Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Bernstein Webcast and conference call 2/23 7PM CST

Join the Ask Dr. Bernstein Webcast and conference call on Wednesday Feb. 23, 2010 at 7PM CST, 8PM EST and 5PM West Coast Time.

The first 2 topics to be discussed will be, updated info on Pancreatitis and the truth about a new drug, Cycloset. Then Dr. Bernstein will answer your questions.

Please Ask Dr. Bernstein Your Questions NOW! By emailing us at info@diabetes911.net or by going to www.diabetes911.net and click on the banner “Ask Dr. Bernstein” and register for the webcast.

You can listen live by phone by dialing (323) 476-3672 on Wed. Feb. 23rd (Backup # 1-520-917-7107). Enter Conference ID: 900326#, or go to the link below to listen to the webcast. For Local Numbers go to: Instant Teleseminar Local #s

To attend, visit: http://cdset.c.topica.com/maaozpSab2OzCaTVIEFbaeQyvr/
Don’t forget to click on VIEW SLIDES and get Blow-OuT! Prices for Dr. Bernstein’s materials.

You can now use skype to listen in: Join The Conference Via Skype , which will guide you through getting onto the conference line. Basically, you will need to enter the skype id "joinconference", then bring up the dial pad to enter the conference id, 900326#

Visit Dr. Bernstein’s website with all of the calls and transcripts of the calls are available at www.TheBernsteinConnection.com

If you would like to purchase Dr. Bernstein’s books or CD’s just go to Diet diabetes diet and Diabetes Solution Dr Richard Bernstein author of diabetes diet and diabetes solution for special pricing.

Please send me your questions!!!! info@diabetes911.net

Thank you,
Richard K. Bernstein, MD
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Oh my! Where is everyone?

Hi Ya'll,

I have been healing and have started volunteering again. I am feeling great and my BG are mostly just fine. I want to stay motivated to follow Dr. B's plan but it's difficult when my contact with the 'real world' (LOL) involves people who eat indiscriminately.

I'm in a rut with my meals. I adore PB or Cream Cheese and celery, pork chops, chicken and my son can fix a steak but I always seem to overcook . . . I definitely look for prime rib when I eat out. I have a potluck on Saturday. There is never anything acceptable there so I'll probably just pack a snack and watch my people eat. Sigh!

Where are you, my people?

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Hey dewdrop, I was away for a while, went to Florida to visit Mom.
Sounds like you're in a rut of sorts.
When my wife laments about some delicious breads and pasties I ask her if it's worth the price of toes or a leg. If people want to eat indiscriminately they're taking a real gamble with their health, I think . Heck, I recently made myself some brownies the other day with almond flour and even included a swirl of cream cheese in it. Talk about elegance and decadence all in one.
I recently bought a pressure cooker and that's getting a work out too. Maybe you could try something like that for your steak . Just an idea.
I've been eating Dr.B's Coleslaw recipe almost every day with loads of finely chopped parsley. Mashed cauliflower is to me darn good and very easy to make. IMO there are so many things to eat there's really no good reason to eat the same old boring foods.
For me I find books related to LC subject, they're motivating and give me ideas.
I hope I never go back to my old SAD way of eating .

Last edited by dogman; 03-03-2011 at 12:11 PM..
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Hi Dewdrop! Dogman!

I have been away too, and just caught up in stuff. I get in a rut sometimes myself regarding food and recipes, exercise. If I can work up the energy to try something new or tweak something old it can make a world of difference. I think it's a mood thing. Spring fever!

Right now I am soaking some raw cashews, to make a cashew cream. I remember reading about someone doing that in an old vegetarian book and it sounded delicious. I cannot eat beans, but I can eat nuts, even peanuts since they're higher in fat. When soaked or cooked, they taste much like a bean. I can only eat 1/4 c. or so though. Good in a salad. With seeds too, like pumpkin or sunflower, pine nuts. Trying to keep it interesting, lol!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I'm still here too folks. Just not a lot to say. Sticking with Bernstein or lower carb levels is the only thing that keeps my bg's below 140 and dogman you are right I want to die with all my toes so I'll keep Bersteining!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Almond Flour

Hey dogman,

I can't find that Bread Pudding recipe and I was sure you posted it. Sigh! My brain is beginning to function much better. How is Mrs. dogman doing? I like to take bags of preshredded cabbage and steam it ever so lightly and it has a very sweet, nutty taste. Oh yeah! Caulifatatoes! It's the first LC recipe I learned from this site.

BG this AM 101. I have the sunrise syndrome too so I am very happy. I scorched and then baked a pork chop last night. YUM!

I am on a new psych med and it seems to be helping my two major brain farts. I am always amazed at what the kidz tell me I said, did and what I didn't comprehend (or is it retain) that they've told me several times.

Just 378 days to real retirement instead of disability retirement. My pain was helped by my recent rearrangement but he will go back next year and make another adjustment (just what I wanted to hear.)

Rut! I am happy to be in a rut. I lived my life thinking I never wanted to be in a rut - not realizing I was a drama queen in denial. Routine and sanity is sooo good for my soul.

With 50+ lbs gone, I have spent the day with my daughter and youngest g-daughter clearing my closet of the 'big' ones. I got them to get the 'small' ones out of the studio and I can wear most of them. A few more lbs for the 'smallest'. That can really motivate a gurl! They are coming in tomorrow too. They live about 45 minutes away.

I can only say hallelujah for Dr. B and Low-carb. I'm looking thru my low-carb cookbooks. Some are just plain disappointing - the ones that include the whole grain thingy. The desserts are not for diabetics. It's as bad as the cookbooks written for the civilian diabetics (ah, me old military mind!)

girondet, I'm trying to make a satisfying LC peanut sauce (my favorite on summer rolls) but so far it's a bit weak. I guess I should look thru the recipe section. How much cashew cream could we use? Aren't cashews the carb-iest nuts?

shunsweets, I just need to keep hearing that others are doing well. The civilian (there I go again) diabetics I know, eat junk and take meds and don't see the sense in changing. They see me as doing something drastic though they see and comment positively on my results.

Well this is a book so I better shut up! And get on with my sorting.

Hurray for fingers and toes
My legs and my nose
TG for the hair
That's left up there
I hope it don't roam
But I won't need it when I go home.
(© Written by a person not of this world - me.)
Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Oh dewdrop you're so funny.The Breadless bread pudding is on post 196 ( ON PAGE 7) and like I always like to say , even a trained monkey can make it.
Thanks for asking about the Mrs. dogman.She really made real progress in less than a year. We started this life style around last April. She really doesn't want me to tell people that she's lost over 50 pounds . Ooops did I say that ? Whenever we're a "five guys" getting a hamburger (throw the bun away)I remind her that the weight she lost is like one of the sack of potatoes they have around the place for display.She can lift it but it's a real reminder of what she had weighing her down. ( Blinking her eyes in disbelief.)

shunsweets, hee hee. Yes and I like my toes right where they're at , thank you.
Mrs. Dogman knows a woman who lost her toes first and later had a leg amputated at the knee . Too sad and freightening for me to even want to think more about.

Hi to you also girondet. Hummm cashew cream? Do you mash them up to make a paste? It's got me thinking

Last edited by dogman; 03-03-2011 at 07:31 PM..
Old 03-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Diabetes and Coffee

I found this on Yahoo:
It (coffee) diverts diabetes: Those antioxidants (chlorogenic acid and quinides, specifically) play another role: boosting your cells’ sensitivity to insulin, which helps regulate blood sugar. In fact, people who drink 4 or more cups of coffee each day may have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to some studies. Other studies have shown that caffeine can blunt the insulin-sensitivity boost, so if you do drink several cups a day, try mixing in decaf occasionally.

The link is Yahoo Shine

Dogman, I have mine arranged differently. I have newest posts first. It did help to know that it was post 196! Yay! Now I'll try it.

dewster
Old 03-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

dewster, (That your new name ?)
I'm a sucker for coffee but sometimes I think I over DDDDDDDDDDDDDo it. That's the jitters affecting me.
Sometimes I ask myself when I see some kind of study like this is , who sponsored the study. Maybe the coffee company promoting it ?
Something I know about coffee is that it makes my P's pH very low. I'll keep having my daily fix but but the most part 1 or 2 cups max.
Just my 2 cents .................................................. ..............................
Old 03-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #310
Senior LCF Member

doggone gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
dewster, (That your new name ?)
I'm a sucker for coffee but sometimes I think I over DDDDDDDDDDDDDo it. That's the jitters affecting me.
Sometimes I ask myself when I see some kind of study like this is , who sponsored the study. Maybe the coffee company promoting it ?
Something I know about coffee is that it makes my P's pH very low. I'll keep having my daily fix but but the most part 1 or 2 cups max.
Just my 2 cents .................................................. ..............................
That's what the study recommended in the end methinks . . .

re: new name - I call myself doo-dew sometimes too!
I'm still losing weight and I think my new psych med is finally doing something good for me. Only trouble I see (my eternal pessimism) is that I say, "If it seems too good to be true; it is too good to be true!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

Aw coffee my best friend for getting through a work day. 2 huge mugs every morning. Haven't noticed any effects on bgl but sure helps me get going in the morning. I'm sure their are studies both pro and con so I'll just listen to the pro ones. Coffee is not negotiable - it's staying.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Don't know how I'd make it without coffee either, lol! And I drink lots of black tea too.

I used my soft marinated cashews in a salad as sort of a bean, just a few at a time because cashews are carby nuts. After soaking them in water for about 12 hours, I marinated them in oil and vinegar for a while. I'll bet this would work with any nut.
So if you miss beans....oh, and I just remembered that here in the south we do eat boiled peanuts, and they are good! Bean or potato like and can hit the spot if you miss starches sometimes. I don't make them myself because it takes so many hours on simmer. Although with a crock pot....hmmmm........I may try it again. They are sold in markets, certain food and gas marts, even sometimes on street corners at certain times of year. I only eat about 1/4 to 1/2 c at a time. At most.

I still want to make cashew cream too, but have been away a lot lately and lazy when I'm home or frenzied trying to get lots done. Or sick with colds and congestion. Typical spring. I guess I would mash the cashews in a food processor, I have a mini one, lol, and use whatever would make no more than 1/4c. of nuts. Maybe it can be mixed with whipped cream....

It's wonderful to see you back in your routine and seeming like you're doing very well Dew!!!

Congrats to your wife on her weight loss, Dogman. I know where she's coming from on not wanting people to know she lost that much....still, it's to be so proud of too!

I will try to do better on posting, as I have really missed you guys!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Thanks girondet for the congrats to Mrs. Dogman. Must she she looks more attractive ( hey I'm a dogman what can I say ) which could lead to a litter of pups. :blush::eek :

I think I came across a keeper recipe lately for brownies.
Tried it and liked it.

1 Stick of unsalted butter
2 packets of diet coco Swiss miss
about a heaping Tbs Cocoa powder (to the taste you like)
sweetener (Stevia) about a teaspoon for me.
Vanilla extract to taste
4 Egg whites
4 Egg yokes

Melt the butter in a double boiler then mix the egg yokes, dry ingredients, vanilla, and sweetener together.
Whip the egg whites to soft peaks then fold in the the butter mixture.
Next time I make this recipe I'm going to add a swirl of cream cheese flavored with vanilla. Not sure if I need to add baking powder on the next batch. Yes, of course grease the pan you're going to use...
Lastly, bake at 325-350 for about 30 min and check the with a knife to see if it's done.
I like to wash mine down with the 40Cal Almond milk from Blue Diamond Also low in carbs.
Diet ? What diet !
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #314
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PlainlyJane
Stats: 219/201/140
Start Date: 3/8/11
Hi all: My husband is T2, we have been on the Bernstein diet for about 8 days. His bs are much better although he has not been feeling well and last night had severe diarrhea. He woke up to BS of 144 and after a breakfast of 0 carbs it went up to 165. He is so discouraged. He has had Diabetes for about 21 years, and has recently recieved bad news from the eye doctor so we are commited. Any advice??? Oh.....update....2 hour bs, 118.
PlainlyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainlyJane View Post
Hi all: My husband is T2, we have been on the Bernstein diet for about 8 days. His bs are much better although he has not been feeling well and last night had severe diarrhea. He woke up to BS of 144 and after a breakfast of 0 carbs it went up to 165. He is so discouraged. He has had Diabetes for about 21 years, and has recently recieved bad news from the eye doctor so we are commited. Any advice??? Oh.....update....2 hour bs, 118.
Jane, have him take his BG before and after every meal. Sometimes you can find Doc books at the library. I own both. He recommends taking the BGs more often than I do. I am T2 and have been on insulin in the past. Zero carbs? Not sure that is even recommended. Is he getting on the scale? Does he smoke?

I worked for Philip Morris USA and you would never imagine how much sugar is on those little cigarettes. I worked in the QC lab and then the Waste Management sector. Yikes! Ditch the cigarettes.

High morning sugars are common and called the sunrise or dawn syndrome. He isn't in an extremely dangerous range. BGs should be within 90 to 120. Dr. B states that anything over 120 is permanently damaging your body.

For diarrhea I would say take a fiber tablet. It's probably only temporary. What were his BGs the rest of the week?

I guess I'm asking more questions than giving answers.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #316
Junior LCF Member

ok.....we have both books....normally he has 6g carbs for breakfast, this morning he had bacon (o carbs) and two eggs (o carbs), coffee with heavy cream (o carbs)....perhaps there were hidden carbs? No he does not smoke.....or drink. He has been drinking lots of iced tea of late sweetened with the liquid sweet and low. His sugars were always in the over 200 range before this woe, sometimes in the 300's. So, we know it's better....he just feels like he should feel better and have NO spikes at all. He is testing about 5/6 times a day since he started eating this way. We do feel more in control....last week he visited his parents who fed him BBQ chicken and although he turned down the ricedressing his BS spiked to 275. He learned the hard way that not all BBQ sauce is created equal.
Thanks for answering....I think we're going to need some help along the way.
Jane
Old 03-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Well now!

Quote:
ok.....we have both books....normally he has 6g carbs for breakfast, this morning he had bacon (o carbs) and two eggs (o carbs), coffee with heavy cream (o carbs)....perhaps there were hidden carbs? No he does not smoke.....or drink. He has been drinking lots of iced tea of late sweetened with the liquid sweet and low. His sugars were always in the over 200 range before this woe, sometimes in the 300's. So, we know it's better....he just feels like he should feel better and have NO spikes at all. He is testing about 5/6 times a day since he started eating this way. We do feel more in control....last week he visited his parents who fed him BBQ chicken and although he turned down the ricedressing his BS spiked to 275. He learned the hard way that not all BBQ sauce is created equal.
Thanks for answering....I think we're going to need some help along the way.
Jane
Hey Jane, I did forget to ask if he is still on a BG lowering med. Is he? I don't think it's anything he ate that made him spike. Maybe he could test other artificial sweeteners. I can't do aspartame. I do okay on Splenda (sucralose) and definitely the sugar alcohols make me bonkers.

The Bernstein way is a miracle for us, both 1 and 2s. It may take time. Is his diabetes provider on board with Bernstein? I know that the VA (where I get my care) has the SAD diet for everyone. I even have malabsorbtion issues and I have to be careful when I am hospitalized and have food snuck in for me.

I'm here to be encouraged by the others to stay with the program. It's difficult to eat so differently from the rest of the world. They just don't get it. You are always welcome here!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #318
Junior LCF Member

Unfortunately we have free care at the local University Medical Center. I say unfortunately because that basically means we're on our own. You can't call there and say "Hey I'm having this problem, can the doc call me back?" It just doesn't happen. They take your A1C's....tell you if you don't bring your BS's down you'll be put on insulin....tell you to eat the ADA way.....whatever. My husband's dad is diabetic, his Uncle(paternal) has had diabetes for most of his 64 years....and has most of the complications...in fact I donated a kidney to him about 8 years ago. He suffers from neuropathy in his feet along with gout that just about drives him bonkers. So, we know what we MUST do.
BTW, my husband cannot go on insulin without changing his career. He is an owner/operator CDL truck driver. 18 wheeler. He would lose his CDL if he goes on insulin, so to say he's motivated is putting it mildly.

Oh....I forgot too...here are the med's he is currently on.
Glipizide 10mg 1-2X daily
Meftormin 1000 mg 1-2X daily
Onglyza 5mg 1 daily

Metoprolol tartrate 50 mg 1 2X daily (heart)
Ranitidine 150 mg 1 2X daily (stomach acid)
metoclopramide 10mg (acid reflux)

Lexpro 20 mg 1 daily

Lisinopril 5mg 1 daily (High Blood Pressure)

He did a full blood workup about two weeks ago at UMC....we have not recieved any news or new appointments.

Here are his Blood Sugar reading for the past eight days
3/8/11: Morn B/M 123 After meal 185 Before dinner one hour after Before bed
3/9/11 235 170
3/10/11: 153 283
3/11/11 82 97
3/12/11 119 110
3/13/11 97 89
3/14/11 121 134 105 71 79
3/15/11 144 164

Last edited by PlainlyJane; 03-15-2011 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: adding information
Old 03-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jane,

Welcome!! I can't address type 2 or the meds and their effects but did want to say that if your husband was eating lots more carbs before, as I was before the Bernstein diet, there can be an adjustment period for the body. I had nausea and light headedness. It did pass though. Maybe it's a bit similar to the Atkins flu that some people in this forum complain about when they go on Atkins induction.

It's great to see you here. Your husband is lucky to have you in his corner!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #320
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome. I would have to say yes, he was eating much more carbs than the 30 daily he now eats. I don't find he had much energy BEFORE the low carbs...but he did have the huge swings from 98-312, sometimes daily. His thing was sweets. He had basically given up rice, bread, etc. However I would find candy wrappers and pecan pies from the danish section in his truck. Now with the testing done so much during the day he cannot cheat. I love it. Plus he feels like there is reason to the madness. Before reading Dr B.....we just didn't really know what we were aiming for. It just feels like "THIS IS IT". I think we have found what works....we just have to get through the learning curve.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #321
Senior LCF Member

My Friend Bill says Keep on Keeping on

Hey Jane, When I was first put on insulin, my BG was over 500. An insulin drip at the hospital got me back to normal.

Seems like he is spiking at times . . . a food journal would help. I know, bummer. But perhaps he could identify the culprit. And don't let him come after me but 'does he cheat?' I know I do. dogman says don't call it cheating. I cheat. Sigh! Don't be insulted please, I only say it because I am a cheater.

Would you believe our dogman isn't even diabetic but the Bernstein book impressed him so much he decided to go uber low carb, Mrs. dogman does it too! I'll let him tell you his story.

I've had weight loss bypass surgery. Not the typical RNY but the DS/BPD. That means I malabsorb calcium and Vitamin D. Being from the Pacific NW it is difficult to get my D from the sun. I take a handful of Vitamins several times a day. (Doctor's orders). I take BP med, rantidine, a psych drug and two antibiotics prophylactically. I also take clonezapam and benadryl.

I am 61 tomorrow, though I claim to be only 27 I have no major diabetic neuropathies TG!

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. I would have to say yes, he was eating much more carbs than the 30 daily he now eats. I don't find he had much energy BEFORE the low carbs...but he did have the huge swings from 98-312, sometimes daily. His thing was sweets. He had basically given up rice, bread, etc. However I would find candy wrappers and pecan pies from the danish section in his truck. Now with the testing done so much during the day he cannot cheat. I love it. Plus he feels like there is reason to the madness. Before reading Dr B.....we just didn't really know what we were aiming for. It just feels like "THIS IS IT". I think we have found what works....we just have to get through the learning curve.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #322
Junior LCF Member

Ha, I guess I mean "hidden cheating". He would make a big deal if people offered him something sweet, telling them he couldn't because he was diabetic. Then I would find the evidence of sweet binging in his truck when I cleaned it. I know it's hard for him driving for long periods of time....always in a hurry. They never call and say "Take your time, we're not in a hurry for that piece of equipment". They always want it "yesterday." I know also that truck stops are not low carb havens, quite the opposite. So I'm making sure his truck is stocked with stuff he can eat, and I told him if he has to, order a burger and toss the bun. Truck stops have SubWay's. so I told him to order a salad with everything lc that he likes on it. I think he'll be fine. He wants to save his eyesight, and knowing that he can reverse the damage is a fine motivation.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #323
Junior LCF Member

Dew: I had to look up "prophylactically". Sorry.....I was like "She's doing what with prophylactics?
May I be the first to wish you a very Happy Birthday. I pray that this is the year that all your wishes come true!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

PlainlyJane, Welcome to the Bersteinians.(dewdrop invented that term)
I wish you and your husband only success in the coming months. Please keep us posted.

Oh Dewdrop your so gracious. Yes, Dr.B advise helped me with knocking my triglycerides down from and all time high in the 700's to 75, and raising my HDL from 40 to 51. And that was done by only following LC not with meds. Before then, I was probably getting very close to being officially diabetic. Dewdrop started a thread a while ago asking people how they come to finding it give more detail on how I got "here".
BTW since the time I began LC I reduced my weight by 26 lbs without effort and lowered my body fat % to 17% at last check. But the icing (no sugar ) on the cake is my wife (best friend) lost and continues to make measurable progress with reducing her weight.
Even my 30 year old son reduced his weight by more than 25 lbs.
Not bad I'd say ....

PlainJane, did you mention if your husband is over weight?

Dewdrop, best wishes in hopes that you're here for another 100 years Geez I thought you were still a teenager!

Last edited by dogman; 03-16-2011 at 07:26 AM..
Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #325
Junior LCF Member

Hi Dogman: No I did not mention it. He is 5'9" and weighs 198#. He wants to lose about 30#. His weight is only in his stomach, so we hope that once he loses that he can cut down or perhaps even eleminate his diabetic meds.
I however am obese.....a word which has been bandied about since a doc in Chicago mentioned to me (about 20# ago) the dangers of obesity. I must admit I felt like he had slapped me in the face! Now.....sigh. I am 5'7" and usually weigh between 217-220. However this morning I weighed 210! What a happy surprise. I am pretty active and could never seem to drop more than a few pounds. I am 50, and have been experiencing perimenopausal symptoms for about eight years. Recently hot flashes have begun to drive me bonkers. So.....I'm excited!!! I should mention that Tommie has lost about 35 pounds during the last six months, before the LC plan. I think he probably has lost a few more during the last week, but unlike me he only weighs once a week.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #326
Senior LCF Member

PlainlyJane, I'm 5'9" and at my highest weight I was 196 now I'm only vary a pound or two from 170. I've been stable at that weight for a least six of more months. No Doubt your husband will lose weight when his WOE is what's advocated by Dr.B. It worked for me first-hand and others. Yes, women do seem to have a slower weight loss but it's progress in the right direction for sure.
Get this, my now former Dr. said I was over weight at my last check. What a maroon...
She was making her assumption on BMI which had me at about 25.3 . Since I regularly workout my body fat percentage has been going lower...
Time for a change in doctors and I've made an appointment with a doctor who's more in tune with fitness.
PlainlyJane, Mrs. Dogman is going through the same dog womanly problems as you are. She feels your pain...But hey you're making progress, right?

Last edited by dogman; 03-16-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #327
Junior LCF Member

Yes Exactly Right!!!
Update: He weighed this morning.......194.6#

I just read your Brownie Recipe Dogman......How many would that make and how many carbs per serving???? I have no sugar Swiss Miss in the house but it says 10carbs.....is that the one???? He would be so excited if I could make him some!
Jane
Old 03-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #328
Senior LCF Member

The Swiss Miss I use is 4 carbs a packet I think it says low cal. Last night I calculated it and the total amount for the whole was around 10 carbs ! That's hardly anything to even consider per piece. For me I get 16 squares. I must say they are very light so you may end up eating 3 . Like I said previously, the next time I make them I'm going to add a good swirl of cream cheese in the batch.

PlainlyJane, About the weight loss, I'd bet that things will only get better...
Old 03-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #329
Senior LCF Member

PlainlyJane, OK I just just checked, and the Swiss Miss I use for the dogman's brownies is the "Diet" one and indeed it has 4 carbs minus 1/2 for fiber which leaves you with 3.5 Carbs per packet.

Incidentally, that's what I use if I want a hot cocoa drink.

BTW what is a prophoelastic anyway?

Last edited by dogman; 03-16-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome PlainlyJane. Hang in there. Berstein works for me. My bgs were regularly over 200 prior to the diet but are now almost always under 140 after meals unless I eat something dumb (or cheat as dewdrop says LOL). The cravings for sweets do get less with time but for me they have not gone away. I try to find subs and will surely be trying Dogman's brownies.

Good luck to you and your husband.