Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #781
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitecontrary View Post
Hi, everybody!

I just got the book and I'm going to get started tomorrow. I half tried for a while from reading the posts here, but I felt I needed to read the book and get a proper start armed with more knowledge about the plan!

It's great to be here! Oh, and by the way. . .Hi, Moonius!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2009, 06:58 AM   #782
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
HEEELLLOO Everybody! I am still here and hanging pretty strong. I am so proud of this group and see we have some newbies! I just haven't had the time to give you all the personal attention you deserve. I hope to spend some more time with you all soon!

Take care,
Hey Natasha! Glad to see you are still here. I am in the same boat as you and haven't had as much time to post but am still on plan.
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #783
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
quitecontrary,

KarmicWhimsy,
I buy mine at the dollar store. Works just fine...fyi.

DD,
not sure if we are going. I did learn to ski in Lake Ponchatrain and enjoyed New Orleans, Mamout LA very much. I hope we go. Its a blessing you are going for such a great mission.

Babsy,
I am clueless about insulin. Pls take good care of yourself

I feel a little better about the parent drama but on Tuesday, we shall see if that lady reacts. UGH.

I did my morning meal in the am and it did not work very well for me. Set off hunger.

Plan:
shake, shake, meal, shake
Meal is roasted chicken and cauliflower cooked with cheese, green beans, white pepper & black olives. 1 serving.

Off to power walk before it gets too hot.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #784
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
I think I have a conclusion for the 6week cure for me-5# lost, 3.5 inches abd fat measuring lying down. So that is pretty good for doing it imperfectly-couldn't find any leucine. I still am off caffiene, and stopped alcohol years ago, so my liver should be happy.
I think I will try this again in January, fullly prepared to be more strict. Meanwhile, I am doing the shakes every morning, and one meal in afternoon, as Dr. Johnson suggested as one of his followup plans. Will see where it goes.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #785
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Louise_1967
WOE: Low carb
omg....
I wasn't weighing myself bcuz I didn't want to get discouraged but I did this morning......16 lbs gone in 2 weeks of shake shake shake, meal!!! I love this!!!
Not even hungry.
Louise_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #786
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
"...and this morning I woke up with my sugar 170. I know its still high, but for not taking any insulin, it looks like it just might be goin down. I will not take insulin today either."

Why?!?

because, like I said, it looks like it is going down.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #787
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise_1967 View Post
omg....
I wasn't weighing myself bcuz I didn't want to get discouraged but I did this morning......16 lbs gone in 2 weeks of shake shake shake, meal!!! I love this!!!
Not even hungry.

That is fantastic!

Good on you
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #788
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise_1967 View Post
omg....
Not even hungry.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #789

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
I think I have a conclusion for the 6week cure for me-5# lost, 3.5 inches abd fat measuring lying down. So that is pretty good for doing it imperfectly-couldn't find any leucine. I still am off caffiene, and stopped alcohol years ago, so my liver should be happy.
I think I will try this again in January, fullly prepared to be more strict. Meanwhile, I am doing the shakes every morning, and one meal in afternoon, as Dr. Johnson suggested as one of his followup plans. Will see where it goes.
That's great inches lost results!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
DD,
not sure if we are going. I did learn to ski in Lake Ponchatrain and enjoyed New Orleans, Mamout LA very much. I hope we go. Its a blessing you are going for such a great mission.
I hope you get to go, too.

It's going to be fun, too. Our group is a lot smaller than planned. A lot of people could not go.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #791
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABSY View Post
because, like I said, it looks like it is going down.
Going down isn't the same as being down. A morning reading of 170 is very high (not in relation to what yours has been, but in relation to what it should be). I simply wouldn't want to risk the damage high BS will do to my body, that's all. And I was surprised that you didn't seem concerned enough about it to take your insulin. It's your choice, obviously. I was just surprised, that's all.

Last edited by Tril; 10-16-2009 at 03:49 PM..
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #792
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Wow Louise-that is great!
Just had a breakthrough for shakes-flavorless whey protein powder+chicken boullion or broth=soup that is pretty good, put in 1 tsp heavy whipping cream. Thinking I could do the same thing with some blended tomatoes+soda+protein+1 tsp heavy cream=cream of tomato; close to 100-150 cals for both of them, very little carb. I think I could get a lot of mileage out of these-my head would think I had supper. Could also use the shiritake noodles?
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #793
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just had a breakthrough for shakes-flavorless whey protein powder+chicken boullion or broth=soup that is pretty good, put in 1 tsp heavy whipping cream. Thinking I could do the same thing with some blended tomatoes+soda+protein+1 tsp heavy cream=cream of tomato; close to 100-150 cals for both of them, very little carb. I think I could get a lot of mileage out of these-my head would think I had supper. Could also use the shiritake noodles?
the noodles are just fibre so I don't think it would interfere...best way to find out would be to try one or two "shakes" with the noodles and then see what happens
Old 10-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #794

~Week 6, Day 1. Shakes, meal~
So looking back, the shake weeks were my favorite, the meat weeks stalled me and now I am back to losing again. I am trying not to get frustrated and praying the next two weeks are successful. I did very, very well on my shakes and meal yesterday. I so wanted some "Friday Night Wine" but I refrained. For all of you who don't have a whole heck of a lot to lose, you know how this goes. Slow....lol

Louise,
WOWZA! Awesome weight loss.

Hi everyone...gotta do a drive by. Kiddo has swimming this morning.

Food today:
chocolate shake, pumpkin shake, roasted chicken with lc bbq sauce & some type of veggie.

I am only drinking about 8 ounces of caffiene. No Diet Cokes. Only a bit of Diet Rootbeer. Still walking, swimming.

The weekends are hard for some of ya'..hang tough.

Diamond Deb...get to bed early! You have to get up early. You are in my prayers.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #795
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Just4Me
Stats: Despairing/ Trusting/Content
WOE: knife+fork (and/or spoon)
End of week 4 summary:

total loss of 3.2 lbs (334.8 to 331.6)
normal size 9 jeans to loose size 8 jeans

Week 1 loss was 2 lbs:
I was one of the ppeople adding an egg to each shake. Otherwise, followed the plan carefully. Had either coconut milk or HWC in my shakes, as taste/desire dictated. Had an Atkins-style low-carb meal once per day (lower carb than those outlined in the 6WC book).

Week 2--no loss: but TOM, and no gain either Also ditched the eggs in shakes, as I'm a big beef eater, and the Eades put up that (annoying and almost insulting) post about reading comprehension and following the plan "as written" (without acknowledging the non-specificity of the book, and the provisions in question)

Week 3--meat meals:
I failed miserably to eat enough. It was difficult for me to eat 3x per day, let alone more often, or of sufficient quantities to increase my protein/fat intake. I did drop carbs. I did not feel good this week---it's the same old story for me: too low everything (due to small appetite) means I don't eat enough. Weight went UP 1 lb this week.

Week 4--supposed to be meat meals, but went back to 3-and-1:
This was a much more comfortable week: I went back to 3-and-1 with eggs in each shake, but also attempted to increase my fat and protein while keeping my carbs HIGHER as per the 3-and-1 weeks. During week 4, I lost 1.8 lbs, bringing me to my all-time low on the 6WC.

In weeks 3 and 4, I reintroduced morning tea (caff, of course) with a little HWC. It now makes me feel to jittery---OR it makes me sleepy. But not perky. So I'm tweaking this habit to less tea (just enough for divine sippage) and less HWC, and still considering doing away with the habit all together.

In week 4, that ends tomorrow (Sunday), I had 2 non -low carb items: (1) a small baked potato; and (2) a small plate of nachos. Both were not bad, though nothing to write home about and certainly nothing to create temptations. I ate them about 3 or 4 days apart. Each time, I chose to eat them because I felt the kind of tired/dull-witted/stupor that I feel when I used to think my BG got low, though now I think it has to do with transport of thyroid hormones to cells in usable form. Both starches I ate with plenty of fat, and also meat but less meat than I would have if I'd not eaten the potato/nachos. In other words, I was consciously trying to blunt the insulin impact of the starch by upping fat, and controlling protein. I learned that a small baked potato with 4 tablespoons of butter (yes, you read that right! ) and a 1/2 cup of cheese is pretty darn good! lol

I had originally planned, after the 1st 4 weeks, to repeat 3-and-1 for a week, then the meat meals for a week, as the book suggests. I think instead I'll repeat the SPIRIT of weeks 1/2 and weeks 3/4, as I ended up doing in week 4: one week of lower cal, higher carb, sky high protein, followed by another week of same levels of carb, higher cal, higher protein. Wash, rinse, repeat. I'll do this for 2 weeks (one cycle each) and see what happens.

I have to admit, though---after this past week 4, eating sky high protein, higher fat than weeks 1/2, and carbs around the levels of weeks 1/2, I have felt really good. I kinda don't want to change that, either. So maybe I better amend my plan---since week 4 ends tomorrow for me, I'll give myself the weekend to think about it.

I hope you all have a great weekend! We had some sun this morning, but now, 2 hours later, it's dark and gray, and the rain is a-pouring. lol Ah well, c'est la vie en automne au Oregon, non?

Last edited by Just4Me; 10-17-2009 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: clarity
Just4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #796

Oh my! Coffee is good! lol... I had a few cups at breakfast with Mom. I had a wonderful omelet. I had a few last minute errands to run today to get ready for my trip so I got a latte (added my own stevia) and nursed that as I went. I had to buy a new, smaller bra...

I took final measurements this morning and am very pleased with my results. Week 4 was cut short two days because I'm going out to town tomorrow. I did not take Bust/Braline measurements at the end of week one so they are missing.

Final Results:

______________ Week 1____Week 2____Week 3____Week 4____ Total Results:

Bust:__________________ -1.00" ____ -1.00" ____ -1.00" ______ -3.00"
Braline:________________ -1.25" ____ -1.00" ____ -1.00" ______ -3.25"
Natural Waist: -1.00" ____ -0.50" ____ -1.00" ____ -1.00" ______ -3.50"
Navel:_______ -1.00" ____ -1.00" ____ -1.00" ____ -1.00" ______ -4.00"
Hips:________ -1.50" ____ -1.50" ____ -1.00" ____ -0.75" ______ -4.75"

I used all the supplements and usually got in only 2 shakes the first two weeks. I added a shake in weeks 3 & 4 because it was hard to get enough protein. I still don't think my calories/protein were high enough.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 10-17-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Old 10-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #797

Quote:
That sounds good. I've often wondered about a savory way to use protein powder. I've never used shiritake noodles so can't say on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
~Week 6, Day 1. Shakes, meal~
So looking back, the shake weeks were my favorite, the meat weeks stalled me and now I am back to losing again. I am trying not to get frustrated and praying the next two weeks are successful. I did very, very well on my shakes and meal yesterday. I so wanted some "Friday Night Wine" but I refrained. For all of you who don't have a whole heck of a lot to lose, you know how this goes. Slow....lol

Diamond Deb...get to bed early! You have to get up early. You are in my prayers.
The shake weeks were my favorite part, too, and so easy. No thinking involved.

I don't drink that often, anyway, so I may just decide to do without any alcohol at all for a while. I usually just indulge when I am out.

I'm hoping to be able to get to bed very early. I'm sure I'll have time for a few naps tomorrow, too. It's a 10 hour drive! Thanks for the prayers. They are much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Me View Post
End of week 4 summary:

total loss of 3.2 lbs (334.8 to 331.6)
normal size 9 jeans to loose size 8 jeans
You did great! Why let the scale (which is not capable of showing fat loss) rule your emotions? You've sure lost a lot of fat to be swimming in those jeans.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 10-17-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Old 10-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #798

I'm on a dinner break and then I really have to get down to business & finish as much of my packing as possible. I can't wait to be on our way!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #799

Gallery: melsybop
Stats: praying in the Grotto
WOE: waiting for the prayers to take hold
Start Date: no time like now
*waves*

Diamond Deb mentioned this book and after looking at it in the book shop today I bought it...ready to start tomorrow with having read 1/2 the book and leap into day 1.Better pack my coffee maker way*faints*
melsybop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #800

Well, it looks like I am doing a mish-mosh right now and cannot really call it the 6 week plan anymore. I do believe this is an ideal jump start for me and even if the plan has flaws, I enjoyed the challenge.

For the next 30 days, I am going to do what I can to get some more inches & pounds off but because I am doing shakes, I am also doing caffiene ( a bit).

So with all do respect, I will bow out of the thread.

Wishing you all great success for this jump start and then finding a way to get to your own goals.

Its been a pleasure

Old 10-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #801
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KarmicWhimsy
WOE: generic low carb
Good luck to you!!!
KarmicWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #802

stay Steve,,you can point out to me the flaws and let downs along the way.

I have been doing a Glucerna 3X a day for the week but ended up with gross carbyness at night..

So I started today...shakes and an asian beef and veggies for dinner.Not enough water and need to get my supplements in.

NONE of the Leucine, Dribose or DAG is available here...going to the States on the weekend and will get some.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #803

lol...Melsy..your avatar! I love it. Well does your protein powder have the Leucine? I did not buy any oil at all. fyi

Karmic,
thanks babe. Onward we trudge! Never quit...thats what keeps us winners.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #804

No..I only had access to SISU and there was none in there.Will check GNC this week.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #805
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsybop View Post
No..I only had access to SISU and there was none in there.Will check GNC this week.
Hi Canadianchickie,

I found my leucine at the GNC on Robson Street in downtown Van. it's powdered form and with the "get big" supplements section. I imagine any of the GNCs will have the powdered form. I also recall seeing a BCAA supplement with lots of leucine in it at Your Nutrition House (again on Robson, but there outlets at Richmond centre and Oakridge (not sure whether you are in the lower mainland) and I think they are associated with Alive! as well, so you could try there)

day 5 for me, weekend was tougher than the week because hubby is happily drinking his wine and food is always available at home. At work there's nothing I can eat so don't feel so deprived

don't know what if any weight is lost but things feel looser, especially at the waist. I finally did the VAT measurement and it came out at 9 lying down and all of 8.5 standing so I've got lots of VAT to lose!!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #806
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cathieinut
Stats: restart 209.6/162/145
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restart (4th time around) 5/18/09
Hope everyone had a better weekend than I did...I got sick (thanks little grandson) and spent most of it either asleep in bed or staring at the TV or reading my recently arrived 6wc book.
For those who are well on their way in the plan...did you do all of the supplements listed? I looked at my DH's Bio35 and even those didn't have quite enough of several of the vitamins or minerals listed. I am leary of buying all kinds of supplements for a 6 week time period.
I also wonder since I am still in the midst of ongoing weight loss, all-be-it slow, if I should wait a bit longer to get more of the general fat off my body.
I am going to try the measuring and see what it tells me as of right now.
I also wonder about my shape in general...I am an apple for sure and wonder if I am always going to have that shape even if the Cure works for me perfectly??

I would love to do an internet chat with the good Dr's about this plan.

Stevie- it was great getting to know you a bit and I am sure we will see you around the boards LOL
Deb- I am encouraged by your stats...hope things continue for you in the right direction.
Louise- great to see such a wonderful success for you too! Again some great incentive for me LOL
JUst4Me- What a great thing to have lost a whole pant size but I am not sure I understand? You are more than 300 lbs and can wear a size 8? Or maybe I just am confused.
Remind Myself...Being thin is better than anything else tastes right now!
Current: 162 down 43.6 from re-start

Exercise this week: Mon,Tue,Wed,Thus, Fri, Sat off , Sun
Cathieinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #807

Day 2...had a massive headache last night,.,,no clue why.

This morning my shake was gross..I made the black forest cake one and all I could taste was stevia.YUCK!

But this afternoon I made a cup of Chai tea and let it sit to room temp(tea bag kind) and used vanilla whey and a splash of heavy cream and some vanilla hazelnut davinci aand YUM!!!Tasted like a starbucks chai latte!!!!!!

Chicken and cheese on salad.Dinner.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #808
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Just4Me
Stats: Despairing/ Trusting/Content
WOE: knife+fork (and/or spoon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
...did you do all of the supplements listed? I looked at my DH's Bio35 and even those didn't have quite enough of several of the vitamins or minerals listed. ...
I've taken all the supplements as written, plus extra Cal/Mg, Vit D, Vit E, and Vit A. I got a new multi that had everything (or more) that the book said. Search for Nutraceutical Sciences Institute SYNERGY line of multi vitamins. I got Version 5--Women's, and have to take 8 pills per day. But it's only $40 per month, as opposed to buying all the supplements separately, and that's not more pills than I'd otherwise have to take. They have many different versions, too. I remember looking at Version 11 as a possibility, too, and chose Vers 5 for other preferences.

EDIT to add: I forgot to mention that, based on the very brief discussion in 6WC, I've taken melatonin almost each night since starting. I started with 1 mg, but felt sleepy/sluggish all the next day. So I cut my 1 mg tablets in 1/2, and that is the perfect amount for me. I haven't slept this well this consistently since I was pre-pubescent. And just FYI, my sister takes 3 mg of melatonin per night. So bodies' needs can vary greatly---even within the same bloodline.

Quote:
JUst4Me- What a great thing to have lost a whole pant size but I am not sure I understand? You are more than 300 lbs and can wear a size 8? Or maybe I just am confused.
Ha! lol Yes, both are correct. My jeans are the Rightfit line at Lane Bryant, which recently switched its sizing to single-digits. Gives new meaning to "vanity sizing", no? lol So I thought if my weight doesn't ever change, but eventually I'm in a normal size 8, I'll just consider myself gold---high density! that still cracks me up

Last edited by Just4Me; 10-19-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Just4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
Stevie- it was great getting to know you a bit and I am sure we will see you around the boards LOL
Thanks. I have enjoyed talking to you.. I wish you tons of sucsess and feel better!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #810
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile View Post
If it's slowing down can a newbie still join you

I started yesterday after reading this thread (the whole darn thing!) and the one on the PP site. I've done low carb most of my adult life to maintain weight, did a stint of hcg a couple of years ago. The hcg worked well and I kept it off but then last summer I got a double whammy of gluten intolerance and hypothyroid and since then am up about 40lbs without changing my diet

I'm going to get the book today and am looking forward to the journey with you all!
I couldn't make it all the way through I have my PP on order, and will be starting when it arrives. I'm already drinking half-caf, so I'll be adding in decaf more and more as this week progresses till I'm straight decaf.....that's allowed isn't it?

I had lost over 100 pounds of Atkins, then took a nosedive over the past few months and gained half of it back. I don't know if it's because of menopause, but I just can't seem to get back on. So, I'm taking a nosedive in the opposite direction