Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amandy
Lisa, congratulations on your scale loss! Hurrah! :cheer: Thanks for the encouragement re the race.

Also thanks for the encouragement to Linda. Lol, the carbs didn't backfire scale wise because unofficially (I only count the one day a week weigh-in as official but I did hop on yesterday) I'm down again. Today I don't crave carbs so much as I didn't run, just did my weights at home.

Linda, I am sorry your nerves are shot and that I missed you are having surgery. Sending my best healing vibes your way. I wouldn't worry too much about scale weight right now if I were you, although I know t'is hard not to.

Karen, sorry you are so busy but glad for you it is tax time. I need to remember to get mine done!

Sue, congratulations on your great losses and being halfway to your goal! That is a good feeling!

Metqa, I agree with you. Any calorie reduction plan works ultimately.

I lost a major amount of weight a number of years ago and more or less kept it off and improved upon it and on my health and calories for me are key.

I do find concentrating on being very careful with carbs and focusing on good quality protein helps. When I don't do that, I get into problems and I also start not to feel well.

Yesterday, I did find I ate two small pieces of a frozen banana cake I bought (in a fit of madness). I had to throw the cake away or I would have eaten it all.

After that, though, my runaway train of needing to eat, eat, eat suddenly came to an end on its own, so sometimes it may be I need quick carbs and that is that, although I don't want to test it too often.

I am not opposed to carbs, btw, and believe we need them to function properly (realize this is controversial, sorry) but for me, they are tricky and I also need to keep the carbs I do eat on the healthy side (not banana cake lol).

Zenngrl, virtually everyone loses weight on 1500 calories and according to my numerous medical providers who have brought me through the weight loss/long maintenance period, 1500 is a safe and healthy moderate weight loss number. Sounds like a plan, good luck. :wave:

Afuentes, hope you are over the hungries by now. Have a great day!
Amandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #242
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
City Sue, that's great news!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Location: Best Coast and sometimes Memphis to be with grandsons
Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/200/161
WOE: Paleo and IF
Start Date: Whole30 10/30/14
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Of course this is just a mini goal with a long way yet to go after that but I'm just letting the weight take care of itself as I focus on just doing the right things to take care of myself each day. It's surprising what happens when I do that

Linda, I'm wishing some peacefulness for you today and definitely for your surgery and your thyroid.

Amandy, good job catching yourself with the cake and throwing the rest out. Haha--a fit of madness--crazy how the brain comes up with these quick justifications that cause us to throw all good reasoning out the window. I can relate--it's always a relief to me when sanity returns.

Sue
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #244
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I am over the hungries. I broke my fast today with a nice veggie salad w/a viniagrette (sp?) dressing.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/155/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
I keep forgetting to ask if most of you are keeping to a LC plan with your IF window. If so, can you please tell me about how many carbs you are eating? I'm still not losing and as you can see I am grabbing at straws.

Thanks,
Suze

Last edited by SuzeQ; 02-04-2010 at 01:41 PM..
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Hi Suze,

One of the women who used to be on this thread, Barbara, gave me this info from a calculator program she had and it is what I try for and feel good on:

65 grams of protein
147 - 204 Fat
33 -52 Carbs

According to Barbara: "While trying to release lbs from our bodies we should aim for the lower end of the numbers and then see what happens. You can always go up in Fat & Carbs if necessary. Don't eat more than 65 grams of Protein per day. The recommended minimum for women for protein is 50 grams per day so you have some wiggle room but try 65 gr. first to see what happens"

I don't really keep track so I can't say what my actual numbers are. I try and eat as few carbs as possible as long as I am satisfied and it varies from day to day. I do try to eat a good amount of fat because I am more satisfied and the weight seems to roll off better also. I use avocados, heavy weight cream, olives, full fat yogurts, some coconut oil in cooking...foods like that to increase the fat percentage. And I eat a good 4-6 oz or more of protein with each meal I would say and snacks too. I am on the low end of protein, probably not even 50/day.

I have found by trial and error that this is what works best for me. The weight is coming off not super fast but I feel this type of eating is something that I can sustain over the long term. I have to say that I think total calories plays a part. I try to only eat when I am truly hungry and stop when I am feeling satisfied, before I get too full.

I don't like to count calories but I suppose on a light day I would guess I have around 1200-1500 calories and on a heavier day around 1800 or so. Some days I am just hungrier and other days less so, so I just roll with it.

Hope this helps give you some ideas. I know our food plans vary here from person to person so I encourage you to experiment and keep tweaking what you eat until you find a plan that works for you.

Sue
Old 02-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Glad you are over the hungries, afuentes. A salad for me today also for brunch--added some shrimp and extra cashews to a grocery store Asian mix salad kit. Dh cooked up a cauliflower dish so I had some of that also. I just need to decide on something for supper and I will close my window here shortly.

Hope everyone is having a productive afternoon.

Sue
Old 02-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

City Sue: Thanks so much for the post. Great info and I appreciate it so much.

Suze
Old 02-05-2010, 02:44 AM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Suze, Glad it helped answer your question. It occurred to me after I posted that info, that those numbers were based on my weight at the time Barbara calculated them for me (218). I forget what all factors she entered into the calculator she has but you get an idea of the basic percentage breakdown anyway.

Have you looked at the sticky post at the top of Other Plans page? There's some great IF info there.

Sue
Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Good morning everyone Looks like it's gonna be a beautiful day in Oklahoma. The sun is shining brightly for a change. I'm so tired of winter already.

Amandy glad you threw away the rest of that cake. It would have been hard for me to do after I'd tasted it. If I work out harder, then I'm always hungrier later. That kind of hunger is hard to ignore.
Thanks for the healing thoughts, BTW. The closer surgery gets, the closer hysteria bubbles up. I'm such a wuss.

Sue thanks for the well wishes. Can't say I can tell any difference w/ the additional thyroid meds, although some days I seem to think I'm warmer, lol, then it goes away. Soon, the surgery will be behind me and I won't be in this "fight or flight" type of adrenalin rush that just won't go away.

Suze we all do the I.F. differently w/ higher and lower carbs and higher or lower fats/proteins. It's all in what fits for you. Read the stickies up at the top of the page of "other plans" like Sue suggested. It will give you a lot more information. We are pretty laid back here and let everyone interpret I.F. in their own way.
The amount of carbs we eat at our house is pretty low since hubby is a diabetic. Probably <30 carbs a day. Might even be <20 carbs a day. About the only carbs we eat are green veggies/tomatoes and lc fruit like berries of some sort and we don't eat them every day. We also go to the gym 4-5 days a week and work out. I don't work out as much as I should but try to get in at least 30 min. It's a constant battle w/ my inner child to get her butt to the gym in the first place.

Afuentes, glad your hungries have gone.

Everybody have a great, warm type of day.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quirkyrabbit
Stats: 143/129.5/129.5
WOE: hCGi R1P3
Start Date: Jan 1
February thread opened

Oh, here you are!! I couldn't find a February thread so I started one.http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...l#post13100538

It's sunny, but windy, here on the west coast of florida. My northeastern friends and family are snowed under by the blizzard of 2010. Hope you are all well!!
quirkyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Quirky, but Barbara suggested that we just have one thread for 2010 and we thought that was a good idea, so we've just kept this one going. Good to see you here.

Scale is the same this morning....again...which I guess I should be thankful for. Nerves are BAD right now and the countdown is only 3 days away. I really need some nerve pills.

Another storm coming Monday. Just what I need. Hope everyone has a great week end.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quirkyrabbit
Stats: 143/129.5/129.5
WOE: hCGi R1P3
Start Date: Jan 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
Barbara suggested we just have one thread for 2010 since the I.F. thread had gotten so small it wasn't necessary to have a new one each month.
Interesting. I didn't see it posted anywhere. Ten pages is too long for me to wander through and going up to over 100 pages would be overwhelming in the future. I guess I'll stay over there at February.

clap:
quirkyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkyrabbit View Post
Interesting. I didn't see it posted anywhere. Ten pages is too long for me to wander through and going up to over 100 pages would be overwhelming in the future. I guess I'll stay over there at February.

clap:
You can always click the link at the top of the thread for 'go to first unread'. Much faster that way.
BrandNewMe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

She suggested it back in 2009, probably December thread.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

everyone. Just a quick check-in. All is good here. Been actually doing some exercise even-haha!

Linda, 3 days It will be good to have this behind you since you've been planning it for so long.

Since I try to squeeze in the best nutrition I can during the time my window is open, I actually got a pre-made salad while I was at the grocery store to have for my afternoon snack--this is a new thing for me, hmmm.

Lazy afternoon here right now--kittehs doing their catnapping makes me want one too
Old 02-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Sue, congratulations on the exercising AND the salad. I didn't plan on exercising today but ended up with a 4 yr old grandson and a 6 yr old grandson spending the night. After shopping, cooking, cleaning and getting them ready for bed, then making some ice cream, I think I got some exercise in anyway. Think it will be an early bedtime for grandma too.

Hope you got your nap in. Week ends are good for that.

Yep, I can't believe the time is creeping up on me so quickly. Another day almost finished. This time next week it will all be over.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:10 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Yep, Linda, I think taking care of 2 boys at those ages qualifies as a workout haha. How great that you get to spend time with them. My son in Tennessee is not 2 happy with me for not getting out there to spend time with his 2 youngest boys. I can't seem to get myself on a plane and travel that far. I'm waiting now for their weather to improve before I go--I've gotten spoiled with my bay area weather here.

My oldest grandson is going on 14 now, and spending time with grandma just isn't as popular with him as it used to be Next year we will be looking at his learners permit and driving so I (and my car) may once again be in favor

I did get a nap but now I'm awake and keeping odd hours but then that's how it goes with me anyway. I used to work many nite shifts over the years because I am one to be awake during the nite anyway.

Well, here's hoping for a fun and healthy Sunday!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #259
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Snowing again here, and up to 6 inches by tomorrow.............it has been one of those winters.

So happy to have stayed the same..................gone to DD high school event yesterday, so bowl of cereal in the morning, Dairy Queen for chicken sandwich and fries and Free Dessert, diet pop. Then DH bet the team and lost, so went back to DQ and had a small blizzard, and then toasted cheese sandwich at 10 pm when we got home.

Hope everything is going well for everyone.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
<doing the happy dance> Proof positive that IF works for me. I wasn't totally on plan the 1st 4 days this week (ate outside my window twice, too), and went up a pound and stayed there (thank goodness it wasn't more).. I went back to IF w/ CAD in a Mediterrasian style, STRICTLY - and I'm down to 279.8 this morning, two hours earlier than I usually weigh even. 50 pounds lost! TOPS is tomorrow, and I've got my plan for today so I will NOT be tempted. I have proof that this is what I need to be doing to lose this weight. WOOHOO!!!
http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com/
"I can have results or I can have excuses. I can not have both."
BrandNewMe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amandy
Linda, glad your surgery will be all over by this time next week. That is always a good thing to think about in life sometimes, just getting some things over with, always moving on.

Congrats to all who are having successes. Brand New Me, woot! Iakaren, great work on the maintenance! Afuentes, glad your hungries are gone also.

Not meaning to skip anyone, all my posts are to all, mentioned or un ... very tired and unfocused tonight and facing deadline day tomorrow and am resting so that the hungries don't get me again this week due to the Monday stress, which always sets me off.

SO wanted cake AGAIN today, although have been doing well for the past few days, but instead took a trip to Sprouts and bought some healthier things and an exceptionally good peanut butter. One serving took away my cake craving. I do SO much better on a low glycemic, lowish carb/good carb, high protein type diet, although I did have some dark chocolate today, yummy.

I am relatively new here and not even a totally committed IFer so I'll offer no opinion on the full year thread versus smaller thread.

It is fun to see so many posters here. I am very helped by the concept of IF and the "window."

Happy Monday, everyone!
Amandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #262
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I think it's probably good to keep the current one going. If we had 50 to 100 pages it's be difficult for a newbie to catch up with what's current. Or if the thread moved really fast like 3-4 pages a day, then the same. We only have 9 pages for the entire month of January . I doubt anyone is in danger of getting lost. . .yet!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's why I quit the Simeons thread, Metqa. It was just moving too quickly and I couldn't keep up This thread is a lot slower and won't be too tough to keep up with IMHO. AND, last year we had fewer people posting so I'm glad we are picking up. It's so good to see you here.

Quirky, wish you would join us here. If you get an email whenever there is a new post, you can click right to where you last read, there is no long thread to muddle through. We'd love to have you join us.

Amandy, smart to just rest and relax when you get the opportunity. Stress can cause us to do silly things sometimes. Hoping your Monday will be smoother. I'm so glad the peanut butter took away the cake craving. Good food

Melissa, congrats on losing 50 lbs. When the motivation is there, nothing can stop you. Bet you are feeling so much better without the garbage in your body. To find a way of eating that works for us is such a great feeling.

Sue, I understand about grandma not being "cool" to hang with. I've got a 12 year old granddaughter (going on 35) who thinks grandmas aren't all that cool too. She is the love of my life and while I knew it was coming....I still hate it.

Karen, sorry for the storms. You're right about this winter. It's one of a kind hopefully. Congrats on staying the same.

Ok, don't know how much time I'll have today. Gonna try and get calmed down and I won't be posting in the morning probably, so I'll see you all in a few days when I feel up to posting.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Linda, u will be in my thoughts. I will look forward to hearing from you in a few days..

Amandy, for making a healthier choice over having cake. I feel good about when I do things like that; makes it easier next time.

to everyone else.

Today I am going to work on some things around the house I've been procrastinating on doing. It looks like a rainy day out so a good day for it.

Hope everyone has a good Monday.

Sue
Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
Hi everyone.. I hope you all don't mind if i jump right in. I have spent this whole morning reserching Intermittant fasting and i have to say i think i am going to give it a shot! I have only about 15 pounds to lose since i started on Jan 4th but i havent had much luck getting off as quickly as a was hoping.
After all the reading i have done, i still have a couple of questions if someone wouldnt mind helping me out.
1.Does this intermittant fasting cause loss of muscle mass? i am specifically trying to get rid of fat that is keeping my muscles from showing off and i worry about losing muscle.
2.Have any of you noticed that you can eat a little more carbs (grains,fruits) and as long as you keep it in your window you still lose? or should i be really sticking to VLC and just tweaking to find the best 5-6 hour window for me?
3.from what i have read coffee is ok in the mornings right? even with heavy cream and splenda?

Thanks for letting me join in and i look forward to learning about your WOE and giving it a try for myself.

i had a couple of eggs at around 1030, so to go ahead and try to get started today i am going to have my dinner before 5 and see how that works for starters. for tomorrow i am thinking of just having my coffee and waiting til around 2-3 to have anything to eat (we usually have dinner later on- like 7ish)

btw. in all my reading i have been super inspired by all of your stories in alot of IT forums. Thanks so much for sharing!!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quitecontrary
Stats: 225.8/185/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 2014
Hi, all! I've been here a couple of times and was drawn away by every diet and weight loss program coming and going. Not proud of that, since now I am at my highest weight!:blush:

I'm going to get started tomorrow since today I've already started stuffing my face early on, and I don't do well with cutting my eating off early in the day. Also, I'll be at work tomorrow and that helps keep my eating in check. (I was off today due to the massive snow here in Pittsburgh. . .) I plan on an eating window of noon till 6:00 p.m. I don't eat breakfast anyway and usually only have coffee before lunch. It's cutting my eating off at 6:00 that will be the hardest but the most needed. I eat and snack so much at night that my food comes up in my sleep and I choke. Not pleasant. In fact, I'm scared I could choke to death in my sleep.

I've got to do something that will help me learn some discipline where eating is concerned. As of now, I have none. So if y'all will have me, I'm gonna give it another try!

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.-William Arthur Ward

Last edited by quitecontrary; 02-08-2010 at 12:01 PM..
quitecontrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #267
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Blizzard conditions here again....and into tomorrow. No wonder I ate too much yesterday......
Actually, probably the Dairy queen from Saturday showed up on the scales today......

Getting some office work done, but just getting tired of the weather. Tow trucks have been out 3 times today, and DH isn't feeling good.......

Hope everyone else is having better weather than here.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So sorry about the weather there, Karen, and about the scale too. Hope it will go down for you tomorrow. Hang in there, gal.

Hi Angela, welcome to our little thread and we're glad you joined us. I don't know that I can answer the questions you have correctly, all I can do is give my opinion.
1. I don't think I.F. would take muscle mass from you anymore than any other diet. When you weigh less you need less muscle and will lose some, but it will happen no matter what diet you are using. If you only have 10 lbs to lose, I would doubt you'd notice much difference, especially if you are exercising.
2. We all do I.F. differently here and you just have to find out what works for you. Some just eat once a day and eat more carbs, some less. Personally, I have to eat very low carb because hubby is diabetic and I cook for him, plus my age makes it very hard to lose if I have many carbs (I'm 64). I do eat veggies, a few fruits, but meat & eggs are my mainstay, along w/ fish, chicken, and ice cream.
3. If you want cream in your coffee in the mornings, you go right ahead and have it. Splenda too. Like I said, we don't have strict rules here and you can figure out what your body likes best.

Hi Carol Ann, glad you decided to join us. Hoping that this WOE will work for you. Of course we will have you
As far as the food coming up in your throat, I used to have that problem only it wasn't food, it was acid reflux from the carbs I was eating. As soon as I stopped having carbs w/ my fats, it went away. Hoping that is all yours is and without so many carbs it will stop.

Sue, thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. Off to the gym today for awhile.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Linda: Hope your surgery is a breeze! When you come back I have a question for you. How long have you been doing IF and do you track calories at all? We are roughly the same age and I am trying to learn from others "in my pack" so to speak. So thanks, and best wishes.

Suze
Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
Hi Angela, welcome to our little thread and we're glad you joined us. I don't know that I can answer the questions you have correctly, all I can do is give my opinion.
Thank you very much. the opinions are exactly what i was fishing for. I am going to give it a go and i will be sure to post updates... really gotta work on my water today! its 230 and i havent had any water yet... tisk tisk. i should know better.
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote