Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #451
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
It's nice to read everyone's posts. Am glad you all are doing well.

I've been enjoying eating celery root with my meat or eggs at breakfast these days. I like both raw celery root and raw turnip. I'm always pleased when I have a chance to get to the market that has the celery root, as it is one of my favorites.

Am looking forward to Dr. B's talk in June, and wondering what changes will be in the new edition of Diabetes Solution.....

Best wishes to all.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #452
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Girondet, whew, we had some awful tornado damage in nearby Massachusetts town where I live. Hope this isn’t a preview of what’s in store for the summer…

Auntie Em, I've been wanting to try celery root for some time. Thanks for the tip.

Recently, I fired my doctor of 8 years and was in search of a real doctor. I realize that my expectations are too high and therefore unrealistic. This started me thinking of perhaps becoming a long distance patient of Dr.B. Since I live in Massachusetts I thought of taking a day and making an appointment to see him. I called his office and spoke to his receptionist person briefly. She informed me right from the “get go” that new patients need to be given 3 session appointment of 4 ½ each and on different days, and that in all likelihood my insurance would not cover the expense. In one fell swoop the thought of having Dr. B as my Dr. was shot to heck. I must say there is no way I could afford thirteen hours of doctor time. Without getting too long winded on this subject, I have to say that I’m disillusioned with Dr. B…
I’m indebted to Dr B. for in all likelihood saving my life, so I need to temper disappointment.
Another thing I really dislike is Dr. B hoards his web cast and doesn’t archive them for people like me who enjoy listening to past web cast. If anyone likes to listen to podcast concerning low carb subjects Jimmy Moore has a great web site. I wish Dr. B would use the same format. Does he really need the money? Didn’t think so…Maybe I’m being too critical…Can't expect him to work for free either but something seems amiss...
Will I buy Dr. B’s new book in November when it comes out? Yes, without doubt…

Anyone notice the news on Dr. Oz having a polyp recently? The news also mentioned his disillusionment as to how a healthy lifestyle could account for this occurrence.
Ever notice a picture of the US Surgeon General's. Can we be expected to take these people's advise seriously ?

Last edited by dogman; 06-03-2011 at 09:17 AM..
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #453
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Hey dogman Jimmy Moore has a list of DrB friendly physicians on his web site - maybe there is one in your area. I know Dr B himself doesn't really see just regular patients. He does those 3 day "get you started" appointments with patients from all over the world and yes it's a super pricey 3 days! We can get the same advantage by reading his book and following his program for just the price of the book. The problem is finding a Dr who will cooperate with writing any prescriptions we may need and ordering labs rather than just brushing us off. Keep looking there are some good ones out there. I need to find one myself!

Did anyone see the news story about the man with type one for 85 years. He basically follows a vlc diet and monitors his bgs precisely and takes no quarter from Drs who are young, nondiabetic, and try to tell him what to do. Quite a character.

I've been keeping carbs <30 and protein between 60-80g daily and increasing fats to fill out my diet. Lots of butter and coconut oil (I use refined, virgin gives me hives!). So far it seems to be helping stabilize by bgs. Still not quite where I want them but better.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #454
Senior LCF Member

Hi shunsweets
The new "Dr" who've I've been to once, lost a lot of respect from me when I mentioned that my FGS was 110 for a couple of weeks. He didn't think that was really that bad. What a dim wit. I was concerned as to whether my BG monitor was accurate or not plus that cost of testing strips are so expensive. Like you said the "problem" is finding a Dr who will cooperate and ordering lab test etc. And yes, I got the brush off .

I'd like to see the story on the 85 man you mentioned. can you get a link?

BTW I make a coconut oil "candy" at home we call hippie candy.
1 cup coconut oil, 1 packet diet coco (swiss miss) a little stevia, vanilla extract blend together. I chop some almonds and add about a teaspoon of almonds into little aluminum muffin "tins" take the melted mixture over the nuts ( about a tablespoon) press down on the nuts so it makes contact with the liquid . I sometimes add one cranberry and a sprinkle of shredded coconut on top. Put the candy in the fridge and enjoy when it solidifies.
I usually melt my coconut oil on the window still (melts at 76 degrees)

Great to hear the coconut oil helps you. The dogman's wife says that she loses weight when she eats coconut oil and avocados.

Last edited by dogman; 06-03-2011 at 12:41 PM..
Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #455
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, I'm sorry about the news from Dr. B's office. I thought Dr. B made a different appointment schedule for out-of-town patients. That's too bad about the insurance. Sounds as though his office is a celebrity practice. I wondered about that. Would his office give you a recommendation for a doctor in your area?

I agree that his plan is brilliant. I combined Dr. B's recommendations with Dr. Kurt Harris', plus a few adjustments of my own, and really enjoy my food plan. The constant amounts from meal to meal each day is nice. I like the general standards of how to figure grams of protein in meats and the carbs in vegetables. It makes reckoning very easy. I do still weigh portions though, as I'm not good at guessing weights of meat, and I like to make sure I'm keeping things constant.

I tried rutabaga (swede), but it was too sweet for my taste. Your hippie candy sounds as though it would be a big hit with those who can eat all the ingredients.

I was able to listen to the April Dr. B broadcast the day before the May broadcast. Might have been an oversight that it wasn't taken off line. There must be a way to download them, or record them.

Shunsweets, I'm sorry about the hives. Thanks for the warning. I do keep diphenhydramine handy. Here are my current amounts:

I'm still at my 20-ish carbs per day.

B: 3-3.5 ounces PRO, 5g CHO, and bit of HWC in my tea. Only one pot of tea these days.
L: 3.5 or 4 ounces PRO, 5-7g CHO, and 1-2 T. hwc yoghurt or bit of cheese
Decaf coffee w/ part of day's hwc after lunch
Or fresh lemon juice in water
S: 3-3.5 ounces PRO, 5-7g CHO, and 1-2 ounces hwc yoghurt or bit of cheese.

Day's HWC = one ounce
Instant decaf and lemon juice have a few carbs so the total comes to ca. 20 easily.

I grow some of my own veggies, and several herbs, so only have to buy celery, celery root, turnips, and lemons this summer.

Hope you all are doing very well.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-03-2011 at 01:40 PM..
Old 06-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #456
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Lab test query as such

Regarding ordering lab tests, I get mine from Healthcheck USA and peruse the web for "coupons." Last battery of VAP tests were done for under $90, not really that bad. Results are confidential, with hard copies and email reporting.

I went to the Anthrotech website and they have a "physicians/professional" section outlining how to interpret results with many scenario's to follow regarding needed medication. This can be a great way to grasp what is going on with your markers.

You don't have to possess a medical degree to understand their recommendations. In essence, we're taking the reins in our hands to varying degrees questioning current status quo treatment for our predicaments and challenges. Just am thrilled at hearing the progress reports on these forums.
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry dog man I don't know how to do links. But the story was on the news section of comcast.net too. Maybe you can find it there. I'm such a computer dunce.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

I'm going to check out that health check USA site chiody. Thanks for the tip.

AuntieEm - your diet plan looks wonderful. I, too, find the constant levels of protein and carbs helpful. I tried Juddd with it's alternating hi/lo days and it was a disaster for my bgs. Simple and constant works better for me. Now I just need to find your level of discipline for avoiding the occasional unnatural product - like carbsmart ice-cream or protein powder. I'm good 90% of the time. I also find eating out for work or family gatherings difficult.
Dog man - your candy sounds good. I can't do the Swiss miss but maybe I can try it with cocoa.

Last edited by shunsweets; 06-03-2011 at 05:33 PM..
Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I googled '85 year old type 2 daibetic' and found and article on keyvive.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Here's a link to the original story... Man celebrates 85 years of living with diabetes | The Salinas Californian | thecalifornian.com
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #461
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Just wanted to say that I enjoy reading here, even though I don't have diabetes or any high blood sugar readings and don't specifically follow this particular diet plan. But it does help keep me eating along some better menu plans than I might otherwise. LOL

My dear sister has diabetes (she calls it the *beginnings of diabetes*) but her doctor does keep a wonderful eye on her and checks her quarterly, and she is on metformin. And I am proud of her, that she does such a good, good job holding to her eating plan without being a member of any discussion/information/support forum.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you all for some good information here. Interesting reading. I wish you all the greatest success with your program, and great joy in your improving and continuing good health.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #462
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, all.

Shunsweets, I find the constant amounts very stabilizing. Dr. B's plan is so easy to adjust to fit. I don't think of myself as disciplined. If I eat something which makes me feel off or unwell, I have to avoid it, or find the right amount of it, and how often I can eat it. Combining Dr. B's plan with Dr. Kurt Harris' recommendations, avoiding nightshades and some of the FODMAPs, has made life ever so much nicer.

I'm looking forward to the new edition of Dr. B's book. Am wondering what the changes are.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #463
Senior LCF Member

Auntie Em, Yes, I did ask for recommendations of Dr.s in my area. But no go.
Interesting that you grow veggies in your garden. I also love my garden especially now,I get salads every day . I use the Square Foot Gardening and been doing it that way for well over twenty years. You directed me a while ago to Dr. Kurt Harris , I like his advise. I like his " 12 step list, nice and simple.

June CC, thanks for the link on the 85 man , very interesting.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #464
Senior LCF Member

Auntie Em, What's the deal with avoiding night shades type plant foods? Potatoes I can understand but what about a couple a slices of tomatoes and peppers?

Also, I noticed that Bob Krause the longest living type 1 diabetic is actually 90. Oh, I get it 5+85 is ninety ...

"He says he's not as active as he once was, so he doesn't need a lot of fuel — or variation in diet. For breakfast every day, he eats a bowl of nuts and five pitted prunes. He usually skips lunch and eats a salad with some lean meat for dinner."
Five pitted prunes? Whoa! Not sure what that would do to BG . Guess he must be something right!
Maybe worth a try...
Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #465
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Dogman. I'm glad Dr. Harris' blog has been of use to you. Nightshades are often problematic for folks with allergies and arthritis. I just feel ever so much better without them. I don't have any links bookmarked, but there is some good info online about nightshades and why folks avoid them. They are just a category which bother some people, and not others.

Thanks for the chuckle. I, too, will stay with Dr. B's recommendations.

I don't miss eating fruit, not even prunes.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-06-2011 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #466
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Hi shunsweets
The new "Dr" who've I've been to once, lost a lot of respect from me when I mentioned that my FGS was 110 for a couple of weeks. He didn't think that was really that bad. What a dim wit. I was concerned as to whether my BG monitor was accurate or not plus that cost of testing strips are so expensive. Like you said the "problem" is finding a Dr who will cooperate and ordering lab test etc. And yes, I got the brush off .
I took DD to the pediatrician for her stomach a few weeks ago. When I mentioned that her bgs were higher than they have been running--higher than her "normal"---I got the "are they out of range to where you need to check for ketones" remark too. I said "No but for her we consider them to be high". And yes, they were only in the 110's but for us that is too high!! Now remember she has type 1 and is taking insulin every day. So these docs just don't get it. It has been weeks that they have been high and just now are we seeing her numbers getting back down to her normal. This past week no matter how much insulin we give her the numbers just have not gotten down. We are thinking that her pancreas has shut down and the honeymoon phase is over. We like to see her numbers run at about 100 or less. Funny that her tummy is not hurting her as well I would love her to see Dr B as a patient as well, because I am not thrilled with her endocrinologist. But we are even further away than you!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 06-06-2011 at 06:38 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #467
Senior LCF Member

Auntie Em,
Thanks for the interesting info about nightshade. I took quick search and notice some interesting things. Recently, I noticed that my finger joints were feeling stiff and nearly painful. I started taking glucosamine, chondroiitin with MSM. I noticed a real positive difference in about five days. What is also interesting to is I eat home-made coleslaw almost every day made with ½ green pepper and paprika spice. Both of these items are said to have the compound from nightshades that may aggravate arthritis related symptoms. I’m thinking of eliminate these two ingredients and see what happens.

Dawnyama, So sad to hear that bgs are causing problems for DD. And observation I’ve been making with my FGS is, when I take a 1 mile walk after supper my BFS in the morning is way better. I plan a keeping a log to see if it’s more than a theory. Just a thought but maybe you and DD could take a walk after super and see if it works for you. I’ve also notice that if I don’t sleep well my FGS and blood pressure seem to be elevated in the morning.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #468
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PlainlyJane
Stats: 219/201/140
Start Date: 3/8/11
Hi all! I've been away for awhile thanks to a infected computer, but I have restored it, twice because the first time I managed to "save" the virus and infected it all over again. I am now fully functional. LOL Tommie has a dr's appointment next week and I shall let you know how that turns out. Neither one of us has lost any more weight....but that could be (99%) because our church has been having constant things going on with food involved. How can you tell them no? I did at first......

Tom is still being plagued by diarrhea and fatigue. I'm hoping the doc will give us some insight on that. I have missed you guys!
Jane
PlainlyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #469
Senior LCF Member

PlainlyJane,
When it comes to well meaning friends I just say to them "I know the food you've made is very good but it doesn't agree with me. If I were to eat it I'd have to go back to taking medication", or something like that . Usually the person will respect your wishes and not prod you to eat something that you know is bad for your health. I take no prisoners, friend or foe when it come to this issue, you should to. Usually with me, I take one look at the people who are well meaning and if they're body's are not a "living temple" you should have a warning alarm go off in your head. The Scriptures speak of not becoming weighed down with overeating, that's the best authority for me, church people should know that too.
Hope, Tommie and you do well in the future... and check-in from time to time.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #470
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, I have also found some things improving being on low FODMAPs, if that's of any use.

Jane, I agree with Dogman on the "take no prisoners". One must draw a line in the sand and guard it 24/7. There is no other way. I don't discuss my health with folks. I thank them for their kindness and say I am on a special diet and "No, thanks". The line drawn in the sand is a very high fence. It is no one's business what someone else does or doesn't eat. Yep, clean living and being as protective as Gideon's army are vital, to me.

Best wishes to all.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #471
Major LCF Poster!

Just read the article on FODMAPS AuntieEm. Very interesting. The only ones I eat come from polyols in some artificial sweeteners and yes they certainly cause quick fermentation and digestive upset. I don't eat any of the other sources mentioned but remember always having severe distress from onions and beans when I ate them. Amazing how the actions of little bacteria in our guts can effect our entire well being. And of course the fact that they are rapidly fermented carbs only leads to elevated bgs for we diabetics as well. I found the ameliorating effects of fiber interesting too. Maybe that is why the glucomann seems to help me. It is the only fiber product I've found so far that my gut tolerates. Thanks for the link AuntieEm.

So what are the Bersteiners eating today?

I had eggs scrambled in coconut oil and coffee with almond milk and splenda for Brk.
Plan a cheeseburger for supper. Hardboiled eggs and bologna for snacks.

Have a great day everybody.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #472
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, I am hoping Dr. B will address FODMAPs in his new book, esp. about the distension-raising blood sugars connection. I also hope that he will address the PUFA/oxidation/Omega 6 cause of inflammation and blood sugar regulation.

Here are the two of Dr. Peter Gibson's papers on FODMAPs I could find that will post. One of them is the one I linked above.

Evidence-based dietary management of functional gastrointestinal symptoms: The FODMAP approach - Gibson - 2009 - Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology - Wiley Online Library

Personal view: food for thought &ndash; western lifestyle and susceptibility to Crohn's disease. The FODMAP hypothesis - Gibson - 2005 - Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics - Wiley Online Library

Today's menu for me:

Black tea w/ a few drops hwc
B: Beef bacon and egg yolks, fresh chives, white pepper. Bit of mild cheddar cheese.
Instant decaf w/ a few drops hwc.
L: Beef bacon and chicken livers on freshly harvested greens. Bit of hwc yoghurt.
Decaf...
S: Tuna and pastured butter on fresh greens. Piece of mild cheddar.
Fresh lemon juice in water.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-08-2011 at 01:51 PM..
Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #473
Senior LCF Member

Auntie Em, Whew, That's quite a bit a information to "digest" ...
As always your input is always interesting to say the least. I'm looking forward to Dr.B's book to see what's new and improved. I love your comment to Jane about Gideon's army ....

Last night I had:
2 chicken sausage dogs
Cauliflower mashed potatoes
Coleslaw
Breadless Bread Pudding
Jello
Tea
2 "Hippie Candies" (Coconut Oil ,Coco,chopped almonds etc.)
2 "Doggie Turds " (string cheese baked with encrusted almond flour and spices)

Diet ! What Diet?

Last edited by dogman; 06-09-2011 at 06:45 AM..
Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, thanks for your kind thoughts, and thanks for the chuckle. Yes, the FODMAPs info takes a good bit of thinking through. I haven't completely eliminated them, but keep them very low. I incubate my yoghurt very long to greatly reduce lactose. The last batch incubated 17 hours. Here is how to make hwc yoghurt, if anyone is interested.

Do you mind sharing your cole slaw recipe?

I agree, what diet!

Today's food:
Tea
B: roast beef and cooked celery with white pepper
Decaf w/ hwc.
L: lo roast beef, chicken livers and some beef bacon with mixed fresh greens, perhaps some cheese or a bit of hwc yoghurt or hwc custard
Decaf w/ hwc
S: Freshly cooked grass-fed beef burger! Mmmm. A few greens or some broccoli. Bit of hwc custard, most likely.

I don't know how anyone could find Dr. B's plan hard to follow. I really enjoy eating this way. (How's that for an egocentric remark. )

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-09-2011 at 07:33 AM..
Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #475
Senior LCF Member

Auntie Em, I originally found the slaw recipe in Dr.B's book. Over the course of time Mrs. Dogman has adapted it to suit our taste. I'll get it to you ASAP .
I must say you are very diversified in your topics. The yogurt I eat is only about 4 carbs for 8 oz serving , plain of course. It's made in Providence Rhode Island , by Narragansett Creamery so good, I add some favoring to it and I'm happy and content. For a while I was adding a few too many (about 10) raw frozen cranberries and crushed almonds. It was pushing my BG a bit too high but very tasty...maybe I could get away with 3 or 4 cranberries.

Today's Lunch:

Ricotta Cheese Pancake
Garden Salad with Caesar Dressing (From McDonald's)
Snapple Diet Lemon Tea
Breadless Bread Pudding
10 Almonds
1 "Hippie Candy"

I'm Lov'in it...
Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #476
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, I will look for the slaw recipe in Dr. B's book. Your yoghurt sounds nice. I sometimes put Knox gelatin powder in mine, before incubating.

Best wishes to all for a lovely week-end.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Auntie Em,
The Slaw recipe has continuously evolved to where Mrs. Dogman and I can finally agree without getting into a pit-bull fight.
Until recently I was adding half a green pepper and some paprika. Also rather recently my fingers were getting stiff and I learned from you that nightshades can make the problem worse. So those two ingredients are out of the recipe. Some people like to add lemon peel zest.
Everything is approximate in measurement , people need to make it by taste.
Start with about ¼ cup of pickle juice. We use Mount of Olive brand, no sugar added.
About 3 Tbsp of Bragg’s apple cider vinegar.
About 3 heaping Tbsp Mayonnaise
Black Pepper to taste and about ½ tsp celery seed.
Take a taste test to see if it meets your approval.
If you need sweetness you can add stevia.

Mix ingredients in a bowl that will accommodate the coleslaw you will need.
Add the coleslaw I use the readymade one in a bag. It’s the one with multicolored mixed one not the straight cabbage, that one’s too strong for my taste.

Today's Breakfast:

3 Ricotta Pancakes
1/4 Cup V8 juice (with fiber)
1/3 Avacaodo
Almond milk
Coffee

Last edited by dogman; 06-10-2011 at 07:10 AM..
Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #478
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, thanks for the recipe. I will adapt it to my food plan. Am planning to make celery root slaw soon.

Today's food:
Tea w/ a bit of hwc
B: Grass-fed beef burger, hwc yoghurt
L: Decaf w/ 1/2-1/2, two sausage patties, (at a café)
S: probably burger and greens, piece of mild cheddar
Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #479
Senior LCF Member

Auntie Em,
I noticed in Nutritional Data the celery root appears to be fairly high in carb content.
Am I correct in saying Celery Root is the same as Celeriac. If so 1 cup has 14g Carbs 3g fiber.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #480
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, yes, that is similar to the info from the site I use. I eat 2 ounces, and it is not a problem for me.