Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #721
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: costa5
Hi everyone... wrapping up day 10 here. Only 3 more days then on to the meat weeks! I felt pretty drained earlier in the day. I think the combination of giving blood yesterday, getting my period, and skipping my 3rd shake last night all came together to wipe me out. So for the first time I ate an oz of cheese and a little avocado with my noon shake. I think it helped.

Dh and I got a sitter this afternoon and went and got massages. Wonderful! If you've never had a Chinese acupressure massage I cannot recommend it highly enough - so much better than Swedish massage, IMO. I used to live in China and would get massages regularly but could never find a place in the US to get acupressure massage. Then, strangely enough, a Chinese family opened up a place at our local mall. We just finished dinner: scallops (our favorite) with asparagus and salad so life is pretty good.

Noticed something today: I'm just not as hungry for dinner as I was when this whole thing started. It used to be that We COULD NOT WAIT for dinner and were eating at like 5pm. Tonight we ate at our usual 7pm.. it's like my hunger switch gets turned off sometime in the afternoon and I could honestly go without dinner altogether (not that I'd want to!).

Lost almost a pound overnight but I'm sure it must be partly due to the loss of blood volume.

Can't believe I only have 3 more days of shakes. This is by far the hardest 'diet' I've ever done but I can't complain about the results. I've learned I can survive without fruit, too.
costa5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #722
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tril View Post
"No, I really don't snack."

If you snacked on protein/fat that would get your daily totals up.

"At your height you should be able to eat a lot more than that at goal weight regardless of your frame size. Do you do weight training?"

Maybe I "should" be able to... but experience tells me I can't. Probably a YMMV thing. I walk a lot... 3 to 5 miles most days of the week. I have sciatica which flares up when I lift so I haven't done it in a while. It put me flat on my back for 9 days in July. Just not ready to risk that again yet. Walking helps so that's what I do.
We might have different definitions of snacking. I think of it as unplanned mindless eating. To me it makes more sense to plan whatever number of meals I need. Hence 4 or 5 right now. adding fat can easily get the calories up but adding protein is more difficult. That is best spread out.

Is that goal weight based on a past size/weight? If so you should be able to reach that size at a higher weight as you lose if you have gained LBM.

The calories you suggest you'll need to maintain are just disturbingly low. Seriously. I hope you find you'll be able to eat more than that once you're there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa5 View Post
Hi everyone... wrapping up day 10 here. Only 3 more days then on to the meat weeks! I felt pretty drained earlier in the day. I think the combination of giving blood yesterday, getting my period, and skipping my 3rd shake last night all came together to wipe me out. So for the first time I ate an oz of cheese and a little avocado with my noon shake. I think it helped.

Dh and I got a sitter this afternoon and went and got massages. Wonderful! If you've never had a Chinese acupressure massage I cannot recommend it highly enough - so much better than Swedish massage, IMO. I used to live in China and would get massages regularly but could never find a place in the US to get acupressure massage. Then, strangely enough, a Chinese family opened up a place at our local mall. We just finished dinner: scallops (our favorite) with asparagus and salad so life is pretty good.

Noticed something today: I'm just not as hungry for dinner as I was when this whole thing started. It used to be that We COULD NOT WAIT for dinner and were eating at like 5pm. Tonight we ate at our usual 7pm.. it's like my hunger switch gets turned off sometime in the afternoon and I could honestly go without dinner altogether (not that I'd want to!).

Lost almost a pound overnight but I'm sure it must be partly due to the loss of blood volume.

Can't believe I only have 3 more days of shakes. This is by far the hardest 'diet' I've ever done but I can't complain about the results. I've learned I can survive without fruit, too.
Sounds like you're doing well! You're being tired does make sense but I doubt the scale going down had anythign to do with giving blood. If it did there'd be tons more people wanting to donate.

You can have some fruit on this plan. You don't need to do without unless you want to. I have a bit some days, others I don't have any.

The massage sounds wonderful. I've had massage before but never a Chinese acupressure massage.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #723

It really is the little things...

Mom made my day by saying I look like I've lost weight. She rarely makes comments like that & I see her often so I really wasn't expecting her to notice. The fact that she did means it must show!
Old 10-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #724

This is day 7 of week 3. I averaged 11g ECC this past week.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #725
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
Stats: 54 yo, 5'4", CW 135, highest adult wt 225
WOE: current: maintenance
Start Date: started controlling carbs Nov '04
"We might have different definitions of snacking. I think of it as unplanned mindless eating."

Yes, we DO have different definitions! I plan my snacks as carefully as I plan my meals. It's certainly not mindless or unplanned.

"Is that goal weight based on a past size/weight?"

Yes... and it wasn't so long ago, either. Most of my clothes I'm working to get back into. I can get into them, but I do not like how they fit/look.

"Mom made my day by saying I look like I've lost weight."

OMG... congrats!!! I don't think my mother has ever said that to me. Other people have, but not her. I'd be doing that smilie dance, too!

Good luck as you enter week 4!
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #726
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KarmicWhimsy
WOE: generic low carb
Jumping in here! I have about 30 pounds to lose, and I swear it's mostly around my middle, argh...

I start Week 2 tomorrow. I love the 3 shakes and 1 meal. I'm one that can eat the same thing over and over again, so the shakes suit me just fine. I guess I'm boring, LOL - each shake is exactly the same - chocolate protein powder, coconut milk and water. I shake it up in my shaker and then chug it. If it tasted bad, I wouldn't even notice! I've been having my one meal at lunch.

So far so good. I've lost 3.5 lbs in Week 1. I haven't measured since last Monday when I started this, but I do feel like I've lost some inches. My pants are a bit looser. Ya!

You guys are great. I've really enjoyed reading this thread.
KarmicWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmicWhimsy View Post
Jumping in here! I have about 30 pounds to lose, and I swear it's mostly around my middle, argh...

I start Week 2 tomorrow. I love the 3 shakes and 1 meal. I'm one that can eat the same thing over and over again, so the shakes suit me just fine. I guess I'm boring, LOL - each shake is exactly the same - chocolate protein powder, coconut milk and water. I shake it up in my shaker and then chug it. If it tasted bad, I wouldn't even notice! I've been having my one meal at lunch.

So far so good. I've lost 3.5 lbs in Week 1. I haven't measured since last Monday when I started this, but I do feel like I've lost some inches. My pants are a bit looser. Ya!

Diane, welcome to LCFs & Welcome to The Cure!

It sounds like you've had a good first week!

If you should decide you'd like a wee bit of variation to the shakes you can add extracts. I love a few drops of mint in my chocolate shakes.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #728

Quote:
"We might have different definitions of snacking. I think of it as unplanned mindless eating."

Yes, we DO have different definitions! I plan my snacks as carefully as I plan my meals. It's certainly not mindless or unplanned.

"Is that goal weight based on a past size/weight?"

Yes... and it wasn't so long ago, either. Most of my clothes I'm working to get back into. I can get into them, but I do not like how they fit/look.

"Mom made my day by saying I look like I've lost weight."

OMG... congrats!!! I don't think my mother has ever said that to me. Other people have, but not her. I'd be doing that smilie dance, too!

Good luck as you enter week 4!
It sounds like your idea of snacking is like my extra meals.

Keep doing what you're doing & you'll be back in those clothes before long.

Thanks, Mom really surprised me with that comment. It's not like her but I hope she makes more comments like that in the future.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:54 AM   #729
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moonius
Stats: 380/308/200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2008
This is day one of week 2 for me. I began last week using three scoops of whey protein powder but backed off to 2 scoops just because that's a lot of protein (26 grams per scoop). Haven't been able to consume 3 shakes a day, just been sticking with 2. Just don't have the need for a third one. I add HWC and a spoonful of olive oil instead of DAG oil.
moonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #730
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour Puss
Stats: 247/168/148 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/15/2005
Thanks for the replies re using leucine in wks 3 & 4! I'm not gonna sweat it, however, after looking thru the book again I see that Dr. Eades refers to "BCAA capsules" (p. 134 in my UK version of The Six Week Cure) which are leucine and some other amino acids. I searched BCAA capsules and found exactly what I was looking for. Hoping to pick them up today. Just need to make sure what I buy has the 6-8 g leucine he recommends. Would like to be more of a stickler on the leucine because to be honest I don't follow their "suggested" meal plans at all. I just eat VLC for my one solid meal a day now during wk 2 and when I start wk 3 I don't see any need to change that, will just cut out the dairy.
Glamour Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #731
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

Sounds like you're doing well! You're being tired does make sense but I doubt the scale going down had anythign to do with giving blood. If it did there'd be tons more people wanting to donate.
I know it sounds silly... . I was thinking a pint of liquid weighs 1lb.. so wouldn't it make sense that you would drop a pound of scale weight until your body can compensate for that loss of blood volume?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #732
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
It really is the little things...

Mom made my day by saying I look like I've lost weight. She rarely makes comments like that & I see her often so I really wasn't expecting her to notice. The fact that she did means it must show!
Yaa! You're right, it's totally the little things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmicWhimsy View Post

Sounds like this plan is working great for you! I think now that I'm almost done with the shakes I care less what they taste like and just down them. Not at the beginning, though! I was carefully crafting each and every one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonius View Post
This is day one of week 2 for me. I began last week using three scoops of whey protein powder but backed off to 2 scoops just because that's a lot of protein (26 grams per scoop). Haven't been able to consume 3 shakes a day, just been sticking with 2. Just don't have the need for a third one. I add HWC and a spoonful of olive oil instead of DAG oil.
I haven't used the DAG oil. Sometimes I'll throw some coconut oil into a shake. I also frequently miss my 3rd shake if I'm just not hungry.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #733
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa5 View Post
I know it sounds silly... . I was thinking a pint of liquid weighs 1lb.. so wouldn't it make sense that you would drop a pound of scale weight until your body can compensate for that loss of blood volume?
I think your reasoning is totally right. If I took 1 pint of liquid out of you, you would weight 1# less. Of course, your body begins to replace that blood immediately... so it won't last long!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #734
Senior LCF Member

"Just need to make sure what I buy has the 6-8 g leucine he recommends."

Be sure to consider the amount of leucine in your food as well. It would take a lot of capsules to reach 6 to 8 g. One brand I looked at online had 1.6g per FOUR capsule serving. They suggest 1 to 2 servings a day. That's certainly not enough for this plan. You'd need at least 16 capsules a day (6.4g). So if you go the capsule route... make sure you know what you're getting in the food you eat so you don't have to take 16 capsules a day! That would be rather expensive, too... 120 capsule bottle for around $22 (NOW brand BCAA I looked at) would last one week.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #735
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
~Week 4 day 3~
All is well on this end. Defrosting some ribs and whole chickens. I am going to get back to the shakes tomorrow I think.

DD,
so thrilled your mom noticed your loss. I bet you are getting excited for your up coming mission. I pray for a successful journey for you and your team.

Costa,
for awhile there I had dinner at 4:30 and then yes, it tapered off. Isnt it great not to be consumed with "whats to eat?"! lol - way to go.

KarmicWhimsy,
welcome! So 30 pounds to lose and you are starting at a very ideal time! I always thought that if you get into weight loss mode before the holidays start rolling in, you may actually get a stride going and lose, lose, lose during the holidays. Many gain, gain, gain. I am not going to be that person this year. Hope you rock this plan!

moonius,
do you taste the olive oil? I didnt use any oil at all. Just the HWC. I am in love with HWC on this plan. lol

Glamour Puss,
morning. I do a very lc meal also...I dont follow the book cuz I don't have it. lol..but I keep my carbs low and portions under control. You will find your stomach shrinks and cannot eat a big meal anyway.

costa5,
Does the coconut oil help with hunger? I was thinking of adding it a bit.

Tril,
Morning! Have a wonderful day.

Hi Snaggle, Home, Whippet and everyone else.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #736

PS: Deb is right...get extracts and perhaps spices. I love the pumpkin spice shake. Especially this time of year. But note they have a bit of carbs (per ******)

Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #737
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Good morning everyone! I am doing the shakes today. I went out drinking Saturday night and due to my overindulgence of spirits I had a hard time eating low carb yesterday ; ) I have no regrets, the party that I had was a blast followed by a school reunion of sorts at the local watering hole. I am getting ready to have a coffee with protein powder and a long walk. Have a great day!
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #738
Senior LCF Member

HS... sometimes it IS worth it! Good job getting back on track this Monday morning!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #739
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Today is sort of my last day of the 6 week cure. I have reviewed weeks 5 and 6 and have decided to adapt them to my JUDDD (alternate day diet) plan. I will eat the foods allowed, but do it with calorie cycling. Probably will do 500 on down days and 1700-1900 on my up days. I know I cannot really call it 6W. Cure anymore, but I just never felt right doing it. I missed my alternate days. I really didn't like the v.l.c. (weeks 3/4) part and didn't lose any lbs in those weeks either. The odd thing is that neither did my husband. I did lose 1 inch in my belly however, which is great. I have also been following the workout plan in "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" which is all about leaning out, so I can't say which part of my efforts was more effective, but I really like my new style of working out, and feel it all over my body after the workouts.
I bought a pair of Michael Kors size 10 cords yesterday and was very excited that they fit. I know sizes are not what they used to be, but I haven't gotten into size 10' in 27 years!

I may write a review of the plan on Amazon. Haven't decided.

I will say that this plan did what I wanted to do which was shake things up a bit with my body. It motivated me to really stick to a strict plan which is good. I do not think it is the very best plan to adapt to a lifestyle for me, but I do think the 2 week liver detox was something I will try and do at least once or twice a year.
I have a lot of complaints about how the plan was written and how the book was edited, but thanks to all of you here, most of my questions and issues were figured out.
I will keep checking in to see how you are all doing. Good luck.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #740
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
moonius,
do you taste the olive oil? I didn't use any oil at all. Just the HWC. I am in love with HWC on this plan. lol
Stevie Renee, I don't even taste the olive oil once everything is blended together. You can't even tell that it's in there!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #741

Wow...I've got great Week 3 losses!

Phase II Week 3/Total Losses Results:

Bust: -1" Total: -2"
Braline: -1" Total: -2.25"
Natural Waist: -1" Total: -2.5"
Navel: -1" Total: -3"
Hips: -1" Total: -4"

One more week to go!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #742

Quote:
"Just need to make sure what I buy has the 6-8 g leucine he recommends."

Be sure to consider the amount of leucine in your food as well. It would take a lot of capsules to reach 6 to 8 g. One brand I looked at online had 1.6g per FOUR capsule serving. They suggest 1 to 2 servings a day. That's certainly not enough for this plan. You'd need at least 16 capsules a day (6.4g). So if you go the capsule route... make sure you know what you're getting in the food you eat so you don't have to take 16 capsules a day! That would be rather expensive, too... 120 capsule bottle for around $22 (NOW brand BCAA I looked at) would last one week.
Yes, doesn't the book suggest we should have at least 12g leucine from food & supplements combined?

Capsules are very expensive to use. That is why most people just go ahead and use the powder despite the bad taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
~Week 4 day 3~
All is well on this end. Defrosting some ribs and whole chickens. I am going to get back to the shakes tomorrow I think.

DD,
so thrilled your mom noticed your loss. I bet you are getting excited for your up coming mission. I pray for a successful journey for you and your team.
I'm going to be interested to see how you & others do with additional weeks. I wonder if your inch losses will be as good. Going back & forth between the shakes & the meat weeks should keep the body from adjusting and slowing down. Let's hope it works that way.

Thanks for the prayers. I'm starting to put out things to pack today. I need to work on going to bed a lot earlier than usual this week. Getting up at 4 am Sunday is going to be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
Good morning everyone! I am doing the shakes today. I went out drinking Saturday night and due to my overindulgence of spirits I had a hard time eating low carb yesterday ; ) I have no regrets, the party that I had was a blast followed by a school reunion of sorts at the local watering hole. I am getting ready to have a coffee with protein powder and a long walk. Have a great day!
I'm glad you had a great time and no regrets. That is the only way to indulge. Feeling guilty about an indulgence completely defeats the purpose. Being able to indulge once in a while & then getting back on the working plan is the key to success long term.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
Today is sort of my last day of the 6 week cure. I have reviewed weeks 5 and 6 and have decided to adapt them to my JUDDD (alternate day diet) plan. I will eat the foods allowed, but do it with calorie cycling. Probably will do 500 on down days and 1700-1900 on my up days. I know I cannot really call it 6W. Cure anymore, but I just never felt right doing it. I missed my alternate days. I really didn't like the v.l.c. (weeks 3/4) part and didn't lose any lbs in those weeks either. The odd thing is that neither did my husband. I did lose 1 inch in my belly however, which is great. I have also been following the workout plan in "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" which is all about leaning out, so I can't say which part of my efforts was more effective, but I really like my new style of working out, and feel it all over my body after the workouts.
I bought a pair of Michael Kors size 10 cords yesterday and was very excited that they fit. I know sizes are not what they used to be, but I haven't gotten into size 10' in 27 years!

I will say that this plan did what I wanted to do which was shake things up a bit with my body. It motivated me to really stick to a strict plan which is good. I do not think it is the very best plan to adapt to a lifestyle for me, but I do think the 2 week liver detox was something I will try and do at least once or twice a year.
I have a lot of complaints about how the plan was written and how the book was edited, but thanks to all of you here, most of my questions and issues were figured out.
Congrats on the size 10s!

I'm glad the plan did what you wanted for you. Good luck with your plan from here on out.

The Cure is not meant to really be a longterm lifestyle plan, IMO. The Eades themselves call it a jumpstart plan.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #744
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggle View Post

Wooooohoooooo! Size 10's good for you. Who cares if sizes have changed? It always blows my mind when people whine about sizes changing. I always thought like you, the size 10's may have or have not changed but I certainly could not fit in them before. I actually think some sizes have changed but also think people make too much of it. I have clothes from 10 years ago that I kept as a size guide and they really are not that drastically different. I cannot speak for 20 years ago because I was in junior sizes then and I don't shop in juniors anymore. My goal was to be a size 8 and I refuse to complain about it vanity size or not.

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #745
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
HS... sometimes it IS worth it! Good job getting back on track this Monday morning!
It is isn't it? Thank you for the support!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #746
Senior LCF Member

So what are some of you eating in weeks three and four? I would like to see your sample menus.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #747
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow...I've got great Week 3 losses!
Excellent results!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #748

~ Week 4, day 5~
Back to the 3 shakes, 1 meal. I am bummed that the meat weeks didn't produce but not surprised. My past experience has never been a success with meat days. Because I have more to go - not much, about 8-9 pounds - the shakes really are effective. And since the Eade's said if you are not at goal by week 5, the shake plan is ok to restart.

I am holding my inch loss and weight loss of 5 pounds now. And its a delight to wear my size 6 jeans. I will say for all its flaws ( the plan), I did lose inches all over. I am not so disgusted looking in the mirror.

Snaggle,
Good luck on your journey. Its been great fun having you here. I also appreciated very much your posts about the flaws of the plan because it opened my eyes. See you on the boards!

Deb,
wow! Thats an amazing inch loss!!! Thats very cool. The plan is doing what it said it would do.

Morning Tril!

Homestretch,
is your head still in the game for the shakes? I was STARVING yesterday so I ended up eating more meals. Only did one shake. Today will be better. Part of the problem is we had tuna sauted in olive oil with cajun spices. Just not enough to hold the appetite.

Moon,
for me, weeks 3-4....I ate bacon, eggs, tomato. Then I had things like roasted chicken ( made at home) with a side of cooked cauliflower ( faux potato) mixed with green beans, black olives, white pepper. We also ate lots of chicken thighs grilled on the bbq. I did enjoy some strawberries also.In the beginning, my meat portions were large but tapered eventually. We had steak, hamburger, sauteed mushrooms. We ate like royalty I think!

I have been sleeping terribly and I know that is part of my issue. I diluted the coffee and only drank 8 ounces. The rest of the day is water and hot tea.

Its rainy today so hot tea is going to be a pivital -in-between-shakes stave off hunger plan!

Menu:
weak coffee with coconut oil ( this should be interesting. Wonder if it will kill my appetite)
Hot tea
shake 1: pumpkin spice
shake 2: chocolate
meal: bbq ribs with lc bbq sauce, cooked cauliflower
shake 3: pumpkin spice

I am holding my loss at 158 and would like to see if I can shake it up by Halloween. I have a cute pirate outfit to get into. lol
Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #749
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
wow stevie renee -- our stats are so similar. I have 8.5 lbs til goal and I also
I ended up down 5.5 lbs in the 4 weeks I did it. I lost 1.5" in my belly.
I am back to 148.5 today after one down day on Juddd. I am following the guidelines for 6wkCure, but just doing it juddd style.

Keep it up everybody!!!
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #750
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I am considering this. I usually use the atkins shakes, but I decided to make one with my vanilla whey protein power. I used 2 and a half scoops. I just stirred it up and froze it. I ate it and now I feel weird. I feel kinda sick, bloated and having some hot flashes. It does have some warnings on the cannister that say dont take with some medications.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote