Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #241
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
FlamingHotSauce Mama - Congrats to you!! And I know you will do well.

Eating sunflower seeds all day is not so good from a PolyUnsaturated Fatty Acid standpoing. I know you will get him to turn it around!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Hi Renea....I am thinking about giving the diet a go too. I have been stuck now for a while and need something to shake things up a bit. It seems when I turned 40 my body decided to check out on what always worked for me. I am up about 10pounds from goal.

I am going to spend the next week getting off caffiene. I plan on starting right after vacation on aug 4th. I want to see if it will get me on the right track again.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
What protein powder is the best to use??

Can anyone comment on things that have helped them succeed on this plan??

Have you seen results??

I am just starting the book today.

Last edited by JKat; 07-25-2010 at 02:16 PM..
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
I just finished about half the book and plan to start tomorrow. I have the essentials, but has anyone found a multi-vitamin that covers all the requirements? I stopped taking one (Centrum Heart Healthy) because I kept throwing it up, but I'm willing to try another brand or combination.
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 188/170/125, 5'5"
WOE: Protein Power LifePlan/6WC
Start Date: 2010
You will have to take supplemental minerals, I haven't seen a multi that has enough. We usually use Real Salt, but I pulled the Lite Salt out of the cupboard so that we get enough K. It has just under 400mg for a 1/4 tsp serving.

Protein powders? Mine has stevia sweetener in it. You can get unsweetened and flavor it yourself. I've heard of people using a brand with the word Nectar (can't remember the full name), and it's supposed to be primo. I just went to my local health market and bought some whey that had 1g carb per serving. It's NNW brand. I've been drinking the strawberry, and it's good. My dh likes the chocolate milk flavor. He tried the peanut butter chocolate flavor and says it's not as good, so now I'm mixing his flavors. LOL. I opened a vanilla caramel, and well... I guess I just don't care for vanilla powders. They're better if you add flavorings per the book.

We cut our caffeine in half, but apparently not enough to stave off the caffeine withdrawal headache. I have it bad today! LOL!

We started shakes on Sunday. So today is day 3. My dh had Sun/Mon off, so that worked all right for shakes. Our solution for him for today (I sure hope it worked) was to make a shake last night, put it in a quart canning jar, and freeze it. Then I made sure he had a fresh one for breakfast (before 6am, when he leaves). It's almost 3, and he's sure to be famished when he gets home.

I'll blend him up a shake when he gets here, then we'll have some salmon for dinner. I bought some huge filets yesterday! I love salmon. I bought some grilling planks, so I will use those to cook them. Fresh broccoli... Maybe a small salad with cukes and tomato. Mmmmmm, that sounds delish!

That is one drawback to this, I seem to be thinking about food ALL. THE. TIME. Although I'm no longer nearly in tears when my kids are cooking. LOL! (I have a few teens who like to cook).

The shakes are pretty filling, but you still want FOOD. I try to sip one just before I have to cook. LOL.

[COLOR="Red"]*•♥•*Drop It Like It's Hot!*•♥•*[/COLOR]

Original Start 1/2/06 196 1/2/07 146
Had baby 9/07
Restart 11/07 185

flaminghotsauce mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

On the 28th, I was done with the caffeine withdrawal! Hooray! Only one bad day.

Funny thing happened with my shakes. I have NNW brand shakes, and bought more of the strawberry because I can easily get it down. Well, it ain't strawberry. It's yellow and tastes kind of like a pina colada or something. My dh thought pineapple or banana. And it's chalkier. No number to call the company, no website, so I guess I'll bring it back to the store with the receipt. I *really* like the strawberry, and that's what I want, but I'm afraid that all their strawberry may be mislabeled.

Anyway, we're hanging tough with the shakes. I am hoping it is helping me get used to less food volume. But with ice, it comes out to a 3 cup shake. It's not even been a week, but the shakes are getting a little boring. Not sure about any weight loss or anything, I'm waiting to weigh. My dh weighed, and he is down, but I'm not sure how much until I check my notes.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #247
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
can't wait to hear your results! Hang in there girl!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday was my first day to go completely without caffeine, and now it's been 5 days since I gave up my nightly nightcap (or two). I have lost about 1 1/2 pounds because while I've been giving up caffeine I have started with the shakes (I figured, why not?). But since I fluctuate around two pounds all the time, I don't think that amount is significant, or even counts!

I still have not found a good supplement...I will look harder. Maybe Trader Joes.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Great job on the 1.5#!

That's what I've lost so far on week 1 of the Cure. 1.5#. Not stellar, but I think I'm one of those that does better with higher fat. And I'll take it! 1.5#/week avg. would be all right with me. My husband has dumped 6#.

Oh, the reason I wanted to post... I've been VERY hungry the last 2 days. Today, even shortly after dinner. I've only recently been having 2 shakes, so this evening I had my third (and I still don't feel quite satisfied! UGH!) Add in mood swings... and I have a recipe for danger. It's PMS, and it's not happy. LOL! So it's a hormonal hunger, I have to just keep reminding myself. I haven't gone off plan at all.

We had grilled pork loin with grilled yellow summer squash (fresh picked from the garden) brushed with olive oil and seasoned, and fresh tomatoes (farm stand - my garden tomatoes are still green) *lightly* splashed with balsamic vinegar with avocado. Mmmmm! See? I shouldn't be hungry.

That's my update! We sure are looking forward to meat weeks. LOL!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Still plugging away at the shakes... I am doing well with the strawberry. It's all right. I was a bit hungrier today.

I made a sous vide chuck roast (seasoned with Italian spices), with sauteed garden bell peppers and broccoli on the side. And a small serving of fresh cantaloupe. I will miss the fruit next week, for sure!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Today was day 1 of meat!

B - 2 coffee with VERY SCANT cream, 3 Bacon, 3 eggs
L - BLAT wrap (from the book), then 3 oz of leftover steak since I *know* my protein is low...
D - large grilled chix thigh, 1 long slice grilled yellow squash, .5 C green beans, .5 C salad with EVOO and a glass of white wine

That was 82g protein, BUT I'm not sure I had enough leucine in that amt, so I will have to supplement. It is much easier to gauge leucine intake with the shakes. LOL! I'll have to go look again, I read the ratio, but I can't remember if it's .5g leucine per oz of protein or something else...

The total L-Leucine should be between 8000-12000 per day.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

I ended up starting over, since I was in Seattle when I started and had two days off plan (although I thought I had been pretty good) and gained my 1.5 #'s back. But...since getting home and going back on plan on Thursday, I have lost a whopping 4 pounds!!! I finally feel like I'm on track.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Great job! The quick loss is pretty motivating.

I started sipping on the MPD or whatever they called it in the book. The amino acids don't exactly dissolve well, but most of it seems to have. I was feeling cruddy until I drank one of those. Be sure to get some BCAAs or L-Leucine if you haven't yet.

I've had ribs in the smoker all morning, they smell terrific and look scrumptious. I didn't have enough vacuum bag stuff left to throw it in the sous vide, so the oven will have to do for finishing it.

I really think the shakes were easier in a convenience sense, and ability to track intake, but I didn't lose very quickly. I'm hoping that with the dairy gone, I will lose better. BUT, even if I don't, at least I'm going back in the right direction. I lost 2.5 lbs for the shake weeks. At least I know I didn't lose any muscle!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
At least I know I didn't lose any muscle!
No kidding, all that protein, right?

I will look into getting the other stuff, although I think that I read in the book that if you are using 2 or more scoops of the protein powder in each shake that you are getting enough L-Leucine. I'll have to recheck that.

I definitely agree about the convenience. School starts soon (I'm a teacher) and every day last year I had a shake for breakfast. I'm going to have to think outside the box when it comes to the meat weeks. I haven't read too far into that chapter, since I'm really still just in week one.

Ribs sound yummy! Do you use barbecue sauce? I've experimented with some recipes but haven't found one I really like yet.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

No BBQ sauce for the low carbers. We used to use the Low Cal KC Masterpiece, but that's gone now. I just use a dry rub with lots of spices. I think Kraft makes a low cal/carb BBQ sauce. I just don't even bother with my own.

You'll need the amino acids for your meat weeks. I don't think there is any way to get the amount of L-Leucine we need unless we STUFF meat. LOL!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm...
Meet stuffed with L-Leucine.

Did/do you find that you get bloated easily? As soon as I have my first shake and a glass of water my stomach seems to double and I get that "stuffed" feeling like I've eaten a huge meal.

I guess that's a good thing, so I'm not hungry, but I sure am uncomfortable.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

I put so much ice into mine, it took a long while to finish, so no bloat. At least not that I can recall. LOL! I may continue alternating weeks for a while on this plan since I'm not near maintenance.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Alternating is a good idea. I was thinking about doing three weeks with the shakes and three with the meat. Don't know if I can go all meat for that long, though!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Plugging along on the first meat week. LOts of leftover meat in my fridge, so it's working well. My dh still wants a shake for lunch since he is stuck in his car in mid-90s weather. I had one shake yesterday after exercise, and then lunchmeat (beef) for lunch. Unfortunately, it meant I didn't get enough calories yesterday (1100). Today I'm trying to eat a little more fatty stuff. Wondering how I ever got to 2000 calories when I first lost my weight...

Today I had 2 sausage patties, 2 eggs for breakfast
3 big, meaty ribs for lunch and thinking about a salad now...
Dinner will be pork loin with 1/2 an avocado (I LOVE avocados, wish we could grow them here)

I couldn't do my walk this morning. I used to run, but then got injured over Memorial Day Weekend and haven't run since. I've done some sporadic T-Tapping, but I love being outside with the wind in my hair. So walking it will have to be.

How are you doing lcm?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Also plugging along, still on the shakes. Only lost one pound in the last 3 days--but it's a whole lot better than gaining! I'm at the point where I'm starting to crave things I used to have on the regular low-carb--like sugar-free chocolate, and low-carb bread. But I'm hanging in there, telling myself I'll be able to wear my old clothes in a couple of more weeks.

I've been experimenting with the shakes, making at least one of them into an ice cream-like concoction, and trying different flavorings, just to keep from going nuts with the same old thing.

I haven't exercised in a while either--hurt my knees a couple of weeks ago and I'm a little gun shy. But I need to get back to it, at least yoga, my favorite. I would love to feel the wind in my hair, but exercising outside in Texas right now is completely out of the question!

I'm glad your husband is doing this along with you. I wish I could get my husband to try!

(btw, what is T-Tapping?)
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like you're doing all right!

I didn't exactly *beg* my dh, but close. LOL! We usually try together now. The first time I started dropping weight ('06), he didn't want to be left behind. He's sold on the idea of LC, but doesn't understand the science behind it and doesn't particularly care to put in the time to figure it out. It's frustrating for me sometimes, when he eats stuff that's off plan or wants to know why he shouldn't have a particular something. But we do our best to support each other.

T-Tapp is an exercise program put together by Teresa Tapp. She used to help models get whipped into shape. You can look her up at T-Tapp.com . There is also a T-Tapp group here on LCF.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Still doing well on the plan. Lost 2 lbs last week. Happy Dance!

Tonight's dinner:

Bacon Chicken Recipes - Chicken Main Dish Recipes - Chicken with Bacon Recipes

It was a hit with everybody, even my complaining 6 year old ("It smells funny!"). The bacon seasoned garden beans weren't as popular, but *I* loved them, as did my older children.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Renae--I was just wondering how you were doing!
I am still at 6 pounds lost and at the end of the first two weeks. I'm looking forward to the change--I still love my "ice cream" but I need some variety!

That recipe looks good. I'll definitely have to put it on my menu.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

How are you doing? I lost 6 lbs in the first 4 weeks. Not huge, but I was happy enough. This past week we just did "regular" protein power. I haven't weighed yet, but TOM is coming soon, so I don't expect a loss for this week. Just wondered how things were looking for you.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #265
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
1.25 lbs per week at your weight level is phenomenal!!
larger weight people are 1-3 lbs per week.
lower weight people are LUCKY to lose 1 lb per week
CONGRATS!!!!!
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

I have been wondering about you too. School has started and life has been SO hectic! I'm still holding at 7 pounds which is good but I'm hoping for more. I found going all meat was too difficult with packing lunch (I'm also wearing
braces on my bottom teeth so that makes
The meat thing even more
Difficult--all that chewing!) so I'm back to the shakes.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #267
lavender and lace

Gallery: Violet_Dream
Stats: 193.8/184/135 ~5'9"~
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 11/17/2014
Hello Everyone!

I am re-starting the 6WC today. I've been doing Atkins since 8/10 and have done pretty well. I felt like I needed to do this - did before, but didn't complete two weeks and wanted to do this again.
Violet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Good luck to you Stephanie--the first couple of days are the worse, so get past those and you can do it!

I'm down 2 more pounds, closing in on 10! It's great to finally find something that works.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Good job, LCM!

Stick with it, Stephanie. You can do it. It helps to have a shake flavor you like a lot. I've heard a lot of really good things about Syntrax Nectar. Great flavor and 0 carbs per serving. I would love to try some, but I have to wait on that.

I actually really liked the shake weeks since it was simple, and I am thinking of going with a shake week after Labor Day. Just to mix it up.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #270
T-man

Gallery: whitelighter1968
Stats: 350/242/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/04/06
Is anyone doing the 6 week cure currently?
whitelighter1968 is offline   Reply With Quote