Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #631
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
And let me share this too. You will get a kick out of this!! One of the "leaders" of the parental support group is a retired endocrinologist. We talked about a lot of stuff this last Sunday but she brought this up: the worst breakfast for a diabetic....cereal with milk!!! She said that the milk more than the cereal raises the blood sugar. Well I know that WE know that, but the one set of parents in the room were shocked!!! The mom actually said that her son eats that for breakfast every single day. Well, I guess no more. The endo did say that even with all the bad press we all hear about eggs, they really are the best food for breakfast. I was pleased to hear that because we do give our kids eggs for breakfast. We do have cereal from time to time, but our kids don't like milk (fortunately) so it really is an occasional thing for us. And Amy really doesn't like milk or cereal, well she doesn't like breakfast in general LOL.

Just thought I would pass along this little tidbit!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #632
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Funny, but I am able to consume milk w/o increase in BG but add the cereal and I am over the edge.
Grain based diet is what got me here....so sad.

The other thing about milk is, the more fat that is removed, the more lactose in the end product. Lactose is more in the milk part which is why Dr B and LC recommend cream or half and half.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #633
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Hi guys,

My brother-in-law who lives in Finland said that there is now a butter shortage there and nearby Norway, because people there are catching on to LC... From what I've heard, Finland has a very high rate of diabetes. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with type 2 about a year ago.

"The reasons behind the Norwegian butter shortage are similar to those recognized also in Finland.
The demand is suspected of having skyrocketed as more and more people now favor low-carbohydrate diets and organic food.
Furthermore, last summer was rainy and the quality of animal feed weakened. As a result, milk production suffered, reports Norwegian dairy Tine, which more or less has a butter monopoly in the country.
In a wider context, however, Norway’s Customs policy is also to blame, for it makes it practically impossible for the shops to replenish their shelves with imported butter."
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #634

Wow!! I don't know what I would do if we had no butter and ran into this situation. Of course it is a good thing that everyone is catching on to LC too
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #635
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
High fat dairy - butter and cream and a bit of cheese - are staples in my diet. I would really suffer in a butter shortage! Guess I would just have to use more coconut oil but my body and bgs really like butter LOL.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #636
Senior LCF Member

So, shunsweets, looks like you'll exceed your walking mileage this year !!! Way to go!!!

I like cream cheese softened up in the micro for about 33 seconds add some toasted marshmallow DaVinci flavoring, sprinkle some coconut flakes on top. I think I'm eating some kind of cheese cake.
So, they can go ahead add take my butter away if they want!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #637
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Dogman. Yes I made my annual goal! Consistency is the key and I do feel better with regular exercise. Can't quite go with Dr Bernstein's weights plan but I do carry weights when I walk. It's the best I can do and really stick with it. Actually exercise seems to raise my bgs but I think it is so good for my body I do it anyway.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #638
Senior LCF Member

What a discovery I found, at least I think so...
I happen to check Amazon concerning Atkins. Well one thing lead to another. Usually, before I buy a book, I check to see if the library has it. I borrowed the" Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution: The High Calorie Way to Stay Thin Forever" (1972 Edition). I'm really glad I did. Very interesting to say the least for a book written 40 years ago. Liked it so much I bought it on Amazon for 38 cents and the regular shipping charge.
Today I made something called Diet Revolution Rolls. So easy and very good with caraway and sesame seeds. I reminds me of a croissant. Add butter,ham, smoked turkey and cheese and you've got a excellent sandwich with hardly a carb! Sheesh , what a deal! I liked it so much I made another batch for tomorrow's breakfast. So I'm think'in eggs,sausage and cheese, McDogman Sandwich. Yeah Baby !
That lead me to check out the nice people at the Atkins 72 thread . Very Interesting...

I'm going to see how if I can get the ketone test strips to change to a very noticeable color. I was never able to really see much but a light pink color on the Ketostix. I'd like to get my Body Fat Percent to 10 % so far I'm slightly lower than 14% . Logging food and progress on ****** is a great tool to keep track of those things.

Diet? What Diet!!!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #639
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
That Atkins book is priceless, IMHO. I got a brand new (never read) copy w the jacket at the thrift store for a buck. I see them every once in a while and just want to buy them all.

I have not made revolution rolls but have baked up oopsies. I may try the original, though.

Don't forget that if you drink lots of fluid that the sticks will show a lighter color since the urine will be more dilute.

10% would be amazing.....
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Jem,
Thanks for the tip... What are oopsies?
I've been LCing for almost 2 years and I keep learning new things all the time.
I'm really proud of Mrs. Dogman, she's at an all time low in her weight today! This "diet"is costing me money though, she needs some new smaller clothes every few weeks. Back to Kolh's again !!! Also, when she hits a significant number on the scale she gets another Pandora bead... Sheesh!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #641
Major LCF Poster!

I love the original Atkins book too. Have made the revolution rolls many times but it has been a while. I should try them again. Your sandwich sounds great Dogman. I'm skinny so not concerned with weight loss but most Atkins recipes that have no grains work well for my bgs and I enjoy a high fat diet - all a good match with Bernstein.
And congrats to Mrs. Dogman!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #642

Wow is Amy having some wacked out blood sugars. I mean really high numbers we haven't seen in a long time. Must be all the Christmasy treats I am making. I must cut back on what I am baking. She won't even entertain the thought of eating some of my really good low carb things. So if I bake some of those things, that won't work for her. I must say that I have been eating whatever too and it is about killing me. My fingers and knees are all swollen up and stiff. I do know that if I low carb then I don't have this issue. All these people with arthritis and on meds for it. I believe that if they are having the same issues I am currently, were put on a low carb diet they would not need the meds. Hmmmm... I cannot tell if it is the sugar or the wheat doing me in, but does it really matter? If I low carb I cut out both essentially. I think if I can get back to low carbing then maybe it will be easier to get Amy back on track too.

Dogman, I love those revolution rolls. They make a mean sausage mcmuffin. I ate them all the time while pregnant with Amy---sausage egg and cheese is what I lived on back then. Must remember to make more of those rolls, haven't had them in a long time. Maybe something to try today. Glad you found them and told us about them!!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #643
Senior LCF Member

Those wacked out blood sugar numbers make me nervous... I don't want to be a haunt but I think it's so vitally important to try to log what a person eats in order to be fully aware of where those carbs can sneak in without being aware of it.
Sounds like nit picking I know but it works in preventing "carb creep". A small little note pad or ****** works for me.
OK, now I'm off my soap box...
I'll tell you, that Atkins 1972 book is pretty good IMO. Today's breakfast was tomato delights, with ham slices on the side. Broiled tomato slices,bacon,melted cheese , mayo and a bit of krazy salt. 3 minutes and they're done... And, oh yes, a couple of strawberries halves for some color.
Tonight, the stuffed sole from the book.
Ah, just the thought...

Last edited by dogman; 12-20-2011 at 06:58 AM..
Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #644

Well, maybe I should have put it another way dogman LOL. We are still trying to find the right dosing with her pump. We were expecting to have a rough month while figuring the right dose out. Her numbers are better since DH changed the basal rate just this weekend. At least the morning numbers are back to normal. We go tomorrow for her first follow up appointment with her pump. We will see how that goes...will update after we get back.

DH wants to stop tracking what she is eating, I disagree. I want to keep a log of what she is eating. So we are working on that too. I also know that her blood sugar numbers are a bit off because of her stomach issues that are still unresolved. The ultrasound she had showed a great looking gallbladder so we are still investigating what could be the cause of her pain. She has noted that her blood sugar correlates to her stomach pain. Her stomach hurts and her blood sugar is normal, her stomach is fine and the numbers are higher. We will be bringing this up to the doc tomorrow for sure.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #645
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SparrowRose
Stats: 312/260/211/140
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
She has noted that her blood sugar correlates to her stomach pain. Her stomach hurts and her blood sugar is normal, her stomach is fine and the numbers are higher. We will be bringing this up to the doc tomorrow for sure.
I may be completely off the mark here, but this rings a bell with something my doctor was telling me last week. You may want to have her ruled out for porphyria. With some forms of porphyria, the stomach hurts if a person doesn't get enough carbohydrates. The carbs would take away the pain, but drive the blood sugar up.

Like I say, I may be out in left field and porphyrias are rare (and doctors always say if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras), but you might want to have a glance in that direction anyway, just to be sure. It's extremely unlikely, but my doctor having mentioned it so recently brought it right to mind.

Sparrow
SparrowRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #646
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
To those of you who have Dr. B's newest book:

Is there anything new in the explanation of metabolism or blood sugar or diet?

My library system doesn't have the new book yet.

The list of new things on one of Dr. B's sites, diabetes911, doesn't state anything about new info on science, but only the following:

Dr. Bernstein's Newly Revised and Updated Diabetes Solution

New pharmaceuticals for treating Type 2 diabetes – what works and how to use them.
Pros and cons of inhaled insulin, insulin pumps and continuous blood sugar monitors.
How to make sense out of the many new insulin analogues and insulin mixtures: which to avoid, which to use and how to use them.
How to get by after the removal from the marketplace of the only long lasting human insulin.
How to curb the carbohydrate craving, overeating and resultant weight gain caused by beta cell loss and resultant amylin deficit, using new amylin analogues.
Debunks the exaggerated claims for new diabetes products and highlights those of value.
Since its first publication in 1997, DR. BERNSTEIN’S DIABETES SOLUTION has become the bible for diabetics. Dr. Richard Bernstein’s groundbreaking approach to diabetes care enables you to take control of the disease by normalizing your blood sugars. Dr. Bernstein himself is living proof of the success of his methods. Diagnosed with diabetes at age twelve, he was a successful business executive and engineer when he worked out a way to normalize his blood sugars. This, in turn reversed many of the longterm complications he had suffered from for years. At the age of forty-five, he entered medical school in order to publish his findings and eventually treat other diabetics.

In this newly revised and updated edition, Dr. Bernstein provides an accessible, detailed guide to his revolutionary approach to regulating blood sugars and outlines his methods for preventing or reversing the long-term complications of diabetes. He offers the most up-to-date information on new products, medications, and supplements. He explains the connection between obesity and Type 2 diabetes, shows how to interrupt the cycle of obesity and insulin resistance, and reveals a new method for losing weight quickly and easily. With a strong emphasis on proper diet, Dr. Bernstein tells you what foods to avoid and why. His indispensable discussion of dietary planning includes guidelines for creating a customized meal plan, complete with low-carb, high-protein gourmet recipes.

Dr. Bernstein discusses the most recent breakthrough science and potential cures, including new uses of medication and exercise approaches to control weight. The only book to detail step-by-step methods for normalizing blood sugars in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, DR. BERNSTEIN’S DIABETES SOLUTION will help you take charge of your diabetes and live a longer, healthier life.

Thanks, in advance, for any book reports.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #647
Major LCF Poster!

Happy New Year Bersteiners!
AuntieEm - I have decided not to purchase the newer edition of Dr Berstein's book as my original copy is only 2 years old and I think the very newest info is better found online anyway. Now if I didn't have a copy I would definitely purchase the new one as this is one book I frequently go back to and it is worthwhile to have my own copy. Most other books, except a few cookbooks, I get from the library or on my kindle.

My plans for 2012 - continue with my high fat, very low carb, low protein diet. I usually do about 80%fat, 15% protein, 5%carbs. Also I plan to continue to walk 3-5 miles daily with weights. Most importantly I work to maintain a positive attitude and treasure every moment with my DH who is battling cancer. There will be plenty of time to cry in the future.

I wish all the readers a wonderful 2012.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #648

That sounds great shun!!! Happy New Year y'all!!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #649
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Shunsweets and Dawn,
Best wishes to everyone for 2012 !
Hey, I got my Atkins Revolution 1972 book the other day from A...com
Some very interesting reading. I think of how I could have avoided some grief if I would have checked out this book back in the 70's. I've been making Revolution Roll almost daily. What's so great is, I can make variations with cinnamon or caraway or sesame seeds. With the cinnamon kind I add some cream cheese with a sprinkle of stevia with a cup of coffee it's like having a doughnut.
Shunsweets, what kind of cancer does DH have? I recently had a little problem with melanoma. The thought of it coming back is in the back of my mind.I hope for the best for your DH. Supposedly ,eating LC starves cancer by not supply it with sugar(glucose) which it feeds on. I read that PET scans are preformed by injecting radioactive glucose material to which the cancer can be detected by sugar (glucose) metabolism. Damn that cancer!

So shun, how many miles are you going for this year?
For me its doing body weight exercises and trying to increase muscle or being a little more lean.

Going to Penn today, maybe get a little four legged friend. Love dem darn dogs...

Last edited by dogman; 01-02-2012 at 03:49 AM..
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #650
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman
My goal is 1200 miles for 2012- 100 per month. I hope you find a lovely new dog - they add so much to our lives. My DH has metastatic prostate CA. He has had surgery, radiation, and chemo but it still keeps coming back. Don't know what's next - he's getting very tired but I hope he keeps fighting. I can't imagine life without him. He is the love of my life. We've been together almost 40 years and if anything happens to him it's time for me to go too. For now it's time to enjoy and treasure every minute together. He does eat a lower carb diet. Did Atkins 7 years ago to lose 10 pounds and stayed lower carb ever since. Not Bernstein low but way lower than the standard American diet. I hope it does help slow down any cancer cells.
Hope everyone is off to a great start in 2012. Wish we could get a really active thread going here to keep us on track and support each other.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #651

dogman,

I love my library!! I have gotten a few books on diabetes from there when DD was first diagnosed. Atkins has an entire book written for those with type 2 diabetes. I would have checked that out, but have since learned that type 1 and type 2 diabetes are so opposite, they should not even be associated with each other!!! If I find I like a book a lot, then I can go ahead and spend the money on the book so I can keep it and refer to it often. I love my original Atkins so much that I have a few copies on hand here at home!!

Shun--I wish we could get going on being more active too. I sometimes feel as if I am posting by myself and for myself. But I just keep on posting and know that I may help someone who is just lurking and afraid to post. I really do wish your DH well. My stepdad passed this summer from colon cancer. He had been fighting it for 5 years. Enjoy the time you have now because you don't know how much longer you will have. My stepdad went downhill very, very quickly. I mean within a week. He was well up until then. His doctor said he was the healthiest "sick" man he had seen in a while. We were all surprised to have him let go so fast.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #652
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Shun--I wish we could get going on being more active too. I sometimes feel as if I am posting by myself and for myself. But I just keep on posting and know that I may help someone who is just lurking and afraid to post.
I don't always post because I can't always think of something good to say but I wanted to say that I read everything that comes through this thread and I *do* find it helpful!

And, Shun, your walking inspired me to keep track of miles this year, too. I'm off to a bad start because I'm limping around on a flare-up of achilles tendonitis right now (it comes and goes. I think it's because I'm still carrying too much weight. Also, I've been told that tendon damage is one of the less-talked-about complications of high blood sugar and I suspect that's why I have so much trouble with my feet.)

But even with that (and with my feet still feeling funny, even though I seem to have recovered just fine from the frostbite) I've managed to get 1.577 miles in so far this year. Not bad for someone whose barely getting around. But I think I'm going to rest my feet today and see where things go. I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday and I don't want to stress my tendons out so badly I can't get there.

Sparrow
Old 01-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #653
Major LCF Poster!

Dawn - I read and enjoy all your posts and have been following your daughter's progress with interest and prayers. I also have made your ham casserole - yummy! Lets just keep posting and see what happens. I sense that you struggle to keep Amy's diet where you would like it. It is more of a balancing act of insulin and diet with type 1 and kids need more than we do while they are growing. I think you are doing great!

Sparrow - Good for you staying active while fighting an injury. You are right elevated bg does make one prone to tendon problems. Dr B talks about it in the book. Any exercise is better than no exercise I always say. Just be careful not to hurt yourself. I switched from jogging to walking due to injury so know what you are facing.

Tomorrow everyone goes back to work and school and life gets back to normal. I love the holidays but look forward to getting back on the usual schedules. I've been feeling sorry for myself with the family off and me working straight through but I sure am glad I have a job.

Now back to real life. We can do this.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #654
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Sparrow - Good for you staying active while fighting an injury. You are right elevated bg does make one prone to tendon problems. Dr B talks about it in the book. Any exercise is better than no exercise I always say. Just be careful not to hurt yourself. I switched from jogging to walking due to injury so know what you are facing.
Thanks! The thing that bites is all the extra correction boluses I have to do during exercise downtime. I'm afraid to adjust my basal for inactivity because as soon as I'm feeling up to it, I'll be taking my 5 mile walks again and then I'll spend the day going low because my basal was too high.

So when I'm not able to be active because the tendons are flaring up, I have to check my sugar and correct every four hours. I hate it, though, because I woke up with WAY high sugar today because of it. If I were on a pump, it would be so much easier to just have an activity setting and a not-activity setting and switch my basal back and forth as needed.

I need a pump anyway because my sleep disorder means I miss a lot of basal dose times. I split my basal in half and if I sleep through a basal, I take it when I wake up and move my basal times - like if I was injecting at midnight and noon, it might shift to 1am and 1pm. Splitting it and moving it when my sleep moves seem to help a lot but I'm still not pleased with my A1c at all and wish I had a pump to take care of my basal problems. I have zero trouble with bolus doses, but basal is kicking my butt!

But medicaid turned me down for a pump because my sleep disorder is rare and my doctor didn't explain it to them very well so they said "type 2 doesn't need a pump." I have a new diabetes doctor now and she seems to be really good.

I see my new doctor again on Thursday to discuss the results of all the tests she sent me to take and I also gave her a report I wrote out about my sleep disorder that explains how it affects my diabetes (I have that online, too, if anyone's curious at all to see what I deal with. It's available here: http://sparrowrose.com/sleep/Hyperny...d%20Me_2_1.pdf )

I'm curious to see if she thinks a pump would help me and if she's more willing to try to advocate for me with medicaid than my last doctor was (my last doctor was actually just a nurse practitioner at the low-income clinic. This new doctor is an internist who studied endocrinology at Mayo Clinic. My clinic decided my diabetes was too complicated for them to handle and so they referred me to the new doctor.)

Sparrow
Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #655
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Shunsweets, thanks for your post on Dr. B's book. I, too, find your walking inspiring. Am sending you and your DH lots of good thoughts.

Best wishes to all for a happy, healthy 2012!
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #656
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
milk

Quote:
And let me share this too. You will get a kick out of this!! One of the "leaders" of the parental support group is a retired endocrinologist. We talked about a lot of stuff this last Sunday but she brought this up: the worst breakfast for a diabetic....cereal with milk!!! She said that the milk more than the cereal raises the blood sugar. Well I know that WE know that, but the one set of parents in the room were shocked!!! The mom actually said that her son eats that for breakfast every single day. Well, I guess no more. The endo did say that even with all the bad press we all hear about eggs, they really are the best food for breakfast. I was pleased to hear that because we do give our kids eggs for breakfast. We do have cereal from time to time, but our kids don't like milk (fortunately) so it really is an occasional thing for us. And Amy really doesn't like milk or cereal, well she doesn't like breakfast in general LOL.

Just thought I would pass along this little tidbit!!
Hi Dawn. Have you tried Almond milk? I love it. I get the unsweetened one and sometimes I add Stevia to it. But I mostly drink it as is.
I can't drink milk either. It sends my B/S through the roof! Oatmeal, I loved. Now I can never eat it again. There is so many foods I can never eat again!
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #657
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone,

I checked up on some of the past comments. Great to see some new people to the thread. Dawn, how's Amy doing ? Good I hope.
I'm reading an excellent book called "Wheat Belly" by William Davis MD.Some people have commented on eating "cereals" . If anyone's eating some of those "healthy whole grains" especially wheat products read this book for a real wake-up call.
My recent visit to my quack doctor said my total and LDL cholesterol was too high. He suggested I of course take statins. The "Wheat Belly" book describes how the "Bad" cholesterol LDL is really a fictitious number and how they calculate it. And, sure enough when I did the math involving my own LDL the number, it came out exactly to the fictitious number of my blood work. At the time of the visit I asked that he do the test for the large and small LDL particles. "No go", he said because he said he wasn't familiar with that! He suggested I see a cardiologist. If I go that route I'll insist on the test for the large and smalls particles using NMR process. Also, a CT scan would really determine if I have calcium plaque build (CAC) up in my heart and would settle the issue.
OK , I'll go and settle now for a while and cool down...
A great breakfast is Egg Frittata, Wow, so good and easy to make. The whole pan goes in the oven and before you know it's ready. I thought I was eating a pizza.worth trying

Take Care Everyone...

Last edited by dogman; 01-30-2012 at 06:06 AM..
Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #658
Blabbermouth!!!

dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Hi everyone,

I checked up on some of the past comments. Great to see some new people to the thread. Dawn, how's Amy doing ? Good I hope.
I'm reading an excellent book called "Wheat Belly" by William Davis MD.Some people have commented on eating "cereals" . If anyone's eating some of those "healthy whole grains" especially wheat products read this book for a real wake-up call.
My recent visit to my quack doctor said my total and LDL cholesterol was too high. He suggested I of course take statins. The "Wheat Belly" book describes how the "Bad" cholesterol LDL is really a fictitious number and how they calculate it. And, sure enough when I did the math involving my own LDL the number, it came out exactly to the fictitious number of my blood work. At the time of the visit I asked that he do the test for the large and small LDL particles. "No go", he said because he said he wasn't familiar with that! He suggested I see a cardiologist. If I go that route I'll insist on the test for the large and smalls particles using NMR process. Also, a CT scan would really determine if I have calcium plaque build (CAC) up in my heart and would settle the issue.
OK , I'll go and settle now for a while and cool down...
A great breakfast is Egg Frittata, Wow, so good and easy to make. The whole pan goes in the oven and before you know it's ready. I thought I was eating a pizza.worth trying

Take Care Everyone...
Hello dogman, and everyone
I could live of pizza! Can you post the link to this wonderful sounding Egg Frittata
???

I totally agree to not taking statins! Statins should be pulled of the market!

I am going to get the book you are talking about. I have a LOT to learn about this WOE yall are doing on this thread. I am diabetic and in the doctors opinion I too should be on Statins!

I was on them 10 years ago. No way will I ever put another one in my body!

Last edited by marylouise; 01-30-2012 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: thought added
Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #659
Major LCF Poster!

Wheat Belly was a great book. I read it and then passed it on to my daughter who is also gluten intolerant. I'll never eat grains again.

I ditched the statins 4 years ago and have felt much better without them (I ditched the doc who ordered them as well!).

marylouise -you look wonderful. It is hard that we give up some favorite foods but so worth it in terms of health and preventing diabetes complications. I'll trade oatmeal for my eyesight any day. But I do feel sorry for myself sometimes.

Hey Dogman I want the frittata recipe too!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #660
Blabbermouth!!!

I feel so much better than I did this time last year. I have been using insulin for a couple of years. When I made my mind up to stop the insulin, which I read was bad for me, I stopped using it. I was on pills and eating what I wanted to. When the pills stopped working I was put on insulin. I don't know how much I weighed before the insulin, but I bloomed up to at least 300.

I am with the millions of ppl that are {WAS} blind to the effects of insulin on the human body. Unless one is born type 1 or develops it in their youth they should never be put on insulin.

I ate anything I wanted on insulin. I was so dumb!

Today I am insulin resistant and have Leptin issues.
I have a list as long as my arm of foods I can never eat again!
Plus I don't really understand the Leptin thing. I have a ton of reading to do.

I will be 61 years old in April. I know I can not play around this time with my food and my weight loss. To do so will be my demise!

I'm so thankful I found you guys.