Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathieinut
Stats: restart 209.6/162/145
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restart (4th time around) 5/18/09
Protein Power in 2010!

I have been reading Protein Power over the Christmas holidays and am really interested in starting this WOE for 2010...anyone want to join in?
I have done the calculations and find myself needing to loose about 28-35 lbs to be in the ideal weight catagory...so I thought it would be nice to have others join in and really get contol of our insulin and fat in 2010.

If you want to join...I would suggest you read the book first then do the calculations...then set a goal for the year.
Drs Eades say that it is important to visualize where you want to be in order to get there and I sooo agree!

So to get it started...
Read the book yes
did my measurements yes
did the calculations yes
find I need to weigh between 128-142 for an ideal weight
current weight 165 (aprox as I am not at home for the next few weeks)
want to loose 30 lbs plus
Remind Myself...Being thin is better than anything else tastes right now!
Current: 162 down 43.6 from re-start

Exercise this week: Mon,Tue,Wed,Thus, Fri, Sat off , Sun
Cathieinut is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
I'm in, Hubby wants to do the 6 week Challenge so I am going to do the first couple of weeks with him and then merge into PPLP (I need those first 2 weeks of 3 shakes and a meal to rid my body of this glutening!)

I'm mid way thru re reading the PPLP and will do the purist version. Our stats are similar!

Currently about 165 and need to get to about 135 so 30lbs to go
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gumdrops
Stats: 178/162/130 less than 20% BF
WOE: low, low carb Diabetic
Start Date: Feb 29 2003 restart 08-01-08
Hey Cathie, I will be picking up this book today! I do love the Eades and value their opinions. I will have to see if this plan will work for me as I am an insulin diabetic.
gumdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quitecontrary
Stats: 225.8/185/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 2014
Hello, Cathie! I am so glad you are starting this! About 5 years ago I lost 56 lbs. on the Protein Power plan. It does work, and I find it easier to follow than Atkins because it doesn't seem quite as restrictive with food choices. I kept it off for almost 2 years.

Sadly, I've gained all that back plus 14 lbs.! That's my fault; I got a divorce and a couple of years later remarried and let myself go. If I had stayed on maintenance I wouldn't be where I am today. I've been back on plan for 2 weeks except for overindulging during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I have gone from 210 lbs. to 201, then bounced up 2 lbs. after Christmas, but I lost one of those holiday lbs.

I love both of the Doctors' Eades. I have the older version of PP and I'll be re-reading it.

As of now my starting weight is 202.8. My ideal weight is 130 (I'm 5'1", large frame, 42 years old). I'm not pushing myself to get the weight off fast. In fact, the last time I did this plan I didn't weigh at all until I was down to 140 lbs. The scale messes with my head, but I may weigh once every couple of weeks. Also I have had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, so I'm not delusional about the fact that I will surely lose slower this time around.

Thanks again for starting this! I'm so looking forward to it!!!

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.-William Arthur Ward
quitecontrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hi to all who have commented so far.
We have a good starting group and I am looking forward to a better me in 2010.
Carol Ann thanks for showing that the plan does work. I understand your loss and gain. I bet most of us have been through this at least one time if not more!

gumdrops from what I have read you should be fine on the plan but that is something that you need to decide. I am a diabetic but med controled right now and that is one of my dreams to get off of meds!

maile I followed the 6 week plan thread and can see why it would be a good start. I keep waiting for DR Mike to start the blog for that book as he has promised. I have some questions that I would like to ask him but not get it all lost in his regular blog.

Pass the word everyone and let's see how many more will join us!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumdrops View Post
Hey Cathie, I will be picking up this book today! I do love the Eades and value their opinions. I will have to see if this plan will work for me as I am an insulin diabetic.
It should work very well for you, essentially you have no more than 7-10 net carbs per meal and a minimum amount of protein (how much depends on your starting weight)

I am celiac and can fit this woe quite well
Old 12-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bridgetlynn2000
WOE: protein power
Start Date: january 1, 2010
hi, im bridget from ohio and i will be joining the group. i also did this diet a few years ago and went from 189 to 120. i've gained some back and now weigh 170.8. My goal is to get to 120, which is the highest number for me to be healthy at 5'1" with small bones. i'll finish the book and do my measurements and stats. ttyl bridget
bridgetlynn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spryng
Start Date: 1/3/2010
Hello all!

I've been lurking and reading and soaking in all the protein power info I can. I bought Living Low Carb the other day and devoured it from cover to cover.The author reviews 38 low carb plans and rates them and pp got an excellent review and definitely got my attention... I knew I wanted to do low carb come jan but just didn't know which one. I've done atkins in the past and had sucess but I wanted something newer and fresher..I think I found it with pp. I have read the plan online so I know the basics to get started but I went ahead and ordered pp lifeplan off the net and should be here in about 3 days so I can read the actual book as well.
I'm 29 years old with 4 kids... the pregnancies took a toll on my body along with junk and binge eating. I've been battling my weight since I was 18 years old and I'm just tired of the game. I'm ready mentally and emotionally for something to stick with for life and this plan will be it for me. I'm 172 lbs right now which for me is a size 14 on my 5'4 frame and it's the largest I've ever been outside of pregnancy and I'm just miserable and loathing my body these days. My goal is to be a 130 lbs or a comfortable size 8 whichever comes first..so 42 lbs needs to go. I look forward to posting with you all and getting to know you better!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hi all
Just a quick post as I will be on a short trip for the next few days.
Left my book behind, but I am pretty sure my next step needs to be creating a food diary from the charts in the book to keep track of my protein and carbs. I also would like to try the weight lifting method Dr Mike talks about on his blog...but that will have to be for when I am back at home mid Jan.
When you do your measurements and get your "ideal" weight be sure to post...you don't have to put numbers but just that you have done that step!
Hi to Bridget and Spryng...nice to have you join us!
Be ready for a new year of a better YOU!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

hmm, I'm thinking a return to ******/myplate is in order, I'd been trying to estimate but that is NOT working. Thanks for the post Cathienut, think it was the bump needed to get going.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Hi everyone

I just started protein power yesterday. I first read the 30day low carb diet solution and it gives you really just the jist of what to do without the why. I have since bought protein power life plan.

I would love to join you guys for support. I recently had some surgery which side lined me longer than I thought. I gained 8pounds during recovery the last 2months. I ate low carb but just way to much. I think I will like PP because it gives me some portion control.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning Everyone!

I did my slim and 6tape this morning and darn near killed me!!! LOL but I loved it.

I am now have a protein shake with .....soy slender chocolate, whey protein, ice, tsp olive oil and Xantham gum to make it thick.

How is everyone doing???
Old 12-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quitecontrary
Stats: 225.8/185/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 2014
I'm doing very well! I have protein shakes, too. It helps to get my protein requirements for the day. I have them every other day or so.

I am sticking to 30 net carbs or less per day. My days vary, also. Some days I eat more than others. I also keep an eye on my calories. I am one of 'those' who have to if I want to lose weight. I'm 42 and post-hysterectomy, so weight loss is much more of a struggle than it used to be.

I hope everyone is doing well!
quitecontrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Glad to hear you doing well Carol Ann!!!

Its so cold here that I made a soup I wanted to share. I got it off the site under favorite soups

5cups chix broth
1/2cup dijon mustard
20oz of broccoli
4tablespoons of butter
2cups half and half (I used unsweeted soy slender to drop calories a bit)
1/4tsp Xantham gum

Boil broccoli in chix broth till tender then place in blender or food processor. Put butter in pan and melt..Add back in broccoli and mustard.

Then mix half and half (I used soy) with Xantham gum. whisk it good then add to broccoli.

Salt and pepper to taste..

The mustard really gave this soup a differant taste. It was low in carbs too. For 2cups =5carbs. When I reheated it today I put a tablespoon of cream cheese in it and melted it. It was so good and made it creamier. Yesterday I just put some chedder on top.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Happy New Year everyone!! I am still on track and feel good!
Old 01-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

So I will officially start this plan on sunday, the 3rd.. we have family here for new years visiting and they'll leave out saturday so I can go shopping, get stocked up on lc goodies and start right I want to make sure I start with no obstacles at first, no temptations at least for awhile, lol...
Did everyone else start today?
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I'm starting tomorrow (Saturday), just have to go over a portion of the book again to get some stuff down in my head
Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I have been sick for two days now!! Yuck! I am just trying to make sure I eat well. I was just feeling so good and then bang my little one gave me her cold. She wanted to share!

I am hoping to get back on track with exercise tomarrow.

How is everyone doing??
Old 01-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Today is day one for me and I'm soooo excited!! I went shopping last night and stocked up on lots of lc goodies so I have plenty of choices for this week.. I weighed in for my official starting weight and I just can't believe it, this is my all time high! I have 49 lbs to lose by June 19th... but I know with discipline and focus I can do it!!! Come on ladies, this is our year to never make losing weight our new years resolution AGAIN!!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I started today and finally stepped on the scale (something I had avoided for a month because of stress) was not happy to see up 10lbs since then but it's given me more incentive!

also did my measurements and am writing them down as specific goals to achieve
Old 01-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 265/180
Start Date: January 2010
I would like in also.

I have the book Protein Power but haven't done the calculations yet. I have a lot more to lose than many of you but would love to be a part of this group.
teachingrchildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Hello, hello everyone and Happy New Year...and a better you!

I have been enjoying my time in NC and our little trip to Williamsburg Va but I have had a few endulgences more than I had planned. I am not surprised because I do have a weekness for southern foods which is why it is a good thing I live in Utah now! LOL

I will probably have at least one more planned off-plan meal before returning on the 12th so I can't say I am officially on PP quite yet but since I have been going low carb now for about 8 months it's not so hard.
Nice to have some new posters join up and it doesn't matter how much you have to loose jump right in with comments, suggestions, successes and even failures so we can be supportive as possible.
One thing I have been trying to do is up my almost daily omlet with egg whites added in instead of cheese for the extra protein. It is hard to get the carbs at breakfast since I mostly have an omlet and sausage or bacon or ham each AM so I think a snack with the carbs before lunch would be a good idea?

If you don't get Dr E's posts by email on his blog it would be a good idea to sign up. It has been heavy with his new sous vide project but he still has plenty of good advice and does make comments to the comments (if you know what I mean) that often offer suggestions and ideas too.
Just wondering how many of you are taking the vitamines and supplements that he recomends? I do now take Krill oil and have started my DH on them too. I need to check out the suggestions on the others for when I return home.
Hope you all are measuring and weighing and have your goals in mind with your "ideal" weight goals all set!
Have a great day everyone and PP!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

evening all! just wanted to post my first day results.. it went great! I was a bit hungrier than usual.. like on a normal day for me I'm not a snacker, I only eat 3 meals a day and never after 6pm etc.. just have always been like that, but today my hunger was (and still is as I type) at an all time high.. so I included two snacks between my meals and they helped alot. Did you guys find you were hungrier?? I'm sure once ketosis kicks in my appetite will stablize again but for today I increased my protein and ate until satisfied and I came in about 20 carbs for the day, so well under my allowed and I feel great about it, my protein was WAY over my minimum so again, good news How did everyone else do today??
Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 265/180
Start Date: January 2010
First Day

Well, it's my first day and as I stated before I have a lot more to lose then most of you. I don't even want to post my weight but I will for accountablity reasons and support from all of you. I figure if I'm going to do this I might as well be accountable not only to myself but to a support group. I wasn't happy to find that I had gained 25 lbs from this summer to weight in at 265lbs. UGH! My goal is to weigh in at 180 lbs. Which means I have 85 lbs to lose!

I have always been very active, but would like to be more active and not so run down all of the time. I have two children and want to keep up with them!

I was wondering how many of you have done this program before and how much weight you have lost? I'm also interested in any inspiration stories.

Here goes nothing...I'm off to a good start.
teachingrchildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lovingmygirls
Stats: 170/ 162/130
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Jan 6/2010
Hi there....i want to join your group too. I haven't read the book yet, i plan on doing so by this weekend. I would love to Lose about 35-40 lbs.
lovingmygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Oh so nice to see you starting with your PP lifestyle

Spryng- Maybe you are just adjusting to being back in a weight loss mode...not able to just eat whatever and your brain is rebelling? LOL I think for me sometimes I get the boardom hunger, just need something to do, not real hunger. Try and keep busy and maybe try slowing down on eating? Not sure if it will help but Dr's E say you shouldn't be hungry. Also maybe some protein powder drink would help too?

Teaching- I know it's hard to think about how much weight you have gained but hurrah for you for biting the bullet. I just read that people who weigh...I think it was weekly...will keep off extra weight more often than those who just "guess" I hate the darn scale and Drs E say it isn't the best indicator of health and fat but it is the best thing available unless you can afford those tests like water weighing etc.
Make sure you take the time to measure and figure out what your "ideal weight range" is from the PP book but 180 sounds like a good goal for you.
I haven't done PP before but the science really does make sense and the Drs really do try to keep up on all the latest don't they?

Lovin- glad to have you join in and although the the PP book there is plenty of science it does help you understand the why's and how's of the system. Luckily they give you the "short version" method if you are pressed for time and need to get started.
OK, nuff from me today...I am doing my best to stay as close to plan as possible but tonight will be one of the planned off plan meals...sigh...I will be feeling it tomorrow LOL
Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Cathie, yeah I know from past experiance on atkins that I'll be ravenous until ketosis hits so hopefully only another day of this, lol.. but today I've managed it MUCH better. I drank more water instead of more snacks, lol.. yesterday I did have a high protein shake for lunch and it was good
Welcome Teaching! Don't be embarrased for posting your weight or your goals, we are all here to help! I lost over 70 lb a few years ago so I know how those numbers can seem so scary, but you can do it!!!
Welcome Lovingmygirls! I can't wait to get to know you all better!

Today is day 2 for me and it's gone well so far, I think I'm addicted to premade hamburger patties though, lol.. had one for breakfast with some sourcream on it (kinda like a makeshift taco) and it was yummy so I had another for lunch this time with sauteed mushrooms and sourcream and 1/2 an avocado and it was delicious!! I'm sure I'll have one everyday, lol.. Dinner is going to be chicken tenders with some mock mashed potatoes, one of my favorite side dishes and I'm hoping to not need any more snacks today, I had a serving of almonds earlier as a snack and then a string cheese a little bit ago to get me to dinner.. I'm still hungry between meals today but not like yesterday, that was crazy hungry, lol.. I do think it's mostly mental though, like cathie said, my body rebelling against me becuase my portions have been generous and my protein way over my daily minimum so I know I'm not starving at all, lol.. Plus I was back at work today (I work at home for a large medical insurance company) and I had to put in 10 hours so that kept me busier than over the weekend
How did the rest of you do today? what did you eat?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Day 3 is about to end, another great OP day my company is killing me with overtime this week so dinner is a quick and tasty high protein shake I just want to stretch out on the couch and relax until bedtime. I can tell I'm in ketosis now, yay!! I slept so good last night and had so much extra energy today! no more cravings and I'm less hungry! I knew this day would come! just had to get to day 3 so for all you doing this hang in there! the benefits and perks of low carb are sooo worth the initial 2-3 days of issues
Well I'm gonna hop off here and relax, it's been a LONG day.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Great to hear that things are going well Spryng.
I am glad to hear that after only 3 days you are feeling much better.

After doing what I had planned yesterday...eating fried fish, a few hushpuppies and some baked sweet potato I was sick as a dog...my system gets mad at me when I go off plan! LOL Today I ate clean but not sure as to my numbers as I am not measuring or keeping track as of now.

My vacation is almost over and I will be back to normal life soon...
Anyone else want to report in?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I'm on day 3 today, doing more of the 6WC (3 shakes and a meal) because my hubby is doing that plan and needs encouragement. But I'm only doing first 2 weeks and then into PPLP intervention mode.

so far down 1 lb but I'm also hypo so weight loss is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow for me (gains are at lightening speed tho )