Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Great to hear you're doing better dewdrop! You almost sound like your "old" self again...
Did you say, "What did you have for 'your' holiday meal?" I can't use the excuse of the holiday's for eating well, if I did I'd have a laundry list a yard long to tell you.
One of the greatest gifts from this lifestyle is, my wife has reduced here weight by 45 lbs since about April 2010. Not bad, ahey?
About the Stella cookbooks, I now have three of my own and don't need to run to the library. I usually buy good used books from "A" .That should hold me for while.

Hey RealFoodLiving welcome to the best of the LCers. May I call you Real or Food or Living?
Nice article about almonds. Whew, if almonds are purported to be so good for health I should be Methuselah. I eat almonds like it's going out of style including things I make at home with almond flour. I hope your health (T2) improves buy following Dr. B's book.
It helped me beyond my expectations. I'm not diabetic but had very high triglycerides and low HDL for a long time. I tried every thing without success that is until I followed the advise in Dr.B's book. Now, no more cholesterol meds my trigs plunged from 385 to 75 and my HDL continues to improve. And, as I already mentioned my wife's weight loss and she's also hypo. Both of us are trilled with her results to say the least...
Hope you do well and please follow the book...
Dr. B will be web casting tonight 8 pm EST so if you're interested check it out...

Last edited by dogman; 12-29-2010 at 10:30 AM..
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Hey RealFoodLiving welcome to the best of the LCers. May I call you Real or Food or Living?
Hi Dogman,
Thank you for the welcome! You can call me RFL

Great news about your wife, good job!

I'll try to listen to Dr. B tonight and pull out my books. Thanks for the encouragement!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

OK, RFL, I hope you realize you are now associating yourself with the elite "The Bersteinians" are the best. Pardon my modesty but humility is my best quality...

Last edited by dogman; 12-29-2010 at 10:49 AM..
Old 12-30-2010, 04:12 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, all. Dr. Bernstein's talk is still available on replay this morning. I'm going to listen to it several times.

One of his statements that stood out (not his exact words):

Carbohydrates are like any narcotic, any addicting drug. Eating carbohydates causes an addiction to carbohydrates.

His diet just makes so much sense.

Sending you all best wishes for a very good day.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Auntie,
Do you have the link for hearing the replay. I can't seem to find it and I'd really like to hear it if it's still available. I was unable to hear it last night.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Dogman.

I hope it's allowed to post the link:

http://instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=16397607

I found it fascinating. I'm glad the replay is available. It's too late for me to listen at night.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-30-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Dr B

Thanks Auntie Em for the link. I'm bookmarking it. I'm in bed for about another 3 weeks. I haven't tried the option of downloading the mp3 but I want to. It sure would be nice to be able to pass it along to others. I bought my favorite BIL the book. He uses insulin to control his diabetes.

I admire Dogman and Mrs. Dogman for following the low-carb way B4 they became diabetic. Not only are they LCers but they are uber Bernsteinians.

I have an addictive compulsive personality. It's tough not to eat the non LC stuff that are constantly being offered to me. I want to go stagger around the grocery store tomorrow; we'll see!

Oh at the hospital, funny but more pathetic than funny:
Breakfast: gray slime in a bowl (perhaps cream of wheat?)
white toast with jam
coffee
2% milk
I explained that I couldn't eat anything on the plate but kept the milk.
2nd tray came . . . Yes, I clearly expressed my need for a high protein diet
pankcakes with syrup! I did get a carton of full fat milk. I could have benefitted by staying 'in' longer but I saw problems with healing if I couldn't get my protein.

Sad fact: The VA has the 'meals' cooked and frozen in Medford Oregon and transported the next day to Portland (about a 4 hour drive.) I can tell you horror stories about VA served meals.

It's nice to be connected to the outside world again. It's so nice to be able to be here.

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BarbInAL
Stats: 415/less/much less
Start Date: a long time ago in a land far away
Are there any big differences between Bernstein and Atkins?
BarbInAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #249
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
This thread has been an encouragement to me as I read it all. I am Type 2 and overweight. My problem is I am more hungry in the evenings and struggling to stay lowcarb.
I am on insulin and Metformin.
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Dewdrop, am sending you lots of good thoughts. It'd be grand if someone could bring you real food.

BarbinAL, yes, huge differences. Dr. Bernstein's plan is 30 grams of carbs per day, 6 for breakfast, 12 for lunch and 12 for supper. Constant amounts of protein from breakfast to breakfast, lunch to lunch, etc., from day to day. Lists of foods to avoid due to their raising the blood sugar too much or too quickly. Best thing to do is to read the books. There is no way to explain everything in Dr. Bernstein's book without typing the whole book. It is inspiring, very informative, and a great diet for anyone, even those who are not diabetic.

Butternut, I don't know if it is true for everyone, but for me, avoiding the taste of sweet makes it easy to stay away from sweets. Have you got Dr. Bernstein's book? When I need to clean up my eating or thinking about how I approach eating, I enjoy reading parts of his book over and over. The Bernstein forum is a great help, too. There are many more who post there than in this wee thread. Posting links to other forums is not allowed, so you'll have to do an internet search.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:06 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BarbInAL
Stats: 415/less/much less
Start Date: a long time ago in a land far away
Anyone know if Bernstein is the one who says current A1C and glucose guidelines are insane and that any time blood sugar goes over 120 there is beta cell damage?
BarbInAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbInAL View Post
Anyone know if Bernstein is the one who says current A1C and glucose guidelines are insane and that any time blood sugar goes over 120 there is beta cell damage?
Howdy Barb!

Yes Dr B has a very strict plan, I think all of us modify it a bit. I know I am not of iron will. He does say keep it under 120!

And Butternut! If you cruise the recipe section and the rest of this thread . . . you'll find many a way to satisfy your sweet tooth. (If you can tolerate artificial sweeteners!) I'm hearing wonderful things about almond flour and I posted the best cheesecake (Splenda) ever. You won't know you are eating LC.

Real food and cabin fever are making me consider an adventure to the grocery store. I shouldn't - but I have issues with having rules to follow. Forever a rebel w/o a cause.

dew
Old 12-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Happy New Year Bersteiners! I'm having shrimp and lobster by the fireplace for New Year's Eve dinner and tomorrow I'm starting the new year by recommitting to sticking with <30 total carbs every day and watching my protein intake more closely as well. BG's have crept up a bit and it's time to get even more careful.

Hi butternut. The evenings are hardest for me too. I take my metformin in the morning and wonder if that's part of the problem but if I take it at night I'm up even more often to pee. I just eat a slice of meat or a boiled egg and try to tough it out.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Dewdrop,Thanks for the complements, I missed you while you were away. Mrs. Dogman say Hi, also I'll be in San Diego CA next week I'll turn to face North and yell hello to you up the coast line...

Auntie Em, thanks for the link. I was able to hear the rerun of the web cast.

BarbInAL, you may notice as I have that Atkins goes through "phases" in their program and if I'm not mistaken they reintroduce no-no foods back in. I believe Dr.B's thinking on this subject is why go back to the foods that got you in trouble. On a different note thought I tried some of those Atkins bars from the store and I'll tell you they spiked by BG but that was before I knew better.

It's great to see some new names appearing on this thread, welcome and keep coming back.

Butternut, have you tried jello (not made with Maltodextrin) with some whipped cream to hold you over. I'll admit I use the jello with maltodextrin and it seems to be OK with me, if I make it along with a packet of unflavored gelatin . This might be my secret weapon to counter act the effect of the maltodextrin. I need to conduct more tests on the guinea pig , me

Last edited by dogman; 01-04-2011 at 08:56 AM..
Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, both Barry Groves and Peter Dobromylskyj have written about how eating fat with fruit keeps the blood sugar from rising too quickly. I would guess this would be true for the whipping cream along with the malto-dextrin, as well. The tradition of eating fruit and cheese together, or serving heavy cream over berries makes sense.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-04-2011 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 01-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Oh boy, where as everyone gone? I was away for a while and thought there'd be plenty of chit chat going on.
Back from San Diego; What a great place to visit. Great weather to say the least. People and their dogs; all over the place,ah.
One thing that was so obvious there, was the fitness of the poplulation , very refreshing.
Anyone into herb teas? I bought a really neat "tea maker" . It's called Chantal, The great thing about it is it, looks great too.It comes with cup, the sainless steel infuser and the ceramic lid. Looks great too and it makes loose tea brewing real easy.
BTW does anyone ever check the accuracy of their BG monitor. I checked mine recently and noticed it was higher by 10 with a different brand. I guess that's not really a big deal but for me that could mean a FG of 99 or 89. Naturally, I don't expect two monitors to be exactly the same but I'm wondering which one to believe.

Last edited by dogman; 01-16-2011 at 05:53 PM..
Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

I'm finally back - sort of!

Hey Dogman, glad to see you. I lived in SD when Dearly Departed was in the Navy. He was stationed twice so we did about four years. I got a kick out of the green lawns that were concrete, painted green. LOL!

I am finally getting up and out a bit. I'm still not following my regimen. I haven't gained or lost but I have a couple of high BGs. Yikes! I'll do anything to stay off the insulin. It's not fun and the finger poke is the worst of it.

I do need some inspiration so hopefully you've awakened the others. It's terribly wet here in the Pacific NW.

dew
Old 01-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Hey dewdrop,
You sound better just from the sound of your letters.
Hope you continue to make progress.

Well, it's back to reality for me back at home. BLAH. I like home but i sure like the the sunny skys of SD. In the pool and livin life like a Roman. The rosemary plants there are as big as a small tree. And little lemon trees so cute. Call me crazy but I would ruffle my shirt on the rosemary shrubs to get the sent on it. Ah love that smell...

Also, the great thing about the little vacation is I didn't gain and ounce of weight and eat like a little pig (oink). The other nice thing with San Diego is the great weather,.... was nice to take long enjoyable walks near the ocean every day, Ah!
OK now the bad thing... that Freeway is a mad house of unsafe drivers. Whew!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member

SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Hey dewdrop,
OK now the bad thing... that Freeway is a mad house of unsafe drivers. Whew!
My thought exactly! I haven't been back since the about 1987. I remember moving there from Richmond Virginia. If you aren't able to parallel park at 60 mph then you'd better not get on the freeway. I can't imagine that it could be worse now but it might be.

Getting out has done me a world of good. I am able to do my own shopping and get lots of practice talking to and dissing the carbs.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

"...get lots of practice talking to and dissing the carbs."

That's sooo funny.

I'm getting a book from the library call "Dangerous Grains". I'm continually amazed to learn how unhealthy grains really are. It seems that carbs are blamed for just about everything. Wonder if it might even explain why our politicians are so batty.
Dewdrop, since your getting out and doing some shopping are you also cooking some interesting LC meals?
I'm still going strong on my "Breadless Bread Pudding". I almost can't get enough, breakfast,snacks ...Oh, I feel the pull right now. Later.....

Last edited by dogman; 01-17-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I like that too about dissing the grains, oops I mean carbs!

I've missed you guys!

I've been busy and had a couple bouts with passing bugs....happened when I was helping with new little family members....

Other than that I'm about the same as before the holidays hit! It's wonderful to be back and see Newbies and see that you are doing great DEW, and taking it slowly like you should, and that you enjoyed your vacation in San Diego, DOGMAN!

One day not long ago I heard there was snow in 49 out of the 50 states. Only Florida was spared! I wonder if that's ever happened before!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
: One day not long ago I heard there was snow in 49 out of the 50 states. Only Florida was spared! I wonder if that's ever happened before!
I know FL has had snow in the past. I lived in Tampa but it didn't snow there in those years. OJ suffers when FL freezes but goodness knows . . . how many people need OJ unless they are in an extreme low BG situation!

I'm glad I am able to do some of my volunteer work online. I am glad to be able to sit now instead of tapping on the laptop from a reclining position. I am feeling a lot of relief and actually believe things are going to be so much better for me - definitely life changing.

TMI . . . I had my 2nd Golden Senior Moment before my surgery. Now I am scheduled for an appt. I have diverticulitus. I am afraid that they may tell me that I can't eat seeds and ??? I do like fruit in small doses. I planted raspberries a few years ago. I love that I can go get a handful some mornings. I know, C A r Bs. I was told they removed a "harmless" polyp. Getting old is heck and then some.

I'm not cooking much Mr. Dogman, sir. I make simple things so far. I did some pork chops to die for. Even cold the next day, the leftover one was smashing. I might like the bread pudding when I'm up to snuff.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Hey girondet, Yeah San Diego was really nice. The weather was similar to the month of May here in Massachusetts. From what the locals say, they don't get get prolong humidity. That's one big reason I can't stand Florida's weather. I sure wouldn't mind moving to that area but definitely not too near the city, too crowded but nice to visit for a short while. People there sure seem to enjoy being outdoors and walking their dogs. I wondered when they worked or what they do for work. Prices in general there seem to be almost double compared to where I live. I'm sure the locals know where the bargains are.

Now I'm certain you're feeling much better dewdrop, I can detect it in your voice a bit frisky I'd say... I enjoy my garden also. I've been garden by the "Square Foot Gardening" method for many years and for me it's the best way. You get a lot from a small space.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Hi all. Just checking in to confirm I'm still on board with Bernstein.

So glad you are feeling better Dewdrop!

Dogman - I've made the bread pudding several times - tasty. This week I've tried "Emerald cocoa roast" almonds. Yummy but I have to limit to a small handfull daily. Easy chocolate fix.

Hi Girondet!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
I just wanted to pop in and say hi...Hi Girondet!! Yes, I am back on the boards 27 pounds down. It is coming off, albeit so slow!!! I have been lurking these posts for a while, and just want to let you all know that I am following the good Doctor with some adjustments. LOL
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Hi shunsweets, Whew! You sure are getting your walking in...you must have decent weather where you live, I guess .
I'm still eating the breadless breading pudding and loving it. Today as a matter of fact I made a batch and added some low cal hot chocolate (because it's low in carbs) to give it a chocolate taste then when it was finished cooking I added some chopped almonds on top and some whipped cream, yummy. This pudding for me is pretty adaptable to how I feel you might say. Next time I'm thinking of adding some kind of flavored jello, maybe orange. Diet ? What diet???

Hi fourstubbs, Nice doggy avatar. OOO protect me from that killer pooch. Got to love those dogs, they're the best psychologist out there. Great to have you visit us Holy Moley! you're been a member since 2004 ?!

If anyone is interested,"Ask Dr. Bernstein Webcast" and conference call on Wednesday Jan. 26, 2010 at 7PM CST, 8PM EST and 5PM West Coast Time.

Last edited by dogman; 01-20-2011 at 06:45 AM..
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, thanks for the info on the next broadcast.

Do any of you keep your carb intake lower than 30, or do you follow Dr. B's 6-12-12?

I wonder how he settled on 30 and not 20 or 25, or lower.

Best wishes to all.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-20-2011 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Auntie Em, you're welcome.

For me, I don't get too involved to the exact numbers but I'm very aware of what I eat if that makes any sense. After a while of experience you know what's what if your carbs are too high. When I first started following Dr.B I was writing and logging what I eat and how it effected my BG. Now, with that knowledge I just check my BG once or twice a day just to be sure I'm on track. I'd be willing to bet that I'm very close to 30 carbs a day and that if on very rare occasions I might ingest 50 but that's the max.

If you read Dr.B's most recent book he has a section in there called "the law of small numbers" and also "the dawn phenomenon". The dawn phenomenon, that's when our fasting blood glucose readings in the morning are higher than when we went to bed. So in order to prevent those numbers from getting too far of course he recommends only 6 carbs in the morning.
For the law on small numbers it's really a matter of trying to consume a limited about of carbs in order to cover the reaction of the increase of BG with the least amount of insulin needed. That's a very brief description for the 6-12-12 and that's why he apparently settled on 30 carbs per day.
There will be a test on this material on Monday ...
He's got all the experience of all those year behind him and his advise has helped me shatter my trigs and increase my HDL without meds. I'm indebted to him ...
Hope this helps...

Last edited by dogman; 01-20-2011 at 09:37 AM..
Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, thanks for your post. I am very familiar with Dr. B's book and his theory of small numbers, and I eat VLC.

My question must not have been clear enough.

Small numbers can mean even smaller than his recommended 30.

I would like to know if there is a biochemical reason for the 30 and not lower. I have just sent in the question to Dr. B himself.

Here is the form for sending questions for Dr. B to answer on the broadcasts, if anyone would like to ask Dr. B a question.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-20-2011 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: spacing error
Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Oooops, sorry Auntie Em I was barking up the wrong tree.

Though I must say it's probably almost not practicable to eat much lower than 30 carbs a day, even low carb veges have some carbs especially when cooked unless you want to eat meat and little else.