Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: drewsmimi
WOE: CAD
Start Date: March 12, 2010
Dr. Bernstein's Plan...and Some Adjustments

Would love to see his plan have a regular thread. Also am wondering what you do to humor your sweet tooth Any ideas would be appreciated.
drewsmimi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
A big mug of tea or coffee (w/cinnamon stick) usually does the trick for me

I love hot cocoa as well (heavy cream, a bit of water, unsweetened cocoa, stevia)

A tablespoon of PB tastes sweet to me for some reason

I do have alternative LC baked goods (from recipes) from time to time, but I try not to often, since it triggers mental cravings.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: farleywilbur
I am on Bernstein and love a mug of hot water, spenda and a big piece of lemon or lime squeezed into it. Kind of like hot lemonade but takes a while to drink especially if you use really boiling water. I have this every night after dinner.
farleywilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
I'd like to see his plan have a regular thread, too. I've been trying the sipping a cup of water with lemon juice in it, rather than drinking tea or decaf, it's nice.

For something sweet:
I make things from unsweetened gelatin, sometimes with butter, sometimes with cream cheese. Berries or lemon juice, stevia leaves, sometimes stevia powder.

A tablespoon or two of almond butter satisfies the desire for sweets for me.

I've been enjoying reading Dr. B's "Diabetes Diet" and reading things by him on the web.
I like eating things that don't make my blood sugar "jump around". It's a calm way to eat, as much of a change as it was going grain-free and legume-free, or switching for low carb to VLC.

I don't do eat many sweet things, as I don't know what the taste of sweet triggers physically. I do know that it can trigger my wanting to eat more sweets.

Hope some others interested in Dr. B's diet post.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shebasmudder
Stats: 230/212/160
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/15/14
I have two of his books but haven't cracked them yet. I will be subscribing since I am diabetic.

Meanwhile I am taking homeopathic hcg for weight loss.
shebasmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Wow! I'm so glad I found this thread. I love the Bernstein plan and lost weight on it terrifically well, without worrying about calories or fat. My measuring stick was my glucose meter. Now that I know what I can eat I don't have to test all the time either, and that's great...saves me money!

I still love my sweet things, but am happy with just a little bit. I make some desserts with xylitol and they are wonderful and don't seem to trigger me too badly. Once in a while I eat a couple too many pieces of what I make, but that just serves to make me feel full and not want anymore for a while. Xylitol does not raise my blood sugar or set me up for cravings.

Specifically I make peanut butter fudge and chocolate fudge, and sometimes low carb soft serve ice cream that is just heavy cream, xylitol and vanilla. I recently made some banana nut muffins that are great and only have 4 effective carbs each.

I am still trying to lose a little around the waistline; I figure 10 lbs would do it. Cutting carbs down to 20 a day seems to be working.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
Wow! I'm so glad I found this thread. I love the Bernstein plan and lost weight on it terrifically well, without worrying about calories or fat. My measuring stick was my glucose meter. Now that I know what I can eat I don't have to test all the time either, and that's great...saves me money!

I still love my sweet things, but am happy with just a little bit. I make some desserts with xylitol and they are wonderful and don't seem to trigger me too badly. Once in a while I eat a couple too many pieces of what I make, but that just serves to make me feel full and not want anymore for a while. Xylitol does not raise my blood sugar or set me up for cravings.

Specifically I make peanut butter fudge and chocolate fudge, and sometimes low carb soft serve ice cream that is just heavy cream, xylitol and vanilla. I recently made some banana nut muffins that are great and only have 4 effective carbs each.

I am still trying to lose a little around the waistline; I figure 10 lbs would do it. Cutting carbs down to 20 a day seems to be working.
I would love to see your recipes especially for the fudge ! I use stevia to sweeten. Sugar alcohols wreak havoc on my system.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Hi Stinastina,

I know what you mean. Fortunately for me, I can tolerate some sugar alcohols.
The peanut butter fudge recipe is in the recipe section under candy. Here are the other two. I'm thinking I just adapted them from other recipes. I want to find a good one for gingerbread, and ginger cookies. I had some good ones I was making in the microwave, a few at a time, but forgot now how I did it. I kept fiddling with recipes I found, but not writing it down when things worked!

I hope you like these as much as I do:

Chocolate Fudge

1/2 cup butter (last time I made this I used 1/2 as much butter which the nutritional info. reflects. )

entire square unsweetened chocolate

3 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda (1/2 this amount of xylitol)

2/3 cup whey protein powder, chocolate flavor, 2 scoops

Melt the butter and chocolate and xylitol together in the microwave on HIGH for 1-2 minutes; whisk well. Whisk in the cream cheese until well blended and smooth. Whisk in the whey protein powder and blend well. Line a 7 x 5" baking dish with wax paper or nonstick foil. Spread the fudge mixture in the pan and freeze until set. Cut into 20 squares. Store in the refrigerator or freeze. Will be firmest this way, esp. after couple of days. Cut into 20 pcs
Calories each piece: 57
F: 4.1g C: .7g P: 2g

Banana Bread or Muffins

Banana bread recipe adapted from foccacia bread recipe: Can make 18 muffins instead: Use 1-/1/2 banana, 1/3 c. walnuts, 7 tbs. xylitol, and hazlenut oil. Divide batter into 18 muffin cups.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes - 30 minutes (tooth pick test works well)
Ingredients:
• 2 cups flax seed meal
• 1 Tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 5 beaten eggs (try 4 to make a little less eggy? then adjust #'s)
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/3 cup oil (walnut oil good)
• 1-1/2 bananas
• 1/3 c. walnut pieces
• 7 tbs. xylitol
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. 18 muffin cups will do.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Smash bananas, add other wet ingredients. Add wet to dry, and combine well.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto loaf pan or muffin cups.

5) Bake for about 20-30 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is. Or use toothpick to test for doneness.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. Below is for 12 slices, or 18 muffins. Each muffin:

1/12 = 225 calories, 8 grams fat, 8.7 g carbs (2 are sugar alcohols )6.5g protein

Each muffin= 150 cals, 5.5g. fat, 4.2 grams carbs, (effective carbs) 4.5g protein
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Those sound good, Girondet ! Too bad bananas spike me and cooking them would probably release additional sugars. I can do green bananas fried like french fries ! I will definitely try the fudge since I am a chocoholic.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I wish the fudge was just a little stiffer, for cutting up, but OMG it is so good!!
Very chocolatey and chewy.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I wish the fudge was just a little stiffer, for cutting up, but OMG it is so good!!
Very chocolatey and chewy.
I just put a batch of the fudge in the freezer - that batter is YUM !! I could have ate it unfrozen !!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Is anyone still following this thread. I just found it. I read a book by Dr. Bernstein years ago and tried to find other followers then. No luck! Maybe someone will see this and respond.

I am a tough time staying low-carb and I am just now getting off insulin again. I'd love to hear some happy results.
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Hi, and welcome.

I've had good results on Bernstein's plan. I started it in May 2009 and had lost all my weight by the end of the year. I was watching my blood sugar and the weight just came right off! I would like to lose a few more lbs. My blood sugar readings are very good, so that's no problem anymore.

Fruits, grains, and milk don't work well for me and my bgs, so I mostly do not indulge in those with tiny exceptions. I've found good low carb substitutes for everything I like to eat.

I couldn't be happier! I've never been able to keep weight off before.

Tell us about yourself!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine View Post
Is anyone still following this thread. I just found it. I read a book by Dr. Bernstein years ago and tried to find other followers then. No luck! Maybe someone will see this and respond.

I am a tough time staying low-carb and I am just now getting off insulin again. I'd love to hear some happy results.
I have the books but haven't read them. On the diabetes forum I belong to, they love him. Why are you going off insulin ?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Off Insulin . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinastina View Post
I have the books but haven't read them. On the diabetes forum I belong to, they love him. Why are you going off insulin ?
I have been having low blood sugar readings and they seem to be okay w/o the insulin. I cut back gradually. Always remember though, once diabetic, always diabetic. I was almost hospitalized for cellutitis last week. I was put on two different antibiotics instead. It seems to be under control now.

If I low-carb, my sugars are good. If I start with the sugar (don't care for wheat so much) my sugars go ballistic.

What are you reading now? Is anyone else on the diabetic forum on Bernstein?

dew
Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

About me:

I hope this will become a support for me. I'm stubborn and always think I can go it alone. I have weighed as high as 358 lbs and as low as 135. I am 5' 8" and I think I would be comfortable at 175 or so. I'm 60 and have two children, 41 and 37 and five grandchildren, 21, 19, 18, 16 and 15. They have no plans to make me a great yet, TG!

I took disability retirement in 2004 after being injured on the job in 2000. I give my time and talents away now. I do graphic and web design and I also work with the homeless. After all these years in retirement, I finally feel like I am starting to build a life for myself. I am also trying to quit my co-dependent ways and those people don't like the closing of my wallet. My new mantra is, "You don't have to love me, but you have to respect me." So far it's working but I have not seen hide nor hair of them, nor any phone calls. Sigh! I won't mention names.

I like to garden but have difficulty because of my injuries. I also like home projects (my house is a project) but again am limited because of my injuries. Money is so tight now too. I sure would love to have the money to have it done my way while I watch and then enjoy the beauty and pleasure of a home well done.

I have two cats (one 5 years, the other 5 months.) I just put my 5 yr-old in hospital this morning. It may just be a UTI. I have a 15+ yr old Brittany Springer Spaniel. They are all rescued from abusive homes.

Well that should be more than anyone wanted to know. LOL! Thanks for the welcome giondet.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine View Post
I have been having low blood sugar readings and they seem to be okay w/o the insulin. I cut back gradually. Always remember though, once diabetic, always diabetic. I was almost hospitalized for cellutitis last week. I was put on two different antibiotics instead. It seems to be under control now.

If I low-carb, my sugars are good. If I start with the sugar (don't care for wheat so much) my sugars go ballistic.

What are you reading now? Is anyone else on the diabetic forum on Bernstein?

dew
Good for you ! I am on byetta & amaryl. I lost 16 pounds effortlessly on byetta earlier this year but had to stop because of the expense. Now I seem to be struggling with it. My last a1c was 6.9 - my doctor thinks that's great but I would like to make it better. I also have tried homeopathic hcg on a VLCD but lately I have not been able to get myself back on track.

I'm not reading anything now - that's a big problem - picking up a book to read ! There are quite a few people on Bernstein on the diabetes forum.. Just go to diabetesforums.com. They are very helpful over there and lots of people who have been there for years and are very active. Some have been able to go completely off meds but manage their bs with low carb or supplements. There have a low carb recipes, too.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Hi again, Dewdrop!

I hope you get over the cellulitis soon, and that your kitty gets well pronto. It sounds like you are a kind person with a pretty good amount of energy....and that's a very good thing!

I agree with you on the whole codependent thing...we have to let people handle their own problems as far as possible....oh, so much trouble for us when we don't!

Yes the diabetesforum site is a great one and also diabetesdaily. I subscribe to both of those, with a different name. They helped me learn a lot about diabetes and I now have even more confidence that the Bernstein way is best for me personally. This site we are on is not just for diabetes of course, but it's so supportive of low carb, and I need that....plus the awesome recipes!!
Old 09-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
Hi everyone! I am a type 1 who is heading back to the Bernstein way after experimenting the last 2 years with raw vegan dieting. I am still not eating beef, and little chicken, but am eating eggs and cheese no problem-

I am looking for my blood sugars to stabilize- keeping my fingers crossed. I had a bad illness 2 weeks ago- still recovering from it, so it will take time for my numbers to get back down. I have faith in Bernstein- it works!!
I'd love to see a category for us here- till then let's post here!
clairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Hi Clairie, nice to have you here! How did vegan work for you?

I hope you will be completely recovered soon!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I can't find my Bernstein books so I went on Amazon on the weekend and ordered both. I ordered the older one that I had. I hope the new edition didn't have 'new' information that I needed. All I got from his site was that he was now recommending supplements like Hoodia. I don't need that. I an anxious to see his recipes.

I used to make a recipe that I think I got from here for a cheesecake. It was divine!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

When I need recipes I google low carb (whatever I'm looking for a recipe for) and find many wonderful choices. I also use the recipes on this site and on diabetes forums. The recipes I most look for are the ones people rave about, LOL!! They are really good, generally.

My Bernstein book has good ones, but somewhat limited in number. I will always keep Bernstein around as my diabetes bible; lol....in case I start forgetting why I have to eat like this....I'm with you on hoodia.....I have heard people say that L-glutamine helps with cravings....I would hate to take 2-3 pills before every meal, but if I ever have to I will. Usually if I keep my carbs down, my cravings stay down too.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

I lent my book out, but I know the diet really well.Recipes are helpful from it too- again, I stick tot he 6-12-12 ratio as close as I can get and come up with ideas on my own.
I saw a cheesecake and a pizza recipe on this site that I am going to try...

Dessert last night was a couple teaspoons of coconut butter and some raw cacao powder ( tsp) with splenda. super tasty. I like the coconut butter better for this than coconut oil. It's so rich and totally satisfies with a teeny bit.

this morning my blood sugars were 124- much better than the 200 or 300 I have been waking up to. (type 1 and being sick really sucks)
breakfast was eggs and cheese- big surprise!! already thinking about making that cheese pizza for lunchie..
Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
When I need recipes I google low carb (whatever I'm looking for a recipe for) and find many wonderful choices. I also use the recipes on this site and on diabetes forums. The recipes I most look for are the ones people rave about, LOL!! They are really good, generally.

My Bernstein book has good ones, but somewhat limited in number. I will always keep Bernstein around as my diabetes bible; lol....in case I start forgetting why I have to eat like this....I'm with you on hoodia.....I have heard people say that L-glutamine helps with cravings....I would hate to take 2-3 pills before every meal, but if I ever have to I will. Usually if I keep my carbs down, my cravings stay down too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
I lent my book out, but I know the diet really well.Recipes are helpful from it too- again, I stick tot he 6-12-12 ratio as close as I can get and come up with ideas on my own.
I saw a cheesecake and a pizza recipe on this site that I am going to try...

Dessert last night was a couple teaspoons of coconut butter and some raw cacao powder ( tsp) with splenda. super tasty. I like the coconut butter better for this than coconut oil. It's so rich and totally satisfies with a teeny bit.

this morning my blood sugars were 124- much better than the 200 or 300 I have been waking up to. (type 1 and being sick really sucks)
breakfast was eggs and cheese- big surprise!! already thinking about making that cheese pizza for lunchie..
I have carb cravings really bad especially around TOM. I have never seen coconut butter - where did you find that ? I love the coconut bark recipe ! I made some variations with a few drops of DaVinci's kahlua syrup or added shredded coconut to it for a faux almond joy.

The challenge for me is using stevia to bake. i find that more often than not, my recipes come out tasting bitter and not sweet. On the diabetes forum, they don't recommend splenda. And I find I gain weight if I eat cream cheese.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Stinastina, I don't really know what to suggest for a sweetener since the sugar alcohols don't agree with you. I never liked Splenda, but did use it some in the past. On its own and in the DaVinci syrups. When I flavor baked goods with cinnamon I find I don't care about sweetener as much, as it seems to be a little sweet on its own. Same with coconut.

Yikes, about cream cheese.....I do depend on it sometimes....I depend on almond milk too, especially if I can't get to sleep due to hunger. I don't start eating in the middle of the night, as that ruins my bg numbers, fasting especially.....hence a little almond milk.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I buy DaVinci syrups at my Cash and Carry really cheap. I usually buy just chocolate but bought a Kahlua. I tried it in my coffee which is where I use the chocolate. Yuck! I'll try to locate coconut butter. Where did you find yours? What's your recipe; just the butter and the syrup? I use the little packets and try to carry some with me as you won't find them in restaurants. I make a simple lemonade at a restaurant sometimes. I order ice water with a slice of lemon. To that I add two packets of splenda; viola lemonade! Sweet!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

here's a link to the coconut butter I eat. artisana coconut butter - Google Product Search I buy mine at Whole Foods. It's really tasty. I add a splenda packet and a teaspoon of cacao powder which I also get at Whole Foods or online. A little goes a long way!

Battling giardia right now- got it from some kittens that were infected. yuck. 10 days of hardcore anti parasite meds. TMI sorry!

Shredded coconut sounds good to top the coconut butter recipe.

what ya 'll eating today?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Not TMI at all Clairie. I just got thru with a ten day course of two antibiotics for cellulitis. That antibiotic stuff is killer. They were torn between that and putting me in the hospital with IV antibiotics. I had to go to a long meeting yesterday and I wasn't sure I could hold out that long. LOL! I made it . . . then my SUV wouldn't start. It's in the hospital today (auto repair). My cat is going back to the Vet. It rained really heavy yesterday. Some days are just plain better than others.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pattygirl
Stats: 237.4/231.2/135
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: restart December 2013
I am recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes in June. I just found this thread. I've ordered Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and should get it tomorrow. Just from reading what you have written here and over on the diabetic thread, I felt that I need the book. I've read some on his website and believe this is the way to get control. I noticed someone mentioned the 6-12-12 woe and get the impression that you eat 30 grams of carbs a day. Am I getting that right? I'm supposed to get my book tomorrow. If y'all decide to keep this thread going, I definitely want to be a part of it.

Patty

I will Eat to Live! I will NOT Live to Eat!
I WILL NOT ALLOW FOOD TO HAVE ANY
POWER OVER ME!!!
Pattygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Yes....6-12-12 refers to 6g carbs for breakfast, 12g for lunch, and 12g for dinner, generally in the form of non-starchy veggies. You will see when you get the book, and I think you will be very happy to have it!!

Welcome!!!