Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
I too, have been a semi-lowcarber for a long time. I came to this plan straight from JUDDD which involves fairly dramatic calorie cycling. I lost about 18 lbs over a 3 month period, then went for about 2 months just maintaining with a way less strict version of juddd (lots of off plan days). I did a strict week of juddd the week prior to starting this woe, while I waited for my book to arrive. I came into this plan at my lowest weight I have been at in over 20 years. I have lost 2.5 lbs in 3 days. I know this will probably not continue at THAT pace, but I do feel like the strictness of the plan, and the lack of any alcohol or caffeine are all good things for me to do, FOR A WHILE. What I like about this plan is that it isn't intended to be a lifelong thing, but something you can do for brief intervals, if weight starts to creep up. My plan is to switch back to the juddd and come up with a calorie level for my down days that will allow me to maintain.
I do think what Blood Sugar 101 is saying is definitely true, but I think for many of us doing this, we are mostly long term dieters just looking for a change-up and boost to what we already know works, but often leads to burn-out and stalls. I have no delusions that I am going to drop 20 lbs, but would just be able to lose a little more than my usual 1 lb per week by being really strict for a few weeks.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
Wow, everyone is doing so great! Thank you all for sharing your past experiences and knowledge.

I weighed and took my measurements today, I'll update my blog with the stats either tomorrow or Monday, when I have more time.

I had a shake this a.m. but did have a Cobb Salad for lunch and plan on having steak, cauliflower puree and asparagus for dinner .

Take care all
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
i do shakes periodically when my digestion really bothers me. they are homemade and pretty high in cals. during those times i eat an evening meal.
i am a long term lc'er and always lose during that time.

the eades plan is much less calories so i'm sure there'll be some losses. hopefully, this'll help jumpstart some stalls.
i also think the strictness may help to break binge cycles.

i'll be watching.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 14days
WOE: INTERMITTENT FASTING
which brand of whey?.....did the book suggest?
14days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
I got an unplanned opportunity to test my theory yesterday. I came down with an intense feverish cold and ate almost nothing but chicken soup, lots of tea, a piece of whole wheat toast and an orange.

I woke up down 2.5 lbs today--139.2 lbs.

So that is what a single day of mostly fluid intake did for me. I doubt I'm going to be eating a lot more today as I feel wretched, feverish and can't taste anything. I'll be curious to see how much more weight I lose.

I also will be gaining all that weight back as soon as I eat something with mass rather than fluid.

BTW in a discussion of this book in the comment section of my blog someone posted that whey protein powder raises insulin secretion dramatically--more than skim milk. Interesting.

Last edited by Blood Sugar 101; 09-20-2009 at 04:49 AM..
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 133, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14days View Post
which brand of whey?.....did the book suggest?
No brand suggested. Pick one that has:

* a minimum of 8 grams protein per scoop
* no more than 2 or 3 grams carb per scoop
* no aspartame

Use one to three scoops per shake based on your current weight.

* one scoop if you weigh less than 130
* two scoops if you weigh 131-180
* three scoops if you weigh more than 180

There are different kinds of protein powder... not all of them made from whey. I bought a whey protein because I don't eat soy products. I also looked for one that contained enough l-leucine that I didn't have to buy more to supplement (although I will have to once I drop down to one scoop).

I bought my PP at Wally World for $11 (for 2#). I think it will be enough to get me through the first 2 week phase. I got a can of coconut milk (first one) and really like it in the shakes. I use half heavy cream and half coconut milk (1 TBS each). I've stopped putting ice in it... I like it better without. It's easier to just drink it down this way. I also picked up a bottle of Enova (DAG) oil at my local grocery store. It's no more expensive than a cheap EVOO so I thought I'd try it. Can't hurt, right? I'm not putting it in my shakes, though... I'm using it on salads in place of EVOO. It has a very light flavor.

Looking forward to getting back to M-F. Weekends are much harder with family around. Not impossible, just harder.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #97
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Bloodsugar,
sorry you got ill. Hope you recover soon. That is an interesting comment on your blog. protein powder has been around so long with body builders, weight loss, etc, I still feel pretty good about using it.

Tril,
thanks for that outline.

Day 2 for me. Yesterday was a breeze. I have a shake at 10:30 ( always eat breakfast at 10:30 for years) another shake at 2:00, dinner at 5:ish and my last shake before bed time.

I did not suffer from any hunger. I did "want something" but thats not hunger. I told myself it would pass and it did.

I am not weighing daily.

Happy Sunday!

I think I will make a low carb meatloaf and mashed cauliflower for dinner.

Wonder what everyone else is eating?
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
I am back to 152. Ate a big dinner last night of: 1 smoked pork sparerib, salad, grilled
mexican cheese, halibut with macadamia nut crust.
I had my first grass-fed organic beef steak friday night. Delicious, but a little more tough than the usual steaks I buy. Had that with roasted cauliflower tossed in middle east spices.

I bought a few bags of frozen organic berries at trader joes yesterday for my shakes and desserts. Looking forward to those.

I hope everyone is doing well!
Today is day 6. Down 2 lbs.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathieinut
Stats: restart 209.6/162/145
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restart (4th time around) 5/18/09
BS 101
Interesting that you are getting to test your theory so soon. Sorry for the reason. Hope the cold is gone asap. I have a hard time when I am sick picking foods to eat because the ones that "make me feel better" are so carby like toast, crackers, soup (although I could make some that isn't high in carbs if I am sick I just don't usually feel much like cooking), OJ and on and on.

I haven't read the book but I think this is a temporary woe and it isn't designed for "weight loss" but fat loss and that means inches. Even if you didn't loose a pound you are losing the visceral fat and that is the goal...or maybe I am wrong?
Remind Myself...Being thin is better than anything else tastes right now!
Current: 162 down 43.6 from re-start

Exercise this week: Mon,Tue,Wed,Thus, Fri, Sat off , Sun
Cathieinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

"Wonder what everyone else is eating?"

Sirloin strips with mushrooms, spinach, baby romaine salad w/vinaigrette.
Cajun shrimp on mixed greens salad with vinaigrette.
Steak on the grill with zucchini & summer squash, mixed greens with vinaigrette.

Tonight...

Andouille sausage with sauteed cabbage.

I'm not choosing to eat the allowed fruit or starch. I'd rather have more low carb veggies instead.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
"Wonder what everyone else is eating?"

Sirloin strips with mushrooms, spinach, baby romaine salad w/vinaigrette.
Cajun shrimp on mixed greens salad with vinaigrette.
Steak on the grill with zucchini & summer squash, mixed greens with vinaigrette.

Tonight...

Andouille sausage with sauteed cabbage.

I'm not choosing to eat the allowed fruit or starch. I'd rather have more low carb veggies instead.
Thanks Tril. Your menu is a keeper!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Cathie... I'm viewing it as a temporary WOE as well. 6 weeks and that's it. If it helps whittle my middle-aged middle, then it will have done what I wanted it to. It seems to take many more lost pounds these days to see a difference in my middle. My face and butt get too thin before my middle gets smaller. If this plan can tip the balance back a bit... it would be AWESOME.

Also... I don't see how you can lose inches of fat and not lose a few pounds as well. So far I'm losing both. 6# in three days and my hip bones have returned.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #103

You are beautiful Tril!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #104
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post
I got an unplanned opportunity to test my theory yesterday. I came down with an intense feverish cold and ate almost nothing but chicken soup, lots of tea, a piece of whole wheat toast and an orange.

So that is what a single day of mostly fluid intake did for me. I doubt I'm going to be eating a lot more today as I feel wretched, feverish and can't taste anything. I'll be curious to see how much more weight I lose.

I also will be gaining all that weight back as soon as I eat something with mass rather than fluid.

BTW in a discussion of this book in the comment section of my blog someone posted that whey protein powder raises insulin secretion dramatically--more than skim milk. Interesting.
I hope you're feeling better.

What you did yesterday has no relation to the nutrition on this plan. I have no doubt you will regain the water weight you lost. But, hey, it is just water weight.

I have followed the stall-breaker plan from Protein Power in the past which consists of one meal and two protein shakes. This was followed for only three days per the Eades suggestion. I always lost on it & never once gained that back. There is a lot of solid research supporting the use of quality whey protein powders.

If you're really interested I suggest you read the book rather than attack it with no real knowledge of it. Stop by a book store and sit down with it there or get it from a library.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 09-20-2009 at 09:58 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
I haven't read the book but I think this is a temporary woe and it isn't designed for "weight loss" but fat loss and that means inches.
In the book the Eades even state this is a temporary plan.

And, yes, it is a fat loss plan not a scale weight loss one. Too many people obsess over the scale and completely miss the idea of real fat loss when leads to inches lost.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
Cathie... I'm viewing it as a temporary WOE as well. 6 weeks and that's it. If it helps whittle my middle-aged middle, then it will have done what I wanted it to. It seems to take many more lost pounds these days to see a difference in my middle. My face and butt get too thin before my middle gets smaller. If this plan can tip the balance back a bit... it would be AWESOME.

Also... I don't see how you can lose inches of fat and not lose a few pounds as well. So far I'm losing both. 6# in three days and my hip bones have returned.
I've known people who lost a lot of inches--as many as three sizes--without losing a single pound on the scale.

Be sure to take the measurements the Eades suggest in the book. I am puzzled by the fact they don't suggest more measurements. More than the middle will decrease.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post

Hope you are feeling better! Bloodsugar I always appreciate your input and I know that you are well educated on many health related topics especially insulin since you are diabetic.

I just do not know why you feel the need to come to a board and criticize the plan and people who are using it to make a positive change. If you do not like the plan then quit visiting the board. We are simply trying to do something good for ourselves and should not have to defend in to you or anyone else. There are soooooooo many people on these boards who are successful and use protein powders. My gosh have you ever looked at the fitness threads etc. I am just tired of the negativity. If you don't approve of what we are doing fine, you are entitled to your opinion but I don't appreciate negativity over and over and over. Yes, I have crept up slightly from my goal but I am taking it back off and it has been a battle for me to get back to eating right. This has finally gotten my head back into the game, I am back off of caffeine, as always I am exercising and I feel good. I just do not need to come to this thread where we are supporting one another to find you and your comments about how ignorant we all are for eating this way. I am a highly educated woman who can decide without help what is appropriate for me and my health.

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #108

I really enjoyed the way the Eades explained the metabolic changes in the book and how the plan actually works. I'd never read such a good, clear explanation backed up by real science before.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #109

For what it's worth, I was reading a thread over at Dr Eades web site.

An admin posted that the Eades designed this as a jump start program and also, not as a life program like their Protein Power plan. I think that is how many of us feel about this program.

fyi

I added a lot more ice today to my shake and it took a long time to eat it. I had to use a spoon. So that need to chew was replaced I guess. I am also skipping berries like Tril mentioned.

Hope all of you are doing well on it.

PS: Anyone using ******? I had 1200ish calories, 22 carbs yesterday. I am using ****** to keep an eye out.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Stevie... sounds like you're doing well! I read on his blog comments that the average calorie intake is around 1350 and carbs are 30g per day for the first two weeks. So you're slightly under. Have you had all the shakes today? If not, that 3rd one would put you closer... personally, I have a hard time with the last one. Dr Eades even said he mostly had 2 shakes and one meal. I found that interesting. He said they were concerned that if they made the plan 2 shakes and one meal, that people would be afraid they'd be overly hungry (not enough food). That's why I don't worry if I only get two shakes and one meal in. If it's ok for a man... it's ok for me. LOL

Tril
ps... thank you so much for the compliment!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 14days
WOE: INTERMITTENT FASTING
thanks tril!! what does he suggest for maintainance?......sorry i cant aford the book at this moment!!
14days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhonda in Phx
Stats: 296.6/279.6/140
Start Date: 8/2002
For the past 2 to 3 years occasionally I have had some a very sharp pain underneath my right breast. It is sporadic and only when I am bending over. I read on Dr. Eades blog something about a fatty liver and started doing a little research. Decided to buy the book and give it a try. I so desperately want to "feel" better and have some energy.

I started yesterday morning, after blowing it and having a glass of ice tea. No more tea for the day and did my first shake. With my weight as high as it I had 3 scoops of protein powder. That brought the total calories for 1 shake to 540. Can anyone share with me where they found the calories that were quoted above?

Quote:
I read on his blog comments that the average calorie intake is around 1350 and carbs are 30g per day for the first two weeks
Day 2, down 1 pound and no more tea. I have had a headache and nauseous all day, but I am determined. I look forward to hearing everyone’s results and thoughts.

By the way, I made the lemon chicken in the 6 week book and it is pretty yummy!
Rhonda in Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #113

Tril,
I skipped my third shake as the day just went too fast and now its almost bed time.

Rhonda,
I think that calorie suggestion was for a person who was very close to goal. So he commented on her calories and protein amount. But I am not 100% sure. He also told her that he recommended this...between 1250 and 1500 calories. And it is enough to forestall starvation.

Well another day for the history books. I am having no caffeine withdrawls so thats a plus.

Hope everyone was successful today.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda in Phx View Post
For the past 2 to 3 years occasionally I have had some a very sharp pain underneath my right breast. It is sporadic and only when I am bending over. I read on Dr. Eades blog something about a fatty liver and started doing a little research. Decided to buy the book and give it a try. I so desperately want to "feel" better and have some energy.

I started yesterday morning, after blowing it and having a glass of ice tea. No more tea for the day and did my first shake. With my weight as high as it I had 3 scoops of protein powder. That brought the total calories for 1 shake to 540. Can anyone share with me where they found the calories that were quoted above?

Day 2, down 1 pound and no more tea. I have had a headache and nauseous all day, but I am determined. I look forward to hearing everyone’s results and thoughts.

By the way, I made the lemon chicken in the 6 week book and it is pretty yummy!
Lemon chicken? Was it easy to make? I made a huge casserole of cooked cauliflower and greenbeans for my vegetable choice this week. I topped it off with black olives. Kinda like faux mash potatoes.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

From Dr. Eades' blog on his website. He's answering questions...

"Q: I’m so glad to hear that you’re kicking off a 6Week blog and thank you for your generosity answering questions here.

I’m kicking off day 4 and have to say that my blood sugar has been on the floor since I started- I’m cranky, shaky, and dumb (keep forgetting things, etc). I’m young- ish (34), healthy (ideal blood pressure and cholesterol numbers), and have about 10 lbs to lose. I’ve lost about a pound a day- so make that 7 lbs.

I’m a big fan of your work and have been following the cleanse to the letter (in other words, I’m not looking to complain or fail, I’m really committed to following through)- but I can’t stumble around, starving, in a fog for 2 weeks- help! What should I do?

What is the science behind so few calories in the first 2 weeks? Doesn’t that kind of deprivation give your body famine signals and shut down the metabolism?

A: With so little to lose, you may have to crank up your protein and fat (ie your calories) to be able to sufficiently support your blood sugar. An additional scoop of protein, for instance, and a bit more cream or coconut milk in your shakes. A slightly larger portion of meat at your meal than your weight would predict. A couple of weeks, with low calories but plenty of fat and protein for feeding you at the ‘cellular level’ shouldn’t be enough to trigger starvation responses. The number of calories a day in the first two weeks obviously varies with the size of the person doing it, but appears to come in somewhere between about 1250 and 1500 for most people, which is enough to forestall ’starvation.’"

1350 is what another person on the Eades' message board said they told her to consume the first two weeks. She was also told to go up to 1500 for weeks 3 and 4.

Calorie intake is going to vary. It has to. If you're using three scoops of powder and I'm using 1.5, right off the bat you'll be getting double the calories from the PP than me. But that's ok. I need less, you need more. Just follow the recipe for the shakes (measure everything) and follow the guidelines for your one meal (use the food substitution list at the back of the book to get the correct serving size of what you want to eat). Make sure your choices come from the list.

Also... double check that your protein powder meets the criteria (not more than 2 or 3 carbs per scoop, esp).

Last edited by Tril; 09-21-2009 at 04:23 AM..
Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14days View Post
thanks tril!! what does he suggest for maintainance?......sorry i cant aford the book at this moment!!
Let's see... not a LOT on maintenance, it seems.

Suggestions from the book if you meet your goal in 6 weeks:

Continue using the week 5 & 6 meals to create your own menus.
Stick to lower sugar fruits and lower starch veggies.
Add calories by either increasing calorie dense but low carb foods (recommended) or by slightly increasing your carbs with more fruits/veggies and possibly grains.
Another option is to alternate daily between weeks 5 & 6 and weeks 1 & 2 (meals one day, 3+1 the next).

They say it's been their experience that "most" people can maintain on 60 - 80 net grams carb per day. If you keep your meals <20 each you can do this and still have room for a snack or two. The more active you are, the more carbs you can have and not gain. They basically say, if you want to eat more, move more.

14days... I didn't want to buy the book either. I got it from my library instead! My library is part of a state-wide system... I can borrow from any library in the system. The book is shipped to my library, they call and I go pick it up. I got this book in less than 48 hours from the time I requested it online.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Week 1 Day 1

Hello All,

Well I made it through Week 0 and I am officially caffeine free... my only mess up, was I ordered an Ice Coffee at lunch on Friday, without even thinking its was such a habit, it wasn't until my first couple of sips that I
hit myself in the head...

Glad so see very one staying on track and I hope to have a loss to report on Sunday!

I also started a workout program this week. Its very rehabilitative, especially for us middle aged middle folks. I am doing the T-Tapp basic WO +.

Here's to a great week
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
Start Date: 5/26/06
I am following the plan quite easily. I made it through the weekend which is a major accomplishment for me. It seems like I have not had a totally clean eating weekend in a very long time. I too find it hard to get in a third shake. I have been adding an egg to my morning shake and I stay full until mid afternoon. As for dinner last night pork loin kabobs with spinach salad and vinegar and oil dressing....YUM!

Have a great and successful day!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhonda in Phx
Stats: 296.6/279.6/140
Start Date: 8/2002
Stevie - the lemon chicken was really easy and oh so good. I started marinating it on Saturday afternoon and cooked it after church on Sunday afternoon.

Down 4 more this morning for a total of 5 pounds but still feeling the effects of no caffine. I am so thankful that I started this on a weekend and not a work day. Probably would not have been very functioning!

Have a great day everyone!
Rhonda in Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Homestretch, great job over the weekend and thanks for some great posts on this thread.

I noticed a few people posting about calories and I am a little concerned myself.. since I am starting above the 180 mark 3 scoops of protein powder starts me at 330 calories, add an egg 70 calories, tsp enova 40. Tblsp coconut milk 35 .. so roughly 475 per shake @ 3 shakes 1425 and then add my meal say another 400 calories... well that puts me at 1825...if I round that up to 1900...for extras.. like cream in my coffee...

Well I guess its not as bad as I originally thought... my resting metabolism burns roughly 1500 calories a day, so adding in my activity I should still be okay...