Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Dew, I made the cheesecake from the recipe you posted above, and it is very good. Thanks again! My husband likes it too.

Good luck on your test! I'm due one as well....yuck.... The only good thing about it is you'll be done with it for a while...

Does anybody have a favorite Bernstein recipe? I have his book and a separate recipe book, but hate to say I have not tried many except the cheese puffs....nuked american cheese slices that puff up....I did make a sandwich with those once, a la Bernstein and it was good....I'm not that big of a sandwich person, though, so haven't really repeated that. I make cheese chips too, and they're good, but cheese often turns out saltier than I want.

Anybody have a good recipe for low carb crackers? All packaged crackers have ingredients that spike me a lot, even when the crackers are pretty low carb, or at least if I eat few enough at a time I'm not getting many carbs. Must be the fake ingredients don't agree with me.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Dogman I go to our small local library every Thursday and I'm going to look for a Stella cookbook. Great idea.

Girondet - I'm not much of a cook but I did try Dr. B's pumpkin recipe. Just pumpkin, spices, and a bit of sweetener in the micro. I make the cheese crisps too but you are right they are too salty. Wonder if they'd work with low salt swiss.

I have the Diabetes Diet book and keep saying I'm going to try some recipes but never get to it. Mostly I'm satisfied with meat, eggs, cheese, and veggies. It's just the occasional craving for sweets that I find hard to deal with.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Shunsweets, I'm going to make a whole pumpkin pie, similar to what you describe but with an almond meal crust. I made a pie with yogurt and heavy cream once with the almond meal crust and it was great. It had lemon juice and ended up tasting like key lime pie, quite tart. I usually make pies like that just for holidays, but I experiment in between so I can be ready when holidays get here! That's my excuse anyway.

I meant to stop by my library and look for a Stella cookbook too, but it was raining too hard yesterday on my way back from the dentist. Maybe today. We have lots of little libraries that connect with each other to form a system. I should check online and order one to be held for me actually.

I think I'll try at least one recipe from the Bernstein books and report back to you guys, lol! I don't know why I'm on some kind of cooking mission this week again (they crop up from time to time)...and it's the week before Thanksgiving...I can't afford to be burned out next week....

Ok....low salt swiss sounds like a good experiment for crackers.......I like the texture of the romano and parmesan mix nuked. I do it for a while on one side, turn it over and do it for a while on the other and it makes a crisp, albeit salty cracker.

Anyone want to share a favorite recent entree recipe?

Last edited by girondet; 11-16-2010 at 06:30 AM..
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Right about now I'm going though several phases. Blueberry muffins made with almond meal with a recipe I got from girondet a while back. Breadless Bread Pudding from "Eating Stella Style: Low-Carb Recipes for Healthy Living ". I think this one is so great and simple I can't get enough, throw on few raspberries and some whipped cream and don't come near me attitude. Tonight I'm going to add some chopped cranberries and orange zest to the breadless bread pudding recipe.
Diet? What diet?

shunsweets, how was the pumpkin recipe from Dr. B ? Good I hope?

The cheese puffs only seem to work with American Cheese... for me.And don't forget to have a Michelob ULTRA with those chips ...

Last edited by dogman; 11-16-2010 at 06:49 AM..
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

shunsweets, I looked for pumpkin recipe in Dr. B's book and couldn't find it. Do you know the page number? I have the latest edition.
BTW I tried the breadless bread pudding with cranberries and orange zest. I must say I prefer just plane vanilla flavor and then adding a little garnish on top with whipped cream when serving.
If you really like those cheese puffs like me I have an assembly line approach to making them if you'd like to know. I take 3 or 4 slices of American cheese lay them on top of each other. Now, you cut that in thirds and you lay those thirds on top of each other .
You guessed it , you now cut that in half.
If you use parchment paper like I do, I also have a simple way of making things easy. I take the microwave glass plate and put on top of a piece of parchment paper face down then I draw a circle around the edge of the plate onto the parchment paper and cut on the line with scissors. When I'm ready to make the cheese puffs I just lay them out and zap them. I use the parchment paper over again until it can walk on its own.
One of George Stella's books has a similar cheese crackers recipe but uses the oven instead of the micro. He also sprinkles them with spices..

Last edited by dogman; 11-18-2010 at 06:20 AM..
Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Knox Blocks

I have to do a modified fast for a medical procedure starting today. In looking for ideas I came across Knox gelatin. Knox Blox 'They' insist that I eat 'jello'. I don't use aspartame. It gives me horrid muscle spasms.

Here's my plan: use the recipe from the box. I'm going to use a diet soda for the 'juice' needed (4 cups) and they might become a favorite snack. I also bought some root beer flavoring (no sugar) at the coast . . . then there's the Da Vinci syrups too.

I used to make Knox Blox for my children. I don't think I ever made them for the grandchildren. They are fun and wiggly - eating should be fun.

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
shunsweets, I looked for pumpkin recipe in Dr. B's book and couldn't find it. Do you know the page number? I have the latest edition.
Hey Dogman . . . pumpkin pie is on page 268 of the Diabetes Diet it has a special recipe index before the general index.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Hey dewdrop, I must say the homemade jello thing never got rave reviews from me. Just seems to taste bogus. If it works out for you, let us know. I love to eat.
Hope you do well with the med proceed. You're not thinking of having a baby are you ? You're too young...

Take care dewdrop...
Old 11-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman The little pumpkin recipe I used is on page 151 of Diabetes Solution 2007 version. Not really a recipe just Dr B's suggestion of how he likes pumpkin.

I was rereading the section on adrenaline as I had suspected stress might be raising my BG, but Dr B says chronic stress doesn't raise BG but sudden stress like a car accident or an event that triggers flight/fight response will in Type 1's and in Type 2's with low insulin production. I know the day my DH had surgery I ate almost nothing but had very high BG must have been an adrenaline release!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, shunsweets I'll check that out...

I was listening to Dr.B on webcast a while back. He mentioned how stress can raise BG. I thought it interesting that public speaking can do it. Must be a design built in us for quick energy response from tiger attacks.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Public Speaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Thanks, shunsweets I'll check that out...

I was listening to Dr.B on webcast a while back. He mentioned how stress can raise BG. I thought it interesting that public speaking can do it. Must be a design built in us for quick energy response from tiger attacks.
Hey Dogman, I think it is interesting that public speaking is one of humans greatest fears! Oops . . . more proof that I am not of this world. I'll talk people's legs off: one on one or thousands. I don't find speaking stressful so I should take my meter at the next meeting I go to and see what it does.
Wouldn't that just freak people out.

Did I tell you about the 'vegetarian turkey' I made one year. I'll just say this, "Don't try this at home children!" It was nasty.

Day one of my NO fiber diet. They don't know that I am a Bersteinian and have secret weapons against imposed starvation.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

I got it!

I just got my library notice that the Stella cookbook is in. I have to go across town to pick it up. Duh! They just built a new library almost next door to me. Old habits die hard.

I've been surfing the recipe section for gelatin recipes. It's unbelievable. There was a cheesecake but it seemed way too high in carbs but I could see how it could be modified. It had brown sugar and ginger snaps."Pumpkin Jiggly Pie". I learned the difference between Neufchatel cheese and cream cheese. For 'us' it would be a better choice to go for cream cheese as the Neufchatel has a lower fat content. I guess if you were trying to lower fat then Neufchatel would make sense.

My understanding is that avoiding fat or restricting it can slow your weight loss and also hamper the production of hormones in your body.

I am going over my restrictions again. It's lunch time here in the Pacific NW. Sigh!

Hey Mr. Dogman, what are some of your favorite Stella recipes. I'll pick one to try based on your evaluation.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Dewdrop, I've been eating the breadless bread pudding like a pig. It's easy to make, after it's cooled I add a few berries and whipped cream. I could dive into the stuff...
Old 11-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

My library didn't have any Stella cookbooks. No breadless pudding for me. Maybe I'll google it and see what comes up!

Yes public speaking would definitely cause an adrenaline release for me.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

News Flash!

I got a call from the VA today! Good news! Thanks to Senator Patty Murray and her staff I get a much needed surgery and it will be in December! Wow, I get the ol' camera up mine for Thanksgiving and now a major surgery for Christmas. Ain't it grand. It will be difficult to stay low carb during my hospitalization but they do try to kick you out as fast as possible. I am so thrilled!

I made 4 large pre-seasoned hamburgers for today and tomorrow. I think I'll do some chicken thighs and that with some of my smoked salmon will take me thru the two days of low carb that I'm being forced to do . . .

For clear liquids on Sunday and Monday I am going to try Knox Blox with a lemon Da Vinci syrup (Splenda) I bought yesterday. I also have some apple juice and some lemon/lime gummy worms so my sugars won't go too low. I don't like lemon/lime gummies so I'm safe there. I don't like thick sweet things to drink (well milk shakes are the exception.) I can have all of Pepsi with Splenda that I want.

Once I heal from the major *surgery I'll be able to exercise more like a normal person. I am hoping I can walk walk walk walk walk and walk some more. *Too personal to say what is being done.

Yous guys are so cool. Thanks for being such a wonderful inspiration and support group.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

shunsweets, it's so easy, even a trained monkey (most us) can make.
4 Large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup sugar substitute(I use about a half a teaspoon of stevia)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven 325
Spray baking pan with vege oil.I use and 8x8 baking pan
Mix all the ingredients beat on high for two minutes
Bake for 1 1/2 hours. I like it to when the top is very brown like
the crust of bread.
See, I told you it was easy...

Oh dewdrop,you don't need to tell us the reason for your op. I know it's the bunion on your little toe... What can expect from someone who still laughs at the Three Stooges.

Last edited by dogman; 11-20-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Old 11-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

I DID IT! I made the breadless pudding. Put a couple of chopped up strawberries, some Walden's strawberry syrup, and a dollup of coolwhip on it. Excellent! Now I'm waiting to test my 2 hr pp and see how I tolerate it. It was a little carbier than my usual snack but so good!

Thanks Dogman.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Anything for you shunsweets, let us know how the ........................................ ...................................DOH Did you say COOLWHIP!!!!!!!!!!
Don't make me let the dogs lose on you. OH, don't tell me COOLWHIP...Oh the humanities....
I'll go cry in the corner now,bye.

Last edited by dogman; 11-20-2010 at 05:28 PM..
Old 11-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Wow, Dew, it sounds like your operation will be life-changing in a very good way!!
You're in my thoughts, and I'm hoping for the best outcome possible! Please keep us posted.....yuck on getting ready for the other procedure....that's the worst part of it, though....if you get thru that you've got it licked, generally...

Dogman, I want to make the bread pudding, but probably won't until after the holidays, or at least after Thanksgiving. I have been eating pumpkin pecan pie and cheesecake, and have even frozen 1/2 of each for the holiday coming up. They were
huge desserts! I wonder why all pumpkin pie recipes make enough for a whole lot more than just one pie, although they describe pouring the mix into one pie shell....one of life's mysteries, I guess. I made a deep dish, large pie, filled to the brim and still had enough left for a separate custard that I cooked along with the pie.

Shunsweets, you are not tempting me any with Coolwhip either. Whipped cream is so much better! Lol! Nevertheless, I know where you are coming from. I love dark chocolate but sometimes I long for my old days of milk chocolate. I can do one Lindt milk chocolate truffle, but you know what? It makes me want to keep on eating more, while the darker chocolate doesn't (usually), so I don't go there much at all....not worth it!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Knox Blox experiment

Whipped Cream yes! but alas not yet. I made Knox Blox per the recipe on the box but substituted 1 cup of Da Vinci lemon syrup. It isn't set yet but seems like it'll be a winner. I do love lemon. I'm hoping for a taste much like lemon meringue pie. If it works out . . . when I can eat again, I'm going to try meringue on top, a tricky test since meringue has to be heated . . . maybe my kitchen torch after a slow low bake and then let it set. Whipped cream would be fab. I always look at the info label . . . they have to tell you have many carbs. I buy canned 'real' whipped cream. Trouble with that . . . the g-kidz like to stand at the fridge and shoot it down their throats. Those bratz.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Ah Dogman

I know coolwhip is a horrible non food item and a bad choice.:blush: Sometimes whipped cream makes me sick though and even though I have a whipper and can make sugarfree whipped cream I thought Id try the coolwhip. I promise no more than a teaspoon full maybe twice in the last year. Sigh.

Good news the pudding only sent me up 20 points, very good for me for a dessert. I don't have much insulin left so I'm pleased with that result. I ate about 3 tbsp of the pudding with the berries so it was a good test. May have to freeze some of the pudding as it made enough that I won't finish it before it goes bad. Have to limit dairy to small servings. But I'm thrilled to have something new to eat and next time I'll try it without the coolwhip!

Walked my 3 miles today - does that redeem me? Also made some nice beef in the crockpot for dinner.

DewdropI taught my gkids to squirt whipped cream in their mouths back when I could eat lots of it without my stomach going crazy. Now they always check the door of my fridge to see if my whipper or a can of whipped cream is there to grab a squirt. Good luck with your sugery - sending positive thoughts and energy to you.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

shunsweets, No problem ,we only want the best for you..., we Bernsteinians have very high standards (yeah right) . Glad to hear you like it and it hasn't given you problems.I usually put on a few (3) raspberries or about 10 blueberries and it hardly touches my BG.
girondet, The breadless bread pudding is another phase I'm going through I just can't get enough of it for the time being. My older son's visiting and he loves it too. He's lost 25 lbs doing this "crazy diet" .
BTW when you were pouring the mix into one pie shell... was it a full moon? That could account for that phenomenon...
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Day Two Total Fast - ie., clear liquids

I shouldn't be looking at food anything but I think it has been a valuable experience. I've been eating 'gummy worms - green' to keep my BG from bottoming out. I have made some Knox Blox with beef broth and it sounds bad but tastes good. Salty! Yum! I will make some more of my "Lemon" blox later today. Or should I try my chocolate or kahlua flavor! Nothing after midnight. I can't even have my orange soda pop, Diet Rite Pure Zero, tangerine today. I hate their white grape flavor but have some and will drink that too. Sigh! Sorry for the whining . . . no one else wants to hear it either.

I am expecting a call with my surgery date today. My dil is in the hospital with afib. She should be coming home today. My dog is sick, my cat is missing and the kitten is being a little doll . . . usually a maniac.

I went to the Humane Society's charity shops yesterday. A nice distraction. I am an addict. I'm looking for a spice/coffee grinder for more mischief. I found a couple of brand new ones but it didn't seem like it was what I wanted. I'll probably break down and go retail.

Okay, back to Iron Chef Japan. I'm behind three episodes. I was disappointed when Ming Tsai got kicked off the week before but pleased that Chef Forgione won. I finally noticed that Mario Batali wasn't in the line up anymore. Duh, I should have known that it was going to be an Italian chef . . .

We have a winter storm warning and it's wet, more snow and temps in the twenties. My son is taking the day off to drive me up to Pill Hill. He is going to chain up today before it gets too bleak!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Caffeine and Aspartame question.

Two more curious questions:

I get horrible muscle spasms from aspartame . . . hence the thrill of making my own 'sugar-free jello'. Anyone else have problems with aspartame?

And hey ya'll, how much caffeine do you indulge in? Does it affect your BG?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Dew, I don't get muscle spasms from aspartame. I only get it (that I know of) in diet Pepsi and I seldom drink that.

On caffeine, well I drink 2 mugs of regular coffee, moderately strong, not like Starbucks, in the morning and then all day long I endulge in cups of tea, generally black tea. (at least 6 cups) I also have a 5g carb piece of dark chocolate most days. A lot of caffeine. I think I'll experiment and start cutting back and checking my bgs and see what happens after the holidays are over.

Good luck on your procedure tomorrow. May all go very very well.

Dogman, unless there were two full moons this month (a blue moon), no. I guess I'm not really complaining though...what's wrong with lots of pumpkin pie filling?
I go through stages of wanting lots of something too...I'm kind of over my sweet tooth for now....I think....but I am definitely going to have to have that bread pudding before year end....
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Dewdrop, you sound kind of upbeat to me considering you're being thrown a curve. People like you make a difference in this world. I hope your dog gets better, mine is very sick and it's probably a matter of days. He's been such a good companion we were truly blessed to having him for almost eleven years.
girondet, oh okay then, let the heavens open up with more pumpkin filling. BTW i'm still eating those muffins in a cup, quick and easy. And good...

dewdrop, take care of yourself

Last edited by dogman; 11-23-2010 at 06:29 AM..
Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

dogman so sorry to hear your dog is sick. Mine has addison's disease but is ok for now so long as she gets her meds. Dogs do add so much love and companionship to our lives.

Sure hope all is going well for dewdrop.

My DH bought a 30lb fresh turkey at the farmer's market today. Looks like we'll have lots of leftovers!
Old 11-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

shunsweets, Thanks so much for you thoughts.God really did bless my wife and I when this friend came into our lives. We'll take it day by day. They say dogs will tell you when it's time to say good-bye. I hope your dog does well, they add so much to our lives.
I recently saw on the news how some dogs are helping diabetics by alerting them when their BG is too low. When that happens the dog is said to pick up a read stick and alert the person. Gotta love those dogs...
Have a great turkey day, same to all the Bernsteinians.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #209
Senior LCF Member

I'm back from helping with my new grandson and the little older one.....it was fun, but very hectic and there was no time for posting or even emails....whew! My bgs have crept up a bit lately, so it's time to get as strict as possible again. Have to admit it felt great to be at the doctors' offices lately and hear all the compliments on my weight

This is such a busy time of year, but I don't want to lose this thread.....so.....

How is everybody doing now that we got through the first holiday? I plan to step up my exercise for sure!

DEW, how have you been doing? Operations done?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

I made a kind of salami and cheese pie with pesto in between those two layers and a vinaigrette dressing over the whole thing. It was different enough from what I usually eat to be a nice change! A little bit as an appetizer is especially good. Variety is what I need to keep me happy. Oh, yes and the recipe came from Dr. B's book. However I really think the recipes in his book are bare-bones and just the beginning of all the eating possibilities for us.

What concerns me is that newly diagnosed diabetics who read his books will feel kind of doomed by the limitations that seem paramount at first....I felt that way...I didn't doubt for a minute he was right about everything....my meter showed me that....but it was so depressing to think I could never again enjoy certain foods. Now I see that there are wonderful substitutes for just about everything. That seems especially important during the holidays

I wish everyone could know this. Sites like this one are a real blessing!