Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #271
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQ View Post
Linda: Hope your surgery is a breeze! When you come back I have a question for you. How long have you been doing IF and do you track calories at all? We are roughly the same age and I am trying to learn from others "in my pack" so to speak. So thanks, and best wishes.

Suze
Hi Suze, I sometimes track calories and sometimes I don't (I should, but don't ) I use I.F. mainly to maintain. My age makes it necessary that I not snack a lot, although I do snack more than I should. When I was losing, I was using HCG and even then I lost very slowly due to thyroid issues, but at least I could lose. I can lose with I.F. also, it's just very slow, but better if I don't snack between meals (which I do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelad653 View Post
Thank you very much. the opinions are exactly what i was fishing for. I am going to give it a go and i will be sure to post updates... really gotta work on my water today! its 230 and i havent had any water yet... tisk tisk. i should know better.
love the tisk tisk, Angela. I haven't heard that in quite awhile and certainly haven't heard it in someone so young. Yep, be sure and drink that water, girl.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #272
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!! My goal is to get to 140lbs. but my mini-goal is 147lbs. I am taking it slow and steady. It looks like everyone is doing well. I had a huge salad for lunch and I will end my day (after workout) with chicken and low carb pasta. I will have to do a small serving since my salad was probably an easy 1200 calories. I will check in later.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:33 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quirkyrabbit
Stats: 143/129.5/129.5
WOE: hCGi R1P3
Start Date: Jan 1
Hey ladies, I wish you all well.
quirkyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 AM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelad653
Stats: 161/151/145
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: January 4 2010
Good morning ladies I did pretty well not having anything to eat too late last night. and today i am going to give it a shot to make it til around 3-4 this afternoon before having lunch. my sissy's Bday dinner is tonight at 7 at a seafood place in the town where she lives. so (i dont know the menu there) but it might be crawfish for me tonight hehe .. i do love me some crawfish, although i would rather have something else, i am willing to bet that this is a FRIED seafood place otherwise. so wish me luck on that endeavor!
hope you all have a good day

1st official IT day excited to give it a go!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amandy
Hello to all the new people I have not met as I am somewhat new with this group and hello to Quirky Rabbit and hope you post here when possible.

I'm a somewhat "intermittant" poster myself, like this friendly group and don't exactly do IF per se but probably need to.

LINDA, HOPE THE SURGERY IS GOING WELL! See you soon!

I've been having a LOVELY day off with some career problems semi solved and the weather being beautiful here (AZ). I am trying to run and continue to make better choices ALTHOUGH I did reintroduce some dark chocolate into my diet as I need more carbs when running and when I don't have dark chocolate (not a huge amount), I believe that may be when I start craving cake and pretzels and then I end up not feeling well and gaining weight and there you have it.

Re calorie counting, I do that religiously as whatever plan I am on, it is the central issue in weight maintenance, I have found.
Amandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Hi guys, I'm actually interested in the "eating within a 5 hour window" thing. I currently have been eating breakfast when I get up and then not eating again until supper, so I will keep pushing my breakfast back until both meals are eaten in the same 5 hour window. I have a huge problem with late night snacking and I'm hoping that the strictness of this will help curb those impulses.

My question though, I'm already doing low carb and can expect losses of 2 pounds a week or so through that. In the fast-5 book however it says to not expect losses of more than 1 pound a week. Am I understanding it right that fasting will actually slow my weight loss down and not help it?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
Hi guys, I'm actually interested in the "eating within a 5 hour window" thing. I currently have been eating breakfast when I get up and then not eating again until supper, so I will keep pushing my breakfast back until both meals are eaten in the same 5 hour window. I have a huge problem with late night snacking and I'm hoping that the strictness of this will help curb those impulses.

My question though, I'm already doing low carb and can expect losses of 2 pounds a week or so through that. In the fast-5 book however it says to not expect losses of more than 1 pound a week. Am I understanding it right that fasting will actually slow my weight loss down and not help it?
I know i am not qualified to answer this question really quite yet, but i have done ALOT of reading on it.. probably every forum about IF on the net in the last few days.. and i am understanding it that you shouldnt EXPECT more than one pound a week. but that is not to say that you wont lose the same or more than you were losing by just LCing. i think if you just stick to the LC too you might loose more weight.

Again.. i do not know from personal experience yet, i just have read alot about it in the last few days and the main thing i have taken away from this whole thing is that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! and it seems like something different works for everyone.
Good luck and let us know what you find that works for you
Angelad653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #278
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Hectic is the word of the day around here, every day lately.

My windows are not staying at 7 hrs, but I am doing pretty good about eliminating or avoiding snacks.........

Hope everyone else is doing better eating, and not getting these winter storms.....
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #279
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I agree with Angela. I dont' think the writers considered folks doing a reduction diet in addition to IF, and so, it's a chance that you may continue to lose from low carb as well. But I'm not qualified to say so, either. YMMV. Good Luck!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So you think it's more assumed that if you kept eating the same way you were eating, occasional McDonalds meal, potatoes, pasta, breads etc, then you would lose 1 pound a week by restricting your calories to a 5 hour window. That makes sense, but i'd be shooting myself in the foot by allowing those foods back into my life

It's 1:30pm right now and I haven't eaten since 6:30pm yesterday. Technically I guess I could use this as my window now but I want to wait a bit and see, the book says 5pm to 10pm but I'm wondering if there's anything magic about those times or if it's just what the author felt was best for him. I'm thinking 3pm to 8pm would be good for me, I go to bed at around midnight or 1am so I think eating at 8pm last will let me enjoy my evening without hunger pangs but restrict my snacking. Will see how it goes if I manage to keep out of the fridge until 3, I've already planned on having an omelette to break the fast, with 2 sausage links. For supper I have leftover beef chili.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So you think it's more assumed that if you kept eating the same way you were eating, occasional McDonalds meal, potatoes, pasta, breads etc, then you would lose 1 pound a week by restricting your calories to a 5 hour window. That makes sense, but i'd be shooting myself in the foot by allowing those foods back into my life

It's 1:30pm right now and I haven't eaten since 6:30pm yesterday. Technically I guess I could use this as my window now but I want to wait a bit and see, the book says 5pm to 10pm but I'm wondering if there's anything magic about those times or if it's just what the author felt was best for him. I'm thinking 3pm to 8pm would be good for me, I go to bed at around midnight or 1am so I think eating at 8pm last will let me enjoy my evening without hunger pangs but restrict my snacking. Will see how it goes if I manage to keep out of the fridge until 3, I've already planned on having an omelette to break the fast, with 2 sausage links. For supper I have leftover beef chili.
That sounds pretty yummy. I agree about not wanting to add any 'bad' foods in at this point. I think i want to stick to LC and try the IF to see if i can break my rut that i have been in for the last few weeks. i am fluctuating in weight by 3-4 pounds for a couple of weeks now and its frustrating me alot.
Its 1 here now and i am still doing pretty good. i realize that i am in sort of a fog again today, as i was yesterday, only today i am not as hungry as i was yesterday at this time. i think making it to 3 today will be a piece of cake compared to yesterday
hope everyone does well today
Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Just wanted to check in and let everybody know that the surgery went well and I am recovering. It wasn't as bad as expected, although there is pain (DOH!) but the pills help a lot with that.

Thank you, Amandy, for thinking of me during my surgery.

Hazelsmrf, I agree you would be shooting yourself in the foot to allow those foods back in your menu, but we each work our I.F. in differing ways. I personally eat low carb. I don't think there is anything special about the 5-10PM window and you should pick the 5 hrs that fit your schedule best. Make it as easy on yourself as possible and you'll more likely stick with it. Also, I think I.F. is great for stopping that night time snacking habit. If I stick to it pretty good then I don't seem to need the snacks at night after awhile.
Ok folks, that's all I've got in me for now. Back to my easy chair or bed.
lindaokc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well I made it to 2:30pm, that's an acceptable window for me, will try for 3pm tomorrow.

I ate 3 eggs, 2 sausage links, scrambled in butter and sour cream, with a bit of cheddar. Total, 660 calories. Only problem is that NOW after eating my stomach is rumbling and making me think i'm starving, ugh. I was more comfortable before eating than I am now It's my 5 hour window so I suppose I could eat more but, it's this rumbly slightly uncomfortable feeling that sends me snacking all evening! Maybe i'll grab some cucumber slices in an hour or so and end my day with a bowl of chili.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrandNewMe2004
Stats: HW 330/CW 245.3/GW 150
WOE: LC/Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
Just wanted to check in and let everybody know that the surgery went well and I am recovering. It wasn't as bad as expected, although there is pain (DOH!) but the pills help a lot with that.
Glad you are out of surgery and recovering.
BrandNewMe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well I made it to 2:30pm, that's an acceptable window for me, will try for 3pm tomorrow.

I ate 3 eggs, 2 sausage links, scrambled in butter and sour cream, with a bit of cheddar. Total, 660 calories. Only problem is that NOW after eating my stomach is rumbling and making me think i'm starving, ugh. I was more comfortable before eating than I am now It's my 5 hour window so I suppose I could eat more but, it's this rumbly slightly uncomfortable feeling that sends me snacking all evening! Maybe i'll grab some cucumber slices in an hour or so and end my day with a bowl of chili.
see. thats what happened to me yesterday. but i was better by the time my window was up. after eating several small things. Hope that part gets better. I am about a half an hour away from breaking my fast with some grilled chicken made buffalo style hope that doesnt upset the tummy like the ham and cheese did yesterday.
how do you make your chili?

Quote:

Hazelsmrf, I agree you would be shooting yourself in the foot to allow those foods back in your menu, but we each work our I.F. in differing ways. I personally eat low carb. I don't think there is anything special about the 5-10PM window and you should pick the 5 hrs that fit your schedule best. Make it as easy on yourself as possible and you'll more likely stick with it. Also, I think I.F. is great for stopping that night time snacking habit. If I stick to it pretty good then I don't seem to need the snacks at night after awhile.
so glad to hear you are doing well... hope you can take it easy and get lots of rest
Old 02-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Here are a few of my recent kitchen accomplishments:

Greek salad & LC pizza

Oopsie rolls

Baked falafel & hummus
Old 02-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ungh that low carb pizza and greek salad look yummy! I could eat that right now! I don't have any salad but I do have cucumber and feta, maybe i'll mix up a batch of that later.

And Angela, this is the recipe I use for chili (I personally don't put beans in mine but my husband adds red beans to his bowl, and he eats it with saltines or fritos, eep!)
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...li-recipe.html
Old 02-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ungh that low carb pizza and greek salad look yummy! I could eat that right now! I don't have any salad but I do have cucumber and feta, maybe i'll mix up a batch of that later.
I've been obsessed lately with greek food. I could eat that salad all day long, well if I ate all day long, lol. Something about raw veg, tangy cheese, and a sweet dressing (from the balsamic only, no added sweetener). It's also yummy with added meat.

Traditionally greek salad is only cucumber, tomato, kalamata olives, red onion, feta, and a vinaigrette. I can't remember why I added lettuce that night.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #289
Senior LCF Member

oh no!!

Oh No!! i entered my food into ****** and still had almost as much calories as a normal day before i started IF. i had over 2000 before i realized i had entered something very wrong. but i thought i did very well today and then even after changing up what i had eaten i am still at 1800!!

its hard for me to believe i ate that much within my window, and i really only went about 4 hours today. i was full after my chicken and salad and had supper to close out my window when the hubby got home from work.

but all i have to say is wow. to the fact i actually ate at my maintenance level within 4 hours!!!?!? i am just shocked!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well I stopped eating at 6:30pm, then without thinking I took nyquil at 12:15am because I have a cold and it wont' let me sleep. Now I'm wondering if Nyquil is enough to make me not in a fasting mode anymore? How do fasting people take medicine, they just don't? I'm guessing I need to stop taking my vitamins early in the morning/before bed and move them to the eating window?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well I stopped eating at 6:30pm, then without thinking I took nyquil at 12:15am because I have a cold and it wont' let me sleep. Now I'm wondering if Nyquil is enough to make me not in a fasting mode anymore? How do fasting people take medicine, they just don't? I'm guessing I need to stop taking my vitamins early in the morning/before bed and move them to the eating window?
I still take my meds & vitamins AM & PM on an empty stomach. I also drink coffee w/ cream in the morning, then have my eating window from ~2-7pm. I don't watch the clock too closely, though, so sometimes it's 1, sometimes it's not til 5 that I start to eat. LOL. I think it's like anything - The more you do it, the better, but you still get benefits if you do Fast-5 or 23/1 or 12 hours between meals, or the JUDDD up/down thing.

The key to this is finding what works for you.

BTW - Try echinachea next time you've got a cold. No-sugar herbal stuff.
http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com/
"I can have results or I can have excuses. I can not have both."
Old 02-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/210.2/161
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dukan 1/4/2014 Elim diet 4/27/14 Challenge 6/1/14
Quote:
Linda! So glad all went well. Surprised to see you here so soon--you will bounce back fast I bet.

Sue
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewMe2004 View Post
I've been obsessed lately with greek food.
Melissa, thanks for sharing photos of your culinary creations I've been on a bit of a Greek kick also. Had chicken kababs yesterday for supper.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:10 AM   #294
Senior LCF Member

to new people here. Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelad653 View Post
all i have to say is wow. to the fact i actually ate at my maintenance level within 4 hours!!!?!? i am just shocked!
Angela, oftentimes it takes a while to settle in with IF and get our bodies and minds used to it. I've found that it is helpful to combine some mindfulness techniques and intuitive eating with IF. Also, I've noticed that there is an ebb and flow to my hunger and how much I eat from day to day and the more important thing is how things average out over a week's time. So hang in there. You're doing great.

Sue
Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Karen, hope your day is less hectic today.

Quote:
How do fasting people take medicine, they just don't? I'm guessing I need to stop taking my vitamins early in the morning/before bed and move them to the eating window?
Julie, as I have sort of relaxed more into eating in an IF style, I have found that it really doesn't seem to matter that much about little things like meds after or before my eating window; I seem to still get the fasting advantage. I also use herbal teas quite a bit if I feel my stomach needs some soothing outside my window. I occasionally add a splash of cream, and honestly it doesn't seem to interfere that much with the benefits I get from IF.

Sue
Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 AM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW City Sue View Post
Angela, oftentimes it takes a while to settle in with IF and get our bodies and minds used to it. I've found that it is helpful to combine some mindfulness techniques and intuitive eating with IF. Also, I've noticed that there is an ebb and flow to my hunger and how much I eat from day to day and the more important thing is how things average out over a week's time. So hang in there. You're doing great.
Sue
Thanks I forgot to mention that i did keep the carbs down pretty well. about 20 grams. so that may help me out. when i first start LC i always end up eating a rediculous amout of calories. and i was making it a point to start watching my cals a little this time around because i am so close to goal and was not seeing movement on the scale I will shoot for a little less cals today and see how i feel. i felt like i litteraly NEEDED my veggies today for some%2

Last edited by Angelad653; 02-11-2010 at 05:07 AM..
Old 02-11-2010, 05:11 AM   #297
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:

Glad all is well.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #298

Quote:
If you've already restricted those foods from your woe, why would you want to add them back just because you are eating IF?

I think any change in the way you are eating that restricts whether it be calories, carbs, sugar, how quickly or how long you are allowed to eat will have some effect on the body. If you purposely try to eat as much food as possible, then yeah, it might not result in weight loss. The fact that you don't have regularly fluctuating blood sugar spikes can only be beneficial, as it is shown that increases in insulin and blood sugar encourage glucose and fat storage and inhibit fat burning.

It seems to me, if you do nothing else but limit the window and eat naturally, ( not gorging and not high carb binging) that your body will have more time and hence more opportunity to allow the blood sugar to get low enough to use glucose stores, and insulin low enough to allow fat release.

Pair this with Low carb eating and you will further assure that you do not have insulin spikes and high blood sugar and therefore your body will be sooner able to release the hormones that encourage fat burning.

A pound is so easy to gain or lose, It would not surprise me that if someone did eat Mcdonalds and bread and pasta and attempted IF simultaneously but conciously, that they could lose a pound a week, but off course that would not continue unless calories eventually restricted accordingly with the weight loss.

But I'm not a certitfied nutritionist or anything like that. . .
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
If you've already restricted those foods from your woe, why would you want to add them back just because you are eating IF?
Oh no no no, I would not add those foods in. I was speaking of a typical person's diet, and why a fasting diet would let them lose a pound a week while still eating those foods. Reading around, I saw plenty of people not low carbing on a fasting diet, so I assume these are things they still allow themselves (breads, pastas, potatoes, and probably fast food from time to time as well).

I was just saying that combining a low carb approach with a fasting approach should yield better results than what the person eating a standard american diet would get.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #300

Quote:
Oh no no no, I would not add those foods in. I was speaking of a typical person's diet, and why a fasting diet would let them lose a pound a week while still eating those foods. Reading around, I saw plenty of people not low carbing on a fasting diet, so I assume these are things they still allow themselves (breads, pastas, potatoes, and probably fast food from time to time as well).

I was just saying that combining a low carb approach with a fasting approach should yield better results than what the person eating a standard american diet would get.
Gotcha, You confused me there for a moment. But yeah, I think they could do it too. and I agree, I think LC would be a great advantage over SAD with IF.