Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
As far as coconut milk is concerned, there is the real kind that is sold in cans and is mostly fat (coconut oil) and it has been around forever and is a total thai food staple, and then there is this new kind in cartons, in the refrigerated milk section. The brand is "So Delicious". I think it is just a watered down verson of real coconut milk. I bought the unsweetened yesterday. 50 cal. per cup. Tastes really gross plain, but is fine to add a little fat, and creaminess to shakes without any sugar. I experimented, however, and really prefer the unsweetened almond milk flavor and it is 40 cal per cup.
This mornings shake had about 1/2 cup of each, leftover cold decaf coffee, Jay robb vanilla, cocoa powder and a dash of da vinci vanilla, all blended with ice. Best shake yet.
I looked all over for coconut milk but I see now that I should have looked in a different section. I wondered how it would be prepared with Almond Breeze. I think it could taste really good.
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #152
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rayd619
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bruja View Post
The Asian section of any large-ish supermarket should have it. Look for the Thai seasonings and mixes; coconut milk and maybe even coconut cream will be right there.
My local Albertson and Whole Foods had it. I live in San Diego too and had a hard time finding it until I asked an employee. They had in in the Asian section on the very bottom shelf.

I think I have to re-read the book, but what does it recommend about snacking. I'm on day 1 and am starving in between shakes. Here's my schedule for today:

6:00 am shake 1
9:00 am shake 2
12:30 Lunch - chicken
I'll probably have shake around 4-5:00 but a few hours after that I think I'll be hungry again. I'm new to the low-carb diet and wondering what is everyone else doing?

- Ray

Last edited by rayd619; 09-21-2009 at 03:47 PM..
rayd619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabinator
WOE: Very Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
From the book:

Your protein powder should be 18-22 grams per scoop (more is fine)

Under 130 lbs use one scoop

131-180 use two scoops

>181 use three scooops

Koo

The number of scoops depends on your weight - Natasha posted the amounts

My morning shake was:

6 oz water
2 scoops Whey protein powder - Chocolate flavor
2 tablespoons Heavy cream
A little ice
Gabinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KrisJ
Stats: 280+/210/115
WOE: LC my way-Carb/Fat/Calorie Cycling
Start Date: Restart 7/5/09
Just finished the book...

I'm struggling to make sense of the use of shakes. They talk about Meat and Eggs being the ideal diet. I understood them to say that they formulated the shakes to mimic meat nutrients.

If that's the case? Why the shakes? Why not just eat Meat? The shakes have a higher carb count than meat. I need help understanding why I would go off of Meat and Eggs and go onto shakes +meat for 2 weeks. Is it just to wean people OFF of carbs like Atkins induction?

Can anyone help me out? It was my first Read of the book. Maybe I just misunderstood something.
Thanks!
Pant Size Start - 26 how embarrassing!!
KrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #155

Gallery: La Bruja
Stats: 201/188/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2009
One thing about the coconut milk is that I think it's supposed to give you some fat every day so you don't damage your muscles.

I think that's the reason they suggest the canned coconut milk, which is mostly good coconut oil like Snaggle said.

If using other milks, I'd think you should add the HWC for fat.

From what I read when I looked at the book without buying it (), you can use 2 TB of coconut milk or 2 TB of HWC, your choice.
La Bruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #156
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
Yes mix the two scoops and add the HWC. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabinator View Post
Koo

The number of scoops depends on your weight - Natasha posted the amounts

My morning shake was:

6 oz water
2 scoops Whey protein powder - Chocolate flavor
2 tablespoons Heavy cream
A little ice
Thank you both for answering. Gabinator, I am glad you jumped in before I went to make a shake. I was going to add double the water since it was two scoops, now I get you just make it thicker and keep the water the same whether you are using one, two or three scoops.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabinator
WOE: Very Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJ View Post
I'm struggling to make sense of the use of shakes. They talk about Meat and Eggs being the ideal diet. I understood them to say that they formulated the shakes to mimic meat nutrients.

If that's the case? Why the shakes? Why not just eat Meat? The shakes have a higher carb count than meat. I need help understanding why I would go off of Meat and Eggs and go onto shakes +meat for 2 weeks. Is it just to wean people OFF of carbs like Atkins induction?

Can anyone help me out? It was my first Read of the book. Maybe I just misunderstood something.
Thanks!

KrisJ

My take on the Protein Shakes is that they wanted to simplify the program and take the guesswork out for the first two weeks.

Avoiding caffeine and alcohol is to give your liver a break

I like the fact that I'm not stressing out over what to eat all day.
Gabinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KrisJ
Stats: 280+/210/115
WOE: LC my way-Carb/Fat/Calorie Cycling
Start Date: Restart 7/5/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabinator View Post
KrisJ

My take on the Protein Shakes is that they wanted to simplify the program and take the guesswork out for the first two weeks.

Avoiding caffeine and alcohol is to give your liver a break

I like the fact that I'm not stressing out over what to eat all day.
Thanks for your thoughts. I wonder if this is the case...would I get the same liver cleaning benefits if I continued to eat meat and egg and just cut out the caffeine? - I rarely have alcohol so that's no biggee.
I'm afraid if I stop the meat and egg and go to the shakes that my system will not like so many carbs.
KrisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #159
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOO View Post
Hi, I'd like to jump in here and give this a shot for a couple of days to see if I can work it.
I have some questions if someone is available to answer them. I bought some Jay Rob vanilla protein powder and I think I need two scoops. Now a serving on the canister says one scoop is a serving so with this plan I do two servings at a time. Do I mix it as it says and then add the HWC? Any help is appreciated.
Add all the liquids first, add the powder last and then blend. That will help it mix better.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
As far as coconut milk is concerned, there is the real kind that is sold in cans and is mostly fat (coconut oil) and it has been around forever and is a total thai food staple, and then there is this new kind in cartons, in the refrigerated milk section. The brand is "So Delicious". I think it is just a watered down verson of real coconut milk. I bought the unsweetened yesterday. 50 cal. per cup. Tastes really gross plain, but is fine to add a little fat, and creaminess to shakes without any sugar. I experimented, however, and really prefer the unsweetened almond milk flavor and it is 40 cal per cup.
This mornings shake had about 1/2 cup of each, leftover cold decaf coffee, Jay robb vanilla, cocoa powder and a dash of da vinci vanilla, all blended with ice. Best shake yet.
I don't think So Delicious is plain coconut milk. As you suggest it appears to be a watered down beverage. I'm not sure what they did to it. The coconut milk I have is much higher in fat than SD is & that fat is why coconut milk was added to the shakes. My coconut milk has 9g fat per .25 cup while SD unsweetened has 5g per cup.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
I looked all over for coconut milk but I see now that I should have looked in a different section. I wondered how it would be prepared with Almond Breeze. I think it could taste really good.
Canned coconut milk can be found in the ethnic section of most grocery stores.

Almond Breeze is not heavy whipping cream or coconut milk. The ingredients were chosen for their specific benefits. I don't suggest substituting anything.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 09-21-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #162

So I'm sipping on my 3rd and last shake for the day, and I think it's going well. I haven't been overly hungry, though I am "missing" food, if you know what I mean.

My carbs are right around 40, which is about 10 above my usual 30. My calories are about 1450, which is below my current target of 1600ish.

I can't find my measuring tape! I'll measure my waist with string and a yardstick tomorrow at work .
Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #163

Quote:
So I'm sipping on my 3rd and last shake for the day, and I think it's going well. I haven't been overly hungry, though I am "missing" food, if you know what I mean.

My carbs are right around 40, which is about 10 above my usual 30. My calories are about 1450, which is below my current target of 1600ish.

I can't find my measuring tape! I'll measure my waist with string and a yardstick tomorrow at work .
How did you end up with 40 g carbs? Where did they come from?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
How did you end up with 40 g carbs? Where did they come from?
Protein powder, coconut cream, HWC, and I had berries in two of my shakes, 2 ounces per shake. And of course my meal included vegetables, which also contain carbs.

Why so concerned?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #165

Quote:
Protein powder, coconut cream, HWC, and I had berries in two of my shakes, 2 ounces per shake. And of course my meal included vegetables, which also contain carbs.

Why so concerned?
Not concerned, just surprised to see carbs over 30g.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #166

As long as you ate what was on the plan it is fine.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I was just sharing my first day, not looking for approval, but thanks!

How's this plan going for you? Anything to share about your own experience with it?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #168
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
I had my first Jay Rob Vanilla shake and yuck! I have to go back to the drawing board and find something that I like before I can jump into this. Hopefully, I can find something soon.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 222/222/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 05/16/2014
Quote:
I had my first Jay Rob Vanilla shake and yuck! I have to go back to the drawing board and find something that I like before I can jump into this. Hopefully, I can find something soon.
I didnt like the Jay Rob eather..........I am using the Lean Dessert.....not bad stuff.

Vicki
sweetpoison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am using GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme in chocolate. The girl at GNC recommended it and it really blends smooth and tastes EXACTLY like chocolate milk. I have a few brands that make me want to gag. Designer Whey is also good. I do not like mine mixed with ice. I just add water, cream, powder and then shake it in a shaker.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJ View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I wonder if this is the case...would I get the same liver cleaning benefits if I continued to eat meat and egg and just cut out the caffeine? - I rarely have alcohol so that's no biggee.
I'm afraid if I stop the meat and egg and go to the shakes that my system will not like so many carbs.
I agree that the shakes were added in to give you the control needed to jumpstart the first two weeks. About a year ago a study done at one of the major medical schools (been a while since I read the article) that confirmed that dieters who used shakes in place of meals lost significantly more than those who ate meals. The theory was that the shakes controlled the amount of calories while people typically underestimate what they eat when eating normal foods. I can only assume that they may be pulling on some of that data as a reason to use the shakes. I don't know how many carbs you are currently eating but I do not eat that many carbs in a day. My shakes only have 4 carbs per 2 scoops. I can only drink 2 shakes a day because I am not hungry for the third. Then last night I had 12 carbs for dinner that came from veggies. My day came in at 20 carbs. If meat and eggs are working for you then keep doing it but the Eades believe there is no real benefit from going extremely low on carbs. For me personally if I want to sleep I have to get at least 20 carbs per day.

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
Quote:
I don't think we're supposed to have extras, including cream in your coffee. I skimp on the cream/coconut milk to allow a tiny bit of cream in my decaf. It's one of the things that's helping me cut back on the coffee... not enough cream! I've gone from a pot of high test to one mug of decaf. Egads... no wonder my head is still hurting. LOL
This is a good point.. but by extras I didn't really mean "extras".. I like to add and extra 100 calories, just for the discrepancies in everyday measurements... for example, one day I may use a Jumbo egg vs. a large or extra large, some day my PP scoop maybe heaping and others scant... just because thats me and I don't want to have to rethink each day

But I am taking your advice and becoming more conscious of the cream in my coffee and shakes!

Also I think DiamondDeb made some great points here:

Quote:
Don't worry about the calories. Just follow the plan as it is written. As mentioned, calories will vary greatly since the protein powder serving size will vary. And the protein serving for the real food meals is not a set amount. The plan should still work. And remember, the true results will be the inches lost not scale weight.
Quote:
I am absolutely loving everyones input!

I posted all the ugly-ness (stats) on my blog yesterday. I am really trying to be accountable.
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayd619 View Post
My local Albertson and Whole Foods had it. I live in San Diego too and had a hard time finding it until I asked an employee. They had in in the Asian section on the very bottom shelf.

I think I have to re-read the book, but what does it recommend about snacking. I'm on day 1 and am starving in between shakes. Here's my schedule for today:

6:00 am shake 1
9:00 am shake 2
12:30 Lunch - chicken
I'll probably have shake around 4-5:00 but a few hours after that I think I'll be hungry again. I'm new to the low-carb diet and wondering what is everyone else doing?

- Ray
Are you using enough protein powder? Have you tried adding an egg to your shakes? The first couple of days I added an egg and I was not hungry again until evening. There will be a 3-5 day period of adjustment if you are new to low carb. During this time your body will switch from burning carbs as a fuel source to burning fat (ketosis). You will experience some hunger and possibly some headaches until your body makes the transition. The wonderful thing about low carb eating is that once you get into it hunger goes out the window. Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Tuesday! This is day 6 for me and I feel fantastic. I have been struggling to get back to strict low carb since I got back from vacation at the end of June. In an effort to gain control I have tried zero carb and JUDDD because regular Atkins seemed to not be working for me. Both of those things failed to get me back in the saddle. I also felt bad the last few months with little energy and a case of the grouchies. The last two days I have felt better than I have in months. Finally I feel a sense of control, I am sleeping good, and I have energy. One of the reasons I wanted off the caffeine was to see if it actually gives me more energy to stay away from it and I do feel so much better. I cannot say if it is the caffeine or something else in the plan but I was wondering if anyone else has begun to feel better? I am really excited by this alone. I have not been on the scale but the improvement in the way that I feel is amazing. I have not decided but I may wait the entire 2 weeks before I weigh. I don't need anything breaking my stride.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am using GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme in chocolate. The girl at GNC recommended it and it really blends smooth and tastes EXACTLY like chocolate milk.
OH GREAT! I will have to buy some additional Protein Powder to finish out my two weeks, since I did a Week 0. I was thinking Chocolate and was happy to see your review!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Finally I feel a sense of control, I am sleeping good, and I have energy. One of the reasons I wanted off the caffeine was to see if it actually gives me more energy to stay away from it and I do feel so much better. I cannot say if it is the caffeine or something else in the plan but I was wondering if anyone else has begun to feel better?
YES! I have actually noticed the same things and I am wondering the same things. Is it removal of caffeine ? I worked with a woman you gave up caffeine and she swore she had more energy! Maybe the Eades are right , and my liver is now able to burn up some of that fat for energy now that it is not overburdened with caffeine, etc...
Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #177
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flateyeball
Stats: 195.5/193/185
Start Date: 09/19/09
Down 2 lbs.
I kept thinking at this rate I'll need a new $20 PP box every three days.
As I was preparing my shake this morning, this little scoop appears (they had to hide that thing on the very bottom) in my PP box and a stupid thought crossed my mind. I had been using 3 cups instead of three scoops. Duh!
Anyway, down 2 pounds and cheated some on the wine. We'll be hitting the gym in a little bit.
flateyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I had been using 3 cups instead of three scoops. Duh!
HOLY TOLEDO!! and still down 2 lbs. WOW!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #179

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Today is day 4 for me and I must mirror what others are saying. I finally feel in control again. I also feel a lot better. I was worried that day 3 was going to be a killer but it was a breeze. My workout last night was great and I felt like finally, on the right track.

I am not weighing either but I can see that I am starting to lean out.
In two weeks time I will post another picture to compare.

Day by day..thats my focus.

I saw coconut milk at my dollar store - fyi.

Flateyeball,
lol, at least you know now! 2 pounds is 2 pounds! Awesome.

Diamondd Deb,
Your posts are appreciate here. I "think" you have extensive knowledge of Protein Power and the Eade's in general. So thanks for supporting us.

You all have a wonderful day and be good to yourselves
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
YES! I have actually noticed the same things and I am wondering the same things. Is it removal of caffeine ? I worked with a woman you gave up caffeine and she swore she had more energy! Maybe the Eades are right , and my liver is now able to burn up some of that fat for energy now that it is not overburdened with caffeine, etc...
I gave up caffeine when I began to low carb and I thought at that time I would never touch it again but low and behold it made its way back in my diet....once again, I am glad it is gone! I am glad that a few of us are feeling the benefits of this. It is very exciting!