Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
The Dukan Diet

Quote:
The stated objective of the Dukan Diet is to provide a system of perfectly interwoven instructions that are sufficiently clear and direct that theyset the dieter on the right track avoiding the need for that never-ending effort of will power that slowly undermines their determination.

These instructions join together in four successive diets, the first two making up the actual weight-loss phase, while the next two ensure that the weight loss achieved is consolidated than permanently stabilized.
Attack Phase: An initial attack phase led by the "pure protein diet" that creates a stunning kick-start, almost as quickly as fasting or powdered protein diets but without their drawbacks.

The Cruise Phase: A cruise phase led by an "alternating protein" diet, which allows you to reach your chosen weight non-stop in one go.

The Consolidation Phase: A consolidation phase when the weight you have achieved is consolidated, a phase designed to prevent the rebound effect that occurs after any rapid weight-loss. This is a period of high vulnerability when the body has a tendency to very easily regain those lost pounds. It has a very precise time-scale: 5 days for every pound lost.

The Stabilization Phase: Finally, and most importantly, permanent stabilization based on a simple, safety measure, that is easy to follow but indispensable if the weight loss is to be maintained: the Dukan Diet has to be followed one set day per week for the rest of your life. This rule is indeed strict and non-negotiable, but it is sufficiently specific and effective that it can be adhered to over such a long period of time.

You can calculate (as a guideline) of how long you should be in each phase in order to reach your goal and how to maintain it.

Remember! It is only a guideline. Your results may vary.

Mail Online UK has by far the best outline of the plan. You will get an idea of what this diet entails.

Amazon.uk sells the English translation of the book. I do not see it as being available in the US or Canada as yet.

Come on in and let's do this!

"Eating fat and protein?Go figure!." -
Lora

Last edited by LJB; 04-28-2010 at 11:58 AM..
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Deb

Gallery: Deb
Hi Lora
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
LJB

I am sending this out to the other Dukan threads so Mimosa can help me!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Deb

My neibour just called me to ask me if i wanted anything from (big) town

i said yes as a matter of fact i need some oat-bran

hope she can find some at wal-mart
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
LJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel 7 View Post
My neibour just called me to ask me if i wanted anything from (big) town

i said yes as a matter of fact i need some oat-bran

hope she can find some at wal-mart
I'll look around tonight at the store.

We can do this!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/245/160
WOE: No Snacking, Moderate Carbs
Start Date: Every Single Day For The Rest Of My Life
I h...a...t...e lean meats but I'm considering doing this plan even though it might drive me batty because I'm having heartburn more and more frequently since starting Atkins when I eat higher fat meats. I have never been one to have acid reflux so it is driving me nuts.

I've done the calculator and should do a 7 day attack. Since I'm already on day 3 of a M/E thing I guess I could just cut my fat more (which should help this reflux). I'm just not sure I could hack it.

http://www.365fitjournal.wordpress.com
FitMommyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
LJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMommyNow View Post
I h...a...t...e lean meats but I'm considering doing this plan even though it might drive me batty because I'm having heartburn more and more frequently since starting Atkins when I eat higher fat meats. I have never been one to have acid reflux so it is driving me nuts.

I've done the calculator and should do a 7 day attack. Since I'm already on day 3 of a M/E thing I guess I could just cut my fat more (which should help this reflux). I'm just not sure I could hack it.
You can eat the fish, pork, veal, chicken, turkey, etc. Its all good!

I bought different types of meat this weekend to prevent boredom. Salmon, turkey, chicken, tuna, and yes, I'm eating my homemade tofu burgers, too!

My mini goal is to prevent binging in the evenings and weekends. Once I am successful then I'll really be on my way.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJR View Post
You can eat the fish, pork, veal, chicken, turkey, etc. Its all good!

I bought different types of meat this weekend to prevent boredom. Salmon, turkey, chicken, tuna, and yes, I'm eating my homemade tofu burgers, too!

My mini goal is to prevent binging in the evenings and weekends. Once I am successful then I'll really be on my way.
I am thinking that I can't eat the high fat meats anymore as I seem to be getting heartburn unless I eat plain eggs, tuna, or chicken.

I believe this Dukan Diet is pork free until Phase 3.

I haven't been losing well on Atkins so maybe this will work well for me. I lost the most weight on lower fat/low carb so it probably will.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Deb

hmmm no pork till phase 3..gotta get my printer out and print the rules..lol

ok attack for me is 2 days..cruise is 29 days

not bad at all
Old 04-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

not bad at all
If you want the most information google The Dukan Regime and have google translate it (unless you speak French).
Old 04-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
LJB

Quote:

not bad at all
I'm lost again! HELP!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Anything NOT on the list is forbidden ... for now:

Shellfish: Prawns are allowed during the attack phase

1 Lean beef and veal or rabbit, not pork or lamb (trim all fat and avoid ribs as too fatty). Eat meat grilled, roasted or boiled and without using butter, oil or cream (not even low-fat versions).
You could also 'dry fry' it - rub the surface of a frying pan with a few drops of oil on kitchen paper. Lean minced beef can be prepared as burgers or meatballs (mixed with an egg, spices, capers or gherkins) or enjoy frozen beefburgers (if less than 10 per cent fat).
2 All chicken and turkey (not goose or farmed duck) but remove skin before eating and avoid the outside part of the wings (too fatty).

3 Ham if low-fat and lean, also cut rind off. Avoid deli, cured, and smoked hams (too fatty).
4 Beef, veal or chicken liver.

5 All fish white or oily, fresh, frozen, dried, smoked or canned (but not in oil or in any sauce containing fat), even crab sticks.

6 All crustaceans and shellfish.

7 Up to two eggs a day. Stick to 3 to 4 yolks per week if you have high cholesterol, but the white can be eaten without restriction.

8 Non-fat dairy products such as 0per cent yoghurt, fromage frais, quark, cottage cheese, and skimmed milk. Natural ( plain) and flavoured yoghurts (coconut, vanilla, lemon) are allowed without restriction, but non-fat fruit yoghurts (containing fruit puree) should be limited to two a day (or avoided if you want a lightning start to your attack phase).

9 Sweeteners (Canderel, Silverspoon Sweetener) or Stevia (a natural sweetener available from health food stores), vinegar, spices, herbs, garlic, onion, gherkins, pickled onions (as condiments, but not in large quantities), lemon juice (on food, but not to drink), mustard and salt (in moderation), sugar-free natural ketchup in moderation, sugar-free chewing gum (can slow down the mechanical swing towards eating whenever you feel under pressure).
Additional rules

HOW MUCH TO LOSE?
To work out your optimum weight loss and calculate a personalised time line for your journey through the Dukan Diet, log on to www. dukandiet.co.uk

Drink 1.5litres of water per day (plain or carbonated) particularly at mealtimes to help you feel full. Tea, coffee and diet drinks (no more than 1 calorie per glass) can be included in this total.

Eat 1.5 tablespoons of oat bran per day (as porridge, sprinkled on yoghurt, or made into a pancake).

Walk briskly for 20 minutes every day. This is a non-negotiable doctor's prescription.
Avoid all butter and oil.

THE CRUISE PHASE
This next phase consists of two alternating diets. This is the workhorse stage where you alternate pure protein days with days when you include a delicious array of unlimited vegetables to your wide selection of meat, fish and no-fat dairy products. Expect to lose around 2lb a week.
The most efficient way to work this stage is to spend one day on the pure protein 'attack' diet (above), and the next on a protein and vegetable diet, switching between the two, one day at a time, until you reach your chosen weight.
However, some people prefer to work to a rhythm of five days of protein followed by five of protein plus vegetables, or, if you have only a little weight to lose, try two days of pure protein (say Mondays and Thursdays) with every other day protein combined with vegetables.
Now you can introduce the following vegetables - raw, steamed, boiled or baked (in foil) - with your meat or fish: artichoke, asparagus, aubergine, broccoli, cabbage (white, red, savoy, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprout), celery/celeriac, chicory, courgette, cucumber, fennel, French beans/ mangetout, leeks, mushrooms, onion, peppers, pumpkin, radish, salad leaves (lettuce/rocket/watercress), sorrel, soya beans, spinach, swede, swiss chard, tomatoes, turnip.
In principle, you can eat as many of these vegetables as you like, whenever you like, but if you want speedy weight loss, it's best not to eat vegetables with complete abandon - better to eat until you no longer feel hungry.
Carrots and beetroot are on the list too, but they are quite starchy, so avoid having them with every meal and while in this phase, steer completely away from starchy vegetables such as potatoes, rice, corn, peas, beans and lentils and avocado (it is technically a fruit anyway).
Don't worry if your weight loss plateaus occasionally on vegetable days. This is merely water levels resetting themselves. Stick with it. The weight will fall off.

The rules

One to five pure protein days (as the 'attack' phase) interspersed with one to five days when quantities of vegetables can also be eaten.
Increase oat bran intake to 2 tbsp per day.
Increase exercise to a 30-minute brisk walk each day.
Keep drinking at least 1.5 litres of water each day.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
LJB

I guess a bit more reading is in order. Thank you! I'm at work so its tough to read when the boss is around.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
Deb

Barb thanks for that !!

ya i was just going back to see if chicken wings we a no no and they are.

when i worked at the weight loss clinic wings were off plan

i just happen to be bbq'ing wings and legs today

I am still doing some reading and learning and im sure im going to start monday

need to get my yogurt and bran

post your menu's gang (please)
Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
LJB

Apparently, I'm doing the plan all wrong. I've eaten more like Stillman's than Dukan's.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sooz
Stats: 171.8/157.9/145 (5'6")
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: Over and over and over
Hope you don't mind that I just watch until I get back from Cabo... then I will start full bore with The Attack phase based on my weight when I get back. I'll start May 27.

Mel: the translated version is also here: The Dukan Diet: Put your fat cells on a revolutionary weight-loss plan | Mail Online

I will have a bit of trouble cutting out my wings and my steak too but I think it will be worth it if as I suspect this will work for me long-term.

Lora: I'm at work too so I have to be careful! I love your new signature......

FitMommyNow: Thanks again for posting the original thread!

Sooz

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I NEGU! Do you?
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
Deb

Is there a steak out there that is classed lean??

and is a courgette just a zucchini ?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sooz
Stats: 171.8/157.9/145 (5'6")
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: Over and over and over
A courgette is indeed a zucchini (YUK!).

I'm curious about a steak that is considered lean too Mel. I have NO idea what low fat is.... I gained 50 pounds once on a low fat diet!

****** says 4 ounces of cooked lean sliced steak is 212 calories, 8 grams of fat, 34 grams of protein and of course no carbs.

The Mayo Clinic says the definition of lean beef is:
A 3.5-ounce serving (about 100 grams) that contains less than:
10 grams total fat
4.5 grams saturated fat

They also say that "Prime" cuts instead of "Choice" or "Select" are the lowest fat.

And these are the cuts they say are considered lean:
■Round steak
■95% lean ground beef
■Chuck shoulder roast
■Arm pot roast
■Shoulder steak
■Strip steak
■Tenderloin steak
■T-bone steak

So maybe I COULD have steak once a week or so.
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
Have you ever tried BISON?

They have bison steaks and ground bison at Whole Foods and it is supposed to be LOWER in fat than even a skinless chicken breast!

Fuddruckers here even serves a bison burger! You cannot taste a difference bt regular ground beef [IMO]
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Deb

Sooz thanks for the information !! You rock even tho you wont move it move it with me for a few weeks

OK that under 10% makes sence cause on the rules it say we can have pre-made burger pattys that are under 10% fat

Bison i love very dry and no fat..i have some in the freezer
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #21
LJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
Have you ever tried BISON?

They have bison steaks and ground bison at Whole Foods and it is supposed to be LOWER in fat than even a skinless chicken breast!

Fuddruckers here even serves a bison burger! You cannot taste a difference bt regular ground beef [IMO]
Yes, I've tried Bison and loved it! I forgot that Whole Foods sells it.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
Deb

I just bought a box of pre-made top sirloin burgers..i have had them before and they are to die 4

34 grams of fat in 1 ..ouch

ok so i can have liver which i love but no bacon so thats NOT going to happen
but i can have it on a cruise day

im starting to really like this

now i am trying to eat more fish so thats good but i have 2 cans left of sardines that have mustard sauce and tomatoe sauce

i guess i couldnt even have them on cruise days could i ?

i usually only eat 1 fish ?? ahhhhhhg
Old 04-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Lean beef A 3.5-ounce serving (about 100 grams) that contains less than:
■10 grams total fat
■4.5 grams saturated fat
■95 milligrams cholesterol
■Round steak
■95% lean ground beef
■Chuck shoulder roast
■Arm pot roast
■Shoulder steak
■Strip steak
■Tenderloin steak
■T-bone steak

Extra-lean beef A 3.5-ounce serving (about 100 grams) that contains less than:
■5 grams total fat
■2 grams saturated fat
■95 milligrams cholesterol
■Eye of round roast
■Top round steak
■Mock tender steak
■Bottom round roast
■Top sirloin steak
Old 04-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW
Start Date: 1/1/13
I'm very jazzed to see how you all do! The earliest I could begin would be next Tuesday....
lil miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #25
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
I'm very jazzed to see how you all do! The earliest I could begin would be next Tuesday....
Im starting monday so your only a day behind me

Barb Top sirloins are on my grocery list

im glad they are down the bottom of the fat list
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

This could be a long, hot summer without chardonnay and ice cream but if I'm out of plus size clothes by the fall, I doubt I'll care what I missed. According to his chart my target weight should be 180lbs (about 20lbs more than I want) and his deal says I'll reach that by mid-January. Also says I should lose 6lbs during ATTACK. If I lose 3 pounds during attack I'll be thrilled. I barely lost 4lbs in two weeks of induction.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #27
Deb

Barb when are you starting ?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Barb when are you starting ?
Well, I'm considering my start this past Monday. I was doing an M/E three day thing anyway so I am considering that my ATTACK start for this too. I'm going to adjust it to really lean meat from today going forward and will stay on ATTACK through Sunday. While you Monday starters are eating pure protein, I'll be having a big ol' salad.

I'm going to weigh on Monday and I'll post how much I lost during ATTACK that morning.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #29
LJB

I finished my dinner and now I'm loaded with energy! I'm going out tonight to meet friends at karaoke.

There are 2 rules for tonight:

1) No alcohol
2) No eating

I'm done with all meals. The feedbag is closed. LOL!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #30
Deb

how about some menu's girls??

oh ya the scale..well im scared cause tom is late

i was 140 last time i stepped on scale

im not going to worry too much about it just keep drillin