Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #781
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Aw Dogman the puppy is so cute. So glad you got him and I know he will bring you much happiness.

I have read about chronic cardio workouts being counterproductive too. I still walk everyday carrying my weights trying to combine a little anaerobic in with my walk. I feel better now that I have given up jogging and cut the intensity of my walks. I think I was wearing my poor, old body out.

We Bersteiners don't have to worry about toxic wheat. We are grain free!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #782
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Thanks shunsweets,
Did you say , the puppy is so cute? Argh, he's a killing machine ! (Not really) Calvin's a good little friend. He loves to play fight and I usually end up with some playful bites. He knows he can only do that with me and no one else.
For a long time DW and I were bummed out after saying goodbye to our last Jack Russell Terrier. We've been blessed again with this one.
I've been doing weight lifting and body weight exercise for quite a while and I really enjoy it. I bought some used weights on craigslist for a real bargain. A chin-up bar on the sundeck and it's reruns of the Incredible Hulk from the 1980's TV show, well almost at least in my dreams...LOL

Whew, you really put on the miles in walking. You're an inspiration that's for sure.

Last edited by dogman; 07-17-2012 at 07:29 AM..
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #783
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
I'm glad they didn't keep you in the hospital, DEW. So much better to be at home!
I hope the x-rays are good, too. I went to the ER with chest pain once....eeesh, they kept me for so many hours.....it ended up I had a pulled muscle....I had no idea.....gotta check out chest pain, that's for sure...

I'm a sugarholic too. Sugars and starches were always my favorite. They sure caused me trouble and I sure denied it. Bernstein was the first time I could ever maintain any weight loss.
Nice photo! I am upset. I don't get notices of posting to this thread all the time and it says I'm subbed. I don't have my x-rays back yet. I am totally wheat free and the few carbs are eat are totally wheat free. I'm not doing the franken foods like gluten free. Amazing.
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #784
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Hi Dawn ,Shun,Dew
Dawn I hope Amy is doing better. Yep I got myself a new Jack Russell Terrier, Calvin, back in January. What I great little friend he's becoming. I still miss my Edison.

June, Great job on the new look ! Wow ! Keep it up ...

Dew, nice little rodent you have there. (Just kidding)

I see people are reading "Wheat Belly" , that was a really good book for sure. I like how Dr Davis says that wheat should a warning label. After reading that book I think he's right.

On another topic about exercise I wince when I hear someone is doing aerobic exercises. It's not really a good thing to do.
Anaerobic is so much better, check into it.
A book that made a real difference for me is called ,
Men's Health TNT Diet: The Explosive New Plan to Blast Fat, Build Muscle, and Get Healthy in 12 Weeks [Paperback]
Jeff Volek (Author), Adam Campbell (Author) . Very worthwhile, Don't let the title "Men's Health" turn you off. I built back some very noticeable muscle and reduced more fat. I track my Lean body mass and body fat to be certain I'm not deluding myself.
Take care Everyone,
Gee and all I got in January wasa great grand daughter.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #785
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Last month's Dr. B talk is here.

Questions for the next talk can be sent, using this form.

The next talk is:

Wednesday August 29th, 2012, at 7PM CST, 8PM EST, 6PM MST, 5PM PST,
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #786
Senior LCF Member

Hi dewdrop , give Buttercup a kiss on the nose for me
Auntie Em thanks for the Dr B link. I sometimes kick myself for when I forget to listen in to Dr B's podcast but not this time thanks to you.
Any of You ever listen to Jimmy Moore's podcast. Very interesting with different topics worth checking out.
One thing I find interesting is the Ketogenic diet he's experimenting with. I know we all pretty much eat very low carb but his diet is very moderate in protein and very high in fat. Got me to read the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney. Incidentally , Mr. Moore checks his ketones with a meter designed to check both glucose and ketones. He'll be reporting on his progress in the coming weeks. Sounds exciting to me.
Hey shunsweets you'd better get walking, you've got another 52 miles to walk before the end of the month...
Take care,

Last edited by dogman; 08-23-2012 at 05:09 AM..
Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #787
Senior LCF Member

Dogman, what is Dr. Moore's first name and where do we find him? Sounds interesting. Never heard of him.

My exercise has become gardening. I am LCing but mildly. Sugars are great, A1C is great and for the first time in 62 years I have a tan. I am still wheat free and so glad I found that out. I just keep losing the weight and still have more - never know I may get down to my weight just after my son was born. I weighed less then than I did in high school and maintained it till I turned 30 and quit smoking (same time.)

Oh Dogman! now I have a 6# Yorkie named Figgin. So that's 3 for me. Springer at 65#, Chihuahua 6#

~dew

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #788
Senior LCF Member

Hi dew, it's Jimmy Moore - Livin' La Vida Low-Carb show.

Sounds like you should live to be 110 .

Dew I always knew you were going to the dogs...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #789
Senior LCF Member

To be, or not to be: that is the question:

On a different note. Has anyone used ****** to log their daily carbs etc.?
I’ve been doing it for quite a while and I’ve noticed a few things that are making me take notice.
For the most part I was primarily concerned with carb intake for a long time. But something I’ve noticed until rather recently is the lack of Potassium and some important vitamins. Since many of us low carbers don’t eat wheat products we might be lacking in some B vitamins. I’ve been very low especially low in thiamin. I’m trying to get some from Brewers yeast but the problem there is it’s pretty high in carbs. I thought about trying Vegemite (yeast extract) but the problem with that is its high amount of salt. Oh well…
I know I could just a vitamin pill and call it a day. But from what I hear, some vitamins are made with franken ingredients into Folic acid ( the bad one) not folate acid ( the good one) (one on the B vitamins)
Now, to complicate things further, I’ve noticed my diet is very low in Potassium. For a long time my blood pressure was considered border line high. Especially at the doctor’s office (white coat syndrome) not sure if it could because of low potassium (you understand right?). So now I’m experimenting with find foods high in potassium and I believed it’s making a measurable difference with my blood pressure. I'm going to try some “V8 low sodium juice” because it looks to be fairly high but in order to keep the carbs somewhat reasonable I’d have to settle for half a cup at a time.
The search continues…

Last edited by dogman; 08-23-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #790
Senior LCF Member

Blood pressure

As a diabetic it is über important to keep the BP in check. I was put on more BP med at the home last year and they took the diuretic out. My BP is great and I feel better. As you know Dogman I allow myself 'restricted' fruit and vegetables. Since you aren't diabetic (you make an admirable effort for your health) you could probably research high potassium fruits and veggies and try to get some the 'real' way. I would think that Brewer's yeast and vegimite would qualify as franken.

And! Yucko!

doing the dew!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #791
Senior LCF Member

Did you hear the train wreck?
I checked into the "good stuff" for brewers yeast. I'm trusting Lewis Labs is not making franken brewers yeast. OMG that would make me .
About the fruits and veges, the list for the top 5 are Bananas, Prunes, Potatoes, Tomatoes and Spinach. Can't remember the last time I had any of the first three.
I have a few fresh slices of tomatoes a day especially now with my garden in full output. Spinach yeah no problem there. Honestly, I've really checked into it but maybe there's more stones to check under. Unfortunately, the real way to get potassium seems to be the high carb highway.
Vegemite is franken too? Why ?
Must say, I like the taste of brewers yeast in my salad, not yuck at all.

Anyway, from what the experts say we need 3500-4700 mg of potassium per day. I'd be willing to bet that only a small percentage of people even come close to the RDA. Even the supplements of potassium in stores only gives your 3% of your RDA. The reason for this is to prevent people from going over-board and creating problems associated with too much of a good thing .
I'd have to eat at least 7-8 large bananas a day for the minimum RDA of potassium . The carbs would come out to over 200 grams.
Dr B would have a bird...

Last edited by dogman; 08-23-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #792
Major LCF Poster!

Just back from my MIL's funeral very nice. She was 92, healthy and independent, and had a wonderful life.

So I have been stuck with hotel food, no exercise, and lots of stress and boy can I feel it. Back to Dr B for me and thankfully so.

Dogman, I am following Jimmy Moore's experiment too. I got myself the meter that does ketones as well as bgs and will be using it once I am back to normal here. I liked Phinney's book too. I am amazed you do so well keeping up with all this and you are not even diabetic! Good for you! I do ****** faithfully daily to keep myself on track. I just take a high quality multi vit/multi mineral and fish oil daily to keep up my vitamin levels. I do take an extra potassium as well. Find I get leg cramps if I miss the potassium.

So the puppy is full of spunk! I love that age in puppies.

Hi Dew, Girondet, and all the other Berstein followers. I wish you all healthy, happy eating.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #793
Senior LCF Member

Shunswwets sorry to hear about you MIL. 92 healthy,independent and a good life is pretty darn good ...what more could a person ask for.
Wow! shunsweets we're practically related...I really like Jimmy Moore too, from what I heard on his podcast he's a real person and he's had to battle with weight issues. He lost a ton of weight and gain about 90 pounds back. Now with his N=1 experiment he's lost a good amount. He theorizes that his weight gain was because of too much protein even while he was low carbing. He'll announce his progress in the following weeks.
I'm excited to here how your ketones check out. Jimmy Moore had a link to how to get a free ketone/glucose meter so of course I took the bait. They say the strips are very expensive. Where did you buy yours? Will you be checking ketones every day ?

I'm trying to keep better control on my protein and cranking up my fat intake to a least 80 - 85 percent a day. Kerry Gold butter is my new friend. That's the good stuff. Also, I'm trying to go moderate on the protein too to about 10-15 percent per day. Easy to say but not so easy to do, it's a work in progress.
I do the cod liver oil liquid in the morning and liquid fish oil at dinner. Of course I need the flavored kinds or else yucky fishy taste.

Last edited by dogman; 08-23-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #794
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman - cant post the link here for the ketone strips as they sell lots of stuff but I got them online. They are pricey so I will only use them sporatically. Just want to see my ketone levels when I am on my usual high fat diet. I do about 80% fat, 10-15% protein, and 5% carbs most days. I am hoping that is putting me into ketosis most of the time, but mostly it keeps my bgs more stable and keeps me off insulin for now.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #795
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
On a different note. Has anyone used ****** to log their daily carbs etc.?
I’ve been doing it for quite a while and I’ve noticed a few things that are making me take notice.
For the most part I was primarily concerned with carb intake for a long time. But something I’ve noticed until rather recently is the lack of Potassium and some important vitamins. Since many of us low carbers don’t eat wheat products we might be lacking in some B vitamins. I’ve been very low especially low in thiamin. I’m trying to get some from Brewers yeast but the problem there is it’s pretty high in carbs. I thought about trying Vegemite (yeast extract) but the problem with that is its high amount of salt. Oh well…
I know I could just a vitamin pill and call it a day. But from what I hear, some vitamins are made with franken ingredients into Folic acid ( the bad one) not folate acid ( the good one) (one on the B vitamins)
Now, to complicate things further, I’ve noticed my diet is very low in Potassium. For a long time my blood pressure was considered border line high. Especially at the doctor’s office (white coat syndrome) not sure if it could because of low potassium (you understand right?). So now I’m experimenting with find foods high in potassium and I believed it’s making a measurable difference with my blood pressure. I'm going to try some “V8 low sodium juice” because it looks to be fairly high but in order to keep the carbs somewhat reasonable I’d have to settle for half a cup at a time.
The search continues…
To help me with potassium I drink coconut water. I try for every day, but it is a bit pricy. But I think it is helping. I love it and if you read up and research about it......worthwhile in my opinion!! Much better than that V8 stuff!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #796

Quote:
Did you hear the train wreck?
I checked into the "good stuff" for brewers yeast. I'm trusting Lewis Labs is not making franken brewers yeast. OMG that would make me .
About the fruits and veges, the list for the top 5 are Bananas, Prunes, Potatoes, Tomatoes and Spinach. Can't remember the last time I had any of the first three.
I have a few fresh slices of tomatoes a day especially now with my garden in full output. Spinach yeah no problem there. Honestly, I've really checked into it but maybe there's more stones to check under. Unfortunately, the real way to get potassium seems to be the high carb highway.
Vegemite is franken too? Why ?
Must say, I like the taste of brewers yeast in my salad, not yuck at all.

Anyway, from what the experts say we need 3500-4700 mg of potassium per day. I'd be willing to bet that only a small percentage of people even come close to the RDA. Even the supplements of potassium in stores only gives your 3% of your RDA. The reason for this is to prevent people from going over-board and creating problems associated with too much of a good thing .
I'd have to eat at least 7-8 large bananas a day for the minimum RDA of potassium . The carbs would come out to over 200 grams.
Dr B would have a bird...
With my WOE (that would be hcg) I know of someone who is way into the potassium/sodium connection. She says the best sources of potassium for when doing the hcg, which has a very limited list of veggies allowed on plan: spinach, romaine lettuce, avocados. I know there are more but don't recall which ones. You don't have to have bananas to relieve cramps!! I have to remind my DH of that all the time when Amy cramps up. Btw, when I am on the hcg, I take 8 a total of 8 over the counter pills of potassium in a day as well as 2 TBL daily of apple cider vinegar to relieve the cramps. Anything less (or if I forget) and I cramp up in the middle of the night.

Last edited by dawnyama; 08-24-2012 at 07:19 AM..
Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #797

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Dogman - cant post the link here for the ketone strips as they sell lots of stuff but I got them online. They are pricey so I will only use them sporatically. Just want to see my ketone levels when I am on my usual high fat diet. I do about 80% fat, 10-15% protein, and 5% carbs most days. I am hoping that is putting me into ketosis most of the time, but mostly it keeps my bgs more stable and keeps me off insulin for now.
If you see what I posted above about my WOE, I have abandoned that now. I have too much stress at the moment to continue it. I think I should heed your advise and see how that goes for me. When I tried low carb before it never made me lose, wonder if I ate too much protein. Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #798
Senior LCF Member

Hi dawn, thanks for your info. Amy's doing well I hope ?
I did a quick search of hcg. Is this related to increasing hormones ?
Thanks for the tip on coconut water. I'll need to be on the lookout for it.
Have noticed that OTC pills are way low in potassium? Only 99 mg (3% of the RDA) . So you take 8 a day? Is that all at once or spaced out during the day? 8 Of those pills would give you 24% RDA per day. (I was really kidding about the bananas. :-)
Hope whatever is causing you stress comes to pass soon and for the better.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #799

Quote:
Hi dawn, thanks for your info. Amy's doing well I hope ?
I did a quick search of hcg. Is this related to increasing hormones ?
Thanks for the tip on coconut water. I'll need to be on the lookout for it.
Have noticed that OTC pills are way low in potassium? Only 99 mg (3% of the RDA) . So you take 8 a day? Is that all at once or spaced out during the day? 8 Of those pills would give you 24% RDA per day. (I was really kidding about the bananas. :-)
Hope whatever is causing you stress comes to pass soon and for the better.
Yes, hcg effects the hormones to take off the fat. It effects Leptin to help release that fat. Not trying to plug my WOE, just wanted to tell you that potassium is very important!! And also tell you where I got my info from. Here is a copy/paste:

"Here is the interesting thing: The hCG Protocol includes many potassium rich foods.

Below is a list of potassium-rich foods, and their sodium contents:
•Asparagus* – 4 oz = 310mg potassium/2mg sodium
•Avocado – 4 oz = 679mg potassium/11mg sodium
•Spinach* – 4 oz = 633mg potassium/90 sodium
•Tomatoes* – 4 oz = 252mg potassium/10mg sodium
•Cucumbers* – 4 oz = 168mg potassium/2mg sodium
•Cabbage* – 4 oz = 279mg potassium/20mg sodium
•Artichokes – 4 oz = 486mg potassium/5mg sodium
•Strawberries* – 4 oz = 188mg potassium/1mg sodium
•Orange* – 4 oz = 205mg potassium/0mg sodium
•Salmon – 4 oz = 474mg potassium/52 mg sodium
•Cod* – 4 oz = 457mg potassium/81mg sodium
•Haddock* – 4 oz = 353mg potassium/77mg sodium

*P2 Legal

At the very least, you should maintain an even number of milligrams of sodium and potassium in a day. Even better would be to make your potassium levels at least double. The best course would be to concentrate on keeping your sodium intake low enough that your potassium is five times that amount."

Anyhow, I do take 4 potassium pills at lunch and the other 4 after dinner. While on hcg, you don't have breakfast so I split it between the 2 meals. Then before bed I take the apple cider vinegar so that I don't have the cramps at night. That supplies potassium as well. The 8 pills that I take are equivalent to those that the doctor would prescribe if your doc felt you needed some. So I feel comfortable taking that many in a day. Others are soooo worried because they actually read the label and believe what that states. If they only knew
Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #800

Oh, you asked about Amy. How sweet of you!! She is doing well. Just started 6th grade and loving it. She moved onto Middle School and it is an adjustment--new nurse and routine, but so far so good!!! My DH is reading the book "Smart Pumping" from the library. Good thing we didn't buy it. It is from the ADA and the nutrition info in there.....oh my!! It states you should reduce your fats so that your blood sugar doesn't spike!! Who believes that anymore???!!!! Cannot wait til we return it!! But he also got out the book "Think Like a Pancreas" and he is thinking of buying that one. I am excited for that because that is a much better book. He advocates being your own doctor, tweaking things on your own, and to not rely on your doctor for anything but scripts and is very well written. I think we will be getting that book, but the updated one.

Her last visit with the doctor went well, but she has had her highest A1c since her diagnosis. I was disappointed with that, but we know how to fix that! So we are watching her like a hawk. I have to cook at home more than relying on quick foods. I am so bad with that. But it is what we should be doing. Ah, such is life with 4 kids, eh??!! Busy, busy.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #801
Senior LCF Member

Dawn thanks for all the great info. I eat almost all the foods on the list of potassium-rich foods. Although,oranges for me are a like teeth on a hen. Looks like I'll need to check into Artichokes.

You mentioned how "sweet" I am. Aw suchks...

ADA and the nutrition info:
""you should reduce your fats so that your blood sugar doesn't spike!! "" I'm on the floor ...

4 kids ??!! Be fruitful and multiply I guess. I called it quits and put the guns away after 2 boys ...

Last edited by dogman; 08-27-2012 at 06:50 AM..
Old 08-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #802

dogman--it would be funny, if it weren't so stressful. This year they are in 4 different schools!! Yes, I said 4 different schools. My youngest is in elementary school (grade 1); then there is Amy in 6th grade. The Middle school she goes to holds only the 6th grade!! Then my 13 yr old son goes to 8th grade and his middle school. And my eldest son goes to high school (11th grade). So there you have it--4 kids, all 4 schools possible in the district. All different start times, different bus times, different end times. They are scattered here and there. There would be no way we can do this unless the older ones helped out with the younger ones. They are such a great help!!! Kind of surprising but they step up when need be.

I am shocked the information they are STILL giving out to unsuspecting peeps. This is why the diabetics in this country are not getting any better, only worse. Until they take the responsibility for their own health they won't get better. I have a book from the library called "Sugar Nation: the Hidden Truth Behind America's Deadliest Habit and the Simple way to beat it" and the author has gotten rid of his type 2 diabetes by following a low carb diet. Yes, I said got rid of. They don't like you saying that!! But he does!!! It has gotten great reviews on amazon too! It is funny to see the nutrition info the ADA wants you to follow and then follow those guidelines with this Sugar Nation book. My oh my! Talk about opposites.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #803
Senior LCF Member

Yep , "Sugar Nation: ..." was a book I really enjoyed reading. Jeff O'Connell covered so much important material I was really impressed and the neat thing is he saved himself from the horrible fate of his father.
Sometimes people think (know) I'm sugar/carb phobic, it's no wonder especially when you read a book like this one. It amazes me daily when I see all the obese people everywhere and I think it's practically a guarantee of having and getting diabetes plus all the other problems associated before receiving the "grand prize" . I tell my older son who should really get serious about eating low carb , "nobody gets away with it" .

Last edited by dogman; 08-28-2012 at 08:04 AM..
Old 09-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #804
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Dawn, thanks very much for the list of foods high in potassium.

Here is link to ask Dr. Berstein questions for the next broadcast, which is on Oct. 1st.

Here is the link to listen to the last broadcast.

Best wishes to all.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 09-25-2012 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: corrected link
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #805
Senior LCF Member

carb-a-phoic

Quote:
Sometimes people think (know) I'm sugar/carb phobic, it's no wonder especially when you read a book like this one. It amazes me daily when I see all the obese people everywhere and I think it's practically a guarantee of having and getting diabetes plus all the other problems associated before receiving the "grand prize" . I tell my older son who should really get serious about eating low carb , "nobody gets away with it" .
dogman

I don't think too many people notice I'm carb-a-phobic. My sis and BIL eat dinner with me about once a week. They fell in love with spaghetti my way. That was spaghetti squash and the rest of the fixins. (Okay, they made their garlic bread. Sigh!) I used as low a carb sauce as I could find. It was better to me than regular. Noodles don't have any taste. I was thinking how people use noodles as filler. I know as poor folks as I was coming up the noodles (or rice) were there just to fill up our hungry mouths. I had six sisters (one has passed) and four brothers. All but two of us girls have had weight problems. The other two were anorexic and/or bulimic.

"Iron Chef America" actually had pasta as the secret ingredient. What the heck can one make with pasta that makes pasta the star of the dish. One dummy (excuse me, Iron Chef) made pasta ice cream. ???

Since I'm old as dirt and always sick and in pain . . . they just figure I don't eat much. NOBODY (well almost nobody) wants to hear the wheat thing. I say I am allergic to wheat and that passes easily. I wouldn't eat the stuff just to take a test to prove it. I've proved it to my satisfaction. It has been a real salvation for my system. It also amazes me what people don't think contains wheat. People put a lot of things into their mouths w/o a thought of where it comes from.

Look in some of the grocery carts when you shop . . . A M A Z I N G ! I don't preach it - I try to live LC and let others follow.

BTW, the LC show has only been advertisements for the guests that appear. I have tried a number of them but they bore me.

It's challenging to find new things to eat. I found a jar of watermelon rind pickles real cheap. Yuck - right! Not LC by any means. Now can I adapt them to LC? They tasted like bread and butter pickles. Interesting. I think people have a difficult time with LCing because they are reluctant to step outside the box.

I have spent my life coloring outside the box. I am at goal now and may try to go to my fighting weight (say what I weighted until I turned 30 and quit smoking.)

I have the flu right now but other than that I could kill a bear with my bare hands. LOL! Just call me 'Davy'.

Love to all. Good to hear Amy is doing so well.

doo dew
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #806

dew--so sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope by now you are feeling better. Seems kind of early for the flu, but it probably is a year round malady. You just hear more about it in the winter. They keep trying to "sell" those flu shots. I don't believe in them, but I know so many that do. Because of Amy's diabetes, she gets one. But other than her........I don't know if we will get them or not.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:45 AM   #807
Senior LCF Member

LC Veggies

I'm not sure it's the flu but it's still here. I saw my shrink yesterday. A sign in the clinic said they were temporarily out of flu shots. I've been told that it's important when you are over 60, have a compromised immune system or are very young to get a flu shot. I get 2 out of those three. I also took the pneumonia vaccine which is due every 10 yrs.

My mother was diabetic and had RA. She got the flu when she was 58. That was the end. She died of complications of the flu.

For my next LC veggie adventure I'm trying a rutabaga. I'm going to roast it with my turnip and cauliflower. I love roasted veggies.

I'm open to any veggie suggestions. I tried a parsnip but wasn't that impressed. It was okay. I started a pinterest page and I'm finding a lot of LC ideas there. I know our files are full of recipes.

dew
Old 09-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #808

Dew-wow I am so sorry about your mom. I know that Amy's endo will probably have her get the flu shot. But as for the rest of us....not sure. Hmmm.....

I love cauliflower. It is so versatile. You can use it as a sub for the potatoes. My mom swears it doesn't taste like potatoes, or is a good sub for it. But I love them!!! I make a soup with it---cauliflower soup that Amy loves!! I boil the cauliflower (2 16 oz bags) and then blend it so it is smooth. I add some butter, cream cheese, some shredded cheese, then put it into a carton of chicken broth . So simple and she is in love with it. I was going to make it this past week, but it is simply too hot. Maybe today I will make it so she can eat it when she wants it. That is my foray into veggies. I don't do parsnips, rutabaga--those odd sounding ones. My family would not even be open to trying them, let alone eating them. Have to stick to the basic low carb ones--green beans, broccoli, cauliflower.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #809
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carolis60
Stats: 186/172/150
WOE: Protein Powder
Start Date: July 2011
Hi Everyone,
I just joined the thread. Will spend some time this afternoon reading the posts.
I'm a lc-er from way back, fell off the wagon, but now I'm going/gone through menopause and fighting the muffin top. I'm tired of it and need to start focing on how to lose a few inches around the middle. I know it won't be fast, and I'll have to count calories as well as carbs, but I'm going to do this!!
Glad to meet all you you! Be back later today. Errands to run this morning.
Carolis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #810
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I love rutabegga and they are a good sub for potatoes of yam type roots.
Just chunk and steam em til soft and serve.
you can mash them up on your plate and add whatever....butter comes to mind.

Also a nice potato sub in stews, although, I am a big fan of turnips in soup/stew.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote