Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #721
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Aomiel, congratulations on the A1c of 5!

Following Dr. B's dietary recommendations, taking the supplements he recommends (plus a few others), and the progressive exercise have given me confidence that I am taking good care of myself. I'm really glad I got the newest edition of his book. Every time I read in it, I find I am more mindful in taking good care of myself. It's great to have it for reference.

Best wishes to all.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #722
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Merski
Stats: 164/152/135
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: 07/2009
Dogman,

I am absolutely hooked now too. I sub the Da Vinic Vanilla for Black Cherry Syrup. Oh goodness. Just thinking about it.

""Low Carb Chocolate Cake (courtesy of Linda's Low Carb Site)
1 TBS Butter, microwave for 10 seconds to soften
1 Egg
1 TBS Da Vinci SF Vanilla syrup
2 TBS Splenda
1 TBS heavy cream
Pinch salt
2 TBS cocoa

Mix together all the ingredients until it is as smooth as possible. It should look similar to cake batter at this point. Microwave for 1 minute. For the special treat, add 1 TBS of whipped heavy cream (sweetened with Splenda).

Makes 1 serving

Thank you!!!
Merski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #723
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Auntie Em--I need to go ahead and buy that new book! I really want a new up to date one. Thanks for bringing it up again.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #724
Major LCF Poster!

Dawnyama, I'm really enjoying Dr. B's newest book. I find I refer to it quite often.

Hope you are doing well.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #725

Thanks Auntie Em. I am not doing well. I am home sick from work. I have double ear infections, a sinus infection as well as allergies plaguing me right now. I have lost my voice for 3 days this weekend and am just getting it back now. I am on the mend and this is good!

Amy had an odd day today. She ran out of strips at school, so I went to find her another bottle. We have none! Ooops! And the refill at the pharmacy--no can do. The prescription expired last month. Does anything ever go smoothly????!!! So had to call the doctor's office, then the pharmacy (again!) and now it is a waiting game to see if I pick up the strips before school starts tomorrow. Good thing we have other meters that use different strips, and we have those strips, but still.....does it really have to be so complicated?? LOL. I was hoping that we would last until she sees the doc in 2 weeks, but she checks her BS so often that we go through all 200 in no time.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #726

Wow it has been quiet here lately. I will report that Amy had another regularly scheduled appointment last week. She had her A1c done and it is holding steady at 6.5. Now the endo thinks that is great!! I, however, think it can improve. Ah well, I don't know what is normal for children, but I think Dr B would say it could be better. She is doing well. No complications or problems.

I just got "Wheat Belly" in the mail. What an interesting read. I have only flipped through the book since getting it, but wowza!!!! It really has opened my eyes. He talks about the connection between autoimmune issues and wheat. I want Amy to now be off of wheat. Of course I would benefit as well, but she has a host of issues that he directly links to wheat, my doctor thinks I may be gluten sensitive. She is not positive. Has anyone read that book yet?

I do know that I will be cooking more low carb things in the coming weeks. School gets out next week and I will be teaching Amy to cook many low carb things. I think that will get her more on board with things if she has a hand in it all. Oh well time to get ready for tomorrow. Have a great week everyone!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #727
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Glad to hear Amy is doing well.

I read "Wheat Belly" and it certainly confirmed my grain free diet! My daughter does gluten free but still eats rice, potatoes, and non gluten flours. She lost 20 pounds and feels much better since going wheat free. So maybe Amy can go wheat free but still have some wraps and baked goods to help keep her happy. I use almond flour and make the 1 minute muffins in the micro - maybe she would enjoy them and they are easy enough that she could make them and experiment with different flavors.

Hope you have a wonderful summer with the kids off school. I sure miss those busy, happy years but being a grandma is great fun as well!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #728
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I looked through this thread a couple of weeks ago and decided to buy the book. It's very good so I thought I might hang out here a little
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #729
Major LCF Poster!

For those who don't know, Dr. B is giving one of his web broadcasts on May 30th, at 7PM CST. Here is the link. The broadcast from last month is still available just now.

Best wishes to all.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #730
Senior LCF Member

thanks for the update Auntie Em! I usually work out on Wednesday nites but I'd love to hear the broadcast. Guess I need to rearrange my schedule.
I am hopefully back on the bandwagon. My indulgence in eating resulted in food poisoning and for two days did not eat and just started with bland foods today. so far so good. So I 've told myself it's time to begin my control of my diabetes again. I'm going to log all my food and bs numbers, which I have not done for a long, long time. And I'm going to lose some weight while controlling my bs numbers. I figure if I can make it thru a three day weekend I should be able to make it thru a week and maybe even a month or year or so! Yes!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merski View Post
thanks for the update Auntie Em! I usually work out on Wednesday nites but I'd love to hear the broadcast. Guess I need to rearrange my schedule.
I am hopefully back on the bandwagon. My indulgence in eating resulted in food poisoning and for two days did not eat and just started with bland foods today. so far so good. So I 've told myself it's time to begin my control of my diabetes again. I'm going to log all my food and bs numbers, which I have not done for a long, long time. And I'm going to lose some weight while controlling my bs numbers. I figure if I can make it thru a three day weekend I should be able to make it thru a week and maybe even a month or year or so! Yes!
One day at a time That is all we can do. Sometimes it is even a meal at a time, but taking it slow at first is a good thing.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #732
Senior LCF Member

thanks dawnyama. I do have to remind myself it is a meal by meal decision and hopefully it will take this time!!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #733
Major LCF Poster!

Merski, the broadcasts are usually left available for the next month, until the new broadcast comes out. I so appreciate being able to hear Dr. B's voice. I find him very inspiring.

Yep, one day at a time. And some days, that's one meal at a time, one bite at a time for me.

Best wishes to all.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #734
Major LCF Poster!

I find the place I really need to focus on diet is at the grocery store when I am shopping. If I don't bring it in the house I can't eat it lol. I tell myself to be the "guardian at the gate" each time I enter the store or whenever I find myself reaching for something not quite on plan at the store. No more excuses that I need to buy something "for the family" or for visitors. If it is not good for me it is not good for them. Fortunately my DH is very supportive.

Journaling and writing down meals and bg readings is great Merski. Good luck!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #735
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Anyone have the link to the last webcast 5/30?

Thanks...

chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #736
Major LCF Poster!

Chiody, the link I have says "this event is over". I don't know if they intended that, or if the times I have been able to listen to a previous broadcast, a few weeks later, was due to an oversight.

Perhaps someone else has a working link.

This is all I had.

Hope you are doing splendidly.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #737
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Chiody, the link I have says "this event is over". I don't know if they intended that, or if the times I have been able to listen to a previous broadcast, a few weeks later, was due to an oversight.

Perhaps someone else has a working link.

This is all I had.

Hope you are doing splendidly.
I'm doing well, thank you.... Just disappointed to have missed his telecast.

chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #738
Major LCF Poster!

Chiody, I'm glad you are doing well. I miss Dr. B's broadcasts sometimes, too, and always wish I hadn't.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #739

I have never listened to a chat and not even sure if I knew how to do so. I am guessing they are really good? I have seen him in the youtube videos and Dr B looks fantastic!!! I am quite impressed!!

Amy is starting to have higher blood sugar numbers. This is telling me that her routine is changing and that is not good! She is out of school and that means late nights and even later sleep ins. Not good for her blood sugar. She is eating later and not like she used to as school, and I think that is wreaking havoc with her numbers. At school she had to eat at the scheduled time--or she just wouldn't eat. And her lunches were pre-packed by her dad. She is now "let loose" with her eating. Food is available to her whenever she wants, she eats whatever she wants too. I have to set up some ground rules for her and she won't like it. I cannot hover over her because I have to work and cannot be with her all the time. DH is now just having her dose with more insulin but it isn't bringing the numbers down to normal numbers. The only thing different is her She is at DH's aunts house for the week so I can get in more hours at work, so we won't be instilling these new rules til the weekend. Oh this will be tough. But we have to get these numbers under control.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #740
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Dawn. Very hard to crack down on a kids diet. I feel for you but the health worries from unstable bgs are of real concern too. Hope Amy can learn to control her own diet and work to keep bgs down to normal levels. Must be very hard for a kid because look at all the adults that constantly struggle.

I know you will find a balance and wish you the best of luck.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #741

Well, my DH just called and her blood sugars are running in the 400s. He just changed her pump site and gave her new insulin. I don't know what is going on. She is at his aunt's house, but will be coming home tonight. She has never been that high since getting out of the hospital last year. She is showing no ketones, but this is quite puzzling to us and quite concerning. She feels fine. We are having her drink water and not get too upset about it, but it is worrying. I hope it is just the weather??!! DH thinks the insulin may be bad, or the pump isn't working quite right. But he just switched it out and still having high numbers. I am going to make some grab and go food for her to help her make those good decisions when I am not here during the day.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #742
Major LCF Poster!

It does sound like a pump or insulin problem but who knows. If it doesn't come down I would call the Dr. Good that you are watching her for ketoacidosis. Diabetes can be such a roller coaster ride! Maybe this will be a good reminder to all to watch the carbs and keep things from swinging out of control.

Hugs and praise to you all. You're doing great. Diabetes is tricky in kids especially and everyone has ups and downs. Hang in there.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #743

Well, we got it back under control. I think the problem is she prefers her belly for her insulin pump site. If you use one spot for too long then the skin gets too thick and the insulin doesn't go in to where it needs to be. After getting the pump site changed, my guess is it took a while for the insulin to work. But her numbers have gone down and stayed down today. Her pump site is now on her back. She likes the belly best because there is more fat there and it hurts less. But she needs to change it around some! Thanks for listening.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #744
Major LCF Poster!

Glad to hear she is doing better. I know I used to have to bribe some of my young patients to get them to let me change their pump sites in the hospital. Bought an awful lot of beanie babies the year I had that job lol.

Now that I have diabetes myself I have a much better understanding of just how tricky and frustrating it can be to control. Thank goodness for Dr Bernstein.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #745

I agree, shun. I love Dr B!!!! Diabetes is difficult to control and that leaves us frustrated as well as baffled. We are always blaming hormones or her age for the swings in her blood sugar because her food is basically the same. The doctor's office just tells us "she must be coming out of her honeymoon phase". We are slowly finding out that there are no answers. Stuff like what we just went through just happens. No rhyme or reason for it.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #746
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Hi all,
Thought I should check in since it's been a while ...
I read this last page to see what's up. Dawn, I hope the best for Amy.
Shunsweets , Wheat Belly was a good book ay? Now, Dr. Davis has another book called "Lose the Wheat lose the weight". I'm going to check it out from the public library.
Merski, is that a real Vespa you're driving? Real scooter riders fall a least once...
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #747

dogman---what a great looking dog you have there!! Looks a bit like my dog. My Milo is part jack russel terrier, part something else. We have yet to find out LOL. He is a cutie (the one in your avatar)

Amy is doing well. Not sure what was going on for that one spell. It may well could have been the pump site. That is all we have come up with. But her numbers have not alarmed us since then. Thank goodness.

Wow, didn't realize that Dr Davis has another book out already! That was mighty quick!! Will have to look into that one. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #748
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Hi everyone! I was trying to catch up on all the posts I missed since my last visit but I think it's hopeless! lol

I'm doing fine with most things diabetes-related but my weight loss has stalled & I'm bouncing around between 152 & 153 since Feb. I know I need to exercise but that's the hardest part for me, other than walking my two "granddogs" a couple of times a week I don't do anything very often, only in spurts. I'm tired a lot from lack of sleep (completely other story) so never have the "get up and go" to get up and go! lol I just printed out a 10-day pass to a local gym that has rowing machines, thought I'd check them out as they're an "everything at once" thing to do. I don't know if I can do that with a bad back, though. Will have to talk to a trainer, I guess.

Hello to the new people. I used to visit here regularly and it helped me a lot. Can't seem to do anything "regularly" anymore...but eat low carb. That's second nature to me now!

I found out that sugar alcohols are a no-no for me. I got addicted with just one pack of gum. I bought it just to have in my purse for those occasions I might worry about my breath, you know? Now that Wintergreen lifesavers are out of my life for every! lol Anyway, at home that night, I couldn't stop getting new pieces out of my purse. I ended up chewing up the whole pack. I thought it was just the novelty of it but I bought another pack and did the same thing. I realized I had gotten addicted to it that quickly because I couldn't stop thinking about it, and when I didn't have it I wanted to go buy it. It was very scary but I come from a long line of alcholics and recognized it right away. It's been months now and I still have to turn my back on the gum at the checkout counter.

Dawn, I didn't read back far enough to when your daughter got her pump but it sounds like it was the right decision.

I gotta run but I'll try to come back more often. I need to figure out what to do to get those pounds moving again and I'm sure the info is here somewhere! lol I know Dr. B. says to reduce protein but I'm barely getting the minimum now so not sure about that. I started plugging my daily food intake into fitness pal again just to double check. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to post the ticker here.

Jo
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #749
Senior LCF Member

I was going to upload a photo to show my progress but don't see how to add a picture to the post?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #750
Senior LCF Member

Maybe this will work? lol