Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #421
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Hi Dawn. Hang in there and just go through the process with the diabetes "educators". They mean well but are just clueless. Once you've done your time in the required classes you can pretty much devise your own program with as many carbs as your sweet daughter can handle and maintain good bgl's. It will work out and she will be so much healthier thanks to your knowledge of lowcarb.
I keep saying/asking this and don't get a clear answer. Maybe all y'all will know? When Amy wakes up her blood sugar is really good--under 100 and never below 70---so right on target. So due to that, she gets no insulin. There is no need to correct a good BS number. Then she eats breakfast, which again is not carby enough to get a correction. She mostly gets about 10-15 carbs. She gets a unit of insulin for every 20 grams of carbs per meal. She is "supposed to" get about 45 carbs per meal But we don't reach that target. So she goes to school with no insulin. Is that good, or bad???? I would think that with Dr B saying 30 carbs a day, broken down between B, L, and D that it would be OK. But I just don't know. All the "experts" tell me is to get her to eat more carbs!!! But actually, I don't want her to. Any ideas????

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine View Post
Hey Dawn, she is so lucky to have a 'LC' mom like you. I have a very good friend whose daughter, now a young woman, was on SAD for life and probably still is. In her early 20s, she has already had an amputation of one of her feet. She is a very beautiful young woman but has no one who 'understands' the carb diabetes connection.

I'm a T-2 but know that the children of T-1 suffer the greatest of consequences of dietary maleficence that the SAD diet reeks on them. Thank you for being such a wonderful mom! Let me know if you have any openings for daughter.
One of my co-workers has a similar story. She is only in high school (I work in Starbucks!) but her friend has diabetes as well as celiacs. My co-workers' friend's parents went to Honduras during her last year in high school. The friend didn't want to miss out on her senior year in high school, so they decided to keep the girl in the States with the grandparents. The grandparents have no clue how she needs to eat. They prepare food for dinner and it is completely what the child cannot eat I was in complete shock when I was listening to this story. This was even before Amy was diagnosed!! I was appalled that the parents would go off out of the country without leaving instructions for the grandparents to care for the daughter. I don't know if the grandparents just don't care or what, but the poor child doesn't eat at home...at all. Fortunately she knows what she can and cannot have (she has real problems when she eats the wrong things), I just wish the grandparents knew how important it is for the daughter to have the right foods. I would never do that to my kids---or anyone else's for that matter!! This is children and their well-being for Pete's sake!!!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Hi Dawnyama, (and everybody else too!)

It is the autoimmune attack that causes the type 1 Diabetes. I am having that myself, although it is typically much, much slower in older people. I treat my situation by low carbing, and I have myself tested from time to time to see if the autoimmune attack is better/worse. Some researchers believe that letting blood sugar run high hastens the autoimmune attack and thus the move to insulin/insulin increases. Some type 1's don't make any insulin, some always still make some. It varies from person to person.
I think the autoimmune factors you are referring to are the GAD 65 antibodies, and there are a few others, like IA 1 and IA 2 that are some kind of islet cell antibodies. Adults who have the antibody attacks typically test high for GAD 65, but children test high for the IA 1 I think. Any of these indicate type 1 diabetes. It's also not uncommon for people with type 1 to get Hashimoto's at some point, and another autoimmune problem or so. If she gets tested for Celiac's disease, it is my understanding that it will not be an accurate test unless she has been consuming foods with wheat/gluten. Of course the test will be negative if she has not been consuming these things....

There is a lot of controversy about keeping carbs low, as you know, and even more about doing it with children. In my opinion, for what its worth, as I'm just a lay person who reads a lot, you are doing the right thing to keep her carbs low. It's good to keep the control as tight as you can without hypoglycemia in order to save the pancreas as much as possible and also to avoid future complications. A functioning pancreas makes the diabetes easier to control is my understanding.

No one knows what causes the autoimmune attacks. It's likely a genetic tendency as well as an environmental insult of some type working together. Type 1 is on the rise as well as type 2. Wheat is implicated, as well as milk proteins in the food category. Just theories though, not proven.

In my opinion you are doing the right things. Just test her a lot to make sure that if she needs insulin that she gets it....

Last edited by girondet; 04-29-2011 at 07:24 AM..
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #424

Thanks so much!! Yeah, when the DE starting talking lab numbers my head started to hurt and she lost me real quick!! I cannot follow those science type things. That is some great info you included up there. The doctors keep saying that it is better for her to be high with her blood sugars rather than low. Because with the lows she can pass out. But with the highs she is causing damage too. I just don't know why they would say stuff like that. Too high numbers are bad too.

Amy just told me this morning that she realizes she does better on more meat with less carbs. So she is learning!!! Only took her 10 years and diabetes to internalize what I have been preaching!!!! I want her to want to do this through diet. I don't want it to seem as I am pushing this low carb on her. So happy to see this change in her way of thinking.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #425
Senior LCF Member

I believe the medical establishment views hypos as an immediate threat while damage from high numbers is much slower. Well, usually....unless numbers get really high and there is ketoacidosis....very dangerous for that to happen to a diabetic and type 1's are the ones most prone to it....so it's good you check your daughter's numbers often and will catch the situation if her numbers get too high.....and she may eventually need insulin no matter what her diet, you know? Diet is an important factor in control, but it's not the only one.

They always worry about lawsuits too. So...they stick with a very moderate protocol....very slow to change and doesn't conform with the latest research for a very long time..

There is still a lot that is unknown about diabetes. It was only figured out that type 1 is caused by an autoimmune attack in the last couple of decades.
But no one knows what causes the attacks, and it may not even be the same thing for everyone that gets them.....

The good news is that people with diabetes can live long, healthy lives with good control. It's wonderful you are teaching your daughter well in this and helping her become knowledgeable about it.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Dawn it sounds like you are doing great. As far as your question regarding no morning insulin it might be best to have her test once (maybe with the school nurse?) to make sure she's not going too high at school. Most type 1's will need a small amount of insulin even with a zerocarb meal to process the protein but if she still has some natural insulin production she may be just fine. If she's honeymooning her insulin needs may continue to drop for a while then creep back up. There is a lot of trial and error and adjustments with diabetes - you may find yourself having to change dosages, diet, exercise depending on lots of factors. No exact science here! So glad you are off to such a great start.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Dawn it sounds like you are doing great. As far as your question regarding no morning insulin it might be best to have her test once (maybe with the school nurse?) to make sure she's not going too high at school. Most type 1's will need a small amount of insulin even with a zerocarb meal to process the protein but if she still has some natural insulin production she may be just fine. If she's honeymooning her insulin needs may continue to drop for a while then creep back up. There is a lot of trial and error and adjustments with diabetes - you may find yourself having to change dosages, diet, exercise depending on lots of factors. No exact science here! So glad you are off to such a great start.
Thanks. She tests a lot at school. She eats snack barely 2 hours after arriving, then about 2 hours later before lunch and again before dismissing at 2:30. Then before PE on Fridays. I think she tests more at school than at home And for a while she was brought into the nurses office an hour after her lunch dosing because she was soo low before dismissal, the nurse wanted to catch the low before it happened. We have played around with her dose of insulin so that no longer happens. The DE even had us add a dose of insulin when she eats her after school snack as her before dinner BS has been running kind of high. So hopefully that will bring her better numbers all day. The thing I wish for----that there was a black and white one size fits all solution to this whole thing. I am not doing well dealing with the "try it and see" approach. I just want someone to tell me exactly what I need to do!!! That would be soooo much easier!!! Y'all have been amazing--thanks a bunch to y'all
Old 05-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Spinach quiche

4-5 Eggs
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 c almond flour
1 pkg frozen, but thawed and drained spinach 'n squeezed dry
1/2 onion or one small onion diced
1 lb package Mexican shredded cheese
1/2 stick butter
1 c unsweetened almond milk

Preheat oven to 350 and throw butter in the 9x13 pan to melt (don't burn)

Mix eggs, milk, baking powder, almond flour, salt , drained spinach and eggs
together (you can at this point sprinkle in some pepper, chili powder, Chili
Con Limon, etc..for extra pop). Then add shredded cheese and mix well. Put
into 9x13 and bake for 30-35 minutes.

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #429

This has absolutely nothing to do with diabetes, but thought I would share how I spent today:

Video Landing Page - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

I have had all the tv stations in the area come by my house today to talk about 9/11 and bin laden. Hope y'all can take a moment to see it.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Watch Fat Head

I was just reading a post on the main board. It gave me a link to this movie. It's pretty extreme but it does enforce the belief that carbs are what is making us fat.

Watch it free on Hulu.com at the link above or just search Hulu for Fathead
Old 05-06-2011, 04:56 AM   #431
Senior LCF Member

I'm sorry about your brother Dawnyama and so glad Bin Laden is finally no longer an issue.

Thanks for the quiche recipe and the link to Fat Head, Dewdrop....I did watch the movie a while back, but it helps to be reminded from time to time how some carbs are just not an option for me, even in small quantities. Good that the recipe uses almond milk too. I consume way too much cream I think, now that I'm using it in both tea and coffee.

I have been in kind of a funk lately so not talkative. I have missed you guys though, and plan to get active again.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #432
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
I have been in kind of a funk lately so not talkative. I have missed you guys though, and plan to get active again.
Miss you too!

I am fighting three infections. I thought it was weird that my sugars suddenly started going over 120! But only like 148, I think was the highest. I had been in denial about the one infection but knew it was brewing . . . I am so tired of them. Like I've said before . . . I take two antibiotics prophylactically. Now I'm on cipro and hoping to stay out of the hospital and/or avoid a pic-line. I have appts on Mon and Tues, sigh . . . getting old stinks! Being diabetic stinks!

I'm going to go work on a web design . . . that's funner!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #433
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
This has absolutely nothing to do with diabetes, but thought I would share how I spent today:
Oh Dawn, that was beautiful! I didn't do the link until I realized that it was a personal connection. Our news is flooded with Osama talk. Sigh!

You've honored your brother. You've survived and thrived. He'd like that. I admire your courage and strength.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #434
Senior LCF Member

I hope your Dr. appts go well DEW, or provide you some good answers at least. Let us know.....Happy Mother's Day too! I'm thinking about you.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #435

Happy Mother's Day today!!! Hope y'all had a great day. I am thinking of you too Dew on your doctor's appointments and hope they go well this week. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Good Evening.

Peter Dobromylskyj has a new post up at his blog, Hyperlipid, and I thought you all might find it of interest.

Hyperlipid: Why low carbohydrate for diabetes (summary)

Best wishes to all for a lovely week.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #437

I know all has been quiet here lately, but I was wondering if you could help me out. My DD was not feeling well yesterday so the school nurse sent her home. She thought maybe she could be coming down with the flu. The nurse herself had it on Sat (confirmed with a doctor's test) and she sent 5 students home last week with it. DD did not have a fever, however her stomach was hurting so much she was crying. She seemed fine yesterday and was playing around with her siblings so I sent her to school today. She ate nothing for breakfast and still looked like her stomach hurt. Normally I can get her to eat a little something. Her blood sugar was a bit higher than normal yesterday and was a bit elevated this morning too. If she is coming down with something this is the first illness she will have gotten while a diabetic. Not sure what to do!!! I am guessing just make sure she gets fluids at least? I just hope she gets through this quite quickly. We have a sick day plan, but if she refuses to eat? Just not sure how I will get through this. I will have to update if she does indeed come home sick. Just putting this out there in case.......
Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #438
Senior LCF Member

Dawn, from what I've read about type 1, it will be necessary for you to keep a close eye on her and test her bgs often. I'm not sure how high they can go before you have to seek medical care. I hope that won't be necessary. What about calling the Dr.'s office and getting some feedback from them? I don't recall anyone here who has type 1.

Maybe Shunsweets can offer more. She is an RN.

Hoping for it to clear up soon.....
Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #439

Thanks. She is fine today. No more stomach ache, but her numbers have been "off" today. DD even mentioned it. She is really in tune with this stuff---from a 10 year old no less. So we are thinking something is up! What it is, we don't know. We will have our eye out for something in the next few days. Btw, her appetite was great at dinner. She ate 2 helpings of my casserole we call "scalloped ham and cauliflower". I think all is well. LOL
Old 05-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #440
Senior LCF Member

i'm so glad!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #441
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Hi guys, been away for a while probably a quiet time for me, very busy around home, honeydew list...
Great to catch-up on the all the updates.
Dew, I'll have to try your Spinach quiche.
girondet, you're not being affected by the Miss waters I hope.
dawn, I hope for the best for your DD.
I've been checking Jimmy Moore's web site, very interesting and varied topics related to Low Carb lifestyle. There's even an interview with Dr. Bernstein in the archives.
Just finished a good book, "It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life" by Lance Armstrong ( a real American hero IMO). I can't feel sorry for myself after that one...
Rain and more rain here in Massachusetts, whew . So awful to hear about the Miss flood waters, sigh...
Take care everyone,
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post

i'm so glad!
Well her stomach was hurting again this morning. I cannot help but think of what the nurse told us at our first endo appointment. She may have celiacs disease and WILL eventually get tested for it. My doctor thinks I may have it too. So if her stomach keeps hurting I will have to investigate this a bit further. But the tummy has only started to hurt a couple of days ago. And she is saying her blood sugar numbers are wacky. Not quite sure what is going on. And don't know if we need to adjust her insulin or just ride with whatever is going on. I am hopeful that in a few days something will pop up so we will get an answer if she is indeed coming down with something.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #443

dogman--thanks for mentioning the quiche. That is a great food to have on hand for "whenever". I know that my DD likes the one I make with swiss cheese and bacon. And I make one with pepperoni and Pizza cheese. Good thing eggs are on sale this week!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: May 2003
Dawn - I know that celiac disease and type 1 often go hand in hand so that may well be a factor in your daughter's stomach pain. I avoid all grains as my stomach can't stand any of them(and my daughter and 1 grandaughter have the same problem. It does seem to run in families.). If her bgs stay elevated or more unstable it's time to check with her Doctor, her "honeymoon" levels may be changing.

Hope all goes well.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #445

Thanks Shun. We have a diabetes support group meeting on Sun so I am hoping we can hold off til then. The nurse that DD has been seeing will be there. We have been collecting some questions for her. I don't want her to go gluten free and then have her tested at a later date because I hear that in order to have her tested she has to eat some grain. How awful for those with celiac to have to suffer like that. I went to my first celiac support group meeting this past Monday so I can start gathering some info. I enjoyed their little get together. I got a great local gastroenterologist name & number so that I can have that connection when I need it. I can hardly believe that some doctors don't believe in celiac disease when a biopsy won't show it. How rude!!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #446
Senior LCF Member

Convention madness . . . Just back this AM!

Lovely except 4 pain. Justhomr

n
Old 05-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, all. Dr. B's talk is tomorrow evening at 8 PM, CST.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #448
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
Start Date: 9/2010
Thank you so much for posting the link to Dr. Bernstein's conference. I get so much from the questions and answers. He is an amazing doctor.
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #449
Senior LCF Member

Dew point

I've missed ya'll. I just got back from Idaho, Spokane before that. I had those infections and thought they were gone but the worst one wasn't. It's back but doesn't register on the 'normal' test so I have to see if my URO will test it. I don't see her until August.

I have been eating unclean for awhile and have to get my head back together. It's not impossible to travel and eat clean but it is complicated and expensive. I paid $15 for a 'social hour' with h'ordeuvres and the only thing I could eat was cheese cubes. What 'they' think of as food. OMG! And the restaurant at the hotel had the weirdest food choices (all bad choices) with very strange combinations. I got a hamburger thinking I could throw the buns away. Huge chunks of ground black pepper and I had to gag it down. $10 . . . for an uneatable burger!

Hope all is well. I am so tired! I've been sleeping almost constantly since I got home. Sigh!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #450
Senior LCF Member

Hi DEW, I hope your infection clears up soon. It must be hard to face that ongoing thing but you are a tough lady and will put it behind you if anybody can. I'm with you on how tough it can be to eat out on trips. It's those ugly surprises when you think you've ordered something pure and clean that get to me too.

No climactic catastrophes here. We are prone to tornadoes and heavy rains but this year have been spared so far. Thanks for the good thoughts DOGMAN