Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Hoppinn
Stats: 236/139/140
WOE: CALP & Exercise
Start Date: March 3, 2008
Carbohydrate Addict's 2010 Hangout

Here is the information needed to successfully and happily lose those unwanted pounds.

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet and The Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program, CAD/CALP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! Welcome to the thread for the Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet & LifeSpan Programs!

There are many of us here at LCF who have found ongoing success with the CAD/CALP diets. This is the place to get to know us and hopefully JOIN US! The people here are wonderful and supportive. We love to answer questions and cheer you on!

If you are interested in this way of eating, I highly recommend getting the book and reading it thoroughly. I will explain how the diet works, but you really need to go straight to the source. They certainly explain much better than me!

This diet works because it controls your insulin release, which is related to how you store and use body fat. (See the book for all the scientific references!) You are allowed only three meals and one optional snack on CAD/CALP. This is how the insulin releases are controlled. Two of the meals are called “Complementary Meals” (CM’s) and the third is called a “Reward Meal” (RM.) There is no calorie counting, no carbohydrate counting… it is a very simple diet so none of that is necessary. If you follow the rules, everything falls into place.

CM’s are essentially very low carb meals. You divide your plate in half, and ½ your meal is protein, and the other ½ is low carb vegtables. Simple. There is a specific list of veggies to choose from called “crave–reducing” choices. The list is pretty extensive, but it does not include all low carb veggies. You are allowed to eat from this list, and that is all. If it’s not on the list, you don’t eat it. (But rest assured, there’s so much to choose from you won’t feel restricted.) It’s easy and flexible, it just needs to be balanced, protein & veggie. The optional snack is the same as the CM, just smaller.

A RM is a flexible meal you can have for your choice of breakfast, lunch or dinner. This makes it easy to plan for events like restaurant meals or parties. For the RM you begin your meal with a salad, then you divide your plate into thirds. 1/3 is protein, 1/3 is low carb veggie, and that last 1/3 is ANYTHING YOU WANT. If it fits in that 1/3 balance, you can have it. Potato, bread, cake, cookies, candy, pasta, rice, whatever carbohydrate you feel like having.

This does not give you free license to pig out on carbs, your meals must be BALANCED. If you want more carbohydrates, you must also take the same portions of protein and vegetables too.

One more catch: The RM must be completed within a one hour time limit. This has everything to do with controlling the insulin release and it is very important. You are not allowed to snack (aside from the optional complementary snack.) You eat three to four times a day, and that’s it. Believe it or not, this will not be a problem. Your meals should carry you easily to the next meal. It’s all about that insulin control.

Many people have the misconception that the RM is a 1-hour pig out all you can eat junk-a-thon. IT IS NOT. People also think that if they even have one taste of sugar they will binge into oblivion. THIS IS NOT TRUE. If you are true to the diet and stick to the 1/3 portion of carbohydrates, you will be just fine. You will be pleasantly surprised that the single slice of pie is enough, and you’re okay not going back for more and more like in the old days!

Overall this is a very flexible diet that fits well into the real world. The people here all have their own ways of making the diet work for them. Look at their losses! This WOE works wonders. (On your psyche, too! No deprivation!)

This thread is where all of us CAD/CALP followers hang out. Hopefully they will all come in and introduce themselves soon, tell you what works for them, how long they’ve been at it and how much they have lost.

LURKERS, PLEASE JOIN US! DON’T BE SHY!

Last edited by Hoppinn; 01-02-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Hoppinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

I already posted my menu and exercises on the old thread but since this is the new one for 2010, I will go ahead and post my menu again!

Friday, 1.01.10
Menu
CM: 2 cups of black coffee
CM: Pork chop and cucumber
RM: Salad of romaine w/ranch, prime rib w/au jus, celery, and chocolate chip cookies

Water
80 oz.

Option #1
None

Option #2
Callanetics, 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours!
I completed 1 hour!
Total: 23 hours!

and

Leslie Sansone, Walk at Home, Walk Slim, Fast & Firm! 4 Really Big Miles w/toning band.
Mile 1: Get Started with a 15 minute mile
Mile 2: Faster pace - a 12 minute mile
Mile 3: BOOSTED walking - a 10 minute mile
Mile 4: Add the firm Band for a big muscle BOOST - 15 minute mile
I completed all 4 miles with the firm band!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I hope everyone is doing well!

My daughter returned home safely last night so I will be able to resume my GTF Chromium today as soon as I get it out of the car.

I had to go to town yesterday to run some errands. My son and I had an appointment and since I had an extra forty minutes to fill before he got off work, I stopped at a thrift store. I made the decision to shop at thrift stores because I do not like spending money on clothes that I intend on wearing for a short time.

The size 12P jeans that I have been wearing are getting too loose on me and I was excited to shop for a size 10P. I ended up buying three pair of jeans for $7.34 which included tax. Two brands that I bought were a size 12P and one brand was a 10P. I know of four thrift stores in our small town so the next time I am there, I will stop at a few more.

While I was out yesterday I actually saw someone that I have been acquainted with for the last ten years but have not seen in at least two. She was busy visiting with someone else so I did not say anything to her as I was passing by. When she looked at me, there was absolutely no recognition in her eyes.

Saturday, 1.02.10
Menu
CM: Prime rib and cucumber
RM: Salad of romaine w/ranch, chile verde burrito, celery, and a dark chocolate almond cluster

Water
80 oz.

Option #1
None

Option #2
Bowflex
20 Minute Better Body Workout & Chest Fly
2 sets of 15 reps each
120# Leg Extension
120# Bench Press
080# Chest Fly
120# Crossover Rear Deltoid Rows
120# Biceps Curl
120# Standing Low Back Extension
120# Seated Lat Rows
120# Triceps Pushdown
150# Seated Abdominal Crunch
Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crystaldaydream
Stats: 475/320/145
WOE: CAD/with RAW overtones
Start Date: Began CAD 11/18/09
Howdy, All!

What a triumph, Teri, to be able to shop in thrift stores and find size 10's! And all for such a fabulous price! That is a day I would long for! It will be a few years for me, yet! But, I am inspired by your posts, especially all of your exercising! I have to start very small, and I am doing so. But, I do hope to be able at some point to have the strength so that joining a gym would be worth my while! Right now, that is just laughable! But, someday!

I am laying low today, for I have been doing too much in the last few days, and I am exhausted. I was really stressed out yesterday, due to circumstances, and my BG soared by noon and I had not eaten a thing so far in the day! I wasn't sure about it, but I do think that stress can cause that to happen. It is very frustrating! So, today, I am in recovery mode!

I hope everyone finds the new page! Great job, Teri, for posting this new thread for all of us! Thank you so much!

Have a good one!

Connie
My BG range: 150-225 (Working on it!)
Diagnosed: 8/08
Meds: Metformin, only when I need it, can't tolerate it daily as perscribed.
Supplements: I use many, chasing the dream of health!
Highest WT: 475, currently 320 & making slow progress!
Searching for a solution that works for ME!
crystaldaydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Confetti
Stats: 5'9", 43 years ~~314/goal is to be under 200!
WOE: controlled carb
Start Date: March 2007
Hello all, and thanks, Teri, for the new hang-out!

I hope you all had a great weekend and I hope this new year is a great one for us all!

Connie, hang in there! One day at a time, right?

I am sauteeing some chicken chunks right now for my CM -- I will be having a chef salad as soon as it's cooked (can't wait -- I'm hungry!)

I've been busy today, tidying the house, and trying to organize some paper work.
Confetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning, Everyone!

Oh, I do hope that more will be joining us now that the flurry of activities of the holidays are over! I feel like today is a first day all over again for me! Yesterday, I got myself out of control! My DH decided to bake something last night, and we were otherwise clearly done eating for the day, but when something goes into the oven, and smells up the house on a cold winter's night, it is very hard to just stand by and watch someone else indulge in the goodies and not give in to partaking. I know that in the "Rescue" book there was a saying of: "If it is to be, it is up to me!" and I was thinking about that the whole time I was swallowing no-no's and kicking myself for being so weak. But, for some reason, my BG today is doing OK. The scale says otherwise, but I don't want to talk about that! LOL!

So, this morning, I am pulling up my boot straps and taking hold of my courage, and plowing forward. Stephanie, your chef salad is sounding good! I guess I will go with green beans for my luncheon veggie, and some ham and cheese roll-ups to go with it. Dinner is yet too far away, so don't know what is on the menu. We have some hamburger on hand, and not much else. When the cupboards are bare, it seems to be harder, for some reason.

I was just reading an article yesterday about the differences to our health when we choose to eat grassfed beef, rather than grain fed beef, and I am thinking it is time to start finding a local store that makes these sorts of offerings. I realize that it is not just about eating according to our program, but also choosing the best foods that we can afford so that we tend to our health needs as well! I think it is time to bite the organic button, so to speak, and pay more attention to our shopping habits and get used to paying a bit more for better quality foods. I think that even the Hellers mentioned something about that, looking for foods without certain additives as much as possible. I already try very hard to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup, and MSG. (sigh...) It is a project these days to just try to eat healthy!

Well, I am off to get some things done around here that need my attention. I hope you all have a handle on your eating day! I wish you much pleasure at your RM today!

Happy Eating;
Connie
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldaydream View Post
Howdy, All!

What a triumph, Teri, to be able to shop in thrift stores and find size 10's! And all for such a fabulous price! That is a day I would long for! It will be a few years for me, yet! But, I am inspired by your posts, especially all of your exercising! I have to start very small, and I am doing so. But, I do hope to be able at some point to have the strength so that joining a gym would be worth my while! Right now, that is just laughable! But, someday!

I am laying low today, for I have been doing too much in the last few days, and I am exhausted. I was really stressed out yesterday, due to circumstances, and my BG soared by noon and I had not eaten a thing so far in the day! I wasn't sure about it, but I do think that stress can cause that to happen. It is very frustrating! So, today, I am in recovery mode!

I hope everyone finds the new page! Great job, Teri, for posting this new thread for all of us! Thank you so much!

Have a good one!

Connie
When I began exercising, I was so out of shape that I had no choice but to take it slow. I heard about WATP through the forums I had been frequenting and since I knew I could walk, I bought myself a couple of dvd's. It took me an entire month to work my way up to 3 miles, but once I reached it I was not going to do any less.

In order to get myself into better shape, I had no choice but to include exercise into my lifestyle change. I am not always anxious to get started but the results are extraordinary and I must continue!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I did a horrible job of following CALP yesterday.

I was heading out of town so I packed myself a lunch that included leftover prime rib and a cucumber. When I got ready to eat, I discovered my cucumber was too soft for me to eat. I ended up throwing it away so I did not have a vegetable with my CM.

It was late when I returned home so I decided to make myself an easy, convenient dinner. I ended up making dark chocolate almond clusters the night before so when I got into the refrigerator to get my salad makings, I grabbed the cookie sheet so I could put them away into a container. I proceeded to make my salad and when I was finished, I didn't even think about adding a carbohydrate to my meal.

I know that my worst day of following the program could have been much worse since I forgot to include things instead of including things I was not supposed to have!

Sunday, 1.03.10
Menu
CM: Prime rib
RM: Salad of romaine w/bacon, cheddar cheese, sauteed shrimp, & ranch

Water
80 oz.

Option #1
GTF Chromium

Option #2
Day Off!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
I'm here! Down to 290. I'm going for under 200 this year. Getting off my meds, too.

Today's food:
Coffee
Tuna salad
veggies w/ dip
2 pieces pizza & 3 pieces chocolate
BrandNewMe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Andrea78
WOE: low carb
Hello

Mind if I hang out with you all this year? I decided to go back to CAD and stick with it this time. I had success with it in the past, and I should never have stopped it!

I'm married with an energetic 2 year old though, and a 9 year old son plus a part time job so my time will be limited to post but I will try as much as I can!

Great to see other CAD/CALPers here.....
Andrea78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Howdy, Everyone!

I just got done ordering my supplements! What a big job that is! I take a bunch of stuff, much of it related to my many health issues due to diabetes. So many claim that they can lower BG. I am always researching for the latest finds as to what might work to combat this disease. I don't know how the time flies by so fast! But, I have spent the better part of 2 hours just on this project/chore alone!

Welcome, Andrea! I'm glad to hear that CAD has worked for you in the past and you are here to begin again! This is a good place to be! The more the merrier and also, we learn from each other in our collective experiences! I also did this program many years ago, when they were featured on Oprah. I, too, wonder why in the world I quit! I just finished reading their latest book on their 7 Day Rescue Plan, and after doing so, I now know why and how I fell off the wagon! So glad to be back, tho! The more I do this woe, the more in love with it I am.

Melissa, so glad to see you posting! I like your resolve! You can do it! I was trying to take my meds again in the past month, and didn't realize that the side effects were as nasty as I remembered them to be! They were what was causing my uncomfortable irrregular heart beat!! I have finally gotten it thru my head that the meds can kill you!!! Anyway, I am kicking them to the curb once more, and I am going to rely on diet, exercise and natural supplements from now on! If they find a real cure, then I am all ears! Recently I saw a site on the web claiming some mysterious cure for diabetes! When I did some digging, I discovered that they were referring to lap band surgery! Supposedly, when you have bariatric surgery, diabetes goes away! What a price to pay! I know many people who have done the bypass surgery, and there is a dark side to that, and I am just too chicken to get it done!

Teri, I am very interested to know what if anything were the effects of your "bad" day by not eating your CM veggie and then forgetting to eat your reward??? Do tell!

Well, I also messed up last night! The meal lasted over the hour period, mostly due to poor planning. My FBG was up this morning. I tell you, it is just more proof to me that the Heller's program is so spot on! As both Teri and Stephanie have said, follow the plan to a T and it will work! I believe it!

May your day go well and your food be delicious!

Happy Eating;
Connie
Old 01-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Connie, I just finished reading your post about grass fed beef. The reason I messed up my eating the other day was because I went to my ranch to pick up a couple of steers. My dad wanted me to bring them to my house so we could begin to grain one of them. They were raised on an irrigated pasture so they are definitely grass fed. I would love to try grass fed beef but my dad paid for them and wants me to grain the one that we are going to butcher. I will be picking up a couple of young steers to put on the pasture so maybe I will be able to talk him into trying it the next time.

Other than my unhappiness of my cucumber being bad, I had no problems with neglecting to include it in my CM. Forgetting to include a carbohydrate in my RM was much more of a problem because I would have loved to eat enough last night to make up for it.

Di, I hope your son had a wonderful birthday and congratulations on not giving in to the temptation of cake.

Andrea, welcome! I have found that the support of others can be very helpful. I hope you will become a regular poster and pop in here whenever you have the time.

Tuesday, 1.05.10
Menu
CM: Pork chop and green beans w/vinaigrette
RM: Salad of romaine w/ranch, chicken marsala w/mushrooms, celery, and dark chocolate almond clusters

Water
80 oz.

Option #1
GTF Chromium

Option #2
Callanetics, 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours!
I completed 1 hour!
2009: 23 hours
2010: 2 hours
January goal: 13 hours

and

Leslie Sansone Walk at Home
3 Mile Weight Loss Walk...A "Power Walk" at Home!
Mile 1: 15 minutes of non-stop muscle moving steps to get you started
Mile 2: 12 minutes of speed walking
Mile 3: 15 minutes to continue blasting calories as you burn body fat
I completed all 3 miles!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Anyone following this thread will notice that I eat green beans for lunch frequently. I do not like them by themselves and prefer them with vinaigrette dressing drizzled over the top of them. Many years ago I found a great vinaigrette dressing that I liked but since I use it so often, I do not like paying the price.

I found a great vinaigrette recipe that I have been using for the past week or so. It is delicious on a salad as well as a drained can of green beans. I am sure it can be used for other things so I would like to share the recipe with those that may be interested.

I was asked for my dark chocolate almond cluster recipe recently and my husband added it as well.

Both recipes can be found by clicking on the link under my signature!

Tuesday, 1.05.10
Menu
CM: Bacon and green beans w/vinaigrette
RM: Salad of romaine w/ranch, chicken enchiladas, celery, and a dark chocolate almond cluster

Water
80 oz.

Option #1
GTF Chromium

Option #2
Bowflex, 20 Minute Better Body Workout & Chest Fly, 2 sets
120# Bench Press
120# Seated Lat Rows
080# Chest Fly
120# Biceps Curl
120# Triceps Pushdown
120# Leg Extension

Last edited by Hoppinn; 01-06-2010 at 01:30 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
Putting my DD on CAD. She's 9, will be 10 Feb 15th. She's mostly there with her current eating, but I'd prefer to see something a little less willy-nilly to hopefully help her w/ the PMS she's already experiencing. She's just a tad overweight, but as she'll be doing a lot of growing in the next few years, I don't want to see her lose a lot. I'd prefer maintaining. I'm going at this, and her, as 'healthy' eating, not 'dieting'. So, she and I will be doing this together. For my son & my husband, I'll just try to keep the less than healthy stuff to a dull roar. My son is a stick and I'd like to keep him that way. Hubby could stand to lose a few stone, but good luck getting him to care enough to do something about it. LOL Just kidding. He'll get what the rest of us are getting. So, as long as I'm cooking, darnit, the family will be getting healthy, LC, CAD meals.
http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com/
"I can have results or I can have excuses. I can not have both."
BrandNewMe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all -- happy Friday!! It's a winter wonderland here --- windy, snowy, COLD, etc.

Yesterday's meals were: CM~ some Swiss cheese, a hard-boiled egg, and several stocks of celery. RM~ a big bowl of ham/lentil soup, some provolone cheese, and 2 cups of hot tea (sugar and 1/2 and 1/2). I didn't walk today -- I was too lazy to leave the warm house!

Hope you all are doing well, and have a great weekend!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I had some running around to do yesterday in town so I stopped at the library. I have been using Callanetics for almost a month now and since I want to get the most out of it, I checked out a couple of books on the subject. It seems whenever I have something to read, I neglect everything else.

My husband will be celebrating his 50th birthday tomorrow so I will be making him a German chocolate cake w/coconut pecan frosting either today or tomorrow. I will be making it from scratch instead of using a cake mix, which should be interesting.

I ended up grabbing the milk chocolate chips last night instead of the dark chocolate so I will be eating milk chocolate almond clusters until they are gone. My daughter prefers the dark chocolate almond clusters so I do not expect the milk chocolate to disappear as fast as the dark chocolate ones do.

I continue to keep up with my new lifestyle change which includes following my eating plan and getting my exercises done!

Thursday, 1.07.10
Menu
RM: Salad of romaine w/ranch, chicken marsala w/mushrooms, celery, and milk chocolate almond clusters

Water
80 oz.

Option #1
GTF Chromium

Option #2
Bowflex, 20 Minute Better Body Workout & Chest Fly, 2 sets
120# Bench Press
120# Seated Lat Rows
080# Chest Fly
120# Biceps Curl
120# Triceps Pushdown
120# Leg Extension
Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone -- happy Monday!

I am in the process of boiling a dozen of eggs for CMs this week. They make a nice, clean CM, and can be used in a variety of ways (in salads, egg salad, or as is ).

I walked 45 minutes this morning, and I have intentions of trying an exercise DVD (that I bought for a buck at the Dollar Tree), if I can figure out how to get the PS2 to play it?!

I'm making stuffed chicken for supper tonight.

OK, I've got plenty of things to do, so off to it!! Be back later....stay on your plans -- being in control feels good!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Just taking a break.....I had a small chef salad (mixed greens, chicken, hard-boiled eggs, some cheese, oil/vinegar/s/p), but I didnt' eat it all. I didn't feel 100% at the time. Feeling OK now.

I am about ready to put the chicken in the oven.

Remember to eat SLOWLY, breathe while you eat, and take it one day at a time!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Stephanie, I am happy you felt better after your lunch. Getting sick and/or not feeling well is not fun!

Sunday, 1.10.10

Menu
CM: Salad of romaine w/bacon, celery, cheddar cheese, sauteed shrimp, & ranch
RM: Salad of romaine w/ranch, hot link on bun w/American cheese & mustard, and a milk chocolate almond cluster

Water
80 oz.

Option #1
GTF Chromium

Option #2
Bowflex
2 sets of 15 reps
120# Bench Press
120# Seated Lat Rows
100# Chest Fly
120# Biceps Curl
120# Triceps Pushdown
120# Leg Extension

I increased the weight on my Chest Fly to 50 lbs. in each hand but it was so hard to get done that I am not sure if I will be able to keep up with that weight!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
Hi all I know that I have come back a couple times but I just found out I'm pregnant and this is the only way I can keep myself from gaining weight! It worked so well with my last little one. I don't know why I ever stop the WOE because it works best for me!
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Amber-Nicole,

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome back!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: wifey
Stats: goal is size 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppinn View Post
Amber-Nicole,

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome back!
Thank you! I'm going to start tomorrow because I need to go shopping tonight. Here is my menu for tomorrow:

Breakfast: 2 bacon deviled eggs
Tea

Lunch: Tuna salad over lettuce

Snack: string cheese
sugar free Jello

Dinner: Baked Chicken
Salad with ranch
brown rice
sautéed broccoli
Prenatal vitamin and folic acid

I'm only having a snack because of the baby, when it's born I probably will stop.

Last edited by wifey; 01-11-2010 at 02:21 PM..
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confetti View Post
Remember to eat SLOWLY, breathe while you eat, and take it one day at a time!
I need to remind myself of this always. My DH tells me I eat too fast and I know he's right!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VanillaSpice
Stats: 5'5" Small Frame. 140/135/Goal 120
WOE: LC, natural foods, no dairy
Start Date: July 2009
Hi Everyone

I did CAD many years ago but my bingeing was really out of control at the time and I couldn't stick to it. I've now been doing lc for a while (not perfectly but pretty well!) and I'm trying to work out what kind of lc woe suits my body best.

Please could someone remind me what their stance on fat is for the CM? I think that the fat-protein combo is really satiating for me; do they recommend fat in that meal, and if so, do they give any advise re quantities?

Also, has anyone else found that this reduces their appetites and eliminates binges? I notice that, Teri, you only have coffee for breakfast. Did you eat breakfast before but now aren't hungry in the mornings or were you never a breakfast eater?

Thanks

Helena
VanillaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/74 years old 169/159/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
I still, after getting the book etc., do not understand how you can lose weight without counting carbs or calories. Will someone please clarify for me? This WOE certainly suits me but I never lose any weight!

Thanks,
Suze
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #26
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Hi Everyone! I used to post in this group and wandered away from CAD for a while...now I'm back! Weight is about the same as it was when I left but it's time to start losing again....

Started back on plan 2 days ago and am doing great! I will be having knee replacement surgery in a month and hope to lose 10 lbs. before then. And being on this plan will make meal prep easier for my family after surgery. I don't know how long I will be unable to cook.

Nice to see you again, Teri and Stephanie! And you, too, Amber!

We gladly feast on those who would subdue us! - Addams Family Creed

My Facebook

Last edited by mamagiff; 01-13-2010 at 12:27 PM..
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Everyone!

Oh, it is so nice to come here and see more participating! I know I have been away from posting for about a week. There was just stuff going on in real life, and I got distracted! But, I also had some hic-ups with the eating plan, and all total, I gained like 7 1/2 pounds in a week! YIKES!!! One of my problems that has crept in is timing issues, like pausing the RM and waiting for the next part of it, and then winding up going over time. That has happened a few times now, and both my weight will go up as well as my BG. It is very dramatic when that happens, and frightening. This morning, I did find myself down a pound and a half, and I am cheered by that. I have felt scared and out of control this past week. Yesterday, I tried really hard to make it all come together for me, so to see that drop makes me feel reassured once more in this woe.

I continue to research diabetes and look for alternative therapy rather than the use of the drugs. One thing that really frustrates me is that there are two opposite thoughts as to diet for controling this disease! One side is basically a Vegan diet, and the other is the low carb diet. I am thinking of combining the two, like continue to eat my low carb meals, meaning good proteins, but increase my overall intake of veggies and then sneak in some fruits for my RM instead of other sweets, as I have been doing lately. Well, last night and the night before, I included a banana in my RM as my carb, because I like them, miss them, and I wanted to sneak it into my day. I have to be so careful with fruits because they can wreak havoc on the BG. I also found a magazine that is supportive of diabetics and I took out a subscription for it last night. I need to continue to educate myself in these matters.

At any rate, my problems pale in comparrison to those poor people in Haiti after that earthquake yesterday! I just can't imagine living thru that! I do hope relief efforts get there in a timely manner and that lives are saved, and order is restored.

I wish you all a good day on your plan! And I will try to do the same!

Happy Eating!
Connie
Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Helena, welcome! I hope your transition back to CAD is everything you expect it will be! I do not eat breakfast simply because I am not hungry in the mornings. Before I began following CALP, I would begin my day with carbs since breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day. I was really happy to begin CALP because I was allowed to skip breakfast and I no longer felt like I HAD to eat. I told myself when I began this way of eating, that I would not allow myself to be hungry since I had that experience on a low fat program and after playing the yo-yo game, I always gained the weight back and then some. I eat when I am hungry, which has turned out to be twice a day. I will not hesitate to eat another meal if I become hungry though! I believe eating the right combination of foods does help to keep me satisfied for hours and that is why I am not hungry. CALP works really well for me and the best part about that is, I actually enjoy following it! Good luck to you!

Suze, welcome and the best of luck to you! Before I began following CALP, I was eating whatever I wanted and was close to or at my highest weight ever. Every pound that I have lost has been by following this way of eating. I follow the guidelines of CALP and still eat what I want. Since it is the way I plan on eating for the rest of my life, I do not worry about what the scale says because I am following the program and allowing the weight to take care of itself.

Linda, welcome back! I am sorry to hear that you have surgery scheduled. I was hoping you would be able to avoid it but I am sure once you are healed, it will feel better.

Connie, we learn from doing, whether right or wrong! I am happy to hear that you were able to get right back on the program yesterday. Hopefully you will figure out how to keep your blood glucose under control and find the solution that works for you!

Tuesday, 1.12.10

Menu
RM: Salad of romaine w/celery & ranch, pizza w/linguisa & olives

Water
120 oz.

Option #1
GTF Chromium

Option #2
Bowflex
2 sets of 15 reps
120# Bench Press
120# Seated Lat Rows
080# Chest Fly
120# Biceps Curl
120# Triceps Pushdown
120# Leg Extension

Last edited by Hoppinn; 01-13-2010 at 03:17 PM..
Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff View Post
I will be having knee replacement surgery in a month and hope to lose 10 lbs. before then. And being on this plan will make meal prep easier for my family after surgery. I don't know how long I will be unable to cook.
Linda, I had knee replacement surgery a year ago December 1. One of the most difficult parts of recovery was not being able to cook much. I sure hope everything goes really well for you!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #30
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
Linda, I had knee replacement surgery a year ago December 1. One of the most difficult parts of recovery was not being able to cook much. I sure hope everything goes really well for you!
Thanks, Shirley! Nice to see you again! How have you been? My DS and DH will be able to prepare simple meals and I'm sure DH will go get me a salad from Subway as often as he can...I think DS will do more of the cooking. He's been asking how to make certain dishes and I will probably type up a few easier recipes for him to follow till I can get in the kitchen again!

I had a great day 3...food all on plan, had a good workout...
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote