Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   protein shakes??? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/654376-protein-shakes.html)

spryng 01-02-2010 03:33 PM

protein shakes???

My book should be here monday with all the correct info but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make one of the shakes I hear so much about? I bought some chocolate whey protein powder tonight and would love to use it tomorrow, I also got some heavy cream etc, I wasn't sure what all went in it.. so anyway, thanks in advance!!

maile 01-02-2010 05:40 PM

2 scoops of protein powder, 1 tbsp of HWC (or coconut milk), ice cubes/crushed ice, 1 tsp of leucine powder (I add it in at the end, blends better), water....put in blender until mixed (about 20 seconds)

this is the basic shake, you can fix it up a bit by using either unsweetened chocolate or vanilla Almond Breeze (instead of water) and/or you can add up to about 1/2 c of lc berries.

some things to add that don't seem to impede weight loss: extracts (vanilla, peach, strawberry), davinci syrups (depending on your sensitivity to splenda)

HTH!:)

spryng 01-03-2010 06:15 AM

are they sweet or will they need something like splenda in them? Also what is Leucine powder I don't have that.. I was thinking one scoop of protein powder, 1 raw egg, 2 tbls of hwc, and ice/water to blend it together.. would that be gross??

jamistar77 01-03-2010 06:33 AM

Spryng, I love making shakes.
1/2 cup daisy 4% cottage cheese 3 carbs
2 scoop chocolate protein power, mine is 3 carb
8 oz chocolate unsweetened almond breeze 3 carbs
egg
1T hwc
Davinci SF white chocolate syrup
blend 30 seconds,
add 1 cup ice
blend for another 30 seconds

1 oz cream cheese
8oz vanilla unsweetened almond breeze
splash hwc 1T flax seed
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2T waldens farm sugar free strawberry spread
davinci sf vanilla syrup
ice
blend

spryng 01-03-2010 07:24 AM

those sound great! I'm guessing almond breeze is a liquid like milk? do you find it in the dairy section of the store??

principessa54 01-03-2010 07:28 AM

Spryng, Almond Breeze is a brand name for Almond Milk. There are different brands but that brand has an unsweetended chocolate flavour that is great. The lecuine is a supplement. Your brand of protein powder probably has some in it. Most do. Look on the ingredients. The 6WC lists 2500mg to be added. My protein powder has that amount in it so I don't add anything. HTH.

jamistar77 01-03-2010 07:35 AM

Spryng, I use unsweetened Almond Milk or unsweetened vanilla soymilk, Slender Soy and Westsoy are pretty low on the carb counts, some brands are as high as 10 or 15 so make sure to check label. :)

maile 01-03-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spryng (Post 12934968)
are they sweet or will they need something like splenda in them? Also what is Leucine powder I don't have that.. I was thinking one scoop of protein powder, 1 raw egg, 2 tbls of hwc, and ice/water to blend it together.. would that be gross??

If you are doing the 6 Week Cure then you do need 2 scoops of protein powder, and I forgot to put you can add up to a tsp of sweetner (splenda etc)

the ranges for the 6WC for protein powder are:
under 130 1 scoop
130-180 2 scoops
over 180 3 scoops

also in the book are a few suggestions on how to change up the flavours of the shakes

if you aren't doing the 6WC then you can add whatever you want to the shakes :)

spryng 01-03-2010 10:21 AM

thanks so much all!

No I'm not doing the 6wc I just started the protein power lifeplan today but the shakes sounded right up my alley because I'm huge on easy meals like bars etc but with this plan I don't want to buy premade bars, I want to go a bit more natural so I bought the whey protein powder to make my own shakes. I just had one for lunch with two scoops of powder, 2 tblsp of hwc and ice and a little water, it's nice and thick and has a really good flavor all on it's own.. I think next time I may add an egg to it and maybe a couple drops of vanilla extract or splenda just to make it a tad bit sweeter but all in all it's a hit and I'll be using them more as meal replacements while I work since I really don't have much time to make meals etc..

principessa54 01-03-2010 06:18 PM

Spryng, that is exactly how I use the shakes. I whip up two in the morning and take them to the office and put them in the fridge. Its just easier to drink a shake at my desk than eat something. Then I can go for a walk outside for my official lunch hour. :D

jamistar77 01-03-2010 07:12 PM

Low Carb Friends - Search Results

Here is a great thread with wonderful shake recipes. It hasnt been bumped since beginning of December.

jamistar77 01-03-2010 07:12 PM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...american+shake

Oops, I meant, Here is the Shake thread! LOL

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 01-10-2010 05:15 AM

In case this may be of interest to anyone, I just bought a new flavor that I'm enjoying:

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Caramel Toffee Fudge

Yummy!

jamistar77 01-10-2010 05:16 AM

Twyla, That sound wonderful! I have heard a lot of people really like it.

jenponders 12-14-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamistar77 (Post 12935024)
Spryng, I love making shakes.
1/2 cup daisy 4% cottage cheese 3 carbs
2 scoop chocolate protein power, mine is 3 carb
8 oz chocolate unsweetened almond breeze 3 carbs
egg
1T hwc
Davinci SF white chocolate syrup
blend 30 seconds,
add 1 cup ice
blend for another 30 seconds

1 oz cream cheese
8oz vanilla unsweetened almond breeze
splash hwc 1T flax seed
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2T waldens farm sugar free strawberry spread
davinci sf vanilla syrup
ice
blend

wow! these look awesome! I'm going to try these on the weekend...

pumba1975 04-02-2011 11:48 AM

i just mix my protein powder with cold water shake and gulp down

Sibylle 04-07-2011 10:44 AM

I also use Optimum Whey Protein Powder. Cookies and Cream & Rocky Road are my favorite flavors. I take 2 scoops of the powder, about 2 cups of ice cold water, 1 oz. cream cheeese, 10 - 12 ice cubes and 1 tsp. Guar Gum or Xanthan Gum (thickener agent) and mix all of it at high speed in the elcetric mixer. The result is something like soft ice cream. I then put the mixture into the freezer for about 5-10 minutes in order to harden it. I find it delicious and very filling and nice to have when the weather is warm.

Sibylle

MINTYSHAKE 01-05-2012 03:12 PM

Do you guys add Splenda to the Optimum Whey? I just got some :)

grinogirl 10-25-2012 06:33 AM

protein vs soy

I am looking to use shakes to replace one meal a day. i am trying to lose weight. can someone tell me which would be better, protein or soy shakes ? i'm looking to head out today to buy some.

watcher513 10-27-2012 12:39 AM

I'd say whey, but that's for me and I'm hypothyroid and need to avoid soy. I've heard some people say the soy doesn't taste as good as the others also.

grinogirl 10-27-2012 09:11 AM

Thanks for the reply Terry !

Sweetpea 10-29-2012 09:41 AM

If you have and Iphone or Ipad you can download the Diet Shakes and just use whatever protein powder you want.. Has tons of recipes...

Port_louis 10-31-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grinogirl (Post 16036972)
I am looking to use shakes to replace one meal a day. i am trying to lose weight. can someone tell me which would be better, protein or soy shakes ? i'm looking to head out today to buy some.

I read that the protein in whey is more easily utilised by muscles.

RDeschain927 11-09-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grinogirl (Post 16036972)

late reply but if you're not lactose intolerant I would consider casein.

Muffin1012 01-08-2013 12:14 PM

I use Unjury Protein powder and I love it. I've been doing induction for weeks with minimal results. I realized that I wasn't getting enough protein because of my wls. I started using my Unjury along with my induction foods and the first day I lost 3lbs. Since last week its been 1lb per day every day. I have 3-4 shakes a day which gives me 3 carbs and 20 grams of protein per shake. I'm happy and full all the time!

99fenix 05-12-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Port_louis (Post 16049464)
I read that the protein in whey is more easily utilised by muscles.

yep. whey protein is broken down very fast. casein breaks down very slowly. protein in food such as chicken is a slow absorber, just like casein.

On a side note, what kind of protein is being used? I'm new to this and lift a lot. I've heard that you shouldn't use protein shakes do to the fact it has a lot of protein (my gold standard is 24g of protein), so two scoops at 48gs seems like it would be against what I have read for protein. I see people add a bunch of fat to it, but I can't imaging you can make up the difference? Sorry for the noobess. I miss my shakes lol.

Port_louis 06-05-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99fenix (Post 16421753)
yep. whey protein is broken down very fast. casein breaks down very slowly. protein in food such as chicken is a slow absorber, just like casein.

On a side note, what kind of protein is being used? I'm new to this and lift a lot. I've heard that you shouldn't use protein shakes do to the fact it has a lot of protein (my gold standard is 24g of protein), so two scoops at 48gs seems like it would be against what I have read for protein. I see people add a bunch of fat to it, but I can't imaging you can make up the difference? Sorry for the noobess. I miss my shakes lol.

Some people add a spoon of peanut butter to make the shake creamier and crushed ice to make it thicker. Personally I am too lazy to do that lol. You should be getting 20g and up if the protein powder is good quality. Not sure why you think it is bad :)