Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   6 week cure - 2010 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/656739-6-week-cure-2010-a.html)

speedymagee 01-15-2010 03:12 PM

6 week cure - 2010

Would anyone like to join me in a 6 week cure support thread??

I am starting on Sunday Jan 17, but wherever you are in the program please join me.

Let's get 2010 off to a good start!

Irishway 01-16-2010 05:17 AM

Thought to say, very good luck with following the Eades low carb diet! I've been following their healthy eating/ weight loss system for a couple years now. And I'm looking good and feeling great because of it.

Soobee 01-16-2010 05:59 PM

I'd love to join. My husband and I started today, Jan. 16, sowe should be pretty close on our journey.

speedymagee 01-17-2010 01:35 AM

Great Soobee!! I'm so glad to have someone else to chat about things on the journey!!

I don't want to weigh or measure as I fear I my weight is over the 153 I have posted.

Did you do all the measurements?

My DH and I are starting tomorrow.

Soobee 01-17-2010 06:26 AM

We both measured our middles, standing up and lying down, to determine SAT and VAT proportions. Neither one of us measured anything else, although my husband is keeping track of his blood sugars. I lost 1/2 pound over night. I am very near my goal weight, so that is terrific. My husband woke up at 2:00 AM, and at that time he had lost no weight. We'll figure out what has happened to him tomorrow after a good night's sleep. I was hungry yesterday morning, but I was doing 3 classes at the gym, step, stretch, and zumba. I hope today's gym class will be easier, hunger-wise. I was not hungry all night long, and I woke up fine. I am used to eating A LOT more. My weight is low enough so that I only get 4 oz of meat for the meal, and 1 scoop of protein for the shake. If I continue to have trouble, I will add an egg to my morning shake.
How about you? Are you measuring?

speedymagee 01-17-2010 08:49 AM

Ugh I measured.
I don't have a yardstick so couldn't do the lying down one, which is unfortunate as I'd like to know my SAT/VAT as in the last year or so all my weight seems to have migrated to my waist. I'm 41 btw.

I was worried about the hunger issue. I guess I'll see how it goes today.

You do 3 classes at the gym a day:eek: You go girl!!

Soobee 01-17-2010 09:20 AM

Not everyday. My gym classes depend on the gym schedule as well as my own. Some days I don't do any classes. Today my class was a tough aerobic/muscle 1 and 1/2 hour one. I was hungry in the beginning. But then, the hunger went away. I had my usual amount of energy, and I was not dizzy. I suppose it's all that good protein and fat. I'm hoping my stomach will shrink. I have a tendency to nibble all day long. I am hoping this 6 weeks will clean up my act. It might be my imagination, but my middle already looks smaller.

Soobee 01-17-2010 06:26 PM

Speedymagee,how are you doing on your first day?

speedymagee 01-17-2010 07:17 PM

Glad to hear your energy is good. I hope mine will be too.

I am a little bit hungry, but it's definitely managable. Honestly I think it's 85% boredom and 15% hunger. Like you, I am a nibbler, so I had a lot more free time today than I have been used to lately! I am off work today and tomorrow so hopefully I'll be "settled in" to the routine by Tuesday.

Soobee 01-18-2010 06:15 AM

My husband lost a pound today. I stayed the same. My orange shake was dleicious, but I was frozen. We're having a big snowstorm here. I had to add salt to my shake, because I was getting light-headed. Salt solved the problem. Hope you find your second day easier.

DaisyGG 01-18-2010 09:00 AM

I don't have the book (off to google a bit). What do we have to do in a nutshell? I'm trying to follow a Primal lifestyle ala Mark's Daily Apple.

I'd like to join.

speedymagee 01-18-2010 09:00 AM

I am glad salt solved the light headedness. I hope today is better for you.

Wow great the your dh lost a pound already! I will only weigh myself weekly, but I feel lighter this morning.:)

speedymagee 01-18-2010 09:03 AM

Hello Daisy!

Well in week 1 and 2 you drink 3 shakes a day and have one low carb meal a day.

According to the book the 1st 2 weeks are about getting fat out of the liver. The 3rd and 4th weeks are 'meat' weeks with very low carbs.

And week 5 and 6...I will have to check the book and get back to you.

speedymagee 01-18-2010 09:05 AM

Is that Mark Sisson? If so, he looks amazing and super fit and healthy.

Soobee 01-18-2010 11:31 AM

I admire people who can wait a week to weigh. I am certain it is a better idea, it's just that I can't do it. I am way too curious.

DaisyGG 01-18-2010 02:27 PM

You should see pics of Mark's wife! They are both in their 50s and look amazing. Their approach is very similar to the Eades; in the long run.

I've been lower carb the last couple of days, but I'm out of protein powder. I'll get some at the club tonight when I go to work out.

Which book is it? The 6-week-cure for middle age one?

:)

<edited to add>

OK, I just ordered the book from half.com. $8 babies! I'll start when I get my protein powder anyway. The book should be here quickly.

speedymagee 01-18-2010 09:41 PM

Yes Daisy that's the book.

I added an egg to my morning shake today, seemed to hold me longer.

Soobee How is the snow storm? I am familiar with them... a little too familiar! We are in the midst of a warm spell at the moment, but I'm sure I'll be shoveling soon enough.

I feel yucky. Not bad exactly...just unusual. Headachey, grumpy. Not hungry though, which is good.

DaisyGG 01-19-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 13011005)
My husband lost a pound today. I stayed the same. My orange shake was dleicious, but I was frozen. We're having a big snowstorm here. I had to add salt to my shake, because I was getting light-headed. Salt solved the problem. Hope you find your second day easier.

Interesting about the salt.

I had a shake last night and just had one this morning. I can tell the sweet may get on my nerves. Ha!

I put coconut oil in mine, but you guys are putting eggs in also? I just had an email that my book shipped. Hurry!

I've been searching on their web site as well for some answers. They need an FAQ! I can't find one.

Soobee 01-19-2010 07:40 AM

I lost another 1/2 pound. My husband stayed the same. But I noticed at Pilates, when I was doing my crunches, that my belly was definitely smaller. I am not using an egg. I eat beef, and fatty meat. The Eades said that people who ate chicken breast without the skin and lean fish might need the eggs for the cholesterol. But I do think an egg is a wonderful nutritional bargain. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it helps you. I am on day 4, and I am just starting to feel more cheerful and energetic. Still not up to par, but getting there.
As for the storm, it is over, with just an inch or so coming down today. I am running around the house in my winter coat, because the shakes make me cold.

speedymagee 01-19-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 13016086)
I am running around the house in my winter coat, because the shakes make me cold.

Today was the first day(and last day!!) I added ice. brrrrrrrrr! The texture is so much better with ice, but I can't take the cold!

I feel a lot less bloated. I am back to work tonight, so putting on the work pants (after being washed) will give me an idea of where I am at. They have been quite tight these past couple of weeks.

Also I have been adding a scoop of Branched chain amino acid powder to each shake to get up to the 12g of leucine. If I don't blend them enough I can taste the bitterness of the powder.

Oh I did a very short kettlebell workout this morning. We'll see how sore I am tomorrow as I haven't worked out in a while.

speedymagee 01-19-2010 11:55 AM

Daisy Forgot to mention the recipe for protein shakes in the 6 week cure is

6 oz cold water
1 packet splenda, stevia, xylitol, or erythritol (optional)
2T heavy cream or premium coconut milk
1-3 scoops low carb whey protein powder (no more than 2-3g of carbs per scoop)
2500mg leucine (in branched chain amino supplement caps or powder)
2500mg D-ribose (optional)
approximately 1 cup of ice cubes

blend

There are several flavouring options in the book for variety.

speedymagee 01-19-2010 12:00 PM

Daisy here is the recipe for the shake from the book

6oz cold water
1 packet splenda, stevia, xylitol, or erythritol (optional)
2T heavy cream or premium coconut mild
1 to 3* scoops of LC protein powder (not more than 2-3 carbs per scoop)
2500mg leucine (in branched chain amino acid powder or caps)
2500mg D-ribose (optional)
approximately 1 cup of ice cubes

blend and drink immediately

*under 130 lbs 1 scoop
131-180 2 scoops
181 and over 3 scoops

You can add an egg if you want too.

speedymagee 01-19-2010 12:01 PM

sorry double post

speedymagee 01-20-2010 09:57 AM

I managed fine at work. Sadly my pants still feel pretty tight.

I felt a bit lightheaded coming up the stairs this morning, so I will add some salt to my shakes today and see if that helps.

Soobee 01-20-2010 04:17 PM

You can leagally add a half of a dill pickle once or twice a day for the salt. I have been adding them to my shakes and also licking some, just to get enough. We both feel much more normal on Day 5. I lost another pound. My husband lost another 1/2. The one meal we get to chew never tasted so good. Tonight we had steak and broccoli with butter. Though I had died and went to heaven.

speedymagee 01-21-2010 04:28 AM

Can't sleep, but don't think it has anything to do with the 6 week cure, have had this problem for awhile. I started taking melatonin a week ago, hope it will help.

dh is down 5 pounds and now neither of us is bothered by hunger.

I have made a few recipes from the book (pork tenderloin roast, broccoli almondine, chicken caesar with homemade caesar dressing) all of them are good. I agree with you Soobee, food is tasting really really good.

I forgot about the dill pickle, but have been salting my meat at meal-time and I seem to be fine.

Soobee 01-21-2010 05:01 AM

5 pounds! That's terrific. We are much slower losers, apparently. But I am very happy with our results so far.

DaisyGG 01-21-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedymagee (Post 13025717)
Can't sleep, but don't think it has anything to do with the 6 week cure, have had this problem for awhile. I started taking melatonin a week ago, hope it will help.

dh is down 5 pounds and now neither of us is bothered by hunger.

I have made a few recipes from the book (pork tenderloin roast, broccoli almondine, chicken caesar with homemade caesar dressing) all of them are good. I agree with you Soobee, food is tasting really really good.

I forgot about the dill pickle, but have been salting my meat at meal-time and I seem to be fine.

I wish my book would hurry!

5HTP is good for sleep too Sandy. Also - I've been checking out Potatoes not Prozac. I tried eating a small potato 3 hours after supper a couple of times last week. It seemed to help, but the dreams were weird!

I have huge sleep issues too. :hugs:

Soobee 01-21-2010 03:01 PM

The 6 Week Cure book suggests melatonin beore bedtime to help with sleeping. Have you tried that?

speedymagee 01-21-2010 08:53 PM

Yes, I mentioned it in my post, have only been taking it a week, so will have to wait and see.