires protein. And if no protein is coming in, the only way the body is going to get the amino acids it requires is to tear down muscle and tissue.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: springalong
Stats: 205/180/130
WOE: LFL
Very interesting. What about other cleanses? Have you considered going into a health food store and enquiring checking out their books.

I feel I need to rid my body of toxins as well, as I've been a "quiet junk food eater" for many years. I'm sure my liver is not happy.
springalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Just for a comparison plan, you could check out the Eades Six Week Cure. It also includes a 'detox' stage if you will, which consists of having protein shakes with some amount of fat. This is supposed to be quite helpful in clearing up fatty liver as well.

Macronutrients are carbohydrate, protein and fat. Maple syrup is nearly all carbohydrate (and water), with nearly zero fat and zero protein.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Apologies for my malapropism , I meant micro-nutrients (vitamins & minerals) are in maple syrup, not macro-nutrients. There is some protein in lemon pulp though.

The juice from fresh lemons and limes helps dissolve kidney stones and gallstones. Lemon pulp is high in bioflavanoids, which helps strengthen the weakened tissue in those areas. Lemon Pulp also has protein content. Cayenne pepper helps promote circulation, strengthens the heart, and helps stop internal and external bleeding. It also helps to speed up the metabolism.

Granted, the protein content on this diet falls below optimum levels for building or retaining muscle, but never-the-less, it does detox and cleanse the body, and gives the filtering organs of the body time to rest and recover from damage done to them, which in turn makes you healthier.

If there were a way for me to bring protein to my muscles without having it filtered through my liver, kidneys, or other organs, I'd do it. But there is no way to do this so I'll do this the only way I know how.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pegbord
Stats: 175.8/128.8/111
WOE: hcg/Simeons
Start Date: sept 2009 - maint round Mar 1, 2011
ptireland, I'm curious how you did on your cleanse? How many days did you go and what were the highlights and difficulties? Stanley Burroughs wrote The Master Cleanse which has been around since at least 1976 and continues to hold strong as a detoxing cleanse that has not deviated from its original form. I remember my grandma being on this cleanse and she was as vibrant as ever while doing so
pegbord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

The first one went well, but the second didn't. I was frustrated because the other guys on my team were gaining weight and not even trying and I had lost more weight than the 3 of them combined and I was thinking....."Why am I starving myself when these guys won't even try?" and then I lost my job and the diet went out the window. Now I'm in California looking for work and my wife and daughter are back in Florida until I find a job and secure a place for them to stay.

Then they'll come out.

I've been getting a lot of calls and a few interviews. I am going to a 2nd interview tomorrow for a company that does IT stuff for law firms. Wish me luck.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pegbord
Stats: 175.8/128.8/111
WOE: hcg/Simeons
Start Date: sept 2009 - maint round Mar 1, 2011
Ya, I get where that can be really frustrating! Especially since it seems you were doing this as a team effort - hard when you don't see other members of the team putting in the effort you are. Congrats on a good first round, though - ultimately this is for you, and not the others that make up the "team." I know you already know that, just helps sometimes to remember it when your in the midst of juxtaposition. Sorry about losing your job and being separated from your wife and daughter right now. That sounds extremely difficult and frustrating. Very much best of wishes on your interview!!!

I hope you will post again if/when you are considering another round of the master cleanse - I'll cheer you on!

176 175 174 173 172 171 170 169 168 167 166 165 164 163 162 161 160 159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111
pegbord is offline   Reply With Quote