Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #811
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Hello, I'm new to this thread. Just got two Dr. Bernstein books. Haven't made it though much of them so far but his writing is compelling. DH and I are eating low carb but not following his plan just yet, but are interested.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #812
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09

I just realized this thread is not that active So sad about that. Amy had her regular check up a few weeks ago. She is doing well. Her A1c has come down. Her doc is pleased with it being 6.2. I am not, anything new there I want it lower, but they tell me not to even try DH has finally understood that if we want to have Amy healthy, she needs tighter control of her highs. So he has tinkered with her pump to make it happen. He read a book from the library called "Smart Pumping" for the pump info only, not for the nutrition info. She gets her new pump next month. It should be even easier than the one she has now so she is excited!!

Hope everyone is well and had a great Thanksgiving!! Mine was quite as I had laryngitis the day before and the day of My voice is back but my throat is still sore today. Darned virus.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #813
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Great news on Amy, Dawn. I am so thankful for her that you understand low carb as the Docs still don't get it.

Hi Mystizoom. Dr Bernstein's plan will definitely help with blood glucose levels and weight management.
I wish this thread was more active too but I think once one gets settled on this diet for life it keeps things so stable there is not much to talk about! Most diabetics struggle with constant problems which are kept to a minimum with strict Bernstein. It is also a great maintenance program for weight control. I have been stable for 3 years and am very thankful.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #814
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcome. It is good to hear success stories. I'll try to get through the whole thread soon.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #815
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Type2
Stats: 290/228/150
WOE: SouthBeach'07/Diabetes Diet'10
Start Date: 11/21/2010
Dear Dogman,
If you look among the spice shelves, you will see a few brands of salt substitute. The ingredient will be potassium chloride. I find it too bitter when added during cooking, but if shaken on food, not so bitter. You will not have to worry about added carbs and it really works to give you the potassium you need.
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #816
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Dewpoint 2013

Such sorrow my fellow Bernsteinians. I lost my favorite brother, just 15 months older than me. He just didn't wake up one morning. Healthiest man and health conscious, greatest husband, father and of course brother, decorated war hero. My great-granddaughter died in my arms a few days later when they took her off life support. Just waiting for my BIL to pass of thyroid cancer, another war hero, say agent orange.

I'm doing very well. My surgeon says all my labs are terrific and I am to be counted a success.

Grief fills my heart and the flu has my body. I got my flu shot and got home to discover the house was full of it. Sigh!

Dr. Bernstein is a hero! Highest praises for what I learned from him.

~dew

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #817
Major LCF Poster!

So sorry for your losses Dew. Life can be so hard and my thoughts are with you.

Glad to hear you are doing well post surgery.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #818

Drew, so sorry for your losses thus far. Wow!! That is a lot to take on at once. My thoughts are with you as well. Stay well!!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 01-14-2013 at 09:52 AM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #819
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
Drew, so sorry for your losses from me too
clairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #820

Wow!! No posts for months. I hope everyone is OK!!

We had Amy's endocrinology appointment this week. Kind of disappointing because her A1C keeps going up. I talked with the doc about it and she was not worried. It is still under 7, and she says as long as it stays under 7 she is OK with it. We want it closer to 5!! Anyhow, that is our goal for the next 3 months. Trying to keep her away from some "forbidden foods" as it may will be hard, though. Telling a 12 year old to not eat fruit/snacks is like ripping their heart out. But we will see how it goes.

Hope everyone is well!!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #821
Major LCF Poster!

Nice to hear from you Dawn. I wish this thread was more active too. Maybe it is time to start a new one?
Sounds like Amy is doing well. Hard to keep a kid on a diet (heck hard for us adults!) maybe you can bake some lc treats she especially likes and keep them frozen in servings just for her. Maybe buy berries instead of fruit? I'm sure you have thought of all this. Just trying to be supportive.
Have a great summer with the kids!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #822

Thanks shunsweets!!! Good suggestions. And ones I will have to try. She loves the oranges--she can eat them all day long. Problem is I don't buy them. My DH's aunt does. She sees no harm in giving her all the fruit she wants, and if given the option she can eat it all day long. At her house it is available 24/7 Not at my house. Here you have to actually cut it up, wash it or peel it yourself. No one feels like doing that so no one eats it My kids are so lazy And I sooo have to get to baking. I am so lazy too, I guess LOL. Or it could be that there are not enough hours in the day. Yeah, that is more likely the case.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #823
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Garlic
Stats: 326 / 260 / 175
WOE: Atkins 2010
Start Date: May 25th, 2013
Brand new to this thread. I just ordered the book.

About me.... 51 years old, almost... Married.... Twin 12 year old daughters... 265 pounds.... Down 65 pounds from my highest. Type 2. Before last week I thought I was doing great at 175ish carbs a day. I had a physical 9 days ago.

Well my a1c was really high, but my triglycerides and cholesterol were down significantly over my last physical, to almost normal levels. Since finding this website, I have kept my carbs down to we'll under 100 a day. My current goal is 60 or less. I doubt I will ever be at 30, but I plan to get lower than 60.

My hardest part will be eating less tomatoes and onions. I like whole meals of my homemade stewed tomatoes! In fact I have 12 tomato plants in my garden right now.

I have 100% already given up bread, rice, sugar, and pasta. I am not a big fan of fruits except the fruits that I should avoid. So, I decided to just not eat the high GI fruits at all. I have recently developed a taste for avocado, and make an avocado smoothie most nights.

Recipe :

1 avocado
1 tbs or 2 of whey protein
2 packs stevia
1 cup Almond Dream almond drink... NOT almond milk... Unsweetened
1/4 C almonds
1 cup water
About 10 ice cubes

Blend til smooth.

So that right there is likely not OK on this plan, but I won't give it up.... I love the nutrients and the good fats. That said, I plan to read the book and adapt as best as I can. I eat about 1700 to 1800 calories most days, even if I do lots of exercise. I hope to get down to 1500 a day.

My final goal is to get to 165, and get off my meds. My immediate goal is to get under 250, which I would love to reach by August 14th, which is really when I turn 51. I want to be 165 by the time I am 52.

And my name is Chuck.

Last edited by Garlic; 05-31-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #824
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you Garlic. You may find you can gradually lower carbs as you adjust to the diet. The health benefits are enormous. Your smoothie sounds delicious.

This thread isn't very active right now but if you post someone will get back to you. Dr Bernstein is definitely the authority for diabetes diet management so you are on the right path. Best of luck in your journey.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #825
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Garlic/Chuck,

Glad you ordered the book! We have both books though neither DH nor I follow Dr. Bernstein to the letter it has some very useful information and advice in it. My highest weight was 327, I started low carbing at 300 and am down over 55 lbs. from that in 6.5 months. I'm not diabetic but strongly insulin resistant and on 1500 mg/day metformin. Going low carb reduced my fasting insulin from over 20 (which is high end of normal) to around 10. Dr. Bernstein stays less than 10 is optimal IIRC. My A1C from last week is 4.9 and my fasting glucose was 84. I don't plan to stop the metformin even though my numbers are great, I feel it has benefits and certainly contributes to keeping my insulin low. I'll see you around the forums, keep up the great work!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #826
Senior LCF Member

As I wait for the book to come, I have a question. For LONG TERM, where do you get your vitamins? 30 carbs a day isn't even a lot of vegetables. On an average day I eat 2 - 3 bell peppers. When I eat spinach, if it is the 10 ounce frozen spinach,, I usually eat a whole box.

This is the scary part for me - nutrient loss, and a fear of eating too much meat.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #827
Major LCF Poster!

I do take supplements while eating to this plan. A good multivit, fish oil, and a few herbs that have been reported to help with bgs. I limit meat to 50gms a day ( but I am a small woman). Remember this is not so much a high protein diet as it is a high fat diet. I use coconut oil and olive oil to increase my fat content which keeps me full, keeps my weight stable, and my bgs stable. When you cut carbs and keep protein moderate you need to make up the calories with fats so you are not hungry and your body has plenty of fuel.

Bell peppers and spinach are great choices for your carbs. I wouldn't worry about eating big servings of them for now. You are off to a good start!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #828
Senior LCF Member

So, it resembles a paleo diet, but with less meat?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #829
Senior LCF Member

The more I think about this, the more it scares me. I wills till read the book and stay very low carb, but I think I would feel much better mentally eating more protein and less fat.... What I didn't mention before is that I actually had a SIX artery bypass in 2007....... fat scares me.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #830
Major LCF Poster!

Wow that is a huge operation! My DH had triple bypass last September. It was very frightening but he is doing well now. His cardiologist did recommend a lower fat diet for him. He doesn't have diabetes so doesn't have to worry about bgs and can tolerate more carbs.
From what I have read there isn't a lot of real proof that fat causes heart disease. Many feel high carb is more of a culprit but you must do what you feel comfortable with and what best balances your health concerns. You may be able to tweak your plan to a ratio of protein to fat that works for you. I hope you feel great and am happy to hear you are doing well since 2007 - gives me confidence that I'll have my DH for many more years.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #831
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic View Post
The more I think about this, the more it scares me. I wills till read the book and stay very low carb, but I think I would feel much better mentally eating more protein and less fat.... What I didn't mention before is that I actually had a SIX artery bypass in 2007....... fat scares me.
Dr. Bernstein addresses the issue of heart disease in the book, so please read those sections when you get it. Page 525 of the index shows where he references heart disease in the book. Diabetes and out of control blood sugar are much, much worse for the heart and cardiovascular system than a diet very low in carbs and high in good fats.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #832
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Wow that is a huge operation! My DH had triple bypass last September. It was very frightening but he is doing well now. His cardiologist did recommend a lower fat diet for him. He doesn't have diabetes so doesn't have to worry about bgs and can tolerate more carbs.
From what I have read there isn't a lot of real proof that fat causes heart disease. Many feel high carb is more of a culprit but you must do what you feel comfortable with and what best balances your health concerns. You may be able to tweak your plan to a ratio of protein to fat that works for you. I hope you feel great and am happy to hear you are doing well since 2007 - gives me confidence that I'll have my DH for many more years.
Thanks.

Yes, I feel pretty darn good, and was told that I might still live til 80 if I take care of myself.....

I am 5' 5" tall, and my goal is to be about 175 pounds.... underneath this fat is a lot of muscle, at least according to a test I took at one of my doctor's offices.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Dr. Bernstein addresses the issue of heart disease in the book, so please read those sections when you get it. Page 525 of the index shows where he references heart disease in the book. Diabetes and out of control blood sugar are much, much worse for the heart and cardiovascular system than a diet very low in carbs and high in good fats.
Totally agree on this. If you look at Dr Sinatra's book "The Great Cholesterol Myth: " he explains the reason sugar is worse than fat in your body. Fat is not the enemy!