Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
HOLY TOLEDO!! and still down 2 lbs. WOW!
I bet you were having some thick shakes at 2 cups per shake
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
Good Morning. I decided to start this mornng instead of waiting and I was so worried about not having coffee this morning I couldnt hardly sleep last night We own a specialty coffee shop so you can imagine how much caffeine I get in a day. Anyway I got up and had my shake with:

3/4 water
2 scoops of Jay Robb Chocolate ( love this stuff)
2 T HWC
1 cup ice

I'm drinking water at work. I will eat my meal at lunch, salad and celery soup, then a shake about 3, then another shake if I need it later this evening. So far no coffee isnt an issue but its only been 4 hours!!!!

Good luck all. I'm very excited I finally feel like maybe I can get control again.
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #183

Gallery: La Bruja
Stats: 201/188/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2009
Day 2 is here!

This morning I am having a shake made with the plain Designer Whey, coconut cream, and orange flavoring. I'm not sure that I'll buy the plain Designer Whey again. I usually use the Vanilla as a base for everything, and I wanted to see what it was like to use plain. Now I know - it's not as good .

I also tried the Chocolate Designer Whey for the first time yesterday - it's good but could definitely be more chocolate-y.

Can somebody with the book fill me in as to whether the plan allows cocoa powder as a flavoring at this stage? Thanks!
La Bruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #184
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flateyeball
Stats: 195.5/193/185
Start Date: 09/19/09
Quote:
I bet you were having some thick shakes at 2 cups per shake
3 cups, I had to adjust the amount of water otherwise I could have eaten it with a fork.

Question: I plan on eating 1/2 onion(sauteed), 3 garlic cloves, with 2 or 3 handfuls of spinach(sauteed) and a chicken breast. Is that adequate?
Not much of a cook here.
flateyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #185
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: whippetlady
Stats: 160 ( or more?) Goal is 140 5'5 small frame
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restarted May 2014
Hi everyone, have not read the entire thread yet, just skimmed thru. CAn I join? I have the book, and am on Day 5. Down 4 lbs. Just got some Luceine fortified protein powder today. Had some other powder but the luceine content was not mentioned, so I figured it was 10%, like Dr Eades mentioned on his blog.
I was very grouchy and emotional the first three days. Not sure why. I had to attend Oktoberfest and had about 40 offers of beer, all of which I had to turn down. Picked a heck of a week to start it.
I am looking to lose about 12 lbs after this is all over.
I have two burgers defrosting for dinner tonight. Last night I had shrimp scampi with steamed broccoli. I do the shakes in the morning and at lunch. Fortunately I work in a food lab so I have access to all the things i need to whip it up at lunch time.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
"I will eat my meal at lunch, salad and celery soup,..."

Jokath is the soup meaty? You need to eat protein with your meal!

flateyeball.... 3 CUPS of powder?!? OMG! LOL I can't imagine how you got that down.

I'm also feeling exceptionally well today. Let's see...today is day 6. My muscles have less fatigue and my joints even feel better. I also noticed that I didn't need quite as much sleep last night as the previous nights. And I FEEL better... more positive... more upbeat. It's all good and it's certainly a welcome change. I went for a walk this morning with a friend... we walked for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Then I came home and cleaned my house top to bottom (we're on the market) for a showing at 11:00. During the showing I took my dogs for their daily walk in fields. It's much harder to walk on uneven ground in tall grass! I've had two shakes and two eggs. I can't believe the energy I have... I keep looking around for something that needs doing. LOL I think I'll go trim some rose bushes.

I actually feel today like I can make it through two weeks of this. Until today, I knew it would take all the determination I could muster to make it.
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
Tril~
I had ham in my salad but will make more of an effort to get more protein in with my meal. I also had decaf tea with lunch. And I've been drinking more water now that I'm not drinking coffee.

How are you eating your eggs? I cant do raw eggs in shakes the thought of it makes me gag. But I could do boiled eggs.

I love this idea that I dont have to worry about what to eat for every meal.

I'm looking forward to the energy that you've found
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Just thought I would share with all of you that you can make a pudding out of the protein powder. Mix everything but the ice cubes in bowl (throw in an egg if you want) and microwave 20 seconds at a time. Pull it out when it starts to thicken or you will end up with more of a chewy cake.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: niagara belle
Stats: 233/202.5/150
WOE: Atkins '72
Hi Everyone
I haven't got my book yet but I want to take the plunge and get started based on the information here and Dr. Mikes blog. Do you think that will be enough infor?
I am wondering how many carbs are recommended on the 3/1 days?
Another question- i am gathering that people are putting a few berries in their shakes.
Is that true too?
I tested a shake with coconut milk today and it seems to be a little thicker than the one I tested with 2tbsp cream.
niagara belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabinator
WOE: Very Low Carb
[QUOTE=whippetlady;12515424]

I was very grouchy and emotional the first three days.

This is happening to me too, it's my second day.

However I'm blaming my coworkers !!
Gabinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #191
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niagara belle View Post
Hi Everyone
I I am wondering how many carbs are recommended on the 3/1 days?
Another question- i am gathering that people are putting a few berries in their shakes.
Is that true too?
I tested a shake with coconut milk today and it seems to be a little thicker than the one I tested with 2tbsp cream.

There are very few carbs in the plan that first two weeks, Niagara Belle. The shakes average less than 4 including the cream ,depending on how you make them. The meat and veg are very very low. And yes, I let myself have ONE berry shake a day. Less than 1/4 cup frozen raspberries or blueberries make it very nice.

Need to pick up some coconut milk for the 2nd two weeks.
whippetlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #192
Big Yapper!!!!

[quote=Gabinator;12516097]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippetlady View Post

I was very grouchy and emotional the first three days.

This is happening to me too, it's my second day.

However I'm blaming my coworkers !!
I can't wait to get to the Happy Energetic Place.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Yikes my prot shake mix is whey gourmet and it has ecc 3.5/ scoop
at my weight i would qualify to be a 2 scooper . That would bring my carbs up to 21 with 3 shakes alone and no added cream or coconut milk.

Does the book give an actual carb gm / day maximum?

Do you think I will be ok if I keep my carbs to under 30 ecc?
Thanks so much for your response.

Last edited by niagara belle; 09-22-2009 at 01:23 PM..
Old 09-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

I think I may have anwered my own question.
Apparently it's supposed to be about 30ECC first two weeks and 20ECC the second two weeks. Adding in way more veggies, taking advantage of the cream and cheese allowed first two weeks
Whew! I really didn't want to have to shop for a lower carb protein powder.
I finally found a brand I don't hate the taste of and it has the right amount of leucine in it for me.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

"How are you eating your eggs? I cant do raw eggs in shakes the thought of it makes me gag. But I could do boiled eggs."

Jokath... I'm frying them very lightly in butter. Just enough for the whites to set. The book says they're best uncooked, but I can't seem to get over it and just put one in my shake. I did it once and couldn't taste it, but the thought kinda made me gag. LOL Cooking hurts the cholesterol in the egg... so boiling them would probably be the worst way to eat them. Maybe poached? Just be sure the yolk is not cooked.

Last edited by Tril; 09-22-2009 at 02:19 PM..
Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

"Apparently it's supposed to be about 30ECC first two weeks and 20ECC the second two weeks."

You found your own answer!! The first two weeks are also lower calorie (less fat must bring this down). The second two weeks are higher calorie/fat and lower carb.

One more shake and I will have complete my 6th day. "ONLY" 8 to go. I'm already cruising my freezer looking at the meat possibilities. I have a turkey there that I plan to roast after this blasted shake session is over.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #197
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Welcome to the new folks who are doing this!

Homestretch,
so I tried the pudding but it blew up in the microwave much to the chargin of my son. But for the small amount it saved, it has potential. My fault, I walked away from the microwave. I am going to play around with it and see if I can make a shake w/ egg that is warm. This plan could be an option in December for me as well. I would want warm instead of cold options.

Tril,
I think I am going to roast/smoke a few chickens and was thinking of some type of crock pot meat. I like the idea of bulk cooking. Glad you are feeling like you can complete this!

Hi all

Dinner: marinated chicken, cheese, raw veggies and cauliflower casserole.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #198

I am HUNGRY! And being an Atkins girl, I ain't used to being hungry. This could be a problem.

I've had two shakes today - breakfast and lunch. I'm planning on having dinner at 5, then another shake around 7:30 while on break during my evening class.

Is anyone else hungrier than they normally are on LC?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabinator
WOE: Very Low Carb
I am little hungry and have a headache
Gabinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #200
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
I must be in ketosis because I am not hungry. I also didn't suffer from any headache. I attribute that to the little amount of caffeine I was accustomed to.

Are you adding an egg and hwc to the shakes? Wonder if that helps you
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Hunger was definitely an issue for me, too. Adding the eggs helped me the most. You could add more to your shakes if you're hungry, more cream or more powder. I'm close to going to 1 scoop per shake. I tried it and it didn't hold me so now I'm using 1.5 scoops as two felt like too much. One thing to keep in mind is that this plan is lower calorie the first two weeks... so being a little extra hungry by the time the next feeding rolls around should probably be expected.

I was just wondering how many calories are in my shakes...

1.5 scoops pp - 200
2 TBS HWC - 100
If I add an egg - 75

So my shakes are 375. Most days I have two... 750 calories. If I had a third one at night I wouldn't have an egg with it... so 1075 calories. That leaves me at most 425 calories for my one meal. Hmm... based on my dinner tonight, I won't be having a third shake tonight while I watch Biggest Loser! LOL
Old 09-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #202
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bruja View Post
Day 2 is here!

This morning I am having a shake made with the plain Designer Whey, coconut cream, and orange flavoring. I'm not sure that I'll buy the plain Designer Whey again. I usually use the Vanilla as a base for everything, and I wanted to see what it was like to use plain. Now I know - it's not as good .

I also tried the Chocolate Designer Whey for the first time yesterday - it's good but could definitely be more chocolate-y.

Can somebody with the book fill me in as to whether the plan allows cocoa powder as a flavoring at this stage? Thanks!
No caffeine so cocoa is not allowed. I'd probably be adding some to mine, too, if it were allowed.

The Eades state the amount in chocolate protein powder is minimal and unlikely to matter.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bruja View Post
How's this plan going for you? Anything to share about your own experience with it?
I'm enjoying the nutrition. I'm a long time shake fan but hadn't made any in ages.

I haven't been on the plan long but I'm looking forward to seeing good results when I take measurements again. I'm not overly hungry and only had two shakes yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
Today is day 4 for me and I must mirror what others are saying. I finally feel in control again. I also feel a lot better. I was worried that day 3 was going to be a killer but it was a breeze. My workout last night was great and I felt like finally, on the right track.

I am not weighing either but I can see that I am starting to lean out.
In two weeks time I will post another picture to compare.

Day by day..thats my focus.

Diamondd Deb,
Your posts are appreciate here. I "think" you have extensive knowledge of Protein Power and the Eade's in general. So thanks for supporting us.
Thanks for the kind words. I have a lot of past experience with Protein Power and do follow the Eades. The science behind their nutrition always comes through and that means a lot to me. You know they are not about fad diets.

I agree that the structure of this plan helps one feel in control. There is enough flexibility to allow for personal preferences, too.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #204

Quote:
Are you adding an egg and hwc to the shakes? Wonder if that helps you
I've been using coconut milk instead of HWC, so that's okay, but I may try adding an egg. Or another scoop of powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
No caffeine so cocoa is not allowed. I'd probably be adding some to mine, too, if it were allowed.
Bummer! Oh well, the chocolate one I made at lunch was okay. I'll just get used to the lighter taste.

I'm also thinking I might do better with my meal at lunch instead of dinner. I did that yesterday and I wasn't as hungry.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
I just looked up the amount of caffeine in cocoa powder and it is really small. I am only
using a tsp. in some of my shakes and from what I read, it sounds like it is a negligible amount, like what would be in a cup of DECAF coffee.
I'm sticking with it.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
I just looked up the amount of caffeine in cocoa powder and it is really small. I am only
using a tsp. in some of my shakes and from what I read, it sounds like it is a negligible amount, like what would be in a cup of DECAF coffee.
I'm sticking with it.
Sounds like a plan! I agree, it is not something that would be likely to make or break the program.

I've had a cup of decaf each day in a shake so that makes us even.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:26 AM   #207
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
I'm sticking with it.
Good, the caffeine in cocoa powder is pretty negligible.

Day 7 for me , woke up feeling pretty energetic, despite the clouds and drizzle. Holding at a 4.2 lb loss for my first week, and one inch off my waist, and 1/2 off my hips. YAY!!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
whippetlady~CONGRATS! on the weight and inch loss... I am so nervous about my first remeasure this Sunday!

snaggle~just wanted to say I have been drinking your Sassy water regularly.. can you tell me how often its recommended to change the lemon/cuc/mint mixture?

Looks like everyone is doing great! Yesterday was Week1, Day 2 for me and it went off without a hitch. I stuck to my planned lunch with my girlfriend, had my shake for dinner and got both a walk and my T-Tapp work out in!
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Welcome to the new folks who are doing this!

Homestretch,
so I tried the pudding but it blew up in the microwave much to the chargin of my son. But for the small amount it saved, it has potential. My fault, I walked away from the microwave. I am going to play around with it and see if I can make a shake w/ egg that is warm. This plan could be an option in December for me as well. I would want warm instead of cold options.
Ohhh no Stevie! You really have to watch it and take it in and out to see how it is cooking. Once it starts to get thick, take it out and let it stand and it will thicken more. I ate my shakes as chewy, cake like patties before I got it right.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathieinut
Stats: restart 209.6/162/145
Start Date: restart (4th time around) 5/18/09
So good to hear everyone's report with this woe.
I am cutting out the caffeine just because I know it will help me but I am like so many of you with coffee...mine being Diet soda...I am taking it away a bit at a time this week and looking for Splenda sweetened caffeine free soda to sub. until I can get over the enjoyment of sodas! LOL
Cathieinut is offline   Reply With Quote