Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #331
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PlainlyJane
Stats: 219/201/140
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 3/8/11
Today's stats:
110/135 (before and after breakfast)
123/118 (before and two hours after lunch)
118/70 (before and 2 hr after supper)

Got notice from our internet provider that we will be offline due to upgrades untill Sat. So untill then!!!
PlainlyJane is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Way to go PlainlyJane !

BTW Has anyone ever checked Gary Taubes vs Dr. Oz ?
Will the real Dr. please stand up...
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #333
Junior LCF Member

Tom woke up with BG of 89 this morning. That was at 5:10am. He had to leave by six, an early morning for him. I think he's feeling much better, although he's not the type to say so. I don't know why my internet is still working, but I'm not complaining! Hope everyone has a great day today!
Jane
Old 03-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #334
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Super news, PlainlyJane, when my fbg gets in the 80's I feel inclined to try a cartwheel!!

I may have to try those brownies. Love love love chocolate!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: May 2003
Well I'm experimenting with decreasing my metformin to 1000mg a day (from the 1500mg I currently take). I know it will take a few days to see any difference meanwhile I'm keeping carbs<30. I only subtract 1/2 of fiber carbs and count everything else as Dr B suggests.

Fbs this morning 96 - about average for me. If it starts to be routinely over 105 I'll know I need the higher dose of met.

I've been trying the Mama Lupes wraps with cream cheese for snack time. Anyone had luck with these?

Jane how is it going?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #336
Junior LCF Member

I'm Back! Ok....went to UMC this morning for "Diabetes Education." Yes....such fun, we were told that he needed more carbs...much more. I told them that did not work for us and to please opt us out of their future classes. Then it was on to the med clinic where they copied our Glucophaff sheets for the doc to see and gave us an appointment for tomorrow...because they think his BS is too low! Hopefully they will decrease his meds tomorrow. He did have the shakes a little while ago and when he checked his BS were 52....so he drank some apple juice, and ate a snack. I think we have not even been having 12 carbs per meal so I need to work on that. However....I will take that problem over 400bs's any day. This morning his fasting BS was 62....so hopefull less meds in his future.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #337
Major LCF Poster!

I hope they decrease his meds Jane. A low carb diet is very powerful at lowering blood glucose levels and he will need less meds so long as you maintain low carb. So nice to have the ability to really improve our health by our own efforts!

Ofcourse it is not easy and we all struggle with diet at times.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #338
Junior LCF Member

Hey guys.....in today's "training session" we were told to never stop taking med's w/o a dr's approval....but Tom is afraid to take his nite meds because his blood sugar is so low....less than 70 right now. What to do??????
Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #339
Junior LCF Member

Well....he did not take them and woke up with BS 165. Although he did eat some carbs last night to raise his BG.....nothing over the top though.....sigh
Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like the meds just need to be titrated down to match his carb level. It's a balancing act and takes some time to find the best balance but you'll get there.

And then there are lots of variables that also effect bg levels - illness, stress, exercise, weather ect. That's what makes it so challenging. Hang in there you are doing great!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #341
Junior LCF Member

Dogman: Your brownies are a hit with hubby, I've made them three times already! Personally I will have to be off sugar for much longer before they appeal to me. LOL They seem to get better each time I make them.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #342
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Sounds like the meds just need to be titrated down to match his carb level. It's a balancing act and takes some time to find the best balance but you'll get there.

And then there are lots of variables that also effect bg levels - illness, stress, exercise, weather ect. That's what makes it so challenging. Hang in there you are doing great!
Thanks shunsweets: He has been suffering with his sinuses of late. Ever since he cut the grass Friday or Sat. Or rather I should say cut the clover.

I really appreciate all the support here. Where is Dew????
Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Hey PJ great to hear that hubby liked the brownies. I've been experimenting in the kitchen last night and made a hybrid batch of brownies with almond flour, swiss miss and coconut milk. Also added a swirl of cream cheese into it. Yummy
OMG you made them 3 times already !!!! Yes, you're right they get better as you get more practice.
Not doubt hubby's body is going through some adjustments and you'll learn more about regulating "things" has time progresses. It takes time...
You probably do this already but just in case you don't you should make a written record of everything hubby eats . That's what I did for the first 3 months when I went LC. That way you don't rely on fuzzy memory. When a problem develops especially in the early stages,you're better able to find the problem(s).
OK that's it for now and back to the kitchen....

Last edited by dogman; 03-22-2011 at 11:11 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #344
Junior LCF Member

I don't keep a food journal.....great idea. Probably because of finances our pantry is pretty boring right now. My son came in this past weekend and I sent him away with all the carb laden foods in our pantry. He was excited. He weighs about 120# soaking wet. LOL He's a pretty healthy eater, most of my children are as they see the danger diabetes can have on a person. The dietican just kind of blew my confidence yesterday, even though she looked about 20.....didn't I know everything then too?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #345
Junior LCF Member

Does anyone know if there are downloadable food journal charts??? I downloaded Dr. B's glucograff sheets, but I seem to remember that I saw a food journal chart also. I can't even find the glucograff online now. sigh.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

I use ******.com to log foods. I bought the program and now that I'm used to it it is quick and simple. There are probably apps if you have an ipad.

Dogman please share your new recipe once your "experimenting" is complete! Can't wait!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:09 AM   #347
Senior LCF Member

Will do shunsweets I'll get it out in a day or two.

PJ sometime the KISS principle works the best. A simple little note pad for your journal is all you really need. I know you know this stuff but I believe it's extremely important. Also extremely important is to add dates and time .
Which reminded me of a book which made a big influence on my life called " Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It " by Henriette Anne Klauser , very inspirational...
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #348
Junior LCF Member

Good advice Dogman, simple works best for me. I weighed two pounds less this morning! The doc told Tom to stop taking his Onglyza and see what happens. If it goes over 140 for more than two days, start taking it again, and stop taking one of the other two. He told us he trusts us to be diligent. Yeah us! He didn't ask us any thing about carbs so we did not volunteer the info. That means that he is off Avandia ($300) and hopefully Onglyza($120 w/ $100 off coupon). Which leaves only his generic meds which he gets for $12 for a 90 day supply! Praise the Lord!!!! I thank God that we found Dr. Bernstein's book. Now to deal with all the naysayers.....
Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #349
Senior LCF Member

PJ ,That's so great to hear about Tom and your progress. I'm usually reserved about talking about religious topics. But I sincerely believe like you, if you ask for the Creator's guidance he'll allow you to find the answers.

Last edited by dogman; 03-23-2011 at 09:53 AM..
Old 03-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #350
Junior LCF Member

I am experiencing technical difficulty. My computer seems to be possessed! Anyhow....bs went up to 196 after breakfast, so he's going to continue taking Onglyza and try to get off Glypaside.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #351
Junior LCF Member

I had to do a "restore" on my computer because although it would let me on the web, etc, it would not let me type anything. Everytime I would hit the key my web page would dissapear! Looks like everyone's busy today. I'll check in tomorrow! You guys have a great night.
Jane
Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Computers can be so frustrating! My family is determined to drag me in to the higher tech stuff hence my last 3 gifts have been a phone, a kindle, and an iPad. Have to admit I now love them all.

Trying to cut my protein levels a bit this coming week. I have been over doing protein and calories. Always struggling, constant vigilance - will this ever come naturally to me as so many others report?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #353
Junior LCF Member

Shunsweets: I hear you! The only technology I hate is cell phones. I can never understand what people are saying and after you ask them to repeat themselves twice....you just pretend to know what they're saying. LOL We got rid of our landline....and not a day goes by that I don't miss it. I think if it was up to me I'd turn my cell phone in, or get one that you can only use for emergencys and have my land line back. Besides although I am registered with do not call, I get stupid telemarketing calls daily plus text messages also. AHHHHH
However....my computer.....I usually love it although without the internet it's just useless to me. I recieved a Kindle for Christmas from my oldest son and truely don't know how I ever lived without one. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. My youngest son was in last weekend and showed me how to see the page numbers with that new upgrade Kindle recently got. Can't reccomend them enough.

Well....Tom is still struggling with the right mix of meds. And he's lost another four pounds. I hate him. LOL

I don't remember who posted the recipe for the mock breadpudding, but it was a big hit with me. Now don't get me wrong....I live in South Louisiana....I KNOW what bread pudding is suppossed to taste like. My brother is a chef and makes several different kinds and I used to drive 20 miles out of my way just to get some of his. This is not that. But.....it sure hits the sweet spot for me.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #354
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Hey Ya'll

I went to the beach for a few days. Delightful! I did okay. The people we stayed with were so worried that I wasn't eating enough. Though they are both diabetic as is my BFF, they don't mind their carbs. I did eat some unsweetened homemade applesauce and strawberry sauce with my Greek yogurt which they thought was gross.

I'm the only one that isn't on medication and has super good readings. So there you go.

I bought a new fridge today, the uber fancy one. Guess it's my last fridge so I'll go out in style. The 7 also 8 yr. old was showing bad signs of age. It's only money right!

I haven't been getting updates so I'll have to sign up for replies again. I wonder why that happened.

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Oh excuse me for bragging NOT!

Since last year and getting back on the plan I have lost 68 lbs w/o anymore effort than avoiding 'bad' carbs and staying as close as (this) humanly possibly to Dr. B's plan.

Kudos, cheers and blessings to Dr. B! I adore that guy!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #356
Senior LCF Member

This just in!

I have been browsing the 'list' and getting all pumped up. I found a post that suggested Dr. Michael Dansinger as someone similar to what Dr. Bernstein says. I have put the link to his blog on this. If this isn't allowed . . . I'll send it to you or google him. Wowzer! Great stuff.

Now dogman, Darlink! I have made (finally) breadless bread pudding. It smells delicious but it's just out of the oven. I want to refrigerate it overnight. Results in the AM. It'll be for breakfast. I added chocolate DaVinci syrup and a bit of cayenne to make it a bit risqué. We shall see.

Sunday with time on my hands!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #357
Junior LCF Member

So glad to see you back dewdrop....been missing you. I agree that the mock bread pudding smells divine. I think it tasted great also. How was your birthday??? I'll go check out that doc you're talking about.
Jane
Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 AM   #358
Senior LCF Member

"Now dogman, Darlink! I have made (finally) breadless bread pudding. It smells delicious but it's just out of the oven. I want to refrigerate it overnight. Results in the AM. It'll be for breakfast. I added chocolate DaVinci syrup and a bit of cayenne to make it a bit risqué. We shall see."

great job on the weight loss too.

Dewdrop, It's a slippery slop from now on, you'll be eating the stuff from breakfast and ...and ... Just smells sooo good. I like a strawberry cut into 4 pieces and some whipped cream. Whoa

Diet? What diet !

I'm now at 15% body fat. Thanks to Dr. B

I'll be rolling out my "Dogman Brownies" recipe in the very near future. I really like it ...(oink )

Last edited by dogman; 03-28-2011 at 07:01 AM..
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #359
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the link Dewdrop I'm off to check out the site.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Breakfast pudding !

Oops! That pudding is killer. It's got a texture similar to cheesecake and is divine. I indulged for breakfast with my bit of pineapple (good for healing). I am finally strong enough NOT to drink the juice of the pineapple, always my favorite part . . . say SUGAR, it's an addictive substance for sure.

It didn't take on the chocolate or cayenne flavor so I must have gone too lite. It is extremely yummy. I want to try using my Lemon Da Vinci syrup next time. I do love lemon.

Off to a board meeting then, if it's Monday; it's time to make the calls to fill the week. I hope to put my grandson to work getting dirty with me. It's not raining now but it has been constant for the whole month. That's why it's so magnificently green here.

Found a man who is founding a Veteran's Outreach program here in Vancouver. He was buying a fridge when I was. It sounds wonderful - can't wait till we can hook up the link.