Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I understand where you wife is coming from. BUT after having nothing bread-like for months and months and then stumbling on some of these low carb things and realizing we can have something very similar to bread and cake and keep our health and weight so much better....well, that's a whole 'nother place! LOL!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
I'm thinking of going overboard on some Almond Flour from Amazon it's from a company called Honeyville, but have reservations on whether I should or not. Two or three pounds and I wouldn't feel like I have a white elephant on my hands.I just don't like the idea of buying 5 pounds of the stuff and having to refrigerate it and possibly having it go rancid. The price per pound wouldn't be outrageous at that quantity, even with 3.99 shipping.
I agree with you with your last comment.
My thinking is I don't expect the food I'm "substituting" to taste exactly like the former but if it's better health wise and it taste good; What's wrong with that? IMO

Last edited by dogman; 10-27-2010 at 12:36 PM..
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Sick Cookie here . . .

I think I have the flu but I also have what looks like hives all over. My left wrist and ankle feel broken. I wasn't doing anything. Been feeling to sick to cook.

Sardines (in oil) and tuna are old standbys.

WARNING: Don't touch your screen if you are inclined to send me cyber hugs. I haven't even gotten the chance to get a flu shot.

I posted in the Main Lobby asking people about their water consumption . . . do go over and give me your feedback my fellow Bernsteinians!
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Whew, is a fishy smell emanating from my screen? Sorry couldn't help it...
Geez you've been taking a beating lately. You broke your finger the other day now the flu.With all the crap in the flu shots you're probably better out without it IMO. I don't find much comfort in having vaccines manufactured in China or India etc. Not what I'd call Quality Assurance on a worthwhile level.
I'll try to get over to other thread. I like the term Bernsteinians sounds rather dignified I must say
Old 10-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Oh boy, That flax bread was not good for me... I used an unopened package of flax meal from the frig followed the recipe directions. I checked the carb count of the flax meal and noticed it was high but I said to myself, I'll give it a try.
I only had a piece about the size of 3" square and it made my BG go to an unacceptable level and took too long to return to normal. But, I'll say one good thing, it tasted very good ...maybe others will have no problems. Next time I make the "focaccia" it's going to be with the almond meal flour...
I just ordered some almond meal/flour from Honeyville Farms, online. The price is very reasonable and so is the shipping. I'll be making more of those girondet "coffee cup" muffins soon!

Last edited by dogman; 10-29-2010 at 10:54 AM..
Old 10-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I can't do flax either Dogman. Spikes me and gives me horrible "digestive upset". Dr B says to count at least 1/2 of fiber carbs and I find for me that fiber does react as a carb as reflected in my bgl. I'll bet the almond flour will work well in the bread recipe and muffins. I've made a couple of decent ones using an almond flour/protein powder mix as flour - high calorie but it doesn't spike me (much) and my weight is stable.

Thanks to all participating in this thread. You inspire me daily!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Yikes! Sorry Dogman....It's true that people are all dlifferent in what spikes them, even if there are also commonalities. Almond flour is wonderful, even if expensive, lol so you can have plenty of good things to eat! I have heard of people making pie crusts out of pecans, and I do think there are other nut flours out there, but I haven't tried any. I occasionally use some of the low carb baking mixes like Carbquik, but only occasionally because I'm trying to stay away from gluten totally if I can, and wheat, and soy. Those mixes do contain those. They may also raise my bgs a little bit, but not a spike.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

nut crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
I have heard of people making pie crusts out of pecans, and I do think there are other nut flours out there, but I haven't tried any.
I have made the cheesecake with Splenda and it has a nut crust. I ground the nuts with my food processor and mixed w/butter, pressed into the bottom of a springform pan. Yum! I haven't made it in years. No one else wants to eat the cheesecake though I may try it at a potluck w/o telling my secret! It was good w/o a typical topping (ie. cherries, strawberries).
Old 10-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

I'll have to try it Dew, for the holidays! Everybody in my family loves cheesecake.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

I've started doing this LC thing about six months ago I'm still learning the ropes so I expect that there will be a few bumps in the road ahead concerning foods that are not good for me.
girondet, I'm still planning on making the "bread" recipe expect this time it'll be with the almond meal when it comes in.
Oh yeah, cheese cake! I can remember thinking back when cheese cake was bad for us because of the cream cheese and all those eggs. With the exception of the sugar now it's OK...go figure...
shunsweets, you were saying "Dr B says to count at least 1/2 of fiber carbs and I find for me that fiber does react as a carb as reflected in my bgl."
I remember reading about the 1/2 fiber issue, of course I can't find it now but it was probably in Dr.B's newer diabetes book. I have the Diabetes Solution 1997 edition book here, still trying to find it , no luck in this one. Anyway I was under the impression of some different than you. I thought for instance if a food had 10 carbs and the fiber was six carb you'd deduct 3 carbs which would make the net carbs 7.
But it appears that you take it to mean is if a food is 8 grams fiber your carb count would be 4. Is that right?

I checked the web for other reference and there seem to be confusion on this subject from other Low Carber sites.
Can you tell me which Dr. B book you found the info on the 1/2 carb info.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

The Cheesecake Recipe I've used!

I had to do some searching to find it but this is wonderful.

Low Carb Cheesecake

Ingredients
cake:
4 (8 oz) packs cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sour cream
1 c. Splenda
1/3 c. heavy whipping cream

1 Tbl. vanilla extract
2 tsp. lemon juice
5 whole eggs

crust:
1/3 - 1/2 c. pecans, processed into crumbs
1 Tbl. butter
1 tsp. Splenda

1 (8-inch) springform pan

Directions

Preheat oven to 400º F. Generously grease the pan bottom with butter. Cut a piece of baker's parchment paper the size of the bottom and place inside. Grease this as well. Set aside.

In a shallow roasting pan (that's big enough to fit the pan inside), pour about 1-inch of water and place it on the center rack of the oven to preheat.

Put pecans, butter and splenda in a food processor and pulse to form a moist mixture. Use this as if you were making a graham cracker crust. Put just enough butter so the pecan crumbs stick together, careful not to put too much or your texture will be off. Press this into the bottom of your pan as evenly as possible.

Completely soften cream cheese at room temperature or microwave for a minute or two. In a large mixing bowl, stir or mix with hands: softened cream cheese, sour cream and Splenda until well mixed. You don't want to use a mixer in this recipe or the incorporated air will prevent the texture from being dense and rich.

In a separate bowl, mix heavy cream, vanilla, lemon juice, and eggs, until well blended.

Pour the egg mixture into the cream cheese mixture. Stir or mix with hands until well blended.

Pour batter into the prepared pan. Place pan into the heated water bath in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes at 400º, then lower the oven temperature to 275º F. Continue baking for 1 1/2 hours, or until top is light golden brown and cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan. Turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven to cool slowly for 3 more hours. (This will keep the cake nice and tall and prevent the top from cracking.) Remove and refrigerate before serving. Serve chilled.
Fat:29g Carb:4g Protein: 6g
WARNING - Toppings=carbs! Maybe a zero-carb syrup but I loved it straight up! I also didn't use the sour cream 'cause I hate it!

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Thanks dew, Sounds like the same cheesecake I make, although I've never knew about the 2 tsp. lemon juice. I'll have to remember that next time.
Don't know bout you but the cheesecake seems to taste better a day or two latter. Gets better with age...you might say.
Save a piece for me I'll be right over!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman sorry I wasn't clear on the fiber counts. I do it the same way you do subtract 1/2 the fiber carbs from the total carbs to get carb count. I think it was in "Diabetes Solution".

oooh that cheesecake sounds good. Maybe I'll make one for Thanksgiving so when everyone else is having pie I can have dessert too.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eske
Thanks for posting the recipe! I really like hearing how folks make different recipes. It encourages me to stay the course for this way of eating.
eske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
I'm thinking of going overboard on some Almond Flour from Amazon it's from a company called Honeyville,
I just picked up a bag of almond flour at the grocery store. It's Red Mill brand, 1 lb bag for 8.99. Most grocery stores clump all the Red Mill products together in the same display.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Bob's Red Mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
I just picked up a bag of almond flour at the grocery store. It's Red Mill brand, 1 lb bag for 8.99. Most grocery stores clump all the Red Mill products together in the same display.

I am lucky! Bob's Red Mill is just across the river from me. I've been meaning to get down there. It's probably a 20 min drive if I don't hit traffic. They have an interesting store and I know they used to have a tour of the mill.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Hazelnut Meal

I just cruised (cyber) over to Bob's. They still have the tour and a virtual tour as well. I see a hazelnut meal that would make a wonderful (and easy) cheesecake crust with butter. Yum! I'm still tangling with my leaves. It's a very busy time of year.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Whew, all this talk about food and I want to try new things.
I just got a used book from Amazon, " Eating Stella Style: Low-Carb Recipes for Healthy Living" by George Stella. I first checked it out at the library and I think it's worth having one as my own. I thought Dana Carpender's books were good until I tried the recipes and had disappointments.
dewdrop, must be nice to live so close to Bob's Red Mill...
I ordered my Almond Meal directly from Honeyville and it's scheduled for delivery on Saturday.Decent price and a flat shipping rate , like that too. I got plans...

dewdrop,Still tangling with your leaves? Watch your FINGERS !

Hey, I just noticed I'm a Senior LCF Member. If anyone needs an autograph I'll be in my dressing room...

Last edited by dogman; 11-04-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

LOL Dogman!

LOL Dogman!

I thought Senior LC Member meant I was way, way old! Guess I signed up so long ago; I don't even think about it.

One More Beautiful Day here in the Pacific NW. I volunteer in the AM for the homeless then I hope to come home and finish up this round of leaves.

I was naughty and had Mexican with my kidz last night. Yes, even the refried beans! My bg was 115 this AM. That was so cool because I am a Sunrise Syndrome, always! I didn't take insulin either. I'm so glad – but it's back to plan. I got away with that cheat. I don't like to think of myself as a cheater but carbs can quickly lead my astray. Durn it!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

dewdrop, that's great you're helping people in need. Don't want to patronize you, I know you're a good person.

Don't think that you cheated when you slip up, think of it as "going off plan".

Hey, I found some very good cook books by George Stella. This weekend I'm go'in in the kitchen...cover me.

You're going to call me crazy but.. I've notice several things happening to me since going LC, really, it's not my imagination. My teeth stay cleaner between brushings.
Also, about 4 years ago I had a bit of a problem with gum recession at one tooth and now the gum line is 99.9% back where it should be. My next visit to the hygienist will I hope confirm my observation.

Last edited by dogman; 11-05-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

I'm back from becoming a new grandma and helping out, for a bit at least...

How's the George Stella cookbook experiment going? I have yet to make anything new....am looking forward to having that pecan cheesecake soon though....

I did an experiment yesterday.....my bs was at 109 and I did a brisk walk for 20 minutes, tested, did 20 more,tested, then tested again at one hour. After the first 20, my bs was at 84....nice.....at 20 more minutes it was at 87, then at one hour it was back up to 99.

I repeated this later in the day with close to the same results. I don't think the exercise effect lasts long for me, blood sugar wise...I know it's good for lots of things and I won't stop doing it....but I kind of thought it lowers bs for most people for the rest of the day. Should'a known it's never that easy. For a long time I didn't even get a lowering effect....other than the 10 pt drop I usually get per hour anyway until I reach the base level for that day. I stay in the 85-120 range, but my average is generally around 102-105. Just like when I was diagnosed with prediabetes in 2004. I guess I shouldn't complain.
It could be so much worse!

I was eating what I wanted then, though....so of course I HAVE gotten worse!

Last edited by girondet; 11-12-2010 at 07:55 AM..
Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Checking in . . .

I've had the flu since Saturday. I'm still sneezing and coughing. The VA sent me a note day b4 yesterday that said my flu shot awaits - great! I have an appt on the 23rd for that special 'golden' senior test. I flunked my cards. I think it's just the surgery that I had in 2005 - gives me heck down that way. Sigh!

I was reading a book by Dr. Atkins that said FL avocados have more carbs than CA avocados. I have to wonder why. I know that FL oranges make good juice (not that I can drink it.) CA oranges are very good eating. I don't know what makes that difference.

I am off my pain meds except for ibuprofen. It was actually makes me hurt worse. I'm going to try to tough it out w/o meds.

Excercise! Yes! That's a grand idea!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
I'm back from becoming a new grandma and helping out, for a bit at least...
Congratulations girondet. I have five ages 21-15. I have threatened them with spay-nueter if they make me a great-gma. Have fun while its a wee one. The teens and adults (they call 21 an adult) are not so much fun and golly are they expensive.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

girondet, I thought you were even too young to be a Mom. Congrats on being a granny ...
BTW George Stella rocks! I've made the "breadless bread pudding " so simple to make and I love it. I really like his books and the success rate of the recipes are really high so far. This weekend's going be meatloaf stuffed with hard-boiled eggs . Yesterday I made Cranberry/Pumpkin muffins another keeper of a recipe. I've been using the Almond Meal I recently bought. It doesn't even effect my BS one bit.
Why am I so happy?
My wife has reduced her weight be nearly 40 lbs since we went LC around mid April. She looks good and feels good. Now, how is that! And we eat like pigs...almost.
Dew, very interesting about the avocados...take care of that flu...
Old 11-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats again Girondet!
I walk every day for at least an hour and it always sends my BG up 20-30 points. Apparently my liver perceives it as stress and dumps out some glycogen to help me(thanks a heap silly liver!). It takes a couple of hours to go back down but then ends up a little lower than I started. I just exercise anyway - figure the good outweighs the bad.

Oh dogman those recipes sound delicious. Are Stella's recipes the gourmet kind with tons of ingredients or simple enough for everyday? lots of specialty ingredients?

Dewdrop - I read that about the avocados too. So now I buy the dark wrinkled ones - those are the CA ones right?
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Dogman, flattery always accepted here! Heehee...I have another grandson, 17 mos. Congrats to your wife!! That is wonderful!

Dew, I hope you're feeling better. Yes, I remember my own kids as teenagers....! Yikes!

Shunsweets, I envy your exercise routine. I guess it won't happen for me by magic...I keep waiting for motivation....I did walk a bunch with my grandson, the older one, last week. I like a very concrete and immediate goal...maybe I should start walking to the grocery store, many times per week, lol!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

WII Fit

One indoor way to walk or bowl or . . . is the WII. The kids love it and it's easy enough for me to bowl with my 'bad' arm. Lots of fun for the whole family.

Speaking of which I have a whole houseful right now. I did have a very 'clean' lunch while they had Taco Bell.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

I have done the bowling! And beat everyone, and I never bowl!!! My son brought it with him on vacation. I think I may have annoyed him and others when I started handing out advice on how to play better....LOL.....good for you DEW!! On the Taco Bell.... the only time I really really have trouble is when everyone else gets to snack after dinner, but I don't....it's not even that I'm hungry or anything....just seems unfair!! I used to like those bowl salads, but you know what, I make my own version and as long as I have all the ingredients it doesn't take any longer than driving over there and sitting in the drive thru!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

shunsweets, the George Stella recipes I've tried are made with "normal" ingredients not specialties. And, they're so very easy even I have no problem. If anything, almond meal was something I didn't have around the kitchen so I bought 5 pounds, I really like it.
I usually try my public library out first to see if a book I'm interested in is there, then if I really feel I need a book I usually buy it used on Amazon. So that's what I did.
girondet, I can feel the humility from here for your son by getting the tar beat out of him and then handing out advice.Whew, I hope he likes eating crow...( you go girl...!)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Love that library!

Normally I my library. I decide to look for a book online, (George Stella) and then if I find it - place a hold and pick it up. Since I'm disabled it beats searching even through the card catalog at the library. Now that budget cuts are in place I am not handicapped enough for home delivery. Sigh! I understand. Thank goodness they built a new library a few blocks away. I can't place my hold this morning because of system problems. Theirs not mine! I do have system problems

I have to start on Friday to prep for that golden senior moment on Tuesday. I smelled the stuff I have to drink on Monday - yucko!

I did some chicken thighs to die for last night. Of course I just threw the spices in but it's standard stuff I use. I don't color inside the lines so good. So many things - so many experiments!

Last edited by dewdrop_mealine; 11-15-2010 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: forgot to say where