Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #121

Gallery: La Bruja
Stats: 201/188/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2009
Is anybody trying this without giving up coffee?

I know skipping coffee & alcohol is supposed to rest my liver, but what if my liver isn't tired?
La Bruja is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabinator
WOE: Very Low Carb
Good Morning!

I got the book the week it came out and I'm starting Week 1 today.

I already had my morning shake, plan on having a Cobb salad for lunch, then the other two shakes during the day.

Thanks Natasha for your tips !
Gabinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post
I haven't been this sick in a while. Fever about 100.5 all yesterday and I'm so congested I can't taste anything, so when I drink tea it tastes just like water.

I woke up weighing 137.8 this morning, down another pound and a half. So yes, not eating much can indeed result in a weight loss close to 4 lbs over two days.

But my Tanita says my fat percentage is higher than usual, too, probably because I'm a bit dehydrated despite chugging vast amounts of tea.

I think it is safe to say that any immediate weight loss must be water and/or the decreased weight of food in our gut. It is not possible to lose 3 or 4 pounds of fat in a few days.

I do not point this out to say the diet is a fraud. I point it out so people will understand that the initial weight "loss" is the amount of the weight "gain" people will experience as soon as they go back to eating more normally (and this includes LC maintenance normal). Understanding this can help avoid the panic that ensues when people "gain" 4 lbs in a week. This panic, sadly, often leads to the attitude "Oh, well I give up" and the binge that leaves people fatter than before. I have read so many accounts of just that happening, I take it very seriously.

===
Homestretch,

The reason I criticize plans like this is that I have spent eleven years watching the majority of enthusiastic low carbers active on web support boards fail miserably. I have put a lot of time, effort and research into examining the reasons why this happens because for the diabetes community failure is not just about looking bad at your high school reunion, it's about losing your feet or your vision or kidneys. I have spent a lot of time examining the diet strategies of people who have been successful in maintaining reduced carb lifestyles long term--five or more years.

The main thing I've learned from this research is that the slower, more moderate, approaches are those most likely to result in long-term success. Quick loss is almost always followed by quick regain, especially loss that is achieved by eating in abnormal fashions that don't correlate with how you need to eat for years to come to maintain.

The safest way to diet is to KNOW that you will have to eat exactly what you are eating WHILE you diet after the "diet" is over. 99% of dieters assume they will be able to add in some foods when they hit goal. For most this is simply not true. So it is essential to lose weight on a regimen that you really truly can continue to eat years after you have lost an ounce. Many of us are unrealistic about how well we will do on a regimen that eliminates a lot of the foods we are accustomed to eat.

Beyond that, my own personal experience has been that quick loss due to eating little food downregulates the metabolism making maintenance even more difficult.

So that is why this particular diet, designed to sell by appealing to people's desire for fast results worries me. Pitch a diet as a "six week cure" and mention only in the fine print that it is a "cure" only if you keep your carbs ketogenic for the rest of your life and you are setting up people for failure. (Any intake under 100 g a day is defined technically as ketogenic because ketones rise in the blood but may not be spilled into urine at the higher end of the range.)

I also question the scientific basis for believing this diet can target liver fat better than others. The research cites support that any diet including high carb diets that cut calories dramatically will reduce liver fat, a bit. Aerobic exercise will too, but NOT strength training. Cutting out fructose appears to be very helpful, which would not go along with the recommendation to eat fruits. There is conflicting information about the use of Metformin to lower liver fat, my guess is that it might when used with a lower carb diet, as it lowers triglycerides dramatically in that combination.

Cutting out alcohol also helps greatly if a person is drinking more than a drink a day.

The scholarly online diet research community is currently unearthing some fascinating information about why it appears a constituent of meat fat may raise insulin resistance which I am thinking may contribute to our understanding of the almost inevitable stalls that occur in LC diets after the first, adaptive, phase.

It is also making it very clear that the omega 6 vegetable oils are far more damaging than we realize.

I urge anyone interested in this to subscribe to Whole Health Source. Go back to the beginning of the year and read forward when you have a chance. This guy is brilliant and his research very eye-opening.
Bloodsugar,
With all your research what plan(s) do seem to work best for most folks?
Are you basing your conclusions on people with diabetes and/or insulin resistance only? Not being argumentative here as I find a lot of the things you posted to be true in my case but sadly I am always trying the next new book (diet) all too often without lasting results. I am not sure if it is my lack of control and commitment or if the plans for the most part are just destined to fail over the long haul for most of us. I say most of us because I know there are always exceptions. My sister-in laws are marathoners, triathloners, and are vegetarians and never go off their plans so I think some people just have more resolve than others for whatever reason. I wonder about it all sometimes one of the two sister in laws mentioned above will eat desserts at family functions while the other doesn't but neither seem to be battling thier weight like someone like me who ends up with the deprive/binge cycle. They do workout the dessert eater ironically less than the other one (due to children and job commitments) but so do I. I am not a runner like they are but do workout moderately. I am currently trying to back off the exercise some to see if it will actually help me to lose better.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-21-2009 at 08:55 AM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
JeanieM,

I'll post something to answer your question in a new thread as soon as I feel a bit better.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #125
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Day three. Like Homestretch, I had a successful weekend. Its also been a long time since I have been 100% on target.

My shakes are very simple because I like the taste of my shakes. I also do not add fruit because my shakes have 4 carbs in it. I refuse to buy new powder when I have this one sitting here.

Day three...I think I will go for three shakes and try dinner later. Hard to say. I have water aerobics tonight at 7:30 so I have to think about my plan of action. The most imporant thibg tome is making sure I fuel my self, keep the hunger satisfied.

Bloodsugar,
I appreciate the concern. I am actually surprised to see you in here however because you are not doing the program. It feels like we are being singled out and this is confusing to me. I am an adult who can make my own decions, mistakes, trials and errors. I "got" the message a page back. I don't know why it keeps getting repeated that you do not approve of this plan. I find it out of character for you but maybe I am wrong because I dont know where else you post. I believe your posts are heart felt but really, its starting to feel invasive. I am not trying to be combative. Thats not my style.

edited to add...I dont have issue with your disappoval. I read others disapproval on the blogs, Amazon, etc. so I think your opinion matters I just think this is not the right thread for it. Maybe conclude your thoughts in the ML where the book was discussed? Just a thought.

Anyway, we all have freedom of speech. That is my two cents. lol

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 09-21-2009 at 09:30 AM..
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #126
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post
JeanieM,

I'll post something to answer your question in a new thread as soon as I feel a bit better.
I think a new thread is a good idea. Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jokath
Stats: Then 190/144/144...Now 190/156/155
WOE: Low carb/Gluten Free
Start Date: January 2003
I finally received my book, Amazon is getting slower I think. I am in the process of reading it now and will begin my week 0 next week.

I have been low carbing since 2002 and recently my eating habits have gotten a little out of control and the weight is creeping back up. I'm not assuming that this diet will be the 'miracle' cure but what I'm trying to do is simply get some control over my eating and I think this will be the way to do it. I do better if I have plan to follow instead of having to come up with a plan of my own.

I will continue reading the book as well as this thread, which I've really enjoyed by the way. I really dont believe that anyone posting here has 'fallen' for the pitch that this is the '6 week cure'. I think we are all trying to accomplish the same goal and that is to make a positive change in our eating habits.
jokath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #128
Big Yapper!!!!

On the title of the book Dr. Eades mentioned in his blog ( I think) that he was not crazy about the title but it was what the publisher wanted.

Made a shake today that I really liked:
-diet orange soda (waist watchers brand sweetened with splenda), unsweet. coconut milk, unsweet. vanilla almond breeze to equal 8 oz. total

- 1 scoop each of unsweetened vanilla/choc protein powder sweet with stevia

- 1 raw egg

- crushed ice

Turned out very thick and was really good. This is the first shake that has been thick enough for my tastes. Others I have tried I put in the freezer for about a half hour before drinking to thicken into a slushie type drink so I could enjoy it without it being too watery for my tastes.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bruja View Post

I know skipping coffee & alcohol is supposed to rest my liver, but what if my liver isn't tired?
I am giving up caffeine. I was off of it in the past and I just thought that I would give it a try again. I had grown to depend on my morning caffeine buzz and didn't like the afternoon crash. I can't drink it in the afternoon because it keeps me up at night.
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Hi All,
I am still stuck at 152. Still 2 lbs in 6 days is good for me. I did probably go a bit high in calories this weekend. Last night we had a big family dinner with barbequed beef tenderloin, salad, a winter squash/poblano pepper dish and.............what turned out to be a bit of a cheat, half a smallish corn on the cob. I should have known that corn was not on the veggie list, but I succumbed. I have only been having two shakes plus a meal, so my meals tend to be kind of big. Not having wine was tough.
I figure adding veggies is probably the most innocuous addition, as far as cheats go, but I still want to try and stick to the book quantity recommendations.

If anyone really wants a delicious way to make butternut squash, the recipe was an Emeril one, "butternut squash and poblano pepper pan fry". My SIL didn't have any chili powder, so I used some taco seasoning and other spices (way more than the recipe called for) and a little bacon fat. Everyone loved it so much they are begging me to make it for Thanksgiving. I found it on the food tv website.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #131

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Diamond Deb,
I wanted to mention..I agree about measuring. I can see a slight change all ready so you are correct, the scale is not the only tool to determin losses

Did anyone measure their tummy lying down? Isnt that what was suggested? I thought someone mentioned a youtube instruction video.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

La Bruja- I gave it up----BUT I am making really good decaf (grind my own beans) in the a.m., so I don't have to miss my ritual. I had 2 days of bad headaches and one day of a light headache, and now, nothing. I am not a believer that coffee is bad, so I will go back to my usual blend when I am done with the plan.
By the way, my DH started a day later and in 5 days has lost 3.5 lbs. He is happy with that. I think he will really drop in the meat weeks because he does very well on vlc.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
"...that puts me at 1825...if I round that up to 1900...for extras.. like cream in my coffee..."

I don't think we're supposed to have extras, including cream in your coffee. I skimp on the cream/coconut milk to allow a tiny bit of cream in my decaf. It's one of the things that's helping me cut back on the coffee... not enough cream! I've gone from a pot of high test to one mug of decaf. Egads... no wonder my head is still hurting. LOL

The second phase should be interesting... no dairy. http://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf...ilies/eek1.gif That's going to be a challenge. I've never tried almond milk or coconut milk in coffee. Might be time to try it.

I've decided that my shakes are not meal replacements. They're... just necessary. I'm making mine in a small glass with an immersion blender. A little water (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup), 2 TBS coconut milk, 1.5 scoops powder and a dash of almond extract. It makes a foamy 6 to 8 oz. I stand at the sink and chug it. Done. Much better.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

** Stevie Renee**NGJ26** Yay for us! Making it through the weekend like champs!! Whooooop!

**BloodSugar**The fact is that we all are choosing this plan and really do not need your advice on this. You nor anyone else can really pinpoint which way to diet is the best or what is going to work long term etc. I lost 50 pounds over 18 months some of the people who have been on the boards forever lost 50 pounds in 6 months. It hasn't make me anymore successful going the slow route. Some studies actually indicate that people maintain their motivation better with rapid weight loss. I would suggest you read "Thin for Life" by Anne Fletcher. She interviewed successful dieters who have lost weight and kept it off and they lost weight on every plan imaginable including liquid diets.

I agree with Stevie on the point that it is odd that you are pinpointing this program when there are all kind of diets being done on this board. Why not go push your advice on them? I have been a SUCCESSFUL low carber for over 3 years. This is a lifestlye for me. My recent round of test results from the doctor exceeded my expectations so I must know what I am doing. Right now for me I have determined that this is a way to get back on track after slowly drifting into having too many carbs for my body. Do I plan to eat like this forever? No, after 6 weeks I plan on getting right back to my low carb diet. I think the Eades offer a ton of wonderful free advice every day on their board or blog. If they make money from a book....GREAT! Do you really think that the researchers you are quoting are somehow free of being influenced by money? If so I suggest you read Taubes or Barry Groves findings on how these "scientific studies" are financed, conducted, and skewed. You see, you are not the only one who is educated on this subject. When I began to low carb I was pre-diabetic, suffering from PCOS (which I underwent 2 surgeries for) and was 50 pounds overweight. I sat at home looking at my prescription for Metformin for 2 days until I decided to roll up my sleeves and research the best way to combat my health issues. Three years later I suffer from none of these things and I did it without ever taking one pill. So while your advice may be well intentioned you need to take it to an audience that really needs or wants your input. This thread is for those of us doing the plan and supporting one another.

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!

Last edited by homestretch; 09-21-2009 at 10:56 AM..
Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
Hi All,
I am still stuck at 152. Still 2 lbs in 6 days is good for me. I did probably go a bit high in calories this weekend. Last night we had a big family dinner with barbequed beef tenderloin, salad, a winter squash/poblano pepper dish and.............what turned out to be a bit of a cheat, half a smallish corn on the cob. I should have known that corn was not on the veggie list, but I succumbed. I have only been having two shakes plus a meal, so my meals tend to be kind of big. Not having wine was tough.
I figure adding veggies is probably the most innocuous addition, as far as cheats go, but I still want to try and stick to the book quantity recommendations.

If anyone really wants a delicious way to make butternut squash, the recipe was an Emeril one, "butternut squash and poblano pepper pan fry". My SIL didn't have any chili powder, so I used some taco seasoning and other spices (way more than the recipe called for) and a little bacon fat. Everyone loved it so much they are begging me to make it for Thanksgiving. I found it on the food tv website.
Snaggle 2 pounds in 6 days is amazing for anyone not just you! Be proud of that. It sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful healthy meal last night....YUM!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Where do you usually buy the coconut milk?

I live in San Diego, so I'm sure it's available somewhere, I just haven't been able to find it.

Last edited by Gabinator; 09-21-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bruja View Post

I can give up coffee, but the hardest part will be giving up my wine.

I might hurt somebody tonight.......
Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #138
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabinator View Post

I live in San Diego, so I'm sure it's available somewhere, I just haven't been able to find it.
The only place I have been able to find the SO Delicious milk in the carton it is at my local Bloom grocery store.
I don't know if you could google the SO brand or not and see if they list stores by zip code that carry it or not. I think most grocery stores carry the canned variety in the international foods section.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-21-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
The only place I have been able to find the SO Delicious milk in the carton it is at my local Bloom grocery store.
I don't know if you could google the SO brand or not and see if they list stores by zip code that carry it or not. I think most grocery stores carry the canned variety in the international foods section.
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #140
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14days View Post
thanks tril!! what does he suggest for maintainance?......sorry i cant aford the book at this moment!!
Weeks 5 & 6 are maintenance.

See if your library has the book or sit down & skim it out at a book store.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #141

Gallery: La Bruja
Stats: 201/188/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2009
Quote:

The Asian section of any large-ish supermarket should have it. Look for the Thai seasonings and mixes; coconut milk and maybe even coconut cream will be right there.
La Bruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/150/162
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I am going to try this for a couple of days and see if it will jump start my loss. I have been stalled for months at around 155-7. Today I am starting at 158.4 because of carb blowout this weekend. So far I have had one shake and am still full. Thanks for for all the info.
Anne
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
Homestretch, great job over the weekend and thanks for some great posts on this thread.

I noticed a few people posting about calories and I am a little concerned myself.. since I am starting above the 180 mark 3 scoops of protein powder starts me at 330 calories, add an egg 70 calories, tsp enova 40. Tblsp coconut milk 35 .. so roughly 475 per shake @ 3 shakes 1425 and then add my meal say another 400 calories... well that puts me at 1825...if I round that up to 1900...for extras.. like cream in my coffee...

Well I guess its not as bad as I originally thought... my resting metabolism burns roughly 1500 calories a day, so adding in my activity I should still be okay...
Don't worry about the calories. Just follow the plan as it is written. As mentioned, calories will vary greatly since the protein powder serving size will vary. And the protein serving for the real food meals is not a set amount. The plan should still work. And remember, the true results will be the inches lost not scale weight.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1annewil View Post
I am going to try this for a couple of days and see if it will jump start my loss. I have been stalled for months at around 155-7. Today I am starting at 158.4 because of carb blowout this weekend. So far I have had one shake and am still full. Thanks for for all the info.
Anne
It should work.

In PP the Eades suggest one real food meal and 2 shakes for a maximum of three days as a stall breaker. I have used that in the past & it worked every time.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
Diamond Deb,
I wanted to mention..I agree about measuring. I can see a slight change all ready so you are correct, the scale is not the only tool to determin losses

Did anyone measure their tummy lying down? Isnt that what was suggested? I thought someone mentioned a youtube instruction video.
The scale only measures total weight loss; it can't differentiate what was lost or changes in body composition.

They mention a video on how to measure SAD in the book but I did not find one. The instructions say to measure boy lying on the floor and standing against the wall. The number you want is the difference between the two. That should go down as you do the plan.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #146

Quote:
I can give up coffee, but the hardest part will be giving up my wine.

I might hurt somebody tonight.......
You can do it! It's only two weeks!

They also suggest week 0 for tapering off coffee.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #147
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flateyeball
Stats: 195.5/193/185
Start Date: 09/19/09
I'm with you on the wine gabinator, melatonin is not working well for me. I'll be trying valerian and chamomille tonight.
flateyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

As far as coconut milk is concerned, there is the real kind that is sold in cans and is mostly fat (coconut oil) and it has been around forever and is a total thai food staple, and then there is this new kind in cartons, in the refrigerated milk section. The brand is "So Delicious". I think it is just a watered down verson of real coconut milk. I bought the unsweetened yesterday. 50 cal. per cup. Tastes really gross plain, but is fine to add a little fat, and creaminess to shakes without any sugar. I experimented, however, and really prefer the unsweetened almond milk flavor and it is 40 cal per cup.
This mornings shake had about 1/2 cup of each, leftover cold decaf coffee, Jay robb vanilla, cocoa powder and a dash of da vinci vanilla, all blended with ice. Best shake yet.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #149
KOO

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Hi, I'd like to jump in here and give this a shot for a couple of days to see if I can work it.
I have some questions if someone is available to answer them. I bought some Jay Rob vanilla protein powder and I think I need two scoops. Now a serving on the canister says one scoop is a serving so with this plan I do two servings at a time. Do I mix it as it says and then add the HWC? Any help is appreciated.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOO View Post
Hi, I'd like to jump in here and give this a shot for a couple of days to see if I can work it.
I have some questions if someone is available to answer them. I bought some Jay Rob vanilla protein powder and I think I need two scoops. Now a serving on the canister says one scoop is a serving so with this plan I do two servings at a time. Do I mix it as it says and then add the HWC? Any help is appreciated.
Yes mix the two scoops and add the HWC. Good luck!