Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member
 
SuzeQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ojai, CA
Posts: 244
Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Linda:So glad your surgery went well! You will be to hot for the room I'm telling ya!

About eating IF and "still" eating the McDonalds and other carbage, doesn't it make sense that if you are moderately restricting your daily carb intake to, say, 50 or under, that you will still be in the lowish carb zone? The thing is that in a 5-hour window I could consume way over 1200 calories if I didn't track what's going into the old mouth. No progress there for sure! Some of us can eat to fullness and consume far more calories but for an older person that won't work. If eating bread, pasta, etc. in only one of the meals that would then put it into the CAD category. Interesting stuff. I believe it goes back to moderation in all things. At my age I have learned that this adage is oh so true. If I eat less than 20 grams it's OK for a few days and then I begin feeling so ugh and deprived. Best for some to go a bit higher so that at least once a day you consume some carbs. As for fat, I buy the moderation thing as well, and believe me I love my buttah! Two meals a day unless one is just a little bite, doesn't do what one main meal will do. My doc at the time I lost 40 lbs., who is a cardiac guy, asked me what I did and I told him I ate one meal a day, and that it was pretty much anything I wanted. I also had a tidbit in the AM and still drank my wine at night if I chose to do so. At that time I was in my 50's and exercising quite a lot as well. To each his own.

Suze

Last edited by SuzeQ; 02-11-2010 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: spelling
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #302
Blabbermouth!!!
 
afuentes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 5,100
Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
IF and eating healthy go hand in hand. I read "The Warrior Diet" and Ori strongly encourages that this should not be done while eating junk food. He encourages to break your fast by eating raw food like fruit/veggies/or maybe even nuts or yogurt. Then you would move on to "warm foods" or more aggresive foods like proteins, dressings for salads, cooked veggies, soup, etc.

This WOE is best done, I think, with a low carb lifestyle. The low carb lifestyle allows you to not be that hungry anyways b/c the fat/protein keep you full. So I kind of stumbled across IF b/c I wasn't hungry from eating such healthy foods.
__________________
***Avatar - I'm in the red ***

I love weight lifting (fountain of youth) and enjoy a low carb lifestyle.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Hazelsmrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,832
Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Well the fasting part of today and last night went well, I didn't have those stomach gurglies all night like I did the first day, and the hunger this morning was tolerable. I'm about to go make some food, I'm thinking 3 eggs scrambled in butter and some bacon or sausage, will see what interests me when I open the fridge.

I've been reading a lot on primal dieting, I wonder if I would get the same results I get with low carb if I added fruit in like that. It would open so many options for me as I do love fruit, it seems like a healthy diet as well (then again, anything that cuts out flours/grains/starches seems healthy when compared to the SAD). I think for now i'll just keep reading more on it and keep doing my animal products + veggies + small amounts of berries and nuts approach, it seems to work for me. I really do miss cherries though.

I really need to not overthink things. I tend to "binge" on literature when I become excited about something new, in this case IF. Then when I read something that is negative about IF I start second guessing myself all over again. This time I read that IF too long will lower your metabolism and should only be done by very fit people who don't have weight to lose. Ugh. So now I have this seed of doubt in my mind, am I doing the right thing, should I be eating more often etc. Bleh.
__________________
-Julie

Last edited by Hazelsmrf; 02-11-2010 at 10:56 AM..
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #304
Blabbermouth!!!
 
afuentes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 5,100
Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I became attracted to IF b/c it is what I was naturally doing. I have had a slow metabolism since I was a preteen. I have never been lucky. I am just not hungry all the time so I listen to my body. This is what led me hear. I naturally eat this way. See what works best for you.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #305
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelad653's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 165
Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
I really need to not overthink things. I tend to "binge" on literature when I become excited about something new, in this case IF. Then when I read something that is negative about IF I start second guessing myself all over again. This time I read that IF too long will lower your metabolism and should only be done by very fit people who don't have weight to lose. Ugh. So now I have this seed of doubt in my mind, am I doing the right thing, should I be eating more often etc. Bleh.

I also do the same. i have been reading everything i can find on it since monday morning EARLY (both the good and bad) and i am under the impression that fasting for more that 48 hours is what messes with your metabolism. and that partial day IF does not.

just my 2 cents, passed on from reading it several times in the last couple of days
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Hazelsmrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,832
Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Wow I couldn't even finish my food tonight, appetite is dead. I ate 4 eggs and 5 slices of bacon for break-fast, which I thought was a lot and huge but felt just right. Then at the end of my window I ate a big bowl of beef chili with sour cream, devilled eggs and some sugar free jello with whipped cream. I actually went over my carbs for the day but am coming in at 1200 calories which is quite low for me. I actually need to review those numbers because I couldn't eat more than 1 devilled egg, I put the rest back. Here's to hoping the evening/morning/early afternoon goes as well.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #307
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelad653's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 165
Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
Wow I couldn't even finish my food tonight, appetite is dead. I ate 4 eggs and 5 slices of bacon for break-fast, which I thought was a lot and huge but felt just right. Then at the end of my window I ate a big bowl of beef chili with sour cream, devilled eggs and some sugar free jello with whipped cream. I actually went over my carbs for the day but am coming in at 1200 calories which is quite low for me. I actually need to review those numbers because I couldn't eat more than 1 devilled egg, I put the rest back. Here's to hoping the evening/morning/early afternoon goes as well.
Hey.. i was almost the same as you today. had about 5 slices of turkey deli meat to break the fast. then about an hour later i had most of a can of french cut green beans and a bubba burger patty wrapped in a low carb wrap. then to close out my window i made taco meat and topped it with cheese and sourcream and took my vitamins. coming in at 1185 for the day... counting my coffee this morning and all... thats actually pretty low for me too. and i did go over on the carbs a little too. the green beans did it. but thats ok. i been feeling like i really need the veggies. i somewhat crave them and i almost instantly get a boost of energy after eating them so thats a plus. otherwise i have been still in my fog a little and headachy a little too, but i just started TOM today.. so i am writing it off to that..

are you feeling ok? any symptoms/side effects that you didnt have when you were only LCing?
__________________
~Think about the person you want to be...
Now every time you need to do something ask yourself what would that person do, and DO THAT! ~

Last edited by Angelad653; 02-11-2010 at 05:52 PM..
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Hazelsmrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,832
Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
No, not really. Other than not snacking all evening I'm eating about the same stuff, only I pushed breakfast to 3pm instead of having it at 10am, I was already skipping lunch as it was. From what I hear though the day 3-5 are the hardest so we'll see how I fare tomorrow.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #309
Senior LCF Member
 
Amandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 104
Gallery: Amandy
LINDA! Glad your surgery went well and hope today finds you better and better!

***
Hello to all!
Amandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:33 AM   #310
Big Yapper!!!!
 
iakaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 8,132
Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelad653 View Post
I also do the same. i have been reading everything i can find on it since monday morning EARLY (both the good and bad) and i am under the impression that fasting for more that 48 hours is what messes with your metabolism. and that partial day IF does not.

just my 2 cents, passed on from reading it several times in the last couple of days
My theory is, if you aren't hungry, don't eat. That is where I get in trouble, is the boredom eating. I started the IF when I noticed I really wasn;t hungry in the mornings. So skipped breakfast, even though that is a cardinal sin, according to how we were raised.

On days that I am really hungry in the morning, I eat something. But I have a really active lifestyle, or fairly good metabolism for my age. But I definitly can lose if I stick with this, and maintaining is easy (as long as we don't crank up our soft-serve ice cream machine....)
__________________
192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185 184 183 182 181 180 179 178
10/25/06 weight 191.0 Started Atkins; Fell off 2008 Struggling CAD in 2014
12/31 2006... 2007 ... 2008 ... 2009 ...2010 ...2011... 2012 ... 2013... 2014
.. ......177.0...174.0....174.0...183.0...184.0...183 .5...185.5....192.0

Goal of less than 170.0 by Year End 2014.
22 Lb Goal 2014......So Far ?????
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelad653's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 165
Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
My theory is, if you aren't hungry, don't eat. That is where I get in trouble, is the boredom eating. I started the IF when I noticed I really wasn;t hungry in the mornings. So skipped breakfast, even though that is a cardinal sin, according to how we were raised.

On days that I am really hungry in the morning, I eat something. But I have a really active lifestyle, or fairly good metabolism for my age. But I definitly can lose if I stick with this, and maintaining is easy (as long as we don't crank up our soft-serve ice cream machine....)
I see your point. I had noticed that i was wanting to eat and not really feeling hungry alot of times. i guess i was boredom eating. But to try to get into this WOE i have NOT eaten when i get hungry (at first) for the last few days. and putting it off until around 3pm. I thought a couple times about having just a little piece of chicken or something, but after the first day of actually feeling hungry, it was alot more bearable the 2nd and 3rd day. and i have had things to do to keep busy and keep my mind off of food.. being that i have a toddler, i have to make her 2 things to eat (at least) by that time, and that is really the biggest challenge.
My lifestyle has went from active active to less active just for the last week. i wanted to compare my results on the scale if i take a week off of work outs (and i was worried about being too weak on my first days of IF). But i think today i am getting back to it, as i realized that i dont care about that number on the scale if i can get my body to look how i want it and i think with how i am feeling, i will be okay to work out about a half an hour before breaking the fast. and hey, i bet thats a good way to pass that last hour when the hunger really starts to set in
I am glad to hear that you do well on this WOE.. I hope soon i will be able to say the same
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #312
Way too much time on my hands!
 
metqa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 12,544
Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQ View Post
[...]
About eating IF and "still" eating the McDonalds and other carbage, doesn't it make sense that if you are moderately restricting your daily carb intake to, say, 50 or under, that you will still be in the lowish carb zone? The thing is that in a 5-hour window I could consume way over 1200 calories if I didn't track what's going into the old mouth. No progress there for sure! Some of us can eat to fullness and consume far more calories but for an older person that won't work. If eating bread, pasta, etc. in only one of the meals that would then put it into the CAD category. Interesting stuff. I believe it goes back to moderation in all things. At my age I have learned that this adage is oh so true. If I eat less than 20 grams it's OK for a few days and then I begin feeling so ugh and deprived. Best for some to go a bit higher so that at least once a day you consume some carbs. As for fat, I buy the moderation thing as well, and believe me I love my buttah! Two meals a day unless one is just a little bite, doesn't do what one main meal will do. My doc at the time I lost 40 lbs., who is a cardiac guy, asked me what I did and I told him I ate one meal a day, and that it was pretty much anything I wanted. I also had a tidbit in the AM and still drank my wine at night if I chose to do so. At that time I was in my 50's and exercising quite a lot as well. To each his own.

Suze
That's pretty much what I figured, and your anecdote confirms, for at least one person, it is true ! It makes sense. Thanks for the post.

I dont' think anyone should be discouraged from IF because their WOE differs from others. Any change in diet habits in the direction of less/loss would be an improvement over doing nothing at all. If a person has poor food choices but limits quantity, that's still an step in the right direction. People have to choose their paths, and I think having too many new habits to keep track of can derail some folks. So if you can restrict your carbs and your calories and do IF, then you are wonderful. For other just doing IF is a biggest step they can take right now.

I can imagine though that after a few days of limited meals, that one's cravings for icecream cake or Poor quality food for dinner go out the window and they'll start craving better food since they won't be able to graze later.

Kinda like the question of: If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your life? Some of the answers always crack me up, imagining a person eating cheesecake only forever!
__________________
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member
 
Amandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 104
Gallery: Amandy
Karen, I agree with this. I have to be careful not to let my blood sugar drop too low sometimes but I think that is carried too far sometimes these days where people are being told they have to eat constantly and as you say it is a sin not to eat breakfast.

I have lost a great deal of weight over the past decade and for the most part I keep it off and my weight stable and sometimes it is ONLY when I eat breakfast if not hungry that I have out of control eating days.

I keep reading over and over that "studies show" people who don't eat breakfast eat more calories later in the day or binge to compensate but since I count every calorie I eat and track everything that goes in my mouth, I can't say that I've found that to be true.

Hmmm, if I had a soft serve ice cream machine, I'd eat some of that right now, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
My theory is, if you aren't hungry, don't eat. That is where I get in trouble, is the boredom eating. I started the IF when I noticed I really wasn;t hungry in the mornings. So skipped breakfast, even though that is a cardinal sin, according to how we were raised.

On days that I am really hungry in the morning, I eat something. But I have a really active lifestyle, or fairly good metabolism for my age. But I definitly can lose if I stick with this, and maintaining is easy (as long as we don't crank up our soft-serve ice cream machine....)
Amandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Hazelsmrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,832
Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Day 3 was pretty effortless for me as well, going good! I broke the fast at 4pm (was busy before then), 4 pieces of bacon and 3 eggs scrambled into the bacon fat. Then supper was 2 italian sausages, and a cup of broccoli. I had some sugar free jello with whipped cream for dessert. I've been thinking of switching to more paleo-style eating, and ditching all dairy and jello. Up to my dessert tonight I ate paleo all day and I really didn't need the dessert, I wasn't hungry. Tomorrow I will try for a dairy free, dessert free day!
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:36 AM   #315
Big Yapper!!!!
 
iakaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 8,132
Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandy View Post
Karen, I agree with this. I have to be careful not to let my blood sugar drop too low sometimes but I think that is carried too far sometimes these days where people are being told they have to eat constantly and as you say it is a sin not to eat breakfast.

I have lost a great deal of weight over the past decade and for the most part I keep it off and my weight stable and sometimes it is ONLY when I eat breakfast if not hungry that I have out of control eating days.

I keep reading over and over that "studies show" people who don't eat breakfast eat more calories later in the day or binge to compensate but since I count every calorie I eat and track everything that goes in my mouth, I can't say that I've found that to be true.

Hmmm, if I had a soft serve ice cream machine, I'd eat some of that right now, though.
When we want to entertain friends, we crank up the soft serve and have "Saturday night Sundae suppers" People bring their favorite toppings, and I provide bananas, ice cream, and toppings I have on hand.
Makes company pretty easy
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member
 
RW City Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern California
Posts: 878
Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/210.2/161
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dukan 1/4/2014 Elim diet 4/27/14 Challenge 6/1/14
Happy Valentine's Day friends. Hope it was a good day for everyone

Sue
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
lindaokc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 3,155
Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Good morning everyone,
THanks for the happy valentines day wishes, Sue. I did have a nice one. Hope everybody else did as well.

Looks like all are doing well here.

I am still moving slowly but can spend more time on the computer now....not sure that's a good thing.

Weight has come down to 154 this morning, so I'm glad about that. Hoping for more loss as swelling/drainage is less and less.

Wishing everyone a great day today.

Oh, BTW, we have a soft serve machine and it's called a Vita Mix. Hubby is making soft serve every night now w/ only cream, strawberries and stevia. We just make a little, since it is so rich. Too yummy.
__________________
Be Healthy! Everything else you can shop for.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #318
Big Yapper!!!!
 
iakaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 8,132
Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
Good morning everyone,
THanks for the happy valentines day wishes, Sue. I did have a nice one. Hope everybody else did as well.

Looks like all are doing well here.

I am still moving slowly but can spend more time on the computer now....not sure that's a good thing.

Weight has come down to 154 this morning, so I'm glad about that. Hoping for more loss as swelling/drainage is less and less.

Wishing everyone a great day today.

Oh, BTW, we have a soft serve machine and it's called a Vita Mix. Hubby is making soft serve every night now w/ only cream, strawberries and stevia. We just make a little, since it is so rich. Too yummy.

Glad you are doing well and enjoy that soft serve........

Ours is out of a restaurant, and we just buy the mix and pour it in. So only do it once in awhile.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member
 
RW City Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern California
Posts: 878
Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/210.2/161
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dukan 1/4/2014 Elim diet 4/27/14 Challenge 6/1/14
Hi Linda,

Glad to see you back here. Sounds like you are bouncing back well from the surgery.

Sue
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member
 
RW City Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern California
Posts: 878
Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/210.2/161
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dukan 1/4/2014 Elim diet 4/27/14 Challenge 6/1/14
It's lonely in here today Linda and Karen, you're not out there getting into the softserve are you? Hehe.

I've been reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution this afternoon--got some lab results back this week and my blood sugar numbers are looking worse, so time to motivate and tighten up on food choices.

to everyone else and any lurkers out there.

Sue
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #321
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
lindaokc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 3,155
Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Hi Sue
So sorry to hear of your blood sugar. Dr. Bernstein advocates more carbs/starches than hubby uses. I've heard others swear by his book though. Hoping you will get your numbers under control.

Yep, it's pretty quiet in here today. Where did everybody go? Did nobody eat today at all?

Karen, gonna make more soft serve tonight, only vanilla this time.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #322
Major LCF Poster!
 
LCShadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,431
Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Hi, Sue! You're not totally by your lonesome here today.

Linda, glad to hear you are recovering well.

I have strayed from the path of IF lately, but really want to get back to it. I keep getting caught up in projects and forgeting about my eating window.

For 2010 I decided to go sugar-free. No, I mean really sugar-free. Not the kind of wishy-washy LC sugar-free I was doing last year where I slipped in low-sugar dark chocolate or the occasional Atkins bar (w/sugar in it) or let a gram or two of sugar slip by in my protein shake. I wanted to try taking it out completely (without going back to Induction) and see what happened, because my sugar cravings had begun to return.

First, I was amazed at how many products which are labeled sugar-free actually sneak it in some way or other (agave syrup is a popular method -- as is ogliofructrose). So I had to replace a few "sugar-free" labeled products with ones that were actually sugar-free -- and, in a few cases, learn to make my own substitution. (I even found a sugar substitute when I was reading labels in that aisle of the supermarket which was a combination of sugar and a non-sugar sweetener. Hello!)

So far, I haven't had any sugar at all in 2010. I do feel I can tell a difference, even if it doesn't show up on the scale. My mood is generally more steady, and I made it to Valentine's Day without really having any kill-for-sugar cravings. That's gotta be some kind of record for me. I am planning to stick with it for 2010 and see what happens.

About the earlier McDonalds discussion: wouldn't you know the one nearest me put in free wi-fi? So, of course, I'm tempted to go since I just have dialup. But I can't think of anything, other than coffee, that I might be able to order. How many hours of free wi-fi do you figure a coffee buys you?
__________________
Call me Shadows
July 11, 2008 -- Started LC
Wt Loss in 2008: 60 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2009: 18 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2010: 42 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2011: 6.5 lbs.
Inches lost around waist: 15
Hit 100-Pounds-Lost Mark on 7/22/10
LCShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #323
Big Yapper!!!!
 
iakaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 8,132
Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCShadows View Post
Hi, Sue! You're not totally by your lonesome here today.

Linda, glad to hear you are recovering well.

I have strayed from the path of IF lately, but really want to get back to it. I keep getting caught up in projects and forgeting about my eating window.

For 2010 I decided to go sugar-free. No, I mean really sugar-free. Not the kind of wishy-washy LC sugar-free I was doing last year where I slipped in low-sugar dark chocolate or the occasional Atkins bar (w/sugar in it) or let a gram or two of sugar slip by in my protein shake. I wanted to try taking it out completely (without going back to Induction) and see what happened, because my sugar cravings had begun to return.

First, I was amazed at how many products which are labeled sugar-free actually sneak it in some way or other (agave syrup is a popular method -- as is ogliofructrose). So I had to replace a few "sugar-free" labeled products with ones that were actually sugar-free -- and, in a few cases, learn to make my own substitution. (I even found a sugar substitute when I was reading labels in that aisle of the supermarket which was a combination of sugar and a non-sugar sweetener. Hello!)

So far, I haven't had any sugar at all in 2010. I do feel I can tell a difference, even if it doesn't show up on the scale. My mood is generally more steady, and I made it to Valentine's Day without really having any kill-for-sugar cravings. That's gotta be some kind of record for me. I am planning to stick with it for 2010 and see what happens.

About the earlier McDonalds discussion: wouldn't you know the one nearest me put in free wi-fi? So, of course, I'm tempted to go since I just have dialup. But I can't think of anything, other than coffee, that I might be able to order. How many hours of free wi-fi do you figure a coffee buys you?
Good luck on the keeping it sugar-free. I know I could only pull that one off, if it was a matter of life and death. Hopefully I never get to that


And you can sip that coffee for a long time.....the free Wi-Fi should be however you can make the coffee last. How lukewarm can you stand it?
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelad653's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 165
Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
Lol.. u guys are crackin me up! just wanna let you all know I been reading your posts the last couple days, just 'lurking' as some call it lol
Glad you are feeling better now Linda.

I been eating a little off my LC during my window, but been doing good on sticking to my times it does make it harder when you eat some carbs to stave off the cravings, but i have been managing pretty well its Mardi Gras here and as most of you probably know, its a BIG BIG party down here til tomorrow at midnight, the music is in the air everywhere you go and the food and the festivals ooooo. its almost as great as Christmas right now! I am going to do my very best to stay LC tomorrow, but being that it is 'FAT TUESDAY' I just can't promise anything lol

hope everyone else is well too Happy Mardi Gras from Louisiana!!
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member
 
RW City Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern California
Posts: 878
Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/210.2/161
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dukan 1/4/2014 Elim diet 4/27/14 Challenge 6/1/14
Happy Fat Tuesday, Angela. Sounds like fun there. I was in NOLA just before Mardi Gras back in '79 and I saw that the partying started weeks before the big party actually happened

Shadows, that is inspiring about making the decision to go sugar free. I am sort of in the same boat since aiming towards VLC these days. I can only face it day by day though; can't bring myself to say I've given it up for good.

Linda, you are really the queen of keeping those carbs low and coming up with creative dishes for your husband--see I've been listening all along I'm feeling strong today about letting go of most of the carbs I've been eating--let's hope my resolve holds haha.

Well, time to start winding down for the night.

Sue
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #326
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrandNewMe2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,039
Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
Down to 277. 53 down from my highest.
BrandNewMe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #327
Big Yapper!!!!
 
iakaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 8,132
Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Cheating this morning.....I am having a Crystal Light Green tea in mid-morning......but the tow trucks are out, and clients cancelling, so I might get some work done.......
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Hazelsmrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,832
Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Hello ladies, I'm still going strong! I've been very strict about the eating window, opening it no earlier than 2pm, yesterday I had it from 3:30pm to 8:30pm, it gets later. It felt strange not eating supper with my family but I was not hungry at that time! This really throws that whole "Must eat supper at this hour" thing out of whack. The hunger is really getting under control, I don't actually get hungry until my window opens again, it's great! Best of all, NO SNACKING in the evenings, I don't know how long I've battled that, I guess I really am an all or nothing person. I'm either low carbing, or when I'm not I totally don't watch what I eat and eat complete crap. Or if I don't have to eat at certain times I will eat all day whether I am hungry or not. I need the guidelines and strictness or I go all over the place

Weight loss wise though, I have been very frustrated. I gave birth in October and waited until after christmas to truly commit to a diet. (I breastfed at first, and was recovering from a c-section so I figured I would take things slow the first months). So Jan 3rd I inducted at 302.5 pounds, ugh, highest ever. (Well during my pregnancy I did go up to "ERROR" on the scale, what a sobering moment that was!). Super frustrating, before having my babies I was successful on Atkins, 267 pounds down to 160ish, then I got pregnant, gained weight, didn't lose it, got pregnant again, gained even more weight, and now here I am. And it's NOT COMING OFF like it used to. In fact, the first 2-3 weeks were great, I went from 302.5 down to 284. And since then the weight has crept back up, I'm 291 now. It's not linear, it bounces up and down and all around, went up to 295 at one point, back down to 291 now (just had my period last week, the expected spike happened, but the releasing of that water never did!).

I write down everything I eat. My calories are anywhere from 1400 to 1900 calories a day. This is all I'm hungry for, I don't think it's too low? I am below 20g a day, total, not even net. This week I even took out all dairy. I am literally eating meat, eggs, veggies and butter. That's all. And still, aaargh.

Frustrated. But not giving up, I figure my body must be doing something silly with water because there is no way i'm actually gaining weight on this. My maintenance calories are probably closer to 3000 and there is no way i'm even coming close to that number, not a single day.

Well, next week is vacation. Going to my in laws and my friend's house for a week with hubby and the kids, hopefully a week without the scale and the weighing of food and all will help, I will stick to low carb for sure, and will try to stick with the IF but if something has to go, it will be that and not LC.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrandNewMe2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,039
Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
Hit my STG one day late - 275.2 on the scale this morning. Made all the hoops I jumped through at Olive Garden worth it. Onward & downward!!
BrandNewMe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelad653's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 165
Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
Julie-- Hope your vacation goes well.

Melissa-- CONGRATS!!

Update, I have been sticking to my eating window, but.. eating things that a very NOT LC since saturday! and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised that i HAVE NOT gained any weight since i weighed in at 147 on saturday morning I guess sticking to my window has helped me maintain. and i plan on being all the way back to LC by tomorrow. was going to be monday, but i forgot about Mardi Gras and all this party going on, and i just couldnt do it! but hey.. sticking to the eating window helps by making me feel like I am not losing control
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.