Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #391
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Dew dooing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Bee seminar, dew ? Did you get the point?

Why, I do declare y'all your English is impeccable and indubitable ( think i learned that from the Three Stooges )

OK, I got it. I'm going to make those rutafries.
Not only did I get the point . . . I got the eppazooti. I can't talk which the kidz find delightful. I have been asleep 'cept to eat 'n doo my biz which I got back Monday evening.

These people use bees to pollinate their trees on the Xmas tree farm. Honey, the by-product also sells well in their gianomous Christmas shop. It is the destination for trees at that time of year. The father of the family died last year just before Christmas, much before his time.

I don't like honey but I have heard that bee stings make Arthur mad enough to leave you. I'd like to get Arthur off my back, hands, feet, etc.

Oh yeah BTW I lost 4 lbs while up there.

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #392
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PlainlyJane
Stats: 219/201/140
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 3/8/11
I will try the double fry method.....although I think I may have done that accidently. The soaked Rut's cooled my grease....so I took them out while it heated up to desired temp. Does that count???

Oh my welcome to a new page! How exciting page 14!

I don't know if you guys noticed but I lost another 3 pounds!!!! My scale is schizophrenic, so when that low number appeared for the first time since I've owned that scale I jumped off before it changed it's mind. ROFLOL

Last edited by PlainlyJane; 04-13-2011 at 09:47 AM..
PlainlyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:06 AM   #393
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I am going to jump right in here and say Hi!! My DD was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on March 16th--just 14 days after turning 10 years old---of this year. I am trying to learn all I can and hope that I can learn here through y'all!! I have gotten the book, The Diabetes Solution, from the library until my copy came in the mail. I have not even had the time to read it yet, but have skimmed through it. There is so much to learn, that I fear I cannot do it all!! As you can see, I sure know low carb, and from being here at LCFs for many years I know a thing or 2 about Type 2 diabetes. But the Type 1....clueless!!! I am going through this thread for some ideas, but if you have any more tips or tricks I am all ears. I have already copied/pasted the brownie recipe from dogman--thank you!!! But know that my DD is not interested in those things---at least yet. She is still so used to the real brownies and candy bars so her palette needs changing. At the hospital she was told "no junk" and we have been trying real hard to comply, but I must admit it is hard!!!! She is a picky, picky 10 year old who like pizza and chicken nuggets with Cheetos! Just getting her to eat breakfast is hard!!!! She goes to school a lot of times with no insulin. I am hoping that is not a bad thing. Her numbers have been all over the map--we have not gotten the hang of all this yet. Anyway, I will end it here and continue later as I feel I have written a book for now. I do have many, many questions and issues that have come up but I will save that for a later time.

***Let me add this---she has eaten so much cheese--because it is a "good snack" that I think I should invest in a cow!!! Any other suggestions for a free snack for a picky 10 year old would be great. We do not correct for any snacks that are less than 15 grams of carbs. I know this is not Bernstein's plan, but it is what we were told in the hospital. She is constantly wanting to eat, too. I am afraid that all the weight she just lost will come piling back on and then some. But I do have to say that she is eating really great. Salads/yogurt/sandwiches for lunch. I know---I cringe when she eats a sandwich but I am having to deal with my DH who says what the people who are on her "diabetes team" says--she needs to eat "normal". I can win him over, but have to do it slowly and my way. Not shock and awe for now!!! Thanks!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 AM   #394
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Oh dew, OK I give up. I need a translator of what you said into New Englandees. Years ago honey would give me a sick stomach so I don't miss it, too sweet besides.

My question is, if you guys are losing weight where's it all going? Are you getting better miles per gallon ?

I believe I'm at my set point weight, I only vary by two pounds. I've been using a body fat percentage monitor for the last few months to get a better idea of body composition and I like it.
Body weight taken by itself can be misleading. So my advise is don't drive yourselves batty with the scale. The better question might be , how do your clothes feel? Also, using a body tape is a lot better than the scale alone.
OK, now that I burst your bubble, I'll concede great job with the weight loss....

My better half is buying new clothes every two weeks because of lose fitting clothes, this LCing is getting pretty expensive.

dawnyama

Last edited by dogman; 04-14-2011 at 05:32 AM..
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #395
Senior LCF Member

DD with diabetes

Type 1 is so serious! I have a teenage friend who has lost a foot to the disease. They do not try to diet control . . . just pump the insulin. On my signature line are the two books by Dr. Bernstein. Read them from cover to cover and try to explain the complications to her. Ten year olds are smarter than us . . . that's the truth.

You can also get a copy of his older book (updated recently). Any man who is 80+ and a Type 1 is golden in my book. Did you know he invented the glucometer?

We all follow as closely as we can. The hardest part for me is no fruit. (I am a Type 2.)

I adore celery with chunky PB and/ or cream cheese. (No ants on a log!) Zucchini is a good with PB too. Pickles are great. Bun-less hot dogs with dill relish and mustard.

Try to get her to test before and after some things. Let her keep her chart of numbers. It's amazing what seeing my own numbers did for me. Get those gold stars ready Ma! None glucose treats are a good way to encourage behavior modification. Let her help design her wall chart . . . yes, princesses or dragons. Try to add some fun to the tracking. The shots don't hurt (twice insulin dependent) but sticking your finger is *(&^%, said that way for 10 yr old ears.

Let her read the list and book too. The problem with the ADA is that they recommend the SAD diet with insulin. Insulin yes, SAD no way.

Hope my rambling helps. There are T1s on here that will have more input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I am going to jump right in here and say Hi!! My DD was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on March 16th--just 14 days after turning 10 years old---of this year. I am trying to learn all I can and hope that I can learn here through y'all!! I have gotten the book, The Diabetes Solution, from the library until my copy came in the mail. I have not even had the time to read it yet, but have skimmed through it. There is so much to learn, that I fear I cannot do it all!! As you can see, I sure know low carb, and from being here at LCFs for many years I know a thing or 2 about Type 2 diabetes. But the Type 1....clueless!!! I am going through this thread for some ideas, but if you have any more tips or tricks I am all ears. I have already copied/pasted the brownie recipe from dogman--thank you!!! But know that my DD is not interested in those things---at least yet. She is still so used to the real brownies and candy bars so her palette needs changing. At the hospital she was told "no junk" and we have been trying real hard to comply, but I must admit it is hard!!!! She is a picky, picky 10 year old who like pizza and chicken nuggets with Cheetos! Just getting her to eat breakfast is hard!!!! She goes to school a lot of times with no insulin. I am hoping that is not a bad thing. Her numbers have been all over the map--we have not gotten the hang of all this yet. Anyway, I will end it here and continue later as I feel I have written a book for now. I do have many, many questions and issues that have come up but I will save that for a later time.

***Let me add this---she has eaten so much cheese--because it is a "good snack" that I think I should invest in a cow!!! Any other suggestions for a free snack for a picky 10 year old would be great. We do not correct for any snacks that are less than 15 grams of carbs. I know this is not Bernstein's plan, but it is what we were told in the hospital. She is constantly wanting to eat, too. I am afraid that all the weight she just lost will come piling back on and then some. But I do have to say that she is eating really great. Salads/yogurt/sandwiches for lunch. I know---I cringe when she eats a sandwich but I am having to deal with my DH who says what the people who are on her "diabetes team" says--she needs to eat "normal". I can win him over, but have to do it slowly and my way. Not shock and awe for now!!! Thanks!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #396

Thanks for the responses already!! I saw the list of foods that Dr B said are "no-no's" on his plan and when I showed them to my DH he immediately said "no way!!!". Like I said, it will be a struggle to get him on board. But we did have a scare this past weekend and I think I can win him over in time. My DD had been complaining of her leg becoming numb and really sore. Since we do the Lantus shots at night in her legs, we discontinued that. She now gets them in her belly. But she was still complaining of leg numbness and pain. Off to the doc for a looksee and they said it was "growing pains". She does indeed have inflammation in her knee, but my DH was thinking her leg would be amputated!!! I mean she has had this diabetes for 4 weeks and he is ready for her to get diabetic shoes. LOL. The doctor reassured him it would be years before we see any complications from the diabetes. But my goal----to have NO complications from it. I know, "they" say just eat normal and correct for it. I know that she will need the insulin to even live and exist because she doesn't have any of her own, but if we can get away with less what is the harm in that? I already had an argument with her dietician about bananas. I told her that I thought that bananas were a big huge no food for any diabetic, while she thought that it was a perfect food. I said "Too much sugar". This will be a long haul for us for sure!!! I have to read all I can about it so I can be prepared for what comes ahead. My DH and I have already had to decrease her lantus (the overnight insulin) by a whole lot because what they had her on was causing her to go too low overnight. She was on 20 units and now she is getting 14!!! I mean, I wish they would let you know that you are literally on your own with this while in the hospital. We also think she is on the wrong formula for "covering her carbs". That seems to put her into hypo episodes too. So frustrating. And it gets me frustrated as the days go on.

As for Amy, she is taking this like a champ!!! She sticks her finger, records the numbers and then gives herself the insulin. I have not had to do anything regarding the shots. At least that is one thing the hospital was good for!!! LOL. The sooner she learned to do it, the better they told us. Of course, we help her out, but she is the main person doing it.

dew--I am most impressed with Dr B's story. I was a bit sad to hear that he is looking for a successor but I think that anyone in his 80's would be wise to do so!! I think it is amazing what he has done. I sure hope that someone picks up the torch and follows through with his work. I was hoping that since my DH is also an engineer he can benefit the most from his book. Alas it hasn't happened yet, but we have not had the time to concentrate on Amy alone. DH's aunt was in the hospital not even a week after Amy got out and stayed for 9 days. She was there getting gall stones out, then they took the gall bladder out too. We are her emergency contact since her DH died 5 months ago, so caring for Amy and DH's aunt has been a chore to say the least. Dh and I are both now sick with colds and I am sure it is 100% from the stress of everything in the last month we have had to deal with. That and the fact that we have 3 other kids to tend to!!!! Dh has taken to the chore of getting up at 2AM for the BS readings. That is so awful, but we know it has to be done. DH has breathing problems and they are getting much worse as stress tends to make it so. So we are all not doing well LOL. The stress of this has just about killed my DH.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #397
Junior LCF Member

Hi Dawn: So sorry to hear about your daughter, how frightening that must be. My advice is to read Dr. B's book from cover to cover.....there is so much information in there....take notes....let your daughter read it too. Ten year olds read Harry Potter, Dr B is much easier to understand. He developed Type 1 at 12 so she will probably relate to him. This will not be as bad as those voices in your head are telling you, you already have half the battle won. You are a low carb expert!!! You know where to find the things you need, etc. As a child what we want most in the world is to feel normal, just be like everyone else. Food is a major part of that....it will be hard, but soon, when she feels better, she will have a new normal. Dr. B's method will mean less insulin, less fear of low blood sugars....it will be worth it in the long run. What a blessed child she is to have you on her side! She may NEVER suffer from complications because you got the BEST advice right from the beginning. My prayers go with you....may God give you the wisdom to deal with every aspect of this.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #398
Senior LCF Member

Luck?

Dawn, I couldn't have said it better than PlainlyJane.
Only the best

Tell me this is LUCK ? A former work colleague finally was able to contact me after several years after leaving my former employer. After talking for a few minutes he mentioned to me that was now diabetic type 2. Being somewhat an expert on the subject I directed him to Dr. Bernstein's book. I'll be in contact with him in the not too distant future...
Luck?
"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."
―Obi-Wan Kenobi
Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #399
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Dawn. Sounds like you are hitting the wall of the SAD diet that all the diabetes educators seem to have been taught. How fortunate for your daughter that you know and understand low carb. It will truelly be a lifesaver for her.

It may take some time to adjust her insulin levels and ratio to keep bg stable. Encourage her to read Dr B's book or read it together a chapter at a time. Knowlege is power and a 10 year old can grasp all this info very well. Keep working to get DH on board as your DD will need a united support team - this is for life.

There are lots of lc recipes all over LCF. Let her make cookies with almond flour or meat and cheese on a lc wrap instead of a sandwich.

Hugs to all of you. The first months are tough but soon you'll be cruising along and know more about how to handle diabetes than most Drs.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #400
Senior LCF Member

dawnyama, speaking of candy, I recently discovered something that keeps my sweet tooth pretty happy. Coconut oil, chopped walnuts or almonds a little unsweetened shredded coconut, stevia, diet Swiss Miss. I liked it so much I ordered more coconut oil . For me, there's really no good reason to go back to SAD. Your DD might like trying these candies.

Last edited by dogman; 04-15-2011 at 05:24 AM..
Old 04-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #401
Junior LCF Member

I truly learned stuff in Dr. B's book I had never heard before. On of my friends has been having constant infections and I told her that she may be diabetic.....after suffering for about three weeks, she finally went to the dr's....blood sugar was high, but not off the charts, so she is scheduled for a fasting bs soon. She feels like she wasn't hit from left field because of my warning...and I have recommended Dr. B's book to her. When I read about the stones in the salivary glands....a diabetic nephew just went through that, had no idea it was related to his diabetes...now he does. He's a Nurse Practitioner now....I don't know if he'll rebel against everything he's been taught or what, but hey at least he has a head's up!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #402

Well, you guys are a wealth of information. Thank you so much for everything you have given me so far. I will have to change her palette dogman for she thumbs her nose at me when I whip out my coconut oil!! Quite ironic that I started using coconut oil the year she was born. Yes, I have used coconut oil for a very long time. LOL. But we will get there!! All this in time. I do realize now that we have some. At first I wasn't so sure, but now I know she is fine and will be fine. I don't have that doom and gloom anymore. I think I read it here, but it could have been on another forum, but we are to use the doctors basically for prescriptions only. The daily management comes from us. If they only would tell you that in the beginning I would not have gone bonkers for the past month. I feel like I have been in a circus and just been running around in circles. This has been a nightmare so far, but now I think we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We have been given a lot of mis-information and I was doing her insulin wrong, then the prescriptions were not right, this has been frustrating. Oy!!! Again, thanks for all your help and support. So much more than what I got from anyone else!!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #403
Senior LCF Member

I made the rutabagas fries for dinner last night, sure they tasted good but I believe they're responsible for the highest FBS since I started checking it almost every morning for nearly a year.
My FBS today was 116 and that's a record high for me. I'm curious to know how rutabagas fries affect others. Oh well, back to the drawing board. sigh
Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #404
Senior LCF Member

I made the rutabagas fries for dinner last night, sure they tasted good but I believe they're responsible for the highest FBS since I started checking it almost every morning for nearly a year.
My FBS today was 116 and that's a record high for me. I'm curious to know how rutabagas fries affect others. Oh well, back to the drawing board. sigh
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #405
Junior LCF Member

The next time Tom eats them I will have to watch his FBS......I know they did not raise them two hours later....now I'm worried. I don't want to give them up, but of course I will if they raise his BS. He's been working so much I hardly see him. I have to just pray he's eating right on the road. We had a very loud discussion about it a couple of days ago. It's hard but not impossible to eat right at truck stops. One just has to plan ahead, or stop and think. I'm trying to do the planning ahead for him, by telling him what to look for. sigh.....I feel your pain Dogman.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #406
Senior LCF Member

I've push my Doc appointment forward to Monday. Maybe I have an infection, and maybe that's why my FBS is up too many maybes and I'd like to know why.
For all I know, the rutabagas might not be the problem. I did check the "Nutrition Data" information and noticed that rutabagas are in the extreme area of carbohydrates in the "triangle" . Not something I like to see.
Hope no one hits the panic button because of my experience I'm just a little concerned why something like this is happening to me. I was doing so well for almost a year now this.

Nutrition info of rutabaga

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Rutabagas, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #407

Did my posts drive everyone away??!!! LOL. So sorry if that is the case. We met with the nutritionist on Mon night for Amy. She was in a kid's nutrition class for diabetes. Could not have been more of a joke!!!! She was confusing the ketosis with ketoacidosis. I was taught here at LCFs that any nutritionist who does that is no good. Well, I kept my mouth shut and am glad I bit my tongue many times. She was talking about how bad butter was for you!! OMG!!!! Anyway, she was telling us that the endo won't give patients a pump without attending one of her classes. So we did and survived!!! But in one ear and out the other for me. We meet with the nurse at the endo's office today. Cannot wait for that one too. Geesh!!! What they don't know will kill my baby girl. I will update when we get back. Y'all have a great day!!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #408

Quote:
dawnyama, speaking of candy, I recently discovered something that keeps my sweet tooth pretty happy. Coconut oil, chopped walnuts or almonds a little unsweetened shredded coconut, stevia, diet Swiss Miss. I liked it so much I ordered more coconut oil . For me, there's really no good reason to go back to SAD. Your DD might like trying these candies.
Good thing you ordered more coconut oil. The site where I get mine from is telling Jimmy Moore (Living La Vida Low Carb) that coconut oil will be in short supply real soon. I have enough, thankfully to last a while!! I order everything from lotion to body scrub from Tropical Traditions. I love them!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #409

Quote:
I've push my Doc appointment forward to Monday. Maybe I have an infection, and maybe that's why my FBS is up too many maybes and I'd like to know why.
How did the appointment go?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Dawn. Hang in there and just go through the process with the diabetes "educators". They mean well but are just clueless. Once you've done your time in the required classes you can pretty much devise your own program with as many carbs as your sweet daughter can handle and maintain good bgl's. It will work out and she will be so much healthier thanks to your knowledge of lowcarb.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Hi dawnyama, thanks for the interest . I'm not at all impressed with the new doctor I decided to go to. I told him my FBS was at one time 116 and that for the last couple of weeks it's been over 100. He didn't seem to think it was a big deal but I know better.
He believes the A1C test will really determine whether I have a problem or not. That test will be done in September. In the mean time I asked that he issue a "real" BG monitor since I currently use low budget types because the testing strips cost and arm and a leg. He declined and said he needed to check my A1C. It's kind of like flying a plane with a faulty gas gauge. The doctor believes that monitors are normally not really all that accurate and can be off by twenty points. For almost a year my FBS was really nice usually 85 but never above 90. I remember where it did go 105 and a day or two later I had a sore throat. Now, I'm not sure if my monitor is giving a bogus reading or if I have an infection going on.

About the coconut oil, I'm on the hunt searching in the Asian markets for coconut oil hoping I can get it at a better price. I recently bought some bok choi there for $1.50 there instead of 3 dollars at the regular store.

The search continues...
Old 04-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Dr. B's tele-seminar at 8 P. M. tonight, EST:

Ask Dr. Richard K. Bernstein

I didn't have a question for tonight, so just wrote a note of thanks.

Filling out the form for the question and clicking "submit" takes one to the page to listen to the tele-seminar.

You could try this direct link, don't know if it'll go through:

http://www.instantteleseminar.com/?eventid=18758784

Dogman, if you're interested, I think Dr. B's office has a list of doctors they work with, in various cities. I'm sending you all best thoughts for that 85-90 again or Dr. B's goal of 83! I don't know if Dr. Peter Dobromylskyj's post on fasting blood sugar and LC is of use to you. He explains why LCers have higher fasting blood sugars, but better A1c. Just in case it is of use,

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...esistance.html He makes several comments after the post, in response to readers' comments.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 04-27-2011 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: added explanation
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Dr. B is on now. Topic tonight is "Diabetes and Cancer".

His next talk is May 25th.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #414
Major LCF Poster!

Dr. B said that a revised version of The Diabetes Solution will be coming out next November. I will call his office to find out if that is this fall or next fall, and post what they say.

His talk will still be available to hear for a few more hours.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #415

Thank you for that info Auntie Em. I will have to see if any docs are in my state--I doubt it, but you never know. I am still on the hunt for an endocrinologist to help me and my thyroid! Amy's visit went well--I am guessing!! I don't have time to post it all right now, have to run to a meeting I forgot about. But will be back later with more details.

Her A1c was 8.4 which was better than it was a month ago. It has come down a whole lot--it was 12. something in the hospital. She is just one month into having the diagnosis of diabetes and we know that the A1c measures for the last 3 months, so taking that into consideration some of those higher blood sugar numbers are in the mix there!! So I am anxious to see the next one we do in 3 more months. I am sure that will be on target!!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #416
Major LCF Poster!

Dawnyama, I'm glad you all are making good progress.

I called Dr. B's office and the revised book is to be published this coming November.

I'm looking forward to the updates.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #417
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Subscribing.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #418
Senior LCF Member

Diabetes and chronic infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainlyJane View Post
I truly learned stuff in Dr. B's book I had never heard before. On of my friends has been having constant infections and I told her that she may be diabetic.....after suffering for about three weeks, she finally went to the dr's....blood sugar was high, but not off the charts, so she is scheduled for a fasting bs soon. She feels like she wasn't hit from left field because of my warning...and I have recommended Dr. B's book to her. When I read about the stones in the salivary glands....a diabetic nephew just went through that, had no idea it was related to his diabetes...now he does. He's a Nurse Practitioner now....I don't know if he'll rebel against everything he's been taught or what, but hey at least he has a head's up!
Oh Jane, so true! I take two antibiotics prophylactically and I still get infections. I currently and dealing with another UTI (?) or something else horrid and an infected lump on my back, not yet looked at. I was hospitalized a few years back for two weeks on IV antibiotics for cellulitis in my left ear. Yes, my ear got as big as my head and bright red within just two hours or so of something infecting me. Cellul Itis is just about at the top of my list, but my friend, Arthur Itis is my main enemy on a daily basis.

More later I am very busy destroying my backyard and possibly the rest of my home . . . well, it's supposed to be moving toward an improvement. LOL?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #419

Well, I totally didn't know what to expect out of this first doctor's appointment with Amy. It wasn't actually with the endo--it was with the diabetes educator, who happens to have type 1 herself. So it was nice to have someone to talk to who is living it. We switched Amy's 24 hour insulin to the "pain free" one. Why would you start off with giving a 10 yr old the one that is painful and burns upon injection??!!! Just boggles the mind what they are thinking!!! She is getting the Levemir at night now. We got as low as 12 units but I think that is making her morning numbers too high. We were doing well with 13 units but DH wanted to go lower. So back to 13 to see the difference. I did not realize we could play around with all these meds like this. It feels kind of weird!! I am used to being told what to do, not try it and see. Definitely something we have to get used to. Then we changed around her carb to insulin ratio. She was getting so many lows just because of too much insulin. 1 unit of insulin per 15 carbs----not good for someone her size. They are saying it is because she is in the "honeymoon" period. I say it is because she doesn't need as much insulin because she is a smaller person!!! Whatever, they changed her correction formula as well. So she hopefully won't be going low as much as she was. I feel much more comfortable with all this stuff. All it took was time. The nurse mentioned that she has 2 autoimmune "factors" out of 3 with the diabetes. We were going over her labwork and I knew about the Hashimoto's (related to the thyroid) but I could not for the life of me figure out what the second one was!!! LOL. She also talked about the celiac connection with diabetes. She says that Amy is not showing signs with her latest labs from the hospital, but will be testing her for celiacs in the future. So that was the appointment in a nutshell. She says the Amy looks very healthy and is doing well. I am very happy with her progress as well!!! I am making her favorite casserole tonight. She would eat this morning, noon, and night if I had it available!! LOL I will post the link to it....the only substitution I do is make it with a but of sausage, instead of bacon. The sausage gives it more flavor as I have tried it with the bacon and we were not that impressed. But we love it!!! Here ya go:

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

I hope y'all try it and enjoy as well!!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #420
Senior LCF Member

Oh Dawn!

Hey Dawn, she is so lucky to have a 'LC' mom like you. I have a very good friend whose daughter, now a young woman, was on SAD for life and probably still is. In her early 20s, she has already had an amputation of one of her feet. She is a very beautiful young woman but has no one who 'understands' the carb diabetes connection.

I'm a T-2 but know that the children of T-1 suffer the greatest of consequences of dietary maleficence that the SAD diet reeks on them. Thank you for being such a wonderful mom! Let me know if you have any openings for daughter.