Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: speedymagee
Stats: 188/179
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Atkins for Life: September 21, 2014
I am feeling ok today, being tired makes me crabby, but otherwise feel pretty good.

Dh and I probably have quite a bit more weight to lose than you guys Soobee. I was looking at my mid section in the mirror tonight and it definitely does NOT look like it's shrinking.

One thing I've noticed is (hope this isn't too much info) - I seem to be less phlegmy. Sorry if that's gross. It seems counter intuitive as I am consuming a lot of dairy.
speedymagee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Maybe there is some other food that you are sensitive to. I am not allergic to any foods, but I am sensative to many including dairy. Well, my husband and I both lost another 1/2 pound today. I am very pleased, because I am so close to my lowest (in my wildest dreams) goal. My husband is a very slow loser, and until this diet, didn't lose at all. We were both coming off a low-carb lifestyle to start this diet, so I did't expect the big drops that others have gotten. We were both tired when we stared the diet and for 3-4 days after that, but at day 7, all energy is back. I did all of my weightlifting machines yesterday and 2 gym classes. Are you putting salt in your shakes? Taking the potassium, magnesium, and calcium supplements? I think they might make you less tired. I need a lot of salt, because I drink a lot. I pour it over my one meal, put it in my shakes, and eat it out of hand. As soon as I feel dizzy, I slurp up more salt. That seems to help me. Hang in there. As your body adjusts you will feel better. We are measuring VAT and SAT tonight. I will let you know if there is any improvement after week 1.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Wow Soobee that's fantastic!! Can't wait to hear how the VAT/SAT measurements are going.

I was tired from not sleeping mostly, but had a wonderful, world-class sleep last night. I feel really clear headed this morning.

I am taking the potassium etc, so hope for a boost of energy in a day or so.

I made appointments to donate blood. I used to go regularly until about a year ago, so I'm ok, but DH has never gone. Are you two going to donate?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We finished week 1. I actually gained a 1/2 pound today, so my net loss was 2 pounds. (I didn't sleep well.) My husband also lost 2 pounds. I lost 1 inch SAT, 3/4 inch VAT. He lost 1 1/2 inch SAT, 1 inch VAT. We are both very happy about the fat loss. I know the weight loss is slow, but we are satiisfied. I have been reading comments in another blog about the diet, and some people lose better on the second 2 weeks. I am hoping that is true for my husband, who has quite a bit more wieght to lose than I do.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Wonderful numbers Soobee! If your husband had stalled on LC and now has lost 2lbs, that must feel great. Also I found the VAT numbers really interesting and encouraging as that is the stuff that is so dangerous to carry. Way to go!!

TOM arrived without any warning! Weird. Completely symptomless. I started taking fish oil about a year ago and I'd say after 6 or so months I noticed a major reduction in PMS symptoms. Then I gave up coffee and it got even better.

I quit drinking all sodas January 1st, so I don't know if this wonderful symptomless feeling is due to the 1st week of the 6 Week Cure or no soda?? Either way I'll take it!!

I guess I won't weigh until next week now. I'll measure then as well and give a report.

I am feeling really good this morning. Up early to go for a haircut when usually sleep til 9 or 10 due to working until 11 last night.

Last edited by speedymagee; 01-23-2010 at 06:52 AM..
Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ctviggen
Anyone know the primary purpose of the six week cure? Is it to lose 10 pounds, or can one continue on it to lose, say, 50 pounds? Reading the book, the answer to this question doesn't jump out at me.

I will say that I lost 15 pounds the first two weeks. I weigh in -- officially -- tomorrow for the first of the "meat" weeks. I don't believe I've lost additional weight, although I'm also lifting weights (the slow burn or whatever it's called principle) and doing high intensity interval training, neither of which I was doing the first two weeks. I may have lost weight but gained muscle mass or am retaining water because of the workouts.

Also, is anyone else finding the meat weeks to be harder than the protein/shake weeks? My wife and I really miss the small "dessert" of fruit at the end of the day. If we had that, the meat weeks wouldn't be bad.

Thanks!
ctviggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

I have only finished week 1, so not sure about the meat weeks.

As I understand it the primary purpose of the 6 week cure is to lose the VAT fat around the organs of our mid-sections. Would like to hear what Soobee thinks.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have read a lot of posts on the Protein Power Forum. Some people lose really well the first 2 weeks. A few lose even better on the second 2 weeks. After week 4, if you want to use the Cure as your diet, you need to either extend the meat weeks (3 & 4) or go back to shakes (weeks 1 & 2). I understand 5 & 6 are maintenance. We are dieting to mid April, unless I get too thin (don't I wish). After week 4, we will decide. I am leaning toward 1 week shakes, 2 weeks meat, assuming we can lose on meat.
I went to exercise classes this morning and got to see my new smaller stomach in many mirrors. What a difference! For my stomach to look so much better with only 2 pounds lost, I am truly amazed.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blondie Baby
Stats: 213/126/130
WOE: JUDDD with LC
Hey! Hope its okay if I jump in here! I'm starting next Sunday but just trying to get myself prepared mentally and physically! I can;t get ahold of the book. Not available here and unfortunately if I buy it online, the shipping will cost me triple what the book costs. So I am counting on all of you to keep me filled on what I need to be doing. Speedymagee ( Sandy) has already given me the rundown on the first two weeks. Any advice and help you all can offer is very appreciated.

Just to let you all know - I lost a ton of weight a few years - about 40lbs - and have been struggling to keep it off ever since. I have never gotten down my ideal goal though. My husband is currently in VA for training until the end of April and I am determined to get down to my ideal weight while he is gone! I exercise religiously 5 days a week.

<<<<<Me
Blondie Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Maryam!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:25 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad to have you join us. Do you have the shake recipe?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Well week one is done. I feel fantastic!! Will weigh and measure in one week.

I added a LOT of salt yesterday to shakes and food and extra magnesium and I must have needed it as I feel really energetic today.

Going to do a harder kettlebell workout today and see how it goes.

My sister and nephew are coming to visit about halfway through week 5. It should be fine as my sister is cool about food issues. It is a maintenance week, so I can always go back to a meat week after they leave.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you are feeling better. I think salt would help a lot of people in the first few days. I satyed the same today. Hubby lost 1/2 pound. We're plugging away.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the welcome. I guess I should just plan on doing extra salt since I live in a very hot/humid environment. I'll keep in mind the magnesium, too. Going to GNC Monday to get my supplements so I'll add that to my list. Can you fill me on when and what we are suppose to measure. I'll make myself a flow chart for that too.

Soobee - Thanks. Yes, Sandy already gave me the shake recipe.

Sandy - Glad you're feeling more energetic. I could certainly use some of that!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No change today in weight for either one of us.

Blondie Babie, I only measured SAT (under skin fat) and VAT (wrapped around your organs fat). For SAT, you stand up against a wall heels against the wall, and hold something straight across the widest part of your abdomen parallel to the wall. Measure from the wall to that point in a perpendicular manner. Lowest risk for heat attack is less than 6.5.
For VAT, lie on the floor and to the do the same measurement. The bigger the difference, the more SAT you have, a good thing. VAT is the really dangerous stuff. My husband and I both lost about an inch on each measurement the first week. Even though I am very close to goal weight, my SAT and VAT are too high. Also since I haven't lost anything in 4 discouraging days, watching the measurements go down is very comforting.
Some people also measure waist, hips, bust, arms, thighs. I didn't bother, but I think that would be encouraging also. Some people have lost 2 and 3 sizes in clothes without dropping weight! My husband and I keep saying it's all that muscle we are building.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:20 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have low blood pressure, drink a lot, and exercise a lot. I have been eating salt like it's another food group. It really helps me. If you get dizzy standing up, you need more salt. Otherwise, I don't think you have to worry.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

I'm encouraged to hear about the measurements changing for you and your dh Soobee.

I really hope I have a big change there if my weight doesn't change much. I am trying not to expect much in the weightloss department, so I won't be disappointed or discouraged.

I am going to plan my menus for weeks 3 and 4 as both dh and I get really grossed out/tired of meat in large quantities. Will aim for plenty of fish and eggs.

Feel good today, going to do some lifting with my kettlebells and then have my morning shake.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the advice Soobee. I think I will take ALL the measurements, as it is very encouraging when the scale doesn't move! I'm going to make a flow chart today - my dh says I'm OCD with my charts and lists and general ORGANIZATION obsession. But I find it helps keep me focused and on track.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I stayed the same today, and DH went up a 1/2 pound. It's a good idea about taking the measurements, because otherwise it's too easy to get discouraged. I did 3 classes at the gym yesterday and had ample time to look at my body in the mirror. I am definitely smaller. Way less of a muffin top. If I was going by weight alone, I might not think any progress was being made. Also, I am in the second highest risk group for a heart attack, according to the SAD chart. DH is WAY over the highest risk group, and he has already had a heart attack. So this fight is worth doing, no matter how long it takes.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Felt light headed tonight on standing, so will add even more salt to my last 2 shakes of the day.

I left the cream out on the counter all afternoon (about 5 hours), should be ok, right?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #51
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Hey Speedy & Others:

Sorry to poke my nose in here like this

But I've been sooooo CURIOUS re: the "6 Week Cure"; and I was actually disappointed to read that it's basically just replacing protein shakes for all but one meal per day.

I've read that it's because the Eades REALLY still wish to promote Protein/Good Sat Fats as healthier than Man-Made Carbs (just like in their other book, Protein Power) -- but that since our clueless society is still unable to grasp the fact that Fat doesn't make us Fat -- and that Protein/Good Sat Fats really ARE healthier for us than Man-Made Carbs -- that they're simply trying a different approach (Protein Shakes + 1 Low Carb Meal per day) in hopes that will be "accepted" as healthy in a way that the masses still refuse to accept Protein/Fat over Carbs...

If you're using a good Whey Protein + adding an Egg or 2 or 3 -- at least it's better than doing Slim Fast! But really, not by much

Kinda seems like one could accomplish the same by eating Zero Carb or the Egg Protein Fast or JUDDD And those would at least allow/provide for a better nutritional balance.

I'm NOT judging; we all find our own paths --
But PLEASE be careful with your health; as you know, the dizziness & light-headedness are signals that your body is not getting proper nutrients.

And sometimes that can lead to dangerous health situations (even to something you may not currently be aware of that may rear its ugly head due to lack of proper nutrition); certainly not worth the loss of a few pesky pounds...

Suggestion to supplement with EGGS (the perfect food!)
and/or maybe add some of the following to your shakes:
Plenty of reasons to go bananas over potassium ? and magnesium | Better Nutrition | Find Articles at BNET

Natural sources of Potassium include:
avocados, bananas, citrus fruits, lentils, milk, molasses, nuts, parsnips, potatoes, raisins, canned sardines, fresh spinach, yogurt, and wholegrain cereals.

Natural sources of Magnesium include:
nuts, legumes, wholegrain cereals and breads, soybeans, and seafoods. Magnesium is important in photosynthesis, so vegetables high in chlorophyll (such as dark green vegetables) are good sources.

I'll try to find the "Fawn Shake" for you. It's super healthy with spinach, kale, blueberries, kefir, etc. and of course you can add the Whey PP.

A REALLY GOOD supplement for you to take on a WOE like this is:
Gillam's Natural Calm Plus Calcium Sports Formula
(better than salt! )

Reason being, Calcium NEEDS Magnesium (and vice versa)
Here's a really good description of "why" and "how":
Natural Calm PLUS Calcium | Peter Gillam's Natural Vitality

HTH please, carry on!
again, sorry to intrude; I just care about y'all
XO,
HB

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Please tell me what you are eating for your one meal. I'm still in the planning stage and I like to have everything planned and written down before I start.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Blondie Baby I had a burger patty with cheese and a little ketchup, 6 spears of asparagus with butter, 1/2 c mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and 1/2 c fresh blueberries for lunch

Other meals I've made:

chicken caesar salad with a small apple

chef's salad with 1/2 c of grapes

lemon chicken with 3 baby carrots with butter and a small green salad plus 1/2 cup fruit

I will check the book tomorrow for more ideas. The meals have been delicious and satisfying. I totally get it about planning, will post more for you tomorrow.

Last edited by speedymagee; 01-26-2010 at 09:05 PM..
Old 01-27-2010, 02:21 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blondie Baby, I ate skinless chicken thighs and had buttered broccoli last night. We have had steak, shrimp, hamburger, salmon, and pork chops. I use a variety of low carb vegetables. This week we had broccoli, cauliflower, roasted red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, cabbage, and salad. Any really low carb vegie will do. Also I have had strawberries in 1/2 cup amounts.
Hummingbird11, thank you for your concern. This diet is only 2 weeks of shakes. It's the liver cleansing portion. Weeks 3-4 are all meat and fat with limited protein. The Eades have an excellent reputation for scientifically based diets. That's why I am trying their plan. Please do not give me any information on another plan, because I am currently involved in this one. Although my weight loss is slow, I feel I am heading in the right direction.
Speedymagee, I know the salt will help. Believe it or not, am putting 8 shakes of salt into each of my shakes, and drowning my meal in it. On heavy exercise days, I eat some out of hand. I realized that I had often eaten pumpkin seeds or other salty snacks in the past. When I eliminated these foods, I eliminated a lot of salt. We are both starting to feel normal on this regimen. My husband has not been able to eat his last shake in the last few evenings. I have been able to eat everything, trooper that I am.
By the way, my husband stayed the same, and I lost (finally) 1/2 pound.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for info everyone! It's very helpful. Iam sure I can manage. Soobee, since you don't me - I'm muslim and I don't eat pork and also I live in the Middle where things like blueberries are next to impossible to get! However, I did find some sea salt at the GNC so that's a plus!!! I am looking forward to getting started. Will spend the weekend planning my meals and doing my measurement chart.

Soobee - CONGRATS on the loss!!! But even better, I think, is the fact you are starting feel normal!!!!

Sandy - Thanks again for posting those meal ideas.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blondie Baby, good luck on the start of your program.
Speedymagee, how are you feeling? Did the salt cure your light-headedness? I must say that I can't taste the salt in my shakes, so that has been an easy way for me to get salt.
I dropped another pound today, but husband stayed the same. My weight is lower than it's been in 3 years. After 1 week at the same weight, this loss is wonderful.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Wow Soobee another pound! Yay!! I am really excited to weigh and measure on Sunday morning. I feel slimmer this morning, can see some shrinkage in my belly.

I had the beginning of a leg cramp in the night last night and I have been taking the reccomended amount of potassium/magnesium. I am going to bump it up today, will also add salt to all my shakes too. I stopped adding salt when my light headedness went away, but I guess I need it.

I feel good. I feel, don't know how to explain this, but even. As in my mood in general. Steady, calm, and well, even. It must be a blood sugar thing.

Soobee you mentioned waist size and risk factors for heart attack. Is that info in the book? If not, could you tell me where to look for that info. I think it's brave your dh is doing LC after a heart attack. From what I've read it is the best way to go, but there is so much mis information out there and so many people (even some doctors) have the wrong idea about LC, it can be daunting.

Monday we donate blood. DH is going begrudgingly, but he is going, so that's good. He's worried they will call him all the time to come in. They call me because I'm a universal donor (O-), but he's A+ so I think he's safe.

Maryam What kind of LC fruits can you get?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Speedymagee, we can't give blood. We were in Cambodia on a cruise, so we are barred for 1 year. I'm glad that you can, because I think it's the healthiest thing. Giving blood regularly lessens the risk of a heart attack. They think it's because of the iron loss. The chart you are looking for is in the appendix, Table 6, pg 286.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
I can't give blood either - got a tat back in June. It's too bad because I'm B-.

I've started my first day today (after reading the book last night). Struggling with the hungries and trying to decide what to have for dinner. I think left over chicken breasts, salad, and some sort of vegi.

I didn't give up coffee though. I don't want to! Do you guys think it absolutely necessary? I drink one large mug with stevia and cream every morning.

I go to Vegas in five weeks with my girlfriends and want to be a little smaller! Arg!
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Is your coffee decaf? Then it's legal. You will definitely be smaller in 5 weeks if you can stick to the plan. If you are hungry, either increase the protein powder in your shake or add an egg. I read a long thread (61 pages) from a group of people who tried this diet earlier. And many said that the egg cured their hunger. I usually just add a little more protein powder if I am really hungry that day. My weight is low enough so I don't get much food. I look jealously at my husband's portions.