Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Dogman and AuntieEm. Enjoying seeing your menus. I've been having some reflux and heartburn and am going to try lowering my fat a bit (nothing drastic maybe 50% instead of 75%). So no more adding extra butter or coconut oil but I will continue to use them in cooking. Have to try something can't stand waking up with a mouthful of bile and a burning chest plus I had an esophogeal ulcer 2 years ago and don't want to go back there again!

Today's food
Bkfst- one minute muffin = egg, water, almond flour, glucomann, flavoring. + coffee w almond milk and splenda/stevia mix
Lunch- Fage yogurt and water
Supper - chicken drumsticks, water
Made a batch of gluc muffins for snacks - good with a bit of cream cheese and SF jelly.

Not sure how to raise my calories while cutting fat and keeping carbs and protein low. I exercise daily and don't want to lose any weight. Guess I'll increase the protein as my bgs are higher then I want them already so I know I can't add any carbs. Sigh - I thought I had this all figured out.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #482
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
shunsweets, that is exactly what worked for me.

I will do pretty most anything to relieve that acid. It is probably the thing that has caused me the most misery.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #483
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Fine than, I'll blink first since there hasn't been a post in several days.

I've been checking out Jimmy Moore's Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show and listening to past Podcasts. Very interesting, there's even some interviews with Dr.B. Worth checking out

Today's Breakfast:
1/2 Avacado
Turkey slices
2 cups of Homemade "Jello" made with Almond milk, light cream and pumpkin flavored DaVinci syrup
8 Macadamia nuts
Coffee with cream

Last edited by dogman; 06-16-2011 at 07:21 AM..
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #484
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, all.

Today's food:
Today's version of Tibetan tea: tea w/ beef fat, bit of hwc, and Celtic sea salt
B: Beef bacon and yolks in beef fat w/ fresh chives and white pepper. HWC yoghurt made w/ gelatin.
L: Grass-fed beef and celery, braised in beef fat. Perhaps more hwc yoghurt.
Decaf w/ hwc and co.
S: Beef burger and melted cheddar, greens.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #485
Major LCF Poster!

Today I had:
B- ricotta pancakes (you inspired me Dogman!), coffee with almond milk
L- one minute muffin = 1 egg, 2Tbs Coconut oil, 1tbsp almond flour, 1/2 tsp glucomann,
1 tbsp protein powder, 1tbsp cocoa, stevia/splenda
blend to taste. Water to drink.
S- 4 oz ground chicken patty with cream sauce and provolone over shirataki noodles
Water.

First time I've had lunch in a while and feel full even though supper is in the oven waiting for DH to get home from work. I'm sure I'll eat anyway - I'm a bit of a glutton for a small woman.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Oh shunsweets you're so sweet! IMO the thing about adapting to LC is tweaking foods to your liking.Some people for example might try the ricotta pancakes and give it a thumbs down on the first bite like my younger son. I hope you enjoy the pancakes as much as I do. You can always adapt it to your taste by a little experimenting. I even added a teaspoon of psyllium and it seems to puff up the pancakes.

Has anyone every tried the A1C test from Walmart? It's the one for $9 . You send the results to a lab and they inform you of the results.

Maria Emmerich has some very good books with fantastic recipes that are inspiring for me... worth checking out

Today's Breakfast:Quick and EZ
Avocado stuffed with salsa
Turkey slices
Almond "cereal" w/ 3 Raspberries (soaked crushed nuts in cream over night) w/vanilla flavoring
Cheese stick
tomato juice
Coffee w cream
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #487
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, all. Dr. B's next talk is June 29th.

If you'd like to send him a question, here is the link:

Ask Dr. Richard K. Bernstein
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #488
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Hi, all. Dr. B's next talk is June 29th.

If you'd like to send him a question, here is the link:

Ask Dr. Richard K. Bernstein
Thanks for the reminder and link, his teleconferences are a great resource for information.

chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Hi chiody,I noticed one of your post a while back. Welcome to the Bernsteinians. Pretty impressive stats. My last A1C was 5.4 , from what I've observed my trigs went up slightly and that's more than likely due to eating a bit too much (very limited quantities) of cantaloupes and cranberries.
I checked out your Seafood Buffet Binge pics and of course "Goal Reach?" post.
I like the part about "my new found libido is bucking the expert's opinions/beliefs, ..." Not to broadcast but I've noticed the libido and my muscle tone are without doubt coming back . I've read that over consumption of carbs can have an estrogen like effect on men.
chiody, do you take supplement ? I'd be interested to know.
Looks like you're doing things right...
Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #490
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Yes I do take supplements, fish oil, alpha lipoic acid, chromium GTF (glucose tolerance factor), mega multivitamin, and a baby aspirin currently.

With LCing, wt. loss can be the initial goal but it's so nice seeing it's other benefits too.

Congrats achieving such excellent A1C results! The small rise in triglycerides shouldn't be a major concern as long as your other markers are fine which is what I presume to be true.

Take care! Keep up the great work!
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #491
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yougottaeat
Stats: 173/129/130
Start Date: July 1 2003
What type of ALA have you found most effective, the R-ALA or ALA sustain release, for lowering blood sugar numbers?
yougottaeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Where have we all been?

Hi Ya'll Bernsteinians. I got real sick for awhile. I traveled and visited away from the computer for a bit. Now I'm doing okay. I have found that I get a bit 'low' from time to time. My solution has been to have a brown rice cake and a heap of no sugar peanut butter on it. If you remember I've had a gastric bypass, (DS) so I don't absorb a lot of things. I have found a fiber supplement helps me too. I take so many supplements (special formulas for those of us who mal-absorb) that one more is easy. I added potassium and magnesium because I was getting horrific leg cramps. It seems to have helped. My last labs showed I was low on sodium. I don't eat very many salty things but I don't hold back either. I thought that was strange.

How are you? Anyone got their ears on? What's yer 20?

dewster

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #493
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Hi there all!! Dew--I cannot even imagine what you have been through. Sorry for all the malabsorption issues you have. Apparently I have them too! My hair analysis shows my sodium/potassium levels are out of whack. As well as other things. I like taking Natural Calm for the magnesium. Are you just doing the capsules? I take mega doses of potassium too. But found that coconut water usually does the trick for those cramps.

You wouldn't even want to hear what we have been dealing with over here. My youngest has had bronchitis, my eldest has been diagnosed just this past week with mono--he has been sleeping since father's day and has been jaundiced for a couple of days!! Quite scary to see him literally turn yellow in front of your eyes. And he is 15, not a baby. Cannot stick him in the sunlight to get rid of the yellowness. My DD Amy seems to be the healthy one in the bunch for now...well with the exception of her older brother who is more than fine. We have switched up her insulin doses because her sugars were going so high with no change in diet. What we consider too high and the doctor considers too high are soo different so we do what we want. So we figured that her honeymoon phase is over and her pancreas just up and finally gave out. But we are not freaking out about it. Just moving on. Oh and we figured that just giving more insulin when her sugar is too high does NOT work!!! Her numbers would be high, we would give a lot of insulin (5 units is not her normal dose and we would try giving her that much) and then the numbers would still be high at the next blood sugar check. What works when it is hot out, is water. It is the best for getting sugar down when it is high!!! What we have learned and have forgotten so easily!!

Oh, well enough here. Have a great week everyone!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #494

Gallery: kristina
Stats: Pant size 22W Petite
Start Date: July 17, 2014
*subscribes*

kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #495

One Minute Muffin? (saw it in a post above)

Is there a recipe in the recipe section for this? I'll go check...think I found it already

1-Minute Muffin
1/4 cup Flax Meal
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinamon
1 Egg
1-2 teaspoons Butter

1.5 Carbs

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffe cup. Add egg and butter; mix well. Microwave for 50-seconds to 1-minute. Muffin pops right out

Last edited by kristina; 06-29-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Hi there all!! Dew--I cannot even imagine what you have been through. Sorry for all the malabsorption issues you have. Apparently I have them too! My hair analysis shows my sodium/potassium levels are out of whack. As well as other things. I like taking Natural Calm for the magnesium. Are you just doing the capsules? I take mega doses of potassium too. But found that coconut water usually does the trick for those cramps.

You wouldn't even want to hear what we have been dealing with over here. My youngest has had bronchitis, my eldest has been diagnosed just this past week with mono--he has been sleeping since father's day and has been jaundiced for a couple of days!! Quite scary to see him literally turn yellow in front of your eyes. And he is 15, not a baby. Cannot stick him in the sunlight to get rid of the yellowness. My DD Amy seems to be the healthy one in the bunch for now...well with the exception of her older brother who is more than fine. We have switched up her insulin doses because her sugars were going so high with no change in diet. What we consider too high and the doctor considers too high are soo different so we do what we want. So we figured that her honeymoon phase is over and her pancreas just up and finally gave out. But we are not freaking out about it. Just moving on. Oh and we figured that just giving more insulin when her sugar is too high does NOT work!!! Her numbers would be high, we would give a lot of insulin (5 units is not her normal dose and we would try giving her that much) and then the numbers would still be high at the next blood sugar check. What works when it is hot out, is water. It is the best for getting sugar down when it is high!!! What we have learned and have forgotten so easily!!

Oh, well enough here. Have a great week everyone!!!
Wow!! That's a lot to deal with
Old 07-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #497
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
Start Date: 9/2010
How much protein?

I found Dr. Bernstein a number of years ago, but was unable to commit to "no fruit no grains". In September 2010 I discovered I have some kidney impairment. I've been a Type2 for about 30 years. I was in my early 30s when I was diagnosed, so you know about how old I am . Anyway, things have gone great - my primary goal of getting my diabetes under control is going great. Back in September I was taking 60 to 80 units of Regular a day and 40 units of Lantus at night along with Metformin. My blood sugar was still out of control!

Now, I am taking 21 units of Regular a day and 39 units of Lantus and Metformin and my blood sugar is rarely over 100 - even after meals. I am thrilled.

I've lost about 43 pounds and have no set goal in mind. I think it is highly unlikely that I will ever be at what my doctor thinks of as a normal weight, but that is ok. I'm eating this way for life and hope eventually to lose a few more pounds.

Now for the question! I listened to Dr. Bernstein's teleconference the other day and he mentioned cutting protein if a person is stalled. I have the first edition of Diabetes Solution and can't find anywhere that it gives a guideline about how much protein a person should eat. Does anyone have info on what Dr. Bernstein recommends?

Also, he mentions that he won't prescribe Lantus. Anyone know what his objection is to Lantus?

Thanks a lot. I enjoy this forum a lot and read here every day. Will try to be better about posting.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Hi Mobear and everybody,

I don't recall that Dr. Bernstein recommended a specific amount of protein. There are websites that recommend a gram for every 2.2 lbs. of weight (that is a gram for every kilo). That can give you a baseline to start with.

Losing weight can be a tough process. I lost a lot quickly when i first started Bernstein and gave up those grains, fruit and milk. I did stall eventually though and while I have tried this and that I still seem to settle back at the high end of the normal weight charts. It's hard to feel hungry or even just unsatisfied for very long. I admit to a heavy emotional component to my eating, so being able to just stay right here is a good accomplishment for me, and I don't take it lightly. I'm also grateful that my blood sugar is under good control.

Good luck with whatever you try. I think we eventually figure it out, but it's not easy and it's not quick. Oh, yes, and let us know what helps you!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
Start Date: 9/2010
Thanks for the info on the protein. I came up with the same amount on the calculator that is on the Blood Sugar 101 website. I kind of thought maybe I had just missed where Dr. Bernstein talked about it. Guess I'll just keep going with my 12 oz. or so and see what happens.

I sort of expected to stall out because I lost about 43 pounds between September 2010 and early April 2011. I don't weigh myself so I'm not sure, but my clothes don't feel any different so I am probably stalled.

My main goal was getting my diabetes under control and that is much better. I'm taking much less Regular insulin.

I'm not even close to normal weight, but I know I won't stick to this if I am hungry and feeling deprived all the time. I am also an emotional eater (though better than I used to be) but most of the time I can eat LC and that helps.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #500
Senior LCF Member

Good Golly!

I don't think I've received a notice of a posting on here until today. I've missed a lot. I do go thru some periods of memory lapse . . . and sometimes seem to live in a parallel universe. I have been in very great pain in my back for some time now. See my PCP tomorrow and I'm going to see what we can do to strength my narcotics. I guess I'm ready to live in oblivion rather than suffer thru this 10+ pain every day. I was hurt in Dec 2000 so it's only been 10.5 years. I can sometimes get it down to 5 but have burned out on my current narcotic and I'm not allowed to take more of it.

I've had a UTI since early June. The standard test doesn't show it. My urology surgeon knows to culture it longer but my PCP doesn't do that. I'll beg again tomorrow. Sorry 'bout all the whining. I'm kinda' miffed that I didn't know ya'll were posting. My BS have been up ( 140s) because of my infection. Maybe I should fast till my appt tomorrow at 2:15 and have her do a A1c. My last one was excellent, 5.7 thanks to Dr. Bernstein.

dawnyama, OMG you've got your hands well. Hope the kidz are getting better.

I just take OTC tablets from Wally's. They do seem to help somewhat. I just stop getting spasms for long periods of time and then they come back with a vengeance. (Potassium and magnesium)

BTW, I'll be a great grandmother come January, my first. My baby granddaughter turned 16 today. The oldest is 22 and it's the 20 yr-old that is prego. My dau (38) has surgery Tuesday and we are supposed to get to hear our baby's heartbeat of Wednesday. I hope I can do the 45 min drive both days to get to them.

Took a trip to my Sissy's at the coast for her b-day today (July 1st . . . she said I had called and told her I'd be there on her b-day and never showed. Senility?) My doggie (pictured) went with me, my son (drove) his wife and his son. You should have seen that old puppy playing in the bay. He was fetching sticks out of the ice cold water. It was adorable!

Thanks for being here. Glad you've been active w/o me!

Bernsteinians forever united!
hugs dew
Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #501
Senior LCF Member

1 minute muffin ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina View Post
One Minute Muffin? (saw it in a post above)
Is there a recipe in the recipe section for this? I'll go check...think I found it already
1-Minute Muffin
1/4 cup Flax Meal
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinamon
1 Egg
1-2 teaspoons Butter

1.5 Carbs

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffe cup. Add egg and butter; mix well. Microwave for 50-seconds to 1-minute. Muffin pops right out
kristina do you use a silicone pan in the micro? Do you follow Bernstein? Have you read his books? 'Cuse me cause I've been off the planet Bernstein for a bit. I'd like to try the muffins. It might fix a 'carb' craving - maybe with some sugar-free PB!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #502
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Dewdrop - glad you're here with us.
I like the 1 minute muffins for breakfast sometimes. I make them with almond flour as I don't eat flax. I do use a silicone mini muffin pan in the micro and you are right they are much better with some nut butter or cream cheese and sugar free jelly.

Hope they get your pain under control. Horrible to live with daily chronic pain and I applaud your positive attitude.

I find protein to be as important as carbs in managing by bgs. I try to have the same amount every day. 2 eggs for breakfast , and 4 oz of meat for dinner. If I have lunch(not very often) I try to stick to high fat/low protein, low carb choices. Of course I don't always get it right.

Where's Dogman? Having fun I hope.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #503
Senior LCF Member

Here I'm am shunsweets ! Hi everyone, I've been working like a dog on remodeling the kitchen, 95 % finished, whew. Got to keep Mrs. Dogman happy. Dewdrop take care of your dog gone self !
Yeah, shunsweets, flax (meal) seems to get my BG a bit too high for my comfort level. I was taking 4 Tbsp with some cream and flavoring and making some porridge/oatmeal kind of hot cereal with a few raspberries. I haven't given up on it completely, I cut the flax meal down to 2 Tbsp . More often I grind up some Almond nuts and soak them in cream over night and heat it up in the morning and add a few wild raspberries and vanilla flavoring. Dawg gone good!
Avocados never seem to get coverage. Am I the only one eating them?

I'm still reducing my body fat percentage, now down to 13.7 % .

Interesting books about recipes and health if you can get them from your public library are from author Maria Emmerich, I think she's the real deal.
Interesting too are Podcasts on The Jimmy Moore Show. Very interesting subjects related to LCing. Check the archive section .

Diet ? What Diet?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #504

Dogman--I am in love with avocados. My DD ate them all the time when she was a baby--won't touch them now. DH and I think a salad should not be eaten without it!! We were quite sad the other day when the grocery we were at had none. How dare they!!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #505
Senior LCF Member

Oh dawnyama, you're so funny ! Your grocer didn't have avocados? Must be a conspiracy for sure...
Avocados always seem to taste even better with something else. Guess it's the high fat. Just love my fat ...
Get this, my former Doc said that avocados had too much cholesterol and to not eat them.
I fired her and changed to another Doc but I think he's a quack also.
I inquired at Atkins Center.com to see if there's a chance of finding an Atkins friendly Doc in my area. Maybe just maybe there's a worth while doc out there with my health needs. Who knows...
Old 07-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #506
Senior LCF Member

I got back on the Fentanyl patch. Arthur (Itis) thought that it would be fun, yesterday and today to make me think my wrist is broken. I am so drugged and wanting a sugar high too. God help me! Luckily there's nothing in the house.

My raspberries are ripe. It's poop scoop day and then I can pick a cup or so of raspberries. Last time I took my cup but I ate all the raspberries b4 I got them into the cup.

Avocados yes! Straight up or 'in' anything.
dew dew
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #507
Senior LCF Member

Dew,
Don't get the poop scoop and the raspberry cup mixed up.
You're going to the DOGS ! Give Toby a hug for me !
Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #508
Senior LCF Member

Cauliflower Pizza Crust ?

Where'd everyone go? I took a bath 2 weeks ago...

In case someone may be wondering

Tonight's menu will be Pizza made with cauliflower for the crust. Has anyone tried it?
Cover me, I'm go'in in...will report back...
Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #509
Major LCF Poster!

Mmmm pizza. Let us know how it is. I make the really easy one that is just eggs and cheese for crust and toppings. Haven't made it in a long time. Sounds good.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #510

Well we are in vacation in TN for the week. We are loving it her in the mountains. We are in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area and love it!!! The indoor and outdoor water parks are awesome. What is not awesome is we got word yesterday that my step-dad passed away. He was 6 years into colon cancer so we were not surprised, but shocked it happened nonetheless because he was fine just less than a week ago. It put a damper on things as yesterday was my wedding anniversary---married 17 years!!! Ah, such is life. If it isn't worrying about your kids, it is your parents right????!!! My mom doesn't want me to cut my trip short so we are here til Sat with very sloooow internet connection. I hope to be able to get some time off work next week to go to FL.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote