Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #601
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
I tell ya', this infuriates me. I'm not on insulin but if I ever have to be hospitalized, I'm having my Dr. B. book & letter in hand! I usually bend over backwards to avoid unpleasant hassles with people just trying to do their job, but I will not be pushed into eating carbs & raising my blood sugar!
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #602
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Hi Everyone,
Looks like the Bernsteiniens are alive and active.
Since I last posted I had a little problem with melanoma on my arm and had to have it removed. Well, now I have a nice 5" scar. It makes for great story telling, like the time I saved a five year old girl from an escaped tiger at the zoo. Pretty neat ay ?
Actually, I had the mysterious mold for maybe eight years. I kept watching it for the A,B,C,D and E signs. Should'a went a little earlier...
Dawn, Did you see me fly by? I went to Florida to see Mum. Those "Doctors" had her on two cholesterol meds and recently had her stop. Her LDL is now 103. She's way under weight and eats low fat /no fat nonsense no wonder she very under-weight . My Dr. suggest I take statins because my LDL is 211. I mention the large and the dense particles with in the LDL. Not sue if he was paying attention... Hey doc I said , my Trigs are 108 and HDL is 53; what,s wrong with that? Yeah he said that's pretty good. Sure , there's room for improvement but meds won't make things better.
Mean while I'll go fabricate another story about the battle scare I got in a bar when 5 Hell Angles and the Dogman had it out...Cover Me I'm Go'in In....
Wooof
Dawn,All the best to DD
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #603
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Sorry to hear you have a scar, but better a scar than any kind of cancer growing. Isn't it great to now be thinking of things to say when people ask, "what is that from?" Haha! I promise those doctor's know nothing about cholesterol. It infuriates me to no end. Just pill pushers they are. Ugh!

Thanks!! We are waiting for the insulin pump to arrive. The doctor's office said it was to get to our house yesterday. Still waiting..........Next week is her appointment to have it set up. That is if it ever shows up!! She is looking forward to that. I will update when we get it.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #604
Senior LCF Member

Don't know if many people listen to Jimmy Moore's recorded interviews or visit his very informative web site. Very worthwhile... Many of the people he interviews are LCers, Drs and nutritional experts. He's even interviewed Dr B . There's an extensive archive to listen to. Mr. Moore has a book on A______.com .

Hey, did I tell you the time I was climbing Mt. Everest and saved a team of mountaineers from certain death. Well, that's how I got that scar on my arm.....
Old 10-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #605
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Dogman.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #606

Too cool Dogman!!! Only you could come up with that one.

Amy's pump is still not here. So all her follow up appointments may have to be adjusted. Now that I have asked for all those dates off from work, I have to re-work them. This is getting to be a very complicated affair. Not to mention all the school Amy will be missing with the work of getting this all taken care of. Geesh!! Hopefully we will know next week when we get her pump. Her insulin pump rep is on vacation this week and the lady in the office who coordinates these appointments won't be in next week How complicated does this have to be.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #607
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
Start Date: 9/2010
Gosh Dawn all those delays have got to up the stress level a bunch . I'm excited for your daughter and hope this will give her a break from the endless injections.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #608
Senior LCF Member

Hey shunsweets, sounds like you'd be a good candidate for setting up a chin-up bar. I put an inexpensive one on my deck. It's made with strap webbing and a 1" gas pipe. When the chin-ups get too easy you can add the weighted vest. I while back I bought some ankle weight for walking. Sure makes a difference when I need resistance when walking. That's some pretty impressive mileage you do. That's more that 3 miles a day on average ! When Mrs. Dogman and I were in Florida recently we walked 2,3, and 5 miles on different days. Walking on the beach is a real workout...
Dawn, thinking of DD ...

Yesterday's Breakfast:
Cod Liver Oil
1/2 Avocado w Cranberries in the middle.
2 Brazil nuts
38 Chopped Almonds, 1Tbsp Flaxmeal, 3 Tbsp Heavy Cream, Almond Milk.
3 Slices Ham
2 Jellos
2 Cheese Sticks
Coffee w cream

Last edited by dogman; 10-24-2011 at 05:51 AM..
Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #609

Ok. Just got off the phone with the rep for the insulin pump. The doc has not even signed the form for Amy's pump!! So all this waiting for the mail and our appointments---put on hold. The rep said that she was the one who needed to set up the appointments and NOT the doc's office because she gets the insurance approval and knows when I will indeed be receiving the pump. They are just running on empty brain cells at the doctor's office. Makes me feel confidence in them....not!! I knew my first instincts about this office were on the money. I didn't like them at all. Ugh!!!! So more hurry up and waiting over here.

I just made this last night for dinner and it was a hit:

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

It is a standby casserole I make and Amy gives it 2 thumbs up!!! I switch out the bacon with sausage (the one that comes in a roll--Jimmy Dean is what I find on sale and use) for more flavor. It was almost gone last night, my eldest son ate 3 servings he loved it that much.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #610
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman the park I walk in actually has stations around the trails where one can do pull ups on a bar, sit-ups on a bench, balance beams, monkey bars ect. I see the hound athletic guys who pass me running and stopping at these stations. I'm an old grandma and happy just to be walking but I do enjoy the scenery LOL. I used to wear ankle weights but found my knees started to bother me so gave them up. You are right they really do increase the intensity when walking. I should try them again.

How frustrating Dawn. I hate waiting on insurance approvals and medical office mix ups. Hang in there eventually it will all work out. Thanks for the casserole link. Looks yummy.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Dawn, that really bites to hear about the frustration you're going through...As dumb as this sounds ( please forgive me) but sometimes events turn out for the better.
Hopefully, you'll find a better place for DD to go to.
If it weren't for me having had extremely high triglycerides, very low HDL( good for heart attacks) almost 2 years ago, it wouldn't have lead to making dietary changes that helped drastically drop my triglycerides and raise my HDL, without meds. The change in diet lead to the Lady Dogman reducing her weight by 65 lbs and still making progress. From my viewpoint, a bad thing turned into sometime pretty darn good.

Hey, that casserole sure looks delicious . I'll be right over for dinner !
Old 11-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #612
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
Hi everyone, I am lowcarbing and reading through the different threads, so I found this one.

Just thought I'd chime in that Dr. Bernstein just revised his book, and it's available now on amazon. Even though I don't follow his plan I love his books. Dr. Bernstein really knows what he's talking about and has done so much for diabetics. I do believe I'll be ordering it.
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #613

Oh, thanks for the reminder that his book revision comes out in Nov!!! I had forgotten that.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #614
Senior LCF Member

Well, excuse me... I ordered my copy on Nov 1 and it's on it's way for delivery maybe today or Saturday.
I learned a lot from his podcast. My problem is more often than not, I forget to listen in live so I listen to his podcast a day or two later .

Has anyone tried the French Toast made with pork rinds?
I've made it twice so far. It at first sounds pretty strange to use pork rinds but I must say I like it. I'm only good for two french toast pancakes since they fill me up.
Recently, I've been reducing my consumption of caffeine ( don't know how long that will last, I like coffee) an interesting book is Caffeine Blues. I case you were wondering...

Last edited by dogman; 11-04-2011 at 06:04 AM..
Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #615

dogman.....I love my coffee too!!! I don't know if I can do without it now. In fact when my doc told me to get rid of it, I did......for a while. I didn't see any difference without it so I kept it in my food plan. I drink 3 cups a day. Yes, working at Starbucks will do that to ya!! At least I drink "coffee" coffee, not froufrou coffee!! Good luck to you on cutting back.

Just got word that Amy's pump has been approved by the insurance company and is on its way!!!! Yeah!!! She told me we would receive it tomorrow, but I keep saying "my UPS does NOT deliver on Saturdays!!" I don't expect it until Monday. But it means that we don't have to cancel her appointment on Weds. She sees the endocrinologist on Monday for a regular check up. I will update then on her A1C. I don't know what to expect.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #616

Well, I am in shock!! The UPS man delivered Amy's pump today!!! Bright and early too. What a shock!!! I am so glad to have received it in time for us to play with it before Weds. Amy is quite excited because it came with a phone. It is not a functioning phone but she can bring it to school and show it off to her friends. It is a calculator and has other functions she needs to have it for and it really is necessary for her to carry it with her.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #617
Senior LCF Member

Got my super duper new updated "Diabetes Solution" on Monday. Previously, I had borrowed the book from the library "several" times. From the get go, I didn't notice any new recipes in there. Then again , I've got several books to cover me with inspiration for a few years...

Dawn,there's info in the book about the Pros and Cons for using the pump.Not sure if this info was in previous editions.
Hope all goes well.

Mrs. Dogman's friend who's a type two was impressed by my wife's substantial weight loss.
The friend decided to try LCing and remarked how her BS were never under 140 for several years until the reduction in carbs. Geez, too bad to take so long to get real results. Hopefully she can much better results in the very near future...and prevent all the complications associated with high carbs.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #618
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Type2
Stats: 290/228/150
WOE: SouthBeach'07/Diabetes Diet'10
Start Date: 11/21/2010
Hi guys! I was thinking of ordering the updated one, but not sure enough has changed. I'm on Victoza and Prandin. Does he cover those meds?

Last edited by Type2; 11-09-2011 at 12:35 AM..
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #619
Senior LCF Member

Type 2,
I hope I can remember to look that up in the when I get home today. Men, like myself have what's usually know as CRS, Can't Remember Shtuff.

I recently saw a recipe for French Toast by making it with eggplant. Looks like that's on the breakfast menu for tomorrow...

Last edited by dogman; 11-09-2011 at 05:20 AM..
Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Got my super duper new updated "Diabetes Solution" on Monday. Previously, I had borrowed the book from the library "several" times. From the get go, I didn't notice any new recipes in there. Then again , I've got several books to cover me with inspiration for a few years...

Dawn,there's info in the book about the Pros and Cons for using the pump.Not sure if this info was in previous editions.
Hope all goes well.

Mrs. Dogman's friend who's a type two was impressed by my wife's substantial weight loss.
The friend decided to try LCing and remarked how her BS were never under 140 for several years until the reduction in carbs. Geez, too bad to take so long to get real results. Hopefully she can much better results in the very near future...and prevent all the complications associated with high carbs.
Thanks dogman. I will have to investigate. Just having the contraption this week with saline, I am not so keen on it myself. But we shall see how it goes. She is on the pump that has wires and she didn't like to ride her bike with it on. The wires get in the way with everything too. She tucks it in her pants, but it doesn't stay. And then when she has to wear a dress.....so many issues to be worked out I go in with Amy today for her appointment to switch it out with the insulin. Wish us well!!

Oh, and part of Amy's doctors OK for her to start the pump was because her blood sugar numbers are doing well. We are very cautious that she doesn't have high numbers and watch what she eats and yet she still eats what she wants. They were saying that lots of kids have high blood sugars and nothing is being done. I cannot believe the fact that some parents are not taking this seriously and doing ALL they can to help their children. I mean I hear stories here from y'all, but I am really in the minority?? Just makes me kinda when I hear of kids having blood sugars in the 300s. We freak out if it is in the 200s!!! Sometimes you just want to to some people to knock some sense into them.

Ah, will update after today's appointment.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #621
Major LCF Poster!

Good Luck Dawn. We'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

You are right it is very worrisome that parents aren't taking D seriously in their children. But then look at all the type 2 adults who simply refuse to consider a LC diet and run around with highly elevated bgs. So sad. People always want an easy answer and with D it is a lifelong battle not a simple solution. Good for you that you are so helpful and proactive for your daughter!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #622
Senior LCF Member

Dawn,

"On the Horizon" page 52 of Dr.B's new book,sounds like a ray of hope for Type 1s. The very promising potential for beta cell replication! He stresses the need to take the strain off remaining beta cells ASAP to allow them to survive for future replication to be successful. Taking action early like you did is a plus on your side...
Old 11-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #623

yeah!! That is great news dog!!! Glad you are enjoying the new book. I may have to put that on my wish list for Christmas.

Amy got switched over to the pump yesterday and could not be happier. She is no longer on any shots at all!!! We just have to keep closer tabs on her blood sugars to make sure she is on the correct dose of insulin. She may go hypo (too low like she was when we first started her on insulin therapy) again and we need to head those off. She has already had great bedtime numbers last night--I hope that is a trend that she continues. The whole reason we are doing this--more even numbers throughout the 24 hour cycle. I will keep y'all updated as we progress through this process.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #624

Oh, I have forgotten to update y'all on my Amy. I referred someone on the main lobby to join us over here today so I thought why not check in? Amy is doing well on the pump!! We are seeing better blood sugar numbers (tighter control) with the pump, and Amy is not having to stick herself all the time so it is a win-win situation!!! She is refusing to have any other spots that the needle/insertion thing goes into other than her tummy but other than that, we are happy. Tomorrow is our type 1 diabetes support group meeting so we hope to learn more then. Like what accessories to get for her to wear it without wires hanging everywhere LOL.

She is having stomach troubles. She has spent the last 3 days home from school because she has been in terrible pain. On Weds her blood sugar was elevated and it is when the pain started. I finally got her to the pediatrician yesterday and she said it was time for a gastroenterology appointment. This is her second bout of stomach pain and she just cannot bear any more pain. Heck I cannot bear to watch her wince in pain. She prescribed some meds to coat her stomach so she can finally have some relief and after 3 days she did finally get some relief last night before eating dinner!! It could be that she is having H pylori, ulcers or celiac disease. So many choices and we have to find out what is causing her such pain. I hope her gastro appointment is sooner rather than later. I will keep y'all updated.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #625
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SparrowRose
Stats: 312/260/211/140
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I referred someone on the main lobby to join us over here today
That would be me. Hello, y'all!

Quote:
It could be that she is having H pylori, ulcers or celiac disease.
Definitely keep an eye on celiac. It is not uncommon for celiac and type 1 to walk hand-in-hand.

My doctor won't test me for celiac, but keeping a food diary showed me how bad gluten made me feel and how much better I felt without it, so I just behave as if I were celiac.

Hope your daughter feels better soon and congrats on the pump!

To all: my husband is in the hospital and I'm looking for Dr. B-approved stuff I can carry around to eat. I'm looking for little or no pre-prep (my oven is broken and my husband's situation is serious enough that I don't feel like taking time away from him to get the oven fixed right now. I pretty much stay in his room until they kick me out and then I go home to sleep.) No refrigeration required (can't use fridge here, can't store things in his room, already carrying too much stuff back and forth, just don't want to deal with the hassle of chilling things.)

Basically, pretend I'm going on a day-hike with no campfire or stove, no hunting privileges, and living on a Dr. B diet -- what would you put in my backpack? (but since I only have to carry it from the car to his room, it can be heavier than hiking food, of course.)

(On top of all this, I'm extremely low income, so try to steer away from really expensive foods. Before this crisis hit, I mainly lived on ground beef, salad, eggs, cheese, and whatever cuts of discount meat the grocery put in the about-to-expire bin.)

Here's my grocery list so far:

canned tuna
canned chicken
almond butter (and a spoon)
hard cheddar (so it can stay out of the fridge all day and still be okay)
shelf-stable packs of pepperoni

Anything you can add to the list? (If not, that's okay. This is enough variety to keep me going for a few months -- or however long it takes for him to improve enough to come back home.)

Thanks!
SparrowRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #626
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome SparrowRose. Hope your husband is OK.

When I pack food for a car ride I take hardboiled eggs, cheese, bologna, and celery sticks. Your list sounds pretty good. Just wanted to give you a shout out and wish you well.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #627
Major LCF Poster!

Dawn I am so glad to hear Amy is doing so well with the pump.

I have celiac as well as diabetes and sure know what those stomach pains feel like. Maybe you could try gluten free for couple of months and see if it helps. The lab tests don't always pick up celiac - I had to have an endoscopy and the Dr still wasn't positive so I just went on gluten free and started to feel better. It is hard to do both vlc and gluten free but doable.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #628
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Maybe you could try gluten free for couple of months and see if it helps.
Just make sure you don't start gluten-free until after all the tests have been done because they often can't detect celiac unless you're eating gluten when they test you.

Quote:
It is hard to do both vlc and gluten free but doable.
What makes it hard to do both? I have had an easy time doing gluten free because lc is eggs, meat, veggies . . . largely nothing with gluten other than avoiding soy sauce. I can't even think (other than soy sauce or Atkins bars) what kinds of things have gluten and are carb-free or very low carb. It must be some o that pricey stuff that doesn't fit my budget. :-)
Old 12-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowRose View Post
Just make sure you don't start gluten-free until after all the tests have been done because they often can't detect celiac unless you're eating gluten when they test you.

What makes it hard to do both? I have had an easy time doing gluten free because lc is eggs, meat, veggies . . . largely nothing with gluten other than avoiding soy sauce. I can't even think (other than soy sauce or Atkins bars) what kinds of things have gluten and are carb-free or very low carb. It must be some o that pricey stuff that doesn't fit my budget. :-)
She was telling me it would be hard. My DD is only 10 and my DH doesn't even believe that my DD should be low carb, let alone gluten free. So I have to find a balance that makes everyone at home happy. Hard to do when there are 6 of us--one who believes in low carb and Dr B, 1 who is type 1 diabetic and everyone else who can "eat everything" like normal people. Yes, our DD loves meat and veggies, but she also likes cheese puffs and chocolate like her mom
Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #630
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
She was telling me it would be hard. My DD is only 10 and my DH doesn't even believe that my DD should be low carb, let alone gluten free. So I have to find a balance that makes everyone at home happy. Hard to do when there are 6 of us--one who believes in low carb and Dr B, 1 who is type 1 diabetic and everyone else who can "eat everything" like normal people. Yes, our DD loves meat and veggies, but she also likes cheese puffs and chocolate like her mom
ah, gotcha! Yes, that can make it hard! There are only two of us in my family and I had to "fight" to be allowed to eat differently from my husband. That was a HUGE battle.

Sparrow