Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
I wonder...looks like for my weight I need 2 scoops. Could I use 1 scoop and have more shakes? In the end, I am having the same required protein.
True... if you do this, be sure to use half the HWC or other fat added to the shakes. That way you're truly getting just half in each one.
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Well, cant say I am real impressed with the book.....but some of the recipes sound good. Not upset that I bought it.....just not turning back flips!!! Dr. Eades wrote a book way before Protein Power called...I think.... something like.....THIN SO FAST. Anyway he used alot of Protein drinks in it also. I use to have that book....I will have to look for it...although it may have taken wings long ago. My Magic Bullet blender went poof....to make a long story short....a wall plug in oil leaked down into it and the plastic thingy......disintergrated!!!!!! I really dont want to pay $50.00 for another one...but Kohls has them on sale for that this week....so I guess I will bite the bullet and get one. Ebay is alittle cheaper....but by the time you pay shipping...not really. I found a used one on craigslist for $20.00....but the lady lives 80 miles from here and will not ship...... so what the heck...gotta do what you gotta do.

Vicki
Old 09-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
Well, cant say I am real impressed with the book.....but some of the recipes sound good. Not upset that I bought it.....just not turning back flips!!! Dr. Eades wrote a book way before Protein Power called...I think.... something like.....THIN SO FAST. Anyway he used alot of Protein drinks in it also. I use to have that book....I will have to look for it...although it may have taken wings long ago. My Magic Bullet blender went poof....to make a long story short....a wall plug in oil leaked down into it and the plastic thingy......disintergrated!!!!!! I really dont want to pay $50.00 for another one...but Kohls has them on sale for that this week....so I guess I will bite the bullet and get one. Ebay is alittle cheaper....but by the time you pay shipping...not really. I found a used one on craigslist for $20.00....but the lady lives 80 miles from here and will not ship...... so what the heck...gotta do what you gotta do.

Vicki
Can you just use a regular old blender?

I have never read any book by the Ead's so I cannot gage how this compares. Thats very interesting the Eads wrote that book using shakes.
My husband drinks shakes all the time as he lifts weights and n eeds the extra protein. He never blends..he uses a forks and quickly drinks his shake. lol..He said its all about the fuel not the enjoyment. lol
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
**Vicki** I hated my magic bullet so I replaced it with an inexpensive blender and I love it. If you don't want to drop 50 on the MB go to Wal-mart and pick up a blender.

Are all of you adding the HWC to your shakes? I am but from reading the posts I wasn't sure if everyone was or not. I also added an egg this morning. I am eating mine late and figured it will be both breakfast and lunch for me. Is everyone following his exact meals for their one meal a day? We typically eat grilled meat, salad, veggies anyway so I really do not want to prepare his meals. They sound good but who has the time?

Yesterday was a "trial" day for me. I had to be in the city all day and I just packed my PP and took it with me to mix with water. I was not hungry. When I got home last night at about 10 I had two california rolls which I know had rice but I was just so darn tired and picked up sushi for dinner. Other than those I had plain tuna and shrimp and it was good. I looked all over St. Louis for Dag oil and did not find it. I did not have time to go to GNC and get my l-leucine is everyone else adding it in or just having what is already in the shakes?

I am so anxious to see results because I am ready to lose this weight I have gained! I need my jeans to fit comfortably so that I can wear them when the weather gets cool and we are almost there!!!! Right now I can wear them but they are too snug for my liking lol!

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
I have a VERY OLD big blender in the storage shed....and yes, I guess I could use it at home (although it would mean dragging it in and out again....my counter is way to small to leave it out). But, I want to take it to work with me and that would just be a big pain to haul back and forth to work....... The Bullet is a good size for that. I liked mine. It worked great grinding my flax seed for the dog and the few shakes I have made turned out good.

Vicki
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #66

Home,
I plan on using the cream. I am reluctant to try the egg. Raw right? My mind is not wrapping around that at all.

Vickie,
I hear ya about counter space. I would just bite the bullet - no pun intened - and buy a new one. Its so handy.

I wanted to share with you all the protein powder we use.

Name: Dymatize Nutrition, All Natural Elite Whey protein. Low carb(4), 24 grams of protein per scoop and is sweetend by Stevia. No aspartime, sucrose, fillers, malodextrin. It has a very nice vanilla flavor.

Snaggle,
I love the idea of cocoa powder in it. Good one. I am nit sure about the carb milk. We used to have that stuff here but no more.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathieinut
Stats: restart 209.6/162/145
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restart (4th time around) 5/18/09
I have found Enova in most grocery stores around here in Utah.
It is kind of pricey at $5+ for about a quart or so. I am not doing the woe right now but I needed a quick breaky today so I did a shake with about 1/4 c hwc, about 1/8 c blueberries, two scoops of PP that does have the lutien (not sure how much) some ice and water. I didn't know what kind of proportions to use but it was good and I am sure I will be fine until lunchtime
Cathieinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

I'm not adding the l-leucine yet. There's enough in the two scoops of protein powder for me to reach what I need. Once I drop down to one scoop (only 3.5# away) I'll need to supplement it.

I haven't looked for the DAG/Enova oil. I like using HWC or coconut milk. I know they don't do the same thing (regarding weight loss), but I don't plan to do these shakes longer than two weeks. For those you using DAG... remember, only substitute the oil for one shake a day (about a TBS). The other shakes you should use something else he said.

RE: blenders. I bought a $12 one at Wally World and it's working great. I had one of those smaller ones that mixes a shake right in the container you drink it out of. I went to get another one of those (I lost the cover to mine, threw the base out and then found the cover... OF COURSE) but the blender was cheaper. Again, since I don't plan to keep drinking these shakes (any longer than I have to) I didn't want to invest a lot of money in a blender.

RE: protein powder.... I got Super Advanced Whey Protein in vanilla. 2# container for about $11 at WalMart. It was on sale, down from $15. It has everything it's supposed to have... 3 g of carb or less per scoop (it has 3), at least 15g protein per scoop (it has 26g), and no aspartame. Plus it has l-leucine (3.49g per 2 scoops) so I don't have to buy extra. Taste-wise... it's protein powder. I'm getting used to it.

Homestretch... I'm with you on the jeans. Just last week I had to buy one size larger. Sigh. It's in the 40's here at night and I just couldn't force myself into jeans I couldn't breathe in.... btdt. So I bit the bullet and bought one pair a size larger, much as I hated to. Oh well... they'll make a good contribution to Goodwilll soon! About the meals... no, I'm not eating exactly the ones in the book. I don't do fruit so I'm not eating it during this. I'm having a large portion of protein (sirloin last night) and low carb veggies (more than 1 cup like in his meal suggestion because that's all the carbs I'm eating). Tonight will be spicy grilled shrimp on a large salad... unless it's raining and then I'll do a spicy shrimp stir-fry instead.

RE: the eggs... I'm not putting them in my shakes. It freaks me out and I don't have any pasteurized eggs anyway. I'm cooking my eggs (frying in butter). It's the cholesterol in the eggs we need so I'm barely cooking the whites and eating them that way. It helps with my "need to feed" that the shakes just don't do for me.

Glad to have a place to talk about this!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
Glad to have a place to talk about this!!!
I agree

I am also going to try and do a picture - week by week - to see how I change.

How much does everyone have to lose - or want to lose?

I would love 15 pounds but realistically I am thinking 8.

Maybe I will blog .lol

Q: How do I get the blog link at the right under avatar to appear?

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 09-18-2009 at 01:36 PM..
Old 09-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
JUst got the book, want to get started, but need to do a little more reading, i like the idea of shakes i used to do them quite a lot a few years ago, i like them for something quick.
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

"Maybe I will blog .lol

Q: How do I get the blog link at the right under avatar to appear?"

Go to your User Control Panel. There's a "blog" choice at the bottom on the left. Click on "Blog"... then the first choice will be "your blog". Click on that and a window will open for your first blog entry. Once you make your first blog entry it will show up as a clickable link under your avatar.

Last edited by Tril; 09-18-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Old 09-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #72

Quote:
"Maybe I will blog .lol

Q: How do I get the blog link at the right under avatar to appear?"

Go to your User Control Panel. There's a "blog" choice at the bottom on the left. Click on "Blog"... then the first choice will be "your blog". Click on that and a window will open for your first blog entry. Once you make your first blog entry it will show up as a clickable link under your avatar.
I tried...must be me..lol..I cannot get it to do that. I did a blog and it shows preview. I said update and it did not do it.

Oh well.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Try it again... in this order:

User Control Panel (first item in the bar at the top of this page)
Blog (lower left, last on control panel)
Your Blog (first choice in the blog control panel)
Post to your blog (2nd choice in options)... this should open a window for you to post a blog entry!

Hope it works!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #74

Quote:
Try it again... in this order:

User Control Panel (first item in the bar at the top of this page)
Blog (lower left, last on control panel)
Your Blog (first choice in the blog control panel)
Post to your blog (2nd choice in options)... this should open a window for you to post a blog entry!

Hope it works!
Thanks Tril! I actually had to post a comment to get to come up. Maybe blogging will help me be accountable. I did two shakes, weak coffee, water. Tonight I am having red wine, steak, shrooms. I am not starting until tomorrow.

How you doin?! I posted a before picture at current status. But..I was 240ish..I am just trying to lose my sloppy eats fat gain before I turn 46 in November.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

I was just looking at some of the shakes that I had on hand. It looks like we could use the commercially prepared Atkins shakes or the EAS low carb shakes if we needed to in a pinch. Just thought I would share because they are handy to take places.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #76

Gallery: La Bruja
Stats: 201/188/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2009
Hi gang!

I'm thinking about joining you all in trying this plan - do you think I can do it without buying the book?

I got the gist of the shakes part of the plan from earlier posts here and on the Eades' blog, but I'm wondering about the meal. Is it just your basic meat with a salad or veggies?

Also, are there any rules about quantities of meat or veg? Or rules about exactly how many carbs a day?

I'm not gonna lie, I'd love to speed up my weight loss, but I'm also intrigued by how easy this sounds as far as shopping and preparation. My fall grad school classes start up on Tuesday, and it would be great to only have to plan, shop for, and cook one meal a day.....
La Bruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Hey Stevie... glad you got your blog up and working!!! I had to check out your pictures, too!

HS.... the canned shakes fit the criteria?!? Sweet! We go to our camp (log cabin) a lot this time of year and we don't have electricity there. If I could bring ready made shakes, that would make it possible to stay on plan... although by the time we go I may be in week 3 or 4. Either way, it's good to know!

La B.... I didn't buy the book. I borrowed it from my library. Since I only plan to do this for 6 weeks, I didn't want to buy the book. If I can't renew it I'll just write down the rules for the rest of the weeks I have left.

There ARE rules on the amount of veggies. The meals for weeks 1 & 2 aren't your typical low carb meals... they contain fruit and or a grain/starchy vegetable. Since I was already doing low carb I didn't go backward and add the fruit/starch. I just have double the veggies (you get one cup in most meals). The first two weeks are low calorie and seems to settle around 30g carb a day which includes the shakes. The next two weeks are higher calorie, lower carb (no more than 20 g a day). The last two weeks I haven't looked at yet.

I'm doing good... feeling VERY lethargic and sleepy, and my stomach isn't quite "right"... but the weight is coming off. In two days I've lost 5.5#. 4 the first day and 1.5 yesterday. My head is feeling slightly less like I'm hungover. Figures. DH made a full pot of rich dark REGULAR coffee this morning. He's been gone for work so he hasn't been around... and doesn't know I've cut out caffeine (only planned to do that for the first two weeks). I think I'll get half a cup and add hot water... that will make my serving half the caffeine.

Dinner last night was great. I really appreciate my food now that I've gone two days without much of it. LOL I made cajun shrimp on salad. The shrimp I cooked in EVOO/butter with cajun spice. Mmmmmm mmmmm.

The weekend is going to be tough. Good luck everyone!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
I'm curious how much of that initial weight loss is simply the loss of the weight of food in your intestines.

I always lose 3 or 4 pounds if I get the runs, which come back as soon as I eat a few meals.

Since you've replaced two meals with shakes where there is essentially no weight--the water is removed by the kidney, you'd expect to see a loss equivalent to the weight of the foods you replaced.

Any thoughts here?
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #79
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post
I'm curious how much of that initial weight loss is simply the loss of the weight of food in your intestines.

I always lose 3 or 4 pounds if I get the runs, which come back as soon as I eat a few meals.

Since you've replaced two meals with shakes where there is essentially no weight--the water is removed by the kidney, you'd expect to see a loss equivalent to the weight of the foods you replaced.

Any thoughts here?
I don't know but I can't see what it would matter. The fat loss and inches lost is the goal. The scale weight really is not important.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bruja View Post
Hi gang!

I'm thinking about joining you all in trying this plan - do you think I can do it without buying the book?

I got the gist of the shakes part of the plan from earlier posts here and on the Eades' blog, but I'm wondering about the meal. Is it just your basic meat with a salad or veggies?

Also, are there any rules about quantities of meat or veg? Or rules about exactly how many carbs a day?

I'm not gonna lie, I'd love to speed up my weight loss, but I'm also intrigued by how easy this sounds as far as shopping and preparation. My fall grad school classes start up on Tuesday, and it would be great to only have to plan, shop for, and cook one meal a day.....
I think you can do this without the book. You can pretty much get the guidelines from this thread. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
I was just looking at some of the shakes that I had on hand. It looks like we could use the commercially prepared Atkins shakes or the EAS low carb shakes if we needed to in a pinch. Just thought I would share because they are handy to take places.
Sorry my mistake you would probably have to drink 2 of the EAS shakes to meet the protein requirement and the Atkins shake only has 15g of protein per shake so that would not work unless you poured a scoop of powder in with it.....now that is a thought though!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flateyeball
Stats: 195.5/193/185
Start Date: 09/19/09
Hi
I just started today. 195 lbs.
I think I ate a whole weeks worth of food yesterday as if I had to load up for 6 weeks. My plan is to cut the fluff and just mix 2 cups of PP with 2 cups of water and be done with it.
flateyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Today is day 3 for me. I like this plan. It is very similar to the plan I used to be a part of here on the boards called the Atkins Shake Routine. That helped me reach goal. I actually have energy today and am in a good mood. The last 2 days I have felt like a Zombie. Of course my schedule was out of whack with me being in the hospital with my BIL off an on. I am off of caffeine. I just went cold turkey. I am not off of Tylenol. It is full force allergy season and I have terrible allergies (I take nose spray and Allegra) which cause headaches. I just cannot walk around with a throbbing headache. I will try switching to aspirin but I don't have any right now. I am hopeful for the first time in a long time and that is nice!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I don't know but I can't see what it would matter. The fat loss and inches lost is the goal. The scale weight really is not important.
You will lose significant inches if nothing is in your gut, but it will come back as soon as you eat normally. This is the same kind of issue as the water weight lost via glucogen early in a very low carb diet which also makes for a major "Inches" loss that disappears for many when they get to maintenance levels.

I really hope the people posting on this thread will post 12 weeks after starting this regimen so we can get a better idea of how permanent the weight loss might be.

Mind you I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just a tad suspicious of any miracle weight loss fix, having seen brilliant, educated people who post here stall even when they try all the various techniques and suggestions.

My guess is that this diet like all LC diets is going to produce dramatic results for virgin LC dieters, early on--any LC diet will--but wouldn't be all that useful for those of us who have accustomed our bodies to weight loss and a lower carb intake.

I'd love to be wrong here.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #85
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
You will lose significant inches if nothing is in your gut, but it will come back as soon as you eat normally. This is the same kind of issue as the water weight lost via glucogen early in a very low carb diet which also makes for a major "Inches" loss that disappears for many when they get to maintenance levels.

I really hope the people posting on this thread will post 12 weeks after starting this regimen so we can get a better idea of how permanent the weight loss might be.

Mind you I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just a tad suspicious of any miracle weight loss fix, having seen brilliant, educated people who post here stall even when they try all the various techniques and suggestions.

My guess is that this diet like all LC diets is going to produce dramatic results for virgin LC dieters, early on--any LC diet will--but wouldn't be all that useful for those of us who have accustomed our bodies to weight loss and a lower carb intake.

You're suggesting there is no fat loss? Just water/bloat?

The Drs. Eades consistently base their plans on science. This one is no different.

They designed this plan for themselves and saw results. They were anything but "virgin LC dieters."

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 09-19-2009 at 09:13 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flateyeball View Post
Hi
I just started today. 195 lbs.
I think I ate a whole weeks worth of food yesterday as if I had to load up for 6 weeks. My plan is to cut the fluff and just mix 2 cups of PP with 2 cups of water and be done with it.
I am not doing the supplements in my shakes because I think I am getting enough without adding. Don't forget that fat helps to burn fat which is why they included the HWC in the shakes. There is a whole section on fat in the book. However, whichever way you choose to do the plan....good luck!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #87

Today is my first real day. I ate like a queen last night and am still full this morning.

My mind set is to take this day by day. I am not going to worry about tomorrow. My shakes taste good without any added fruit or diet soda. I also don't drink any food dyes anymore. I get wicked stomach aches so I cannot doctor the shakes up. I am just using the allowed heavy cream, ice, water.

I have an aggressive fall goal to get some weight off and pass these holidays without a gain. Hear that? No gain for the holidays. No candy, no crap. I have done it before, I can do it again.

I am not taking any addtl supplements, my coffee is diluted at this point, I will blog when I can and take photoa. I will weigh here and there also.

I am going to go blog my current measurements to see how I fair on this.

PS: I dont have the book. I ordered it and then canceled it. I hope to rent it.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #88

Quote:
Today is day 3 for me. I like this plan. It is very similar to the plan I used to be a part of here on the boards called the Atkins Shake Routine. That helped me reach goal. I actually have energy today and am in a good mood. The last 2 days I have felt like a Zombie. Of course my schedule was out of whack with me being in the hospital with my BIL off an on. I am off of caffeine. I just went cold turkey. I am not off of Tylenol. It is full force allergy season and I have terrible allergies (I take nose spray and Allegra) which cause headaches. I just cannot walk around with a throbbing headache. I will try switching to aspirin but I don't have any right now. I am hopeful for the first time in a long time and that is nice!
What are your meals looking like? I am proud of your cold turkey on the caffeine.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sorry my mistake you would probably have to drink 2 of the EAS shakes to meet the protein requirement and the Atkins shake only has 15g of protein per shake so that would not work unless you poured a scoop of powder in with it.....now that is a thought though!
It would work if you're only using ONE scoop per shake, though! The requirement is 15g per scoop. So the Atkins shake might be okay in a pinch!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Well... I've been low carbing since November of '04. My highest adult wt (well before low carbing) was 225. I started the 6WC on Thursday of this week (2 days ago) at 139.5. This morning I weighed 134. My body is certainly accustomed to eating low carb... yet I'm getting terrific results. Personally, I think it's the lower calories that's making the biggest difference. I'm probably getting MORE carbs eating this way.

Whether or not this (or any other diet) works long term doesn't have anything to do with the diet... it has everything to do with what the person eats AFTER the weight loss. If you continue along as the book(s) suggest, you'll maintain your loss. If you don't, you won't. There's no such thing as permanent weight loss without permanent dietary changes.