Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Dogman, I know it's hard to keep track of who, what, which on this forum.

It is quite easy, if one wishes, to eat fewer than 15 carbs a day. There are thousands who stay at those very low levels, due to serious illnesses. What one considers impracticable, another keeps as a way of daily living. I usually eat in the range of 14-18.

If one eats very little plant matter, which many do, it is easy to stay under 10. There are many on ketogenic diets for serious health conditions, such as epilepsy, MS, Alzheimer's, and for migraines, PCOS, etc., who stay at lower than 30. There are tens of thousands of people who eat traditional diets, and live in ways very different from modern Western culture, who eat animal food: meat, blood, milk, and a few bitter herbs, for example.

I have looked on Pubmed, but have not found the sorts of clinical trial reports I wish to read.

I also read posts, on various forums, by those who eat no plant matter nor cream, and those people are quite pleased with the results. Liver, egg yolks, and cream have a few carbs, and some alternate the days of intake. There are many at IBC/Crohn's forums who eat no dairy except ghee, and very little plant matter, and of course, no fructose, grains or PUFAs.

It is the nature of scientific thought to question assumptions, and to explore possibilities. The questions lead to better science and useful inventions.

Some enjoy more science, others less.

If I find out something which could be useful to others in keeping healthy, I'll post it.

Best wishes to all.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-20-2011 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: clarification
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Auntie Em, I've got to respect you for your diligence and what I really like is that you want to "question assumptions, and to explore possibilities" ,"The questions lead to better science and useful inventions" What's really great is "If I find out something which could be useful to others in keeping healthy, I'll post it."

Thank you very much for adding so much to a great site.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Hi Dogman, I finally made the bread pudding and loved it! How does it get that bread-like consistency?! Definitely something I'll make again and again! The hard part is just waiting for it to cook....lol!

Welcome back FourStubbs! I missed you! Congratulations on a wonderful weight loss accomplishment.....I'm still right where I was....but I'm happy I can stay at this weight without much trouble....still, I haven't given up on losing a bit more....just working up some inspiration! I mostly do not feel that I am dieting.

Hi Dew! I hope you're continuing to improve and feeling better all the time. Keep us informed!

Hi Shunsweets! Hi Auntie Em! I did not know until fairly recently, maybe the last year or so, that people are living healthily and happily with much lower carbs than Atkins induction 20 g, even zero carbs! It has always been my opinion that Dr. B. and probably just about everyone would eat as many carbs as they can get away with, for the taste and vitamins and fiber. LOL. I see it is not necessarily so. Interesting, and thanks for the information and web links you provide.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, thank you for your kind thoughts.

Hi, Girondet. I have read in a couple of interviews that Dr. B sometimes eats fewer than 30 carbs per day. In one interview he said that'd he'd had a late breakfast, and wouldn't eat lunch, as his insulin covers his blood sugar. It is interesting that there is such a wide variety of carb intake. Dr. B makes such a strong case for not going over 30. All I could find in his book, The Diabetes Diet, on eating fewer, is that not many people would be willing to eat fewer than 30, (on page 112). I have yet to check his main book again.

I am really looking forward to listening to Dr. B.. I am grateful that his talks are left online for awhile, as the broadcast time is a bit late for me. I like to listen to the recording a couple of times, and take notes.

Best wishes to all.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
I found some huge shrimp and scallops at my grocer . . . they usually just have the medium shrimp and tiny scallops. I took 4 scallops and 4 shrimp and made a meal of them. Yum! I see my surgeon tomorrow and will see if I can start riding my recumbment bike. My back still hurts and I'm not ready to go off Oxy but between my recent weight loss (40#) and being laid up from surgery. I did get well rested. I helped my son in the front yard yesterday and with two other projects. Now I'm paying. I also have a very nasty cold. WARNING: Do not lick your computer screen. I might spread my virus.

Off topic Johnny Mathis is here on February 14th. I won't get to go but I adore his voice. Sigh!

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

girondet, you say," How does it get that bread-like consistency?! " Sure is neat though isn't it ? What's nice also, is, it's adaptable to what you want with it. I even like to add a drizzle of "pancake" sugar free DaVinci Syrup. I also include some crushed walnuts. You can get crazy with this easy to make dessert and next thing you know you're eating it for breakfast...add some blueberries (blah,blah,blah)

Yep, dewdrop you're feelin better I can tell.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
You do sound good DEW...I love shrimp and scallops too...

Dogman, I have been eating the bread pudding for breakfast sometimes; one of my favorite times for a sweet thing. Those are good suggestions for variation.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member

I've been doing a lot of reading lately especially since Auntie Em mentioned the subject of ketogenic. This led me to who knows how to a book called "Dangerous Grains", very interesting reading to say the least. That brought another interesting subject that of Celiac Disease. I'm really becoming much more aware of the serious health concerns involved with consuming gluten containing foods. Are others who are on Dr.B's WOE trying to avoid gluten?
Since many of us are probably eating very little gains because of carbs, I'm wondering if we may be inadvertently putting ourselves less at risk for getting Celiac Disease...
Has anyone else been thinking along this line?

girondet, great to hear you're liking the breadless bread pudding. I love the stuff !
If possible I'd dive into a pool of it...

Last edited by dogman; 01-30-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, have you had a chance to read Dr. Kurt Harris' blog, PaleoNu? He explains why eating grains is damaging, not only for those with celiac. I combined Dr. Bernstein's WOE with Dr. Harris' recommendations. I find they fit very nicely together. Dr. Harris' recommending reading Dr. B's book was what got me started on Dr. B's plan.

I have many links to other information related to this in this thread.

You might find Stephan Guyenet's post on how eating grains can cause damage in those who do not have celiac, of interest.

Here is one of the reports at PubMed of studies, if you are interested in reading clinical trial abstracts and full text reports.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-31-2011 at 03:53 AM..
Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Very interesting Auntie Em. I appreciate the great info you're passing on. I'm going to check into this further.
What really intrigues me is, about a 9 months ago my doctor said I had low platelets aka ,ITP idiopathic thrombocytopenia. And also I'd get a "rash" from sunlight exposure on my arms.
I happened to see those same problems maybe associated with gluten exposure/ celiac disease mentioned in the "Dangerous Grains" book. For me this warrants further investigation for sure.
Thanks a bunch Auntie Em...
Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Alike but so different . . .

I am opinionated but here goes. I actually believe that gluten 'works' for some people. Though we are very much alike - we are also very different in many ways. Eating seems to be one of them. Low fat might work for some, if they aren't going for no fat. High carb, probably as long as the carbs aren't the 'junk' of today. For sure no one needs tons of sugar or super-refined carbs.

Auntie Em, I'll read the blog, it does sound very interesting and motivational!

I'm still trying to get motivated and back on track. My doc is changing my blood pressure meds because I've been getting low at times. This is good and my BGs are under control. She just did an A1c but I haven't gotten the results yet.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #282
Senior LCF Member

What's for Dinner

I went grocery shopping today. I bought a little gadget that is supposed to microwave poached eggs. Well it does . . . very done by the directions. Less time didn't turn out evenly poached. It does make a quick substitute for a hard boiled egg for a salad. I just have to poach it in the AM and remember it for the salad at lunch. I do usually keep boiled eggs on hand.

Not an interesting dinner . . . a slow roasted steak and asparagus.

Whatcha' cookin' cuzins?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Hey dewdrop, if you really want to wallow in some good fat like I do. Try half an avocado a Tbsp of mayo and about 4 Tbsp of ACV , salt and pepper. Try some of that with your eggs that will perk things up...Soooo easy and soooo good.

Last edited by dogman; 02-01-2011 at 10:01 AM..
Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I'm having almond flour/protein powder pancakes for dinner. Couldn't face meat tonight.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

shunsweets, if you have almond flour try making some crackers too. If you need some inspiration a good book perhaps from your public library is called "The gluten-free almond flour cookbook : breakfasts, entrées, and more..." I made some the other night , they're very good by themselves or with an avocado dip.

While I was in San Diego a few weeks ago I had some shredded butternut squash raw. First time for me having it like that and now I have it at home regularly with some Italian dressing. Nice orange color too. Wondering if others have tried this .
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Dogman, haven't tried butternut squash raw before. Thanks for the idea. It sounds nice.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #287
Senior LCF Member

I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
While I was in San Diego a few weeks ago I had some shredded butternut squash raw. First time for me having it like that and now I have it at home regularly with some Italian dressing. Nice orange color too. Wondering if others have tried this .
Thanks Dogman, now I'll have to look for a butternut!

I'm going to set aside a day soon and go to Bob's Red Mill. I'll pick up some almond flour and see if I can find the energy to cook.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Never thought to try butternut squash raw. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the idea and the book recommendation dogman. I have been trying almond flour and my bg's seem to like it.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #289
Senior LCF Member

FYI skinning the butternut squash "animal" can be a challenge. Some supermarkets in my area have the skin peeled and halved for convenience. When I get mine ready to this point I then use a vegetable peeler that's designed to make thin little strips. I usually cut on the end of the "grain" so I get short lengths and not the whole length of the squash. Hope this make a little sense. I use Italian dressing for the dressing. It usually taste better the next day after it's soaked in a while.
I first tried this stuff at a Soup Plantation Restaurant in California.
Hope others like it too, probably loaded with vitamin A, I'd guess.
Ever see a rabbit wearing glasses ?

Last edited by dogman; 02-03-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Bob's Red Mill

I got there!

I had to get help to find the almond meal flour. It is refrigerated. She said it should be after it's open but they keep in the cooler. Wow! That place has changed since I was there, (early 90s maybe.) What a crowd! What a tourist trap. I was very disappointed in the cookbook section. No LC Cookbooks and the Diabetic selections were about, of all things, desserts. Not our kind of dessert mind you. Now to get to work on finding the time to cook but something.

Tonight I've already thawed a chicken hind-quarter that I'm going to bake. Yum! I did a big leftover steak salad for lunch. Almost back on track and I did drop a whole pound yesterday. Please remember that I have an altered digestive track. If I eat a lot of fat I malabsorb quickly whatever I ate. :blush:
Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Hey, dewdrop I find that the public library is a wealth of info especially for LCing. I found the Almond Flour book there in fact I loaned it out twice. Maybe the use of the library is passe for many people but I love and support it all the way.
BTW auntie em recently got me thinking alot about several things.One of the topics of interest to me was Celiac Disease. Dewdrop you mentioned digestive tract ? I sure don't want to sound like some nut case of a doctor but are you aware of gluten intolerance and digestion problems, just a thought ? Now, that I aware of its effects I'm very certain its had some negative effects on me and I'm actively looking for ways to eliminate ( as much as I can) from my food.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Digestion

Quote:
Hey, dewdrop I find that the public library is a wealth of info especially for LCing. One of the topics of interest to me was Celiac Disease. Dewdrop you mentioned digestive tract ? I sure don't want to sound like some nut case of a doctor but are you aware of gluten intolerance and digestion problems, just a thought ? Now, that I aware of its effects I'm very certain its had some negative effects on me and I'm actively looking for ways to eliminate ( as much as I can) from my food.
Hey Dogman, I adore the library. It's always my first choice. I keep forgetting that a brand new one was built just a few blocks from here.

My digestive problem is from a biliopancreatic duodenal switch. I malabsorb fat and protein and calicum and Vitamin D because of it. However the surgery also saved my life. At 358# something had to give. I had been injured in an accident. 4000# +/- struck me in the back at 4AM on Dec 17, 2000. I've never been the same. I was already diabetic but I gained uber amounts of weigh and had to go on insulin. My doc begged me to do the surgery which is now many surgeries including the recent (and pray no more) surgery. I am better. My old injuries the back and shoulder make me cry and oxycodone boosts my facade so the world doesn't normally see my pain.

I know I react to wheat. I can eat a sandwich and I need a nap. My son the same! It might be the gluten but since I already have enough diseases and conditions; I'll just thumb my nose at wheat TYVM.

I need to buzz the library online and then go pick up some treasures.

Thanks for the reminder.

AM BG was 115! Yay . . . no insulin today!
BP 125/57
(pain scale 1 to 10)
Back - 10+
Shoulder - 10+
Surgery wound - 5
Heart and Mind - centered and joyful

Bless you my friends!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Dew - I really admire your positive spirit with all the challenges you've faced.

Dogman is that almond flour cookbook by Elana Amsterdam? I just put it in my cart and want to be sure I'm looking at the right one!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Yes, shunsweets that's the book. Many of the recipes are very similar with only one minor difference. Also, the sweetener used is Agave but I use stevia.
If you want to save the expense of buying the book check your public library first and do like I do try the recipes you like and put them on recipe cards. Maybe old fashion technology but it works for me.

Went for blood work today and hoping that my Dr. visit next week will have good results as the last. My FBG was 87 so no problem there...

Dewdrop, keep-up the good work...

Last edited by dogman; 02-08-2011 at 08:42 AM..
Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

A1C Feb 2011

Wahoo!!! Just got my A1C results via mail . . . 5.2!

Amazing . . . I still have weight to lose and I could be more conscious of carbs but it proves to me that just making the effort is working.

Granddaughter and mate are here helping me around the house. The family room is starting to look amazing! I am trying to get rid of stuff!!! They are a lot harsher with me, than I am with myself. As in, "What in the world do you need that for?" But they aren't mean (both are 19).

Yay!

Back to doing some volunteering. It's sunny this afternoon and that is inspiring. The daffies are coming up and the moss is getting an Irish green on!

Hey BTW, low potassium . . . BP meds might be a problem but what else? I know bananas but they aren't low carb (insert cuss word!)
Old 02-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

dewdrop, your dah best, great job !!!!! I know you'll continue to do well ...
I'm still trying to dispose of unused thing in my life too. If you haven't used something in two years it's more then likely you won't use it in another tow years. "Things" and clutter put an emotional drain on our lives. Some even suggest that people predisposed to depression will make it worse by living in clutter.
Let us know how to get off the BP meds. I take the smallest dose and I don't like it one bit.I get the feeling I'm a cash cow. As long as the Dr. is prescribing something for you, you need to see them about every six months (for steady income).

Last edited by dogman; 02-09-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Long rambling

Quote:
dewdrop, your dah best, great job !!!!! I know you'll continue to do well ...

Let us know how to get off the BP meds. I take the smallest dose and I don't like it one bit. I get the feeling I'm a cash cow. As long as the Dr. is prescribing something for you, you need to see them about every six months (for steady income).
Hey dogman . . .

I started having high BP way back in my early 40s. I was probably 'pre-diabetic' but it wasn't addressed back then. No matter what med they put me on it just kept climbing. By the late 1990s I was told that I was 'pre-diabetic' and I had to lose weight. Still in denial of my invincibility (my family is full of diabetics), I continued on my path of 'junk' food abuse. Sugar had always been my 'drug' of choice and I had gained weight steadily since I turned 30. Sigh!

I was injured at work. 4000# in the back, yeah, that one . . . tremendous weight gain (to 358#). I was admitted to the hospital with a BG of 540ish and my BP was through the roof.

How to get off BP meds:
* I pulled my head out the sand.
* I had gastric bypass surgery.
* I gained a lot back from a very deep depression.
* I've lost a lot of weight again. (50+#)

Because of the weight loss, watching the junk (sodium and caffeine too), beginning to exercise and learning to enjoy food instead of inhaling it; I have been able to start having good labs. Can I keep it up? I am a chronic abuser. I fear going back to the stuff. Good news for me, I can't eat it anymore. I get ill quickly. If I have the strength - I tell food pushers that I can't eat that. For me, it's similiar to being an alcoholic (also rampant in my family.) I battle depression and anxiety too.

I don't have enough cholesterol in my body to have enough 'good' cholesterol. I can eat eggs, red meat or any other thing w/o getting bugged about my labs. I think there may be some credence to the "Blood Type Diet" theory. I am an "O" and low carb is what it prescribes for me.

Like I typed awhile back; we're all alike but we're all different. I am sure there are people who thrive on noodles . . . I don't like them. I sure don't like giving up fruit and, golly darn it, potatoes.

Remember Darling when you told me not to think of eating carbs as cheating but just to get back on track . . . so - so true! I am trying to make carbs that I do eat things like a small amount of sweet potato or squash, love those nuts. Say, I have to make something with almond flour!

re: cash cow - I'll take this opportunity to thank everyone who reads this for providing for us Veterans. I don't pay for health care and the VA in general is very good to me.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Dogman. Unfortunately my little local library doesn't carry cookbooks (or much else - sigh) but I'll just order it. I made some choc cookies that came out too good - I ate the whole batch!

Dewdrop - my sil had gastric bypass 6 months ago. She is struggling with carb cravings but has lost 110 pounds so far. It also cured her diabetes.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Cure diabetes? Can't be done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Thanks Dogman. Unfortunately my little local library doesn't carry cookbooks (or much else - sigh) but I'll just order it. I made some choc cookies that came out too good - I ate the whole batch!

Dewdrop - my sil had gastric bypass 6 months ago. She is struggling with carb cravings but has lost 110 pounds so far. It also cured her diabetes.
Hi shunsweets,

I would love to think that losing weight would cure my diabetes. It is w/o symptoms, but it is a systemic disease, meaning a person's system is affected for life. Once diabetic, always diabetic. When I lost my weight the first time and didn't have symptoms of diabetes . . . I got a whopping case of cellulitus in my left ear. I spent two weeks in the hospital on IV antibotics. RNY or like mine (DS) - diabetes cannot be cured. It is just symptomless.

Dr. B talks about possibilities for a future cure. Nothing has been found yet.

Also a gastric bypass is a tool. I know quite a few people who gain their weight back plus more like other tools that have helped them lose weight. The only thing I personally have found successful is low-carbing but I still test my sugars and will for life. BTW I will be 61 yrs-old soon. Weight up! - BGs up!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

You are correct Dew. I should have said put her diabetes in remission. Her blood sugars are totally normal. I suspect if she goes off her post surgery diet both her weight and bgs will start to rise. Although there is some belief that the surgery acts to block hormones in the intestine (kinda like byetta) so if that is true in her case she may have found a longterm treatment that works for her diabetes. She was insulin resistant not insulin deficient.

Best luck with your LC diet. It's the only thing that works for me too. Thankyou Dr. Berstein! And happy birthday. Mine is this month too and yes my weight and bgs are going up a bit each year with age. I'll be 58. Guess it's just a lifelong struggle.