Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
eske, Sorry didn't mean to tempt you...
So far I believe I've done pretty well with finding substitutes for many of the foods I loved.I think of it as kind of a challenge.The fries might be a good one for example.
I'm going to check on that one myself.
I know there's a good substitute for ketchup that I've seen in George Stella's cook books to go with those fries.
Lately, I've had a hanker'in for a meat loaf rapped with bacon slices.Saw that one Blaine's Kitchen...
Whoa!!!

PS Just took quick look at the recipe section and noticed Steak Fries. Might be worth checking out.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...page/12/sort/1

Last edited by dogman; 10-20-2010 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Add
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I can have a few fries made with winter squash, especially in the evening when I seem to do the best with carbs. Also, I have used some of the south of the border veggies that are carby but not as much as our potatoes. Same thing. I can only have a few.

If anyone comes up with some good substitutes for fries I'd love to know about it. I actually don't mind just having a few, and if it's a very nutritious veggie I'm especially happy about that, as opposed to starchy but empty.

Rutabaga fries are sort of an option.....bitter tastes work well with vinegar, I think....

Last edited by girondet; 10-20-2010 at 08:48 AM..
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eske
Would love to find a substitute for fries, but don't like rutebagas much! I may try cutting wedges from sweet potatoes, drizzling with olive oil, seasoning, then roasting. I will have to see what they do to my blood sugar.

I am down 3 pounds this week. The first week always sees a drop, but I am hoping to keep up the momentum. I will be thrilled with a loss of a pound a week if I can just keep it up! I think getting my rear in gear and exercising daily is the key.
eske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

girondet, you make fries with winter squash? Is that butternut squash of some other type?

eske, just imagine, in a year from you'll be 52 pounds less than now... you go girl!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Yes, Dogman, Butternut. It seems ok with me bg-wise, for a few. Fortunately, I don't feel inclined to eat a lot of that anyway. Tomorrow I'm going to make a pumpkinish muffin with it in the morning, because I don't have pumpkin and I need to use the squash. When I lived in MA many years ago, people often made squash bread as well as banana bread, pumpkin bread etc. It was good. Just as good!

Eske, I watched Thintervention. I have seen it before, lol, did not like Nikki as she can be so mean ....it's fun to watch people lose weight on tv, but that is way too intensive for me; I haven't seen their diets though. Surely they always slow down and hit a stall. I lost weight quickly when I started doing Bernstein. For months I was almost perfect on it and I think I lost something like 7-8 lbs. a month, more at the beginning and less a bit later. They expect people to lose a lot more than that on the show, each week. I don't really see how, but then maybe it does work for some and not others. Once, many years ago I did lose something like 14 lbs in 10 days on the Stillman diet. I was 21 yo. It was very very harsh. Just meat, fish,eggs, a tiny bit of cheese and water. Low fat too. No cream. I felt very lethargic and depressed except for right after I got off the scale each day!

I play with the idea, once in a while, but it wouldn't be good for my thyroid is my understanding. You are doing great with a 3 lb. loss! Especially if you feel you are eating in a way you can keep up. That's crucial, don't you think? Congrats on the loss!

Dew, used the kohlrabi yet?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Losing it

I was a skinny kid and stayed that way till I hit 30. I actually lost weight with my first child. I was 20 lbs thinner at 9 mo when I checked in to give birth. I lost too much with #2, she was a still birth. I gained with my daughter (#3) because I was so hungry. I lost it all even as I breastfed her. I really craved calcium, I'm guessing. Canned evaporated milk with a bit of coffee with the two healthy children; lots of ice cream with my third.

My nicknames were bird legs and bean pole . . . I don't want that now, but healthy and I'm off insulin as long as I can keep my sugars down. So I've been very low for me @ 135 and very high @ 358 about a year after the accident. I'm tall.

The leaves are falling; yet I find the time to see what ya'll are up to.

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Think I'm going to try the rutabaga fries. Wish I could come up with something crispy with raddishes cause my bg's do really well with them - round fries ?
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Pork rinds?

I get my crisp fix with fried pork rinds. They can be very dry and choke me if I eat too many, but I just need the crisp fix sometimes. I can also coat meat with them; something along the lines of panko bread crumbs. I'm going to bake some chicken legs with that 'breading' tonight. Always yummy.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

I like pork rinds mixed with a little parmesan as a breading too. I can eat a few but then they seem to have an aftertaste to me. Maybe that's good built in portion control.

Thanks for reminding me about them dewdrop. I think I have a bag in the cupboard - wonder if they go stale.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eske
Yes, I think Thintervention's exercise and weight loss expectations are way too intense for me. I figure the three pounds this week was some water loss as I had been eating more carbs than I should have been. So now I will shoot for a pound a week, my goal is to lose 25 pounds in six months, then fight like crazy to maintain!

Question, does anyone eat kale? How do you fix it? Are there health benefits aside from those from any vegetable?
eske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Kale for low-carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eske View Post
Question, does anyone eat kale? How do you fix it? Are there health benefits aside from those from any vegetable?
Kale, like most greens love to be wilted with bacon. Slice the kale into strips. Fry bacon in a cast iron skillet. Take it out and set it aside (to be crumbled). Saute the kale in the bacon grease until it wilts. Don't overcook! You can add a bit of water or stock if you want . . . traditional recipes call for a bit of sugar but I don't miss it. I must say that collard greens (with just a hint of hot sauce) is my favorite green. I wonder if stevia or splenda would give it that traditional taste . . . and of course some people add a splash of some kind of vinegar. I like apple cider myself. I think caramelized onion would be good but leave the carmel (sugar) out. I think I'll try a small batch with splenda or stevia.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

dewdrop,That kale thing sounds like it's worth a try to me. Good nutrition there no doubt. Uh oh, cast iron pan for cooking? Hummm...

I noticed a lot of talk about weight loss. I've very stable with my weight since I lost the real payload a couple of months ago. I've been checking my body fat percentage regularly (not BMI) with a little gadget at the gym I go to. What I'm finding is my weigh is stable but my body fat percent is decreasing. IMO getting too concerned with weight loss may be overlooking the important issue of body fat percentage.
I tried the butternut fries and I'll give them a possible 7.5 out of ten. They tasted good but just weren't crispy. I used new oil canola to fry them and added Old Bay spice when they came out. Maybe I should have used peanut oil. I noticed that the listing of carbs for butternut was pretty high so I braced myself for the BG reading,to my surprise it was 87. I tried it a day later and checked it an hour and half after eating and again it was 87, makes me happy on that one. Now, all I need is to get those "fries" crispy and bring the taste test rating to at least a respectable 9 out of ten.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Crispy Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Now, all I need is to get those "fries" crispy and bring the taste test rating to at least a respectable 9 out of ten.
I am a Food Network Fanatic. They say that to get crisp fries (potatoes) first they fry them lightly, let them cool a bit and then do another fry to brown them. I haven't tried it so I can't say it works but even the 'Iron Chefs' say they do this. You might search foodnetwork.com for fries and see if there are other ideas out there. I have seen them do other veggie fries (seldom) and I do get ideas I can use.

It's volunteer morning so I'm just checking in with ya'll. Later!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

dewdrop, thanks for the tip I'll check it out.

I saw on the news today, diabetes to rise in the future. I think the future is here already...

Diabetes Rates To Soar Unless Americans Get Weight Under Control : Shots - Health News Blog : NPR
Old 10-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

That sounds like a great idea for "crisping", Dew. I may try it. I love the semi-starchy taste of butternut, don't mind the not-crisp, but I always liked fat, starchy fries too, lol, instead of the crisp. I miss starchy tastes sometimes, but one thing that I have done is substituted a bit of coconut flour for flaxseed meal to give my muffins more of a bread-like, dense texture than I could get with flax. It's good! Coconut flour is a bit carbier, but since I only use say 1 tsp instead of 1 tsp of flaxseed meal in a one minute muffin, that's only about 1-1-1/2 extra carbs. I made my one minute muffin with 1tbs squash, the coco flour, and lots of sunflower seeds and pecans, as well as cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, etc. It was great! I don't miss the ones at Starbucks!

I love kale and prepare it similar to your recipe. It's packed with nutrients. Unfortunately the only way I can buy kale is in a huge package, and my husband doesn't like it much. So, I use spinach more often. Kale has a very satisfying texture, doesn't it?

The BMI thing.....I have two bodyfat % gadgets....a scale and something that works thru the arms....I think they're fairly accurate, as they read pretty similarly. they use a laser signal I think. anyway, mine is too high, but had improved a lot when I got back from vacation. the only difference I can see is that I stayed in more constant motion on vacation than I do at home. I wonder if it can really change that much in a week....a few 5 pts.....it's worse again now that I've returned to my old ways. Not really funny!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

So girondet your 1 min muffin is 1 egg, 1tsp coconut flour, 1 tbs squash (I'll try pumpkin don't have squash) and nuts, seeds, spices then nuked for a minute or so? I'm going to try this. I haven't had 1 min muffins cause I don't do flax but coconut flour is OK!

This will be brkfst tomorrow! Thanks!

On another note does anyone know of a good lightweight fry pan? My cast iron and swiss diamond are both too heavy for my wrists now - ouch! Is there anything good and light or do I just but a new cheap one every few months? TIA for any suggestions.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Uh oh Shunsweets, no! Those were the changes I made to the original one minute muffin. I still use the flaxmeal. That was not a complete recipe.

You could maybe use almond meal instead of the flax in the one minute muffin recipe, but it would probably up the carbs.

the whole recipe is this: (I use 1/2 the flax of the original Atkins recipe and I add a pinch of salt)

Serving Size: 1

2 tbs. flax meal (Substitute 1 tsp of flax for 1 of coconut flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet Splenda® packet (--or 1 tsp. xylitol
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter
a pinch of salt

***I add 1 tbs. of mashed, cooked squash or pumpkin, 1-1/2 tsp. of sunflower seeds, 7-8 pecan halves broken up smaller, and a bit of cloves, ginger and nutmeg.

I think my version has about 12 carbs, 8 net carbs, or less. It makes a huge muffin, very high in fiber.

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.
Stir.
Add the egg and the butter. Mix. Add anything else you desire.
Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the full recipe. No wonder it was like scrambled egg instead of a muffin this morning. The dog absolutely loved it! Sometimes even the dog won't eat my experiments.
I ate coconut/protein powder cookies instead for breakfast. Ug too much coconut oil so early in the morning. My stomach hurts - that will teach me. I'll try the muffin later or tomorrow morning if I can get organized before work. Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

I think the muffin made with almond flour turns out too eggy/spongy with only 2 tbs. of the flour, so I would make it with 1/4c. almond flour. I experimented today, lol! I made it with almond flour, 1/4c. and I substituted 1/2 oz cream cheese for the butter. I also added lemon extract and vanilla extract instead of the cinnamon. More sweetener....voila!....poundcake!

Butternut fries are crispier if fried twice.Dew, good idea...but they won't satisfy someone who wants a potato fry I'm afraid. The starch in potatoes probably help with the crisping. I'll admit though, never have been a good frier!

Now I'm tired of cooking and tired of food, lol, and especially tired of peeling hard skinned squash! Tonight I want to eat out!

Last edited by girondet; 10-23-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Old 10-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

I broke my little left pinkie! Of course I wasn't supposed to be doing what I was doing! I was trying to put the utility trailer on my van. It rolled and smashed my pinkie between the two. Ouch!

The kids were napping. Now they are taking it the recycle center. (They are 41 and 48 but still kids to me.) Luckily it will rain so I can wait on the next pile of leaves. It's funny how many left pinkie strikes typing takes.

I won't be cooking for a bit - I'm stubborn so I'll figure this out. Pork cutlets for dinner tonight with a can of green beans. Easy!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Oh dewdrop so sorry you are hurting.

girondet I'm going to try the pound cake but in the oven. I just can't get a decent muffin out of my microwave.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

I'm sorry about your pinky too, Dew. I know it makes things tough. Hopefully it will heal quickly and well.

Yep, Shunsweets. I much prefer baking in the oven myself, and I prefer making a bunch of muffins at once and freezing them to having to mix all those ingredients on a daily basis. It is good for a try before committing though
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Geez, dewdrop I feel the pain just thinking of it. Please be careful and take care of yourself...
Interesting muffin recipe I copied it and I'm gonna try it tomorrow morning. In a coffee cup;aye?
I made my stuffed meatloaf yesterday and I eating like a king today. Boy, I'm not hurt'in on this "diet"!
Tomorrow Muffins !!!Oh yeah...
Old 10-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Yes. A coffee cup is good. It's fun to watch it rise, lol! That's the basic muffin, I got the recipe on here, and then you can add things, tweak it, etc. It's quick and easy, but I actually prefer making a dozen or 18 and freezing them. 20-30 seconds in the microwave and no preparation time is even better! Especially when I'm serving more than one person! I have made them with banana, for only a few carbs a muffin and it's like banana bread. Flax is great for my bgs!

What's your stuffed meat loaf like? Not to make this thread just about food, lol....

There is a thread in the main lobby about ph alkaline/acid going on. I'm interested in what some of the folks' opinions are.

Last edited by girondet; 10-25-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Old 10-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

girondet,I’m happy to say the "coffee cup" muffin I made came out very good.
In my muffin I used roasted and salted almonds for the flour the blue diamond brand nuts. I smashed to nuts to a very fine consistency. Didn’t need to add salt to the recipe since the salt was already in the almonds. As a precaution I sprayed the cup with Pam. I also added some whipped cream on top to the finished product, whoa, talk about a breakfast! This recipe has almost unlimited potential, tomorrow I’m going to add a few blueberries.Yes, the muffin really got inflated really cool ! Almost every day is a new adventure with a difference eating experience and no doubt it’s way better than eating any of those” healthy” muffins at the donut stores.
If all this weren’t good enough I checked my BG about an hour and half after eating the muffin and it was 87. Thanks a million,girondet.
The meatloaf came out very good too. I think that kind of food is meant for this time of year, just seems to be right...
Would be nice if Dr.B's thread had more subjects...
Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Here's another Bernstein thread

#post14029302

I just started it.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad the muffin worked out Dogman! Yes, with a bit of modification you can make flaxbread, flat, to use for sandwiches. I do that too. I use the almond flour to make pie crusts. Oh yeah, the list goes on and on. I wish more people knew that they really won't feel like they're giving up much if they can learn this new way of cooking.

Thanks for the new thread Dew!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

The problem I found with almond flour is it's way too expensive especially if you see the prices at Whole Foods, Whew! Do you buy from WF? So, do you use flax flour for the bread and would you use baking powder there also? Please tell me how you make that too if you don't mind.
Whenever I read of people back sliding back to their former way of eating I just can't believe it and with so much to choose from...So far, I'm so content with LC it's just great.
And no longer a cash cow to the cholesterol meds pharma! Can it get any better ?!

Last edited by dogman; 10-26-2010 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: ed
Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Dogman, I feel like my almond flour lasts me quite a while and I store it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh longer. Fortunately, my local grocery store, Publix, sells it. Sometimes its in the health food section, sometimes near regular flours. You could check prices online.

I use this recipe to make bread, and I leave out the sweetener, but add lots of Italian herbs; a mix that is sold that way, or at least Oregano. I'm leaving the original author's comments. It can stick to the pan, so either greasing the pan or using the parchment is wise. It freezes well.

RECIPE:
I call this "focaccia" because it is baked in that style -- flat on a sheet pan, and then cut up into whatever sized pieces you want. It works for toast, sandwiches, and other bready uses. It is "rough" in texture like heavy whole grain breads. Since it isn't made with wheat, it doesn't have the same kind of grain as wheat breads, but the carb in flax is almost all fiber. Flax is very useful on a low carb diet, as well as being amazingly good for you.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
• 2 cups flax seed meal
• 1 Tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1-2 Tablespoons sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener
• 5 beaten eggs
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/3 cup oil
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicone mat.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.
Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbohydrate (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories. (6g fat)
Old 10-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

girondet, Thanks so much for the great info!!!
BTW I tried the "coffee cup" muffin with blueberries. I really like it but my wife is not completely committed to giving a full two thumbs up. She does think it has very good potential though and thinks it needs a little something to the recipe. Women...
The blueberries do affect the BG noticeably but not too drastic.
To the kitchen I go tonight !