Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post

DEW, how have you been doing? Operations done?
Alive, shaky and at the mercy of others. I can only hold my eyes open ffor a few minutes. Can't find the keys on my keyboard. Diszzy, nausauted and praying for a mircale redof34y.

i'm hih on m3eds tpp/

Wriete aaing at a better time3.

hugwa
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Dewdrop, hope you get back to normal soon...
girondet, sounds like you're really busy cooking up some decent meals. I like your spirit of taking control concerning the foods you want to eat. I'm with you there.
I've been on a cooking binge also. I've even been expanding my menu to include almond crackers. I've even gotten rather exotic and make avocado dip to go with the crackers. Not bad, aye?
On a sad note though I had to say goodbye to my companion on November 24th. We had him for almost 11 years. Our dog brought us so much happiness, we were blessed when he came into our lives. If nothing else we have only the best memories to remember him. Someone whom my wife works with was so nice as to let us borrow their dog for a weekend whenever we want for some puppy love. Boy, that's what I call a very caring person and someone who knows how good dogs make us feel so much better.
Hey dewdrop, when you get to up to it, go hug a dog, you'll feel so good after...LOL
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
DEW, I hope you recover quickly. We miss you. Thank you for making the effort to communicate with us even tho' you're not yet up to par. It's a relief to know you're on the mend even if it may take a while. Keep us updated on your progress, please!

DOGMAN, I'm sorry about your loss. That's a tough one. I have lost beloved pets too. My mom once said she would not get another dog because it hurt too much to lose them. That's no answer, though, in my opinion. Your wife's colleague is really a good friend. I'm not sure I could lend my doggie out.....he would not be so amenable to it either...he has perfected the art of looking hurt.....yesterday I tried a sweater on him because it has been so cold here....the look on his face, and the body language...well, you had to see it....hurt and humiliation! I guess the dog in your avatar was the one you lost....a beautiful dog! I'm so sorry.

Yesterday I made a cornbread stuffing for my husband, as he missed that at Thanksgiving. Just tasting it so that I would get the seasoning right has raised my fasting bg this morning by almost 10 points. Yes, I did know it would happen. I need to figure out how much seasoning is necessary in that recipe, no more free-stye methods!!

I made a one minute almond meal muffin to use in the recipe for me, same seasonings, etc. It was very good, a good substitute for my stuffing and I'll make that again! I used some meat juices instead of gravy. Good as well!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
Hello everyone!

Joining this thread as I am a Bernstein Diabetic myself! Was diagnosed in July 2009 with an A1c of 7.8. Knew I had to get back to low carb to lose some weight, and stumbled upon the Diabetic board here at LCF which focused me toward Bloodsugar101 and Bernstein. I started following the approach, and not only did I lose weight (about 95 lbs in 6months), but dropped my A1C to 5.4. Doctor said, "keep doing what you're doing"--and he knew what I was doing.

Unfortunately, got sidetracked last January due some other health problems, went off LC (out of fear), and the weight started to creep back to my current. A week ago, I said "this has got to stop!" and it has, and I'm back on LC.

Ironic thing is that even though I ate pretty much whatever I wanted from about February through November, my A1C in November was 5.8, which doctor said was "excellent." Of course, I knew I could do better, and in the back of my mind knew that "any BG reading over 140 is doing damage" and I know I had plenty of them, including one crazy evening when a HUGE bowl of ice cream sent me over 350!

Enough is enough, and I'm back on track one week, and my daily PP numbers are in the 70-89 range. I have sundowners, so morning fasting numbers are usually 90-110 or so. I am not looking back, as I want to lose the rest of my weight, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY I want to not do any more damage, and hopefully undo any damage I've done.

Anyway--glad this thread is here, and I look forward to mutual support with the rest of you!

Quote:
I made a one minute almond meal muffin to use in the recipe for me, same seasonings, etc. It was very good, a good substitute for my stuffing and I'll make that again! I used some meat juices instead of gravy. Good as well!
Girondet, can you share the recipe for this muffin? I've done the OneMinute with Flax, but have not done any with Almond Meal. Also, would like guidance on the seasons, as stuffing is one of my faves!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

hey Marvin, Wow, what a testimonial to say the least. Welcome to the Bernsteinians.Hope to keep hearing from you in the future. Marvin you might be interested in a cookbook called "The gluten-free almond flour cookbook : breakfasts, entrées, and more " by Elana Amsterdam, . I got it at my public library. Almond pancakes too...

girondet, thanks a bunch for your thoughts. My wife and I get choked up when we think of it. The reminders are everywhere, going to the ocean and even going around town ... Yes that's the dog in the avatar. I can see how your Mom would want to avoid that lose from happening again.
Looks like your services are in demand for recipes from Marvin LOL.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Hi all. Welcome Marvin so glad you are joining us. I think I know you a bit from the diabetes threads.

Dogman - I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Hope you'll find it in your heart to get a puppy again sometime. They add so much to our lives.

Girondet - I laughed at your dog sweater story. I have a red sweatshirt for my huge poodle. She seems to like it - lifts her paws to help me get it on when we go for a walk, but we keep her clipped pretty short so maybe she is just cold!

Dewdrop - wishes for a speedy recovery.

I made a 3 min choc cake in the micro last night and then again tonight. I tried one once before and didn't like it but I got new cocoa and "sweet one" sweetener (splenda doesn't work well with choc?) and now it's really good. Raised my pp 20 points but that's not bad for me for a dessert. Still <140.

Ohh girondet - stuffing from an almond muffin. Why didn't I think of that? I made beef in the crockpot tonight and the family all had bread sticks with theirs and sopped up the yummy crock pot juices with it. Next time I'm making me an almond muffin and joining them. I never think of these simple substitutions - a lack of cooking imagination so I'm so thankful for these suggestions!

I have to make an appt with a new Dr in January. Hope I can find one who understands Bernstein's diet.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Thanks shunsweets, I knew I liked you and Girondet for a reason, You both have a dog...LOL
Yep, girondet got me started on the "muffins in a cup" now I can make a blueberry muffin or two in the morning in only a minute each. Pretty darn good "diet" I always say.
shunsweets, I'll be surprised if your new dr. will go along with your crazy diet. Just imagine doctors telling their patients they can now eat fat, even saturated fat. It would be like admitting a big fat lie. And the cholesterol lie ? Burning at the stake may become in vogue again. Hope you find the dr you like though...
Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Hi Marvin,

It's great to have you here. You have impressive credentials! Wow, what a weight loss, and you will get there again in no time, especially if you can find adequate substitutes for foods you miss

Here is the one minute muffin recipe using almond meal. It makes a muffin similar to cornbread, unsweetened.

I melt the butter, add in the egg, mix, and then add the rest. Cook in the micro for around 1 minute. For me it's 1 min. 20 seconds. If you take it out and dump it on a plate and the underside is not quite done, just nuke it a bit more. Each one makes about a cup of crumbs.

1/4 c. almond meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter
a pinch of salt

My seasonings below for stuffing are for 5 cups. You could multiply the above muffin recipe times 5 and bake in the oven for about 40 min. at 350. Check it after 30 min or so....should be golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean when it's done.

Alternatively, you could divide the recipe below by 5 and make just a bit of stuffing with the one muffin so you can taste it and see how well you like it before you commit to the whole recipe. I do this all the time!!

Ingredients
8 oz onions chopped or diced, sauteed till soft in 4 tbs. butter
5 cups crumbled almond meal muffins
1-1/4 cups chicken broth, homemade preferable, from giblets
poultry seasoning to taste
sage to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl combine sauteed onions and butter, almond muffin crumbs, broth and all other seasonings. Mix well and transfer to a 9x12 inch baking dish.
3. Bake, covered, I use foil, for 30-45 minutes or until well set and cooked through.

***The original recipe called for crumbled cooked sausage and sauteed celery too. Might make it even better. I use meat juices as my gravy.

Oh, and if the almond meal muffins are too moist, let the crumbs from them dry out a bit at room temp or in a low heat oven before you mix up the stuffing. A regular oven dries out food more than the micro does, so if you do the large recipe in there, you probably won't have the problem of too moist crumbs.

If you try this out, please let me know what you think.

Last edited by girondet; 12-14-2010 at 08:44 AM..
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #219
Senior LCF Member

That was a long post for making something that's quick and easy, actually.

Dogman, that book sounds good. I have one for desserts using almond meal and I love it. Cooking Well: Sugar free, low carb desserts by Victor Kline. I picked it up at Borders.
Pie crusts are so easy to make with almond meal and a bit of butter and sweetener.

Marvin, have you tried making soft serve ice cream with heavy cream or half and half, a bit of vanilla and artificial sweetener, and putting it in the freezer for about an hour or two? There are many variations on that too, but it's delicious. Xylitol is my preferred sweetener in everything. Erythritol is second...
Old 12-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Marvin, have you tried making soft serve ice cream with heavy cream or half and half, a bit of vanilla and artificial sweetener, and putting it in the freezer for about an hour or two? There are many variations on that too, but it's delicious. Xylitol is my preferred sweetener in everything. Erythritol is second...
Girondet,
I have not done that. So you don't whip it or stir it at all? Just mix it and freeze as it? That's easy.

I do a couple of things to handle the "ice cream tooth." I make the cheesecake clouds and I've also been known to mix chocolate protein powder and cottage cheese, stir well till curds are smashed, then freeze that. Love them both but variety is always good.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
poultry seasoning to taste
sage to taste
salt and pepper to taste
I know this is something you just do....can you give me any ballpark idea as to the amounts? The problem is that in my mind, a lot of these flavors don't really show up until they've cooked and melded a bit. (Plus, being a guy, I have no idea of where to start! )
Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Hi all. Welcome Marvin so glad you are joining us. I think I know you a bit from the diabetes threads.
Shunsweets,
Yes, I do remember. Hope your family is all well. If you have a few moments sometime, update me on your family's health insurance situation. I know that was a concern back then.

I'm a little confused about what happened to the Diabetes forum? It used to be pretty active, with several active posters, with many interesting topics. Trying to do my part to get it back in play. I know there are many diabetics on the board....just wish a few more would land there!

That's not to say this thread isn't important! I believe it is because those of us following Bernstein have a particular need.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Ok Marvin, I guess maybe start with a tsp of poultry seasoning and 3/4 tsp of sage. Maybe 1/2 tsp of salt and a pinch of pepper. I'm being very conservative here because you can always add some salt and pepper after it is cooked, and with the other two seasonings you can add them to meat juices and pour over the top of the cooked stuffing if you don't initially have enough seasoning. Sorry my recipes are not very specific.

With the ice cream, no I don't have to stir or use salt or anything. I only make a cup at a time in a glass container and I don't leave it in the freezer for days. I do have a soft serve ice cream maker in which you freeze the bowl from it (it has a liquid in it that freezes too) and put your cold mixture in that bowl and fasten on a mixer section and it's done in 5-10 minutes of stirring, no salt. However, while I was getting my mixture nice and cold in the freezer, I eventually noticed that mostly I don't need the ice cream maker. My liquid concoction for the ice cream has a great texture in about 2 hours. Maybe it's the heavy cream. If I use half and half it would be one I make myself with 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 water, but may be better with a higher proportion of cream, as that's what I do always...I love cream!

I was always under the impression that cream is a "heavy" food, being so high in fat. If I eat ice cream for a snack, 400 or more calories worth of heavy cream, I do not feel full or stuffed at all. Quite the opposite. Strange.

Last edited by girondet; 12-15-2010 at 06:12 AM..
Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

girondet, Thanks for the recipes they look like keepers. I'm cutting and pasting them for future reference. And it's going to be the very near future. LOL

Marvin, don't quote me on this one but I believe I read somewhere in one of Dr.B's books that cottage cheese is not recommended for consumption, but I could be wrong.

BTW the almond cookbook I mentioned before relies a lot on Agave nectar . When I checked into it it was loaded with carbs. I do like the author's ( Elana Amsterdam )web site. My last venture with the book is I made Almond bread with sesame seeds. Very Good. Almond crackers are a real hit with my wife too. I make an avocado dip to go with the almond crackers and then barricade my self in the corner ...

BTW the way has anyone ever notice a noticeable rise in FBG before coming down with a cold . About a week ago I noticed an increase of only six. Then I remembered I had what I thought was a scratchy throat a day or two earlier. I believe Dr.B in one of his web cast mention this occurrence. Anyway my sore throat seems to very mild but still hanging on for a little over a week. Just wondering.

Last edited by dogman; 12-15-2010 at 06:53 AM..
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Marvin, don't quote me on this one but I believe I read somewhere in one of Dr.B's books that cottage cheese is not recommended for consumption, but I could be wrong.
I think you are absolutely correct, Dogman. I don't do it often, and when I do it is the full fat version. I believe that his concern is that typically you will have 4-5 carbs per serving, which is quite a bit more than other (hard) cheeses. Like most dairy, (except for hard cheese). It is a relatively high carb load for the protein you get. And if you 're only consuming 6 or 12 carbs in a meal, it's probably not your best bet. As for me, I don't have to follow the 6-12-12 plan perfectly to keep BG's under control, but it is ideal for losing weight.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Oh boy, I learned an important lesson recently. I've been experimenting a lot with almond flour recipes by making all kinds of foods. I noticed though a heighten level of BG after eating items made with almond flour but not really drastic. Yesterday I tried making bread with almond butter. One of the ingredients in the bread called for 3/4 cup of almond butter. I checked the ingredients on the jar and it listed sugar. Well, I thought to myself once it's brought down to serving size it'll probably be not so bad. Again, my number didn't skyrocket (110) but they stayed elevated very long to where it influenced my FG at 101. I hadn't had a reading that high in almost a year. My normal FG is 87.
Should someone else come across almond butter be cautious of the sugar content...
Old 12-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

I've made almond butter bread too Dogman. I used natural almond butter with no sugar. It was very dense bread and did send bg's up a bit. My bg's always take hours to come down.

Your FBS is wonderful! Good job. I try for under 100 fasting but don't always get it. After a 6 carb breakfast and exercise my pp is usually 120-130 and doesn't come down until late afternoon (I mostly skip lunch - not hungry and bg is still too high to eat). Then I eat 12 carbs with dinner and a 5 carb bedtime snack. pp's after dinner are usually <140 and are still up at bedtime. Once I checked at 3am and was 98 but my fasting was 119 that day. A little DP I guess. I try not to focus on the numbers too much(I know the meters are not very accurate) but I don't want any over 140 or 125 fasting. When that happens while still following Dr B's diet I'll take his advice and get to a Dr for insulin. I already take Metformin but it only helps a little. Ofcourse without controlling carbs I'm in the 200's so it's working for me.

Does everybody else keep their numbers where they want them with diet and exercise?
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

shunsweets, I bought some of the almond butter W/O sugar this time so hopefully I'll prevent the higher than expected BG problem.
Officially, I'm not diabetic but my former problem was very high triglycerides and low HDL. After starting LC and keeping BG low I'm do'in fantastic in that department and said goodbye to the cholesterol meds (poison).

You know something that happened to me recently, was my BG readings were noticeably higher but not outrageous. Then it clicked, I had been experiencing a scratchy sore throat just after my BG were higher than normal . Has anyone else experienced this? Now, since it's nearly gone my BG are back to where they're expected.I don't think it's coincidence either. I think Dr. B may have mentioned this type of thing happening to him also.

Well, I ordered another 5 lb of almond flour today. My wife and I are really liking some of the things that can be made with it. The crackers I make are a really big hit around here and pancakes too ! I'm gathering a rather large collection of recipes from all those LC books and ideas... This LC lifestyle is getting better every day !
Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Dogman,
Great job on getting your triglycerides and HDL back in shape. Mine showed an improvement with some low carb eating; I know it will only get better with controlled BG via LC eating, along with exercise.

As for your scratchy sore throat--I did not experience that HOWEVER, I have found a lot of my back pain and 90% of my sciatica has disappeared since going back on LC and controlling the BG. That is marvelous, because I was seriously considering going to my DR and asking for surgery to relieve it. It is marvelous.

If you've published the pancake and cracker recipes already, can you point me to them?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Marvin, I'm very interested to see to what my next results will be in January when I go for my next check-up.
Your sciatica actually disappeared? How great is that! Can you image saving yourself the trouble and pain of not getting the surgery! Apparently, eating carbs can really gum up the works i guess. I'm hoping my wife's hypothyroid will get back to normal because of LCing. Maybe that's too much to ask for but I'm wishing.
I'll get you the pancake recipe when I get home. But in the mean time the cracker recipe info is at Sesame Crackers | Gluten Free Recipes - Elana's Pantry I also borrowed the book from the public library. Many of the recipes are so similar it just a matter or adding a little of this or that for the crackers. On the negative side of this book the author uses a lot of agave but I use stevia for the sweetener. I plan of trying Xylitol in the future. Has anyone else tried this sweetener before?
Oh, I just noticed this pancake recipe from the same web site. I was using it until I ran out of almond flour http://www.elanaspantry.com/silver-dollar-pancakes/ the other pancake recipe I mentioned uses ricotta
cheese ...

Last edited by dogman; 12-21-2010 at 10:29 AM..
Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Dogman!

Re: my sciatica, I've a feeling it was actually being exacerbated by the blood sugars--a form of neuropathy, as it were. I did some research and indeed neuropathy can show up in lower back pain.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Dogmanif you decide to try xyitol, don't let any dogs have any. It's lethal for them.
I love it as a sweetener, but like other sugar alcohols, its success varies with people. It has a laxative effect on some. I also like erythritol a lot. Neither of these messes with my bg much.

However, just as you mentioned above, my bg is overall higher if I eat treats made with sugar alcohols, almond flour, or too many nuts, cheese, etc. My best bg numbers are obtained with simple meats and veggies, eggs. Still, life can get boring without some of that stuff on occasion, as Marvin says.

Thanks Marvin for the info on back pain and neuropathy. My back pain is better nowadays too....

Oh, Dogman, if your wife's hypothyroidism is due to Hashimoto's( autoimmune) disease, it's less likely it can be resolved without supplemental hormone.....no one knows exactly what triggers autoimmune diseases, and the trigger may not be the same from person to person. I have had that for 16 years now. If you do find something that helps, I'd love to know about it though......always hopeful!

Merry Christmas everyone!!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much girondet for your thoughtful advise about the needed caution concerning xyitol, should dogs be present.
Xylitol has a laxative effect? Gee I don't mind...

girondet, I'm just becoming familiar with hypothyroidism even though my wife's had it for several years now. She's taking synthroid for it now. I don't know if it's Hashimoto's but I was reading recently about one called Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome. I need to research more on this topic. Thanks again for adding that to the discussion.

Hey Marvin, I have the other pancake recipe if you're interested. I discovered it in Dana Carpender's "500 Low-Carb Recipes" book on page 140. I was the guinea pig as I made the first few batches and then my wife took over to get them to where they're edible.
2 eggs,1/2 cup ricotta cheese, a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder,1/2 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, I also add a scoop of psyllium fiber powder and if needed, some heavy cream to thin the mixture to the right consistency. Mix the whole thing with a vengeance. Spray the griddle with cooking spray of course. You, being man can't be expected to know the finer ways of cooking so I probably need to tell you how to cook them. Drop the batter on the griddle and when the bubbles on the surface of the pancakes are breaking flip them over and cook the other side. If you'd like to add blueberries I suggest you add them only after you've dropped the batter on the skillet that way they don't get all smashed beyond recognition. And use frozen blueberries and slap on the butter when serving.
There, now , and here's my disclaimer ,don't expect these pancakes to taste just like Aunt Jemima's , but I think they're pretty darn good...

Last edited by dogman; 12-22-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Old 12-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the pancake recipe Dogman. I have a huge tub of unflavored protein powder that I need to start using. I'm going to try these.

Went to a chinese buffet for supper. Tried to pick out just the meats from several dishes so had shrimp, beef, chicken, and pork. Everything seemed to have a sweet sauce but I did the best I could. It was nice to go out and my pp when I got home was 138 so not too bad. Our next door neighbors own/run the restaurant so we like to support them a couple of times a year. Skipped dessert and bought a poinsetta instead. It looks beautiful on my table and didn't raise bg a bit!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #235
Senior LCF Member

You're very welcome shunsweets.

Man! You're sure not hurting when you go out ! You go girl ...I like your style.

The Bernsteinians sure know how to live life...

BTW Dr.B will have a web cast on December 29th. If you're interested go to http://www.diabetes911.net/askdrb/index.php

Last edited by dogman; 12-22-2010 at 04:48 PM..
Old 12-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Thanks so much girondet for your thoughtful advise about the needed caution concerning xyitol, should dogs be present.
Xylitol has a laxative effect? Gee I don't mind...

girondet, I'm just becoming familiar with hypothyroidism even though my wife's had it for several years now. She's taking synthroid for it now. I don't know if it's Hashimoto's but I was reading recently about one called Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome. I need to research more on this topic. Thanks again for adding that to the discussion.

Hey Marvin, I have the other pancake recipe if you're interested. I discovered it in Dana Carpender's "500 Low-Carb Recipes" book on page 140. I was the guinea pig as I made the first few batches and then my wife took over to get them to where they're edible.
2 eggs,1/2 cup ricotta cheese, a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder,1/2 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, I also add a scoop of psyllium fiber powder and if needed, some heavy cream to thin the mixture to the right consistency. Mix the whole thing with a vengeance. Spray the griddle with cooking spray of course. You, being man can't be expected to know the finer ways of cooking so I probably need to tell you how to cook them. Drop the batter on the griddle and when the bubbles on the surface of the pancakes are breaking flip them over and cook the other side. If you'd like to add blueberries I suggest you add them only after you've dropped the batter on the skillet that way they don't get all smashed beyond recognition. And use frozen blueberries and slap on the butter when serving.
There, now , and here's my disclaimer ,don't expect these pancakes to taste just like Aunt Jemima's , but I think they're pretty darn good...
Thanks Dogman!!!!
running out to purchase ricotta....
Old 12-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
dew a bit more lucid

Hey Ya'll . . . I'm 3 wks out and my surgeon said I'm doing fine. I am still at the mercy of others and don't get to cook for myself because it's too painful to stand so long.

Sonny drug out my old laptop and I have it here in bed with me. I went back to my last post (hilarious!) and tried to catch up.

I had to return the Stella cookbook before I went under. I'll have to check it out again when I am better. I may get some stitches removed next week. It makes me mad as a wet hen that I can't drive and can't shop for my own groceries. My BGs are okay but I could do better.

My son took me to see the g-kids on the 17 yr-old's B-day (20th). It's only a 45 min ride. I sure slept good that night. I opted out for the big dinner thing and they brought me home a plate.

What did you have for 'your' holiday meal? Did you eat with people who understood what you are trying to accomplish?

I hate the laptop keyboard and I usually attach a separate keyboard and mouse but since we are in bed . . . gosh! No room for all the things I want at hand.

I have a bag of snacks, mostly low carb. I should start taking my BGs more often now. I know it's the Holidays and ya'll are busy with family and friends. I hope everything is going well for ya'll.

I missed reading my groups. I have some other 'reports' to make!

peace on earth - out

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

So glad you are home and on the mend Dew.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hey Y'all,

I'm a T2 diabetic and I have the Bernstein books. I don't really follow his plan, but do like some of his guidelines.

Right now, I'm making several homemade superfood protein shakes a day instead of meals and then eating at least one (sometimes 2) lc meals a day.

I'm also hypothyroid and post-menopausal, so my losses are kinda slow, but I am losing and that's good.

Nice to meet y'all!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hey again,

Thought y'all might be interested in this:
Almonds Help Reduce Risk of Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease

Almonds Help Reduce Risk of Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease

Incorporating almonds into your diet can help treat and possibly prevent Type 2 diabetes, as well as cardiovascular disease....

The study, one of the first of its kind to quantify prevention data, illustrates that consuming a diet rich in almonds may help improve insulin sensitivity and decrease LDL-cholesterol levels in those with pre-diabetes.

Dr. Michelle Wien, Assistant Research Professor in Nutrition at Loma Linda University's School of Public Health and Principal Investigator for this study notes that, "We have made great strides in chronic disease research from evidence of effective treatment to evidence of effective prevention." Wien adds, "It is promising for those with risk factors for chronic diseases, such as Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease that dietary changes may help to improve factors that play a potential role in the disease development."

The study looked at the effects of consuming an almond-enriched diet as it relates to the progression of Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease in adults with pre-diabetes. After 16 weeks of consuming either an almond-enriched or regular diet, both of which conformed with American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommendations, the group that consumed an almond-enriched diet showed significantly improved LDL cholesterol levels and measures of insulin sensitivity, risk factors for heart disease and Type 2 diabetes.
Study highlights:

* The People: 65 adults with pre-diabetes (48 women and 17 men) with an average age in the mid-50s.
* The Diet: The study population was randomly divided into either the group consuming almonds or the control group. The control group consumed a diet in accordance with the ADA recommendations. The group that consumed almonds followed the same diet, but with 20% of the calories from almonds. A caveat is that although study participants in both groups were instructed to consume the same amount of calories from carbohydrate-containing foods (i.e. bread, rice, pasta), there was less self-reported intake of carbohydrate-containing foods among those consuming the almond-enriched diet.
* The Results: The intervention group, who were on an almond-enriched diet, showed greater improvements in insulin sensitivity and clinically significant reductions in LDL-cholesterol as compared to the nut-free group.

Overall, this study suggests that consuming an ADA-recommended diet consisting of 20% of the total calories from almonds for 16 weeks is effective in improving LDL cholesterol levels and measures of insulin sensitivity in individuals with pre-diabetes. Nutrients in almonds, such as fiber and unsaturated fat, have been shown to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels and increase insulin sensitivity, both of which help to prevent the development of Type 2 diabetes and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

It also provides evidence that suggests almonds contribute to heart health. However, it adds a new dimension to the existing research because it shows almond consumption not only aids in disease management, but may also help reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases. Almonds offer 3.5 grams of fiber, 13 grams of unsaturated fat and only 1 gram of saturated fat per one-ounce serving.

Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Dec. 2010
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote