Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Welcome Pattygirl . . . glad you're here with us. I was up at the hospital with chest pain last night (I'm way old.) I guessed my bg to be 250, my nurse said 196 well it was 159. That's weird because it usually skyrockets when I am stressed. They jabbed me full of holes made me take aspirin (I don't take aspirin as it gives me nosebleeds.) x-rayed me and sent me home. This of course took several hours. I am trying to get back on the wagon again. I feel that I am a sugarholic. Bernstein is the only plan that has ever worked for me. I think we are all alike but yet different. That's why different people have different results with different diets. Dr. Bernstein is very severe but diabetes is deadly. It's like a long slow painful suicide!It always does me good to go to the VA hospital and see the old vets with pieces of foot and leg sawed off. The VA doesn't really have a plan for us. They just choose to tell us to lose weight and give us surgery until it's too late to do anything for us. Of course I do get my supplies and machines foc. Okay, climbing down from my soapbox . . . dew

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I'm glad they didn't keep you in the hospital, DEW. So much better to be at home!
I hope the x-rays are good, too. I went to the ER with chest pain once....eeesh, they kept me for so many hours.....it ended up I had a pulled muscle....I had no idea.....gotta check out chest pain, that's for sure...

I'm a sugarholic too. Sugars and starches were always my favorite. They sure caused me trouble and I sure denied it. Bernstein was the first time I could ever maintain any weight loss.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pattygirl
Stats: 237.4/231.2/135
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: restart December 2013
Dew Thanks for the welcome. Glad you are home from the hospital.

I should get my book today. I'm trying to stay with the 30 grams. I have a difficult time getting 6 grams for breakfast so I usually end up with way less than 30 grams. I've been reading other low carb threads here and see that there are some who eat ZC so I guess getting between 20 and 30 is good.

I do have one question though. How long did it take you to get past the fatigue stage. I really could use some energy. I have blood work done this Friday and then see the doctor the following Friday. I hesitate telling him I'm so tired as he will probably say I need more carbs. He had a problem with me eating only 20 when I went to see him last month. The only reason he didn't say anything agains it was as he said "the numbers don't lie". My numbers had improved so dramatically that he couldn't tell me to eat more starchy foods which he doesn't know I'm not eating any way. Any suggestions for getting energy back will be much appreciated. I'm on Metformin 1000 mg once a day and take lots of vitamins.

girondet The things you wrote about Dr. Bernstein on this thread and the diabetic thread are the reason I decided to go with the Bernstein Plan. You are a great inspiration and testimony of how his plan works for diabetics.

I never was a sweet eater until I started having problems with BS. I was always a starchy foodaholic... couldn't eat enough chips etc. That is why WW never worked for me. You could have the goodies as long as you counted the pts and of course being one who leaned toward diabetes, I ate one then I had to have more and then couldn't stop. Low carb keeps me from craving that stuff.

Thanks for your help and for being here.

Patty

I will Eat to Live! I will NOT Live to Eat!
I WILL NOT ALLOW FOOD TO HAVE ANY
POWER OVER ME!!!
Pattygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

I munch on a little green or red pepper with my egg in the morning. Or I have a flaxseed muffin...For lunch I often have a bite of tomato (altho Dr. B. considers tomato and onion a no-no, I do have a little of these) in my salad. I sometimes don't have carbs with breakfast but use them later in the day as part of my snack. Well, everybody does different things that work for them.

I know what you mean about starches. I went way overboard on them, always. I won't mention all the foods I used to love and eat all the time, LOL, it's counterproductive! Better to talk about things I love to eat now, and there are a lot....I am not finding it that hard to skip over items I don't eat anymore on menus...don't waste time on them and it actually makes life easier....looking for the stuff that's good for me, ordering that, and then moving on to enjoy the whole experience. Before I used to feel anxiety about what to order, wanted too many things, and then felt guilt afterward, and all those feelings led me to binge....what a horrible life it was!

I have heard that metformin makes some people tired. I hope that's over for you soon.

I did feel light headed and some dizziness from time to time during the last year, but it went away, also low b/p but that went away too.

Keep us posted on your progress! Glad you are here too :-)
Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
hi everyone!

as much as I am trying to do 6-12-12 I find I am snacking on low carb tortillas and butter or cream cheese- How do you all handle munchy snacking? and do you watch your fat?
clairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Before I heard about Dr. Bernstein's Plan. I was pretty much doing the New Atkin's plan. I have used peppers and celery sometimes small amount of onion when I eat omlets for breakfast. I haven't been counting protein or fat but did keep up with the carbs and calories for a while just to see how many calories I was eating. And finally only keep up with the carbs and was trying to keep it around 30 to 40 carbs daily. Since I read your post girondet about the 6-12-12, I've been trying to keep it around 30 and usually it is a little lower. For example, today will be 28.5 grams.

Claire I eat 3 meals and a snack. Not Bernstein, but when I was checking BS before and after meals, I found I could eat a lowcarb Atkins protein bar. It has become my snack. Don't know if I will keep it now that I have Dr. Bernstein's book or not.

I got the book today and read his story and skimmed through some of the medical part and went straight to the Plan and will try to read about the weight loss before I go to bed. I have a meeting in the morning so may not get to read any more till I get home.

I am blessed with the fact that when my doctor found the diabetes that it was under 149 mg/dl. Last month it was down to 134 mg/dl. I am hoping for another good drop when I have blood drawn Friday. He wants it down to around 120. I want it down below 100.

Thanks again for you help.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

good luck with your numbers Pattygirl!

I am a type 1, and am hoping to get my A1c down from the 8's back where it belongs- at least 6.5 if I can!
The antibiotics I am on are not helping- Flagyl is raising me to the 230's despite my efforts to get them down with more insulin (Novolog) 2 more days and then I'll be back to me again I hope.

I will try to curb my snacking.
I was eating a vegan raw diet for along time- high volume- so eating more calorie dense food now I need to watch my intake!!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

clairie Just realized that I spelled your name wrong. I'm very sorry. Hope you are able to get past the antibiotics and that you are able to get your numbers down soon.

I had a SIL years ago who was pretty much a vegetarian and she was T1 diabetic. She did a lot of walking and did weights and was able to get her BS down to where she no longer had to take insulin and was on 1 pill a day. Although she said she vegetarian, I did see her eat meat at family dinners. I wanted to become vegetarian at one time but it didn't work for me. I would always end up breaking out in rashes so I had to give it up. I love salads and good healthy veggies so now that I do low carb, I enjoy eating veggies with the protein and I don't seem to have any problem.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #39
Junior LCF Member

No worries about the name- Clairie is my nickname

Are you sure your SIL is type 1? there is a honeymoon period that can last a long time- mine lasted 2 years which was incredibly long... but type 1's make no insulin at all. Or miniscule amounts. Pills can't keep us alive. Sorry for my assumption- but it is impossible to me unless she is in remission.

Tomorrow I am going to 6-12-12 for real. Actually do it. Not just ball park it. In the 12 years I have had diabetes I don't think I have made it past lunch counting the complete day and sticking to the 6-12-12! I can do this!!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:46 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Adjustment

Well Patty I know that when I start getting my first normal sugars I feel like I'm sick and tired. It's quite a big adjustment for your body. I always go cold turkey on things. I can't tell you how many times I have gone thru caffeine withdrawals.

As your body gets used to 'normal' you'll feel better I'm sure. Are you taking your sugars every day (hopefully several times a day for now)? You'll have a better idea just how your diet is affecting the way you feel.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Flagyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
good luck with your numbers Pattygirl!

I am a type 1, and am hoping to get my A1c down from the 8's back where it belongs- at least 6.5 if I can!
The antibiotics I am on are not helping- Flagyl is raising me to the 230's despite my efforts to get them down with more insulin (Novolog) 2 more days and then I'll be back to me again I hope.

I will try to curb my snacking.
I was eating a vegan raw diet for along time- high volume- so eating more calorie dense food now I need to watch my intake!!
I love Flagyl. I am on antibiotics prophylacticly for life for a urinary problem I have. I asked my doctor if I could take Flagyl the same way. Antibiotics make me very ill and that was what has started this horrific chain reaction I'm having now. I saw my PCP yesterday and she is changing my pains around again. (Long story!) I'm a T2 and I just gave blood (yet again) fasting to get my current A1C. It was good last time at 6.5. The VA calls 7.0 good.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Other Bernstein threads

I was just looking for subscriptions and came across a few Bernstein threads:

Suggested Reading for Diabetics on this board

My goal is to find support and resources for selfish reasons and who knows who will come along and find our WOE of benefit for them . . . all because we are here!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

6.5 is great! I hope it is in that range for you this time too. Thanks for the link- I'll check it out asap.
I did my meal plan for the day on Calorie King- to keep me on track for the 6-12-12.
If i stick to my plan- it will be a good day! I found a great ricotta that has 1 gram per 1/4 cup serving at my local grocery store. The whole container is 7 grams. I think it will come in handy when I need more protein and no carbs. I also ordered the liquid splenda so that will cut down on the carb count since I use a lot of packets in my coffee.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I do find that after a few days my carb cravings go away....and unfortunately, LOL, if I give in and eat a few too many or some of certain kinds, they come back and bother me again.....

I went to lunch with an old friend last week and I ate some things I usually stay away from. It wouldn't have been that bad except it triggered me to keep on doing a bit of that when I got home....mostly all low carb stuff at home, but too much of that. I had many more carbs than usual....the next day I found myself looking in the fridge and pantry a lot, when I wasn't hungry....it just makes it hard and not worth it to do that...plus, it can take me days to get my fasting bgs back down where I like to keep them.....
Old 09-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

clairie I was surprised when she said she was T1 as she became diabetic in her 30s, but I think they may have decided she was T1 because her daddy was diabetic. After my husband died and I married again, I neverdoes low carb, not as low as we do heard from her again. So they could have diagnosed her wrongly. I didn't know until recently that my Daddy said the doctors have always told him that he was borderline diabetic and when he goes in and the doc tells him his BS is a little high, he gets on low carb (not as low as we do) and then it goes back down. He is 87 and has only had to watch it the last few years.

dew Thanks for sharing with me how you felt while your body adjusted to normal BS levels. When the doctor gave me my glucose meter, I was only allowed to check BS once a day because of Medicare rules for my level. I was above 7.0 and doc wants it around 6.5. So I bought extra strips so I could check more often. My Daddy had told me that my step-sisters had checked his BS after everything ate and learned what he could and could not eat. This is how I learned that my favorite breakfast was shooting my BS way over 200. When I went to the doc last month I asked him to change my prescription to another brand of strips that were cheaper and he said that he could write for me to check 2x's a day and I can now purchase the others I need cheaper. It really helps to learn what foods I can and cannot eat. I told my doctor, some people may be able to eat some of those carbs, but my body will not tolerate them. Thanks for the website, I'll check it out.

girondet Not only did I learn what foods raised my BS and what didn't, but I've also learned that nothing is worth the way I feel after eating all those carbs or the days it took me to get my FBS back down to where it should be. That is when I decided that it just isn't worth eating off. I may be limited to what I can and cannot eat, but I'm learning to enjoy the foods that I do like that I can still eat and that my body tolerates. That is how I learned what Atkins bars (not all of them) do not raise my BS. And if I understand Dr. Bernstein's book correctly, I can keep them in my food plan because they fit within the 12g count.

I'm learning a lot from the book. I did not realize the 6-12-12 means that the snacks need to be within the 12g count as well. I suppose I will end up with a modified form of Bernstein plan since the stirfy I buy has a little bit of carrot pieces in it, but only has 4 g carb per serving and doesn't raise my BS. I would love to find one without it, but is hard to find. I think carrots must be a cheap veggie to add more to the package and less of the other veggies.Can't figure any other reason they put it in everything. However that my body tolerates it very well since I eat the stirfry with protein around 8ish in the evening, I get a lower BS ready before I go to bed and a low FBS reading the next morning. I stay up late with hubby. I've learned that if I eat anything else the bedtime BS readings and FBS reading is higher. So it works for me. I like being able to have 4 or 5 hrs between eating as well since I don't get cravings and don't need to eat any more often than that doing low carb.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

How Type 1 can happen at any age!

Hi Patty,

Type 1 is a specific kind of diabetes, very different in many ways from Type 2. The similarity is that our blood glucose level has a major role in our lives. From my layperson's understanding (and Dr. Bernstein's book) a AType 1 diabetic has no functioning beta cells in their pancreas. Type 2 diabetic probably has some very low functioning beta cells . . . at least at the start of our disease. These beta cells are what is responsible for making insulin. Most Type 2s are insulin resistant and should have started when they were told they were "pre"diabetic. It is very possible to diagnosis insulin resistant long before becoming "pre"diabetic. I don't know much about Type 1 except what managed to soak through while I was absorbing Type 2 stuff. So, that said, if a person was injured and it involved the pancreas, they would be Type 1. A Type 1 should probably spot me on this!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Type 1 vs Type 2 - read here : What’s the Difference? » Type 1 vs. Type 2 Diabetes about 10% of the diabetic population is type 1. I am a type 1. I was 25 when diagnosed- yes seems old for type 1, but it took the right kind of factors to set off my immune attack on myself and boom- hello diabetes. There is no way I could have prevented it. Another interesting factoid is that about a third of type 1's are actually like me and diagnosed in their 20's or 30's. Hence the name change from "juvenile" to type 1.
Bernstein is type 1. My endo is also type 1. My therapist was type 1. There are lots of us around, but unless you see us test or inject in public, you can't spot us.

I did well with 6-12-12. I overate on nuts, but considering my days prior, I did great.
Protein hit me 4 hours after eating, and blood sugars went up from 200 to 275. yuck. I need to remember that I need a little short acting even with such low carbs - protein does and will raise the #s!

How did you all do today? successes? slip ups?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

More about type 1 and type 2. When I was diagnosed a prediabetic in 2004 my doc and I both assumed type 2 of course. I was in my 50's and overweight. I lost weight and my hba1c did not get better. It still kept deteriorating, albeit slowly. I finally got down to the weight I am now....still didn't get any better...both my sisters are diabetic...one is a type 2, and with the markers of a type 2...metabolic syndrome, etc.....the other it has been decided was probably a type 1 all along, even though diagnosed as a type 2 in her twenties. She went to insulin very quickly. We all have hashimoto's hypothyroidism. I got it the latest, a number of years after the others, even tho' I'm the oldest. (autoimmune disease)

So anyway, I never had the metabolic markers for type 2...always had low cholesterol numbers, good or low b/p, etc....so I had myself tested for autoimmune antibodies to my pancreas--the GAD 65 test--and guess what? I tested high! I also had my insulin level tested and it was very low normal.

So when I showed the Dr. she said I am a latent autoimmune diabetic (a type 1 in the making). Some docs refuse to recognize that....but a lot of research shows that the autoimmune type can be gotten late in life...in the 80's even..and the older you are when you get it, the slower it develops.

The main reason it makes a difference is that it is progressive, and most likely insulin will be necessary in a few years. Oral meds won't work, with maybe the exception being metformin because some insulin resistance may be present too.

People who have autoimmune disorders already are more prone to getting more. The best advice I have gotten about slowing it down is to give up grains, as they cause inflammation in lots of people, and low carbing helps too, as the pancreas is much less taxed.

This type of diabetes is also called type 1.5, or LADA, and there are different subcategories...as in one that is a signaling problem, mostly, called MODY. The liver constantly dumps glucose inappropriately, which is hard to control...

I have had to learn more than I ever wanted to about diabetes, and the main conclusion I have come to is that it is not nearly as well understood as we might wish for! And there is a lot of variation between people with it, which is why treatments have to vary too.

Sorry if this is long and boring!!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

I love your new avatar DEW, you look like a very kind, pretty lady! I love to see people's pics....
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

wow- that's super interested Girondet! My onset to type 1 was very rapid. - but- I am also in a period where my glucose is erratic. I can go months being very sensitive to insulin and then times where I am very resistant. - There are so many battles being fought in our bodies, it is impossible to be perfect... but I aim for health every day.

bfast- 2 eggs and cheese, half caff and almond milk unsweetend
so far so good

adding a pic asap btw...
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Metformin

I abhor metformin! It makes me socially unacceptable in a big way. I was on insulin twice a day (Type 2) until I had a type of gastric bypass surgery(DS). I weighed 358 lbs because of an OTJ accident that left me immobile for years. I regained because I didn't use the tool I was given. It was right back to insulin for me. I recall reading in Dr. Bernstein's earlier book that he thought insulin was a safer route even for T2s because it would help preserve our beta-cells which he felt was our salvation if ever came a 'cure' for diabetes.

Thanks for the kind comment on my avatar girondet. I can't see it and can't find what I have on my control panel that keeps it from appearing. Sigh! I can't see any avatars.

I'll be around later today working on my newsletter. I have to have it out by Wednesday, next. I just started this am. I also have to go sign some paperwork on the island I just bought. It is raining and very Pacific NW'y here today. I love it. My webbed-toes come in handy this time of year. Oh and the web work I'm supposed to be doing.

I want to thank you guys for sharing about Type 1. I knew I was oversimplifying the specifics. I sure hope this comes up on searches of the site for diabetes and the specifics. I'll give it try here some day.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info everyone. I did pretty good yesterday, but realized I had some peanuts in the cabinet and they called my name and sorry to say I answered. FBS up to 113 this morning. Has been below 110 the past few days. I can eat them if I count them out during the day, but I know that I can't eat anything after my evening stirfry/protein meal that I eat between 8 to 9 pm. Plus I ate it too close to having that meal.

One of the other things I liked about Dr. Bernsteins plan is that we eat as little or as much protein as we need. Always on othe low carb plans, I felt like I was eating way too much protein. And I did notice that my BS went up not down. Y'all and the book are helping me a lot.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

I love your picture, Clairie, you look gorgeous! And young and healthy!

I'm so sorry you can't see the avatars, DEW because they look great, yours included!

I bless the bg meter because I would never have learned what I can safely eat without it, especially when I want to modify Dr. B's plan a little bit. Now that I do know what I can eat I don't have to test all the time like I was doing for over a year at my own expense. My Dr. never did prescribe a meter for me, as I'm still prediabetic in her eyes and my insurance doesn't allow it, I guess. Of course, that's because I eat low carb. I'm sure I would register at the diabetic level if I had kept on eating the way I was. I hope I can keep my bgs down forever.

I don't monitor my fat and protein because it seems unnecessary. I don't think I do go overboard on those very often. Like you, though, Pattygirl, I have been known to overdo on nuts, especially peanuts in the shell, or pistachios in the shell. I get compulsive about shelling and eating,

When I miss starches I eat flaxseed bread or muffins, and there was one lc bread I could eat one piece of that I found at Kroger. I enjoyed making a 1/2 grilled cheese sandwich with that for breakfast. I think I still have some at the back of the freezer. I can eat a tiny piece of fruit or 1/4c berries with lunch or dinner. I can eat 1/2 c. unflavored yogurt and I add sugar free preserves or sf marmalade to that. I too eat the low carb tortillas sometimes. Oh, yeah, and a little chocolate (60% and above, as high fat as I can find)

I would not be nearly as happy without some of the modifications! I make to Dr. B's plan....but I still try to stay at around 30g a day...I suspect more greens would be better than some of that stuff, but hey, I'm human!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

I found the button . . .

You guys, now I can see you. Wonderful to see your happy faces! I don't like my looks. I hate my broken (yes, broken) nose. I still have all my teeth . . . thanks to Dr. Carl (my cosmetic dentist). I had the advantage of having a tummy tuck in 2007 . . . that alone removed 12 lbs. I am thankful to be tall (5' 8"). I permed my hair and it helps it look fuller. I have had a problem with hair loss since becoming diabetic. Here's a funny . . . I was bragging to my sis (2 yrs younger) that I didn't have to shave my legs because I had epilated for years and they finally quit growing back. You know it, duh! She told me it's neuropathy . . . her husband doesn't have hair on his legs either. She seems immune to diabetes TG. She has always stayed thin. However, at the expense of her overall health; she was anorexic for many years and smoked like a chimney. I guess if we all knew we were going to make it to senior citizenship we'd have taken care of ourselves better.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Had a good day. Tomorrow will be tricky as DH and I have fasting bloodwork at the doctor's office and we are going to Walmart after grocery shopping and to pick up DH medications.

I am keeping my carbs mostly at 30 g but not more than 40 g. I did eat a little extra tonight since I have to go so long without eating however only slightly over 30 g. I will take one of my 6.5 g carb of Atkins protein bar to eat on the way to Walmart so I can take 2 of my meds. However, I can say that I am enjoying this way of eating and thankful for it.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Protein bars?

Oh Patty Girl,

You haven't gotten to the part where Dr. B explains that protein bars might have just as much carbs as a candy bar and quick acting ones at that. Here's a thought . . . while you are at Wally World look for a small insulated bag. I bought mine at a thrift shop (okay I'm a tightwad and proud !) and I bought it to take on trips when I would have to have injections. Anyhow!

Learn what is acceptable or marginally acceptable and put them in your bag. When they draw your blood turn to your bag. I am thinking DH isn't a diabetic tho' I know he wants what is best for you. I like to put celery sticks and peanut butter and I can just toss the baggie I put them in. I'm not so tight that I wash the baggies. Take your meter along or ask the vampire if they can give you a bg number. You'll feel better not just because you where compliant but because you planned ahead for the situation.

I know it's hard Baby Girl but you can just drool with your acceptable while DH guzzles his QuarterPounder with Fries and a Coke, super-sized! Maybe your improvement will spark a reform in him too. I never try to change my main squeeze and he doesn't try to change me. Climbing down from that danged soapbox.

Oh ya'll BTW, I have sunrise syndrome - frustrating. I never want to offend so left me know if I am overstepping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattygirl View Post
Had a good day. Tomorrow will be tricky as DH and I have fasting bloodwork at the doctor's office and we are going to Walmart after grocery shopping and to pick up DH medications.

I am keeping my carbs mostly at 30 g but not more than 40 g. I did eat a little extra tonight since I have to go so long without eating however only slightly over 30 g. I will take one of my 6.5 g carb of Atkins protein bar to eat on the way to Walmart so I can take 2 of my meds. However, I can say that I am enjoying this way of eating and thankful for it.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Morning! Dewdrop, I don't think you are overstepping in the warning about the bar thing at all!I ate Atkins bars fora while years ago thinking it was fine but NOOOOO the sugar alcohols need to be counted as a sugar. the whole "net carbs" unless it is fiber, are just a marketing ploy that works well for them. Sugar alcohols (mallitol, and such) raise me a lot! Might as well be eating something like a brownie! tastes better and does the same thing! raises your numbers!! Mine would go up hours later- delayed- but still! I can't stand it at See's where they have all the sugar free chocolate- I think so many diabetics are eating it with reckless abandon-
I know bars are convenient, but packing a few nuts or a cheese stick will be SO much better on your bod.

I hope you all have a great day today,
I am thinking of making this cheese pizza where the crust is made from eggs and cheese - no flour.
yum!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Clairie, it's a good one....I have made it...

Good grief, I do believe there is a good substitute for everything/anything!! LOL!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Cheese Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
I am thinking of making this cheese pizza where the crust is made from eggs and cheese - no flour.
yum!
Oh Claire! Pls tell me how the pizza turns out and give me the recipe if possible. I have an AARP meeting the first weekend in October and it's a Pizza Party. I could take one and there are so many diabetics, they might like it. I think they'd all choose regular pizza but ya never know!

I am being put on Fentanyl patches. I pick them up today. I'm nervous about it but I have been working thru the pain when I can and I feel so much better overall . . . it's the chronic back pain that is killer. I am hoping it will make me invincible. I know . . . too good to be true. Thru the years I have moved up thru the narcotics. This one sounds ominous.

I'm off to the help the homeless. That is so good for my soul. Starbucks locally gives them the 'day-old' pastries and such. So hard to pass by. I'll be checking in with ya'll this evening.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Dew Thanks for the advice. I didn't see it until tonight, but it worked out to where DH didn't feel like going out to eat. So I didn't have to use the bar. He did want to go get Zaxby's chicken fingers on the way home, but we didn't because I told him that I wasn't eating the flour on the chicken. Actually he has been diagnosed diabetic, but we are on a completely different diet. He eats pretty much what he want and of course I eat low carb. Oh and I love peanut butter. I might could have pb and celery for breakfast sometime when I'm not all that hungry.

When I bought Dr. Bernstein's book, I also purchased a book by Gretchen Becker about the first year of being diabetic. She recommended reading about diabetes on the David Mendosa site. So I went and found an article on his blog on how to control the dawn phenonema (sp ). Any way he says you can lower the FBS by taking apple cider vinegar before going to bed and if you can't take the vinegar they have vinegar pills. I used to drink apple cider vinegar every morning with honey in warm water, I don't know why I couldn't take it with my liquid stevia. I will definitely be giving it a try. Also says you can do the same thing if you drink red with supper. But I don't want to do that since I don't like it.

Clairie I've heard of using egg and cheese for pizza crust but never tried it. If you like it and it turns out okay, I too would love to have the recipe.

girondet Hello