Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Well shunsweets, the cauliflower pizza got two paws down. I won't make that one again. Not even a dirty dog would like it. So your pizza version is only eggs and cheese for the crust? Hummm, might be worth a try...

dawnyama, sorry hear about your step-dad.
Happy 17th year Anniversary , hey Mrs. Dogman and I have been doing the dog and pony show for 36 years...
I must say it bothers me a little when people say they "worry". What that really says to me is they have a lack of trust in God. So, why bother worrying, it doesn't make a bit of difference. OK, now I'll get off my soap box...and go lay down in the cool dirt . It's too hot to be chasing cars today ...

Last edited by dogman; 07-21-2011 at 11:13 AM..
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #512
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Where'd everyone go? I took a bath 2 weeks ago...

In case someone may be wondering

Tonight's menu will be Pizza made with cauliflower for the crust. Has anyone tried it?
Cover me, I'm go'in in...will report back...
Sorry you didn't like it. We liked it when I made it. I made it for the first time when my teen was just in middle school about 3 years back. Not something I make on any regular basis, but it was good. I guess it is YMMV on these things. You do have to think outside the box when making these things as they are not quite up to par with the real thing. But tasty just the same. I really liked the breadsticks made with the cauliflower.

And worry is all I ever do around here. I feel like I am pushed to the side when things happen and not ever involved so I worry. I just feel so out of the loop since we are so far apart from any of my family. We just live so far apart. Worry is my nature. I know things will work out as they are supposed to--good or bad--but I cannot help but worry about them as it happens. Just my way of dealing with things. DD's blood sugar has been way wacky since being here. But we are in the sun a whole lot more and she is sunburned. It brings those numbers up a whole lot. I worry about her too. Cannot say I don't........
Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #513
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I'm a worrier too Dawn. Wish I could be like Dogman and relax but I'm always concerned there is something more I could be doing to help improve things. A part of my nature but one I would gladly part with as its brought me nothing but anxiety! My bgs are up with the high heat too. Must stress the body. Hope your daughter gets back to her target range.

Dogman my guy and I have been together 39 years! Guess we'll have to really celebrate next year but every day is a pleasure together. The egg/cheese crust pizza is on the recipe thread somewhere - maybe even a sticky. It is good and easy. Just grated cheese (I use a bag of "pizza mix" cheese mozzarella and cheddar I think) an egg, and I add a couple of Tbs of tomato sauce to the mix. Spread it out on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet as thin as you can and bake for about 20 minutes. Then add whatever toppings you like (we like pepperoni) and bake a few more minutes. Heck I'm probably messing this up. Hope you find the real recipe. I'm not a cook at all but I can make this! If I wasn't such a dunce at the computer I would send you one of those handy links right to the recipe but I can never find stuff myself and don't know how to link!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #514
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Oh worry!

dogman if I didn't worry; I'd have nothing to do. LOL!
I have just gone back on a mega narcotic. I may end up
sitting and slobbering but at this point I can't deal with
the constant pain. (Fentanyl and I can go up in dose quite aways.)

I have just been connecting to the Jackson side of the family
on FB. I have so many nieces and nephews and greats. It's a
big thrill to see them all grown up and their families.

I've added a few on my side as well. Wow! FB is a great tool
for keeping up and catching up. Such thrills, such chills.

I am just eating quick standards . . . lots of boiled eggs,
packaged meat and steamed veggies. If I can get over
the effect of the narcs I might trust myself to 'cook'.

Another note on worry: What's the worst thing
that can happen? I'll die? Well the good Lord has
his plan for me and it's his deal.

I'm putting all my chips in. Hugz ya'll!

Chasing cars is not safe Mr dogman.
You'd better get the Dog Whisperer on your
case right away. We could not do w/o you.

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #515
Senior LCF Member

You guys are soooooooo funny!
I'd be a liar if I said that I never worry I'm not all that stoic but I'm aware of if of it when it's too much . Then it's time for a little internal dialog.From what I've experienced, worrying makes"things" worse. On the other hand,I don't expect a big hand from the sky to fix things up but by trying to make good choices, things have worked out for the better.
As dumb as this may sound, I think having had very high triglycerides over a year ago was a "good" thing. Because of that I became a Bernsteinian then Mrs Dogman lost a doberman's worth of weight and one of my male pups lost over 30 pounds guess that's about the weight of a large Jack Russell Terrier. Other people have been impressed and are wanting to try LCing.
Holy dogs! shunsweets married 39 years? Whew, it think that's 273 dog years!
Dew, the Dog Whisperer, Ceasar Milan was in Boston about a year ago Mrs Dogman and I went to see him, he's great.
Give Toby a juicy kiss on his watery nose for me !

Last edited by dogman; 07-22-2011 at 05:43 AM..
Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #516
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman how many dogs do you have now?

I have a great standard poodle but she has Addison's disease (darn irresponsible dog breeder!). She does OK as long as she gets her 7 pills a day, special diet, and salt supplement. Ha sounds a lot like me! She's 7 so that's 49 in dog years so I've got 10 years on her.

What married 273 years!! Time flies when you are having fun!

I'm making chicken salad for dinner. Refuse to have something hot tonight. It's 114 here today with the "heat index" - whatever that is. All I know is that it is hot!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #517
Senior LCF Member

shunsweets, I had to say goodbye to my little friend last November. He was a Parson Russell Terrier and without doubt smarter than a fifth grader and such a good friend to us and always so much fun, we loved him, he brought us happiness. He'd always welcome us when we would come home. Presently, I'm dogless but I'm looking for another one. I have a nagging thought that the next one won't be as good as the one we had. It's so nice to take walks with them. Another nagging other thought is when you bring home a new little friend, the day will come when you have to say goodbye.

I hope for the best for your companion...

Wow 114 degrees!Whew!
BTW a few days ago I had a couple of avocados that where a little beyond ripe. So rather than fling them out I made a chocolate pudding with them. I vaguely remember reading something about how to make it. Mrs Dogman was puzzled by the taste and demanded the ingredients so I told her, avocados , coco powder, sweetener, vanilla extract and a little light cream. She did a double take.She wasn't sold on it but I thought it was worth making again especially when I had a couple of avocados that "got away" from me.

Today looks like a beach day at Narragansett RI and it's a dog friendly one. Always good to get some puppy love from friendly dogs.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #518
Major LCF Poster!

Never tried avocado pudding!!

Try to open your heart to a new puppy friend. It is hard when we lose them but they add such depth and joy to our lives. Each is so different so one can't really be better than another.

Work day for me. Enjoy the beach and stay cool.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #519
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Hi all. I don't get back here much, will try harder, tho. It's nice to chat with people who understand! Even my dh sometimes seems to forget I'm not just low-carbing for weight loss but because I *can't* eat the other stuff. (Although, I do have to say, he suffered a head/brain injury 24 years ago & the main lingering problem is short term memory loss, so it's not really his fault! lol)

Anyway, I was stalled on weight loss, at 170, for just about 2 months. Up till then I had been steadily losing 5 lbs a month (down from 10/mo in the beginning). I cut my protein a tiny bit at breakfast but also added a bit more fat instead. Now I'm back to losing and I'm at 165 this morning. Also, when I was stalled, my morning fbs was up a bit, in the 90s instead of mid-80s, but that's back to normal now, too. I just wanted to mention these things in case anyone else has stalled.

I never even tasted an avocado until after being diagnosed but I don't like them. I did read a smoothie recipe just yesterday that uses 2 T and it's supposed to add smoothness & richness, much like bananas are used for, but without adding any avocado flavor so I might try that.

The way I've been adding additional fat is by drinking an ounce or two of heavy cream mixed with about equal amount of flavored seltzer water. Sort of reminds me of a vanilla egg cream. Anyone remember them?

I have my daughter and her two dogs living with me now. She's attending dental assistant school, working full time, and getting out of debt, so they'll be here for a while. Rusty's a pure breed Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Kody's a rescued Australian cattle dog mixed with something else we don't know. They're both beautiful dogs.

My daughter is also adopting the low carb lifestyle that the rest of us are on (dh & 2 sons who still live at home). She is not overweight at all and wants to keep it that way. She was a skeptic at first but now tells everyone about my success (lost 56 pounds since last Nov) and is surprised at how little food fills her up and how long it takes her to get hungry again.

Well, that's my story for now. I hope it's not too long before my next visit back here! lol

Last edited by JuneCC; 07-27-2011 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: speling & typos (<-----hahaha)
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #520
Senior LCF Member

JuneCC, your DH is not alone, most men including myself have CRS Can't Remember "Stuff" but I sure can remember when it's time to eat...LOL
Your weight and mine are so similar. I'm 5'9" and would like to get down to 164. I'm more concerned about the body fat percent though. Thanks for the idea of making a smoothie with the avocado.The vanilla egg cream sounds good too.
Gotta love those dogs! Hey if anyone whats to laugh like a fool (at least I did) watch the YouTube video of the "Ultimate Dog Tease". I've watched it a least a hundred times and I still laugh, it's just perfect. Soooooooo funny especially if you love your pooch.
Wow, JuneCC 56 pounds? Great job ! Mrs Dogman has lost over 60 and is slow but sure makeing progress. I'm really proud of her. Whenever we get to 5 guys for a hamburger (w/o the bun) I tell her to go over and pick up a 50 lb bag of potatoes. That's too heavy to pick up she says, what a reality check that is !
Must say that she's bought about 3 sets of new clothes because the other ones were too big. This LC thing is sure costing me money LOL

Last edited by dogman; 07-28-2011 at 05:24 AM..
Old 07-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #521
Senior LCF Member

Nice visual with the potatoes, dogman! Ugh! lol

I'm 5'3" so my weight doesn't look as good on me.

60 lbs is terrific, tell the Mrs. I said congrats. Does she have any tips for what to do with the excess skin? It's starting to become a bit of a problem now.

I ordered a weight lifting DVD for beginners, can't wait till it gets here. I walk on a treadmill everyday but really need to build up some muscle. I have pinched nerves in my neck & back so have to take it slow in the beginning.

I've only bought new jeans once so far but I'm on the verge of another size now. Was trying to get through the summer w/o buying new shorts but may not make it now that I'm losing again. Fortunately for me I live near a really good second-hand store so intend to go look there tomorrow. They put everything on sale even cheaper at the end of the month.

Last edited by JuneCC; 07-28-2011 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Added a pic of grand-dogs to my profile but it's not showing yet.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #522
Senior LCF Member

Hi JuneCC,
Mrs Dogman does have the problem with excess skin especially at the back at the arms where it's noticeable.She wears blouses that cover up that problem. Under the chin is also noticeable and could use a little chin reduction LOL. She's done well with bathing suits I must say. She got a few called, I think Tankini. Realistically, I don't think the the excess skin will ever get back to where it was. Women seem to be able "camouflage" problem areas and accentuate other areas (almost sorry for that remark). But hey, we're old dogs...
For exercise, I been using body-weight exercise and I'll tell you that beats going to the gym by a mile.
The best book I've found is called "You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Body-weight Exercises" by Mark Lauren. It goes from super easy exercises to super hard . Incidentally, aerobic exercises is not encouraged . And yes women can do the exercise in the book. Mark Lauren's web site is worth checking out. More than likely your public library may have it.
Wow,today I made a smoothie with avocado, light cream and "Jay Robb strawberry whey ( it's dog-gone expensive so I don't use it much but on special occasions). So much like a milk shake, nice and creamy I needed a spoon on the bottom of the glass. I'll be making that one again for sure !
Looks like the beach this weekend, have a good one...

Last edited by dogman; 07-29-2011 at 05:50 AM..
Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #523

June, I am on the short side too!! I am 5'3.75" on a good day!!! My boys tower over me. I like the resistance bands for my weight work. They are easy and quite compact when you consider storage space.
dogman--I only buy the Jay Robb when I find it on cleawrance. And it was on clearance once at my Kroger store. Even at half price it was still pricy!!! But it was deelish!! I bought the strawberry egg white protein. I would have like the strawberry whey, but it was not on sale. My son used most of it because his coach told him he needed protein after working out. Never mind that I suggested the same thing, but as soon as the coach said it...he did it! Us parents just don't know anything, ya know??!!

Hope y'all have a great Monday!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #524
Senior LCF Member

Hi Dawn. All my kids are taller than me now, even my girls. I'm happy for them. My mom was 5'3" and I was happy to be taller than her! lol

You look great in your Avatar, is that at 125? I'll be happy to get there. I thought about resistance bands but my son talked me into weights. I just ordered a Callanetics dvd, too. I figure I can do one each day, plus my usual walking. Now I just have to find something to use as an exercise mat....maybe I'll raid the attic and look for an old playpen pad!

I did find some bike shorts at the thrift store and this morning when I came out of my room wearng them, my son said, "You know, Mom, I gotta say, you sure are looking pretty skinny lately!" Made my whole day!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #525

How fantastic June!! Unsolicited comments from your own kids--wow that is super awesome!!! That is me in my avatar at about 118, maybe 120 actually. I reached my goal of 115 last summer and since then I have had such a terrible time dealing with things (Oct we had a very close family member unexpectedly die, DD was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in March of this year and my step dad died last week, among other bits and pieces) that I have ballooned up a bit. I refuse to update my stats until I get back there. I am too ashamed to say how much I really gained. I am on track now to going back down, but it is hard. I must say it is much easier for me to gain than lose LOL. I have weights too. But I do find the bands much easier to use and store.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #526
Senior LCF Member

I'm sorry to hear of all your troubles, Dawn. You've been getting it from all sides. Don't be ashamed about gaining back, life is tough and we're only human!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:46 AM   #527

Thanks June. It sure has been a trying year, and will definitely be harder once 9/11 hits. My brother was killed in the WTC and with this year marking the 10th anniversary, it will be all over the news. Therefore, I will be all over the local news. That is why I am pushing for this weight to come off. They interviewed me after bin Laden was killed and I was not happy with how I looked. So I am trying my best to get some off before then!! Right now I just wish the year would end tomorrow so we can be done with it.

I am happy to report that DD's blood sugar numbers are beginning to look more normal. After being high in the mountains for our week long vacation, then were not the best while we went to FL, they are now getting lower. Thank goodness!!! We are so happy about that. I think she benefits from being home and amongst comfortable surroundings.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #528
Major LCF Poster!

So glad to hear DD's bgs are stabilizing. Mine always go up on vacations too but hey we have to live! She's lucky to have a mom who understands the benefits of low carbing. It will help her stay healthy through those rough teen years ahead.

I think you are beautiful in your avi Dawn. Good for you!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #529
Senior LCF Member

Dawn, I'm sorry about your brother, and what you have to go through because of it. I can't imagine what that's like. I lost my younger brother 5 years ago, unexpectedly but very privately, and that's hard enough. I don't think I'd be able to talk to anyone about him publicly.

I second what shunsweets said...your dd is lucky to have a mom like you. My cousin's dd isn't so lucky. Seems all my cousin can think or talk about is working out with her personal trainer and going out drinking with her pals. I'm hoping that's just her 'public' display and she's not really like that but I don't know. (I don't know this cousin IRL.) After I was dx'd I messaged her about Dr. Bernstein to see if she knew about his book & WOE, cuz she's always posting about her daughter's bad days or bad nights, etc., but she didn't respond. I don't think she knows about low-carbing, though, or she'd not be having the trouble with her own weight that she posts about. Wish I could afford to send her a copy of his book anonymously!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #530

shun--I have heard about those teen years. I am hoping that she won't rebel but will "stay the course". If today is any indication, she will follow what me and her daddy say to the letter LOL. She barely leaves our side as she is scared to death of the "outside world". But once those hormones kick in, I am not so sure.

Now, DH and I were wondering this since we saw this while in TN. What do people who live in altitude do? Do you have to adjust your readings, your meter, your insulin? That is what we have been trying to figure out since leaving TN a couple of weeks ago--what do you do if you live in the mountains? Boy, I hope someone here does live in the mountains so I can find out the answer LOL.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #531

Amy had her endo appointment yesterday and it went well!!! Despite the week of really high blood sugars, her A1c went from 8.4 from the last time to..........6.5!!! What an improvement. The doc said she could not get any better numbers than that!!! Her average for that time was 111. I think that is great. Amy is not 100% low carb, still eats mac and cheese--but only on occasion now as before she ate it all the time, has some treats like regular cookies too. So we could not ask for more--right now. She is having some skin issues though. We asked the endo about her discoloration she seems to be having and she said it was likely the autoimmune disease "vitiligo". So we have to see the dermatologist for that. I really hope it isn't that, but it seems to match what is going on. I hate to have her go through that at such a young age as she is so self conscious as it is. We haven't even hit the teens yet!! Oy.

Oh, and we got the OK to split the dose of her Levemir into 2, instead of the 1 nightly dose. I hope that gives her great nighttime numbers since we believe that is what is giving her the great breakfast numbers. And we discussed her going on the pump. So we are set up for a pump class to learn all we can about that.

Wow, what a great appointment we had yesterday!! The doc said we are doing everything right!!! Nice to be on the right path. Have a wonderful week everyone!!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #532
Senior LCF Member

dawnyama,

Nice to hear Amy's doing so well and getting better all the time.
Mrs. Dogman has been on a plateau for what seams to be a month,I on the other-hand have put on 5 pounds from my all time low. What's up with that? I thought it could be carb creep. I keep a food log for the day to see if I'm eating off plan but it doesn't appear to be carbs. I'd like to think it's muscle weight (Yeah Right ...) More likely a problem with elimination .
Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #533
Major LCF Poster!

Great progress for your DD Dawn! So glad she is doing well.

Dogman - my weight is stable on this plan. I don't lose but do bounce around 5 pounds - sometimes up sometimes down but always within range for over a year. I always figure it's "fluid" differences. Sounds nicer than elimination!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #534
Senior LCF Member

shunsweets,

That was the dog in me talking in my last comment.Women can have their fluids but I want no part of that stuff...thank you.

Last night I had liverwurst from the deli because it's supposed to be loaded with vitamin "A" and B12 etc . Never had it before and I'll tell you I thought I was eating dog food from a can. Good thing for the G.G. cracker
It's been almost a year and a half since going LC and I'm still learning the ropes. One problem is FG , I'm trying to figure out if having a little "cereal" (about 24 almonds crushed 1Tbsp flaxmeal and a little light cream) before bedtime is tipping me over FG comfort point (90) . I try walking after dinner sometimes that seams to make a difference. I tried taking a Tbsp of fish oil or coconut oil before bedtime and sometimes that seams to make a difference. I tried taking magnesium, next will be eye of newt.
I'd guess I can talk myself into trying anything to see what happens.

Has anyone tried making Kale Chips? People say they taste like potato chips or pop corn. I've got kale growing in my square foot garden so looks like I'll give it a try

Today's Lunch:
4 Slices Smoked Turkey
1 Hard Boiled Egg
1 Cheese Stick
Almonds
cup of Coleslaw
Jello

I'm trying out a A1C Relion Test available from Wally's Mart. Have anyone of You tried it? I should be getting the results in a few days. I'd like to know how I've been doing for the last several months.

Last edited by dogman; 08-10-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #535
Senior LCF Member

Had a doc appt yesterday with a new doc at the local health clinic. He said I had the diabetes so well controlled he wasn't even going to send me to the diabetes clinic. Had my BP so well controlled he wasn't sending me to that clinic, either. He was amazed that I lost 56 lbs and said he likes that I'm so proactive about it all. lol He ordered fasting blood work and I'm going in the am for that. Can't wait to get the results but he won't be so happy with my cholesterol numbers. He'll have to live with it, tho, as I won't be going on statins! lol High cholesterol runs in my family but no one ever had trouble with heart disease from it. I did ask him to do more thorough thyroid tests instead of just the TSH but he said he has to do that one first. I'm going to bring a list of my symptoms next time to show that I still need the other tests done, and high cholesterol will be added to that list.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #536

Dogman-Amy gets her tested at each office visit, so I see no need for us to get one. But my DH is interested to see how those compare to the office tests. He is so tempted to buy one for Amy. Let us know the results!!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #537
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PlainlyJane
Stats: 219/201/140
Start Date: 3/8/11
Hi guys, long time no see! I have been cooking from Dana Carpenter's low carb cookbook, and have not had a bad recipe yet. Yum. Dogman, her "Meatza"...awesome!!! My new favorite snack, Diamond Almonds, Habanero BBQ.....just be careful, they are addictive!! I know I ate way more than I was suppossed to, but they reminded me of BBQ potato chips. heaven.
PlainlyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:35 AM   #538
Senior LCF Member

PlainlyJane,
I have a couple of Dana's cookbooks. For me, I've had mixed results with more than a few recipes.I like Maria Emmerich's and George Stella's cook books. Emmerich's books are still too expensive to buy, so I borrow from the local Library. Meatza hum sound interesting...I'd like to know more.
Almonds? I probably eat the most almond of anyone in the North East . I have to pace myself and use portion control especially with those BBQ. I need to use those little kiddy cups for my serving. During the hot weather I indulge in a low carb beer, 2.6 carbs.

JuneCC Your doc should see you as his doc.

Today's Breakfast:
"My Cereal" ( 1 GG cracker,12 almonds,1 Tbsp Flax meal,light cream,about 10 blueberries and almond flavoring) microwave for 55 seconds. I grind up the dry ingredients using Cuisinart hand blender food processor attachment.
coffee w cream
For break will be cheese stick and maybe a hard boiled egg.
I'm pretty content...
Made some kale chips for dinner last night. I like em , crunchy and unusual and interesting taste and easy to make. I have some for my lunch today. Experts (myself included )say kale's taste improves after it's exposed to Fall's frost.

Last edited by dogman; 08-11-2011 at 05:41 AM..
Old 08-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneCC View Post
Had a doc appt yesterday with a new doc at the local health clinic. He said I had the diabetes so well controlled he wasn't even going to send me to the diabetes clinic. Had my BP so well controlled he wasn't sending me to that clinic, either. He was amazed that I lost 56 lbs and said he likes that I'm so proactive about it all. lol He ordered fasting blood work and I'm going in the am for that. Can't wait to get the results but he won't be so happy with my cholesterol numbers. He'll have to live with it, tho, as I won't be going on statins! lol High cholesterol runs in my family but no one ever had trouble with heart disease from it. I did ask him to do more thorough thyroid tests instead of just the TSH but he said he has to do that one first. I'm going to bring a list of my symptoms next time to show that I still need the other tests done, and high cholesterol will be added to that list.
I have to agree with dog---you should teach him a few things I want my mom off her statins too. At her last appointment she was told that even with the meds her cholesterol was too high and when I asked for the numbers she didn't know But she did ask the doc what to do since was already on meds. He told her to quit eating eggs and cheese I totally believe that if her thyroid was treated correctly then her cholesterol would fall in line with the guidelines and where they should be. But she won't listen to me. You have done the right research while my mom blindly follows the doc because they are the doc Kudos to you!!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #540
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Dawn & dogman. I'm going to re-read Dr. B's book to freshen up on the thyroid stuff before talking to the doc again.

Dawn, my mom was put on statins and her cholesterol was always still too high, and she didn't eat real eggs or real cheese or much fat. My poor mom, she did everything "right" for her heart (even taking supplements and this was a woman who *hated" even taking an aspirin!!) and then she goes and dies of emphysema (even after quitting smoking). But there was nothing else wrong with her so the high cholesterol wasn't a problem. She went off the statins after getting arthritis-like pain in her elbows and all her doc could do was give her cortisone shots in the elbow joints. The pain was gone within 3 days of stopping the statins (at my suggestion). Here's a well-researched essay on statins that might help you with your mom. How Statins Really Work Explains Why They Don't Really Work.

I don't think my mom ever had her thyroid checked. We didn't know there was a connection to high cholesterol then.

I was a little nervous about fasting this morning. I usually test in the mid 80s first thing in the morning and have to eat right away to stop my numbers from going higher. This morning I tested at 87 but I was 4th in line at the clinic and got home within an hour and was only up to 90 by then.