Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #571
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Oh, there are lots of faux Mounds & Almond Joy recipes via google or by searching individual boards, from simple to complicated, but I just can't find the one I thought I remembered! lol (Which was simple, btw.)

I'm really just looking for a way to get more coconut oil in my diet (I don't need the chocolate, as I incorporate a bit of chocolate every nite before bed.) I use it to cook my cheese omelettes in the AM but that's about it. I don't use oil for much of anything else. I thought of making mayo with it but not sure if that would work since it gets solid in the fridge. My tummy doesn't seem to like me to just eat is straight like some people do.

Do the Quest bars taste good? They look pretty interesting. Might give them to my grandkids at Halloween instead of candy!
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 05:32 AM   #572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Being on the stingy side I tried the free samples of Quest Bars. I tried them in the micro for about 30 seconds. Pretty darn good I must say. As mentioned before the cost per bar is too expensive for me. In fact I'll eat half an Atkin's bar every now and then for a treat. Even the price of those bars are too much especially if you don't buy them on sale. Oh well...

Last night I made something I was reading about in a magazine. Man, was it good! 1 ripe Avocado, light cream,stevia,swiss miss diet coco,vanilla flavoring , coconut flakes and about a tbsp of coconut oil. I blend it to a creamy texture. Mr's Dogman was surprised to know after she tasted it that it had Avocado.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #573
Senior LCF Member

She really couldn't taste the avocado? Do you have amounts to use? I might try that. I've been trying to stay away from sweeteners as much as possible. Last night I melted my one square of 72% cacao chocolate and mixed in a tablespoon of shredded coconut. Ate it after it hardened back up again and it was a nice change. Not quite a Mounds taste but good just the same. Usually that's the only sweet thing (the chocolate) I have all day. Occasionally I'll have a couple of strawberries sliced into some homemade whipped cream or a half cup of Breyers CarbSmart ice cream. But now that cooler weather's here I'm getting the urge to bake, and I have to think about Thanksgiving and how to substitute for all those carbs! lol
Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Coconut oil in mayo

JuneCC I've been making my own mayo for about 3 or 4 months. Recently I started using 1/4 c of coconut oil and 3/4 of light olive oil. I had been using all light olive oil. Dottie had recommended about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of coconut oil because any more than that and you will have very hard solid mayo
Using 1/4 c worked out great for me.

Fawn posted a recipe for homemade mayo quite awhile ago and recommended 1T of whey per cup of oil and I have been doing that and it prolongs the shelf life of the mayo.

If you want the recipe, I'll post it.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #575
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
If you want the recipe, I'll post it.
Oh, yes, please! Sometimes I start reading recipes and 2 hours later, I realize I haven't done anything and still don't have a clue! lol I just bought some light olive oil, too. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #576
Major LCF Poster!

Fawn's Homemade Mayo Recipe

HOMEMADE MACADAMIA NUT OR OLIVE OIL MAYONAISE LCF

Ingredients:

For this recipe, use only farm fresh organic eggs, preferably from pastured chickens

1 Whole Organic Egg-room temp.
1 Whole Organic Egg Yolk-room temp.
1 Tsp Dijon Style Mustard
1 1/2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
1 Tbs. Whey
(optional but it does extend the life of the mayo)
1 Cup Extra Virgin *Olive Oil or macadamia nut oil or rice bran oil
1 Tsp. Sea Salt
(additional pinch if whey is not used)

Directions:

In a food processor or blender, (I use my vitamix) place egg, egg yolk, mustard, salt and lemon juice and optional *whey. Process until well blended on low for about 30 seconds. Using an attachment that allows you ta add liquids, very slowly add drop by drop the oil of your choice with the motor running. A very slow and steady pour is advisable as the mayonnaise thickens. If you have added the whey, allow to sit at room temperature for 7 hours then refrigerate. It will last for several months with whey and about 2 weeks without.

*Some do not care for the stronger taste of the olive oil so I recommend macadamia nut or rice bran oil. Don't forget about our rancid oils lesson under our Foods to Avoid section!

*Making whey is easy! Line a colander with paper towels or cheese cloth or a coffee filter, pour a full fat plain yogurt into the colander, place over a bowl, cover and refrigerate over night. You will end up with two fabulous products. Whey for all of your homemade mayo, dressings and fermented foods as well, a beautiful thick and creamy greek style yogurt.

This homemade mayonnaise will add valuable enzymes to your meal. Lipase for example, is an enzyme that assists in the digestion of fat. The addition of the whey will help your mayonnaise last longer and add beneficial nutrient content.

Nutrition: For the entire recipe 1.32 carbs & 1979 calories. Per tablespoon: .08 carbs and 123 calories.

The nutrition info I added (not Fawn). I substituted 1/4 c coconut oil for olive oil and it came out fine - not hard as a rock! I also use regular salt not sea salt. I usually add about 3 drops of liquid sucralose because I like a little sweetness. I don't have a food processor so I use my immersion blender and that works great. I have not tried rice bran oil or mac nut oil. I do use whey and have used the mayo for about 3 weeks when its usually all gone!

I'm starting to feel like a mad scientist in my kitchen
Old 09-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #577
Senior LCF Member

Wow, thanks, Mobear! One question...why use only farm fresh organic eggs? Is that for taste purposes or health risk of the raw eggs...do you know? I'm fresh out of lemon juice & yogurt so will have to make a trip to the store before I can make this. I'll wait to hear about the eggs before I go. Thanks again for posting this.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
A few months ago Dr. Bernstein mentioned a low carb muffin he liked does anyone here
rember the name of it?
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #579
Major LCF Poster!

Organic eggs & low carb muffin

June I believe Fawn is very much into whole and organic foods. She does diet and nutrition counseling and also works for Whole Foods. I do buy organic eggs occasionally and in the summer & fall I get farm fresh eggs from chickens that are pastured. Sometimes the farm eggs aren't available and the organic are too expensive and then I just buy fresh eggs from the store and use those. I believe Fawn's thinking is that organic, pastured eggs have more vitamins, nutrients and far less chemicals and are better for us.

E.W. I usually listen to Dr. Bernstein telecasts but missed August. The only thing I remember is him mentioning flaxmeal being ok if you could fit it into your carb allowance for the meal. I don't remember any special muffin being mentioned. Maybe Dogman caught the info.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #580
Senior LCF Member

Hi guys, I may have missed that August telecast. To be honest I'm very stingy so when it comes to buying prepared goodies I try making my own first. I'll buy things like almond flour or DaVinci syrups...

I'm thinking of making a movable chicken coop with PVC piping. Something simple, quick and of course inexpensive to make. More than likely it'll house 4 hens. I had chickens about ten years ago. Those eggs were so good. The yokes were deep orange in color.People I worked with at the time almost demanded to have my extra eggs.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed my weight started to increase.Then I passed my safety level. I got a little panicky. I've since then went back to keeping a food and fitness journal and what a difference it's made. Looking back I'd say I was experiencing "Carb Creep" . Little be little you consume a few more carbs without realizing it. OK here's the rub. I'm not saying it's a magical formula but I dropped my weight to within a pound of my goal. I actually write it down and log it into ******. Now, I'm back to being fully aware of what and how much I'm eating.
OK I'll get off my soapbox...

PS One thing I remember from Dr.B's last telecast was how protein has an effect on glucose.He mentioned that 36% of protein converts to glucose... So I guess too much of a good thing is not so good.

Last edited by dogman; 09-22-2011 at 07:15 AM..
Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #581
Senior LCF Member

My weight loss slowed down quite a bit and I know it's from eating too many carbs. When it was hot over the summer I'd have a SmartCarb ice cream cone (8g carbs) almost every night. Had been having a 5oz glass of wine a little too often, too (3.5g carbs). Plus my nightly little piece of chocolate (2g carbs). Other than those things I only eat veggies and an occasional strawberry or 3 now. I've pretty much given up grains completely. I don't eat an excess of protein, either.

It is good to keep track of everything. I used to write it all down in my daily log BS log, where I keep BS #'s BP #'s and daily weight #'s but since I stopped trying new foods and pretty much knew how everything was going to effect me, I stopped. Think I'll start again!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #582
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
I haven't been around lately!

Hey ya'll! I haven't been well. I had a small stroke and thought I was changed for life. It seems to have gotten better.

I stopped LC'ing for a while and maintained my BG anyway. HOWEVER . . . I got better faster I think because I cut the carbs again.

I do allow myself more carbs than Dr. B suggests. I stay aware of my BG. I'm not interested in losing more weight. I'm starting to look all wrinkled thanks to this loss I've already done.

I have another surgery coming in summer. I want to be in the best shape I can be for that. Hospitals don't serve food. At least mine doesn't.

I guess I'll check in sometimes but the system seems to have unsubscribed me.

I know that LCing works. I know that Dr. B's plan got me off of insulin.
That, I had been told was impossible. NOT!!!

hugz dew

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #583
Senior LCF Member

Dew , so nice to see you're back! While you were away I've managed to get almost as many post as you...

Just goes to show, how many Dr.s are quacks, especially when they say it's impossible to get off insulin. Great to hear that ! Give Toby a kiss on the nose for me...

JuneCC, sounds like you're livin the good life.

Today's Breakfast:
2 Hard Boiled Eggs
1/4 Avocado
2 Brazil Nuts
Yogurt w 6 Fresh Picked Raspberries
1 tsp Cod Liver Oil

If you use "******" to track your nutrition (if you're interested). Just 2 Brazil Nuts give you a load of selenium.Since men are inherently forgetful, this may help (NOT). Now I'll have to find a better excuse for not paying attention...
Also, the Cod Liver Oil is loaded with Vitamins A and D. OK, now I feel like Super Dog...

Last edited by dogman; 09-23-2011 at 05:14 AM..
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #584
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: May 2003
I'm tightening up carbs a bit too. Weight is OK but bgs have crept up a bit. I use ****** and my fat secret to record foods eaten. Really keeps me on track. Must be the fall air getting us all motivated! I've been sticking to my daily 3-5 mile walks as well. Like to think Dr B would be proud of me LOL.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #585
Senior LCF Member

New new GF

Good to hear from ya. This is my new best friend. Toby is doing well. This is Butercup, a 5 yr old Chihuahua that I rescued last month. She weighs almost 6 lbs. I think she is literally attached to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm-butter.jpg (34.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #586
Senior LCF Member

Well, I hit 160 on the scale this morning so watching those extra carbs makes a fast difference! lol

shunsweets, sticking to it is something to be proud of! Do you walk on a treadmill or outdoors? I need to get back to regular walking now, too. Still nursing my back with the heating pad but it is getting better everyday.

Making roast chicken today to eat on salad all week so I'm finally going to tackle the mayo recipe.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #587
Major LCF Poster!

I walk outside in a park at the end of my street 3-5 miles almost every morning before work. Starts my day off right.

Roast chicken sounds good. I'm getting in the mood for fall foods but it is still hot here!

Out to dinner tonight for son's birthday. Going to a steak restaurant so it will be a small steak and salad for me. I hate going out now - always wonder what is in the food and almost always have elevated bgs for a couple of days no matter how hard I try to eat well. Will be fun to be out with the whole family though!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #588
Senior LCF Member

Dew, Is that a mouse or a dog? With a name like Buttercup, she really sounds like a killer...
Don't know if anyone's aware of this but Dr'B is scheduled to be on tonight. Yep, I thought it sounded like a mistake because it always was on Wednesdays...
Now, all I need to do is set my phone alarm so I don't forget to listen...

I've rediscovered Pork Rinds with Vege Dip. Whew, when you open a fresh bag of pork rinds it stinks horrid but taste so good with dip.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #589
Senior LCF Member

Pork rinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Dew, Is that a mouse or a dog? With a name like Buttercup, she really sounds like a killer...
Don't know if anyone's aware of this but Dr'B is scheduled to be on tonight. Yep, I thought it sounded like a mistake because it always was on Wednesdays...
Now, all I need to do is set my phone alarm so I don't forget to listen...

I've rediscovered Pork Rinds with Vege Dip. Whew, when you open a fresh bag of pork rinds it stinks horrid but taste so good with dip.
Very ferocious and if she wasn't eating breakfast right now, she'd probably kill the computer screen!

Pork rinds don't stink! I ate them b4 I LC'd and remember my Momma and husband were both hillbillies. That makes me more than 1/2 hillbilly because he finished 'raising' me starting at age 17!

I munch pork rinds just as is! I was finishing an Ann Rule and munching in bed last night.

dew
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

Have you tried the fresh microwaved pork rinds. Much better. The only kind I can eat. I like them dipped in nut butter. I think the ones I have are called Jimmy's. I can only eat a handful at a time but they are good when the need for crunch hits.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #591
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I will be going with my Amy to a pump class tomorrow. We have to attend the class to see if we want Amy on the pump. I am not sure if I want her on it or not. I hear so many good things about it, but I am not convinced it is better than the system we have now. Just getting used to the shots and the dose and what is best for Amy's body and not looking forward to have that change yet again, and so soon!! Good thing we are just investigating at this point and not locked into anything. I will report back tomorrow (or Thurs) after we have attended the class.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #592
Senior LCF Member

Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I will be going with my Amy to a pump class tomorrow. We have to attend the class to see if we want Amy on the pump. I am not sure if I want her on it or not. I hear so many good things about it, but I am not convinced it is better than the system we have now. Just getting used to the shots and the dose and what is best for Amy's body and not looking forward to have that change yet again, and so soon!! Good thing we are just investigating at this point and not locked into anything. I will report back tomorrow (or Thurs) after we have attended the class.
dawn did you look for others comments that have had the pump, well especially children. That is a big step. It sounds like less chance of being insulin deficient. I'm type 2, don't know anyone with a pump.

I do have a friend who's 20 something daughter has already lost a foot. I don't think either Mom or Dad where much support. Your daughter is lucky to have you.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #593

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine View Post
dawn did you look for others comments that have had the pump, well especially children. That is a big step. It sounds like less chance of being insulin deficient. I'm type 2, don't know anyone with a pump.

I do have a friend who's 20 something daughter has already lost a foot. I don't think either Mom or Dad where much support. Your daughter is lucky to have you.
Oh, my. How sad We are trying to avoid that at all costs. We want Amy as healthy as possible. I cannot imagine being in such a position to be able to help my DD and just not. Wow!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #594
Senior LCF Member

Dawn, Just wondering what Dr.B thoughts are on using the pump. Have you checked on that issue ? I wonder if he's mentioned the pump in his previous books. His newest book will be out in November. I know that's a bit long to wait. Hope all goes well for you and DD.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Dawn, Just wondering what Dr.B thoughts are on using the pump. Have you checked on that issue ? I wonder if he's mentioned the pump in his previous books. His newest book will be out in November. I know that's a bit long to wait. Hope all goes well for you and DD.
No, I have not gotten his opinion of the pump yet. I have my reservations and am iffy on the issue myself. Would be neat to see his side of the story. I cannot wait to get the newest version of Bernsteins' book. I have seen the pros and cons and not sure if it really is as great as they say it is. But those that are on it, absolutely love it. So I am ready to hear the info. I am not sure if Amy can even get it just yet. She has even had diabetes for a year and I understand that some cannot get a pump til they have had diabetes for at least a year. The doctor is all for her getting on the pump because Amy has such good blood sugar control right now. Plus we have to figure in the insurance and what they will allow as well. I have heard that some will insist on getting on the pump if you are able. So I am thinking it will save them money if we do. I am certainly confused and conflicted. I will definitely keep y'all posted.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #596
Major LCF Poster!

Pump

Dawn I checked my Dr. B book from 1997. He does briefly mention the pump and has good/not so good things to say. The plus side he mentions not having to carry insulin/syringes with you at all times. Its easier to overcome the dawn phenomenon (early blood sugar rise causing high FBS) because you can program the pump to dispense some insulin in the early morning before rising. He thinks it mimics the normal body more because it dispenses insulin throughout the day plus larger amounts at meal times.

Some of the negatives were that the tubing can can crimped or come loose and the person may not be getting insulin and not realize it for awhile. The needle which is used is quite large (much more than a normal syringe needle would be). Some people have a hard time adjusting to this "thing" which is constantly attached to their body. Some insurance companies are reluctant to cover because of increased costs.

The comments are, of course, 14 years old now. I'm not sure if tubing, large needles are still used. Also, he indicates only Regular insulin is used and I'm not sure that is still true.

Hope you got some good information for your DD. She is lucky to have someone like you to advocate for her. I know you will make a good decision. If you decide not to do the pump right now, it might seem more appropriate when she is older.

Let us know how it went
Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 AM   #597

Well those have not changed in 14 years then. Those are still concerns today. I am sure that the needle has gotten smaller though because it looked tiny. But I have actually been around someone on the pump who wasn't getting insulin because of something going wrong. So we are aware of those types of things happening. My DD wants the pump because it means no shots multiple times a day, just once when inserting and then every 2-3 days after that. It means no Lantus/Levemir either. Just the Novolog all day and night. I have also seen, through DH's searches that there is an adjustment period with the pump, meaning her blood sugars are going to be yet again on a roller coaster ride while we adjust the dosage. We have found a pump that not only insurance will cover, but the company has a rebate so the cost to us----free!!!! The other companies want us to pay $1000---and that is after insurance has covered their portion at 80%. It will take a while to get it ordered and set up so we will know in more than a month if it works for Amy.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #598
Major LCF Poster!

Dawn it sounds like you are making progress! It would be nice not to have to purchase 2 types of insulin. I am on Lantus for longacting and have some concerns about it. Doctor doesn't want to switch me to Levemir. I have a problem with early morning rise in BS and the pump deals with that....don't know if that will help your DD.

She sounds like a very responsible young lady and I hope all this works out for her. Managing diabetes is a serious business, but when blood sugar is kept under control the complications are eliminated.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #599

Why would your doctor not switch you over? I don't understand that. We mentioned to her doctor that she was not liking the injections of the Lantus--it was burning on injection. They immediately said "let's do levemir". So maybe you can try that angle next time you are there. They told us it was the same thing, made by the same company even!!! They had no problems with Amy making the switch. Her blood sugars are lowest in the morning. We are having problems before dinner time. That is when they are highest for Amy. We hope to have that reading go down. Oh, and one more comment on her blood sugars. Her school nurse is thrilled and feels her job is done when Amy has blood sugars right at 120. That is to be Amy's upper limit where no correction is necessary. We are shooting for 100 or just a tad lower, she wants them higher. I have talked to her numerous times about this and we are just not on the same page. Like hitting my head against a brick wall.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #600
Major LCF Poster!

Lantus vs. Levemir

Dawn I don't think the 2 insulins are the same. I started wondering about this when on one of his telecasts Dr. B mentioned he doesn't prescribe Lantus. I started doing some research and it seems there are a few small studies on people that show an increase in cancer in those using Lantus. I'm concerned about this issue and am keeping an eye on studies, etc. My other big problem with Lantus is the burning sensation after the injections. Since I take 40u, I follow Dr. B's advice and split the dosage so I do 2 injections. Even after using this for about 5 years, it still burns .

What I've been able to discover is that Lantus has an acidic ph and Levemir has a neutral ph. Don't really know how important that is, but I wonder if that is part of the burning problem. Lantus is supposed to last 24 hours, but sometimes only covers about 18 hours. Levemir apparently has to be dosed 2 a day for many people. Lantus seems to cause a larger weight gain then Levemir and usually requires a higher dosage. I'm wondering if the high dose of Lantus that I take (40u) is part of the reason my weight loss has stalled.

Anyway, my doctor is taking the viewpoint that the endo I used to see prescribed Lantus then that is good enough for him. He doesn't see any difference between the 2 insulins- kind of like your doctor.

I had knee surgery in March 2011 and spent the night at the surgery center because of my diabetes. I was thrilled that my blood sugar was 75 before dinner. The nurses were panic stricken that my blood sugar was so LOW!

They insisted that I eat peanut butter, crackers, and orange juice. I managed not to eat much of any of it, but it still caused by b.s. to go up to 150 - which the nurses thought was just great. I think this is what you are running into with the school nurse. The medical professionals for the most part follow the ADA party line. I think Dr. B's ideas make a lot more sense for avoiding complications. Just do the best you can with the nurse. She probably won't budge on the 120.