Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Ideal Protein

This has probably been mentioned here before, but where I live, there are lots of people who have lost big amounts of weight. It's called "Ideal Weight":

I went to a meeting yesterday, thinking maybe I'd try it because I'm always trying to get those last 10 lbs. off. It is very expensive, over $300 to get started! The plan is essentially low carb, but leave out the saturated fats, in fact, almost all fat. You have to have 1-2 tsp. of olive oil or grape seed extract oil because you need SOME fat. The whole thing sounds very complicated and expensive (have to buy lots of products).

I'm sure glad I got that out of my system! Atkins is easy by comparison and cheap!

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
This has probably been mentioned here before, but where I live, there are lots of people who have lost big amounts of weight. It's called "Ideal Weight":

I went to a meeting yesterday, thinking maybe I'd try it because I'm always trying to get those last 10 lbs. off. It is very expensive, over $300 to get started! The plan is essentially low carb, but leave out the saturated fats, in fact, almost all fat. You have to have 1-2 tsp. of olive oil or grape seed extract oil because you need SOME fat. The whole thing sounds very complicated and expensive (have to buy lots of products).

I'm sure glad I got that out of my system! Atkins is easy by comparison and cheap!
I'll stick to my WOE/WOL. It easy, affordable and working fine. This plan on the link just doesn't seem "right" to me.

Thanks for the info, btw. Very "enlightening"!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pennylovesdarren
WOE: WW points plus
Start Date: March 16, 2012
I've done Ideal Protein through my naturopath and have lost 60 lbs. It didn't cost me $300 to get started although over the course of the last 8 months I've spent a lot of money but well worth it because of the results and how my body looks.
pennylovesdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Great...good to hear that it worked for you!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Julsanne
Stats: 237/199/160
WOE: Ideal Protein
Start Date: May 2010
I am doing Ideal Protein right now but am finding that I can expand the food list somewhat and still lose the weight. It was very expensive for me to get started with it but I figured I needed to do something and the one on one counseling was worth the cost to me. I've lost 36 pounds so far but wish maybe I had researched Atkins a little more before spending all the money.
Julsanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Julsanne~ don't focus on the money you've spent, focus on the weight you are losing. It's a great plan! I've spent so much money trying a variety of diets that I never stayed on except this one. My naturopath started me on it and kept me accountable. I've lost 60 lbs. despite eating more than I was supposed to. I like the food and I love the results. I look 15 years younger than I did before and that is priceless. Stay on the plan and you'll be at goal in no time! Oh, by the way, now I do a loose version of atkins w/ ideal protein a few times a week and I'm maintaining. It's my own version of "ideal atkins" I'd eat ideal protein the rest of my life if it meant staying thin and feeling as good as I do now though.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Julsanne
Stats: 237/199/160
WOE: Ideal Protein
Start Date: May 2010
Thank you

Hi Penny,
Thank you so much for the encouragement. It really helps to know that there is someone out there who can relate to what I am doing and feeling. I don't know anyone else who is doing or has done Ideal Protein. So this is a huge encouragement to me. You just gave me the motivation to stay on plan and keep my chin up. I have lost 36 pounds since May and do feel great. I have about 44 more to go and feel more like I can do it now. Again, thank you for your words. They are very much appreciated.

Julsanne
Julsanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

No problem Julsanne! I am a big fan of ideal protein! I saw some old pictures of myself yesterday......... so I will always support anyone doing it.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gibster
oops

Last edited by gibster; 07-28-2010 at 06:09 PM..
gibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Okay - let's try this again.

Penny - congrats on your weight loss. I have a couple of questions for you about Ideal Protein. I've read the brochure and I found a listing of the nutritional data of the IP foods. From what I've read, IP tells you to cut out all sugar, but a lot of the foods contain sugar/carbs. How do they explain this? Just curious.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Linda! I really can't remember. I started IP last August and my memory It works though Sorry! I will think about it and look for my info. that is at home and see if it says anything.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: advocatemom
Glad I checked this message board! I have just recently heard of Ideal Protein and called the local provider in my area. I am going to a free info session next week and will most likely sign up. I've yo-yo'd for years on many different plans and have spent lots of $$. Low carb is when I feel the best but boy can I overdo it on all the good fatty foods (rib-eyes, bacon, butter, hwc, etc.) to the point where it doesn't work after the first few weeks. I need portion control lessons and a strict program to work through the 60 or so lbs that I have to lose.

penny, what was your starting weight and how long did it take to lose your 60 lbs? Also, when did you start eating more real food than the 1 meal/day in Phase 1? I'm sure I'll learn all of this and more next week but if you have any tips that would be great!

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatemom View Post
Glad I checked this message board! I have just recently heard of Ideal Protein and called the local provider in my area. I am going to a free info session next week and will most likely sign up. I've yo-yo'd for years on many different plans and have spent lots of $$. Low carb is when I feel the best but boy can I overdo it on all the good fatty foods (rib-eyes, bacon, butter, hwc, etc.) to the point where it doesn't work after the first few weeks. I need portion control lessons and a strict program to work through the 60 or so lbs that I have to lose.

penny, what was your starting weight and how long did it take to lose your 60 lbs? Also, when did you start eating more real food than the 1 meal/day in Phase 1? I'm sure I'll learn all of this and more next week but if you have any tips that would be great!

Thanks!
Hi, A-mom. I may go to one of those info meetings next Monday, too. I'll probably ask my chiropractor about it tomorrow, because I know she lost her last 30 lbs on IP, and her partner/brother lost a lot of weight on it, too. I may consider it for the accountability factor.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mommajen88
doing Ideal Protein since May 2010

Hi
I have been on Ideal Protein (IP) since mid May 2010. I have gone from 173 to 144 (so far) and have been pretty happy with the plan. It is costly but you also do not buy as much groceries as you may have previously so some people find it is not too bad financially. The protocols can be followed without buying IP foods. Once you know the nutritional facts of the products you can substitute cheaper versions. I know a lot of people who use EAS or Lindora products (ie: drinks & bars) instead.
It is similar to any other low carb routine in that when you are in ketosis, you are losing weight. IP was designed 25 years ago in France by a doctor who helped athletes drop weight without losing muscle. So, the food is low fat, low carb (not no carb) and moderate protein.
The best part about this plan is how a person phases off. The last 2 phases (phase 3 & 4) are all about training your pancreas to release appropriate amounts of insulin and training your cells to react effectively to glucose and insulin (this is why the plan works so well for people with metobolic issues like PCOS, insulin resistance etc.) By the time you are in maintanence, you are expected to eat healthy (proteins, veggies, some fruits and quality carbs early in the day). You are also expected to cheat once per week as a way to keep your pancreas functioning effectively.
It is a great plan for a lot of people. I like how quickly it works, how great I feel and how well maintanence works (went on maintanence for vacation and still lost weight). But like any low carb plan, you gotta be committed.
mommajen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibster View Post
Okay - let's try this again.

Penny - congrats on your weight loss. I have a couple of questions for you about Ideal Protein. I've read the brochure and I found a listing of the nutritional data of the IP foods. From what I've read, IP tells you to cut out all sugar, but a lot of the foods contain sugar/carbs. How do they explain this? Just curious.
the plan is low carb not no carb. Some of the foods are considered "restricted" meaning you can only eat that particular food oncer per day or only 2 times per week. If you follow the eating plan you take in anywhere from 35 -45 grams of carbs per day. It is also low fat and low calorie so you do lose weight (and fast!!). You are in ketosis so you aren't hungry either.
Most of the sugars in the foods are sugar substitutes, stevia and other ones that don't knock you out of ketosis.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: advocatemom
Started IP 2-weeks ago

I took the plunge and started IP almost two weeks ago (on Tuesday it will be 2 weeks exactly) and I've lost 12 lbs as of my scale this morning!! The first week was very, very difficult and pretty unpleasant as my body adjusted to this new diet. This week I've felt much better and must be in ketosis (I've never used the sticks to tell for sure). I'm still hungry sometimes but I'm learning how to use the protein packs and veggies during the day to help keep me full.

My sister also started the same day and we are doing a great job of supporting each other. I think this plan would be difficult without a partner - it's pretty extreme!

I'm trying to read up all I can on the plan and others' successes on this plan to help me keep motivated. I've got at least 60 lbs to lose so I know it will take some time. I'm more and more excited about Phase 3 & 4 and how we will be more in control of the way our body responds to foods.

I also have a vacation planned in about three months so I will have to phase off the diet - go on vacation - and then get back on Phase 1. If you can share how this worked for you, I would appreciate it!! I'm sure it will help me get ready for mine and get ready to come home and get back on track!

Looking forward to learning and losing more!
advocatemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatemom View Post
I took the plunge and started IP almost two weeks ago (on Tuesday it will be 2 weeks exactly) and I've lost 12 lbs as of my scale this morning!! The first week was very, very difficult and pretty unpleasant as my body adjusted to this new diet. This week I've felt much better and must be in ketosis (I've never used the sticks to tell for sure). I'm still hungry sometimes but I'm learning how to use the protein packs and veggies during the day to help keep me full.

My sister also started the same day and we are doing a great job of supporting each other. I think this plan would be difficult without a partner - it's pretty extreme!

I'm trying to read up all I can on the plan and others' successes on this plan to help me keep motivated. I've got at least 60 lbs to lose so I know it will take some time. I'm more and more excited about Phase 3 & 4 and how we will be more in control of the way our body responds to foods.

I also have a vacation planned in about three months so I will have to phase off the diet - go on vacation - and then get back on Phase 1. If you can share how this worked for you, I would appreciate it!! I'm sure it will help me get ready for mine and get ready to come home and get back on track!

Looking forward to learning and losing more!
Great job!!
I went on vacation a few weeks back and phased off before I left. I was in phase 4 while on holidays. I gained a couple of pounds after being in vacation mode for 10 days, went back to phase 1 right away and lost about 10 pounds in less than 3 weeks. I know lots of people in phase 4 who are enjoying life and having no problems sticking to the principles. I can't say enough about this diet! Check out 3fatchicks they have a very active IP thread over there.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the heads up re: 3fatchicks. I IP!