Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   Egg/Protein Fast - Resurrection - 2011 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/705958-egg-protein-fast-resurrection-2011-a.html)

LJB 01-14-2011 12:43 PM

Egg/Protein Fast - Resurrection - 2011

An oldie but a goody! Feel like joining me?:welcome:

Okay, here goes::)

EGG / PROTEIN FAST FAQS

Q. Is it a diet?
A. No, itís a FAST.

Q. Where are the rules?
A. Since itís not a diet, there are no hard and fast rules, but we have some suggestions. The cool thing about this is that YOU personalize it to your needs.

Q. Isnít fasting dangerous?
A. It depends on the fast and your situation. I am a diabetic, hypothyroid and a cancer survivor, and I consider my health very important. I make sure to fast in a safe, healthy way, including plenty of good-quality protein instead of carbs. However, if you have ANY concern about doing a fast of any kind, PLEASE check with your health care provider, one who knows your medical situation, before starting anything.

Q. Isnít this a fad?
A. No, itís a FAST. Seriously, short-term fasting has been used for centuries to cleanse and re-set peopleís systems, as well as many other reasons. Dr. Atkins suggested a fast to break a stall in weight loss. Other doctors recommend fasts of many types.

Q. Is this low calorie?
A. Thatís up to you, as you know what your body does best and at what level, but NO, this is not about starving yourself or depriving yourself or not eating. Most people eat a good amount of calories in protein and fats. We donít recommend going under 1200 calories.

Q. What can I eat on the Egg / Protein Fast?
A. You can eat whatever you choose, but the focus of this fast is to eat good-quality protein, mainly eggs, in many forms and other good proteins. Some people lose better eating good fats as well as protein, but others choose a lower fat option.

Q. What can I NOT eat on the Egg / Protein Fast?
A. You can eat whatever you choose, but most of us are focusing on protein, (mainly eggs) and are fasting from: dairy, all forms of sugar, all grains, and vegetables during the fast itself. We add back veggies and other foods during Transition.

Q. How long can I stay on the Egg / Protein Fast?
A. Again, this is up to you, but we recommend this ONLY as a short-term cleanse and fast, usually 1-3 days. After that we encourage you to start adding in veggies and other foods. However, the decision is totally up to you and how you feel and what you choose to do and how long you decide to stay on it.

Q.What if I donít like eggs?
A. Well, you picked a funny fast to try! Seriously, use another protein if you donít care for, or are allergic to eggs. If you donít think you like eggs, check out our recipes to see if there may be a preparation using eggs that sounds good to you.

Q. What if I have questions?
A. Come and visit our thread, there a LOTS of helpful, caring and supportive people there.

Q. Will it work for me, guaranteed?
A. The only thing in this life that is guaranteed is that one day you will die.
Everyone is different and some people tried it, but didnít get the results they wanted and others say it has changed their lives! So, we really do believe that everyone is different with different bodies, different needs and different metabolisms. The only way to see if the EPF will work for you is to give it the best shot you can and follow the suggestions.

Q. Is anyone making anything promoting this fast?
A. Only the egg farmers! Seriously, this is not a book or a diet and no one is hawking this to promote anything except an option that has been successful for many people. We are here because it works for us and we want to help anyone that wants to try it. And, itís FREE (well, you gotta buy your own eggs!)

Q: What is ďTransitionĒ you keep talking about?
A: That is when you end the EPF and start adding vegetables and other foods back into your diet. We recommend a Transition because it helps to make it a slow addition, not all at once. You can stay on Transition as long as you like and are adding in healthy foods. Next you can go back to your regular Low Carb plan, or cycle the EPF again.

Q: What are your tips and suggestions for the best results from the Egg / Protein Fast?
A. Iím GLAD you asked!

Here are 2 posts by people who have done the fast and had great results!

Here are my SUGGESTIONS (written by *I think Mountain Girl many moons ago):
You can do the Egg / Protein Fast 1-2-3 or more days. Whatever works for you. I did 3 days, then Transitioned.
I do better with higher fat, I lose better and feel more satisfied.
I eat mainly eggs, and prepare them simply.
No veggies, no cheese or dairy, nothing with sugar in it.
I eat often, never skip meals!
Whenever hungry, I eat an egg or 2.
Drink lots of liquids, I like water and stevia.
I take my supplements.Here's more SUGGESTIONS, (written by Emily) - *Where is Emily??:confused::

As far as "rules" for the Egg Fast, we discussed not having a set of hard and fast rules, but rather guidelines (eat eggs and meat and fat until satisfied) because people really do tweak it to their likes/dislikes and how their body feels.

I'm a huge believer in YMMV and encouraging each person to get in tune with their body and find out what works for them. There is no one size fits all WOE! What works for some may not work for others and the most wonderful thing about a very clean Meat & Egg fast (or for me, a more extended WOE) is it is very much a clean slate that allows you to "figure things out"...much like an elimination diet that doctors put people on to figure out food allergies.

Some variations on the Egg/Protein Fast (EPF) theme include:

- with or without meat
- higher or lower fat
- with or without dairy such as cheese and cream (tho many who do eat this keep it moderate
- with or without artificial sweeteners...my sweetener of choice is stevia and only 1 to 2 packets/day max

(Your body does react to sweet and if you can move away from the diet sodas, the crystal lights, etc. Then your body will thank you.)

- with or without supplementation, which may include a multi-vitamin, (cod liver oil), CO (coconut oil, also used as a general healthy fat), and (apple cider vinegar-- must be unfiltered and with the "mother"), to name a few
There are lots of sample menus sprinkled throughout the forum, search is your friend until I can find the recipe thread.

Good Luck!

Also, this is probably the only way I can get into ketosis. So it may take you a bit longer to feel less hunger and headaches. Be patient!

LJB 01-14-2011 12:49 PM

My menu today:

Breakfast: Eggs/tuna with mayo

Lunch: Eggs/tuna with a bit of ranch, tofu, cottage cheese and turkey with hot sauce.

Dinner: More of the same

me123 01-15-2011 11:23 AM

Hi,

Would I be able to chew sugar free gum while doing this fast or is that not allowed?

ladyboss7 01-15-2011 01:31 PM

Lora how are you!!!!! :hugs:

It's so nice to see you starting a new eggfast thread!!! I am definitely in!!!! I've had to start all over, but I'm back and I'm here to stay!!!! :kicking:

It'll be fun to see how many of our other eggies join us.

ladyboss7 01-15-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me123 (Post 14275290)
Hi,

Would I be able to chew sugar free gum while doing this fast or is that not allowed?

There really are no hard and fast rules, you do what works best for you. Some of us can chew sugar free gum with no problem...some of us find that it unleashes cravings for other foods we're trying to avoid. If it doesn't affect you negatively, then go for it!

me123 01-15-2011 03:53 PM

Thanks ladyboss7!

B: egg cream
L: chicken thigh
D: probably 3 eggs w/ mayo

LJB 01-17-2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyboss7 (Post 14275581)
Lora how are you!!!!! :hugs:

It's so nice to see you starting a new eggfast thread!!! I am definitely in!!!! I've had to start all over, but I'm back and I'm here to stay!!!! :kicking:

It'll be fun to see how many of our other eggies join us.

:clap::clap:LTNS!!!!!!!:hugs::hugs:

I think I have to start a new one! I am fluffy!

Mommie22boys 01-17-2011 05:36 AM

Well, I am just returning to LCF after TOO LONG away. I am so glad this thread was started. . .it's exactly what I as looking for to get back on track. I am in! :)

Gonna need to boil up some eggs. . .

LJB 01-17-2011 08:52 AM

I really love fried eggs with cottage cheese. I can't stomach hard-boiled all that much anymore.

Mommie22boys 01-17-2011 05:49 PM

So here's what I ate today. Of course, I was off from work today, and decided I needed to cook up some things for myself for the week so I was prepared. . .

B: coffee w/ cream and an egg blended in til frothy
L: Chicken thigh and a HB egg
Snacks (This is more of me just grazing on things as I was prepping for the week): another chicken thigh and wing, about half of a chuck eye steak, 4 shrimp, and a few forkfuls of chicken salad
D: was going to make a couple of eggs, but I'm not really hungry, so I may have a cup of coffee and call it a night.

Drank water and had a Pepsi One also.

LJB 01-17-2011 06:04 PM

I was hungry today! I need to eat more fat!

Mommie22boys 01-18-2011 05:12 PM

Just checking in for the day. . .I'm going to try to remember to post daily what I've eaten. Here's what I had today:

B: coffee w/ hwc and a splash of DaVinci's
L: chuck eye steak w/ shrimp (scampi-style), and 1 serving of breakfast custard
Mid-Afternoon Graze: about 1/2 cup chicken salad, a HB egg w/ a smear of dressing, 2T of sour cream
D: Warm chocolate egg cream (unsweetened choc almond milk, hwc, cocoa powder, DaVinci's, 1T OEVCO, and 2 eggs)

Drank water and a Pepsi One. I'm still going to be dinking another 24oz of water before I hit the hay. . .I like to try to end the day on a nice big fill-up of water.

How's everyone else doing?

LJB 01-18-2011 06:44 PM

Ate a cookie at dinner...not planning my food out very well. Will do better@

ladyboss7 01-18-2011 08:37 PM

What a day!!!! It was beyond long and very stressful.....calories were way too low today because I was too busy to eat! Managed to get in 640 calories.....have to improve that tomorrow.

B: Coffee, hard boiled egg
L: small piece of ham, 1/2 slice american cheese, lettuce & tomato (took the bread off of a pre-made sandwich)
D: Cream cheese salad

Here's praying tomorrow is a better day!

LJB 01-19-2011 07:05 AM

Very stressful the last couple of days. I have to hang in there!

Mommie22boys 01-19-2011 09:41 AM

Hey Ladyboss, what's your recipe for cream cheese salad? Cream cheese is such a favorite of mine, and I'd love a new way to use it. I'm avoiding it at the moment, as I don't want to have too much dairy. But that won't last forever. =)

ladyboss7 01-19-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommie22boys (Post 14289991)
Hey Ladyboss, what's your recipe for cream cheese salad? Cream cheese is such a favorite of mine, and I'd love a new way to use it. I'm avoiding it at the moment, as I don't want to have too much dairy. But that won't last forever. =)

This is one of my favorites!!! It was posted by someone else on our eggfast board a couple of years back:

1 cup whipping cream (not whipped)
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup Splenda
1 8oz pk cream cheese (room temp)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup cold water
1 pk knox unflavored gelatin

pour gelatin into 1/4 cup water, set aside

heat cream and sour cream in medium pan. (do not boil, just warmed)
add vanilla and sugar, stir to dissolve sugar

beat cream cheese like a rented mule, add to warmed cream mixture. Mix well and add the gelatin/water....

pour into 4 individual dishes (i use little tupperware dishes) and refrigerate until set. I usually drizzle a little SF raspberry syrup and SF Choc. syrup on top and swirl it in for a really yummy not to sweet desert!! :p

LJB 01-20-2011 02:56 AM

Looks good! YUM!

LJB 01-20-2011 11:42 AM

Good Afternoon, everyone!

Feels as though I am doing better the last few days. I believe my strategy is working and I feel stronger at the gym, too.

Today's Menu:

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled, tuna with mayo, mustard and hot sauce.
Snack: 1/2 grapefruit
Lunch: Big salad with chicken breast, balsamic vinaigrette.
Dinner: Same as breakfast.

Mommie22boys 01-22-2011 06:30 AM

@Ladyboss: Thanks so much for the recipe. I will definately be trying that one!

Sorry I haven't been here in a few days, but I ended up coming down with strep throat and have been doing absolutely nothing but lying on the couch for the past 2 days. I have had a hard time eating anything in that time, as my throat was so sore and swollen. I ate a serving of custard and a little chicken on the first day. Yesterday I had some steak and some cream cheese and pb on a WASA. I needed the cracker as I was feeling kinda nauseous after taking my vitamin on an empty stomach. I actually lost 2 pounds the first day, and another 1.2 pounds this morning. I need to eat something, though, as now I'm feeling pretty hungry.

I am really feeling like I need a salad. I think I'm going to make one with a little lettuce, ham, cheese, chopped egg, 2 or 3 chopped cherry tomatoes, guac (love those little 100 cal packs!), sour cream and dressing. Not much in the way of veggies in that salad, but I'm ok with that. I want to stick with eggs and protein, but after eating basically nothing for the past two days, I'm going to have my salad and then go right back to strict egg/protein like I have been doing.

How is everyone else doing?

LJB 01-22-2011 07:44 AM

Doing great, Andrea!

I'm heading into the cold to get to the gym..

Take care everyone!

JK130 01-22-2011 07:54 AM

I love, love, love your CAN DO attitudes, ladies! :clap::clap::clap: and, you back it up with action! Awesome! :high5::high5::high5:

Mommie22boys 01-22-2011 07:15 PM

Ok, so now that I'm back to the land of the living and can eat again, here's what I had today:

B: the aforementioned salad, but with turkey instead of ham
L: ham and cream cheese roll-ups
S: 4 small pieces of hard cheese with one slice of pepperoni and 2 dips of spinach dip (we were at my MIL's, and that was about all she had that I could eat. . .I was really hungry there this afternoon)
D: 1-egg egg salad

I did not drink enough water, yet had plenty of Pepsi One. :blush: More water is still on the menu tonight, though.

What is everyone else eating? How're we all doing thus far?

LJB 01-23-2011 06:20 AM

Eggs/meat/salad/fat...today!

Mommie22boys 01-24-2011 09:45 AM

Yesterday:

B: 1-egg egg salad
S: 2 oz. Gouda
L: 3 eggs, 3 slices bacon, 2 pieces sausage (we went to Cracker Barrel)
S: coffee w/ hwc, a couple bites each of egg salad and tuna salad (as I was prepping them for the week)
D: small portion of beef sauteed w/ spinach and some chopped onion & garlic

Drank diet soda and coffee. . .only one glass of water all day. Getting my water in is going to be a challenge! I soooo :heart: my Pepsi One!

The family went snow-tubing yesterday out in the bitter cold. It was so much fun! I am surprised at the parts of my body that are sore today. . .I don't work out enough.

My scale continues to inch down. I'll report my official weight tomorrow. Stay tuned. . .;)

Mommie22boys 01-24-2011 06:31 PM

Hi guys! Where is everybody? Check in and let us know how you're doing.

Here's what I ate today:

B: warm chocolate egg cream (only drank about 1/2, because it wasn't as hot as I like it and couldn't nuke it. bummed.)
S: coffee w/ hwc and DaVinci's
L: chuckeye steak with butter
S: ham and cream cheese roll ups and a couple of forkfulls of tuna salad
D: 3 eggs with 1 1/2 strips of bacon

I did better on my water today. Still had 2 sodas, though. When I'm done here, I still have some more work to do, so I'm going to get a big glass of ice water to drink.

Cheers!

ladyboss7 01-25-2011 05:43 PM

Hi everyone! :hiya:

It is kind of quiet around here isn't it??? I had a crazy day, so my menu today as kind of....weak...but full of protein!

B: coffee, cream
L: chicken Lettuce wraps from Flo's chinese rest. (and a little bit of white rice :() I know I shouldn't have had the rice....but it was sooo good...I could live on rice!
D: 5 ounces of chicken breast & 1 C asparagus sauteed in butter & garlic

Only at about 790 calories for the day....have to step it up a little.

LJB 01-25-2011 05:49 PM

Changing up the transition portion of the plan.

Today's Menu:

B: 3 scrambled eggs with mustard and salsa
S: 1/2 Grapefruit
L: Garden salad with chicken breast, balsamic dressing
S: 1/2 Grapefruit
D: Mixed Greens with broccoli, tuna with mayo, hardboiled egg, red wine vinegar, black pepper

Lots of water and tea!

milo_juniper 01-25-2011 10:00 PM

Hi eggies! I am interested in joining you soon. I was on the Stillman's program of lean meat and very little else, and began to miss fat & fiber terribly. I've read Jimmy Moore's egg fast blog, and several other testimonials of people losing weight by eating nothing but eggs, so I want in on this!

My plan is to drink a shake made of 2 eggs, 1 Tb coconut oil, 1 Tb butter, and 2T psyllium when I'm hungry, and to eat meat if I still feel hungry after the shake. Water, tea, and coffee with liquid splenda or stevia to drink. For exercise I'll be doing the 30 Day Shred. And I'm going to supplement with a multi, fish oil, Vitamin D3, chromium, and ginkgo.

But first I need to eat all of the perishable veggies in the fridge...

canadianwoman 01-26-2011 01:01 AM

Count me in because this is what I am basically doing anyway....and LUVIN' IT!! :)