Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #841
Senior LCF Member

Can we split up a meal if we can't finish it when we made it?
Low-Carb Chicklady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2009, 07:04 AM   #842
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovemygrands
WOE: Meeme's Ever-Evolving LC Plan
Start Date: 9-22-09
Hello. I am new here and having a hard time figureing out how to "maneuver" these boards. So, I'm just jumping in at the end of the thread I'm interested in. Hope that's okay.

I have been reading this thread for a couple of days now in hopes that trying this for six weeks will break my stall. I started Atkins 9-22-09 at 185 and lost 10 pounds. Since then I've lost nothing. I've stayed under the 20 net carbs every day and don't believe I've eaten anything I shouldn't. I don't want to get discouraged because I have 40 pounds to go. I lost lots of weight years ago but health reasons kept me in bed for about five years and I gained it all back. I had colon resection surgery last year so healthwise I'm doing great (except for this weight). It didn't help that a week into starting Atkins again I came down with shingles/pneumonia. Didn't mean to write a book but wanted to do a little background. I'm drinking about 60 oz of water daily and just walking in my house for now until I feel better.

The very first low carb diet I tried was Dr. Eades Thin So Fast (Yeah, I'm a 61-yo grandma!). It worked great. It's very similar to this and so I know I can do this.

Right now I can't afford to go buy another book, so I'm trying to learn the plan from reading you guys. I started yesterday and had two shakes (Designer's Whey Chocolate)and then a meal of chicken breast (shredded), green pepper, onion stir fried in butter. That's all plus my water. My only other problem is I didn't have HWC. I need to use up the H&H I put in my coffee so I substituted that. Without the book I don't know if that is a killer for this plan or not, but can't let the H&H go to waste!

If I've posted this in the wrong place, please just let me know. I like this group. I have been over on the Atkins Website Board but there are so many ideas floating at the same time it makes my head spin and not the friendliest board.
lovemygrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #843
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Carb Chicklady View Post
Can we split up a meal if we can't finish it when we made it?
Well not 100% sure but when I could not finish a meal, I put in the fridge for the next day. I didn't push it. I think our tummies shrink!
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #844

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygrands View Post
Hello. I am new here and having a hard time figureing out how to "maneuver" these boards. So, I'm just jumping in at the end of the thread I'm interested in. Hope that's okay.

I have been reading this thread for a couple of days now in hopes that trying this for six weeks will break my stall. I started Atkins 9-22-09 at 185 and lost 10 pounds. Since then I've lost nothing. I've stayed under the 20 net carbs every day and don't believe I've eaten anything I shouldn't. I don't want to get discouraged because I have 40 pounds to go. I lost lots of weight years ago but health reasons kept me in bed for about five years and I gained it all back. I had colon resection surgery last year so healthwise I'm doing great (except for this weight). It didn't help that a week into starting Atkins again I came down with shingles/pneumonia. Didn't mean to write a book but wanted to do a little background. I'm drinking about 60 oz of water daily and just walking in my house for now until I feel better.

The very first low carb diet I tried was Dr. Eades Thin So Fast (Yeah, I'm a 61-yo grandma!). It worked great. It's very similar to this and so I know I can do this.

Right now I can't afford to go buy another book, so I'm trying to learn the plan from reading you guys. I started yesterday and had two shakes (Designer's Whey Chocolate)and then a meal of chicken breast (shredded), green pepper, onion stir fried in butter. That's all plus my water. My only other problem is I didn't have HWC. I need to use up the H&H I put in my coffee so I substituted that. Without the book I don't know if that is a killer for this plan or not, but can't let the H&H go to waste!

If I've posted this in the wrong place, please just let me know. I like this group. I have been over on the Atkins Website Board but there are so many ideas floating at the same time it makes my head spin and not the friendliest board.
I was at 240ish pounds in 2000 and got stalled forever in the 180's, so I know that number and that frustration. Hang in there. This plan will break the stall and then you can decided if you want to go back to Atkins or whatever.

If you use ****** or some type of food program, its possible the half & half could be too carby. Look at your numbers by days end. I know that if you use h&h instead of cream, hmmm..maybe pushing it. Can you freeze h&h? I am not sure.

I did not buy the book...I just winged it. And don't forget, you can do 3 shakes if you need it. I found that if I did my meal as a latelunch, it held best. Play around with it. See if dinner is better or lunch or breakfast. Listen to your body.

Welcome to LCF

So heres me today...I am doing 2 shakes today but we are cooking 15 bean soup and pea soup for a party tonight! I will have 1 bowl. Its so dang dood. lol...no bread however.

I start my intense walking program ( check the exer4cise board if ya want join!) and doing water aerobics, laps.

I have 23 days till I turn OLDER. hehehehe - Age is just a number, right?

PS: Hi to all!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #845
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to the store later today and will stock up on HWC. I did my shake this morning with H&H but I'm calling this a "Preview" and will officially start tomorrow when I have everything I need. Oh, btw I failed to mention I had two cups of "real" coffee this morning. I plan to stop that tomorrow, but am still taking hydrocodone/acetaminophen for the shingles pain, so hope that doesn't have caffeine in it. Maybe that hydrocodone will help with the headache I know I'm going to have from caffeine withdrawal -- I love my coffee, two cups every morning and usually one in the afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for putting so much information in this thread so that those of us who can't buy the book now can still get started.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #846

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to the store later today and will stock up on HWC. I did my shake this morning with H&H but I'm calling this a "Preview" and will officially start tomorrow when I have everything I need. Oh, btw I failed to mention I had two cups of "real" coffee this morning. I plan to stop that tomorrow, but am still taking hydrocodone/acetaminophen for the shingles pain, so hope that doesn't have caffeine in it. Maybe that hydrocodone will help with the headache I know I'm going to have from caffeine withdrawal -- I love my coffee, two cups every morning and usually one in the afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for putting so much information in this thread so that those of us who can't buy the book now can still get started.
Is it Excedrin? Sorry, I am not sure. I think that has caffiene.
I am not giving up coffee these next two weeks but I only drink 8 ounces and sometimes only 4 ounces. I add mostly hot water to a small cup ( not a big cup.) and I just "top it off" with coffee. Not enough for me to buy any decaf. But! I wont drink Diet Cokes. I will drink Diet Rootbeer.lol.. I know its not perfect but oh well.

I look forward tomy pumpkin shakes this coming week
Old 10-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #847
Senior LCF Member

No, hydrocodone is a prescription painkiller I am having to take for the continued nerve pain from these horrible shingles. I have cut the amount way down, but not able to stop taking them entirely.

I was wondering if I could get by with just one cup of coffee per day. I could live with that. I want to do this plan right, but I really hate decaf coffee. How long have you been doing this 6WC and can you tell the caffiene interferes with it?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #848
Senior LCF Member

Cutting out the caffeine is supposed to give your liver a break
Old 10-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #849
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
No, hydrocodone is a prescription painkiller I am having to take for the continued nerve pain from these horrible shingles. I have cut the amount way down, but not able to stop taking them entirely.

I was wondering if I could get by with just one cup of coffee per day. I could live with that. I want to do this plan right, but I really hate decaf coffee. How long have you been doing this 6WC and can you tell the caffiene interferes with it?
Hi and welcome,

you are only supposed to cut out coffee completely for the first 2 weeks, after that you can add in 1-2 cups per day but only with 1 tbsp HWC if you want it.

I'm not a big fan of decaf either but did do similar to Stevie Renee and made 1/2 caf with hot water, but then I also only manage to drink about 3 oz per day
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #850
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fire27503
Stats: 157/136/125
Start Date: Restart date: Feb. 25, 2013
[QUOTE=NGJ26;12477744]I have the book and it is 3 shakes and 1 Meal.

The shakes are basic:

1-3 scoops WHEY POWDER (based on your current weight)
2 TBLS HWC or Coconut Milk
3/4 cup water & ice

SO WHAT IS HWC??? IS IT HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM?

Last edited by fire27503; 10-31-2009 at 01:56 PM..
fire27503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #851
Senior LCF Member

[quote=fire27503;12683177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
I have the book and it is 3 shakes and 1 Meal.

The shakes are basic:

1-3 scoops WHEY POWDER (based on your current weight)
2 TBLS HWC or Coconut Milk
3/4 cup water & ice

SO WHAT IS HWC??? IS IT HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM?
yep
Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #852
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fire27503
Stats: 157/136/125
Start Date: Restart date: Feb. 25, 2013
Great . Thanks
fire27503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #853
Senior LCF Member

Went to the store and bought more protein powder. I like the Designer's Whey Chocolate and they had Double Chocolate - same carb count. I like the shakes, so that part is easy. Also got the HWC. I really don't add anything to that. I just put a couple of pieces of ice with water and run it through my Magic Bullet. I bought that thing years ago and it has sat in pantry unused. I discovered one day it works great on the shakes. Only thing I'm worried about is the caffeine. I'm going to try no coffee in the morning.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #854
Senior LCF Member

so how was everyone's hallowe'en? I caved and had 5 of the small chocolate bars :blush: and I felt like cr@p after the last one. it was real good the rest of the day though, protein and fat, little bit of veggie.

today it's back on a shake for breaky and then protein the rest of the day.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #855
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FlyNavyWife
Stats: Current: 133 lbs / Goal: 120 lbs
WOE: Primal
Hey there.
I'm gonna go ahead and jump in if I may...

I'm already eating low-carb, doing the Primal thing (grain free, no soy/legumes, lots of delicious fat and protein, etc). But I have a couple extra inches around my middle I'd like to lose.

My husband is out of town for 2 weeks so I think I'm going to do a made-up-version of 6wc on myself, but only for these 2 weeks, then go back to our regular low-carb way of eating when he gets back.

I ordered protein powder and it should get here Tuesday or so. I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow but not holding my breath. Wish I had timed my order better...

Going to try 2-3 shakes + 1 meal a day.
My shakes might include a little bit of carbs in the form of pumpkin puree or frozen raspberries (I bought both yesterday) but my meals will be mostly meat. I have a little bit of mushrooms and some onions, and don't really plan to stock up on veggies beyond that.

I have lots of meat though... a whole chicken, some ground beef which I divided into 4oz packages in my freezer (1 for each meal), pork loin if I decide to make that, some brisket, etc. Not sure how much of it I'll actually eat in these 2 weeks. haha.

Dairy is dangerous for me (by which I mean I go overboard), so I didn't buy any HWC. Instead I'll be using coconut milk in the shakes. No egg since I eat a lot of red meat. I'm also not taking any additional supplements beyond the fish oil that I usually take.
The only dairy I have right now is some whole, fresh mozzarella. That's easy for me to enjoy in moderation so I might have a piece or two each day if I want them (they're small, no carbs, lots of fat and protein).

Right now I'm babysitting for a family (for another week) full-time at their house, so I'll be eating my breakfast (and when my PP comes, my morning shake) at home, then bringing my lunch (or afternoon shake) with me. It'll be easy to stick with it because most of their food is processed junk OR "fiber-rich whole grains" I wouldn't really want to eat anyway. So I expect things will go smoothly.

Now if that wasn't a long enough introduction... eek. Just sort of wanted to do an introduction and let y'all know I'm not REALLY doing 6wc, just a sort of version for 2 weeks. Hope that's ok!

PS My goal with this is to lose a few pounds (5+ would be NICE) and hopefully a couple inches off my waist. I have a lot of cute pants I can't fit into anymore (just barely) which I'd love to wear this winter.
FlyNavyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #856
Senior LCF Member

PPS I rarely drink alcohol (especially not alone) and never drink caffeine if I can avoid it, so those things will be easy for me too. I also hardly ever take any medications...

but I do have a question. Are allergy medications okay? I occasionally take Allegra and Singulair when my sinuses start feeling gunky, usually just for a day or two until it clears up.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #857
Senior LCF Member

I survived no coffee!!

Well, it didn't kill me to give up my coffee, so that's good. I did get very dizzy and ill feeling this afternoon, but I don't think it had to do with the lack of caffeine. I have been doing the shakes and one meal for a few days and still haven't lost any weight. I decided to enter what I was eating into ********* and I coudln't believe the numbers. I'm only eating around 600 calories. It seemed like more but I think you're just not hungry doing this plan and it seems like you're eating more than you are. Anyway, I guess I know now a Low Calorie diet won't work for me .... my body just thinks I'm starving!

Today I did the shakes correctly with the HWC and had a big meal at lunch (two big hamburger patties with vegetables sauteed in butter and a huge salad). I'll finish out the day with shakes. I am feeling so much better since I ate. I sure hope that scale moves tomorrow!

Flynavywife: I can't answer your questions because I don't have the book. Just now trying to do this myself. But I wish you luck.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #858
Senior LCF Member

Dang, 600 calories a day? No wonder you were dizzy! I don't get how you can have 3 shakes and a meal and still be at 600 calories though... With my shakes alone (3 a day plus 1oz of coconut milk to each) I'll be at nearly 500 calories... were you not adding any fat to your shakes? Or ... what was your meal? I'm totally confused.

2 big hamburger patties with buttered veggies and huge salad sounds really really good. Glad you had a good meal.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #859
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, it didn't kill me to give up my coffee, so that's good. I did get very dizzy and ill feeling this afternoon, but I don't think it had to do with the lack of caffeine. I have been doing the shakes and one meal for a few days and still haven't lost any weight. I decided to enter what I was eating into ********* and I coudln't believe the numbers. I'm only eating around 600 calories.
lovemygrands are you using 2 scoops of protein powder and adding an egg? if you do this plus the HWC or coconut milk you should be getting more calories than 600

I don't believe this is to be a VL calorie diet and we certainly don't want you to get dizzy!
just leafing through the book and he also mentions to remember to take some salt in the form of pickles or adding salt to your food, especially if you feel lightheaded!

Last edited by maile; 11-01-2009 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: thought of something
Old 11-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #860
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavyWife View Post

but I do have a question. Are allergy medications okay? I occasionally take Allegra and Singulair when my sinuses start feeling gunky, usually just for a day or two until it clears up.
The book says to not take any medications unless "deemed necessary by your physician", so I continued taking my thyroid meds but dropped all others (mostly NSAIDS) the choice would be yours.

keep in mind the first two weeks are to help drop weight but they are also a liver cleanse as well which is why there is a proscription against the meds.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #861
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile View Post
The book says to not take any medications unless "deemed necessary by your physician", so I continued taking my thyroid meds but dropped all others (mostly NSAIDS) the choice would be yours.
Okay, I won't take them... I just had seen that some people were saying things like, "oh I can't take ibuprofen so I guess I'll get some Asprin" so I thought maybe there was a list of OK and not OK meds. I'll just not take them though... I don't use them that often anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile View Post
keep in mind the first two weeks are to help drop weight but they are also a liver cleanse as well which is why there is a proscription against the meds.
Yup, I got that. No worries. I'm just trying to do a more strict (lower-carb) version of the first 2 weeks, since that's all the time I have while hubs is away (he loves his 3 meals a day, and I tend to eat more when he's around).
Old 11-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #862
Senior LCF Member

Goofed on *********

I think my problem is in the program *********. I just looked at it and the numbers for the shakes aren't the same as on the can. I think I try out the ****** and see if I can maneuver it out better.

When I just added today on paper with my "big" meal and 3 shakes I am at 1700 calories and feeling much better.

Does anyone know if the book states how many calories we should eat this first week. I know the carb number, but not sure on the other percentages or grams.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 AM   #863
Senior LCF Member

Question about 6WC

I think I am finally on track now. The shakes have way more calories than I was counting, especially with the HWC. I think I have it right now.

But I am wondering if someone could check their book and see in Weeks 1 and 2 how many calories they recommend? Also, I think I read around 30 net carbs. Do they happen to mention percentages to shoot for on fat/protein/carbs? I'm a little concerned about the carb count because I've been on Atkins Induction for about 5 weeks, so I've been trying to stay around 20 net carbs. But since I'm stalled, maybe upping the carbs to 30 will help.

I know this is probably in the earlier posts, but I am so brain foggy from no caffeine that I just can't seem to find it.

Thanks!!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #864
Senior LCF Member

No PP in the mail today.

Today I IFed all day and will be eating some chicken with onions and mushrooms for dinner. Yum! IF was because yesterday I ate kinda way too much... so ... yeah.

Hope my PP comes soon. I have pumpkin puree in the fridge waiting to become part of a vanilla praline/pumpkin/spice (possibly made w/chai tea) shake... and I have lots of extracts purchased for making shakes more exciting. Chocolate shake w/mint extract? or Chocolate w/banana would be good!
Man, I hope it comes tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #865
Senior LCF Member

Hope your PP comes soon. It stinks getting all psyched up to do something, then have to wait.

I like doing these shakes, but I sure couldn't afford to stay on it too long. I've been getting the Designer's Whey Chocolate (cause it tastes good) and it's 12.99 a can at Wal-Mart. There might be some cheaper, but I like the taste of these and don't want to add a bunch of stuff (too lazy)
Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #866
Senior LCF Member

I'm getting the Designer Whey too... two flavors - vanilla praline and some sort of peanut/chocolate/caramel one. But I ordered from amazon. Probably should've just checked walmart I guess.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 AM   #867
Senior LCF Member

I started doing this 10-29-09 but don't have the book, so I realized I wasn't doing it right. Was using Half & Half and also drinking caffeine. So I'm officially started 11-1-09. My scale hasn't moved yet, but I am definitely smaller. I was able to zip my jeans without laying down on my back to zip them! That's progress, I'll take it.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #868
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I started doing this 10-29-09 but don't have the book, so I realized I wasn't doing it right. Was using Half & Half and also drinking caffeine. So I'm officially started 11-1-09. My scale hasn't moved yet, but I am definitely smaller. I was able to zip my jeans without laying down on my back to zip them! That's progress, I'll take it.
That's so great that your body composition already seems to be changing! Keep it up.

Also, cross your fingers for me that my protein powder gets here today. I think it's more likely to come tomorrow but dangit I want it now!
Today I'm not eating breakfast, will bring some chicken with me for lunch while I babysit, and dinner will probably be more chicken maybe with some sauteed onion and some raspberries for dessert (like 12, not a ton).
Old 11-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #869
Senior LCF Member

I just wish that darn scale would move. That's why I started the 6 Week Cure -- to break a stall. Been on Atkins Induction for 5 weeks prior to this, so maybe since I was already eating so low carb, it's just not going to kick that scale number down. At least my jeans fit. Surely the pounds will follow. This morning I tried one scoop of PP instead of two. I think my protein percentage is too high. Really need to buy the book, but just need to wait on that. Have you read the book?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #870
Senior LCF Member

I haven't read the book and don't plan to since I'm not actually "following the plan" you know?
Basically I am just taking advantage of my husband being out of town to do a sort of formulaic high-protein high-fat low-carb calorie restriction thing. I think the shakes + meal will be a good way to go about that, but until my PP gets here I'm just doing mostly meat.

I have already been eating low-carb too (though not induction level like you) but this is even lower for me so I do anticipate seeing some changes.

Being low carb alone won't make you lose weight typically though... you need to combine it with a caloric deficit so that your body will actually burn stored body fat.