Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #871
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lovemygrands
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restarted 5-5-14 at 192 pounds
What would you think the right percentages would be for fat/protein/carbs...... and then number of calories.

I looked at my ****** yesterday and it said I ate 1470 calories with:

85 g fat (53%)
142g protein (40%)
22.6 carb (6%)

I know I'm doing something wrong because I am not losing (but I'm not gaining) Do you use ******? How can the fat grams be lower than the protein grams but the percentages be the opposite?
lovemygrands is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #872
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FlyNavyWife
Stats: Current: 133 lbs / Goal: 120 lbs
WOE: Primal
It's because 1 gram of fat has 9 calories, while 1 gram of protein has 4 calories (and 1 gram of carbs has 4 calories just like protein). The percentage is percentage of calories. So it makes perfect sense.

On a regular day, I'm at LEAST 50% from fat, sometimes up to 60 or 70 percent. I try to keep carbs low but there's only so much protein you can eat in a day (of real food).
Anyway, your numbers look good to me. How much do you weigh now? I see 185/174/135 in your info but don't know what that means. Is 135 your goal or where you are now?

If you're 174 you should be doing well to lose soon. If you're 135 you might have to cut calories a little more or exercise a bit more. Long slow exercise like a long walk or long casual bike ride though, not short intense cardio or anything like that. Weight lifting or body-weight exercises (like push ups, pull ups, etc) are good too.

Also think about stress on your body... intense cardio will be stressful for your body and increase cortisol. Not getting enough sleep does the same thing, and so does being stressed about work or life situations. Cortisol makes it really tough to lose weight so make sure you're not taxing yourself too hard and that you get enough sleep.

Make sure you stay away from caffeine and alcohol and also limit salt in your food at this point.

You also said before you were confused about how to log things (I think that was you) or you had mixed something up.... double-check your numbers and make sure you understand how to use ******, because if you THINK you're getting 1470 calories but you're really getting several hundred more (or less) you could be slowing your progress.
FlyNavyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #873
Senior LCF Member

PS your job "self-employed legal transcriptionist" sounds like probably a lot of sitting still. Definitely try to get in a walk at lunchtime and/or before or after you start work. Maybe do some pushups when you get to a good stopping point, etc. Small things add up.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #874
Major LCF Poster!

Dear FlyNavyWife, thanks for all the help. I wish I was at 135, but that is my goal. I started at 185 and lost the 10 pounds on first-two week Atkins induction. Then finally lost another one but it has "reappeared", so I am at 175 for almost a month.

It has taken me a good 6-8 months to recover from my colon resection surgery I had last October. Before that I was sick for so long I just got no exercise at all (and of course my work is sitting). When I decided to try to get this weight off I bought an exercise DVD (Jillian Michaels from Biggest Loser), and I could not even do a sit-up much less a jumping jack. Very depressing. I started the moderate walking but then came down with the shingles plus pneumona. I am still walking but not a lot of energy for anything else.

These boards are helpful, but the more you read, everything just seems to contradict itself. Once I know what numbers I need to shoot for on these percentages, I am a very disciplined person and will see it through. I think I have just changed around so much my body is saying........WHAT???

I tried ********* and it was easier (but don't think as accurate). ****** is confusing because it doesn't subtract fiber from the carbs to get the net carbs. My husband says I analyze everything to death, but he should be used to it by now -- we've been married for 43 years!

I like the shakes for convenience, so I'm thinking I may keep when I go back to Atkins. Sometimes I just don't have the time and energy to plan out a meal and keep up with all those numbers.

Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #875
Senior LCF Member

I hope I'm actually helping you...
Congrats on 10 pounds in two weeks. That's awesome!

It does sound like you have a lot of stress in your life with the surgery and being sick and such. Take care of yourself - make sure your body has what it needs, get plenty of sleep, and keep walking, and I think you'll do fine. Weight loss is secondary to overall health of course so you need to focus on getting well first.

As far as specific numbers to aim for, here's what I do:

Protein: at least half a gram for every pound of lean body weight. So if you have a body fat percentage of 35% (you'll have to find one of the calculators and take some measurements for an estimate) you have 114 pounds of lean body mass. So make sure you get at least 57g of protein a day or so. (Though I usually aim for at least 60)

Carbs: Keep them low and make sure they come mostly from vegetables. Limit fruit and berries are best when you do eat it. Don't eat grains/bread/flour/sugar/pasta/rice if you can avoid it. Under 60g a day is what I aim for in day to day life (which is pretty easy if you keep to the outline I wrote here. It's hard to eat 60g of carbs just from veggies!) but for weight loss I'm aiming for under 20g a day.

Fat: be liberal with it in day-to-day life. Don't worry about counting it, just make sure it's the right kind. EVOO and coconut oil are great for cooking, avocados and nuts are healthy fat, fish especially is great. Soy/canola oils are gross and also avoid trans fats and anything that says hydrogenated oil or partially hydrogenated. Fat from conventionally farmed meat isn't as good as grassfed (by a long shot). For weight loss, I typically cut this back a little bit just to get total calories down, but I do still cook with oils (just measuring instead of dumping) and butter, but this is where you can play with amounts a bit more.

I hope that helps to guide you in what/how much to eat. I was confused about it before too, but when I came up with this little "formula" things got easier. And don't worry - I'm an analyst too so I understand the "neurosis" haha.

To recap:

Protein: just make sure you get at least 60g or so a day. If you're trying to lose weight, still get 60g but don't go too high, to keep calories in check.

Carbs: Keep them low. For weight loss this means only from veggies and maybe some berries.

Fat: Get enough good fats to feel satiated, but for weight loss cut back a little bit on it to get calories down. Still being around 50% or even higher is FINE. Fat is what makes you feel full, and it's a necessary part of your physiology so don't cut back TOO much.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #876
Senior LCF Member

So I thought maybe my protein powder got here because I had an amazon package on my doorstep... but...
false alarm. It was my new cutting board and baking pans.

I think it will get here tomorrow though. According to the shipping tracker it was about 3 hours away from me as of this morning, so my guess is it's in my post office now waiting to be sorted and delivered.

First shake will be the vanilla praline + a little pumpkin puree + pumpkin pie spice. OH YUM. Second one will probably be the chocolate shake + decaf coffee...mmmmm. Both with coconut milk of course.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #877
Major LCF Poster!

I think a light bulb has come on! Can't thank you enough.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #878
Senior LCF Member

You're so welcome. Glad I could help!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #879
Senior LCF Member

Ugh, I'm getting all sorts of mail that ISN'T protein powder. haha. I ordered some desks from Target last week and the UPS man just brought them by.

Also? Much hotter UPS guy than where I used to live. Definitely fits the UPS man stereotype. haha. The last place I lived I couldn't even tell if it was a man or just a butch woman. Finally I discovered he was a man when I learned his name right before I moved - mystery solved, so I didn't have to keep wondering.

Dinner tonight is rotisserie chicken breast and 6 "pepper poppers"... jalapeno pepper halves filled with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. OH YUM. They are in the oven now baking.

And grandma, since you're a numbers hound, my meal will be:
60g of protein (40%)
4.2g of carbs (2%)
40g of fat (57%)
630 calories

I might have some raspberries later if I feel like "dessert" so that will raise the calories and carbs a bit, but not too much.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #880
Senior LCF Member

No raspberries because I'm more thirsty than anything else...
Been drinking tons of water. I think it might be due to:
1) Ketosis. I tested with ketostix today and I'm at the second-darkest color. Yay!
2) Not eating as much vegetable matter, so not getting as much water from food.

Has anyone else experienced this intense thirst?

And why has everyone but me and grandma seemingly abandoned this thread? Did you complete all 6 weeks? How'd it go? Or did you fizzle out and decide to stop?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #881
Senior LCF Member

I've been drinking more water as well. As for completion.....we're not even into week 2 yet!
Low-Carb Chicklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #882
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Carb Chicklady View Post
I've been drinking more water as well. As for completion.....we're not even into week 2 yet!
How's it been going? Seeing any changes?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #883
Major LCF Poster!

FlyNavyWife -- I was thinking the same thing....where did everyone go? I check with the Ketostix a few times a week and it shows up every day still, but it is light purple. From what I've read any color is fine. Someone said if it is darker purple, need to drink more water. Maybe that's why you were thirsty.

Oh, FINALLY, FINALLY my scale moved 2 pounds. I reweighed a dozen times to be sure I saw it right, but there it was beautiful 173!!! Maybe I am "unstuck" and will continue going down. I haven't put everything in ****** for yesterday yet, but all I ate was 2 shakes and meal of my version of taco salad. About 1 cup shredded lettuce topped with 1/2 cup cook ground beef seasoned for tacos, little shredded cheese, small amount of tomatoes, black olives, homemade ranch dressing (made with Hidden Valley mix and HWC). Really, the only thing I have missed eating is enchiladas (my favorite) so this was the next best thing.

I did try something new (maybe not correct in the this plan), but instead of one shake in the morning with 2 scoops and 2 TBL HWC, I did one with one scoop and 1 TBL HWC early and then had another with the 1 scoop and 1 TBL HWC around 10:00. Then at 2:00 had the regular 2 scoop one. I usually drink a shake at night after supper, but didn't feel hungry last night, so just didn't.

FlyNavyWife -- hope your PP comes today!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #884
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations on your two pounds!!! That is awesome.
I loooove taco salad. I don't put ranch on it though. I just top it with some sour cream and possibly some salsa. So good.

Pretty sure the PP will come in the mail today! I'm excited. Yum. That designer whey stuff is good isn't it? The vanilla praline flavor is really nice.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #885
Senior LCF Member

"November 4, 2009 05:35:00 AM VISALIA CA US Out for delivery"
From the post site.
YAY! It got to the next town over from us, and should be in my mail TODAY!

So I know I said I was all excited about the pumpkin vanilla shake... but... then I though... what if I make it with COFFEE instead of water. Then it would be like a pumpkin latte shake. OMG.
Totally going to do that. I have some decaf already brewed waiting in my fridge (I will heat it up though).
Old 11-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #886
Major LCF Poster!

FlyNavyWife -- been going to ask you, what do you eat on a Primal diet?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #887
Senior LCF Member

Check out Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple for a good starting point to learn more about the lifestyle and How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple for the food. I do eat some dairy but keep it full-fat now and try not to overindulge.

Basically - meat, veggies (keeping starchy ones like beets and potatoes to a rarity), some fruits but mostly berries for fruit, full fat dairy... nuts, seeds

No - grains (corn/oats/bread/pasta/rice/etc), legumes (including peanuts and soy), vegetable oils, lowfat dairy, junk

Keep it as unprocessed as possible (obviously protein shakes aren't really primal. heh.) and eat wild/grassfed/pastured meat when possible.

I rarely drink alcohol but when I do it's red wine (just a glass or two) or even more rarely a rum and diet coke (no carbs in rum). I've had maybe 10 glasses of wine and 4 rum and diet cokes in the past YEAR.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #888
Senior LCF Member

OK I have been very very patient but now I'm getting impatient...
It was "out for delivery" this morning so why isn't it here? It's 1pm!!! UPS MAN WHERE ARE YOU????
WTH? Just, WTH?
I mean... I've already "lost" 3 days of shakes... come already!!!

(To clarify, when I ordered the PP it said shipping in 2-3 days so I thought it'd get here Monday or Tuesday at the latest, otherwise I would've upgraded my shipping option. Evidently they meant 2-3 days until it left their facility. Ugh.)
Old 11-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #889
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KarmicWhimsy
WOE: generic low carb
Hey, I'm still here!

I got knocked off plan a bit. My boyfriend broke our engagement (and moved away), last Monday my 14 year old doberman died, and yesterday my only child moved halfway across the country to get treatment for his agoraphobia. So I'm a teeny bit stressed, LOL.

I only had about 3 "bad" meals - pizza, enchiladas, and sushi - so I didn't gain any weight, but I didn't take any off either! Still holding steady, and my jeans are definitely looser.

Yesterday I started over with Week 1...
KarmicWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #890
Senior LCF Member

Wow it sounds like your life took a downturn for a minute there... I'm sorry to hear about your losses.
But we are glad to have you back!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #891
Senior LCF Member

PP Update (yeah I know y'all probably don't care as much as I do, but... haha):
I called UPS and asked them about it. The girl said that if it said "out for delivery" it WILL be shipped TODAY, sometime before 8pm. So I'm thinking maybe I'll go ahead and have my meat meal really soon and then have a shake for "dinner"... I am getting a bit hungry seeing as how I've been fasting for about 22 hours now.
Maybe I'll wait another hour or so to see if it comes and then start cooking if not.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #892
Major LCF Poster!

Diane -- my gosh, that's a lot of stress all at one time. Sorry to hear about all that. Stress always makes me crave Mexican food. (I had taco salad last night) Hope you get to feeling better soon.

When did you start 6WC? It seems like the posts have slowed down so much, for those of us just beginning it's hard to get a feel for this. This is my 7th day. I have been completely stuck at the same weight for more than a month, but FINALLY this morning two pounds disappeared. I hope that's the start of a trend.

I like the shakes so this week has been easy and next week will be. I'm worried a little about the meat week. I'm not that much of a meat person, so I don't know about two weeks of that. We'll see.

FlyNavyWife - my fingers are crossed for you to see that UPS guy soon!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #893
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
I'm also here but been busy...lovmygrands don't worry too much about the meat week, you can have a protein shake for one of the meals.

I can't fit meat in during the day as my schedule is stupid busy so use the shakes for lunch and still holding steady. haven't dropped but then "aunt flo" is about to arrive so not worried.
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #894
Junior LCF Member

Thanks guys! Yes, I also crave Mexican food when I'm stressed. I love it...

Let's see, I started the 6 Week plan on Oct 5th, so that's about 4 weeks ago. All this stressful stuff began happening right around when the meat weeks were supposed to start, but I wasn't organized enough to pull it off. So it's been 3 shakes and a meal.

I think I've manage to pull myself together, so I'm starting from scratch. I have lost about 12 lbs since the end of September, some of that during this plan...
Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #895
Senior LCF Member

UPS man came at 6:00. Cutting it close to his 8pm deadline, eh? heh.

So now I'm sipping my pumpkin latte "shake"... not as amazing as I had been dreaming about, but pretty darned good. Though now I feel all hot. Probably should've done a cold one. hehe.

2 cups decaf coffee (hot)
1 scoop vanilla praline PP
2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
2 Tbsp coconut milk
pumpkin pie spices

I guess you could blend in ice cubes and do it with the coffee cold if you wanted an iced pumpkin latte drink.

Grandma and Karmic, how did your days go as far as food/shakes/whatever goes?

(And lovemygrands do you mind that I call you grandma? it seems more fitting than "love". hehe)
Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #896
Junior LCF Member

I love the 3 shakes and a meal.

Mine are very basic. I just use 2 scoops of chocolate Designer Whey, 2 TB of organic coconut milk and about 4 oz of cold water. Shake it up in my shaker. Stick in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Shake it up again, and chug it.

Boring, I know, but to me the shakes are like putting gas in my car, LOL.

As far as the one meal a day goes, I have some sort of meat, and a salad and some veggies. I have no control when I eat cheese, so I stay away from it. I rarely eat fruit - too much sugar for me!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #897
Senior LCF Member

Hehe it sounds like you're really mechanical about your food ... I have a real passion for food and cooking so everything has to be exciting for me. Sometimes that backfires - sometimes I wish I could spoon out a bowl of "people chow" and eat it and be satisfied and not think about it anymore...
but I really do love the process, so... I roll with it. hehe.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #898
Junior LCF Member

I love to eat, and I LOVE to eat out, but cooking? Not so much. I do appreciate other people's cooking!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #899
Senior LCF Member

Haha you and I would get along great then. I could cook all sorts of amazing things and you could eat it with me so I don't have to eat it all.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #900
Major LCF Poster!

Did fine on the shakes but waited too late on my meal and didn't really want to cook anything. Ended up stir-frying some peppers, mushrooms, and onions in butter, then thought I'd just throw in the left over taco meat. Well, I ate it but I have to say it won't be a meal I repeat. I'm trying to get the fat % more than the protein % so I added sour cream.

FlyNavyWife -- see how these numbers look: (all this math is making me dizzy)

Calories were 1,164 and net carbs were 19.7
Fat 56%
Protein 37%
Carbs 7%

Oh, and my name is Phyllis but my grandkids call me Meeme, so I answer to either one. Can I call you something other than FlyNavyWife? Your latte sounded good except I don't like pumpkin. I think I might make one tomorrow with decaf coffee -- hadn't thought of that. I always make the Chocolate, but I do have some Vanilla PP too.

I NEVER thought I could give up coffee this easily. I have always drank coffee every day and couldn't imagine not having it. I haven't drank any decaf because I didn't want to go buy it if I was going to be able to have coffee after next week, but since it hasn't bothered me to give up the caffeine, I think I'll go ahead and buy some decaf.